Basically a Golden Cavendish blend but with a hint of Fire-Cured blended in provides scintillating taste and flavorful aroma.

Notes: Also sold as 'Wilshire' by TinderBox

Taste

2.6
ctyankeepiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ctyankeepiper (13)

So after hearing just about every pipe smoker I've talked to sing the praises of 1Q sense I started I finally ordered 4 ounces of it wanting to see just how good it was especially sense I was told it's basically a high quality version of Captain Black Royal. When the package it came in, along with some Lane Limited BCA, I couldn't wait to open it and load up a bowl. Smelled real good even before I opened the bag. Once I did, the tobacco was nice and fluffy, not overly moist, not sticky, not dried out, just perfect and the wonderful smell was irresistible. So I loaded up a newly bought Peterson bent bulldog I hadn't gotten around to smoking yet, and gave it a light. I knew right away there was no comparison to any Captain Black blend. Very smooth and tasty with 0 bite, and the room note was amazing. It even got the Mrs'. "ok, you can smoke that in the house" stamp of approval. I always get compliments from everyone on the smell whenever I smoke it in public. Only downside, my 4 ounces is nearly gone, but on the upside there's 8 more on the way as I type. This is hands down my favorite aromatic and one I'll keep in my rotation at all times.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

I experimented with this for a while but ultimately have come to similar conclusions as other reviewers. The blend will not dry out properly, it always leaves moist ash, often burns hot, will not stay lit, and doesn't taste as good as it smells, either.

I am a relatively new piper (six months) but this is the first tobacco to earn the distinction of being pulled from my "stuff to smoke" pile and be moved to my newly created "give away or toss" pile.

If this is representative of Lane tobacco, I'm very unimpressed.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (35)

Sometimes, you cannot do better than the classics. The smell in the pouch is that of golden Cavendish and vaniila and caramel. I have also described the smoke aroma, but just know that the vanilla and caramel is much less pronounced than you might think. The tobacco is nice and the smoke is satisfying if you keep in mind what this is and remember what it is not. I love Burley tobacco and I love the strong stuff like Peterson's Irish Flake. This is just a good aromatic that both the smoker and the people around them can enjoy. I have grown tired of heading outside to the heat and humidity or to the cold and rain just to have a smoke. This tobacco keeps me inside and in front of the TV. The flavor lasts down to the bottom of the bowl and there is no goop left behind if you smoke this properly. That is, slowly sip and pack just a bit lighter than you might a good Burley. I can see why this is the number one selling tobacco in the US. The ash is fine, but not a pure grey. Even the ash in the ashtray smells nice. Smokers can use all the friends they can get right now and this one would certainly make friends and influence people.

CochenBallstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CochenBallstein (10)

I'm giving this 4 stars for a couple of reasons. First, it never pretends to be something it's not, and what it is is a very fine mild aromatic blend that burns great, tastes good and never offends even the most finicky bystander. Second, for the price, it can't be beat for an everyday, or even an 'on occasion' smoke. For under $32 a pound it's cheaper than your typical drug store blend and there's no excuse not to keep some on hand if you like a mild, pleasant smoke. For more body try mixing this in equal parts with Carter Hall and smoke it in a corn cob pipe. Very enjoyable and an improvement over just 1Q alone IMO.

cturnitsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cturnitsa (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A favorite aromatic for me - maybe one of my top handful. Nothing disagreeable here - good flavor, great aroma (both in the jar and in the room). It packs, lights, and puffs very nicely. A bit more forgiving in the Bite area than many other aromatics. I can easily understand how this is an "all day smoker" for some folks. There is no reason to say no.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I stopped into my neighborhood B&M. The guy admitted that he was mostly a cigar smoker, but that this (they call it "Ladies Love It") was their best seller. I bought an ounce, and have been in love ever since! If you are an aromatic smoker, how can you not love this?!?! It packs, lights, and smokes easily. It never bites, and it gets even more delicious as you get closer to the bottom of the bowl. Finally, like the title suggests, the ladies DO love it! Never had anything but compliments about 1Q. Plus, you can get it EVERYWHERE (under dozens of different names)!! It is what you'll find in my pouch, and usually in my pipe!

Update (12/26/2012): I got some more of this from my Secret Santa yesterday completely by accident! She only knew that I liked to smoke a pipe and had never bought pipe tobacco before. So, she stopped by her local B&M and got me an ounce of their "24K", not knowing what it was. Anyway you name it, it's still 1-Q! Lucky for me!! Thanks, Santa!!

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The best aromatic tobacco on the planet by far. The leaf is Golden Virginia Cavendish and some fire cured burleys with the added aromatic. Going to your son/grandson's game outdoors? Smoke this and even the Smoking Nazi's will smile. Tasty,sweet and a bit damp. Like a good bottle of wine, let this blend breeeeeth a little after opening. Giving the blend some air will take care of the moisture level and improve on your enjoyment. I hope Lane never stops producing this fine blend. By itself or blended with a handful of Latakia, it's good.

Update; 1Q is my go to aromatic. One of my favorite blends!

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (13)

I kept reading reviews about Lane 1Q and how it was perfect for newbies like myself. I now must say it is my go to tobacco because it just that good. Mild, burns easy, stays lit just love it. I m one of those corn cob guys people love to put down, but this smokes perfect in a cob. I recommend this to anyone wanting to try a good Cavendish that is easy to mix with other tobaccos to smooth over flavored blends or just take some harshness out of stronger blends!

pfmechoes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pfmechoes (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm fairly new to pipe smoking and a friend of mine gave me a small bag of the 1-Q to try out when I picked up a few corn cob pipes. This stuff smells great in the bag and tastes great during the smoke. Like I said, I'm a novice here and am continuing to learn more about pipe smoking and types of tobaccos that I enjoy, but the 1-Q is really a great combination of light aroma and flavor. The flavor is not overpowering and the smoke is cool with a little sweetness from the Cavendish. I think this will continue to be my standard for a while.

You can't go wrong here. I do notice that if I'm looking for a bit more flavor or punch, I'll have to find another aromatic with a stronger more consistent flavor during the smoke, but overall, this will do fine, especially with the very pleasant room note.

review_again Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
review_again (8)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I tried this blend and found it to be a very friendly smoke. It's tasty, mild and a comfort smoke. it's a blend that can be an everyday smoke. Others have mentioned that it's nothing more than Captain Black. I disagree ..... while it does resemble CB slightly .... it's much smoother ...... another level above. 1-Q is become one of my favorite smokes. I will smoke this daily ... I recommend this to beginners and veterans alike. If you like a tobacco that is mild ..... no bite ...... tasty ...then you should definitely try 1-Q. I understand why this is one of the most popular tobacco blends. It's very yummy! It has a well disguised sweet caramel, vanilla taste but subdued. It is one of my two favorite smokes ...the other being Butternut Burley! The price makes this blend truly a bargain. I will keep it well stocked.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (43)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It's hard to argue with the best selling bulk tobacco in the world.

This is a wonderful blend of quality Virginia and Cavendish leaf mixed with a wonderful vanilla flavoring. To me the flavoring is almost pastry like and carries nicely into the smoke as long as you keep your palate moist and chew on the smoke. By that I mean swish it around your mouth a second or two before exhaling to let the flavors really hit your palate.

It comes at close to perfect moisture level. There really isn't any airing time needed for this or many of Lane Limited's blends.

1Q takes a charring and true light wonderfully and burns nice and evenly to a fine white ash. It doesn't gurgle or bite or burn overly hot. And most importantly it doesn't leave your pipe with a goopy mess.

The room note is terrific. Most people mention smelling roasting marshmallows when I smoke this blend in public.

If you're looking for a go-to aromatic or just a nice aromatic to take a break from other styles this is definitely worth checking out. Since it's in bulk you can sample it without breaking the bank.

Dave_in_desert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave_in_desert (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was my very first pipe tobacco. I bought it at The Tinder Box in 1990 and they call it Wilshire. I Like the taste and smell, but it just doesn't have enough kick in it for me anymore. Yet, somehow I keep going back to it.

sheboyganjohn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sheboyganjohn (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very good room note. Nice light sweet taste, over the top sticky sweet. Can see why this is a top tobacco.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Mild, Smooth, Mellow, Not much Flavor but it is a little Sweet. Trout Stream from HPCS Adirondack at Pipes and Cigars is better than 1-Q

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

Oh with the hype surrounding this blend,,i finally had the chance to try it out during the chicago pipe show..i ended up with 2 pounds purchase eventually!!! the blend is fine ribbon cut that seems to be dipped in molasses, luckely that is not the character it reflects throughout the smoke. very consistant blend, burns without problem leaving fine ash and some times few dottels if u smoke it fast, taste reminds me of captain black some where between gold and royal but this one have a better quality casing to it and lacks the combustion heat that the former blend produce. price is reasonably cheap when purchased in bulk, the room note is acceptable by many and the only draw back it has is the fine cut which makes it burn fast leaving you craving for more. i would smoke this blend slowly as it can hit u back where it hurts (yes your tounge).

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have only smoked one bowl of this, but I see it fit to review. i love smoking Lane's straight black Cavendish (BCA) so I was pleased to hear that this had golden Cavendish in it. This blend was sweet, smooth, delightfully aromatic, and did not bite my tongue. I say that for new pipe smokers it is a must-try, and for the seasoned smoker who wants to break away from the heavy stuff with something that can please he/she and the people around.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (20)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Just to add another 2 cents worth, Lane 1Q is a pleasant smoke anytime and anywhere. Gently sweet, a room note that is among the best in the industry, and doesn't really ghost a pipe. A great introduction to the hobby of pipe smoking and worthy to be a "go to" blend for anyone who likes a mild aromatic. Most who find this too moist or note a wet bowl bottom might benefit from packing a bit more loosely and puffing a bit more slowly. Properly executed, 1Q is a refreshing and very forgiving tobacco that I enjoy often. It is also a remarkable value.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Always purchased in bulk

Purchased From: Many locations

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)

I tried Lane 1Q at the urging of a friend and based on reviews and I was quite pleased! Easily a daily smoke, I buy this in bulk and love it. Folks around always have a positive comment on its aroma. Its mild in the nicotine department and I recommend it to new pipe smokers regularly.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't smoke aromatics often and when I do I tend to look to the more "high end" aromatics. The fact is that there is a reason why this is one of the top selling aromatics today and 1Q has forced me to rethink my aro purchases.

This is a solid aromatic at a great price point. Sweet, but not overly so. The tobacco flavor still comes through and it is mild and pleasant. It doesn't goop up the bowl and is a fine tobacco to try as an introduction to aromatics. It does need to be dried and the only drawback for both aromatic lovers and those that like to dabble is that 1Q lacks the depth can can be found in other aromatics. Recommended.

AntBauer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AntBauer (10)

Great all day smoke. I don't know how you can give this less than 3 stars. One of the best aromatics. Easy to keep lit and no bite. Pleasant room note for non smokers. What more can you ask for? Every pipe smoking forum will mention 1-Q when speaking about aromatics and never anything negative. Great for beginner pipe smokers and old timers alike.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My wife bought my first pipe for me for Christmas along with three samples of tobacco. Lane 1Q under a local tobacconist's label was one of them. I instantly loved it and after trying and liking a huge variety of tobaccos, I still love it.

It is smooth, flavorful, has the best room note, and burns to the bottom of the bowl with ease. I have my first pipe, a Wiley freehand, with a large bowl dedicated to it.

I like it so much, I keep a pound in the cellar.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First things first! If you are not an aromatic smoker or are open to smoking aromatics, SCRAM! Move on down the road, this is not meant for you. You too english smokers, even though the latakia you so love is really an aromatic as in added flavor, you won't like this so go on, go to the next review.

Now, let's get down to a serious review here of a good aromatic. For some reason I have neglected to write a review on this blend. That said, I am amending that as of right now. This is the number one selling blend in the country if not the world! There is a reason for this. It's good! Simple enough. It has a sweet vanilla flavor to it but not overwhelming. It is mild as a kitten with no claws. It will not burn the tongue, smells absolutely wonderful both in the pouch and in the room note. It packs well in the pipe in spite of being somewhat moist, it lights easily and stays lit burning in a nice slow and relaxing way. It is not cloying and it does not leave a pipe smelling like a fruit bowl. No wonder it's number one and then add it is easily available and for a great price. It is a mixed medium to dark brown ribbon cut. It burns down slowly to a fine grey ash with a touch of dottle and a little moisture so pipe cleaners are a must. I could not make this an all day blend like a lot of others but it is a great blend for the sweet tooth and for just relaxing. A crowd pleasure for sure. A great blend for a beginner and an experienced smoker that does not want a huge nicotne fix or has a sensitive mouth. I highly recommend this blend to be tried by all...that are open to aromatics. The others will just miss a good thing in this one!

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)

Update Took away a star. This blend is good as an aro, but it isn't "knock your socks of good." It's more or less a better Captain Black White. So, if you like sweet aro's you should enjoy this blend. If you don't, avoid it, and don't give it bad reviews because you don't have a sweet tooth.

I purchased this tobacco from a smokeshop under the name "Wellington." It was love at first smoke. It's not something I want to smoke every day, maybe once a week, but it sure is good. I'll definitely purchase it again.

1-Q is nutty, sweet, and tastes like tobacco. It took me a while to get the sweetness, because I didn't realize my estate briar was making all my burley's more bitter than they really were. I tried it in a brand new briar, and the sweetness suddenly stood out...

The tobacco smokes very well, stays fairly cool, isn't goopy, and needs few relights. It has a enough nicotine to notice, which is more than I can say for Captain Black. Though like the former brand, I get many compliments on the aroma it leaves behind.

I don't know why the blend doesn't get better reviews. Maybe I just got an abnormally good batch of tobacco; or I just haven't been smoking long enough (I've only been smoking for a year now). Either way, compared to Captain Black it tastes better, is less goopy, smells almost just as good, and leaves a much better aftertaste. Oh, and last thing, did I mention that it's inexpensive?

Mr. Pavel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Pavel (1)

I?ve been smoking tobacco pipes for a little over 3 years now and I would have to say that this is one of my favorites. I am still relativily new to the world of Pipe tobaccos and my knowledge is very limited but, as of right now, 1-Q is 5 star. I bought bag at a tobacconist in Moscow, ID and after my first bag, I had to get some for my private stash. The Tobacconist called it ?Smokey?s Supreme?. Even though the other tobaccos I have in my stash stay pretty dry, this one remains moist under the same circumstances... kind of odd. If you arn?t carful about how you are smoking, this tobacco can heat the pipe up faily quickly and give a little tongue bite, it took me a few bowls to figure it out. The pipe I?m using is some cheap churchwarden knock off from the Czech Republic.

The room aroma is fantasic! I think it is just the right amount of vanilla and caramel and it doesn?t overpower the senses. The taste isn?t as strong as I would have liked but, if you?re standing in front of your tobacco case wondering what to smoke 1-Q or BCA. The price is also one of the bonuses. This tobacco is REALLY inexpensive (God bless the bulk varieties...) so you can hang on to large amounts for you stash and do all kinds of experimenting. I would strongly recommend this tobacco to anyone, veterans and newcomers alike. Enjoy!

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)

One of the most popular aromatics in the world, and the main ingredient in hundreds of 'house' blends at stores. love it or hate it, its good and cheap and widely available. 4 stars.

ironjammer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ironjammer (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I love the vanilla aroma of this tobacco (my wife likes it too), but I find the taste a bit too mild for my preference.

peterson314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peterson314 (3)

Simply a great tobacco. I bought it first from justforhim.com under the name of "just for him" tobacco. It has deep hints of vanilla and maybe caramel, and its aroma is delightful. This is definitely a good evening smoke with a cup of tea. It also works well as cigarette tobacco for all you RYO's out there.

Ring88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ring88 (9)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I did not care for this at all.. I found it to be harsh and bites bad. I got it at a local tobacco shop in Wichita, there are not many in town. The pipe smoker guy said 1-Q sales more that all the others in the shop. so I bought a ounce and brought it home to try. I might be to new to catch all the little things of the tobacco but I got a hard bite of dirt taste or mouth, it was to strong and got no better as I smoked down the bowl. the room note was not that good it has a smell of cheep cig's ashy kind of. once again I could be to new to like this tobacco and need to grow in to it, I have read on here and other sites that sometimes that happens. maybe in 6mo I'll try a few more bowls the 5 or so I have tried in the last week I did not like even a little

RKT123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RKT123 (1)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The jungle drums said this was a huge seller, everyone is smoking it. Maybe they meant once. I found it smoked wet with not that good of a taste; but worst of all it coated the rim of my pipe with goop. Not a blend I wanted to keep; so I split my bulk package into several and gave them away for others to try...maybe it became a favorite of theirs...or not.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Less icky than BCA, but not my idea of what tobacco was intended for. It is the McDonald's cheeseburger of tobaccos. It is like eating, and cheap but ultimately rather unsatisfying compared to grown-up food. For all that it does smell rather pleasant and isn't as bad as some tobaccos. If you need a sweet introduction to tobacco here you go.

BurleyTwirp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyTwirp (5)
Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like this blend, you have to admit to yourself that you like captain black. It's frustrating seeing so many people compliment this blend while making disparaging remarks about OTC's like captain black. 1Q IS captain black royal. no if's and's or but's. I myself find it to be very unpleasant. The disgusting sour taste that creeps in halfway through the bowl. How artificial and chemically the flavoring is. How wet/goopy/greasy the tobacco is to the touch. This blend will absolutely ghost a pipe with that sour chemically layer of soot. In my novice days I had to resuscitate many a pipe after exposing them to this blend and other blends like it. My advice is to skip all captain black blends.

31z40 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
31z40 (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is one of my all time favorite tobaccos. No bite, no harshness, excellent aroma and can be smoked all day or night long.

Icegator66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Icegator66 (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is the first thing I smoke every morning (I like my first smoke of the day to be mild) and have 2 Stanwells that are dedicated to this blend only. I can get this at 3 of my most frequented Tobacco shops all under different names as well as Tender box under Wilshire, and all 4 say it's their biggest seller by far! This is a great first Tobacco for the beginner in my opinion and also comes in handy for blending if your a Veteran. I haven't had some of the same problems/complaints as the other reviewers above, but I have noticed from time to time that one batch purchased here is a little different in some respects from another batch I purchased there. This leaves me to believe that either the blend isn't too consistent, or some Tobacconists may add their own touch at times. Either way I recommend this one if you want something mild and perhaps you should try a couple oz's at more than one location?

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The major stepping stone from the drugstore blends to buying premium tobaccos. I've smoked plenty of this stuff over the years and it's not bad for what it is...a room pleaser. It's for the smoker who thinks a pipe tobacco should smell good for others and has an aroma that non-smokers just think of as what pipe tobacco should smell like. It is moist and is heavily cased but lights easily and I never have a problem keeping it lit until the end. I definately prefer it in a meerschaum over a briar because it smokes much sweeter and drier and really aids in the meer coloring process. I can honestly admit I always keep a few ounces on hand during the year for when I want to smoke in public or not have to think about what I'm smoking. It's also mild enough to start the day off with a cup of coffee and the two interract well. Inexpensive too. A pound at Lil Browns Smokeshop on the web is 13 USD.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

Very pleasantly surprised with the sample i recieved yesterday.Will certainly be buying more in my next order to the US.

Sons of Reagan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sons of Reagan (7)

I love this tobacco. No particular part of it stands out, but it is a good solid mix of tobaccos, that burns cool, and has absolutely no tongue bite. It is really a great all day smoke and lends a great aroma to wherever you are smoking. It is, after all, the number one selling bulk pipe tobacco in the country.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

I started with this blend almost a year ago, and smoke it more regularly that any other. It takes no concentration, burns clean and cool, and has a delightful taste and room note, in my humble opinion. I smoke several others, mostly Va-Pers and Va flakes, and enjoy them all, but this one is, at this point, my go-to aromatic followed closely by McClelland's Fragrant Matured Cake (bulk 2000). Captain Black smokers, try this one and/or RLP-6. They are a better tobacco and cheaper too!

jshrader13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jshrader13 (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this blend as 'Wilshire' from the Tinder Box store in Atlanta. To be fair, I am a novice and this was one of the first blends I've tried. I'm still trying different blends and I haven't found a 'favorite' yet, but I would put this as my #2 choice of four blends I've tried so far. It's not overly flavored, the smell and room note is pleasant, but the smell seems to hang around in my pipe more than other blends. To me, it smokes a bit hotter than other blends I've tried, and if smoked too fast, it leaves me with tongue bite. Again, I am a novice, so it could just be my technique. I think I'd buy more of this blend in the long run, especially once I've gotten more experience in pipe smoking and can enjoy the subtle nuances of the blend.

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (15)

For some reason I put my pipes down about 20 years ago. I couldn't tell you why now. However, I've recently picked them back up again. A coworker gave me about a half ounce of 1Q to get me started again. I like it. As aromatics go it's not a bad smoke. You do have to smoke it somewhat carefully so as not to overheat your pipe and it can be a little "gurgely" (that's not even a real word is it?). I recommend this tobacco as I would recommend a nice vanilla ice cream. I don't always eat butter brickle or almond praline, sometimes I like a simple, uncomplicated bowl of vanilla ice cream. In tobacco, this is the one. And yes, I would consider it to be a beginners blend. But I would not say that one should shun it and leave it behind.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

1Q has to be the very best perfume puffing tobacco in existance. This is a high quality aromatic blend that will not bite. The flovor is mostly tobacco with some swetnesss coming from the flavoring. Speaking of the flavoring, I have no idea what it is or even how to describe it. I can tell you that the smell of smoldering 1Q is what pops in peoples minds when they think of a pipe. Especially those who say they love the smell of a pipe. Don't beleive them, they love the smell of 1Q! Don't beleiveme, fill your pipe with a good Balkan mixture and ask um if they still love the smell of a pipe. I typically am of the opinion that, like cheese, the more foul the smell of the tobacco the better the flavor. 1Q is the exception to this rule. It is a high quality blend that gives perfume puffers a leg to stand on. What can I say, I like it!!!

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

Call me crazy, but after almost 20 years of smoking a Pipe, I have come back to this blend. I have smoked and still enjoy VaPers, English, and other Aromatics, but this tobacco is truly an American Original. What I do is mix 6 ounces of 1-Q with 2 ounces of cubed burley, and all I can say is FANTASTIC!! Granted, it not the most complex of blends, and many think adding cubed burley would make it hotter, but it does not bother me! I smoke about a pound of pipe tobacco a month, and this is currently my all day mixture. It has to be the #1 selling pipe tobacco for a reason! I am not and never will be one of those "Tobacco Snobs"...smoke what you like and enjoy!! Happy Puffing!

CaptainAmerica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptainAmerica (2)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, I know everyone talks bad about 1Q. Here is the deal. I've had many aromatics and pretty much, they all seem about the same to me. I seem to return to this blend because it tastes a little better. I get better results smoking it out of smaller bowls. It seems like the taste lasts longer.

I've been smoking for about a year & I typically smoke full bodied Nicaraguan cigars, so no matter what I do, it seems to me that pipe smoke is always a little more mild. I've tried English blends and personally, they smell like campfire smoke & I can't smoke them indoors, which is why I moved to pipe (to smoke indoors). The 1Q blend I don't get a lot of positive comments on from spouse as far as aroma, but I like how it smells. It does not burn hot, at least it doesn't for me.

I get the sense that there is a group of people who want other people to think that there is "so much more" to pipe smoking outside of the typical aromatic blends you can get from your local shop. Personally, I think it's a lot of BS. There's no way pipe smoke has nearly the nicotine levels as cigar and cigarette smoke. I'm not sure it's supposed to.

I do get some wet dottle at the bottom of the bowl with 1Q, but I get those with other aromatics too. You dump it out and let your pipe dry for a few days. Run a pipe cleaner through it and let it sit. Viola!!

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is great step up for CBW smokers. It does not have the heavy humidor chemical taste of CBW, and leans more to the vanilla side in taste. It is mild to the tongue and far less likely to cause bite. It does need to be dried a bit from the packaging however as it is a little damp and will steam burn the tongue when fresh. The vanilla taste is well pronounced and pleasant without being overpowering. Others around you tend to enjoy the smell as well. Ash tends to cake on top so a small turn midway thru seems to help the burn be consistent.

scottosterday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottosterday (2)

Ahhh lane's 1Q, what can one say, except that it is a classic starter, my tobacconist started me on this, and it was a right choice, it didn't turn me away from pipe tobacco, and it has a pleasant aroma in the bag. good starter.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

From what I understand this is the number one bulk tobacco in the United States. I can see why, it smokes great on its own and also mixes well with about anything you throw at it. I would never smoke it all day but it is nice every once and a while. It has just a bit of sweetness and the Cavendish is fairly mild, but to be honest the reason to smoke this stuff is to please the people around you. I think that a lot of black Cavendish tobaccos should be cut with this tobacco to help in the burning process.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I always wanted to try this, once I heard it was a sort of bulk Captain Black. I had to ask a tobaccanist (Fairhaven Smoke Shop in Bellingham, Washington -- excellent little hole-in-the-wall shop) which of his bulk blends was actually I-Q, and he provided me with a nice sample.

I like this. Tastes of vanilla and caramel, with a room note that should offend no one. I would recommend this to a new pipe smoker over Captain Black, because the flavor and casing are not as excessive. Once you've smoked you pipe a few years, this will probably no longer satisfy, but comes in handy when you need a blend such as this -- might even get you allowed indoors.

Smokering Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokering (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

There isn't much more for me to say about this blend that hasn't been said already. I do have an interesting story about 1Q and am wondering if anybody has heard this rumor. I used to get custom blended tobacco from a guy that had a smoke shop from the 50's to the 80's and then he was blending in his garage in his house. The story goes that Lane blended this tobacco for President Eisenhower. They named it 1Q for the public but named it 'Ike' internally for when he would have it ordered. I dont know if this is true or not but I heard it from a couple of old timers that knew alot about the pipe business and its golden age.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

There's not much that I can say here that hasn't been addressed in the 50 reviews before mine. This really is the basic, everyday cavendish primarily flavored with vanilla. Its not the best, most flavorful, most complex vanilla cavendish out there, but its better than the drug store brands. Well worth the price one pays for it. Just a few quick notes:

Pouch Aroma--Vanilla. Sometimes a bit too sweet smelling, but sometimes it's just right.

Packing--Easy enough. Its less gooey that Capt Black and his drug store buddies, and generally packs fairly cleanly.

Burn--This is one of the spots where I've always found 1Q to outperform most of its otherwise similar counterparts. It burns slow, cool, and smooth and rarely (if ever) bites the tongue. The burn is fairly uniform and doesn't "goop up" the bottom of the bowl nearly as much as other similar blends.

Flavor--Basic. This is that standard smoky vanilla taste associated with many cavendishes. The taste can do any of three things (and which one happens often seems beyond the smoker's control): It can be very flat and bland (or occasionally bitter), It can be a bit too sweet, or it can be just right. Its a crap shoot. Keep in mind that "bad" for this blend isn't so much "bad" as it is "boring."

Room Note--Pretty standard. In my mind, people (including non-smokers) generally associate pipe smoke with 2 room notes...this basic vanilla or cherry topped tobaccos. Very non-offensive note.

Overall, this one gets 2 stars from me...its a GREAT recommendation for a new pipe smoker, but is pretty 'blah' once you've been around the block a few times.

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco has a wonderful room note. My wife loves the smell. I currently smoke English tobaccos - mostly Penzance. I started smoking this aromatic around 1975 and have not smoked it for some time until recently. Alas, it smokes a bit wet, but over all not a bad smoke for a cased tobacco. The taste is nice and I like it as a change of pace, and especially when smoking around others, who invariably enjoy the room note.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I need to write a new review for this blend. As time has gone on, I find that this is continually in my cellar as my go-to aromatic when I feel like having an aromatic tobacco.

1-Q is a good quality blend. The leaf, the flavoring, and the burning properties of this tobacco are excellent. I also find that it is one of the most consistent blends on the market. The flavor tastes of burley tobaccos (like eating almonds in a cigar humidor), chocolate, licorice, vanilla, and the sweet cavendish notes. It is mild on the palate, but delicious.

This tobacco has the best aroma of any tobacco, bar none. The wife loves it. It burns well and very clean for an aromatic. I have noticed no gunk in my pipes. It can also be used to add a nice aroma to english blends without ruining the flavor. It is also mild on the tongue and produces no bite.

To me this is the standard by which I judge aromatics. It is a good, solid, quality tobacco. If you are looking for an aromatic, a mild all-day tobacco, or a blend to smoke around friends, you can't go wrong with 1Q. As an added bonus, it is one of the most widely available tobaccos. I have no reservations in recommending this blend.

Harvey54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harvey54 (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

For those trying a pipe for the first time, this would be a great starter. I have been smoking it for about one year now, and have found it lacking a bit in taste and flavor. I have been smoking some of Mc's 5100, Rattrays Hal O' the Wynd and some of Mc's 2010, along with Esoterica's Tillbury. So that may be the cause of why this has fallen from my favorite list. Trying to bring it back a bit I have mixed in some 5100 and surprisingly enough it seems to have given it the kick that it needed for me to use as a change of pace blend. But straight up it is a fine blend for those looking to start or are just looking for a change of pace. Keep the Smoking light lit !

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well now, where to begin? I'd been wanting to try this blend for quite some time, and finally found a local tobacconist who carries the stuff. He informed me that this was Lane's bulk version of Captain Black Royal, but I found this to be a much sweeter blend. It also has a higher moisture content as well, but it smoked easier than I would have thought, given it's moisture level. Great room note, and I liked the taste. I think if this were left to, hopefully, dry out a bit, it might find it's way into my regular rotation. Good stuff for a beginner to sample. I might even try adding a bit of burley to this. I'll keep you posted...

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Man, i gotta say, after my inital attempts at pipe smoking in college-- with a grabow and cherry borkum riff or captain black-- i was turned off to aromatic tobaccos, but recently picked up some 1Q (sold by my tobacconist as yorkshire) as sort of a token of appreciation to my wife who'd bought me a nice mastro beraldi oom paul. i figured she deserved to encounter me smoking something other than a latakia rich blend ( i happen to think latakia smells terrific and occasionally she'll compliment me on a latakia blend--most notably odyssey, believe it or not). surpisingly, i get good tobacco flavor from this stuff. the addition of the fire cured is what really makes this blend for me. also as an eenglish/balkan and va/per smoker, i must confess to envying those who walk past puffing a nice vanilla/creamy/chocolate scented pipe tobacco. with 1Q i can do so without feeling queasy and/or burning my tongue.

Sparky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparky (9)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

When returning to pipe smoking a couple months back, this was the obvious choice. A reasonably priced bulk that every noteworthy smoke shop carries (here in Buffalo it is known as "Seville") and it far outranks Captain Black.

I have strayed from all things aromatic, but I always have an ounce of this on hand and it is always great to go back to when I dont know what mood Im in. The smell in the bag is wonderfull. I would recommend drying this before you smoke it. Laying it out overnight does really well. Lights and burns well in a small to medium bowl.

The taste is monotone in my opinion, and almost non descriptive. But it is a smooth smoke with no bite and would best be described as a great working in the yard tobacco. For those that say it ruins a pipe... you must be doing something wrong. My unlce smoked this forever and I have a few of his pipes, there is no noticeable residue at all... and as far as tounge bite goes... as with any tobacco... dont puff like an air pump and you shouldn't have a problem.

Room note is always great and one of the few I can smoke in my mothers house.

Overall, not bad tobacco. Would say this is a great starter tobacco and recommend it over Capt. Black anyday.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (60)

1Q is a pleasant, light aromatic. The flavoring is present throughout a bowlful, but it is not overpowering. This is a well-balanced blend. Any moisture issue is easily resolved by letting the tobacco dry for several minutes before packing it into one's pipe. The room note makes this one a crowd-pleaser, as well. A great blend for the novice pipe smoker or experienced puffer looking for a mild alternative to heavier aromatics or a change of pace from Latakia-laced concoctions that, lately, seem to be in vogue amongst us Brothers of the Briar. (Guilty as charged.) Lastly, 1Q equals some of the pricier tinned blends that are available.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Aromatics have a place in my tobacco rotation, but they don't dominate it - I keep a variety on hand. I have probably smoked this at one time or other, but only recently did I place an order for 1-Q by name. Upon first sampling the blend, I was surprised by the quality of the base tobacco flavor. Don't get me wrong, it was by no means spectacular, but its there and its not bad.

The flavoring was another surprise. I expected it to over ride the tobacco, but instead it was nicely balanced. Also, great burn, no bite, no nasty after-taste. This is a very well behaved aromatic that doesn't stand head and shoulders above the field but does hold its own.

highlander999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
highlander999 (8)

Well, I smoke several variants of this from Jon's in Clayton, Jezvan, and Nostalga Shop in Columbia, HarborMist, and it is the one I keep coming back to. It just burns well, smokes well, and doesn't make my home smell much for the worse. I enjoy the occasional English Blend etc, but No One will hang around to talk to me.

This is a nice mild smoke, and like I say, I keep gravitating back to it.

HoopleHead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HoopleHead (11)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I actually buy quite a bit of this. It is handy to have a blend that visitors can remark "Now that smells very nice"... though I always suspect they actually mean "Your other tobaccos smell very bad!".

But occasionally I just want something bland when I'm alone even, so I have to say, even though this is kind of the "newbie" blend, I actually do poke it into a pipe and smoke it... often the first smoke of the day.

But the main reason I use so much is that I can use it to cut other blends if they're a little too strong for me or if I need a little "figgier" texture. I keep two bowls* of Larry's Blend Latakia, for instance, one at full strength and one cut 25% with 1Q (infidel!!). It also mixes well with Louisiana Red and comes out close to Anniversary Kake with a little more punch at around half and half!

I smoke a lot of pipes each day and my tastes change rapidly, so this particular inexpensive blend helps me give myself a wider variety.

Update 7/15/07: Well last night I had another fortunate accident while dishing out a sample of 1Q for a beginning friend. I put a quarter cup of 1Q in the envelope, thought a while and then reached up to get my bowl to give him another 1/4 cup... but accidentally grabbed the trout stream which was sitting next to the 1Q (at a glance they look a lot alike). I should have smelled the butterscotch scent of the trout stream but somehow wasn't paying enough attention... ended up with a new mix that wow golly I really like! Trout Queue... I love it! Already smoked 4 loads of this stuff today and it's only 3pm. Tell ya what, if you want to really help a newbie find a blend he can make all by himself, this will be a good one. The full blown trout stream tends to get a little hot midway and lose its fullness... somehow the 1Q picks it up and runs the rest of the way to the goal and does a back flip!

*I keep my bulk blends in 2-cup Pyrex bowls with a snap-on lid. These stack nicely and are clear on the sides so I can easily identify them in the stack, and I simply tape the name of the tobacco on top of the lid. Makes it very easy to load my pipe right over the bowl.

F. Prefect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
F. Prefect (24)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

More than anything else, I wanted to comment on another reviewer's (HoopleHead) remarks, not only regarding 1Q, but also similar blends that are sold in bulk by Lane or Altadis.

1Q is a good blend, particularly for new pipe smokers and can stand quite well on it's own merits. But using such blends as 1Q, BCA, RP-6, Black Cavendish and the like, to mix with English or Balken blends has a lot of merit as well. I've been doing for several years and will be the first to admit if I find 1 blend in 5 that you might say is a "keeper", I'm doing well. But it only takes a small amount of tobacco to produce a "trial" blend and I can almost always tell from only one or two bowls if I've hit upon something I'll end up using.

So before you veterans write off such blends as 1Q, you might want to see what a 2/1 Gawith Balken Flake/1Q would taste like. That's probably not a very good example, but I'm sure you get the picture. And not only will you ocassionally come up with a better tasting blend by cutting it with some of the milder flavored bulk blends such as 1Q, you will also save a few bucks in the process. And besides, it's fun.:)

F. Prefect

Ricochet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ricochet (7)

What can you say about 1-Q that hasn't been said? But really I rather like the stuff. It's a pleasant, mild smoke, it smells nice, and it mixes well with others. It's a popular standard for good reason.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (37)

As an aromatic smoker with a fondness for vanilla and good cavendish, I need to throw my two cents worth in here.

I am a soldier in Iraq, and just ordered another eight ounces of this. 1-Q, as many have noted here, is not a great tobacco blend. But it is a good tobacco blend, and has just a bit more of a nicotine kick. Given the circumstances here, I need a good bulk tobacco which is a step above the dime-store blends that I can smoke a few bowls of any time of the day or night and not worry about it.

1-Q burns well, smokes easilly, and tastes quite nice. I'm told it has a good room note as well. I'll keep it in my rotation when I get back home for a quick any time smoke. It is mild and inoffensive and, for a pipe smoker of over 20-some years, became my tobacco of choice for deployment.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a standby of the american culture for a reason. It's a really good aromatic. Plain and simple, the ultimate good drugstore blend (if such thing exists). Sweet flavor, nice room note, burns hot and bites at the least over-puff. Wife loves the smell. What more can I say, 1-Q is definitely one of those blends everybody should keep a supply of, even if it's only an occasional smoke.

Cinema Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cinema Bill (7)

A base of Golden Cavendish with a dash of Fire-Cured Black Cavendish provides this blend with a tasty and flavorful aroma. This is a good Anytime blend and can be equally enjoyed in any size pipe. Good slow-burning qualities.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

This has been one of my favorites for a long time. I would recommend 1Q to any new pipe smoker, and to anyone who has never tried it. This is the tobacco I smoke when I want to relax and enjoy a good book. It burns cool, finishes well, and leaves a fine, gray ash. I have smoked this in everything from cobs to Dr. Grabows to Peterson's, and there is never a surprise or disappointment.

Update: I have smoked mild English blends in a pipe after smoking 1Q, and find no hold-over flavor from the 1Q. I have done this in 3 Peterson's and a Parker with no bad effects at all. =============================================================

Update: 05/28/06 The more non-aromatics I try, the more I am bored with 1-Q. I'm not saying it's a bad tobacco, I just think it gets boring after sampling non-aromatics. This may just be headed to the "once in a loooooooooonnnnnnnggg while" tobaccos.

Tak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tak (1)

This was the first blend I ever tried, so it is appropriate as a first review.

This is a thoroughly mild blend all the way through. There will be no complaints about the aroma or the pouch smell. This is one that non-smokers will ask to sniff. No complaints there. Nicotine is there, but only just. Even as my smoking methods have gotten better, I find this leaves a horrid goop in a pipe at the end. I only smoke this in my 'daily Grabow', and typically use a filter to try and cut back some of the impact of the sweeteners.

Hindsight being 20-20, I wish I had not started on this blend, as it is overly sweet beyond the natural flavors, and leaves the pipe a syrupy mess. I came to expect this as a default in pipe tobaccos, and almost dropped the hobby until I tried some better quality blends. I have an ounce or so left, and may smoke it occasionally in the future, but only on a reminiscent whim and only on a filter. I will not make a concentrated effort to keep this around.

I would recommend other Lane blends such as Cavendish Slices, or even BCA, for a bulk Cavendish-rich but not so sweet experience.

Stationmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stationmaster (7)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

The Horror---------The Horror.

I need to take a long hard look at myself. I bought a pound of this stuff and I am sorry. Its wet when you open the stylish ziplock bag, its wet when you leave it to dry for a fortnight. It'll burn hot and steamy, halfway down the bowl, then gurgle and put itself out. It is just so wet. It tastes like chemical ---------something and its not an aromatic crowd pleaser either. It will destroy any pipe so only use a dedicated old Pete system pipe cause its easier to wash out with metho. If you like this stuff then I'm sorry I've been so rude and good luck to you.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

No redeeming qualities whatsoever. A PG laden mess without flavor or substance.

LtMac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LtMac (21)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This was the first pipe tobacco I smoked way back in 1981 and this is the first pipe tobacco I am reviewing 27 years later. A co-worker and I took up pipe smoking at the same time in the winter of 1981. There was a pipe shop in town called Ye Olde Pipe Shoppe. Its still here in town, and in a twist of fate a current co-worker now owns it (just not the same co-worker that I began my pipe smoking journey with a lifetime ago). At my local shop 1-Q was (and still is) sold under the moniker of "Number 4".

1-Q has an aroma in the bag that smells wonderfully and a room note that always draws commments of "that smells good". Unfortunately it doesn't have a taste that equals the aroma. I find 1-Q to be very mild in strength and taste with a medium vanilla and possibly cocoa flavor. To me it seems to produce as much steam as smoke and leaves a wet dottle in the pipe. The smoke/steam combination easily becomes hot. Also, if I smoke it at night it leaves a really bad aftertaste in my mouth the next morning; maybe its just my body chemistry. I somewhat recommend this blend to pipe smokers and hold a nostalgic spot in my heart for this as it was my first smoke. I sometimes smoke this as a rememberance of for me where it all started. Two stars for 1-Q.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I am giving this 2 stars due to it not being strong enough (nicotine) or flavorful enough. I absolutely love the smell if someone else is smoking it. It can bite if smoked too fast, gurgles in the briar at times and makes a mess of your pipe. Did I mention it smells good? The tobacco in the bulk jar smells good, lit up it smells good and it tastes like, well, AIR mostly. That's all I really get out of it. That and some steam?! I'd never knock anybody for smoking it, I like the smell too much! I really wish it had more taste, I'd smoke this a lot.

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

At the time I bought this I was only an aromatic smoker mainly buying drugstore pouches like Capt. Black. This seemed like an obvious starting point for trying out bulk blends. Also bought some BCA and RLP-6. Out of the three, this one ranked last, but really I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in most of these LL aromatic blends. They all share the same hot, wet smoking properties and an undefinable coconut/vanilla/ameretto essence. Sweet with a bitter ending. You could do worse.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The best selling pipe tobacco in the U.S...

In fact this has little tobacco taste. It comes very moist, but burns surprisingly well. It comes across my palate like caramel dipped fruit. Pleasant, but not a taste I really care for.

Pack it on the loose side, puff very gently, and infrequently, and you will avoid tongue bite.

You also will keep the moisture from building up in your pipe. This is a very sweet, straightforward blend. Too sweet for me, but it does smell nice.

It is indeed an American classic. Many pipesmokers in America both started and stayed with this.

Lane Limited is slowly but surely reducing the number of blends it produces, and some day, when this one fades into glory, it will be sorely missed...

Just not by me!

NateNice1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NateNice1 (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

My first reveiw WOW! A pipe smoker for over 25 years from Liberty long cut that I stole from my grandfather to strong Latakia and Perique, Lane 1-Q is by far the worlds best selling tobacco and my favorite. Local tobbaconists can doctor it up or down and sell it for more $ per oz and the 1-Q always comes out. It is sweet not cloying and I find it to be easy on the tounge and lungs. An aro fan and SWEET TOOTH to boot, so I may be a tad biased. Through my Dunhills, Chacoms, Petersons and Savinellis it never SOURED any of my collection as always after smoking I run a Bourbon soaked pipe cleaner through for good measure. For the last 10 years my blend is 1/2 1-Q and 1/2 BCA try that after a few bites of Haggen-Daas coffee ice cream!

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (10)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really am not into aromatics anymore. I prefer a strong English however from time to time a nice lite sweet treat is always welcome. I gave 1-Q a try because I have read so much about it. it is lite. not too much flavor, not too moist. needs a bit of drying and puff slowly it can scald your mouth. I really like it. the flavor is a bit like a very toned down Sutliff molto Dolce (which is too sticky sweet for me) it has noted of vanilla, caramel and a hint of honey. its a very pleasant smoke and got a 10 out of 10 on the room note from the wife who is very critical of my pipe tobacco's room note.

Give it a try if you are looking for something lite and if you are like me, sometimes a break from the latakia is nice.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL21 P-lip aromatic pipe

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Molto Dolce, Matt's Blend (SB cigar & tobacco).

tankbuster183 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tankbuster183 (4)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is my first review so I decided to start with a classic. Like many pipe smokers, I started with aromatics, though to be fair I like English blends as much as some aromatic; I guess to the snobs my palate is not refined yet.

I won't boast and say this is the best tobacco you will ever buy, but it is a great starter simply because it is so light and tasty. The tin note smells good enough to eat, like dried fruit, and the room note is light vanilla. If more people smoked this in public, smoking bans wouldn't have come down as hard. My neighbors call me grandpa when I smoke it (I'm 34).

It always burns well for me, a little wet at the bottom, but I tend to puff pretty hard, maybe due to the light flavor. There's not much nicotine, the upside to this is you can smoke it all day and not get a headache.

I would give this 3 out of 4 stars; as you smoke more, this will probably be a little light for most guys, but it's still a classic and always worth having some in the jar.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand, Parker Sandblast Billiard

Age When Smoked: <1 year

Purchased From: Greentree Tobacco, Sewell NJ

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)

You just can't go wrong with this blend. Great aroma, a room note that makes people come to you, and a smooth, sweet, mild flavor. A little drying was helpful for a better burn. I like this better than the Captain Blacks.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Trio

Similar Blends: Captain Black White.

friar_jay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
friar_jay (5)

This is the blend that has kept me enjoying the fine art of pipe smoking. An easy smoke with a very pleasant room note. While this is great for veterans it is perhaps the best blend to introduce new fellas to. I know if I hadn't been introduced to 1-Q (my local shop calls it Pop's #4) I would have laid the pipe down after the horrible experience with Half & Half. Thankfully 1-Q was out there waiting to bring joy to a beginning pipe smoker's bowl.

Mattrhorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mattrhorn (2)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I met a fella in my local shop and we talked a bit while he was getting his 10 ounces of this stuff. I asked if it was any good and he gave me a nice little bag. Well, I am not big on nor against aromatics, but this is pretty good. First off it smells great from the bag and while burning. My wife said chocolate and yummy. It was from a bulk jar and still on the wet side. So, I dried it overnight on a paper towel and loaded up a bowl. Packed well and lit just fine. It tasted quite vanilla-y from the get go and tasted pretty good. It gets a bit hot if you are not careful, but just take it easy. No real nicotine punch and no real flavor punch. Just a nice smoke and enjoyed by everyone who was in smelling distance. It was a bit goopy in the bowl and got a bit steamy near the end. I like the taste and the carefree attitude of this blend. Easy to smoke, nothing daunting and real mellow. Give it a try and keep some around.

P.S. Captain Black tastes quite chemically compared to this one and while the flavor is similar, this ain't Captain Black. Great value and worth keeping some around.

Mahawlick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mahawlick (1)
Very Mild Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

I am the epitome of newbie when it comes to pipe smoking and after reading a mess of reviews I decided that I wanted to try 1-Q first. Before I had even taken the tobacco out of the pouch, I could notice a strong vanilla scent. I packed my Churchwarden, let it rest for about half and hour and then lit the bowl. The smell was incredible with hints of spice and vanilla. The tobacco stayed lit and it was a smooth and enjoyable first smoke. No bite at all. I really am glad I picked 1-Q as my first.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)

Interesting to read the reviews below. Yes, it was goopy when I opened the bag. Dried it out overnight; no more goop. I suppose, because it was aired out a bit, it didn't leave the bowl soaking wet either.

I haven't tried Captain Black Royal but I've had White and that stuff sucks. I didn't detect a chemical element but I did notice that it changed after the halfway point.

But somehow, I really like this aro. Better than other aros and dare I say even more than JMBs Berry Cobbler or Sweet Dreams (with Pennsylvania Dutch Treat in the on-deck circle).

I found 1Q to light well, burn slow (and cool) and there was enough flavour to keep me interested. I've moved away from the early days of nothing but aros but the reviews here made me quite curious.

Subjectivity and all, I guess my tobacco sophistication is lacking. Indeed, everyone around me really appreciated the room note. (A neighbour from about 7 doors down even came to ask me what it was).

I won't buy any more Captain Black because that stuff is just way to expensive compared to everything else (with the exception of may saseini?). But maybe I'll borrow a bowl from my buddy to find out.

Long review, apologies...

I used to turn my nose up at this blend. Years and experience have taught me otherwise. So, rather than judge it upon what it's not, I'll judge it on what it is supposed to be.

A pleasant tasting, mild aromatic that could be smoked all day. Smoked properly, there is minimal tongue bite. While there may be better blends out there, none are as available as 1-Q.

Paleoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paleoman (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

My regular smoke for over 10 years now. I tend to puff this while working - reading, researching,and writing. It is a regular smoke not because better blends don't exist but because it is a pleasant puff that does not interfere with my daily routine (either because it is so good that I have to stop and enjoy or because it so bad that I can't stand it).

Opening the far, the aroma is nutty and sweet, and the room aroma hints of chocolate and cinnamon (that's what others tell me). The blend of tobacco an flavoring is balanced, although flavoring is such that it requires a slightly slower puffing pace to avoid smoking too hot and wet.

It is hard to add to what has already been said about the positive qualities listed in other reviews. This tobacco is usually one of the better selling blends at most pipe shops, and each shop will give it their own name.

I recommend this blend for anyone who is looking to migrate away from the sweeter (and often heavily cased) aromatics. This burns well to the bottom of the bowl as long as you regulate the pace of the puff. It does not offend - either the smoker or others, but it does not maintain the taste of the pure tobacco to the bottom of the bowl, particularly if puffed too vigorously (it can turn a bit sour for those who puff faster).

cshag Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cshag (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My first review. I am new to smoking pipes. Only a few months now. Like probably most new pipe smokers I have tried all the drug store brands. To me they all burn very hot and not that great in whole. I liked CB white the best so I thought I would try this. WOW!! Very very nice. Burns very well, taste good, smells good, has no bite at all and the most impressive thing I thought was how cool it burns. I have yet to be able to hang onto my pipe the whole bowl. This is the first time I was able to do that. For those who say this IS CB. Not CB is Black Cavendish and Burley. This is Black Cavendish and Virginia. I think it's the Virginia that sets this WAY aside from CB white. Just bought 5 different samples. This, BCA, Kandel's Kentucky, 5115 bulk Old World Cake and 5110 Dark English. I hope there all this good. I guess I will give that CB crap to my son-in-law and order a lb of 1-Q. HAHAHHA.

PS thank you all for the reviews. That's how I picked my order out. :)

twoadaydanny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twoadaydanny (5)
Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

OK, this doesn't taste like tobacco. Agreed. It doesn't taste like much of anything.

But taste and smell are closely linked. And this tobacco smells like... marshmallows and vanilla and coconut and butterscotch and caramel and... everything good. It's a hug from your mom. It's a down comforter on an early Saturday morning in February, when you know that you can sleep in.

This is the arch-aromatic. This is the aromatic greater-than-which no aromatic can be conceived. This has then scent that people think of when they hear the words "pipe tobacco".

Lights and burns easily. Snork it. French inhale it. Smoke it when you are around those you love. Smoke it in your car. Or save the box that your refrigerator came in, and smoke it in there. Revel in the aroma.

Apparently, many retailers purchase and re-brand this. I purchase it as Lane 1-Q, but I've re-branded it myself. I call it "friendly" and (not infrequently) I enjoy smoking a bowl of friendly.

Chubs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chubs (3)

First, let's clear up all the garbage. Lane does indeed own Captain Black, but this is NOT, I REPEAT NOT Captain Black Royal, Gold, White, or otherwise. While Captain Black does make a similarly flavored blend, the tobaccos used are not exactly the same and 1Q is cured differently than any of the Captain Black blends. 1Q is also sold as Tinderbox Wilshire, and is mistakenly sold as IQ in some stores. That's it. Even if you do find some of the blends "suspiciously similar" to Captain Black, 1Q is significantly less costly than Captain Black in most tobacco shops.

Those who assert 1Q is the same as Captain Black (insert blend here) and therefore is an inferior tobacco remind of "German- Engineering-Is-Superior car snobs" who oh-so-arrogantly proclaim that Lexus (insert model here) is the same car as the Toyota Camry and therefore an inferior automobile. Never mind that the Camry is a great automobile, or that the assertion isn't even remotely true (other than the fact that Toyota owns Lexus). Who needs facts when you have elitism and mindless condescension to compensate? "I'll just be over here smoking a proper English blend, driving my Mercedes (when it's not in the shop), arrogantly condescending to those of you who drive your cute little dependable Japanese automobiles and have the audacity to smoke aromatics. I mean everyone knows REAL PIPE SMOKERS don't smoke aromatics right?" Yeah... riiiight.

If you don't like aros, fine. No problem. But let's not act more refined, or well informed than we actually are by parroting the "Captain Black Lie". It makes one no more refined and, at this point, serves no real purpose as this rubbish has been regurgitated innumerable times by every would-be pipe-snob with an internet connection.

Now for the facts: This is a nice little bundle of pleasure that smokes well all day, but I especially like it when relaxing at night. The room note is very nice and I find myself getting compliments from non-smokers (who are the true test of room note) at the poker games I play in when I merely open the bag to pack my pipe. Open the flood gates when I light it up, as the compliments are showered upon this heavenly tobacco. In fact, this is the one blend I smoke that regularly compels total strangers to go out of their way to compliment me on the aroma.

The taste is pleasant as well; slightly refined, but simple and not overly complex or pretentious. It is not quite as mild as other aromatics I have smoked, but I would classify it as mild, nonetheless. The lack of complexity in the flavor profile is not necessarily a bad thing, as any great chef will tell you "Keep it simple, and execute" when it comes to cooking. And I guess that's the best way to describe this pleasant little nugget: "A simple, well executed blend" (I would add "with a heavenly room note").

I would give this blend 4 stars were it not for the following: While the smoke starts out smooth, it gets progressively harsher, and has more than a bit of a bite by the heel. I find myself often packing other milder blends at the bottom to minimize this. The blend also tends to smoke a bit wet, especially if you don't use a filter. This would be forgivable (I mean, it is an aromatic) were it not for the excessive bite at the end which can be quite extreme, even for an aro.

I do highly recommend this blend and wish I could give 3.5 stars. Alas, I cannot bring myself to award 4 stars as the flaws this blend does have are just a little too glaring for it to be "perfect" or "near perfect". If it burned a little smoother throughout, or had a bit less bite on the end, it just might have been the aro of my dreams.

UPDATE: Looking back, I remember my first experience with this blend being far more pleasurable, especially at the heel. I was originally smoking this in a small corncob pipe with a very small bore stem and a bowl circumference about the size of a U.S. dime. Needless to say the corncob burned much cooler than the Missouri Meerschum Ozark Mountain Cherry Hardwood Pipe I have recently been smoking; a pipe which probably has no business anywhere near the hotter burning Virginia-aromatics.

I put this blend into my corncob and enjoyed it to the fullest, yet again. Still, I couldn't be comfortable giving this blend 4 stars if it had to be smoked from such a small bowl. I decided to try it in a larger corncob pipe and got the same bite on the end - not a pleasant experience at all!

So, I did what any self-respecting aro-smoker should have done a long time ago and bought a briar pipe (nothing fancy, just a simple Dr. Grabow Duke). The tobacco smoked beautifully! No more bite on the end, unless I was smoking too quickly. Even then, the bite was nowhere near what it had been in the Ozark or the larger corncob. I should also disclose that I am no where near a refined, gentlemanly pipe smoker. I am just a guy who bought pipe one day because the pipe tobaccos were infinitely less expensive than cigarettes and smelled better in the tobacco shop. From my first bowl I fell in love. Smoking ceased to be a nicotine fix and suddenly became a wonderfully relaxing art form. So much so that the mere thought of a cigarette is now repulsive to me. Being a converted cigarette smoker, I tend to smoke way too fast. That being said, any aromatic that can stand up to my frenzied inhalation with minimal bite should surely be commended.

This blend smokes exceptionally cool with the filter in the pipe, but loses a degree of its flavor. That being said, I find the Dr. Grabow to be a damn fine pipe, especially considering it only cost $30.00. This blend smokes cool enough, even without the filter and retains full-flavor. Moisture is minimal, even at my inhuman pace, and I never experience a gurgle, even without the filter.

Long story short, when smoked from a decent briar wood, even one such as the Duke which is still not optimally designed for aros, this blend actually is the "near-perfect aro of my dreams".

I hereby upgrade my rating from 3 to 4 Stars. Highly Recommended!

MountainYeti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MountainYeti (4)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This was the first pipe tobacco I tried. It was recommended to me by the local tobacconist as a good place to start for a first time smoker. I agree to some extent. The tobacco is a Bulk blend so it is very inexpensive and as a result if it does not strike your palate very well you can toss it without many tears. It has a lovely room note of vanilla. This flavor barely carries over to the smoke. The smoke itself is very thick and creamy. No oily film left on the teeth or tongue that you can get with heavy cased blends. It does burn hot but not any hotter than your standard aromatics. It is prone to tongue bite more than other Aromatics but if one just slows down it is quite manageable.

If you are looking for a tobacco that will knock your socks off look elsewhere. This is a mild smoke that some Pipe Elitists will balk at (see several of the ranting reviews below). This is a good place to start and if your an aromatic fan a decent smoke when there is nothing else.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (77)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Presentation is finely cut ribbon. Tin note is distinctly, deliciously vanilla. This blend benefits from some extended drying time and/or aging in a mason jar for about a year, after which it takes a match well and burns evenly and cleanly, and lacks the hot, fast burn of so many Cavendish aromatics.

The flavor mirrors the tin note: soft, supple vanilla. I don't know if this is the best vanilla aromatic out there, but I can't imagine there's one too much better. To my palette, hardened as it is with VaPers, this blend is somewhat one-dimensional. But it's a delicious dimension, and when I find myself wanting a change of pace, or when I'm conscious of the room note - as with family visiting - it's among the aromatics I'll reach for. Don't expect complexity here. Expect a delicious vanilla aromatic with absolutely no tongue bite.

For the genre, for what it is, absolutely a recommendation.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I am not an aromatic smoker ... but I thought I'd venture forth into this territory for those who are aro smokers, as we all have different tastes and I'd rather not exclude any reader for their preference in tobaccos. Of the aromatics I will smoke, this is probably the one I smoke when I don;t want to think about a choice, am driving a long distance, or am outside working. Why? .. because it is a VA based aro ... and because if aged and dried properly, and smoked through a 9mm charcoal filter pipe ... it's not a bad smoke.

I will state that you have to age this blend. Aging and drying, along with the filter make this tobacco more enjoyable. If you try to smoke it fresh, or at least without drying, you will get some of the cloying wetness so inherent in aromatics.

A sweet smoke, with hints of vanilla and coconut, it has a good room note, and is basically a classic. Aromatics can turn a newbie off pipe smoking if they find they are not smoked with proper technique, but 1-Q is very lenient. It's a good starter tobacco as it is easy to smoke, shag cut so easy to pack (not too tight ... a common mistake made by many is to pack too tight), and it does impart some decent flavor for an aromatic.

I don't use filters for most of my tobaccos, unless I've been a bit hard on my tongue or have been smoking more than 3 bowls a day and my palate needs a break, or as in this case, the tobacco is an aromatic. For those of us who don't smoke filter pipes, you may want to rethink that on certain tobaccos. The reasons for disliking aromatics are pretty much axiomatic. Such understood reasons tend to become mitigated to a large extent when smoked in a 9mm or 6mm (I recommend a 9mm) filter pipe using a good filter. In my opionion, good filters don't cut out the taste of tobacco, they cut out many of the unpleasant reactions on the palate caused by certain organic compounds, of which, charcoal filters absorb well.

2 stars as an overall tobacco, but if I were rating it only against other aromatics, I may give it 3 stars.

Pipe Used: DB filter pipe

Similar Blends: other aros of which I am only mildly familiar.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (37)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is not what I think of as a tobacco. It looks like tobacco but I really don't taste anything other than an occasional whips of vanilla. Don't expect this to help if you need a Nick hit either. I did finish my 2oz. bulk but I usually smoke outside at night. This blend has to be smoked during the day so you know if it is lit or not (OK that might be extreme but it makes the point)!

gorealestate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gorealestate (28)

I bought this blend in bulk from my local pipe shop, who recommended it when I was looking for THEIR recommendation. They said this was one of their most popular selling bulk tobaccos so I gave it a try. I have had this in my cellar for about 8 months and always reach for it when I am looking for just a plain smoke.

This blend really has nothing going for it. It burns well but does not have much flavor. The tin description of ?basic? describes it well. If you?re looking for a smoke with excitement, you might want to pass this one up. Many of the reviews here indicate that this is a good ?starter? blend for a new smoker and I couldn?t agree more. I would give this a higher rating if it had a bolder flavor.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

1-Q is always in my rotation due to its easy taste that can be enjoyed anytime. I enjoy other aromatics better(Autumn Eve, Bluenote) but 1-Q IS Sweet, flavorful...kinda, but hey, I enjoy it. I give it as a recommendation to novice smokers, and people looking for something that is very easy on the palate. 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Update... I cannot seem to enjoy this blend as much.I get this vanilla taste that is awesome but it is followed up by a burning plastic taste. What the heck? I still say that novice smokers should start here.But don't think 1-Q is a representation of how amazing some tobaccos can be.It is just a very weak tobacco. 2 out of 4 stars.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (110)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Good starter tobacco; novice pipers really like this. But it smokes wet and a bit hot. I've moved on; this does not appeal to me any more.

Rhuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rhuga (1)

Being a pipe smoker that likes a strong sweet flavor with a robust aroma. This tobacco didn't fit the bill for me.

Mike1614 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike1614 (5)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

There are better blends out there, but if youve been smoking drugstore blends, this one will be one step up. The tobacco shop I frequent sells about 30 lbs of this blend a month, and I know several guys who smoke it. I haven't had a bowl of 1-Q for about 10 years, so I decided to try it again, just for kicks. The good: it stays lit and there's lots of smoke. The smoke smells good coming off the bowl and the room note pleases most. The bad: it smokes like a low quality, perfume laced blend, there is darn little flavor and it made my mouth feel like an ashtray. When others smoke it, I dont particularily like the room note. I've been smoking tinned tocaccos like Squadron Leader and Plumcake for a couple of years now, and I can't see going back to a tobacco like this- one that's heavily cased, and low on flavor. This is an OK blend for beginners- my 18 and 21 year old sons seem to like it.

CTPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTPiper (8)

I'm a big cavendish fan but this is not one of my favorites. The taste is uninteresting, kind of flat. But it burns well and is easy to smoke. Just not my cup of tea.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

*Updating this review. Last time I smoked a bowl of this stuff I used TWO pipe cleaners to get all the gunk out of the pipe. Not terrible but you can do better. I'm downgrading it to 2 stars.

This is mild, inoffensive and middle of road blend that I keep around for the occasional smoke. I've smoked similar house blends from various tobacconists that always seem to emphasize the black cav. I was pleasantly suprised to find that this is tuned a little more towards the so called golden cavendish so isn't overly sweet. Also suprising: it's not goopy or wet and burns consistantly to a gentle, non-bitter finish. No tongue bite at all. Every once in a while I like this if I'm tired of the more robust, stronger stuff that sits in my larder. Not a bell ringer exactly, but in bulk it's affordable and pleasant. I agree that it might be a good starter if one doesn't get stuck in the genre. Worth a look if only as a point of reference.

scotty815 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotty815 (12)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I used to smoke this 99% of the time A great blend for the newbie,but still has a place in the rotation of the seasoned vet. A real girl getter in the aroma department. Sort of vanilla of maybe caramel? some say chocolate I personally cant taste chocolate in this. You can smoke it all day, but keep lots of pipe cleaners,this can be goopy. I like it in a system pipe, but you have to work hard at keeping them fresh. Its been about a year since i bought this i may pick up a few ounces this weekend for nostalgia.

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

A descent tobacco but not as aromatic as I had hoped with it being the #1 tobacco sold in America. Mild tasting, hoping for more of a dessert tobacco i suppose. Better than HS3 in my opionion.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Often times this is the first pipe tobacco a tobacconist sells to a new pipe smoker. Fortunately, there are far better blends available. This one burns somewhat hot and produces a lot of steam, which in turn will burn the tongue.

Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I owe my rather brief acquaintance with 1Q to an East Coast philosophy lecturer who, by the time I met him, had switched sides to become a Regius Professor at a Texan University. I was out of tobacco, just holding my empty pipe, while in transit at Houston Airport. He sat next to me (you could still smoke inside the airport in those days) and we chatted about pipes, tobacco, and eventually about XIXth century German philosophers. He offered me some 1Q, as it was the only blend his wife would allow him to smoke (he bought the stuff by the pound and had plenty to spare).

As I already was a London Mixture-965 smoker, I found 1Q extremely bland, sweet and goopy, but with a very nice room aroma. I enjoyed the batch he gave me. A typical drug store blend, slightly similar to Captain Black (but not as meaty), it burnt rather quickly. More than building cake inside the bowl, it left a crystallized sugar layer that rendered my pipe useless. I really appreciated his gesture, but I never bought 1Q again.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This was one of the first tobaccos I tried when I started smoking and even then I didn't enjoy it much. It somehow managed to be relatively bland while at the same time perfumey and goopy. The bag of 1Q floated around until I finished off my BCA (same company MUCH better blend) and I eventually used it up. Needless to say, I didn't purchase anymore of it. I don't understand what people see in this blend, as there are much better tobaccos out there that are just as cheap and available.

GrizzledBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrizzledBill (2)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

There is no reason that a pipe smoker with any taste would use this vile, worthless tobacco. No flavor, just steam.

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Very aromatic, but with little taste, and very little tobacco taste. I feel this blend is consumed strictly for the room tone it leaves. Do not like the fine ribbon cut

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Peterson,Savinelli

Age When Smoked: 64

Purchased From: Jon's Pipe Shop, Champaign, IL

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (64)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a Golden Cavendish with a small portion of Black Cavendish mixed in. I do believe it is very very similar to Captain Black Royal but CB has more humectants and more chemical taste, O its cheaper too. The hint of fire cured is what really sets this blend apart. When your smoking its Golden Cav, Golden Cav... Fire cured! When it pops up it adds a little complexity and dimension. I mix this with BCA half and half. The BCA calms and cools the 1Q and the 1Q adds flavor to the BCA. My favorite home mix :-)

Pipe Used: Cobs

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Captain Black Royal.

Sugar Maker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sugar Maker (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Easy smoking tobacco. Great bag note, unfortunately it did not translate well into the taste or room.

Tasted still very good still.

dnietosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnietosi (11)

This is known as a good base blend, and indeed it is! But this also means that there are better guys waiting out there being good just by themselves. Yeah very good! Still I forgo about it.

meerschaumRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaumRider (5)

Pleasent taste, no bite, absolutly worth a try if you like Virginias. Colors meerschaum a little slower than the average blend but the resulting patina is an outstanding tan / mahogany gradient.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

You can't go wrong with this bulk blend. It smells a bit sweet when you open the lid with nice long strands of tobacco mixed with an ample supply of blackened cavendish. The vanilla is really an undertone if you will.

1-Q smokes really well. In loading the pipe I just let gravity fill the bowl and top it off with a push of the thumb then char it and finish with the final match. After about five minutes or so, I drop out the top ash and then it pretty much smokes all the way down to the heel with a minimum condensation. Even with aggressive smoking it doesn't bite me. The tobacco leaves a nice room-note.

Nothing real fancy in the taste, some sweetness in the wafting smoke some mild nicotine but does get some bitterness near the end, but then again, most of the tobaccos I've tried do that near the heel and I always smoke 'em all the way down.

1-Q is a good all-around starter or for those who want to try a light Aromatic.

Adroidapp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adroidapp (2)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening, you can smell a hint of fruity raisins, similar to Prince Albert but not as pungent and sweet. With a 2 inch ribbon cut, it's a bit shaggy when packing in the pipe, but still manageable. With the initial light I find it to burn a bit hot, but it does seem to cool down 2/3rds into it. While inhaling through the nose, I get mostly just a subdued smoke with the occasional hint of fruit. The smoke itself is plentiful but not overbearing to the senses. I don't tend to smoke the last 1/3rd of a bowl, after emptying the pipe, the bottom was wet but not goopy.

I'm giving this blend 3 stars. It is readily available, inexpensive, and this blend is a good starter for those who want to give pipe smoking a go. However, after you explore better blends you will find yourself somewhat disinterested when you come back to it. This isn't to say you shouldn't try it, it does make a good baseline by which you can compare your review to others.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Ah, the famous 1-Q. I found some at my local tobacconist and thought I'd get a couple of ounces to see what the fuzz is all about. Tastes good, smells good, burns cool, decent price. Pretty much Captain Black Royal in bulk.

1-Q is your traditional American aromatic; sweet, mild, and satifying but nothing to write home about.

RusticAuthor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RusticAuthor (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Unless you don't like aromatics, this is a blend well worth trying. Mild, exceptionally smooth, pleasant vanilla aroma, and inexpensive. This is definitely a keeper for me.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Lane 1Q is the Coors light of the tobacco world. It is not the best product you can buy, but at the end of the day it is inexpensive, readily available, and does exactly what it says it will. Can you find better quality? yes, can you find a better value? probably not.

This one smells good, it tastes good, and has the aroma that even an anti smoking Nazi has to like. Its pretty good, it just is not great.

This one is heavily cased, as in your fingers are sticky after packing sticky. It can absolutely flambe your tongue if you don't handle it with care. It also makes the heel of your pipe look as though you have been brewing loose leaf tea in it, it is a moist blend. Your probably not going to smoke this one down to a nice fluffy ash, your more likely to smoke it to a soggy clump.

That being said it is sweet and smells like vanilla. There is a reason this stuff has been sitting on the shelves in big bulk jars for a long time. This is a blend that a lot of people have smoked, even if it had a different name than 1Q. This blend is everywhere.

Wildcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wildcat (5)

Tastes good, smells good, smokes good... really, what's not to like!?!

mithraic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mithraic (4)

Don't listen to the haters; there's a reason why this blend is so popular and so discussed. I get the impression reading the bad reviews that the naysayers either don't like aromatics on principle or just want to seem cultivated. Snobbishness notwithstanding, this is a GOOD blend, solid, a real pal.

It's got a bit more flavor than most aromatics- vanilla sweetness, but there's a little cinnamon spice to dance on the tongue too. Certainly not complicated, but sometimes simplicity is preferable. It burns cool and evenly, drops to the bottom of your bowl like an elevator. None of the goop or sour aftertaste that make aromatics so despised. And the best part is the room note- YOW! If you're a young pipe smoker like me, save your flavorful but foul blends for the porch and den. When you're stepping out on the town, 1-Q is the ultimate wingman. Light up a bowl of this near society and the ladies will walk a block just to smell it. Trust me, fellas, 1-Q can be a real friend to you.

There's absolutely nothing to bash here. 1-Q is comforting, charming, inexpensive and reliable. Next time I make a baccy run, I'm cellaring a pound or more.

ErichPryde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErichPryde (9)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

IQ, IQ-140, Wildcat, Wilshire. This was the blend that, years ago, I started with. I walked into Royal Pipes & Tobacco in Norman, OK, a determined young man who was going to buy a pipe and a beginner's tobacco. After some discussion with the wise, older man behind the counter, I settled on an ounce of a blend called I.Q. 140 and an unfinished Savinelli.

And it was a good blend then. My pipes changed throughout the years, I added several to the collection (and broke one or two), but this was still the blend I off and on again smoked. I tried one or two other blends, but I was not a serious pipe smoker and kept coming back to this one.

It bit my tongue at first, about how you'd expect of a new smoker. But once I got used to smoking a pipe, loading, tamping... this was a well behaved blend that had a decent flavor. Being an aromatic the room note is of course mostly pleasant to other people.

For the newcomer to the pipe world, this is one blend I would recommend strongly.

DLWJohn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DLWJohn (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is one of the first blends I tried in my novice pipe-smoking adventures. It was the first tobacco/pipe combination where everything just clicked and added up to some of my first great smokes. Great for beginners, easy to keep going after a little dry out time, doesnt goop up a pipe too much, and has a nice room note. This isnt one of those aros that smell great in the tin but taste horrible either, its slighty sweet but not overly, and I detect a little bit of nuttiness, although you'll quickly find it becomes bland once you move on to some stronger blends. Even so I'll always be keeping a bit of this on hand for when I want a nice, mellow, easy smoking blend.

Erik-Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erik-Peterson (7)

A very well rounded, slightly sweet, but not overbearing, aromatic tobacco. Very little, if any casing, but a fantastic aroma from the fire-cured Cavendish. An excellent choice for the new pipe smoker, or a seasoned smoker looking for a light, sweet smoke. One of my regular blends.

Holmlover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holmlover (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Alot of English smokers won't admit it, but this benchmark aromatic is quietly used by even some hardcore latakia pipesters to give their blends something other than what they purchased out of the tin. A gentle smoke by itself, and marketed under zillion different names, should be called Aromatic 101. GREAT room note.

Cicero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cicero (5)

I was told that this is the #1 most popular bulk blend, and apparently it is at almost every pipe store in the US. I imagine that is because of the pleasant smell when you pop of the container lid at your local tobacconist.

This is a great tobacco for newer pipe smokers, but probably loathed by stout English blend smokers, as is the case with most aromatics. So if your an Anglophile when it comes to pipe tobacco, this is not for you, and you probably not going to be reading this review anyhow.

On the other hand, this is a great tobacco for those who like an occasional aromatic, and even better for new pipe smokers. It smokes very well for having so much cavendish and burns surprisingly cool, albeit wet, but not as bad as most aromatics.

newsandtraffic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newsandtraffic (17)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This was given to me to sample whilst visiting our local tobacco shop back last year. Quickly became 1 of my favorites. My wife's as well of course. Mild taste. So if you're looking for strength. Look elsewhere. If you're looking for something mild with no muss or fuss. This should do it for you. Try others but always keep some 1-Q around as the good old standby. I do & will continue to do so.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a great first tobacco for anyone to try I think, it was one of my first, and one of my first two "go to" blends. It is a typical American aromatic, the flavor I think is probably some sort of vanilla, but to me it tastes like baked cookies! The room note is very nice, although I don't smoke this one anymore, I always love when I am sitting in the pipe shop, smoking a cigar, and somebody is smoking 1-Q, the aroma is delightful, it is sure to be a wife and crowd pleaser as well!

T. Collin Francis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Collin Francis (15)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite smokes at this point for several reasons. I like the light flavor, everyone loves the room note, and it's very affordable. I enjoy heartier tobaccos and I'm really beginning to like Vapers and English blends but I keep coming back to this one at least once a day for a nice light smoke. I know it's an aromatic but it's a nice one, not at all like those goopy drug-store plastic bag tobaccos. I highy recommend this easy packing easy burning treat to anyone who wants to smoke in an area where other's might object to someone smoking a pipe, including your family.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)

Good old 1Q.

With Boswell, Just For Him and a variety of other aromatic blends getting a lot of love, 1Q sort of gets underrated IMO.

I'm not much of an aro. smoker but I've tried a bunch. I personally rarely enjoy heavily flavored Cavendish blends. But when I'm in the mood 1Q is as good as or better than many of the more popular boutique aromatics from Bowsells, Just For him et al.

It's easily as good as any of the Boswell aros and some swear up and down that Boswells Best is just renamed 1Q. I don't know if this is true and I don't care. What I do know is that I find 1Q to be as good as anything out there short of Sillems Black.

If you smoke aromatics and would like to try a classic give 1Q a shot. Just pretend it has a cooler name involving some manner of a Hobbit or Grandma's baked goods and you'll be quite pleased I think.

1Q also makes an interesting addition to English/Balkan blends to create an very enjoyable Aromatic English. Give it a try if you're so inclined and I think you'll find it enjoyable.

Bottom line is this an premium blend? No. But neither are many of the more highly hyped aromatic blends available today and 1Q is a classic that anyone looking for a nice room note and sweet tooth satisfier in a mild and relatively dry smoke should experience.

boxertwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boxertwin (10)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I bought this because someone recommended it as a nice mellow aromatic that doesn't have the nastiness of the Capt Black types.

When I first lit it, it has almost no flavor at all. The smell was very nice but no taste at all.

As I got to about halfway through the bowl, it started to get a nice flavor that was similar to the room note. It is a tobacco that gets better the further down it goes.

I was not expecting much from it but was pleasantly surprised. It's not a strong smoke but a mellow one that you could smoke for an extended period.

apipeareyouserious? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apipeareyouserious? (21)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I'll smoke the 2 oz I bought, but I'm seriously considering mixing it with something else to make it more, well, just more. Love that the smell of this stuff burning is so unbelievably pleasant, just wish it was a little stronger in the taste department. Very mild sweetness and a downright pleasant aftertaste (when you can taste it), like a really watered down Werther's Original. Very well behaved tobacco after some drying out though, smokes like a dream.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

The very first time I ever smoked a pipe, this is what I expected it to be like. Over the years I have smoked everything from codger burleys and goopy drugstore aromatics, to Lakeland flakes and straight oriental blends. My cellar is full of names like Samuel Gawith, McConnel, McClelland, MacBaren, Rattray, and the like. But I have a soft spot for 1Q.

Oh sure, it's not what you would call a great tobacco. And for the life of me, I do not know why. It's inexpensive, it's inoffensive, its downright tasty. But something about it just screams "cheap!" at me. Every tobacco shop in America carries this blend under some house name or another, and it's usually to be found amongst the really obnoxious goopy aromatics.

But, no goopy aromatic this. It's got a nice mellow flavor of soft vanilla, and a mild buttery after taste. The aroma is just nice and sweet; the kind of thing that causes people to think of their grandpa. I have heard this blend refered to as "old man tobacco". Maybe I am getting old. But 1Q has the aroma and flavor that many folks expect when they pick up their first pipe.

Blade One Star Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade One Star (9)

This is the best tobacco I have ever smoked. I was talking to a couple of friends and it seems that whenever we try new tobaccos we wish we were smoking 1-Q. It has a mild taste and the best room note out of any tobacco out there. Its smoke is whirling swirling magical.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

For a change of pace, you can taste virginia at the first match but it goes away quickly. Very mild and hard to heat up,it smells great and leaves that burnt sugar smell on your mustache. Overall a nice change from my rotation. However RLP-6 has this beat by a long shot.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

smells good in the pouch--packs well, lights easily--a bit bland at first, but improves down the bowl--has a bit of sweetness which i find enjoyable--not soggy at all, burns dry all the way down to a gray ash--sipped slowly there was no bite--a slight tingle now and then, but no real bite--

if you're looking for a good straightforward blend check it out--

Leslie Blane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leslie Blane (6)

I'm sorry it took me so long to try this tobacco. It's a treat. Mild but tasty, especially as it smokes down in the second half of the bowl and the natural Virginia sweetness really kicks in.

It shares with Lane RCA a vanilla note that I associate with the the scent of oak casks. This is stronger in the RCA, better integrated in 1Q where it nicely complements the Virginia flavor.

All in all, a very clean, cool smoke with almost no noticeable nicotine kick, just a slight buzz, which is how I like it. Leaves only a very subtle aftertaste, which is another plus. The room note is generic pipe smoke fragrance. Burns well without any bite and leaves a fine darkish ash and at the very bottom a little dottle but no goop. I can see this becoming an unfussy all-day smoke.

Behindtheclouds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Behindtheclouds (9)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My bro-in-law smoked this for years, and it smells simply out of this world. For a non-pipe smoker who loves the smell of the pipe smoke, this is as good as it gets.

Go into any shop in the whole of the USA that sells bulk brands and this will be their biggest seller. So, obviously a lot of people like it. But I struggle with it. It turns to goo in my bowl. It gets hard. It doesn't stay lit. It just doesn't smoke good to me. The taste, unlike the smell, is unexceptional - and for the trouble it causes, I just simply can not fathom why it get sells so well.

Not the worst I have ever had, but far from being a satisfying experience.

I do not like the rating system here as this is not quite so bad as to compare to the worst reviews I would give, but one step up from there is "Somewhat Recomended". I do not recommend this at all but it is not as bad as say Borkim Riff Whiskey (see my review) and I would not put it into the same category as that wretched, useless weed.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

It's a tad to mild for me, use a cob, skip the filter, I tended to smoke this with a "THATS IT", O well does have a smooth draw and an easy roll, very bland to me, I would not purchase again, but this blens has a great following, so there's somthing to say about that, to me it has only a base for blending. 1 star

kkgtyf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kkgtyf (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is one of my favorite tobaccos. I love the subtle taste of it. I never have any bite and it doesn't goop up bad. Anyone who likes mild aromatics needs to give this a try.

Rev. E. A. Hernandez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. E. A. Hernandez (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

There's another review up there that sort of says it all: Lane's LTD 1-Q is the alpha and the omega of tobaccos. It's the review of a rather jaded person who has tried 800 blends.

My dearest fondest love is reserved for Lane's 1-Q. It is the FIRST time ever that I was never bitten; never was it at any moment bitter or sour; the room note was what it ought to be; and the wife is totally sold on this blend.

I was never so impressed with the cavendishing of a burley. That and the delicate hint of honey is what sold me on this stuff. Yes, you read it right: HONEY. There's nothing "fruity" about this.

Also I have to take exception to the complaints about it gunking up the pipe. I do not know what some people are doing but I have never had any more trouble with 1-Q than I've had with any other tobacco, period! Are you guys coating your bowls with milk and honey before loading up?? :)

It's also true it is THE prime base for your home recipes. Here's mine, bye the by: 4 OZ Lane's to 1 OZ of Velvet and 1 OZ of Kajun Kake (which ought to be rubbed out and slightly dry when blended). Marry this as long as you like, or smoke it then and there. I have one humidor with this blend which I keep on hand at all times. I call it "Thundersnow 13". Now, if you do this, you won't get so 'tired' of 1-Q, as I've noted people saying.

Also note: this competes and beats hands-down the Haunted Bookshop I hear so much about...no comparison at all, really.

For the rest of the time, and I only try aromatics and cavendishes as a sort of desert course, Lane's 1-Q is MINE!

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Two stars seems to me to be about right in that if someone asked me if I could recommend 1Q to them, my response would have to be, "Yes, but...". I'm just not sure where I stand with 1Q on its own. As a blending tobacco I think it's definitely 4 out of 4 stars. However, again, on it's own, I just can't go more than 2 out of 4. I think it wants to be Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend but doesn't quite get there. I wouldn't even say it's Mixture's younger brother. Maybe a younger cousin. Taking it for what it is, it still leaves me wanting just a tiny bit more. Like it's teetering on the precipice of a hill but just doesn't have the oomph to go over. It is a light, sweet, great smelling smoke but lacks a certain element.

SConnolly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SConnolly (3)

Having grown up around many pipe smokers, all of whom had different tastes and preferences, I often fell like I have multiple tobacco disorder; I don't subscribe to the view that one should only smoke low end or high end, english or aromatic etc, tobaccos. I have an appreciation for the strengths, and weaknesses, of all the varieties we have. . .

That said, 1Q is a blend I always come back to. Whatever else I'm interested in at the time, I always have a few pounds of this stuff nicely stored away, and a good bunch in my 'daily' jar.

Why do I love it? Well, to be honest, the excellent room note helps my wife accept my pipe habit, but foremost is the fact that it is simply a tasty yet light aromatic I can smoke all day without getting tired.

It usually needs a bit of drying out for my taste, but packs easy, smokes smoothly and never bites. I assume the casing is vanilla, but I still get the nice sweet cavendish flavor coming through. This is the weed I smoke when I just want a pipe hanging from my mouth while doing virtually anything; it is mild, satisfying and never offensive. Not much Vitamin N, but that can be a good thing.

Though I do like other Lane blends, like BCA and RLP-6, this one is best, imho. I'm not as keen, for some reason, on the casings for either of the above.

If I want latakia/oriental/virgiania, I'll smoke Balkan Sasanie, Squadron Leader or Frog Morton. But if I want a nice American-style aromatic, this hits the spot.

Recommended for someone looking for a nice, tasty cavendish-based aromatic.

--smc

I had to try it, just to see why it is so popular, and so highly recommended to new pipe smokers. Since I am no longer a new pipe smoker, I need a little more oomph, and this was also true when I was just starting out. That said, I think I will smoke this from time to time. It's a mild, inoffensive aromatic and not too goopy. I can more easily finish a bowl of this and enjoy it than I can with CB. Unlike some aromatics (and other tobaccos) this seems to smoke just fine right out of the bag, without needing to be dried. This is also good smelling stuff without being overpowering, and would probably be tolerated by most nonsmokers. This may have something to do with its popularity, but again, not a bad little blend in its own right.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Perhaps the finest product of its type in the world. Smooth, mellow, sweet, tobacco at its finest. This is the Chanel #5 of the pipe tobacco world, a classic that cannot be improved upon.

The tobacco is the finest the world can produce, lovingly processed and presented, the vanilla flavoring is all natural, subtle and of the highest quality, applied in a refined manner.

1Q was created to be appreciated by the critical taste of the connoisseur, the lover of fine tobacco. It succeded so well it became a favorite the world over.

1Q is a regal blend, whose qualities are best enjoyed in times of reflection. A clean pipe dedicated to the tobacco will yield the maximum enjoyment, and will become a treasure.

This near perfect blend is the alpha and the omega. You will like it as your first experience. But after your dreams have turned to dust and regrets, 1Q will be your fondest memory of the golden age of pipe tobacco, the blend you truly loved.

Don't believe me? After you have tried 800 blends, see if you agree. (Refering to Pipestud and his 4 star recommendation).

Update 8/2010: As with Captain Black White, my tastes changed and I cannot stand this blend anymore. The smoke is steamy and sticks to your hands with a distinct petroleum smell, almost like charcoal lighter fluid. I feel like I am smoking oil sprayed on cardboard and not tobacco. I guess exposure to blends like Anniversary changed my tastes forever (and it happened in an instant).

daboss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daboss (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a VERY mild aromatic that was sold to me along with Captain Cool. This is mild and has lots of smoke. You should pack lightly and it will burn nicely. No matter how hard I puffed there was no bite and not much heat from the brair. Little moisture left at the bottom, but not bad at all. No ghosting as this is too mild for any of that. If you are looking for a cool smoke that won't bite and tastes good, this is your blend. Not enough flavor for 4 stars though.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

If there were a 2.5 star rating available that's what I'd give this tobacco; right in the middle. It is a good tasting,very gentle, aromatic. Pack it lightly or it will be difficult keeping lit.

The pouch aroma is very pleasant, but not tobacco. It tastes good. I did not get the gurgle that others have mentioned nor did it goop up my pipe, but it did require more coeaning than usual after smoking a bowl. Neither do I taste the cherry that others have mentioned. It never bit, evenwhen puffing hard to try to keep it lit. It did not ghost my pipe either; it's far too gentle to do that.

I bought a quarter pound of this because I'd read it is the most popular blend in the US. I don't understand why. It's good, but not that good. Nothing complex here but nothing offensive either.

If this were the only tobacco I could get I'd be glad to have it. But if I had awhole tobacco shop at my disposal I doubt if I'd smoke it very often. The quarter poundI go will probably last me quite a while, but I will smoke it all. I might even get another quarter when this is done.

dt753 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dt753 (12)

On it's own, 1Q is a pretty good mild aromatic tobacco. Very good for a beginner as it has little bite considering it's aromatic properties. It often tends to be a little damp, but be careful in drying it out as if it becomes too dry, it turns into a mean smoking tongue biter.

Most B&M's sell 1Q, but you might have to ask a clerk to direct you to it as many re-name it and use it as a "house blend". There are 3 local tobacco shops I buy from, and each one of them carry 1Q under a different name.

For me, where 1Q really shines is a foundation for a do-it-yourself blend. My all-day smoke is a mixture I do using 5 ounces of 1Q, 4 ounces of Lane's "Burley Light Without-A-Bite", and 3 ounces of Lane BCA.

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Oh man oh man. This was my first Aro, and I can easily see it becoming an All-day smoke for me. I don't know where people are getting the cherry flavoring, I'm simply getting a delicious nutty- sweet taste that is like a better version of a Captain Black blend. It left a little gloop at the bottom of my pipe (but what aromatics dont?) but it never leaves any ghosts or anything like that at all. It also qualifies as a crowd please, as several passers by made positive comments on the smell of it. Definitely something I will purchase again, and eventually fill a mason jar full of.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Some folks perceive themselves as "purists" and will never say a nice thing about an unabashed aromatic blend. Oh well. I prefer "English" blends as well, but if you are like me, you will find Lane's 1Q is an old-fashioned aromatic blend that you will end up returning to time and time again, and a great change of pace if you are an English smoker who needs a good blend to smoke in mixed company. Smells wonderful in the pouch. Packs easily (but make sure you do not pack it too tight). It is very moist, so I recommend drying it out for a couple of days, unless you like a hot pipe, bite, and sogginess at the end. But if you let it dry a little, you will be rewarded for the small effort.

By following the instructions above, and lightly tamping as you work your way to the bottom of the bowl, it burns fine, leaving a grey ash at the bottom with a couple of pieces of carbon dottle. Unlike many aromatics, 1Q leaves no unpleasant "ghosts" in the pipe.

If you have a large bowl, you will probably end up knocking out the last fifth of the bowl and not smoking it all the way to the end. If you want to smoke all the way to the end of the bowl, I recommend just loading a half-bowl to smoke at a time. As with all aromatics, it can get a little harsh at the very end if you don't.

Anyone within smelling distance will compliment you. I never detected any hint of "cherry" note, as a reviewer below mentioned. No fruitiness at all. The taste? It is similar to Captain Black Royal, but not as gooey or syrupy sweet. Nice billows of dry, nutty-sweet smoke. Just a good, all-around aromatic that you will end up smoking more of than all your other more expensive blends.

Colby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colby (9)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I purchased a 2oz package and did not enjoy the first bowl. However, after 3 months of aging in a shoebox in my closet, the overpowering sweetness level has come down and a mellow, earthy aromatic has taken it's place. The only reason I'm not giving 4 stars is that the flavor does change quite drastically the further you get down the bowl. I'm able to get half way down before I've had enough. But the top half is quite good. I'd recommend to any beginner, and if your first try isn't enjoyable. LET IT AGE a month or so and come back to it. You may have a second opinion. Cheers.

bergxu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bergxu (3)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

What can I say, 1Q is my go-to blend. I am an aromatic smoker, and have plenty of different blends on hand but the only one I must purchase by the pound is 1Q because I smoke it daily. It's simply a great, neutral smoke, and despite what others may say, doesn't ghost a pipe. In fact, I use it to "neutralize" a pipe in which I've smoked something else that I didn't care for and it's worked a treat each time (of course, a quick clean with Everclear and then a dab of brandy precedes the 1Q). The room note is very mild snd pleasant and is in no way offensive, in fact my non-smoking girlfriend prefers it over how my Peterson and Dan aromatics smell. 1Q is just a nice, simple blend, nothing more, nothing less. Perfect for the first pipe of the day or complemented by a cold iced tea and an episode of Sherlock Holmes on a chilly winter's evening. Vitamin N strength is nil, but that's what makes it good as an all day blend. Highly recommended!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a long, fine ribbon the aroma of which is primarily of sweet cavendish and some sort of tropical topping, perhaps coconut.

The sweet golden and black cavendish play well together with, perhaps, a touch of red VA which adds a richer sweetness. The topping plays a notable role and remains present throughout the bowl.

Though cheerful and amiable, the final effect of 1-Q falls upon the sweet and bland side. It is obviously intended as an all-day blend, and to this end, my tastes found it to be progressively tedious.

Chamber Gauge: Medium to Wide

pipeinit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeinit (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I have worked for a few tobacco stores in the last 15 years. One in Northern Virginia and two in Charlotte, North Carolina. I also visit many other fine tobacco stores in those areas. I have tried 1-Q from Lane from the start back in 1994 at Georgetown Tobacco. They call it Revere and John B. Hayes calls it Aspen. When you get to Tinderbox they call it Wilshire. Old Virgina stores call it Checkmate! At Outland Gift and Cigar they call it 1-Q. It it the best selling tobacco in everystore I have worked! It is mild and plesent to smoke. It tends to burn wet. I recommend smoking it out of your aromatic pipes only. Clean your pipe after each smoke. I have never heard as many popular comments from ladies about how great this blend smells. Men like it as well. When we sold a first timers kit which included a pipe, pipe cleaners, pipe nail, tobacco pouch, and 2 ounces of 1-Q. Don't let some tobacconist tell you it is not good to smoke aromatics. They can be pleasent, mild and nice to smell.

Guardian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guardian (3)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Seeing as this is the blend that Tinderbox sells as Wilshire, I think it's appropriate that I post my review of Wilshire here as well. If anyone objects, I don't mind having this review removed.

...

Otherwise known as Lane's 1-Q, the Wilshire blend is my favorite of the Tinderbox bulk aromatics. I've kept coming back to it over the years, as it has a warm and sweet yet subtly spicy flavor and aroma with hints of perhaps vanilla, almond, apricot, and ginger. This is one of the classic aromatic tobacco blends which inspire such fond memories.

I feel that Wilshire is often unjustly written off by those who are looking for a bolder, more distinguished and prevalent flavor, and by those that don't care for a sweet smoke. That being said, Wilshire isn't for everyone, and shouldn't be smoked by those that are looking for something more than what it has to offer.

I would actually caution newcomers away from this blend because it can be more temperamental than others if you're not yet proficient with a pipe. It can be on the moist and sticky side, so I would recommend letting a fresh batch sit and dry for a time before being packed. Also, don't smoke this one too quickly because it can bite and muck up your pipe if you're impatient with it.

If you find yourself frequenting this blend, I would recommend having a briar pipe to use just for it. It doesn't smoke as true in pipes seasoned by most other aromatic blends (though some aren't a problem) nor does it compliment pipes seasoned with English blends. However, its subtle flavor wont ghost an aromatic pipe.

Wilshire is perfect for a relaxing and gently flavored pipe to linger on for an hour or so, filling the air with a hearty and sweet aroma that aims to please both the casual smoker and company alike.

Enjoy.

Huck Finn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huck Finn (6)

This is one of the aromatics that can be hauled around pipe and pouch for a full day. It is mild, smooth and has a good room note. I maintain that it might get old if one was not switching off to other blends on a regular basis, though in itself it can break the rhythm from too much indulgence in the English blends. A little variety always helps the cause. This is a stand up blend that is certainly worth consideration.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)

I give this a 'somewhat recommended' rating only because as I, dedicated "English" smoker, am surprised to find myself pleasantly taken by this blend, but not sold enough to smoke this everyday. I've little experience with any cased or topped tobaccos in general. A couple of month's ago I stopped into Cigar Express #14 here in PA and asked the manager if she had any English-style pipe blends. There were no descriptions on the bulk jars and my nose didn't detect any. She relied, "1-Q". I was surprised and asked, "Are you sure?" Yes, she was. So I asked for two ounces to try. She weighed out four, charged me for two, and away I went with my 'deal'. In car, on way home, I loaded up one of my favorite Lorenzo pipes (mistake)...should have used an old Kaywoodie from my early days. I found this actually quite pleasant. Tasty, but not overly sweet. No bite. No wicked aftertaste. But 'pleasant' that is until I reached the goop which usually is the called dottle in bottom of my now formally favorite pipe. I've no idea what this is flavored with but it suffices any urge I have for an aromatic, if that is what this really is. Now I carry two pouches - one for my English (whichever I'm rotating through) and one for this, just in case I get that urge. And two pipes (one for each). Lorenzo seems tainted permanently. Wherever that shop manager got the idea this was an English is beyond me. Should have read the reviews here first.

Coop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coop (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I cannot get away from this stuff. I have smoked only this blend for nearly 3 years straight. I have pounds of this jarred & maintained hoping to draw out more flavor. 1Q is very mild in flavor (too mild) and to me smells like a yellow cake in your oven. On a damp day it can be tempermental so slow it down a wee bit. One of my favorite parts of the smoke happens if you let it start to go out and it is kinda smoldering but not really puff recoverable - it has a terrific "bowl note" to it. I usually get a sniff or 2 from the "buisness end" of the bowl. You'll probably get no complaints from the public about the scent so just enjoy being the center of attention.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (34)

I would have to dub this the most generic aromatic pipe tobacco available. It isn't a bad tobacco, just... generic. If you're looking for a mild smoke that is pleasing to the crowd in the room then this will work for you. Tongue bite can be an issue if puffed on too hard which can happen with aromatics, especially if you want more of the taste and you draw more deeply to get it. There seems to be a hint of vanilla in the room but it certainly didn't seem to carry through to the flavor. The tobacco seems to be decent quality.

The best use I've found for this tobacco is as a blender. Right now a 50/50 blend of this and the burley of your choice will liven things up a bit. Not a complex smoke, just adds a little more depth to the nutty burleys that are available. Heck, a little of this and Prince Albert isn't too bad either if you're in the mood for a change of pace smoke.

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

As I mostly smoke virginia/VaPer blends, I'm going to review this based on what it is rather than what it is not.

I usually have a couple of ounces of this in my tobacco bar. It is a nicely flavored cavendish aromatic mixture that is light on the palate but with a pleasant vanilla taste and aroma. Not nearly as flavorful as my other two "standard" aromatics (McClellands #2050 and Stokkebye's French Vanilla), perhaps I smoke this because this is what I started on decades ago. My first tobacco was Captain Black Royal, and this is its higher quality "tobacco shop" counterpart. At my age, romance is where it finds you - usually in the reminiscence phase!

If you're looking for complexity, you won't find it here. It's not geared for that. It's purpose is a simple, mild smoke that is a nice palate cleanser for a later headier blend. Very inoffensive to both smoker and those around him. And if it bites, SLOW DOWN!!!! Everyone that is not adverse to aromatics should try this once. There's a reason it's the best selling premium bulk tobacco.

Very Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is the bulk of Captain Black Royal with somehow less conservative agents.

Most people start pipe smoking with 1Q and keep smoking it forever(with 1 pipe), or they just quit smoking for good (tongue pain), or they back to cigarette, few of them continue pipe smoking with higher quality tobaccos and pipes.

This may explain why this blend is Worldwide no.1 selling.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (27)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

this is a classic aromatic and deserving of it's place, but it is not for me. i find this to be much too heavily treated, even to the point of making my throat itch and giving me a headache. i will not knowingly buy this again and if it were all that i had to load my pipes with i would put them up for auction. i rate this as "somewhat recommended" only because i know that are many who prefer aromatics, and for those that do, this is certainly one to try.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Good for beginners. I like BCA or the Bulk Capt. Black mixed with ammeretto better. This blend tends to get hot, I hate hot smoking tobacco! Nicotine factor is low, one pipe won't cut it. This is sold at almost every pipe shop that makes {so called} custom blends. Flavoring is that of vanilla and coconut. If it were cool smoking I'd say it was a good tobacco.

mdnghtramblr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnghtramblr (7)

This was, as some have noted, the first tobacco I was introduced to. I have to say that I still enjoy it. Nice mild smoke. The room note is very pleasing to me, and I have gotten comments on it smelling good if I am smoking around a group of people. It does tend to burn on the wet side if you are a heavy puffer, so when trying this tobacco take your time with it. Still, an overall nice blend, one that I usually have a couple ounces of around the house.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)

I love this Tobacco, I have smoked this stuff for years. It has the aroma of Vanilla,Coconut, and perhaps Chocolate. Zero tongue bite, and holds its flavor all the way down the bowl. It burns to a clean dry ash, a wonderful blend that you must try.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was my #1 smoke for 15 years. The first tobacco I bought by the pound. Then I discovered Flakes and Perique and Stoved Virginia's and life changed..... I still keep it around but only smoke it about 10 times a year.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)

I bought this blend at my local smoke shop and I have to say its not bad ,though its more of a beginner smoke. The room note is good and even pass the wife test , in fact she bought another ounce of this stuff. The flavor has hints of vanilla I think.I dont get much of a tongue bite either. This blend you got to try at least once , it might be your your next favorite ,for me it is just something I tryed and probably will buy in a few years when I feel like having some.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My sample of this is actually a house blend sold by the Just For Him pipe shop in Springfield, MO and is also called Just For Him. I heard from a very reliable source that it is 1Q and they do look like twins. This is an attractive blend in the pouch, with gold, reddish brown, brown, and black ribbons of tobacco. Pouch aroma is a little too sweet for my tastes. 1Q packs and lights fairly easily and doesn't seem to require an excessive amount of relights for an aromatic (I used the Frank method of pipe packing). The taste is that of a sweet aromatic with very little tobacco taste evident. I know that's a big turn-off for a lot of smokers and there was a time when it would have put me off, too. In the last year or so, I've found my tastes have become pretty eclectic and I sometimes have a sweet tooth when I go to my pipe rack. The taste of 1Q is not the sickening, goopy slurry of some aromatics, it's just a nice vanilla taste with a little bit of burley in the background. The room note is wonderful; the first time my wife smelled it, her comment was "that smells good enough to eat". You will make friends with this one. Single guys take note, the ladies love it! Saving the best for last, you can get some great buys on this tobacco. JFH sells it for $19.95/lb. I just ordered a pound from Lil' Brown Smoke Shack for $14.45/lb. Scores for 1Q; taste- 13 out of 20; pack and lighting-6 of 10; price-10 of 10. total score for 1Q, 29 out of 40 and a good * rating.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the better American Aromatics. My sample has lost some of the moisture it arrived with and has become a pretty good smoke. The taste is all choco-something but I enjoy it in limited engagements. Smokes very clean and dry. Burns quite a while too. This stuff is just made for a Dr. Grabow or a corncob. Good smoke for puttering in the workshop or garage. Just put the pipe down when it gets too hot and resume puffing when it cools down. (07/08/2005)

Update: A economical beginner smoke. Smells good too.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)

I think this tobacco gets a bad wrap because of its cheap price. Its really not bad at all for an aromatic bulk. I first tried it from a boxpass and then realised that my local tobacconist carried it under the name Yorkshire. It doesn't smoke too hot and leaves no lingering taste in my pipes, which is a lot to ask for from an aromatic. I tend to smoke it in the evenings to relax just before bed.

pagansmurf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pagansmurf (8)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I rather enjoy this, the flavor is a nice caramel-vanilla chocolate, seems to be kinda strong in nicotine, which I like. I think it smells pretty good burning, but those around me cringe whenever I light up. Its worth smoking when your inexperienced, although I think I will grow out of it eventually.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Update 4/22/205: Yep, it's Wilshire.

1-Q reminds me of the genre of tobacco I purchased at my inception into pipe smoking. My predilections have long ago changed to Virginia flakes, English and Balkan blends. It is superior to most every drug store pouch blend of similar type.

I used to smoke Wilshire. This reminds nothing of Wilshire, but memories do fade. I'll have to check out a jar of Wilshire at my local Tinderbox for myself. I initially received a free bag of 1-Q to sample from another local tobacconist.

This is amazingly cool, cool, cool and a crowd pleaser (for the rare moments I care to appease the public). I would even say it is slightly rich due to the topping and fire-cured leaf. It tastes little like its tobacco base, though. It stays lit and will not bite.

I will not smoke this in anything but two Falcon pipes dedicated to cased and artificially flavored blends. Plus, Falcon's are great for water-logged blends like 1-Q for a no-gurgle smoke.

Worthy to keep an ounce or two around.

Pipe Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Guy (23)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Ahhh...the ubiquitous and infamous 1Q. It seems as if people either like this stuff or hate it. Well, I happen to be one of the people who like this stuff.

What more can I say that hasn't been said already? 1Q has a very mild yet nice aroma/flavor. Pouch aroma is also nice and mild. There's nothing outstanding about this tobacco, but it's just a nice, mild and simple tobacco. I can see 1Q as being a good standby in my regular baccy rotation.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

November-2003.1Q. I was given 1Q to try by a friend and I have smoked 10 bowls,back to back. I'm not normally an Aromatic lover but I have really enjoyed this as a SWEET CHANGE. If you have a sweet tooth or are new to pipe smoking,this would be fine. 1Q does not bite and theres no bitter after taste. 1Q is definitely not one of those horrible cherry or vanilla blends either. The taste reminds of barley sugar more than anything else. I love latakia,orientals,virginias,v-perique tobaccos normally.1Q is definitely ok by me for a change of pace. 8 out of 10.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I got acquainted with I-Q back in the late 1970s where it was known as "Special #2" at the old Pipe Pub franchise shops located around the southwest.

This is, by far, my all-time favorite aromatic blend. It is nutty, sweet, tastes like tobacco, has some nicotine strength, is very cool burning and is enjoyed tremendously by those non-smokers who happen to be around me while I'm puffing on this classic. Enjoyed by pipe smokers worldwide in droves, it is Lane's all-time top selling blend.

Good anytime, day or night... A true bell ringer!

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I agree with omegapd that this can be seen as a stepping-stone smoke, between the drugstore brands and the better blends.

It has a delightful smell in the bag and a very strong taste which I would describe as chocolately rather than vanilla. Room aroma is very nice, and garners somewhat more positive comments than the average aromatic. It can burn a bit on the hot side, and as others have said, leaves a lot of goop in one's pipe.

I find the taste to be very nice, but stronger than it ought to be. I'd like this tobacco much better if the flavoring was toned down about 40%.

I do enjoy this smoke occasionally, either in the morning with coffee or after dinner. Too sweet to be a regular smoke, for me it's good for a pipe a week or so.

Sold under dozens of different names, people buy it more than most other blends. It's not hard to see why. Vanilla and caramel are appealing flavors, especially when not overdone so that you get sick of it. That doesn't happen here. This is one of the quintessential "all day smoking blends", and though it's not a complex mixture, that works to its advantage for people who just want a pleasant, no nonsense, comfortable smoke.

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (3)

I have read a lot of great things about this, so my disappointment was a surprise. This reminds me of what I use to smoke so many years back. Not picking the pipe back up after 25 years, perhaps I'm learning I'm not a ribbon cut kinda guy.

I found this hard to park and keep lit. The last few bowls got better, but still lots of relights. My wife doesn't like sweet things (one has to ask why she married me) so the smell was not to her liking. However, I did like the smell when stepping back into the room and catching a whiff.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (36)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This has a wonderful aroma both in the pouch and when smoked. My wife was asking, "what's for desert?" Despite the aromatic flavors added you can always taste some decent unadulterated virginias in the background (which is probably why this smoke is well respected.) I'd recommend this to anyone, but the two stars instead of three is due to the fact that I won't be purchasing any more of this simply because I like natural tobacco flavors more than topping flavors.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

A lot of people like this stuff. I don't judge them one bit. I have some of this on-hand and smoke it on occaision, myself. However, 1Q just doesn't do anything for me. I like the taste of tobacco and I don't find it in this. Don't get me wrong; I love a lot of tobaccos with a bit of a topping, such as University Flake, Epiphany, Bob's Chocolate Flake, etc., but this one, not so much. If aromatics are your thing, this is a good one, but it's just not my cup of tea. On a positive note, the wife loves the way it smells!

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

When I first took to the pipe, this was among my first tobaccos; following a recent revisit (my smoking horizons broadened considerably in the interim), I regret that all I can say is, "Meh".

Not really remarkable (or offensive, for that matter) in any way.

Would concur with Smoke Ring that "Trout Steam" offers a more enjoyable, lighlty caramel-flavored smoke

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Every day smoke available everywhere can be a little too mild and to sweet. Definitely goops up your pipe.

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Very cheap tobacco (price). Good tin aroma, not enough nicotine for my liking. From what I have been told, the room note is good.

WooseyWid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WooseyWid (5)
Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

The most goopy, ghostly, bite prone Lane Limited i have tried. Turned me off of aromatics completely. Sorry not my baccy. There are way better aromatics out there.

Only benefit of this baccy is its room note and availability.(Lane Limited tobaccos are always found jared up and renamed in tobacco shops)

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

A good bulk blend that's non-offensive and tastes decent enough to smoke all day. Most will recognize this blend under it's retail name: Captain Black Royal.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is like smoking a cigarrette. Not enjoyable for pipe smokers who want flavor or a smooth tasting tobacco. one star

Update edit: No. This is worse than smoking a ciggarette. Cigarrette have better flavor than this junk. No stars.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Room note is ok but it has very little flavor. It seems Lane has relied on the glycol for furnishing the flavor as well as serving as a humectant. It is so soaked with propylene glycol it is nearly impossible to light. Surprisingly, it doesn't bite and it leaves little goop in the bowl considering how wet it smokes. I suppose I could have tried to dry it out but it had so much glycol in it that I could have set it on a sunlit rock for decades and it would remained imcombustable. I like aros but this stuff is awful.

Grampa's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grampa's Pipe (12)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The favorite of novice pipe smokers everywhere, I just don't see the attraction. Fast burning, little flavor and lots of steam. I have no aversion to aromatic, but this one offers nothing to the experienced pipe smoker.

Shanebro123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shanebro123 (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was excited to try this since it was recommended to me buy a guy i bought a pipe from and the guy at the tobacco store said its a top seller. basically bought enough for a couple bowls. tried one right away. lit it up meh its ok i felt like it got worse as i went on. not a really good flavor it smelt decent tho just really nothing to write home about. i didnt even finish the whole bowl. just really didnt like it. gave me kind of a sick feeling like after you eat something thats not that great but you eat it anyway thats what i got just overall not that impressed. i give it 1 star just because it started off alright and no tongue bite. maybe someday i will give it another whirl but not something im buying anytime soon.

greekthinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greekthinker (18)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I have been smoking Lane's RLP6 on and off for 30 years. Every so often I decide to go blend hunting and as strange as this may be, I never smoked 1Q. So I ordered a half pound. I have smoked it a few times. I understand that this is the number 1 seller of bulk tobacco in North America. I can not fathom how this blend could be so popular with "real" pipe smokers. It has no complexity. It is weak in every area except that it is mild and a little sweet. I have a theory about the popularity of this blend. I would guess that at this very moment there is a high percentage of pipe smokers who have been smoking less than a year and who won't be smoking a pipe by this time next year. Their ranks will be replenished with new pipe smokers who, like them, will smoke for a while and quit. Of these transient smokers a tremendous number of them either find or are directed by the guy who sold them their first pipe to 1Q. I would bet a lot of money that out of the pipe smokers who have been smoking regularly for 10 years or more, precious few smoke 1Q as their #1 blend. The blend leaves me totally unsatisfied. It has little body and no tobacco smell or taste that I can discern. RLP6 may seem stronger but it really is not. People may be mistaking body for strength. By "body" I mean smoke that is a little dark and heavy, as opposed to light and steamy. I recommend this somewhat because I understand that there are people who only want to put their toes in the water without jumping in. For them this is a good blend, I suppose. For me, I would be ashamed to load this in one of my better pipes. Anyone want to buy whats left of my 8 ounces? Cheap, real cheap.

TerryJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TerryJ (7)

I suspect everyone in America has had 1Q at some time or other, even if they didn't know it. I'm lead to believe that this is among the most popular, if not THE most popular bulk blend sold in the states.

This was my first pipe tobacco, and therfore my first tobacco, I ever tried. As my ratings show, this is a plain Jane middle of the road tobacco. It doesn't offend, neither does it cause one to say "Wow, what a smoke!" It's a fairly safe blend to smoke in public, in part due to it's benign character.

I think part of it's beauty is that it can be found virtually anywhere tobacco is sold, and is always a "safe bet" if you're caught short on a trip. It lights easy, smokes well, and burns down to a clean ash.

Tubalcain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tubalcain (6)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Don't waste your time with this. It will ruin your pipe and render it unsuitable for smoking non-aromatics. Save your time and money. YUCK!!!!!

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

The fact that this is the #1 selling tobacco in the U.S. is disturbing. So this is what the masses smoke? I too, like any beginner, started with heavily cased wet tobacco as well. I must have missed this one, thankfully. The taste does not live up to the pouch aroma, not to mention the bite it lays down on your tongue - without much taste to go with it. The room note is about all that is pleasing about this blend. Only half of this blend can be smoked due to the PG & flavor content - which makes it impossible to dry out. Believe me, I tried. For a beginner, I would just assume recommend Captain Black or virtually any drug store blend over 1Q. Lane's gold cavendish or HS-3 are better alternatives for the beginner or lover of aromatics.

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I believe that people who choose to smoke this have the smell of the room dominate their impressions more than the taste of the tobacco.

Warning to pipe owners: this half-life of this stuff will cause it to leave its mark in the bowl to near eternity. I wouldn't recommend using your best pipes on this blend unless you love this stuff.

And, a lot of people do love this stuff. It is the most popular bulk tobacco, by far, of any in the local shops. I know (and pity) people who smoke nothing but 1Q. And, I am glad to be around when they do, as it does smell great.

But, this blend won't see any more action in my pipes.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

RLP6 and HS3 are decent when their all I can get, so I do smoke Lane blends when neccisary. However, I have to wonder how this is the #1 selling bulk tobacco. Burns hot and wet, bites like a wolverine, leaves gobs of goop and will booger up your pallate and your pipe. The aroma is the only thing going for this blend. Overall, this is horrid even for Lane. I'll leave this one for the rest of the population reportedly buying in mass quantities. RLP6 and HS3 are much better offerings.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Ah yes..This is called All day Long in my local B&M. Smells good and ....well thats about it. Oh yeah it tastes like...steam. Great room note though. Perhaps they could make this in an insense stick. Because thats about all its good for. For beginners maybe if they don't want to actually taste anything resembling tobacco. 12/18/04

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

1-Q is a fairly run-of-the-mill prototypical aromatic designed for neophyte smokers. I cannot, for the life of me, understand this blends popularity unless there are really that many good folk experimenting with pipe smoking at any one time. Calling it "bad" would be a disservice but it gets cloying real fast and tends to mistreat your beloved briar to a nasty bowl bath. Packs easily but requires a few re-lights due to it's artificial moisture level (PG?). I bought an ounce of this but highly doubt I'll finish more than the few bowls I've already had; there are just too many better blends out there. Caveat emptor.

vmalloc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vmalloc (10)
Mild Very Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is -the- Lane bulk. Of course, nobody calls it that: It's 'Gold' and they usually mix it with some black cavendish and call it 'Black and Gold'. It's not very good. But if you like generic vanilla crap, then by all means. Often bitter, sour smoke, flavor varies from somewhat ok vanilla to burning butterscotch from hell. Super goupy, and you could run it through a clothes dryer without taking out the moisture. Less chemical crap than Captain Black, but if you ask me it tastes even worse. It doesn't taste, or even look like tobacco. If you're going to buy a vanilla aromatic, look for something else, there has -got- to be something better out there.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this when I was a relatively new pipe smoker and had only tried store brands up until then. My tobacconist suggested 1-Q. I was surprised to find that the smell is pretty much all there is to this blend. After lighting there was almost no taste and the rest of the way into the bowl there was a hint of flavor but I wasnt sure if it was left over from another tobacco. It was a little to hot for my tongue. I had to light more times than I care to mention. Many have said it is a good beginners tobacco, but I wouldnt even say that. I would smoke it if I had nothing else available, but do not plan to ever purchase it again. The one thing that makes this blend worth the money spent on it is the very low cost. It is also a very good tobacco to blend with something else to tone the other down a bit, but I can't imagine any other use for it.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The ever-popular 1-Q. I read that this is the #1 selling bulk tobacco. I had to try it.

The bag aroma is nice, but I did detect a bit of a 'twang' to it. Cut looks consistent. It packed reasonably well, and lighting was easy enough.

Though the tobacco didn't appear to be wet, it was pretty steamy. The flavoring is pleasant enough, though not what you would call complex in any way. Toward the end of the bowl you might actually taste some tobacco.

I think 1-Q is highly overrated. Many newbies start with it, because it smells good in a jar. I don't care for the tongue bite it produces, and it smoked wet. Also, it gave me a bad case of cotton-mouth whenever I smoked it. I ended up giving away about a half of a pound of it.

badsneaker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
badsneaker (6)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This seems to be "the" ultimate ubiquitous vanilla blend. While not suited to my tastes, I do agree that there is something here for neophytes. It packs and lights easily and has been known to please a crowd. IMHO- call the tobacco police, someone spilled the proverbial vanilla extract yet again.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Like many people who smoke pipes this was a starter blend for me. I think it is ok for the beginning pipe smoker in that it smells good and burns fairly cool. I do not like these kind of blends any more and lean torwards virginia, perique and english blends. I am not going to bash this in that many pipe smokers enjoy this, especially new ones or people who prefer aromatics. I will say that I probably wont smoke this again due to my change in tastes.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Yuk! OK, maybe that is too strong. Bland. Is that better? Some have suggested that this could be a stepping stone between drugstore blends and quality tobaccos. While I believe 1-Q maybe falls in this in-between category, in terms of quality, I do not subscribe to the stepping-stone philosophy. Step directly to MacBaren's Vanilla Cream (being aware of tongue bite) and have done with the middleman.

Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

What is wrong with the world today? Why is this one of the most widely sold blends on the planet? Ahh- the questions I have for the almighty! This crud is for the birds. Tasted like just another vanilla cased drug store blend at first and then gets nauseous. This is another blend my poor uninformed wife brought home from the local tobacco store when she was trying to be nice. They must of seen her as a poor defenseless victim to push this crap onto. They might as well tried to give her dope! It would have been less criminal. I fired it up to make her happy and waited for her to wander off so I could dipose of the rest in a biohazard bag, before going to retch in the commode! Please do yourself a favor and look somewhere else for your cheap stuff. I agree with Kerdy in that Captain Black Blue is a much better alternative.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

Like so many others, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I know this stuff as "Checkmate, the final move to the King of tobaccos." The flavoring was described as vanilla w/a hint of coconut. Sold quite a bit of it at one time. By all means a very popular bulk blend, nearly every smoke shoppe has it w/another name tagged to it. Smoked this off and on for a while, but these days I just don't deal w/flavored tobaccos of this style. Guess my tastes have changed considerably. Mind you, I'm not knocking it. Like other blends it has its place, and many puffers may still swear by it and that's fine, but I don't think it will have a regular spot in my cabinet. May try it for old times sake someday, but I'm in no hurry. No longer works for me.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Lane's 1Q must be one of the most widely distributed blends around. Of course, it is found under a myriad of other names. In my case, I purchased it at a Tinderbox, two years ago, under the name Wilshire. It is a mixture of fine cut pieces with a heavy Vanilla pouch aroma. I only smoked a few bowls, and then I put it away. The Vanilla makes for a fine room aroma. Unfortunately, that is all that I taste during the smoke. I can't taste any of the underlying tobaccos. Even my hands smell like Vanilla from handling the mixture. Still this is a very popular blend, and probably not too bad for a beginning pipester. One of my concerns is that I found this little plastic bag in a kitchen drawer where I placed it two years ago. I was sure it would be bone dry. Yet, it is as fresh and wet as when I first purchased it. In fact, it is still too moist too smoke. My regular blends would have turned to powder in just a month or two. There is a ton of preservative chemicals in the blend. I would not mind smoking a bowl once or twice a year, but I won't keep any around.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

My son and I went into Tinderbox a couple years ago and incountered the very very pleasant aroma of Wilshire. This is rare for me to really like an aroma enough to purchase an ounce or so. I normally stay clear of "candy smelling" tobaccos but this one got me.

Upon getting home and lighting up, Wilshire was smooth but the taste could not match the smell. After some trial runs, I gave the rest away. It did not have enough to it to keep my interest.

A very good beginner smoke.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Like every other young kid who wanders into a pipe shop, I've smoked my share of 1-Q. (Luckily, that share was not large.) 1-Q smells good either in the pouch or as smoked. That's this tobacco's strong suit. It doesn't burn particularly well and leaves a fair amount of goop in the pipe. This is probably OK for beginners, but even there, certainly there are better choices. (Pease Barbary Coast for one, Mac Baren Navy Flake for another.)

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Very Mild Medium Medium Strong

On eof the tobaccos that got me started as a pipe smoker . Highly recommended for the beginner smoker or lover of aromatics . Can become wet and goopy , but that goes with the territory . Good for smoking in public .

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the blends the tobacconist foisted onto me when I bought my first pipe. It's not a bad aromatic as such things go, and I was smoking it in basket Alpha with plenty of fills that certainly wasn't going to complain about my choice.

Along with some other Lane Rum-flavored blend, I smoked this for two or three months before discovering the semi-aromatic Moria Gate, Trollshaws, and Frogmorton, and made my way from there to non-aromatic virginia and latakia blends.

The room aroma of 1-Q received constant positive comments, however it had very little flavor, and tended to smoke hot and steamy, and to scorch my tongue. Part of this no doubt was due to the poor quality of the Alpha, but some of it was just the nature of the beast. It is somewhat better in a system pipe like a Peterson or Falcon.

OTOH, I don't think I would have gotten into smoking at all if this blend hadn't smelled so good in the jar at the tobacconist :-)

RJohnson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RJohnson (1)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Currently my personal favorite, Wilshire is one of the least biting aromatics out there. Flavor-wise it has a hint of chocolate when you first light up. It's also one of the tobaccos that definitely tastes better than it smells out of the pouch. From a second hand impression, it has a slightly nutty chocolate smell. It's a big hit here. Wilshire is a ribbon cut that smokes long and easy. Highly recommended.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Quite simply the single worst tobacco I've ever smoked! Absolutely no flavor, no taste, whatsoever. As far as the room note goes, I didn't notice it at all ( I always smoke outside). I cannot believe people smoke this. Someone else said you might as well be smoking colored paper. Sadly, I had to put that statement to the test. I did. And he was right.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie ruf tone

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: local shop

Elipuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elipuff (4)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is not really for me. First off it is very sweet to me and does not feel like I'm smoking tobacco at all but instead burning sugar or something. I can tolerate it but its not something that suits my taste.

I would say this is for somebody that's into a nice smell because it does smell nice but smelling too much of it can also give somebody a headache. It has a hint of a vanilla type of taste that is very sweet to my taste buds and I can see how people would like this but I like the taste of tobacco not candy.

If you like sweet stuff and vanilla this might be for you but if your into more of a tobacco taste then this would probably just be something you would smoke if your in the mood for it. Also this really does remind me of captain black but just slightly better but if you've graduated from captain black already it is too similar that you wouldn't want to return back.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Another simple aromatic.I love aromatics,but this one is not a keeper.It is too mild for my taste,not enough flavor.It doesnt burn very well,and smells better than it taste.I wiil sum this one up as a low-grade simple aromatic.

bryantm3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bryantm3 (29)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought this from the Tinderbox in Alpharetta since I was running low on 'baccy and I needed a quick fix. This wasn't the ticket. Although I usually smoke straight burley or VA rather than flavoured blends, I figured that since Wilshire/1-Q was so popular that it must be somewhat decent, and the smell in the glass jar was enticing, so I bought an ounce. The experience I had in my Stanwell Featherweight was not conducive to the smell I experienced in the jar. The taste was like caramelizing sugar at best, and at worst, had a strong chemical taste. Apparently this blend is guilty of too much Propylene Glycol. The chemical taste overwhelmed me and I had to dump out the pipe. I definitely would not recommend this to anyone else.

@ Jshrader: You should ask Adam at the Tinderbox in Atlanta for McClelland 5100 if you haven't tried it yet. It's a light, sweet unflavored Virginia that smokes well and dry.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

As others have said, 1Q is a very classic smelling tobacco which most tobacconists carry as one name or another and my wife happens to love the smell. However, this is probably the only reason I will keep smoking this, as it is plain and dull in flavor.

A small bag of this shall remain in my cabinet for those times when I have to remedy too much Nightcap, in order to keep the peace.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't see what all the fuss is about with this blend. To me it's one step above Captain Black. It has a bad chemical taste half way through the bowl and if not careful will give you tongue bit. This is going in my "end of the world" stash along with some others.