Iwan Ries

Balanced tasted on the subdued side with just a hint of aromatic. Most appealing.

BrandIwan Ries
ContentsCavendish
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste
2.0
Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (37)

I prefer the Blue and the Gold, as they have a bit more taste, but Gray is good. All are light, blue the fullest to me.

Slow down, puff slowly and gently, and you may enjoy this.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried all the three star blends about 35 years ago when I was eager to try every blend available in search of the perfect 'baccy. All of the 3 star blends tasted like mixture #79 in varying degrees. They smelled like licorice in the pouch and left a soapy taste on the palate after smoking. Not recommended unless you would like to regress to being a 4 year old with a bubble pipe. (Remember the toy bubble pipe of the late 1950's? YOu would fill them with liquid soap and blow bubbles with them but you would forget to keep the pipe tilted down and some of the soap would run into your mouth. Yeeeetch!)

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a light aromatic that I find myself smoking regularly. It has a unique taste and aroma. It's kind of subtle, but not a boring smoke.

Burns clean and is relatively easy on the tongue. Not goopy at all; sort of a refreshing smoke that I light up when I'm not quite sure what I want to smoke.

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

SmokeKing David

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The description notes, "Balanced tasted on the subdued side with just a hint of aromatic." I found it most subdued. The minimal taste and flavor was apparent at first light and for a short way down the bowl. After that, the taste disappeared, i.e., became bland, and ?the nip? creeped in. I really can?t find anything positive to say about what I will call 'Two Star Gray' and that may be a bit generous.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 5.5 out of 10.

Winter pipe fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Winter pipe fan (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

When I'm in the mood for an aromatic, Three Star Gray is usually my first choice. Like many of you, my wife isn't a fan of cigars and pipe tobaccos with a strong room note to be smoked in the house (I do anyway, though!) so, there became a "need" to try and find an aromatic that my straight tobacco taste preference can somehow be satisfied and gets a thumbs up from others in our home. Three Star Gray is a perfect choice - I think it's certainly one of the best aromatics from Iwan Ries Co. From a pipe smoker's point of view, it smells GREAT in the pouch, packs and lights easily, stays lit, has an altogether refreshing taste. Best of all, I have received many compliments from others commenting on how nice this tobacco smells. This is the brand I would take with me in a social gathering. I've heard from others (my dad included) that women love Three Star Blue. I tested it against Three Star Gray - and my unscientific survey cleary favors the Gray. If you're looking for an aromatic with a fresh taste, easy dry burn and compliments from those around you, Three Star Gray is one to try.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I've been told this blend was primarily Burleys with a slight topping. That it probably is (mixed with some Virginias and whatever else) but it also bites up a storm. Like pipestud, I prefer this to Blue (due to biting LESS than Blue which blew my mind that something could actually bite more than this stuff) but I really didn't like a whole lot about it either. I know a bunch of people who smoke up these old Iwan Ries blends all day long but they don't do much for me. I think 3 star Red was my favorite of the bunch.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I prefer this to Blue because it doesn't have the bite that Blue has. It is softer on the palate too, and can be enjoyed several times a day.

Like most of the other 3-Star series, it does not contain latakia or heavy orientals, and burns down the bowl cleanly. If you want a different sort of flavor without being overwhelmed or bitten, this might just be what you're looking for.