As Curly Cut, but made on a different spinning machine which produces a thicker rope. This tobacco was introduced prior to A.C. Peterson reintroducing Cope's original Escudo. While the two tobaccos are similar in appearance there is no Perique used in this blend. This is a medium strength tobacco.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Taste
NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)

Curly Cut Deluxe is a very nutty tobacco to my tastes. Cashews to be specific. My experience with the first few ounces has been very positive. It burns well, cool if you aren't aggressive and a sufficient taste. I found it to be durable, that is to say I smoke it when I'm doing activities that are sure to cause me to relight a lot, and it never seems to resent it.

Its nutty qualities are singular in nature - read that not complex but very consistent and enjoyable. I know just when to reach for this. I have rubbed it, just grabbed it and even folded the coins. Every method has proven to smoke well. I'm not giving it four stars since a number of tobaccos in my estimation, have achieved what this does, but nonetheless its good quality.

Cheers, VC

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

The tin aroma is that familiar GH, almost-cinnamon scent. It shares some of the characteristics of my beloved GH Brown Flake (cinnamon, vanilla smoothness, steamed flavors) though in much smaller amounts. The critical difference is the fire-cured tobacco here that gives this a sharp edge.

For my taste, though, this tobacco is one-dimensional. If you loves ropes, this could be a nice choice for adding some non-rope flavors, but I don't like ropes. This is probably closest to Esoterica Stonehaven, which I give slightly better marks. This is in the general range of Three Nuns, Escudo and SG FVF, but all three of those have more flavor and diversity, so I won't be returning to GHCCD.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The tobacco comes in dark brown spun disks, similar in appearance to Regular Curly but with the addition of modest amounts of very dark strands. This tobacco has less bite than Regular Curly, and it has some light sweetness and a bit of flavor. In my opinion, this is superior to Regular Curly but has very little to recommend it. Paddy.

This is mostly a medium straight VA blend, with a bit of fire-cured added to make in interesting. This is a good blend for straight VA smokers to try if they want to get a hint about VA fire-cured without being overwhelmed by it. It packs easily, lights fairly easily, and smokes evenly. It comes apart easily as well, for those who insisted at rubbing out disks and flakes. This is not an exciting blend, but it isn't bland, either. A good, solid, straightforward blend.

Not a hint of Lakelands in my sample, and this is about as 'unsweet' a blend I've had.

Pipe Used: cobs, briars, and meers

Age When Smoked: opened on arrival

Purchased From: smoking pipes

As is the case with many blend from this company, there's a floral Lakeland essence, although lightly added. There's a grass/hay-like taste with some nuttiness and a little earthy taste from the high quality Virginias. It's a decent smoke with very little complexity, but it wouldn't make my rotation. I did add some perique, and liked it better, but I feel if that's what you have to do to make it more pleasing for you, then another blend would work better for a discriminating smoker. More of a two and a half star blend than a two star, but it's not a three for me.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Curly Cut Deluxe takes a little bit of persuasion to get lit and burns a tad wet for me. It has a nice,"dark", sweetness similar to the regular G&H Curly Cut. Personally, I do not like this near as much as I like the regular G&H Curly. The description says it's the same stuff as the Curly Cut only in a larger rope. The Deluxe is not as smooth a smoke nor does it taste quite the same. I will buy more of the Curly Cut but NO more of the Deluxe!

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Curly Cut Deluxe . The unlit Tobaccos aroma resembles Petersons Sherlock Holmes for me . The curly cut is very appealing to look at , being of a good mixture of sizes and it is of a great moistness , making it perfect to light up . The smoke has a superb and full Virginia flavour with a floral note and slight Nuttiness to it. The smoke contains a good Nicotine amount , making it a pleasure to inhale if chosen to . No bite from this one for me , but for that we all vary ! The burn is really steady and even , staying lit very well without many re-lights . When the smoking is finished the pipe remains Gunk and Cake free , so this would make a superb all day smoke . Would be a good regular smoke .

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef

Purchased From: Smoke King

Curly Cut Deluxe has the potential to be a tobacco that I could fall for, but just seems to barely miss. It burns cool, there is the usual GH quality. The mixture of ribbons and coins is inviting and after a bit of dry time it smokes really well. It has a bit of an edge to it, but in itself it isn’t a deal breaker. But since it has been compared to Copes Escudo without the Perique, I don’t really see the comparison. CCD lacks the refinement of Copes (or A&C for that matter) and the complexity too. The steaming along with whatever GH does in processing is apparent, as it shares some of the similarities to other GH Virginias. However, I don’t taste any floral or soap in CCD. Maybe some age will make the difference, but I am not sure if I want to make the space in the cellar and my wallet to find out.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 53;

Rated Percentage = 88%;

Comment = Smooth, Mild, has a Danish type Flavor like Amphora Regular.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

There is a nice, soft Virginia flavor to Curly Cut Deluxe...and it's beautiful to work with. Spun lightly, the disks fall apart as you handle them, producing a wonderful, soft bed of tobacco. The note is less grassy and slightly acidic, somewhat reminiscent of a good McClelland Virginia. It tastes perfectly natural, without any added casing, very much like its sister blend, Curly Cut, which lacks the "Deluxe" name. The two are so similar in cut and taste, they are difficult to tell apart, and I have to really wonder if they deserve separate titles. With that, I took the two one ounce samples I had purchased and threw them together in a single mason jar.

And now to the dark side...this is by far the worst biting blend I have ever sampled. It is so terrifying to smoke that I all but gave up--with trepidation loading up a bowl every now and then to see whether anything has changed. It never does. Through innumerable variety of pipe, packing, and puffing, they all fail to tame this tobacco. The bite will hit you immediately, and it will not relent, through the course of an entire bowl. And aging does nothing to settle this blend down. A year later I can barely take a puff without cursing the gods. This alone kills any redeeming feature that Curly Cut possesses. It's unsmokeable.

I still have a substantial supply remaining, and decided to undertake a few blending experiments. My first was a disaster. I added about 25% Perique, thinking it would cut the bite. And then I made a huge error. I decided my new blend required a topping, so I doused it in Grand Marnier, an orange flavored liquor. It sounded great, and I waited patiently for the tobacco to dry in anticipation of a tasting. Well, it turns out that the bite was even worse! I couldn't even puff the stuff, it was murder. This was obviously stupid, in retrospect, knowing that Grand Marnier is a sweet liquor, of which the sugar would only further contribute to the bite.

I'm now on my next big experiment here--I figured I could drown out the bite with a few low sugar components added to the mix. I put together equal parts Latakia, Curly Cut, and Smyrna, with less than five percent Burley and some GH Dark Flake, to boost the strength (I'm all out of Perique). I'll have to let this settle a bit before trying it out, but you can see what I've resorted to here, trying to get rid of this Curly Cut mess.

Of all the various GH blends I've sampled over the years, this is by far the worst. I'm not certain what they did to this leaf to have it bite so ferociously, but it's not worth the trouble. It's a rare miss from Gawith Hoggarth. Keep away from Curly Cut and Curly Cut Deluxe, unless you are some kind of masochistic smoker who enjoys a bit of punishment. There's got to be a few of you out there, yeah?

It's been a good two years. The bite is all but gone, and I'm left with a wonderful Virginia. To be honest, I'm not sure it was worth the wait, but if you're patient, you will be rewarded. I'm not certain whether the blend simply needed to settle or whether my chemistry has changed over the years but it's only fair to revise my review. At its present state this is a three to four star blend, but I have to take into account the path that led me here, so I'll give it a two. Now that I'm left with only an ounce to play around with I'm a bit saddened, though not intrigued enough to wait another two years for another batch to mature. If you like waiting, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Emil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emil (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought this tobaccos in bulk many years ago, first tried it a while ago after having it remoistened.

I really like the taste of this. Very clean and honest. Lovely spiciness but with just the right level of fullness to be bring satisfaction. It works all the way down the bowl, but with increasing strength.

The only problem I have with it, as with similar blends is that its rather harsh when exhaled through the nose. And I really like to do that without the harshness.

But the mouthfeel is great, surprisingly so since the accidental (well...) inhalations are quite a bit harsh to the throat.

I will buy it if I find it in a shop when I visit UK next time, although I wont bother ordering it to Sweden. There are not many blends that are worth the high extra cost.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Nice 'old time' flavor, a little nutty, maybe just a touch of lakeland essence, just an all around smooth pleasant smoke. dont expect anything too strong or exciting just a nice mellow virginia with perhaps some burley (?).. seems to be lightly flavored

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)

I first tried this 2 yrs ago, finding it bitey and rather peppery-tasting. I sealed it in a jar for a year and found it much more mellow but not too exciting. Sealed again and left for another year my assessment has not changed. Comparing it to Escudo, I would say I most definitely prefer Escudo over the Curly Cut Deluxe. It is drier and better behaved with some age, but just not that tasty to me. I found it rather bland and one-dimensional--overall a bit boring.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The first thing I noticed trying this blend is that unlike other virginias, this one had flavor and taste from the start, and it continues all the way down. No way this does not have some burley in it though as it had too much nuttiness in it but it was very rich and dark and musky and I enjoyed it with hot tea and a good book. It needs a smaller heavily cake bowl to keep it tame as well as a slow relaxed smoke. It could hurt you if in a rush. The first few bowls of this I kept thinking this blend reminded me of something I used to like and finally it dawned on me. It tastes a lot like Amphora Brown which I smoked for years before they quit importing it to the US. Therefore I can see me keeping some of this on hand. It took a few lights to get it lit and then it burned all the way down to a grey ash. It has a sweet virginia sugar flavor and I never found myself trying to smoke it too fast to get taste like a lot of other virginia type blends. Add perique to it and it is delicious! I tend to like this makers tobaccos anyway and I have to say I enjoy this blend. Not four star because it is not their best blend, Rum Flake would be that. It is my favorite right now.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I believe CCD is either all VAs or VAs with some Burley in there. It's a combination of leaves, some of which are dark fired, and processes. Imagine a rich VA steamed, pressed, twisted, and sliced. Nice!

The dark-fired leaf is similar to what you'd find in traditional ropes. Its flavor reminds me of baking cinnamon bread in a walk-in humidor lined with Spanish cedar. The dark portions taste a bit like Brown Rope #4 but are slighter darker than that ? but not nearly as dark as Black XX. Also, the nicotine is easy, unlike the ropes. I feel the nicotine overwhelms the flavor potential in the ropes.

I also taste some of the earthy, grassy notes from brighter VAs, the richness of slightly darker VAs -- sort of like what you'd find in Full VA Flake -- plus a little nutty flavor here and there, which may be Malawi Burley or other wacky Burley the Lakeland houses tend to use. I love the Curly Cut tobaccos because, to me, they combine the best parts of Full VA Flake, Brown Flake Unscented, and a hint of the flavor in the unscented ropes but without the huge nictotine hit associated with those foul beasts.

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My bulk bag arrived full of large, moist, almost sticky, wheels of brown tobacco. I let mine dry out for a day and it seemes about perfect now. The bag aroma is somewhat like raisins and freshly mown grass. It is fairly easy to rub this out into whatever consistency that you prefer. Overall, it looks like very high quality tobacco.

A charring light, tamp, and a couple relights is usually sufficient to get this going. Patience is rewarded as attempting to get it going by incinerating it with a torch ligher is a sure path to a scorched tongue.

This blend has to be smoked slowly with good Virginia smoking technique. It is quite bitey and vigorous puffing will leave your mouth positively sizzling. It burns somewhat hot so I would recommend using a tall narrow bowl with a good cake already in place, and smoke as slowly as possible.

Taste is exceptional. It is sweet and tangy, reminiscent of citrus, and leaves a wonderfull taste in your mouth. Mostly high and middle notes from the Virginias. I think this is a classic pure Virginia with all its associated nuances. A great example what a Virginia should taste like. If you haven't noticed from above, WARNING EXTREME TONGUE BITE HAZARD!! Even still this stuff has such an intensely good flavor that it its just wonderfull. Your mouth will probably be sizzling with super virginia zest the whole time you smoke this, but its all part of the fun. This is like flirting with disaster, yet somehow it is irresistable. The fantastically awesome flavors will make you brave this stuff again and again. I've never smoked a straight virginia with this much punch, and I've tried a dozen since getting this weed. I'm down to about a gram or two but I haven't found any straight virginia that comes close to the intensity of flavor provided by these wheels of danger.

My wife says it smells like burned marshmallows from a camp cookout. This isn't one of her favorites but she doesn't mind it. Personally I think it has the "classic old world tobacco smell" and I love the room note.

I have upgraded this to four stars after trying several other straight virginias. This stuff is simply top notch. Dangerous but awesome.

Dizzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dizzy (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A high quality tobacco and wonderful smoke. Starts out tangy-sweet and smooths out towards the end--to me, this is what a VA should do: grab your attention, stay sweet, but not be cloying throughout. Good fresh but also ages well. Looking over the other reviews shows me how much taste differs. I truly don't understand why this doesn't have a higher overall rating.

12-24-2004 An excellent "Breakfast" Blend

Appearance and Aroma: When I first saw this blend, I was put off by the "coins" similar to Escudo and MacBaren's (so-called)Latakia blend. The former made me sick, and the latter burned my tongue no matter how I smoked it. After considering the quality of GH's other blends, I decided to give this one a whirlanyway. It smelled earthy and slightly perfumed, not at all like the previous blends mentioned.

Packing and lighting: I enjoyed staking the "coins" and rubbing out just a little on top. The blend had been sitting at my tobacconist for some time, so it was fairly dry. Lit 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Surprise! Mellow and earthy, yummmm. Reminded me of "Old Gowrie" but with a little more depth.

Mid-Bowl: The perfume is noticable at this point, but very much in the background. Similar oatishness to OG. This is a tasty tobac!

Bottom of Bowl: A slight increase of strength, the perfume recedes even more. You are left with a clean aftertaste. The ash is fine and light gray.

Overall: As I mentioned at the beginning, this is a good first pipe of the day blend. I prefer it to Old Gowrie or Picadilly. Tongue-bite is not a problem, nicotine is low too. The flavor of the tobac is complex for a mid-strength tobac and is in the mid to low end of the flavor spectrum. The room note was particularly liked by the ladies at my office, which was a surprise. While this one won't replace Marlin Flake or Blackwoods Flake, I will definitely keep some of this around for the mornings.

Ratiing: 4 out of 5 Points, enjoy...

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Well, if you are like me, there are some tobaccos you like from the get go and your opinion of them never wavers. Then there are others that you know you don?t like before finishing a bowl. There are still others that you initially like but later discover you don?t care for and tobaccos that don?t initially impress but grow on you. CC Deluxe fell into the latter category for me.

I was ready to give up on CCD after a couple of bowls but to give it a fair trial I finished my stash. It does have the classic Lakeland soapy/floral flavor but it was not overwhelming nor was it always present. I grew to enjoy this taste as a change from other, all too similar VA blends. The only negative I found is that the charring light and relight can be a bit acrid and harsh, typical of many VA blends but very pronounced in CCD. But once there is a good ?fire in the hole? and an even ash, this tobacco blooms into a nice, flavorful sweet smoke to the bottom of the bowl with nary a bite. As such, I call this a ?storm before the calm? tobacco.? I aired it out a bit as it was too moist for me. I won?t smoke it all the time but for a nice change of pace it will be a go to blend.

I rate this tobacco 7.9 out of 10

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

A friend of mine gave me some of this to try and I must admit that I am impressed. This seems to be a very high quality virginia blend. I have never tried the regular curly cut so I do not have that as a base in which to compare this with. When I first lit this I was a bit dissapointed in that the light was rather harsh. About an eighth of the way into the bowl it cooled down a bit and realy started to smooth out. By quarter way into the bowl it was realy alive with flavor. The virginias had a nice natural tasting sweetness that was not overload on the taste buds. There seemed to be some floral and malty overtones in which I very much enjoyed. I am going to experiment with this blend in differant pipes and at differant humidity levels to see what the potentials are. For right now I highly enjoy this and would highly recomend this to virginia lovers

I'm not sure what makes this the 'deluxe' since I've yet to try the GH regular curly cut. I will, for comparison, with my next order. This blend is available only in bulk. Either by the manufacturing process or in transit, since I ordered it via the net, most of the nickel to quarter sized disks from the spun rope slices became unraveled into wide but long ribbons. Quite different from the tinned presentation from MacBaren in their Roll Cake. Since I prefer not to rub out my flakes or plugs, this resulted in difficult, uneven packing and burning. The tobaccos are straight VAs from golden to dark brown with no detectable casing that smoke cool and without bite. Quality tobacco, but it is just too tangy/spicey for my all day tastes and this was accentuated in small bowled pipes or during quick smokes @ work. Only the first several puffs from 2"+ high bowls didn't exhibit this tendency. Other ~ blends are more enjoyable.