If you like Whiskey and Black Cavendish, this is your blend! Add in Virginias and Burleys to mix and you've got a smooth smoke sure to relax.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste
2.3
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Gawith Hoggarth American Whiskey . I decided to try this one after being turned on to Whiskey Aro's by Holger Danske Black and Bourbon ! Firstly , the unlit aroma is quite a pungent one , being a little heavy with Whiskey for me ! The pieces are fairly robust in their sizes and it is about 80% jet black . The first negative is that it is somewhat over the top with the moistness , so a short airing period is definitely a good prerequisite to use with this blend ! I leave a bowls worth aside for only about 2 hours and after the short drying time it lights up superbly and then delivers a burn that is unequivocally even and consistent . The flavour is not as harsh with Whiskey as I anticipated it to be , the Whiskey is a formidable additive but it gives a more subtle flavour than a raucous one which works lovely alongside the natural sweet taste from the Black Cavendish . To be fair the least discernible Tobacco is the Burley , its a taste you have to search for , the Virginia is a little easier to acquaint and is of a nice quantity for me . Vitamin N ? Wonderful amount , not strong nor weak . Tongue Bite ? Nonexistent ( but we all vary with that ) . The room note is mainly a Cavendish one with a very detectable Whiskey side to it but it is also quite full so I presume it would be a touch offensive for non-smokers in the vicinity ! I give this 3 stars and not 4 purely for the subjective reason that I feel the flavour becomes tedious after a while !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

I was very impressed with Gawith Hoggarth’s Top Black Cherry, but for as much as I enjoyed that blend, I was really let down by this American Whiskey. I too noticed a bit of a bitter flavor and some sourness too. The tobacco appears to be of the usual top quality from GH, but that is the only good news here. There are lots of great tobaccos out there with added spirits including GH’s Sweet Whiskey rope, but this isn’t one I’ll be smoking again.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 48;

Rated Percentage = 80%;

Comment = Smooth, Mild,Strong almost Bitter Whiskey Flavor, a little Gurgle at start of bowl