Based on Ascanian No. 1, but with 10 % Perique added.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging100g tin
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I do like Perique, and in most blends boasting it, I find too little of it for my taste. So here come DTM with a series of blends boasting Perique... guess what I do.

The tin aroma is fully sweet, with that hint of pepper and liquorice that I expect of Perique. The leaf is a ready-rubbed flake, with a good proportion of bright-to-red and about a quarter of dark-to-black leaf; some lumps of oily, black Perique flake are in there.

The moisture level is perfect to stuff and light; the leaf takes to the match as if it were only waiting for the flame, and from then on, I guess it's a matter of taste. Lots of VA sweetness, the Perique notes come out early on, but it takes me a while to really appreciate what the Orientals included here actually do: they add a depth of texture and taste (also to the room note) that a straight VA/Per can never offer. The taste remains interesting and full of nuances throghout the bowl, and the room note is probably acceptable to most people.

I use large bowls for this blend, and many more there will be.

Update 11-11-11: After most of my first tin and exposing more people to me smoking it, I have to up-rate the room note to very pleasant (even non-smokers don't complain), and with that, this blend clears the line between very good (my previous recommendation) and excellent. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: db Mayflower, Stanwell Viking

Age When Smoked: Ranging from new tin through 2 years

Purchased From: DanPipe

Similar Blends: Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture.

coldmoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coldmoon (16)

This VaPer tobacco blend is based on matured five year old Zambian Virginia tobacco. It also contains VAs from Mysore, some Oriental leaf and 10% Perique. The tin aroma is very sweet with hay like grassy notes. It has no apparent flavoring or casing. The tobacco is in ready rubbed form with occasional broken flake in it. The moisture level out of the tin is almost perfect, just 10 minutes of drying time needed.

Packs very easy and lights with no problems. Also stays lit very easy. From the very first puffs Perique comes out to play. It has that peppery taste to the smoke. Virginias are very smooth and of high quality. Orientals are almost unnoticeable in the beginning but after the first quarter of the bowl they are more apparent and nicely complements the VAs.

As @the_german mentioned before, this blend really benefits from pipes with larger bowls. Only after I smoked it in my Stanwell No.11 which has large pot shaped bowl, I understood how complex this blend is.

At the end of the bowl the taste is very peppery and strong. The nicotine level is on the medium side. As for the room note - it is rather pleasant. I highly recommend this blend to all the VaPer lovers.

Pipe Used: Stanwell No. 11