Voted Best English Blend in Show 2013 Richmond C.O.R.P.S. Show. In fox hunting, the quarry, the pack, the field and the field master are all essentials of the hunt. Conversely, this luxurious English mixture has its essentials: Smoky Latakia, Matured Virginias, Rich Burley and Quality Turkish.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging1.5 oz. tins

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

This is a good mild/medium English blend. It is a sweet, slightly bright Virginia with latakia as a condiment and just a whiff of orientals. I can only barely taste the burley. For me anyway this blend would benefit from some more depth or a little more complexity. I found it pleasant and reliable. Someone who likes Virginias and wants an English blend that is not too heavy on the latakia or the orientals would like this.

Update: I tried this in a Kaywoodie pot, and I think this blend favors a larger bowl. While still not quite a 4 star rating from me, it was a better smoke.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I am sorry. Based on other reviews and the sales pitch, at my local B&M, I was really looking forward to this. I got a whole tin at the Richmond Pipe Expo, as a free sample, and was drooling over it. I prepacked a couple of pipes the night before and my first taste was in a brand new MM cob. My second was in an estate Oom Paul sitter. It did light right up and burn through ok, I will give it that but that is about as far as I can go. I got no taste of an English tobacco from this at all. I did get a strong, consistent taste of P&G and other chemicals. I have noticed this with other Sutliff tobaccos and I am beginning to suspect that they do not really "blend" their tobaccos, or even put traditional toppings on them, so much as just adding chemicals for flavoring. Sort of like is done with cigarettes. I smoked two bowels of this stuff, at different times and it left my mouth with a goupy, chemically feeling. I did not get the taste of good, quality pipe tobacco. I did check myself with a bowl of Pirate Kake, in case it was me, maybe a cold or something. Nope, Pirate Kake is still good.

A mild to medium English blend with high quality Virginia that is very slightly sweet. The latakia gives the proper bass notes and does not overwhelm, and the Turkish is very mild. I enjoy the flavor of the burley, which adds an earthy, mildly sweet taste, and at times, is more obvious than the Virginia. It's the kind of English that you can smoke more than once a day, and feel satisfied. Some mild English blends leave a smoker with an empty feeling, but this one doesn't partly due to how the burley enhances the experience. Burns smooth and evenly with no bite, and often leaves you wanting to smoke another bowl right away.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Field Master

Tin Note: Light to Medium smokey Aroma

Tobacco: The tobacco appears in good quality cut and color of leaf. Good Moisture content right out of the can.

The Burn: Everything to like here ! A well rounded blend of Latakia, Virginias, Burleys and Turkish tobaccos This English style blend burns and tastes good all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. This blend is not overpowering which gives room for the flavors of the other types of tobaccos to show up which is important so that they are not overcast by the smokey latakia

Room Note: - who cares the tobacco tastes good !

my 5 star rating = almost 4

I have purchased and smoked this tobacco in the past and will do so again in the future great price but not sold in large sized containers

DS86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DS86 (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin note is smokey, but the Turkish neutralizes the smokiness, and the Burley rounds it out. Faint chocolate/maple undertones, and a touch of spice, not overwhelming.

Fills the pipe with ease. The charring light doesn't ask for much flame, which is nice. The bowl smokes like a freight train right off the bat. Tamps down for the true light with no fuss. Little to no relights with the right smoking cadence.

The chocolate/maple undertone takes a step forward when you put the lighter down. Then the Turkish takes about 3 steps forward followed by the Burley to hold it all together. The Virginias are on the side, while the Latakia fills in the gaps and nothing more.

The room note is similar to a hot cut piece of lumber.

I like this blend more than Sutliff's Sunrise Smoke, because it's less sweet, and a bit sharper. Good solid smoke.

I plan on keeping Fieldmaster in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Orient, large straight rustic billiard

Age When Smoked: 1yr

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Sunrise Smoke, although less sweet, more punch.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very smoky and rich. I enjoyed this a great deal.

Tin note is medium English.

Smoke is thick and dense, and like all Sutliff easy to manage.

Nothing spectacular, just a good all-round English blend.

KCWGG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KCWGG (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I will preface this review by saying that I am not a regular English smoker. I tend to lean more towards flake and VA/Per blends. Fieldmaster was the first English tobacco that I had ever smoked, and I loved it. I have tried several English blends since and still find myself coming back to this one when I want a good English. The balance between the Latakia and Orientals is perfect. The Virginias give a nice rich sweetness and Orientals give a great light floral flavor. Absolutely no bite, smokes cool and in my experience needed no preparation such as drying, etc. I highly recommend this blend for anyone looking for a good, rich English.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (110)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very tasty, mild-to-medium, complex blend. Components come together well, with Latakia predominant on the inhale. A nice spiciness noted on the retrohale. In the second half, the base tobaccos increase somewahat in strength. Nice Sutliff blend, without much of the cloying vanilla/rum topping flavor. 3+.

Pipe Used: Italian Basket 35+ years old, MM

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: CI

riddlefiddle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riddlefiddle (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I'm new to English blends. All I can say is wow what a good blend. Its full of nutty smoky goodness. I'm torn between this blend and the Berkshire blend.

Marker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marker (10)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Prepared this blend in a rock cob. No idea if it ghosts a briar or cob. Normal preparation with packing the bowl in the morning and smoking it a couple hours later.

Excellent latakia and Virginia blend. As another reviewer said, great entry into latakia for those who don't want to hit the lat scene at full tilt. Great balance of the flavors. I didn't get any pronounced Turkish in the blend. The burley also hid in the back providing help with the burn without adding aromatic qualities.

This is an excellent tobacco for those who want latakaia but not a strong dose. I could smoke this most of the day without issue and feel satisfied.

jfox520 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jfox520 (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

The tin note might put off some smokers new to Latakia. As it has a very smoky aroma. The charring light has rich sweetness from the Matured Virgins. On the true light the flavors blended together well. The Latakia was present but subtle. This would be a great tobacco for a smoker just starting to explore English, Turkish and Latakia blends. Also this would be a great all day smoke for the experienced smoker. I would highly recommend picking up a tin.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

A very good blend for the summer months, enough taste to satisfy, but not too much to overwhelm. This blend lights well and burns dry to the end of the bowl. Does not require too many re-lights. A lighter English blend with just the right amount of Latakia. Sure to be a regular.

Hammer59 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hammer59 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Upon opening this tobacco was not too wet or dry. Lit well and stayed lit for the entire bowl. Not a latakia bomb but I found it to be very enjoyable. Got some sweetness about half way down the bowl. This to me is a very nice blend and will be smoking more of this one.