Blended ByMcClelland
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringRaspberry, Rum, Vanilla
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Full

3.2
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking Ringlow Syrian Reserve on and off for the past year with mixed feelings about it. It is mild, very mild. I find most McClellend English's on mild side when it comes to Lady N, and Syrian Reserve is even mild by those standards. I generally want more of a punch than this blend offers. Also like many McClelland English blends, it takes a very long time to dry, something I really dislike. On the upside, RSR is very smooth and balanced. I think it could be an all day blend for many folks. The quality of the tobacco is high and the Orientals and Latakia really play together well. I detect only a hint of sweetness here. Lovers of mild English blends that still have an ample amount of Latakia will be pleased by RSR. Recommended.

Update: I was lucky enough to obtain several tins of the Levin era of this blend (which is not listed under Levin International BTW), and it is fantastic. If a rare tin pops up, it is worth the extra money. Four stars all the way.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)

I have smoked a full tin of RSR and my first impression of it is that it burns smooth and mild with no bite. But I have to agree with “Mr. Big” below, something doesn’t agree with me in this blend. It leaves my mouth dry and there is no sweetness even though the tin is aged. I get the opposite of that with some bitterness. I don’t dislike this blend enough to give up on it as there are more tins in our cellar. But I won’t be opening another any time soon.

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice balance between the Latakia and Orientals but I don't find much sweetness from the Virginia. Smooth , no bite or spice, mild and could be an all day smoke, however, I don't find this very complex. Kind of Blah, I don't know why I would crave this. I'm not a fan of the particular Orientals in this blend , has a strange flavor to me. Also, hard to light and stay lit. 3 Oaks Syrian much better and no "funky" taste!

Updated 7/16/12, After a year in the cellar ,I went to finish up this tin, somewhat improved. My initial reaction was ," there is that strange Oriental ( Syrian?)", but as I smoked this all day I acually found it interesting. Still won't buy again. FYI,was smoking this back to back with Rattrays Black Mallory, this is similar ( don't know if I was getting some pipe ghosting) but this is much smoother. 2 1/2 stars

jds669 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jds669 (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first tobacco I bought when deciding to smoke a pipe. So far, it is my favorite and I smoke it every evening.

Smooth with no bite.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

A very excellent blend from McClelland, very smooth and complex, just makes a near perfect smoke right out of the tin. It packs effortlessly, stays lit quite well and does not get moist or too hot. I find it the best when paired with my Savinelli Prince. I will be buying much more of this blend.

As I smoke it more, it is even outpacing my normal fav, Three Oaks Syrian. It is just so robust and pleasant to smoke, its an ease and joy to keep it going, no tongue-bite at all. Again, highly reccomended.

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is an incredible blend! To my tastes, this is London Broil! I never had the original but I wish I had! A perfect afterdinner smoke. Another home run by McClelland.