Rich, deep, contemplative... Ripe red virginias, fine orientals, smokey Cyprus Latakia, and a pinch of Acadian perique are pressed and matured in cakes before being sliced. The sophisticated flavors and exotic aroma provide a wonderful backdrop for quiet moments of reflection, a good book, and if you are so inclined, perhaps a wee dram.

Notes: Quiet Nights was introduced in May, 2010.

BrandG. L. Pease

3.4
Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My new favorite Pease blend. I am blown away by the savory, smooth, dense, intricate layers of bright, incense-laden richness, perfectly accentuated and elevated by the significant, smoky, consistent latakia presence. The result is a lush, comforting "potpourri bouquet" of rich, billowy, intoxicating, salty-sweet smoke from the harmonius interplay, a collage of middle eastern delights. Oddly I detect no perique here. Close enough to Penzance for me in some ways, yet sweeter, a bit less complex, and much bigger, with a much healthier dose of latakia. This is perhaps what I imagine I'd bring back in a time machine, were I to go back 400 years for a sample of early latakia-heavy blends being smoked in various regions of the Persian empire.

In my mind, this offering represents Pease's most effective and flavorful current use of orientals to get a truly unique and special result that is quite unlike the vast majority of his other current offerings. It fills a significant slot in my rotation left by the absence of Penzance, not as a replacement but as an equally good or even better substitute that is quite different and desirabe on its own attributes. Greatly benefits from a careful rubbing out and some brief drying time, as well as a very light packing in the bowl. It will then light and burn quite easily and thoroughly, with no bite, no gurgle or dampness, and no relights needed so long as one applies a gentle occasional tamping.

Smoking this just prior to Abingdon or Dunhill's new Night Cap made those tobaccos almost seem dull, flat, monochromatic and even slightly stale, which they certainly are not on their own accord.

Quiet Nights is a very flavorful and appealing old world mixture you won't soon forget.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

So far, all of the GLP blends I have smoked have benefitted from in-the-tin aging, and most have also improved with some "breathing" time in a jar after the tin is opened. Though my present smoking sample of QN aged 3 years before I got to it, another two months in a jar transformed it from an acceptable medium/full English to an excellent full Balkan, suitable for my largest pipes. Here's how it played out for me:

When the tin is first popped, and when smoked immediately thereafter, QN seems like a decent, subdued, Lat-forward medium/full English (like we need another one!), with hardly a trace of Perique. Within two hours, the tin note gets a good deal sharper, almost too rough, and my next few smokes followed suit. To cut to the chase, after a couple of weeks in a jar, QN starts to come into its own, developing a deep, pungent Balkan profile in the jar and when it's smoked. Now the rich and smooth Latakia is perfectly matched by the dominant Turkish and Orientals and a soft brush of Perique. The VAs used could not be better, stout, semi-sweet and flavorful, they easily hold their own in this heady, hearty blend, from beginning to end. Now the lot is a complex, interesting mix of smoky, sour, bitter, salty and sweet, with an array of exotic spices, resin-y incenses and (go figure...) tasty creosote, and clouds of telltale blue-gray smoke echo the tastes. Though there is not as much "interplay" as some other GLP blends feature, the primary and secondary tastes, textures and aromas are good enough that nobody is going to miss anything. Near the end of a bowl the VAs rise up just a little, and in the end the softer aftermath aftertaste fades too quickly. Strength is medium. Room note? Beware Turkish tobacco. I think the moisture level is fairly important with QN. IMO, it is best smoked a little bit drier than it comes in the tin; but don't let it dry out. The flakes break up easily, and before I even want them to. I like to load "ribbons" and smaller chunks very loosely into my largest pipes. At the "correct" moisture level, it takes some persistence to light QN, but it burns all right for me once it's well lit.

Over a couple of months, Quiet Nights has gone from a 2.8 to a 2.4 to a 4 in my book, and I guess I'll have to add it to my growing Favorites list now, as well. I highly recommend it first to full Balkan lovers, and next to full English lovers, provided they can handle stout VAs and substantial, zesty, tobacco-forward main themes and overtones. Again, do let it rest for at least a couple of weeks before you evaluate it. QN = Quite Nice.

Update: I need to add that the (minimum) 2 weeks "rest" period for this tobacco does not start until the flakes are broken up. Because of this I now rub out the flakes and then carefully re-blend them before jarring them, in order to get the entire blend in successive bowls. I then "visit" the resting tobacco every couple of days, shaking it up and taking the lid off the jar, sniffing, waiting for the primary incense/Latakia smell to abate compared to the Turkish and the sharper VAs. PITA? You might say so; but IMO the results are well worth the extra effort. Tripjoker did a great job of laying all of this out in generic terms at the top of his popular review of GLP's Fillmore (qv).

Pipe Used: various briars; large bowls preferred

Age When Smoked: 3 years (and 2 months)

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Very complex. At first light all four components are readily discernible. A little further in and the Orientals and Perique melded together to create a nice sour spice with the Latakia and Virginias still discernible. Still further in and the Latakia melded into the Orientals and Perique giving depth to the sour spiciness. At this point there is the deep sour spiciness with the Virginias the only other discernible flavor. At about the 3/4 point the Virginias melded into the others creating one delicious flavor. The melding of the Virginias muted the sourness by half and the spiciness only slightly. The bowl finished shortly after that. I know that's all a bit confusing, but that's how it smoked for me. Probably the most complex blend I ever put in a pipe. It also demanded all my attention. I was unable to concentrate on anything else. No book reading for me while smoking this. A very enjoyable blend. Rich and satisfying.

Pipe Used: MM General, Jobey Lovat

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I could not obtain any Penzance but decided to try this blend upon reading many reviews saying it was very similar. I find it to be a delicious and very tasty smoke. I first tried it in a good smoking Barling pre-transition so I am confident of the pipe in the smoking equation. It has a tin aroma unlike any English style tobaccos, rather sweet and smokey. Pleasant. After the first third of a bowl, it has a nice nutty, toasty wood like aroma. It tastes a lot like Virginia/Perique blend. A bit more Latakia than penzance and a bit rougher. I like it a great deal and am looking forward to comparing it to Penzance if I can ever find some. Highly recommended.

I finally obtained some Penzance and I do prefer Quiet Nights to Penzance. Both are very good smokes - just a personal preference.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

FUN WITH C&D SAMPLES, Vol III, No. 2

Ok, this is a Pease blend rather than a C&D blend, but I bought a 1 oz sample as part of a C&D sampler pack. This blend was probably aged all of about 5 days before I fired it up, including the shipping time.

To those who proclaim one oz insufficient to rate a tobacco, this one is a strong case for the defense. I found this to be as refined as anything I've ever smoked, and an exceptionally flavorful dark-colored pressed broken flake. Every tobacco in this blend played its part masterfully. The latakia was not of the "sharp" variety that I find in Sobranie or Dunhill 965 but it's far from subdued. The orientals play their dancing game and the virginias are around for sweetness and body. The perique isn't so much tasted as it is "felt"... which I found to be the perfect finish. It lends a mild tweak to the blend that elevates it to a higher plane. This is a smooth, bite-free blend that is spicy and sweet, and it's another similarly-styled blend that out-Nightcaps Nightcap for me. Last year, I became excited about Pipeworks & Wilke's #400 and I find this in a similar vein, but I prefer this one. I also waxed rhapsodasically over GLP's Meridian, and I think that at most times of day, I'd prefer this one to that! It appears to me that Greg Pease is improving his craft over time.

One weird anomaly with this one - the room note. I love the smell of burning latakia, virginia, perique and orientals. This one smelled obnoxiously bad. And it hung in the air in my "man-cave" like a cigar would. I don't plan to smoke this around people and, while I have no idea what causes this issue, it doesn't factor into the vast number of tins I intend to buy.

If you like your latakia prominent but not overpowering and you like a hugely complex blend that's like Thanksgiving dinner with all the different flavors, this one is for you. If you like this but want to dial everything down a bit, go with Meridian.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was surprised at the sweetness of the blend, which is mostly all natural, chiefly springing from the sweet, slightly tangy red Virginia. The latakia is smokey sweet with a slight woodsy note. The perique is light, but adds a here and there spice hit that offers a little complexity. Orientals and Turkish provide a woodsy push to elevate the body of the blend. None of the components drown each other out, providing a well composed all day smoke if you wish it to be. Burns perfectly well and even with no moisture at a moderate rate. One of the richest tasting all day smokes around.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: April 2010.

Tin Aroma: Leather for sure. Grilled meat. Faint barbeque. Burning stuff. Excellent! ?Flavor: This is the most audacious blend yet from the brilliant mind of Greg Pease. Everything about this blend shouts out loud. It reminds me of a huge, unruly cabernet sauvignon that needs ten years in the bottle before it's allowed to come out and play. There is no way you'll forget that there's a pipe in your pie hole if you're burning Quiet Nights. And like our big tannic cab, I'm convinced that time in the tin (or jar) will turn this excellent weed into something magnificent.

On the lat-bomb scale, this one is up there with SG Commonwealth which is 50% Latakia. Don't know how much is in Quiet Nights, but judging from flavor alone there's plenty of the Cyprian weed present. But not too much. Therein lies the magic.

The Orientals and Virginias are noticeably there, playing their own parts admirably. The flavor progresses continuously as the bowl progresses, getting stronger and richer. I recommend swabbing out the moisture fastidiously with pipe cleaners during the smoke, as the muck can add unfavorable flavors to an already strongly flavored blend.

If I have any complaint at all about this blend, it's the name. This does not make me want to spend a quiet night at home. These are the kinds of flavors that seem well suited for a night in the pub with a single malt scotch and loud, laughing conversation. And some live blues. Heavy on the Keeley Mod Tube Screamer. An easy four stars in the opinion of this Lat hound.

krischai Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krischai (1)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I loved this pipe tobacco especially for those quit moments in the evening or at night with a good cup of coffee and an alcohol of your choice. The flavor for me was great and it saddens me that not a lot of people reviewed this tobacco because it is just sooooooo damn good. Seriously Pease has really out done himself with this tobacco that makes me want more of it.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Overwhelming

I've no idea what Cornell and Diehl are doing or not doing. This might as well be some very young Burley pressed with a bit of Latakia and that's it; total garbage. I sure hope Greg buys the occasional tin anonymously to see what the heck is going on, if he smoked this he'd likely loose his cookies.

Yes, another dud from Pease. I've pretty much closed the book on Pease, his blends or producers (maybe both) are not to my liking at all. Some folks adore Chinese cuisine, others Japanese, yet others Korean, so it goes for blenders as well.

An 18 month old tin with an inviting and pleasant opening note and a simply awful room note; cigar butts left in the ashtray for too long. My better-half rarely complains regarding my choices wafting from the pipe loft, she especially enjoys Old Limey Bastard which reminds her of camping. Nearing the end of this past evenings combustion she insisted that I conclude with a large bowl of Lane BCA. I tend to agree the room note is rather rancid.

A nice white ash and it behaved exceedingly well in my recently retorted Upshall. Alas in the bowl the flavours were monotone and dull. I was hoping for things to get underway and develop, it never happened sour and at times bitter. The Orientals are mute are there any contained within . . . hmm, maybe the description alludes to Eastward orientation while combusting.

Since this will be my one and only tin which is going into the compost bin, I cannot recommend it.

For those seeking something similar to Penzance, you certainly won't find it here. Plum Pudding is closer far closer, by a county mile. I wholeheartedly recommend Plum Pudding by Joe Langford or York Mixture by Max Engel; money, time, and experiences well spent.

psadair Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
psadair (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

I just can't seem to choose between this, Lancer Slices, and Nightcap as my #1 tobacco.

With Quiet Nights, Mr Pease has concocted the most full bodied, complex, delicious tobacco I have ever tried. After blazing through two full tins I can say with assurance that this product is a bar setter in the world of English blends.

Smoky apricots, grapes, meat, and sweet earth mingle in rich, thick smoke from alpha to omega.

This is a smoke you can puff like a freight train with no ill effects to the tongue.

Not as strong as Nightcap, but fuller in flavor.

I absolutely adore this tobacco. I might order enough to fill up my garden tub so I may frolic about in it like a giddy simpleton.

Outstanding.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Finally, my local B&M stocked up on some GL Pease blends. After looking at the same old Peterson crap tins that have been sitting there for ages, it was nice to see they got some quality blends. They stocked up. Quiet Nights is one Pease blend I've never had the pleasure of having before. I picked it right up with the hopes of keeping it a while. It is well documented that I prefer tins with considerable age but I opened the tin anyway. Quiet Nights was memorable without the age.

Broken flake, shards of loosely grouped Virginia and Orientals and some black Cyprian leaf and perique. Big bowls are the ticket here. Absolutely marvelous in the evening. Maybe his own "Nightcap"? Not near as strong but full nonetheless. It has a nice room note, but tends to linger. The virginias and orientals are the main components. A strong emphasis on orientals give it that certain depth and taste that is both reflective and resounding. The latakia and perique are in the background. Just enough to remind you of the deliberate hand of a masterblender. I love it. I really do. This is a blend with nice complexity, if that's your thing. This is a serious pipeman's blend. Enjoy.

Mr. Pease has this guy looking forward to growing old and cracking tins of Pease blends for the rest of my life. All are improved with age. The quality of his blends along with the quantity that he has produced leave me confident his blends this great aren't going anywhere, no matter what happens to our beloved hobby in the next few decades. There is always Ebay, but I'll just keep cellaring these beauties for my golden years. And do I look forward to those years now! Thank you, Greg!

P.S. Better than Penzance, but different.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

As to this particular blend I found it's taste to be muddled and extremely difficult to keep lit (I smoke mostly flakes so that's not the problem and additional drying was not helpful.)The tin aroma is heavy, somewhat pungent and that's o.k. because many such aromas lead to a fine smoke, but not this one. I have never said this about any pipe tobacco but this one smells foul in the air (I smoke a lot of latakias so that's not the problem.) The sour taste and tingling coated on my tongue will not be quickly forgotten, this element of the experience leaves me quite perplexed.

I was hesitant to leave this review but then reflected on the purpose of this site. We must each honestly give our opinions in a polite manner and possibly provide blenders with feedback they would not ordinarily receive.

Maybe it was just my tin, maybe not.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A fine tobacco, smoky campfire Latakia takes the show but it is well balanced by the Orientals. Some "wine like " Virginia sweetness and Perique is a no show. Creamy with some spicy heat (I believe this would mellow with some age and drying). Not a real sweet smoke but sweeter than Odyssey ,more earthy maybe a touch of fruit. I find this in the same mode as Odyssey, heavy Latakia but creamier and more Orientals. This blend is kind of caught in the middle, not real sweet not too dry, but a full latakia blast and very flavorful. Another thought:

A very a strange burning tobacco, first, it took 4 charring lights to get it going, then it just smoldered, never going out for an hour, which is fine. I believe you have to smoke this slow to releases all the great flavor and so it doesn't get bitter. When I mean slow, I mean where you can't see the smoke, you can only taste it. I wouldn't want to smoke this in a big bowl as my teeth wouldn't take holding the pipe for 3 hours ! Do allow some "Quiet" time for enjoying this smoke. A solid 4 stars , quality tobacco , I think I like this better than Odyssey as the orientals play more.

updated 12/6/12Just a quick comparison of Pease Blends: Haddo's Delight- whiskey topped , light smokey, fruity (2), Chelsea Morning- Light latakia, fruity (4), Meridian- Medium Latakia, creamy bacon Oriental flavor (4), Lagonda-Medium Latakia- Campfire flavor, light Oriental (2), Quite Nights- Heavy Latakia- Campfire flavor with Creamy Orientals (4), Odyssey- Heavy Latakia- Campfire flavor dominates , light orientals(3), I would say all of these are 3 & 4 star blends, the numbers (#"s)after the blend indicate my personal preferences when compared to each other and "only" these 6 blends

Updated 5/7/13 I wanted to revisit my review because of a few thoughts and I noticed the two reviews just above mine. Coincidently the reviewers were addressing the very issues I wanted to address. First , I've found that you have to further rub out and allow some drying/breathing time with QN or else it is hard to light and keep lit. Consequently you would have to stoke this tobacco and it turns bitter. Secondly, I wanted to say that this tobacco is very similar in flavor to Penzanze. But unlike Penzanze, that requires very little drying or rubbing ( or it will turn to dust) this does.

Former 965 Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Former 965 Fan (7)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin dated 010912 and flavour significantly opened up after about six weeks air. Soft slightly broken flake presentation was easy to fill and goldilocks burning characteristics (no re-lights but not too quick either). A delightful mixture evoking campfire notes balanced with fruity notes (blackcurrent/blackberry) on the absolute border of medium and medium/strong. Highly recommended for smoking anytime and I will certainly order again - only a small lack of nicotine strength keeps it out of my all time top five. I have never tried Penzance so I can not comment on that but this style of English Mixture with Perique has been around awhile - Dunhill My Mixture 73 (the numbers were chronological and eventually exceeded 30,000 so this was some way back in the early years of the last century) was a stronger version and was the probable Grandfather of Nightcap. Quiet Nights is a masterly re- working of this theme and with its slightly sweet taste and darker flavour is the Greg Pease Mixture perhaps most reminiscent of the Dunhill house style but very much its own tobacco. Just a really great smoke!

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Great minds think alike? When i first opened the tin, i thought this looks and smells alot like penzance (although not as strong or mottled). After smoking the first bowl my impressions were that it was very similar, yet a few key differences. The lat is stronger in GLP's and the orientals a lot more subdued. A resulting lack of sweetness thus occurs. The one thing that is better in this blend is that it has twice the nicotine that penzance has (the only flaw i could find with penzance is that it's a bit light on, for nicotine).

I came on here and scanned the reviews and low and behold, i am not crazy. Quite a few others have thought the same thing.

Is this a copy/homage of penzance? Yes and no. I feel that Penzance is clearly where this started but Greg has put his own bias on it. It seems to me to be way too similar to suggest coincidence or happenstance. Do i like the changes that Greg has put into the equation? Yes and no again. But.....that's just my opinion. You may love it. So if you like penzance (or cant get hold of any) then give it a try.

As always with GLP products, first rate tobacco is used.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I had originally intended to wait till I was smoking this one to write a review simultaneously, but alas I keep forgetting, so while I'm writing reviews, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls will have to suffice. This was an interesting one to me. The first time I tried it was last summer while taking a tour of the C&D warehouse. I was smoking on an empty stomach and puffing away like a chimney, so it kicked my butt and I didn't get a very solid grasp of the flavor profile. But I have since acquired a tin and smoked about half of it. My opinions have changed a bit from what they were this summer. I find this English/Balkan flake to be quite interesting, especially in contrast with Chelsea Morning. From what I had read I was expecting them to be a bit more similar then I found these two first blends from the Old London Series. Focusing on Quiet Nights I found it to be a blend much more Latakia influenced than Chelsea Morning. While I found the VA to be dominant in Chelsea Morning, it was much more subdued in this blend, I mostly find that it complements the perique which for me seems to be making a much bolder appearance on the palate. I find this to be a dark and spicy provocative flake with a smoky heavy latakia flavor complemented by the peppery perique with a touch of sweetness from the VA and Orientals. I must confess it did not remind me of Chelsea Morning at all, but rather of another balkan blend of the Pease collection, it's one of my favorites, but I'll leave that for you to experiment with, I highly recommend this one though and I think that it is worth smoking in comparison with other Balkans from Pease!

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

I was gifted two tins of Quiet Nights for Christmas and have just finished a tin. The tin had four months of "age" when I opened it. My first couple of pipe bowls did not overly impress me and I was somewhat disappointed that the taste and mouth feel were not as full on my palate as I had anticipated. However, as the mixture "breathed" for a few days, the fullness began to manifest and only got better each day. Mr. Pease is exactly right in that the blend provides a wonderful backdrop to a good book and quiet moments of reflection. I've been reading "The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah" by Alfred Edersheim; the author published this very lengthy study in the late 19th century and it is quite a complicated read. The one drawback to smoking Quiet Nights while reading this book is that often I found myself drifting into the flavor and nuances of the smoke rather than focusing on Mr. Edersheim's study. The room note is pretty strong and lingered in my study for hours... fortunately I'm about the only person that enters my study and I happen to love the aroma of "strong" tobacco (my wife does not much care for the aroma but has not commented, bless her). I have found Quiet Nights to be exactly as Mr. Pease describes: "rich, deep, contemplative" and I definitely hope to purchase a few tins of this to cellar. I would note as well that those pipes that gave Quiet Nights the fullest flavor were those with deep wide bowls, of about a large size four or small five; in none of these did I experience a bitter ending. The pipe it was most flavorful in was an ancient Peterson "system" 314; for some reason all of Quiet Nights' attributes really manifested themselves in that pipe.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

Coming off of a Balkan binge, Quiet Nights at first smoke seemed flat. I missed that overwhelming Turkish overload that dominated smokes like Charring Cross and Bill Bailey's Balkan, and swore that the blend was missing something, going so far as to apply an extra bit of Smyrna in hopes of evening the blend out. That, of course, was unnecessary, and my palate quickly adapted. I suppose that I can be finicky when smoking a blend for the first time, full of expectations and curious about the impressions of others.

In that vein, I've wondered why Quiet Nights has been so "quiet" on Tobacco Reviews, as people have comparatively registered a great many more appraisals of Chelsea Morning. I say this because I expected Quiet Nights to be the showcase in the Old London series--a Pease Nightcap killer. It's been so long since I've smoked Dunhill that I honestly forgot the blend, and having recently acquired some of the new stuff, found myself underwhelmed. The new Nightcap seemed weak, and lighter on the Latakia than I remember, however hazy those old impressions. But that overwhelming strength I was seeking doesn't exist here, as well.

Quiet Nights is certainly a full blend, but nothing that will knock you out, which is probably a good thing for most smokers. It's a rare English in flake form, a beautiful blend in the tin, with broken, soft, thick flakes. The Latakia is far more plentiful than the new Nightcap, and the blend registers a deeper sweetness as well with a contained Perique element, similar to Nightcap. They share attributes, but their differences are greater than some other blend comparisons that can be made.

Now that Quiet Nights is finished and I have that old standby at hand again, I'm realizing that I've come to appreciate Balkans more than I had anticipated, despite my early dislike of the genre. With that, this fight to the death finally ended when the whole event burned to the ground. It was a tasty spectacle.

Four of Five.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Like every Pease tobacco's, this is a high quality one. But, at the end..... it's unsmokable: raw, crude,inelegant, boorish. And Pease is a sort of illiterate blender. This cook uses quality and tastefull ingredients, but definitly he's inapt to assemble and amalgamate the ingredients. The result is......raw. Sorry Pease, you are discharged. You can smoke a Pease's blend a time a week.....and is very good. You smoke a Pease's blend two time a week.....and is goog. You smoke a Pease's blend a time in a day.....and is unpleasant. you smoke a Pease's blend all the day....and is nauseating. So.....if you are looking for an occasional good tobacco: try it. But if you are looking for a trusty partner....jump out !

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I guess I'm in a different crowd than many here who compare Quiet Nights to Penzance. While Penzance is mild in strength, this one will jump up and give you a Nic hit. Also, Penzance doesn't even come close to the Latakia flavor Quiet Nights projects. Both do have a very noticiable Oriental presence though.

Quiet Nights is not subtle in any way, shape or form. It's on the bold side and quite tasty as the layers of flavors are unrelenting. No real sweetness, just a bold "all tobacco" flavor that satisfied my palate in a big way. Another Pease bellringer right here, folks.

hufflepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hufflepuff (8)

This is a tremendous smoke! Think Chelsea morning but a bit darker, more earthy/musty, with a touch more latakia tang and you have Quiet Nights. I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about this blend yet since Chelsea Morning seems to be such a hit. I rubbed the broken flakes out and let them dry so it ended up looking much like the cut of Chelsea Morning. The start of the smoke isn't mind blowing, neither is Chelsea Morning, but once it gets settled down this blend becomes magical. I notice roughly the same amount of perique as in CM, which is just right by my tastes. It gains a bit of strength toward the end of the bowl but never becomes bitter or harsh. Funny thing, it sort of reminds me of Key Largo at the half way point of a bowl minus the cigar leaf. If you like Key Largo you will probably like this also. It's rich and full of great flavor without being too much of a good thing. The only aspect that is found in Chelsea Morning that I miss here is the sweetness of the Virginia leaf, which doesn't come through as much. But that isn't the point of this blend so I can't find fault with it. Quiet Nights is meant to be richer and enjoyed after a hearty dinner which I find it perfect for. This is a great second edition to the Old London line and fits beautifully in with Chelsea Morning. 4 stars!

dhbillings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dhbillings (9)

So recently I picked up a tin of G.L. Pease's new blend from his Old London Series: Quiet Nights. I love the first blend in this series (Chelsea Morning), so I figured I would give this one a go even though I have had trouble with flake tobaccos and also blends containing perique.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with the scent of leather and campfire - with a bit of sweetness in the mix - and an array of dark browns mottled with the occasional bright tan streak. The flakes were already starting to fall apart, yet the tin humidity was at a good level and the flakes were not crumbling as dry flakes do. My only guess as to why they were falling apart so easily is that the cakes were not pressed for an extended period of time before being cut into flakes. Anywhoo....

As I have had trouble with flakes (as many pipe smokers do), I decided to rub some flakes out. This proved to be exceptionally easy to do - even with one hand rubbing the tobacco out into a pouch. The consistency of the rubbed out flake was quite similar to that of Chelsea Morning: wide strips not unlike a ribbon cut. These strips loaded easily into my meerschaum and, once packed, also lit easily.

The first things noticed in this blend are the Latakia and the Perique: very smoky and very spicy. Neither are overpowering, though, thanks to the interplay of the Orientals and the Red Virginias. These help refine the blend and mellow out what would otherwise be a ridiculously strong smoke. The end result is a bold new blend that is both smoky and spicy, yet smooth and mellow. And on top of everything else it burns easily to the bottom of the bowl, leaving nothing but fine ash.

Greg Pease recently posted on his blog how creating a new blend is a lot like a balancing act between different tobaccos, and in The Old London Series I really get that feeling. The actual differences between Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights are small - they are both composed of Virginias, Latakia, Orientals, and Perique - and yet in as many ways as they are similar they are also vastly different. Chelsea Morning goes best with black coffee whereas Quiet Nights seems to be complimented best by an evening cup of tea. Still, Quiet Nights is a superb blend that will in no way stand in the shadow of its predecessor.

Renar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Renar (1)

Making conclusion basing on one tin - is very pre-mature. I have about 50 kilos of different tobaccos in my cellar, most of them are with Latakia. From this quantity I have 2 kilos of Quiet Night for aging. This is one of the best tobaccos I ever tried. Nice, sweet, strong with layers of delicate tastes... Only Gaslight is better. So yes, this is number two. To be number two from about 180 competitors - not bad, right?

Pipe Used: Many different

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Wow this blend has rekindled my love for latakia. I was expecting a typical English blend but was pleasantly surprised to find this to be a latikia lovers dream. Very smokey with hints of leather and woods. GL pease hit the mark on this one. I will say its best to open this one and let it sit for a couple of weeks. It is definitely better. Im interested to try some more of his English blends to see how they stack up against this one.

Pipe Used: Beckler Meerschaum

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Very, very good...wish this was offered in bulk...Tins are a bit pricey for those of us who are retired and on a fixed income...Would make daily rotation otherwise...Will certainly when I can afford.

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I am not sure why some are knocking this. I guess tastes are different. This has quickly risen to the top of my list of all time favorite tobaccos, and is currently my favorite of the GL Pease blends. The Latakia is very forward in this, but it does not bite, and is balanced with some spiciness from the Perique and a touch of Virginia sweetness. The smoke is luxurious and creamy. I see some comparisons to Penzance, but I do not think they resemble each other at all, and I like this MUCH better than Penzance. This is best in my big Italian pipes (Caminetto, Castello, Ser Jacopo). I could smoke this tobacco all day.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

I really want to give this 2/4, but compared to a lot of blends out there, I think I still have to give it a 3/4. Pease just makes great stuff. That being said, I think this is my least favorite of his blends I've had. (I've had about six I believe.) Something just feels totally out of balance about this blend, which is unusual for Pease. But hey, he has to have something out there for everyone's tastes, right?

I don't really detect the Perique that is in here that well, and I don't feel there is enough VA in here. However, even that being the case, I also don't feel like it's a lat-bomb. It's a pretty confusing blend. I like being surprised and not know what to expect but not with this blend. It just doesn't work too well for me.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Medium None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

A beautiful broken flake that Smokes cool, slow and dry with Rich layers of explosive flavor from charring light to the bottom of the bowl. Rich and delicious. Smooth, smokey, complex and as satisfying and complimentary as an upper tier 30 year old single malt Scotch after a great meal. A wonderful dose of viatamin "N". At 4 month of age, I"feel" this one as its sublime flavors and hypnotizing aroma envelope me. A perfect evening, last bowl of the day offering that bitch slaps the stresses of the day into the abyss. A truly sedative and tranquility inducing Masterpiece. Bravo Mr. Peace!

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

I'm a big fan of G.L.Pease's Old London series to which QN is the latest addition. First, I love the broken flake format for these English/Balkan blends. The broken flakes smoke slowly and cool. Second, QN is similar to the other two offerings except that the Perique is somewhat noticeable and the Latakia is somewhat more prominent. As the tin recommends, a Wee Dram is a good companion for QN. In all, QN is a fine Pease offering and I've cellared several tins for the future.

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)

I got to enjoy this while watching the lake behind my girlfriends house as rain from Tropical Storm Don lazily poured down on the shore birds in the mesquites along its banks. A visual experience to go along with the experience in the pipe never hurts, in my opinion its just as important. I was blessed today. Out of the can the aroma of earth/dirt is pungent but is not a bad thing in my book. QN could benifit from some drying out, but I just had to try it. Latakia is the most evident flavor in the blend, followed by the virginias and a slight, very slight tinge of spicy perique. I dont have a lot of expirence with Orientals so if they were there I couldnt pick them out of the blend.Cool burning in my churchwarden and minimal bite toward the bottom of the bowl. Some gurgle, so some aging is in order. Over all a solid blend and could easily put this into my rotation. Not quite a 4, 3 1/2 if I could.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Good quality leaf as always. It's just too young to smoke at this point. Will probably age very well. Right now the tin note is very pungent with the latakia very pronounced. The room note is also very heavy. The flakes were beautiful but very moist. Had a bit of bite on this one. Cellar it and revisit in a decade. Smoke this and then try Dunhill 965. You know exactly what I mean.

Medium None Detected Full Strong

By now every time Greg Pease presents a new English mixture, everyone knows it's gonna be a masterpiece. And this one won't let you down. A Latakia powerhouse, yet incredibly well balanced, Quiet Nights stands out due to rich dark Virginias that provide a richness, sweetness and mellowness seldom found on English mixtures.

By all means, give it a try.

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Penzance? No. But good none the less with a Nicotine hit. Smoke it slow and it will reward you with flavor.

Nice blend for the English lover. in my opinion, one of the best ones from Greg Pease. Smooth and easy to smoke.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Most of the Pease blends that I have tried I haven't really enjoyed without some age on the tin. Quiet Nights is my exception. It may be unfair to Greg, but I think that many will compare this to Penzance. I find this blend to be full right from the start, yet very cool and smooth. It is a little moist right out of the tin, but only requires a short while to dry. QN packs a fair amount of nicotine so beware if that's not to your liking. For those that compare it to Penzance (I find myself somewhat in that camp), QN lacks the sweetness found in Penzance although that may develop more with age. What keeps this from being a four star blend for me is the bottom third of the bowl. To my taste it becomes less complex and more bitter. I have stashed a few tins away to see what a year or two will bring. Recommended.

PipeCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeCat (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is a star for me. So flavorful and delicious.

I find that rubbing this out and drying it well contributes greatly to a satisfying smoke. You will be rewarded with a bowl that is full of flavors I have yet to experience while smoking my pipe.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great full bodied latakia blend that would be excellent on a winter evening. The name of the blend is appropriate. The blend reminds me of Penzance in flavor and cut. Had a slight problem keeping it lit but when it got going, it burned well leaving a nice white ash. I will continue on with this blend and continue the revieew as I get through the tin.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

I'm not sure if it was Greg's intention, but Quiet Nights early on reminds me of Penzance, both in its tin note and in the bowl. Quickly, however, the familiar mild earthiness disappears and the blend gains weight and bitterness, without balancing sweetness and richness. I typically enjoy a good dose of Latakia, but where's the nuance in this one? To my palate, QN is ponderous and lacks the complexity of Pease's other English and Balkan mixtures, where the other constituent ingredients shine through the dense smokiness.

Apparently, the "Old London" series is not my cup of tea, either. I thought Chelsea Morning could use a dash more Latakia and a pinch less perique, but alas, I should watch what I wish for. Frankly, I prefer Greg's "older" blends from the Original and Classic collections best. If you enjoy more strident English mixtures, you'll probably like this one. Me? I'll pass.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another great addition to the GLP line of English. This is a bold mixture and the flavor is great. I love the way it stays with me even when I have finished a bowl. This will be another Hugh hit. Gotta try his one..

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)

I like Chelsea Morning. I imagine a lot of reviews will start out this way... But I will try to leave that remark as my only comparision, to be fair to both blends.

I am normally a McClelland smoker, so I am pleased G.L. Pease is getting this old London Series going so well. I was very eager to get my hands and taste buds on this blend. I think the first 3 words say it all, it is rich, it is deep, I will enjoy it best when I want to take some extra time to be contemplative while smoking it. Its cut is wondrous, it was ready to smoke well right out of the tin, and it burned exceptionally well. I find the taste is stronger than I expected, but in a robust and enticing way. The nicotine seems stronger as well, but part of that impression might be that this was a quick what's it about review oriented smoke. I hope to update this more after a few more bowls, but wanted to share that I 100% believe this is will prove to be a top notch smoking blend.

=Update= I still like this one alot, but the cut is causing me to have difficulties packing a pipe that can stay lit or burn all the way down. I still enjoy it, but I must admit, frustration is setting in, but that is more due to my own need to get better at dealing with the cut.

=Edit= I am lowered my review to 3 stars, I just have no been able to recreate the feelings of the first 2 bowls since then, I find it overly bitter at times, although I am getting better at packing it. I still have hope that the tin I left to age will prove to be magic, but I am not ready to give it a 4 star rating yet.