A deep brown coarse cut cavendish with some black. A very prominant buttered-vanilla pouch aroma.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
FlavoringCream, Vanilla
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Strong
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium

3.1
JoeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeMan (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

I've been smoking Vanilla Custard for nearly 2 years now. It's not just a crowd pleaser...this is some ridiculously good stuff, and is a go-to aromatic for me. The tin note is amazingly creamy vanilla, and it does not disappoint in the pipe. To say this has the aroma and taste of cookie dough or cake would be accurate. If you like sweet flavorful aromatics which smell and taste like dessert, you don't want to miss this one.

Pipe Used: Grabow, Wally Frank, Alpha, Peterson

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my favourite aromatic so far. It is rich - the bag smell was eggy custard, with rich vanilla. Smoke tastes the way it smelled - sweet, rich, dessert. Great for after dinner, late night smoke. Left a white ash, no dottle, and barely a smokey leftover taste in the mouth. No need to brush after this one! Also nice thick smoke.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum pride

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars online

pacman357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pacman357 (15)
Very Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I have to admit, vanilla isn't (by itself) a flavor I normally care for in an aromatic. Many are either too one-note, boring, or chemical-tasting for my taste. Some suffer a combination of two traits or even all three. However, since I sell this stuff, I figured I better try some to be able to (somewhat) intelligently discuss it with customers. To my surprise, the custard aspect really elevates this beyond just another run-of-the-mill vanilla pipe tobacco. While I have not yet had a chance to try the Mac vanilla cream, I'm not exactly running to it after having tasted this. This is super-sweet stuff, but I have a sweet tooth, so when the mood strikes me, that isn't a problem. And while I'm sure it has PG or some agent to keep it moist, and isn't heavy enough to ruin the taste for me. It's also pretty fun to open the jar at the store, because the smell (which is quite pleasant) just swarms the room, and just about everyone who smells it has a look on his/her face like a kid having just discovered the big candy treat at the bottom of a Christmas stocking. Sure, it isn't for everyone, but I can't think of a single pipe tobacco which suits every single person. If you don't care much for aromatics, run the other way. If you do like aromatics, at least take a whiff. We only started selling this stuff about 4-5 weeks ago, and already have trouble keeping it in stock.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (11)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

My all-time favorite tobacco. An excellent all-day smoke. Yes, it's sweet, but that's why I like it. The pouch smells of rich vanilla custard, and the smoke tastes almost like Boston cream pie. Notes of chocolate come out after it is lit, and it makes for a wonderful combination. The room note is amazing! The smoke is so rich and thick, yet it burns cool even without drying. I keep at least 8 oz of this stuff around at all times, and carry a pouch with me to work on a daily basis. It is sure to please everyone who is lucky enough to be within range of your cloud as well. I have received numerous compliments from strangers while smoking on the porch of my favorite local pub. This tobacco pairs well with nutty, brown ales such as Newcastle. We all have our blends that we could smoke all day, every day: mine just happens to be cheap. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good, sweet, flavorful aromatic to keep around.

Pipe Used: Gran Castel Freehand, John Hines

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and aged 1+ months

Purchased From: Tobaccotown, Beaver, WV

jozmo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jozmo (1)
Very Mild Very Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Sweetest smelling blend I've encountered. Didn't even taste like tobacco. If you really like the smell of vanilla, this one's for you. If you like vanilla a lot, don't miss this. I'll pass however.

Pipe Used: Cob

Similar Blends: Vanilla cupcakes from the bakery..

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This blend has the same artificial chemical taste as found in the bargain brand bagged tobaccos one would find at a Walgreens. I strongly suspect this is due to the amount of humectant used.

While the vanilla flavor is present, it is not enough to overcome the artificial flavor. It can only be described as cheap flavored tobacco that has no business being sold as a premium smoke.

Smoke slow. It can bite as well.

Noobee Sweetooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noobee Sweetooth (1)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Very Pleasant

As this posts, I've only smoked for less than a year. I want sugary flavors. This is an ice creamy vanilla charged gurgly blessing for me. In the bag it's an air-freshener, that smells,... well reeks like cake batter in a very good way. I've heard people say it smells like cookies. In your choppers it tastes like very smoothe cremey vanilla. Vanilla Cubed! Like that other post says, the bag smell, and the smoke taste are different, losing the butteryness, but it IS Candy, deliciously so.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the most pronounced vanilla flavored aromatic I've tried. Wonderful taste.

Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

My review is based on a free pouch sample I received along with a recent tobacco order. I originally asked to have this blend added for review and described it as a coarse cavendish cut with some black. After fingering through the pouch I noticed a bit of ribbon and some partially broken flakes (very minimally on both counts). The first thing noticed upon opening the pouch was a very pleasing, but strong buttery-vanilla aroma. The use the term “buttery” first since that was very overwhelming, however, after lighting, there is no true butter-like flavor. There is a very prominent but pleasing vanilla taste throughout and a bit candy-like. It was very different from other vanillas I have smoked over the years. I would have preferred the buttery aspect that I noticed in the pouch aroma to translate more in the taste.

I suspect that due to the very strong, sweet-tasting vanilla, there was little hint of tobacco flavor. There was no bite throughout the entire smoke, and only a minimum of moisture/gurgle present while smoking. Surprisingly, with the very prominent vanilla casing, I expected more moisture along with a hot, bite-y smoke. As stated, there was none. There was some chemical taste as the bowl progressed along with an ammonia-like smell to the burning tobacco. This smell was most evident after putting the pipe down for a bit and smelling the wafting smoke. In spite of this, it was not much of a turn-off. As the bowl progressed it became a bit bitter, but without harshness to the mouth or throat. For those aromatic-exclusive smokers, you would be hard pressed to find a better vanilla. As such, easily a 3 star smoke. For those like myself, if you want more of a tobacco flavor in your smoke along with some cased aromatic flavoring, Mac Baren does it better with their Vanilla Cream and Honey Chocolate blends, as does Dan Pipe with their Milonga. That being the case, my personal rating for Vanilla Custard is 2 stars. For those who want a more natural tobacco experience, this one will not suit you and therefore I would not recommend this blend for that group. An on occasion smoke for me at best.