The perfect way to start a good morning. This lavish mixture of pressed Virginia Ribbon, Pressed Black Ribbon, Turkish and Latakia is sure to awaken the taste buds. Perfect for fans of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (63)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tin Notes:

Nice smokey sweet aromas of what you would call tobacco ! Good Cuts and selections of tobaccos Good Moisture content

Smoking: This is an easy smoking good tasting blend, nice and mellow. Slightly sweet flavor of the black pressed ribbon which accompanies the virginian rather well. The Latakia is a mild selection of leaf and is rather smooth not overpowering. The turkish leaf i did not notice that much but i am sure it played its roll in this blend Burns well in any pipe but i think it tasted good in corn cob and even better in a hardwood

Overall My 5 Star Rating = 3 in the evening 4 in the morning

Pipe Used: Rock Cob, Corn Cob, Clay and Briar

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A richly flavorful all day smoke. The latakia is present, but not strong and its smokiness is complemented very nicely by the sweetness of Virginias, especially the lemon Va. The Turkish is light, but adds a necessary "oomph" to the mixture. I get a hint of burley in this, too. There is a topping of some kind that mellows the blend. I give it three stars for mild English blends. Like Berkshire, it's a good starting place to beginners to latakia. If you need something stronger, this probably won't work for you, unless you want a change of pace from tobaccos like Blend #5, which is a tasty, stronger Balkan. But if you're looking for a easy to smoke English with a variety of flavors, you'll enjoy this as much as I do.

Sutliffe has been hitting the market the last couple of years with some very fine and inexpensive blends that have been well received. This is another one of their attempts at creating something worthy of a good pipe.

Sunrise Blend does not have the strength or Oriental presence of Dunhill's famous Early Morning Pipe. Additionally, this blend has a mild casing (as do other Sutliffe English blends such as #5). The combination is unique and palate pleasing. There is a bit of an edge to this blend which suggests less than top-shelf Virginia.

All in all, a nice change of pace but not a blend that I'll go back to very often.

Many thanks to Altadis and Sutliffe for their continuing efforts on behalf of the world's pipe smokers.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Tolerable

This tobacco states that is an Early Morning Pipe look a like, and so it shall be judged.

To even compare this to anything Dunhill made is an absolute travesty.

I bought a tin of this at my local pipe shop because I was in an experimental mood, and the tin description sounded promising. Yet another can of empty promises. Thanks Altadis.

Upon opening the tin I was bombarded with some strange casing that really is not appropriate in anything trying to resemble an English breakfast blend. I can not quite put my finger on it, but ketchup maybe?

The black and brown specks were sticky and dripping with sweet casing. I grabbed one of my knock around work in the yard pipes and set out to this endeavour.

The first thing that hit me was this weird sweet but almost metallic casing. I was hoping this would burn off as I progressed through the bowl, but to no avail.

I remember EMP being light, satisfying with just enough Latakia to keep things interesting. If this blend even had real Latakia in it, it was a poor quality leaf.

I also do not remember Early morning pipe biting first thing in the morning. This stuff was like a little shiatsu that would not leave your slippers alone when you got out of bed.

I made it about three quarters through the bowl before the inevitable gurgle gurgle could be heard from the bottom of my briar. Upon closer listen I could hear a sizzle and crack as the casing burned away and coated the bowl of my pipe.

I never once got any flavour that resembled a light English or any English for that matter.

I do not usually write bad reviews, but this stuff was just terrible.

I don't think I could in good concious recommend this to anyone except maybe someone who has spent his life smoking Capt. Black White, and needs something a little lighter.

Yuck!!

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an interesting blend. I am claiming the black pressed ribbon in the description is a burley-based unflavored black cavendish, and this is what gives it the mild sweet flavor and some of the burley notes other reviewers have mentioned. There may be a slight sweet topping, or the black cavendish has me thinking there is one.

I have had EMP, but it has been a while, and I did not pay a lot of attention. I am rating this on its own merits and not by comparison to EMP.

The orientals and latakia are there in the flavor profile. You notice them, but they are fairly subdued. Of the two I get a little more latakia. I can identify a bright Virginia in the mix.

The operative word here is mild. This is good, but I would like to try it with less (or none) of the "black pressed ribbon." If you are interested in a lighter Va/Black_cav with English tendencies, you should get some of this.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this on the whole to be a v pleasant, light, soft, slightly Oriental-forward smoke. What little Latakia there is was very much providing a little structure and very much in the background. The casing is there, perhaps a touch of Anise? It burned cleanly for me, not a trace of 'goopiness' that others have found. Not a cool smoke but without any real biting, and I found in large pipes it did get rather boring towards the end, but in a medium-size pipe, this was a nice relaxing smoke, although there was a lot more fluffy ash flying about than in most of the blends I've tried.

Nothing like EMP, but that's okay by me.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)

This is simply an American/English blend that while not outstanding in any way is very pleasant to puff away on. Everything about this blend could start out with the word slightly. Sunrise Smoke is slightly smokey, slightly sweet and very slightly oriental. Again it is very pleasant and while not complex, consistent and mild. You can just puff away on this all day, if you are so inclined. It burns dry, no nasty gaseous flavors from whatever mild casing has been used, not even a tingle of tongue bite from the Virginia used and it doesn't seem to ever go out until the bowl is finished. It is a fine tobacco for breaking in a pipe. A nicely formulated option from Altadis.

AStateJb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AStateJb (1)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Highly disappointed in this one. The tin aroma reminded me of Jose Cuervo. The flavor is what I would guess it would taste like if you smoked stale Cavendish out of a pipe made from Play-doh. And the room aroma is awful. I smoked half a bowl and didn't bother to relight it when it went out.

gitfiddle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gitfiddle (1)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

This blend just doesn't do it for me. The tin note is OK and the initial light gives the promise of a decent smoke...an empty promise. After about the first 1/4 of the bowl, any flavor the initial light may have hinted at is gone and I was left with an acrid cigarette taste. I don't smoke cigarettes and don't like being tricked into tasting one. Aside from the bad taste, I kept getting an odd whiff of something that I can only describe as a gunpowder smell...yuk. I really like light English tobaccos and this one makes many promises it just couldn't deliver on. Avoid this one.

E. Craig R Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
E. Craig R (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It is quite an interesting tobacco. If you don't like Cavendish, I certainly recommend staying away. It has quite a strong top note, pretty much what you'd expect from an aromatic, it can be a bit goopy, as we expect from aromatics as well. Other than these though, it isn't bad. Per say. It just takes a bit of getting used to. I can't say it will make it into my regular lineup, but I certainly will finish the tin.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Cut as a rather fine ribbon, this smells primarily spicy and sweet with a light smoky overtone.

This is based upon excellent white burley, wholesome and rich. There is a goodly amount of turkish leaf, contributing its fragrant richness. There is a gentle amount of virginia and a good touch of natural black burley cavendish for sweetness. Latakia content is noticeable, though light.

A quality americanized english, though no Dunhill, this. Light and gentle, though flavorsome, Sunrise Smoke is a winning entry in the premium market, though it falls shy of the super-premium slotting. At a reasonable price point, this is a no brainer. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm no expert in latakia blends. In fact I won't be fool enough to attempt to pawn myself off as a know it all in anything.

I don't think its wise as a reviewer to compare one toby to another. Plain and simple facts. Talk about whats on your plate and not whats on someone elses and never compare the two.

I sampled this charming blend recently. I can safely say that if you are thinking about exploring the world of latakia blends that this would be a great place to start.

The Latakia flavor is there humbly placed to dance with everything else. Its not strong at all. You could smoke it all day while doing any task. It is indeed mild and yet distinctly flavorfull. There is a sweet note to this which cannot be explained as there is no caseing listed in this blend. It simply could be natural sugars from the virginia peaking out but I simply have my doubts. But it is so soft its not worth arguing over weather or not if this is an aero. Its simply not worth the effort to go into.

There was also a slight hint of a cocoa flavor there somewhere on several puffs. So much so that on the next few puffs I struggled fervantly to isolate it again on my palate which I could not do. As I put my mind away from it and went back to the book I was reading it came back very very subtley. So I can say this that this blend has some nice mild nuances that will leave you curiously pleased through out the bowl.

owaindav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
owaindav (6)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

OK, I wasn't going to comment on this but when I saw it said it was perfect for fans of Dunhill EMP. Maybe if Dunhill had been in a horrible nuclear accident. To compare this to EMP is akin to comparing single malt scotch to evan williams. Not even close.

But to take it on it's own merit. It's not a bad smoke. It's a little too cased but still not bad. Tin aroma is sweet but you can't detect much of the latakia.

Burns fairly cool and the flavor is decent. It's almost not an aromatic but with the casing, I have to call it an aro.

Probably not a "go to" smoke but not too bad either.

Honestly not bad. I bought it only because an 8 oz. tin was just over ten dollars, and I can't resist a bargain, even if it turns out to be expensive mulch! But seriously, this may not be a fine blend, but it is just fine. Supposed to be like Early Morning Pipe. I have never had EMP, but would guess that it is nothing like. Not classic enough. However, it is quite smokeable. Lots of black leaf, but it ain't Latakia. Actually, they say it is "pressed black ribbon" and that there is Latakia. Well, not much. There is some sweet sauce, maybe a little PG, but it does seem to be dryable, so can't be much. It bites a little, but it's controllable. This may be due to the fast burning rate, but the burn is even, and I found the problem went away with slow sipping. Anyway, the flavor came through better that way. This is definitely sugared, and there may be a flavoring as well, but it is mild and I can't put my finger on it yet. This will not replace my favorite Virginia flakes, but I could see myself smoking it in my rotation and maybe getting a couple more tins, especially if the price stays that low.