A good amount of Black Cavendish, and just a little Sweet Virginia to make a sweet mild smoke. A very smooth but not weak, a very aromatic tobacco that is welcomed when smoking indoors.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
Blended ByJ.M. Boswell
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish
Strength
Taste

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (45)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was a surprise for myself personally. The smell of the tobacco matches the smoke IMO. For myself this was amazing I got a chocolate nutty feel to this blend and the room note was awesome. The flavor was mild and the taste was as well. I really felt the need to smoke this blend again as soon as I finished the first bowl. Very surprised not higher rated, but that's what's fun about reviews it's all perspective! I'd recommend this because the spice is truly nice.

Pipe Used: Corn cob, calabash

Purchased From: Boswells

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had been wanting to try Boswell aromatics for so long after reading their many praises here and elsewhere. I worked out a sample trade with a forum friend a while back for around 8 of them and was left unimpressed by all. The one I liked the most of those sample was a cherry blend of all things. And I certainly did not like that one too much either.

I was about to give up hope with these until another forum member surprised me with this one. I begrudgingly tried with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised on what a great aromatic it was. This one was right up my alley. First off is the subjective feelings on this which is so important for an aromatic as our tastes in toppings are as varied as our tastes in scents such as colognes and aftershaves and such. This one was very much to my liking. I would describe it as slightly molasses with a touch of fruit. Spices akin to those used in an apple pie, but no tastes of apple (which is a good thing to me.)

The topping was not overwhelming, I would say it was just right. Another important consideration with aros is how the topping hangs through the bowl. Sometimes a topping is not so pleasant and it starts to dissipate and get better. But when the topping is to your liking as this was to me, you want it to last. Some of the other Boswell aros, to me were left flat bout mid bowl as the toppings flashed off leaving an all too familiar, taste of hot air. Not with Spice and Nice. It hung through well. I am not too sure I got too much of the underlying leaf or if it just played so well with the topping it was hard to discern where one began and the other left off.

I was very impressed with this one as you can tell and highly recommend this for a nice change of pace aromatic.

Pipe Used: Cobs, meers and Pete Donegal B 11

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Please take note that the tobacco smoked for this review is almost 6 years old now. Where virginias seem to shine with age, aromatics seem to dull. They lose their aromaticness, if that is even a word. That said this tobacco still had some very good taste, just not as much as a fresh batch would.

I do not need to go into the intrinsic value of Boswell pipe tobaccos. The fact that these products are of the utmost quality is clearly visible.

Spice and nice is pretty similar to some of the other Boswell aromatic blends. This particular weed exhibits clear chocolate and nutmeg flavors. The nutmeg is really quite prevalent at times.

The biggest redeeming quality for all Boswell tobaccos seems to be their lack of tongue bite, and this blend follows suit.

Another fine creation by the gentleman at Boswell pipes. Give it a try.

Pipe Used: Cheap Basket pipe

Age When Smoked: Purchased in 2008

Purchased From: Boswell Pipes

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

Very mild, pleasant. 1/2 through bowl, slight sense of nutmeg/cinnamon. Light room note. Pleasant tasting, no bad after taste, at all.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I would like to say that the folks at Boswell are really wonderful. Spice and Nice has a very similar taste to IRC Kings Orietal . It is similar to mince meat pie that is heavy on the cloves and nutmeg. Perhaps for some folks this taste isn't bad. I find it rather pleasant. For a lttle oomph add a PINCH of Latakia! Solid aromatic but you need to dry it out for a day or 2. 3 stars!

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

Agree with reviewer Young Smoke there is a definite chocolate flavour in "Spice and Nice" among a bouquet of other tastes including licorice, hazelnut and nutmeg. J.M. Boswell makes another solid case for consistently elevated ratings rendered by tobaccoreviews.com scribes; the illustrious house deserves the approbation. This is superb with that first or second cup of java, black or green tea come morn. Slight minor difficulty. Found the leaf in my 4 oz. poly bag to be a bit moist upon opening and the bowl misfired a few times on char light. Laying the contents on aluminium foil to set over night cured this and all successive bowls have smoked consistently through. The blend smokes cooly in a trustworthy E.A. Carey "magic inch" billiard briar. Sure I will detect other flavours as the adventure unfolds because, as with Boswell's "Sweet Tea," this is an interesting confectionary & complex sweet aro mixture. Loving it...me encanta...ich liebe es. Happy hunting...

pghmod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pghmod (5)

I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could, but I reserve my 4 star review for blends that are truly steller. As damn near every Boswell blend I've had so far, this was an incredibly smooth and flavorful smoke that burn perfectly to a nice white ash. I can't speak highly enough of these Boswell blends, and of course you be enjoying them in a Boswell pipe for an optimal experience.

I will say I didn't notice lots of spice in this blend, but I'll agree with the "nice". It was very similar to my last experience with Boswell's Sweet Tea. I puffed away on this stuff and found no bite. Try it.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (34)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Pleasant flavor but a little too "nice" for me. The room note was nearly non-existent to my wife's disappointment. This would be a great blend for a new pipe smoker, but there isn't enough substance for the more experienced piper.

Pipe Used: Hilson Meer-lined

Purchased From: Boswell (via phone)

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)

I find it to be very similar to some of the other Boswell blends. It has that familar nutty/vanilla sweet carmel rasin-like aroma in the pouch and tastes about the same. It is mild, but tasty and satisfying. I find it has more to it than Boswell's best and the Vanilla cream, but you can still taste the tobacco, it's one of those blends to smoke with the nose as well. I think I'm really liking it because of the colder weather upon us now...it kinda goes with the season as I can also note subtle holiday like spice aroma and flavor like the name says. The more I smoke it I notice the flavors kind of fading away. It seems to be tasting a bit more like chocolate, it's not bad but it was a much better blend to smoke fresh than it is now after sitting around a while. This one is very similar to Boswell's No Bite Delight. It it still a nice blend with no bite...not bad, but not something I think I will need to have around.