Simply called "VR", the monogram of Victoria Regina, Queen of England which Holmes adorned his wall with while doing a little indoor revolver practice in his rooms at Baker Street. It also stands for Virginia Rich, a pressed blend of bright, stoved and red Virginias with a touch of unflavored Cavendish and a hint of sweet and spicy Perique.

BrandSHPC

3.8
pipetype Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetype (10)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I suppose that once you get past the name of the club - the Sherlock Holmes pipe club - -you are in for a real treat as further qualified.

Here is the key for you: For what it's worth, I am very partial to Samuel Gawith's chocolate blend, the Kendall Cream Blend, and especially the full Virginia flake. When these are not available, as they are often not, I shoot for London blend or the somewhat hay like golden extra.

I really like a tobacco that has a sweetness, not much spice, not much perfume, and one which has a mild cigarette and cigar note. I also like hints of vanilla, citrus, and chocolate. I do not like tobaccos that are laced with whiskey. I do like tobacco that has a hint of earth and wood in it - whenever that is. Tonquin makes me sick. (I suspect that even many of my favorite Gawith blends have Tonquin. So, even mayors chocolate will nauseate me if I smoke it too much. )

Nicotine is a wonderful thing, but certainly not inhaled through cigarettes. This tobacco has a good amount of nicotine in it. Amen! So with all this in mind, I hope this review will help others focus on this wonderful tobacco.

I am still learning how to prepare the broken flake. But it is pretty quick.

Overall I have to say that this tobacco is not a complex symphony. But in many ways is just right for those who like all of the tobaccos, or many of the tobacco's that I mentioned above. In addition it appears to be economical and in supply.

My hat is off to the blender at pipesandcigar.com as for me this is the home run for which I've been waiting. I am in no way associated with pipesandcigar.com.

Regards and enjoy.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (62)
Medium Very Mild Medium Strong

This is a unique blend using cavendish along with the VA/Per blend. In this case IMO a toasted black cavendish as there is an unmistakable brown sugar flavor that is always present in the background. This would suggest that sugar was in fact added to the process. It does IMO mask some of the more subtle nuances of the blend. Still, not bad for an all day smoke. It is very smooth and rich and the cavendish mellows the VA/Per . The VA's are the leading player and sweet too the perique adds its normal spice and dried fruits to the smoke and room note. There are notes of oak and citrus as well as dried fruit (raisin, prune, and figs) too. The nick hit is not what a normal VA/Per would provided and hence the all day aspect to the smoke. It does not bite either. The room note however is rough. I cannot smoke this when my wife is home (even outside as coming in is too much for her to bear). I am giving this 3 stars as someone will love this and as an all day VA/Per it would fit the bill. However, I am not an all day smoker and am looking for a little more. I will probably not revisit this again but it is sure to be someones go to all day blend. If you are looking for a smooth round, rich VA/Per for all day this would be it.

Tony M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony M (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I took great pleasure in packing a bowl of this blend. I broke a few hunks off the cake, tore them into smaller pieces, and then gave that just a couple quick pulses in a blade grinder. Obviously it's not ideal in a hurry, but I think the extra step of "ritual" is decidedly enjoyable.

I packed my pipe (a Pete Premier 493 - straight bulldog) in the morning, then tucked it into a case to enjoy at the end of my school day. As such it got a little 'air time,' but not too much I don't think. I expected a bit more moisture to the cake, but this really was darn near perfect to smoke as is once I'd broken it down. It might need a little more open air time if you just do a light by-hand rubbing out. I don't remember having any trouble getting this lit, and once it was going it burned well. One or two times I was leaning toward too hot and had to rein in, and I had a few relights, but nothing crazy.

VA is definitely central to this blend, and if you like the sweetness of a stoved VA then you'll probably be quite happy. The cavendish added a little extra depth to the flavor -- very nice -- and the perique was definitely present but subtle. Mellow and smooth, yet rich with a nice zip of character. I will enjoy the rest of this, and I will definitely order more down the road!

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mr. Holmes would have been fortunate indeed to have laid some of this sterling blend in his bowl. There are a great many positive aspects to its nature...the pressed cake format (mine arrived quite hard...almost brittle)...the brilliant combination of treacle/brown sugar essences (creating a flavor profile quite akin to Stonehaven is fine by me)...the surprise I experienced when I learned it contained Perique (it seems there is no end to the odd and often pleasing results that can occur once that delightful leaf is added to a blend)...the exceptionally well mannered nature with which it packs, lights and burns down the bowl (while producing tons of thick pungent smoke). All in all this is an instant classic and another feather for Msr. Oulette to add to his well laden cap. I've tried this in three pipes that form a personal test battery...all of them loved it. I have a feeling that it would also be stellar in a cob...or, in fact, nearly any damn thing...it's that good. And you know what might be the best thing of all? It actually tastes like tobacco! Imagine that. God bless us every one!

One of the things I love about blender Russ Ouellette is his constant exploration of unique tobacco combinations. He wowed me by adding cigar leaf to a VaPer in creating Virginia Spice and has done it again with VR. I am reluctant to call this a VaPer because of the impact of the Cavendish. For me, VR is in its own category. That's not a bad thing because the addition of the Cavendish really makes this blend stand out. It adds“richness” to the blend along with some sweetness. There are some deep flavors here. The Krumble Kake is nicely presented and comes apart easily. I prefer rubbing it out completely. It burns cleanly, even with the addition of the Cavendish. Aging this blend should bring about even greater enjoyment. Three and half stars!

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

I love the crumble cake presentation that pipesandcigars has created here, and the smoke too. This is a great VaPer, spicy and sweet. In keeping with SH, this is great in full bents.

teniscat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teniscat (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This came from pipesandcigars.com as a krumble cake, and I was expecting a flake. It is one of the mildest and smoothest vaper I have smoked. The perique is a step or two in the background of the Virginias. If you like Bayou Morning you will love this one. It burns to a grey white ash down to the bottom and isn't too hot. Well done SHPC.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

I am not going to get too long-winded here but suffice it to say that VR blend is one hell of a Va/Per. VR is a very classy, smooth, and satisfying smoke.I haven't had a Va/Per that I've enjoyed more and I have smoked many. Don't be afraid of the addition of the black cavendish it does nothing but enhance the enjoyment. VR is a bit pricey but worth every shekel. Go order some. NOW!

It looks like they really love great tobaccos in Boston. After trying Great Hiatus I needed to try another blend from the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club, and VR Blend lived up to my expectations. It's a superb mixture of great Virginias, favoring dark leaf over the bright one. The result is a mellow smoke with nuances ranging from a woodsy fragance to subtle citric notes. The Cavendish adds an extra sweetness, and the Perique, a touch of spice.

A great VaPer, one of my top five at the moment.