A traditional English mixture heavy in Latakia with Burley and Perique. A full bodied, all natural smoke. One of our original Atlas Blends.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAtlas Blending Corp.
Blend TypeBalkan
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique
Strength
Taste
2.7
albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

A Comentary: This tobacco is called "Balkan" and is claimed to be a typical "English" Mixture. Therefore, is not! Both, Balkan and English Mixtures,are made with Virginia, Latakia and Oriental Tobaccos. In the English Mixtures, Latakia is overall, in the Balkan Mixtures, Orientals are overall. This mixture not, this is Burley based, without Virginia or Oriental. Is is more proximal to an American Mixture: Burley or Burley-Virginia, Latakia and Perique. The result, for me, is fully different. All the kinds of present tobaccos (Burley, Latakia and Perique) can be noted. Smoke flavour as Latakia, peppery as Perique and bitter as Burley. But the result is very different, when compared with classical Balkan and English Recipes. This final result, for me, between 3 to 4 Stars. Latakia and Perique Fans will enjoy this. Completing my review: This tobacco is slow burning, easy to fit and light, and burns totally, giving almost white ashes. I reviewed my score. 4 Stars.

Pipe Used: Two Brazilian Pipes, an Apple and an Billiard

Age When Smoked: Recently Purchased.

Purchased From: TabacosBR, Brazil

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)

I was looking for a change-of-pace smoke, but not overly expressive. This seems a good choice. An Americanized balkan blend with generous latakia and a warm undertone of turkish. The key for me is a balanced presentation that lights easily, burns cleanly. It's been compared to Nightcap, but this one has a cleaner aftertaste and a lighter smoke. I went through three bowls this AM, and there was no tongue bite. My sample was tinned and just about the appropriate level of moisture, with a faint spring to the leaf after packing. Not a burley, but certainly one that I would smoke again.

JimInks (2040)

The burley is toasty, earthy and nutty with not much sweetness, and some bitterness. The perique is peppery with very little raisin and plum in a support role. The Cyprian latakia is smoky and woody with very little sweetness, and doesn't dominate the other ingredients. The very sour, woody Turkish is an important secondary player, though that sourness is very distracting. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Won’t bite. Burns well and a little warm on the tongue, and it is a little rough and bitter with a little inconsistency in flavor. A dry tasting smoke that leaves no virtually no moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. Has an unattractive, lingering after taste. One and half stars.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (28)
Strong Strong Very Full Strong

It's hard to get this blend be called "Balkan mixture". It has both Burley and Latakia and Perique, but it is an attempt to blend called US tobacco as Balkan, or English. Tobacco came in excellent condition, not too dry, not moist. Excellent as nic- bomb before bed, but I am latakia freak, and I have to admit that the presence of Latakia I barely felt. Perique is present, and Burley does not have the sweetness he should have. Well, this is an excellent tobacco, and I think he will get into my regular rotation, certainly as the last tobacco in the day! Yes, this is definitely tobacco with character!

Pipe Used: some old tanzanian meer pipes, DMP, Peterson

Purchased From: smokingpipes

This is a very nice blend. Not sure it should be called a Balkan, but it is a good smoke. I get equal amounts of flavor from each component. It's smoky, spicy, earthy and mildly sweet. Medium bodied and flavored. A pleasant smoking experience.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand, MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is an interesting blend, a very strong burley, with hints of Latakia and Perique. It does not, to me, taste like an English blend. This stuff is strong and not as smooth as other burley mixtures. I enjoyed it, so three stars

Pipe Used: Dunhil Cherrywood Cumberland

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (52)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is the first time I try a basic Perique tobacco, and I must say I am quite charmed even if it must be recognized that it has character (that's the goal!) At the opening of the bag, you can feel at full strength nostril Perique and Latakia: it is smoked, it smells good peat. In short, one likes or does not like the smell. For me it is already a quality omen Twisted Evil Personally, I like the rather dry tobacco. So I hastened to let it dry for a while. Not as a brown or Semois, but enough to not have nausea after 5 minutes. Some time later (I have not tested immediately after dried), so I tried it. Upon lighting, we feel peat. Where I regretted not having reread the review of Munch (subsequently confirmed by all the others), is at the strength of this tobacco. It is responsible nicotine the guy. Manurings first, I had trouble finishing the bowl. Fortunately, it's a small bowl that is smoked in 20/30 minutes! As this is not a very large bowl, I can not judge the length. I can just say that for the smoking time of my Church ', knows that tobacco let enjoy. He is very strong in flavor and relatively mild at the same time (this kind of paradox that makes me love English blends). I could easily adopt it as a daily tobacco, so my philosophy was not based on maximum tests of different tobaccos.

To summarize, I would say that tobacco is to test for any fan of English blends. That said, on condition of supporting the heavy load of nicotine that reaches the corner of squash and that hurts. Try with caution

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A big let down, really. No where near what Nightcap was. "Was" being the operative word.

Overall rather bland and boring, not much depth nor anything which really made me pay attention. Maybe that was the general idea and for some folks, right up their alley. The olde Nightcap on the other hand forced my hand. Also, this dried my palate too much.

There are other blends from C&D which are more inspired than this one. This one certainly will not be in the rotation.

Appearance and tin Aroma: A typical Balkan, you can see and smell the different components. A little fig note from the Perique is noticable too.

Packing and Lighting: Since it is a C&D product, the broad ribbons are at perfect moisture, as usual. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Nothing spectacular, your typical high quality Balkan

Mid-Bowl: Plenty of flavor, gets into the zone easily. Perique asserts itself a little more.

Bottom of Bowl: Builds up to a medium to full intensity. The end is too spicy for this piper (thanks to the Perique!). Ash is mottled grey and dry.

Overall: There was nothing to write home about with this blend. Just a solid Balkan with high quality components. I've been spoiled by the Pease offerrings of late, so I prefer to spend a couple of dollars more for it rather than buy this again. I suppose if your on a tight budget, this may be a go to blend. As for me, I'll go elsewhere...

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The colors range from tan to dark chocolate brown with typical flake cut. The scent from the sample bag I received is mild and characteristic of air cured tobacco - really quite pleasant. It burns well and leaves the bowl with little residue. This is a smoking experience that builds as it progresses, starting out not unlike sliding into an old pair of Lucchese - at once accustomed to familiar ways. It builds, not to any particular climax but more like meeting an old friend you've not been around for awhile. The latakia is quite smooth with sweet flavor that reminds me of smoked nuts. Smooth and easy I find it to be a most pleasant smoke. As yet another chapter in the chronicles of English blends I would not be opposed to having it around. There is no heavy presence I can detect so I dunno about the allusion to Nightcap, but I can certainly see why it's been around for awhile. This blend will please a broad range of tastes without being unduly assertive. Maybe, with a little syrian leaf........ Meerschaum Man smoking an old CAO Bacchus

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I wasn't too crazy about this one as it came off a little sour to my tastes. I think this may be due to the Turkish in the blend. Although it doesn't list it in the ingredients and is not really acknowledged in many of the reviews. Morleysson, or Bob Runowski, who is probably more familiar with the blend than most does acknowledge it. I will take his word, my tastes and to some extent the usage of the term Balkan, which at least suggests an oriental/Turkish forward blend, to mean that it does have some element in it.

In the case of Atlas Balkan, I don't think it works too well with the burley element. I find the Latakia and Perique to be very light, moreso with the perique than the Latakia. but to me they fail to overcome the earthy, and somewhat bitter, burley and the Turkish. To me it just comes off as sour and dry tasting. The blend needs some sweetness. Whatever nutty sweetness the Burley delivers, and admittedly there is some, is just canceled out.

I bought 4 ounces of this, because I really thought I would enjoy it; I have given quite a bit away in samples as I found It did not really suit my tastes. To date, I have not been impressed with the usage of Turkish/oriental in the C&D blends. In most cases they are using Smyrna (or Izmir as they prefer to call it) and this is not one of the strains I tend to enjoy so much, so that could be influencing my take on the blend.

I am giving this one 2 stars as it does perform well, and to those who like this take on a burley, like most C&D blends, it is still a burley dominant blend. Although Burley is the dominant player, this one is not nicotine powerhouse like one of the burley flakes, but it is still past medium in nicotine content.

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)

I truly love this blend. Latakia is balanced and the burley gives it a heaviness. As for the perique it is mellow and in the background which is where I personally prefer it. I like perique in a blend but I am not a fan of it dominating a blend. Here everything works together to give a rich smoke with pure strong tobacco flavor. This is the blend I reach for when I think nightcap is too heavy of a smoke. I don't know much about what makes a Balkan or an English as far as type of tobacco or amount used in a blend, what I do know is this is a great tobacco and I smoke it on a regular basis

Pipe Used: m/t full bent billiard briar, mm cobs

Age When Smoked: new from bulk

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Cornell & Diehl - Atlas Balkan.

The ribbons are fairly coarse, and perfectly hydrated. There's even a few small broken flake's in there. The best way I can think of to describe the pouch note is 'dusty'!

The smoke gives me loads more Burley-nuttiness than I expected to get from an English/Balkan. The Latakia is miles from unrecognizable; it's woody and smoky, but it's the nuttiest English/Balkan I've had!! The Perique dishes up a notable pluminess, and gives the smoke some life; it brightens the smoke without being too zesty. That's a few positives, and here's a few negatives: the burn's way too hot, it bites like hell, and just like the pouch-note, the smoke develops a dusty flavour.

The nicotine's medium, and the room-note isn't very nice.

This is quite a unique English/Balkan, but there's too many bad points for it to get any more than two stars.

Somewhat recommended.