PipesAndCigars

Mississippi River ~ actually appeared to Master Blender Joe Lankford in a dream. Awakened from a sound sleep he grabbed a pencil and scribbled a recipe before the memory faded. The next morning he used those notes to create a Virginia blend like no other. Mississippi River was born. The rest is history in a tin. Enjoy the rich Virginias pressed in cakes with oriental leaf, a pinch of Latakia and Perique. Exceedingly popular with good reason. Crafting the most sought after small batch blends in America since 2007.

Notes: Smooth, creamy, rich, lightly smoky and appropriately sweet, with hints of dried fruits and a touch of dark chocolate.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Taste

mimefrog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mimefrog (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This review is from a purchase of Mississippi River in September 2013.

I bought 8oz in bulk to split with a friend and it came as 4 big speckled "brownies" with some shake that had fallen off in the plastic bag. I put my 4oz share into a mason jar.

It packs and lights really easily because the crumble cake breaks down into almost a chopped tobacco consistency, ranging from light brown, to auburn, to near black. At first, I didn't get what the fuss was all about ... it was so tasteless in my Sav pot (very wide not deep chamber), I thought maybe everyone who raves about this stuff was crazy or I had gotten a bum batch.

Then I tried it in a deep, narrow bowled Sasieni and it was a whole different thing altogether. Its still mild, body-wise, and its pretty much a morning/daytime smoke for me. But its got a lot going on in terms of flavor (in the right pipe). I occasionally have to keep myself from absentmindedly inhaling it because its just that easy smoking. That almost never happens with VA flake tobaccos I generally smoke.

Good stuff. Get it if you can because geez it sells out fast.

EDIT: smoking it a few months later a description came to mind to describe the sweetness ... its like the caramelized edge of a chocolate chip cookie. Yum.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a superb blend and a go to top shelfer for me. Love the balance in this blend. Absolute all dayer English blend. Just the right amount of spice from the orientals and enough smokiness from the Latikia to keep me interested but not so much that it extinguishes the sweetness of the Virginia's. If you're a new pipe smoker or new to English blends you should try this. This will always be a part of my rotation for sure!

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs dedicated to English blends

Purchased From: pipesandncigars.com

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The red Virginia is tangy, dark fruit sweet with a little earth, rather McClelland-like in that there’s a very mild barbeque flavor present at the beginning. The stoved Virginias have a fermented sugary fruitiness. The perique offers some spice with raisin and fig notes. The Cyprian latakia is an important supporting player, adding a sweet smoky woodiness that is obvious in every puff. The Oriental is also a minor player, not always detectable, but it is woody with a slight sour hit here and there. Presented in an easily broken apart krumble cake, it may need a little dry time. Burns slow and clean, requires some relights, and has a consistent, complex, rich and creamy smooth sweet taste to the finish. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note.

Some smokers have complained that the newer production, which is made by a different company than it first was, is not as good as the original. In comparing the 2011 version versus the 2015 several times in back to back smokes, I taste very few minor differences, e.g., the red Virginia is more prominent with less of the McClelland notes at the beginning, the perique seems to occasionally be a shade more noticeable in the new manufacture. I don’t see any of that worth complaining about, and the two versions are certainly not night and day different. In this instance, I think the power of suggestion over rides the taste buds of those smokers.

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is simply awesome! Not being a fan of Latakia, I shied away from this blend despite all the rave reviews of it. Finally giving in to peer pressure, I ordered a tin. Amazing... The Latakia smokiness is prominent at first light, but quickly fades into the background( which is great for me). What remains is a sweet, caramelized sugar flavor from the Virginias, with just a tiny hint of smoke. The only bad part of this blend was when I reached the bottom of the bowl and realized it was gone.

Riff Raff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Riff Raff (4)

I was pleasantly surprised by this tobacco. I was expecting the typical english blend from the description on here. This rings more closely to a Va/Per. The spicey, sweet, cool smoke is intoxicating. The complexity of flavors changes throughout the bowl which makes this blend even more appealing to me. There is the underlying Latakia leathery and smokey notes, but you can't help but me enthralled with the spicey sweetness of the Virginias and Perique.

This is definately a must have for me.

Pipe Used: Mastro De Paja, Peterson, Nording, GBD

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Comparing this to Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, I would have to say that the presence of the Perique, for me, was the dominant factor. Also, if you like your tobacco salty, neither will disappoint.

The presentation in the tin was similar to Plum Pudding, but the tobacco was not as brick-like. It was much easier to prepare Mississippi River for smoking. I could not detect any aromatic presence once I opened the tin, nor could I detect the presence of the Latakia. I did detect the presence of the musty Perique, but during the smoke, none of the Perique's flavor - just salt. It took to the match with ease and I had no trouble keeping it lit. Not a hot smoke, and very nondescript. All I tasted was salt and no tobacco - something I certainly wasn't expecting after reading the other reviews. At times I did detected a mild sweetness, but none of the fruity presence mentioned in the above description. For me, the Perique was so dominant (more salt than pepper) that I could not honestly detect the taste of any of the other tobaccos said to be in this blend.

Nothing in this one for me to cry out about. I will finish my 2 ounce tin over time, but unless things change, I won't be revisiting it. I have been wanting to try it and I am glad I did, with perhaps a slight preference for Mississippi River over Plum Pudding. Neither will make it into my rotation. In both cases, I was actually looking for more of a fruity sweetness to go with the Latakia. I recommend it with 2 stars for what it is - a mild, sweet Virginia with a little spice.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The first thing I noticed when I opened the bulk bag is the smell of a mild, sweet BBQ sauce. Similar to the McKetchup smell, but not the same. The sweet part of the smell was akin to molasses.

After lighting, the Virginias took the lead and held it for 2/3s of the bowl. The Latakia and Orientals were balanced in second place. The Perique was light but discernible. There's an extra bit of sweetness from a casing or topping. There are also some nice fruity notes. In the last third of the bowl the Latakia and Orientals achieve a balance with the Virginias providing a more "traditional" flavor profile which is held to the finish.

An excellent blend. A great, satisfying smoke. Mild to medium in body with medium flavors. Just a great all-around smoking experience. Loved it.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Pilotpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilotpuffer (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Unnoticeable

This is my fist posting on this forum, however, I and my wife have enjoyed pipe smoking since 2002. We found ourselves getting back into pipe smoking in the last few months and this has been an interesting experience. During my quest to “get current” with the tobaccos blends and the general hobby/lifestyle, I started looking at YouTube and reading this forum, as well as cruising the internet and my chatting up my local B&M tobacconists. The Seattle Pipe Club blends have certainly received some nice write-ups and accolades, so I took a chance from Pipes and Cigars and ordered a sample of 4 oz.’s of MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

Ok, on to my notes concerning SPC Mississippi River -

Taste: Excellent flavor of the initial light and first few puffs. I could immediately taste the Latakia and the smooth VA and the Orientals. The Perique hid the back until about mid bowl and then I caught the taste in subtle manner. The Orientals seemed more pronounced to me than the Latakia throughout the bowl. All together I think it is a mild to medium English blend with some unusual spicy smoothness and a faint brandy note. This mix never had a bite and was consistent in taste. I just can’t figure out the secret flavor that makes this blend so unique tasting. Is it the pressing? Nice finish with no lingering unexpected flavors.

Mixture: The mixture was smooth and well balanced all the way to the dottle. I really appreciate the married flavors that did not compete with each other or change as the smoke progressed. Again, is it the pressing and resulting marriage of the components that adds this nice touch?

Texture; My sample came as a solid brick! There was “some assembly required” to get the weed in a smokable condition. Others have commented that there is no known casing, but the moisture content was high after breaking the cake. I let it dry for an hour or two on a clean poster board before placing in a glass air-tight jar. After that I’ve had no issues with the moisture content.

Smoking notes: I lit nicely and stayed lit with normal sipping. I didn’t have to honk on the mixture to keep it lit. As other have stated, it finishes in a nice white ash. Reminds me of EMP in that respect. Great smoke with limited aggravation to my nose.

Summation for the jury: I really like this blend and plan to keep it in my regular rotation I prefer English and Balkan mixtures in general, but this SPC blend stands apart from most all that I usually enjoy. I think it is the uncommon smoothness and unique flavor for this type of blend. Additionally, with my Dunhill favorites I do not have the added task of rubbing out the blend.

Recommended.

P.S. I have many blends that have been cellared for over ten years that I will be sampling in the coming months. Some of these well-known international blends are no longer being produced or distributed. Stay tuned.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Spigot - MAPS 2002 Pipe

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (37)

Firstly, I would not say this is an English blend, so don't let that put you off if your anti-English. I've smoked it in straight VA pipes without the standard Lat ghosting. Although present, the Latakia takes a background in this blend and doesn't in any way try to out-do the other tobaccos. I have smoked and shared many tobaccos but this one I hid when others were around to preserve it all for myself. A real top-shelf treat. The sweetness of extra mature Vas are so balanced with the spicy perique and smoky Latakia in a marbled looking little crumbly brownie that's as visually stimulating as it is tasty! Buy some and you won't be sorry.

Pipe Used: Many

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (78)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I had no idea what to expect with this one, especially after having just smoked a tin of it's stable mate Plum Pudding. So, I popped the tin and saw a mélange of pieces of a rather dark and mottled tobacco that looked like an irregularly rubbed-out flake. My initial sniff test caused me to think - what? It smelled like several things all at the same time; but, mainly sweet and somewhat spicey and, yes, latakia. The semi-flakes rubbed out easily and the loading and lighting was also easy. The sweetness seemed subdued during smoking and the frequently encountered English pair of tobaccos, latakia and perique, played nicely together. All in all, a rather pleasant smoke that I enjoyed; however, I don't see it as a mainstay blend. I have been including it in my English microblends to great success and enjoyment.

What we have here is, in essence, an aromatic English. I have no problem recommending it to smokers for both smoking and blending. Three stars.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars ELX half bent cognac billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Pembroke, but much milder flavoring.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (65)

Nice, dark crumble cake with inviting tin notes of plum, leather, and a background aroma that would be familiar to Copenhagen dippers (although that last one dissipates with a little drying time).

Needs some tending and an occasional relight, but burns well overall.

Some nice spicy and earthy notes from the orientals, but the Virginias are still very much in front. Personally find them a little thin in the smoke and taste departments, and the flavor is a bit too much like a (quality!) cigarette.

Nicotine level is pretty solid.

Similar, but doesn't quite measure up, to Pebblecut or Tudor Castle, imo. (And those two are a lot easier to get your hands on!) But fans of these types of VA-oriental blends will almost certainly enjoy this. It's pretty damn good for the genre, just not my cup of tea.

Similar Blends: McClelland Ashton Revival Pebblecut, McClelland Tudor Castle.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Looks great smells great taste way to mild and gunk's my pipes up and never I repeat never dries out on the self in an open tin for over a year don't know what they case this stuff with but I think its what they use in most McClelland English blends because I have this problem with them too

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A deep, rich looking Krumble Kake that begs to be smoked. I prefer to fully rub it out and let it dry. The Virginia's lead the show here. More sweet than sour, but not overly so. I prefer Plum Pudding by the same blender for a little more Latakia. English lovers that are fond of a stong Virginia component should give this one a try. Recommended.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)

Finally got my hands on a tin of M, i, crooked letter, crooked letter i, crooked letter, crooked letter i, hump back, hump back i.

I purchased the small tin hand blended 2oz. I peeled back the top and took a deep whiff. Nothing. I took another whiff. Nothing. Barley a movement on the smell test. Kind of shocked. Didn't have a strong smell profile. I loaded my pipe and puffed it up as I stood outside and helped my daughter with her homework through the screened window. (I couldn't wait).

Hmmm. The mildness carried over to the pipe. Then, something strange happened. My reliable pipe with a decent cake that never runs hot began to run hot. I applied my puffing skills to the hilt. The pipe burned super hot and I wasn't impressed with the flavor. SUPER mild. Not what I was expecting. Not spicy, not sweet, not ANYTHING just like that deep whiff of my noz. Since then I've smoked about 8 more bowls in two different pipes. I get the same reaction. Burns super hot. (That's strange). And the flavor was eh. Pretty mild. I have combed through the reviews a good ways back and I can't find anything similar to my experience. The word mild was used only once. I'm surprised at this blend. Maybe I just got a bad batch, or maybe it's over hyped. Or, maybe you Seattle folks put a little (extra sum'tin, wink, wink,) in the blend you smoke . I do love Plum Pudding… but this is no Pudding. And I know Pudding.

UPDATE: July 13, 2015. Based on the previous smashing reviews I must have had a bad batch of this stuff. There's no way to describe the stark contrast between all other experiences and mine. Since Oct 2014, I smoked this tin down and finally gave up at the last bit. If I didn't get a bad batch, I will say this is the most overrated and overhyped tobacco on this site. Flavorless. Even the tobacco barely had a smell in the tin. I hate this tobacco and never have I committed the sin of throwing tobacco away until today. It was taking up valuable space in my cellar and the tin was worth more than the contents.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sterling 69. Cob. Peterson 305

Age When Smoked: fresh batch from new tin 2014.

Purchased From: PipesandCIgars.com

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (21)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have ordered this tobacco several times. When I bought it in bulk it was almost a fully rubbed out kake, the 2oz tin was small pieces of kake, and the 8oz tin had two large beautiful chunks of kake. I much prefer the fully intact kake, if only for aesthetic reasons. This has become one of my favorite tobaccos. The Virginia is prominent, then perique, followed by the slightest hint of latakia. It burns cool and dry, which is always a plus. The room note does not linger which makes it one of my wife's favorites as well. An easy going all day smoke that an experienced smoker can appreciate and could serve as a good transition smokle for an OTC tobacco smoker to higher quality blends.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 1-2 years

robsm2013 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robsm2013 (6)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I know everyone raves about this one due to all the positive publicity on youtube, and it does have a nice flavor profile, however, I just find this one way too mild -

This blend, originally created by Joe Lankford of the Seattle Pipe Club, is a Krumble Kake and now produced by PipesandCigars.com for the Seattle Pipe Club. I find two rectangular Kakes when I open my 2oz tin, the tin aroma is Oriental/Virginia/Latakia. The flavor is Virginia forward, Oriental and Latakia next with Perique added for spice. This is a delightfully easy-going, all day smoke. The VAs are sweet with just enough Oriental and Latakia to keep me interested and at the end of my bowl longing for more. The Perique is lightly added and enhances the overall smoke. 9 out of 10 stars.

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (43)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This was a tobacco that to me at first had a lot of hype built up for it but couldn't deliver. I was in love with the aroma that it put off but..... That was it. It had no flavor to it. I originally bought 4 Oz. that came in a couple of small bricks that were soaking wet. I found that if I rubbed the bricks out and let the tobacco completely dry out and them rehydrate them to your liking, that you will get a much better flavorful smoke. So that's what I did and it improved this blend drastically for me. Smokes cool with no bite. Nice Virginia flavor with a little spice and smoky undertones. Very pleased with it now. Also 2 years of age probably helped this blend out too.

My problem now is this. Why in the hell is it every time their is a blend that is created that has largely impacted pipe smokers as being something so positive and has been released for years do the blenders decide that "Oh, we better stop producing these SPC blends in bulk because of so called Quality Control Issues." Really? Its only a quality control issues if you can't regulate the production correctly. This really bites my ass. The same thing happened with H&H Blackhouse. Bought 4 oz. in bulk and now you have to by an overpriced 50g tin.

In other words, I would rather give $4 an oz versus the current prices of SPC blends at 11.99 for a freaking 2 oz tin.

Age When Smoked: New and at 2 years

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

To me this is as palatable as a Vegemite sandwich, with that said there are millions that consider Vegemite a staple in their diet. I guess the same could be said for this blend, there is obviously enough fellas out there that like this stuff, or just say they do as to not upset Joe Lankford perhaps? I'm at a loss to understand the subtle and pronounced flavour notes some reviewers mention here. Quite frankly I couldn't keep it lit long enough to get much of anything out of it, the flavour reminds me of SPC Plum Pudding and I don't mean that to be complimentary (another tremendously over rated and over priced smoke in my opinion) Eternally moist, bitey, absent of any quality tobacco flavour and about as exciting as a glass of water served at room temperature. To each their own I suppose, but I sure missed the punch line on this one. If you are looking for a similar blend at a fraction of the cost, come hang out at my place around 5:45am at any point throughout the week, my neighbor's German Shorthaired drops a big Brown twist on my lawn and kindly leaves it for me to dispose of(or step in). In a blind taste test I'd put a 50 cent piece on the table that one could not tell the difference between the two.

Cellist0doom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cellist0doom (6)

This blend is one of my absolute favorites! It attacks my taste buds in all the right ways. It's spicy, sweet, smokey, and tangy. I still remember the first time I had a bowl of this. As soon as the flavors opened up, I shook my head in disbelief that I had found something so good! I think this blend is a great one whether you prefer aromatics or non-aromatic and English blends.

Dennis Frost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dennis Frost (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This is quickly becoming my go-to blend. Very creamy and rich, without an overwhelming flavor. Everything melds together perfectly for an enjoyable blend. Though there is a hefty amount of Latakia, it is just enough to give it the right amount of depth and creamyness. I cannot say enough good things about this blend. It is a Kake, so I usually break some out and let it sit for an hour or so before loading a bowl. In fact, I may go do that right now...

Pipe Used: stefano santambrogio; Stanwell

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Bulldog8483 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog8483 (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Strong

Upon opening the "bag" from Pipes and Cigars, it smells very strong and overwhelming in not a pleasant way. I actually did not care for that initial smell at all. However, while smoking it, that smell is completely overhthrown by the nice woodsy/smokey smell that it exudes. It is certainly a nice change of pace from when I switch between something like this and some of my favorite "go to" aromatic blends. It's not cheap (3 ounces for $20 with shipping) and I have a hard time buying a lot of it for that reason, but it is worth a try in my opinion given the smoothness of the it.

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog Amigo 51, MM Corn Cob and a Dr. Grabow

Age When Smoked: Bulk, directly from the bag

Similar Blends: Boswell's Northwoods.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

Yeah this is it, a smooth, mellow, and fragrant smoke finally I found it at this remarkable blend. It came with a bulk package on a huge flip plastic with a well printed sticker and when I open the flip the smell is very good, a slight virginia well mixed with perique, oriental and latakia it's smells very good. With a good moisture level and nice to pack it directly into the bowl without wind it up.

The first draw is excellent, smokey fragrant from the pine I guess came with a good peppery and spice fulfil my mouth and stick well in to the palate. The raisin and plum scene came very nice in to my tongue and the taste is sweet and mellow. Not a harsh kick or a quick bomb, it just a gentle increasing taste. It burns well at my pipe, not juicy and easy to keep the flame on. And at the half of the bowl, the taste and flavor are steady, slowly increase it taste to be a little bit stronger but still smooth and mellow. I really enjoy the journey with this blend untill finish, until I smoke it in to the bottom of the bowl of my pipe.

I had finished a bulk of this remarkable blend and sure want to buy this stuff again. There is no tongue bite even I smoke it 3 - 4 times a day and I smoke it every day untill I finish the whole bulk. Just love this blend very much want to make this blend as my daily smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Oscar Aged Briar 111 KS

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (63)

When I first opened this tobacco I really liked the smell. Super concentrated black tea and smoke. The taste is essentially the same and boy is there a lot of it depending on the pipe. Not a "smoke and don't think" blend, because your brain will be busy getting all the tiny flavor differences out of it. One of the best blends I have tried to date.

Pipe Used: Turck's Select Lovat

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)

Of the three Seattle Pipe Club blends this is my favorite.

Mississippi River, has a distinct balance and very intriguing nuance to my palate. The smokey Latakia, while ever present in flavor and aroma, subtly compliments the interplay of sweet Virginia and spice from the Oriental and Perique in a most wonderful way which is finished off, quite interestingly, with a smooth creamy dark Chocolate note that makes this one a truly unique smoke for me. Being a Krumble Kake, is an additional bonus. A "Treat" tobacco for me which I reach for on occasions when in the mood for a Latakia blend of medium body, yet rich in flavor with a little spice. A great change of pace offering.

Hook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hook (2)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am a Virginia smoker. I love a great Virginia. Of the three Seattle Club blends, this is my favorite. If you like a nice base of red Virginia, this should hit the spot. The slow burn of this tobacco keeps it nice and cool for a Virginia blend. Just enough Perique and Latakia to give it a touch of spice. Definitely not a mundane blend. For the Virginia smoker a must try.

I love this blend! Once again, master small batch blender Joe Lankford came up with a winner. I thought it would be similar to Esoterica's Penzance due to the contents and the fact that it is in Krumble Kake form. However, it is more Virginia forward with the Orientals, Perique and Latakia playing very deep in the background. This one stands on its own merit as a somewhat spicy offering that is a real palate pleaser for those who appreciate Latakia in small doses that compliments rather than overwhelms a blend.

Pipestud

Mhulsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mhulsey (35)

First let me start off by saying that this is an incredible blend deserving of every bit of the hype that surrounds it. Now, with that out of the way, I will begin my review. The tin that I am reviewing is one of several two ounce tins that I purchased this past spring with the intent being to age several of the tins, but they have continued to be pulled from the cellar at an astonishing rate. That should be a testament of how good this truly is. The tin note of this tobacco is very bright, being both sweet and bready from the Virginia, and slightly smoky and leathery from the Latakia, although I will say that the Virginia’s seem to steal the show at least as far as the tin note is concerned. The cut of the tobacco in this tin was more of a crumble than a cake as it seemed that none of the cake held together, however, I have gotten a few tins that were much more of a cake with small bits and pieces smattered in at the bottom of the tin. The tobacco is definitely a high quality tobacco and I have yet to find any twiggy or woody bits in any of the tins that I have purchased and smoked. The moisture level of the tobacco is generally just about right for my liking, however, this tin seems a little on the damp side and therefor I have had to rub the tobacco out completely and then let it sit out for fifteen to thirty minutes at a time before packing a bowl and enjoying my smoke. Once rubbed out and dry, the tobacco packs easily into the bowl and takes the light with minimal effort. The first thing that I am greeted with upon lighting the tobacco is that wonderful yeasty, and bread like Virginia taste, which is followed by a mild smoky, campfire like taste from the Latakia. To me, the Latakia remains mild throughout the entire smoke and plays a supportive role to the Virginias and Perique. As for the Perique, there is a mild peppery note that I can detect in the smoke, but it mainly lets me know it is there by mouth feel, as there is a slight spiciness that can be detected on the tongue. Do not let this last statement confuse you, there is no tongue bite here that will stay with you for hours or even days, but yet there is a mild spiciness that is detectable kind of like that of a mild spicy pepper. The blend remained bright, clean, and very consistent down to the bottom of the bowl. Nicotine levels were moderate, at least to me, leaving me feeling as though there was no need to light up another bowl. In the end, the tobacco burned well with no need for any relights, and burned down to a fine white ash, which made for easy cleaning of the pipe. I have to say that I am very satisfied with this blend and will continue to purchase it as often as possible so that I can possibly cellar some, and have enough to smoke anytime that I am in the mood for it. I would recommend this blend to anyone who enjoys a mild English blend where the Latakia is not overpowering, or to those that enjoy Virginia and Perique blends but want something to spice it up a bit.

Pipe Used: Various Dunhills

Age When Smoked: New from tin

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (63)

This blend has a unique tin note to it. Can't say it's inviting or puts you off, I'd say it's interesting since I never really had a note like it. Almost like a subtle tangy bbq. Nonetheless, the smoke it what counts and it's a good one. It has some great balance, the Virginia seems to pull through nicely with a sweet tangy nuance with the latakia balancing it out.. the perique isn't overpowering and let's you know it's there in the background. The Orientals definitely bring interest. I like how the sweetness seems to become more prevalent to me as the bowl burns down. A nice blend I think anyone would enjoy. Have kept this in my rotation for more than a year now. When I seem to not know what I am in the mood for, it's a staple I draw on regularly. I think this is one of those blends everyone should try at least once. It has enough uniqueness to it that separates it apart from so many others.

Pipe Used: Rossi, Red Point, La Strada, Cob

Age When Smoked: 3, 6 and 12 months

Purchased From: P&C

CincinnatiKid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CincinnatiKid (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The fact that his tobacco has prompted Me to write My first review ought to say something. I am not going to attempt to delve into the many subtle nuances of this blend, as many much more qualified individuals than Me already have. What I do want to say is, now that I have nearly smoked a tin of it, that Mississippi River just may be smack dab in the middle of My wheelhouse. I favor VaPer blends much of the year (leaning a bit heavier on Burly and Latakia the colder it gets), but the role that the Latakia plays in this blend seems to never be too much or too little for my taste. That is to say it serves as an excellent supporting role to the Virginias no matter if it is 9am in July with coffee or 9pm in November with an Imperial Stout. I have only enjoyed a few dozen tobaccos in My pipe life thus far, but how this offering from Seattle a Pipe Club never ceases to match just what I am after tells Me that it is a very well balanced and masterful blend. Lastly, I love how it crumbles and packs. Makes for a delightful prep and a low maintenance smoke. Cheers.

Jeff C. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeff C. (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Although not a bad tobacco, I'd consider this a crossover for those coming from the Aro world looking to explore the world of English/Baltic blends. It's cased with something, though it may just be the humectant of which there is obviously a sizable measure. As has been stated, it just doesn't want to dry out. This however,is not a problem as it does stay lit quite well. The problem stems from the fact that it maintains that moist nature throughout the smoke which at least in my case, is a deal breaker since your concentration is always on the cloying moisture content so commonly experienced with Aro's, rather than the nature of the blend itself. Thus it's burdened having the smoking qualities of an aromatic with a taste of the flavors associated with true English/Balkans, Vapers and Straight Virginia's. The flavors never really marry and leaves the smoke rather one dimensional. It sadly and simply never really develops any real body. As I previously said, this may be a great way to introduce the Aro smoker to the joys of purer tobacco's as the moisture content will ease them into smoking pure tobacco by having many of an Aro's smoking characteristics. But, if your a veteran of the true Balkan types of weed, I think you'll find the qualities and nuances you'd expect from that type of blend to simply not be found here. 2 stars for an excellent bridge into the English/Balkan world.

Pipe Used: Meers, briars and cobs

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Plum pudding by Seattle Club Pipe.

FrozenChurchwarden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FrozenChurchwarden (4)
Mild None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Packing didn't seem to make a huge difference in flavour. I used mostly wide bowl pipes but the odd bowl in a small diameter pipe was still good. It burns very slowly when fresh but ok with a bit of drying. Drying does diminish flavour a bit.

The flavour is predominantly sweet and fruity with a bit of complexity. The smell is definitely a strong part of the experience for the smoker. Flavour is very consistent, strong up front and reducing slightly after halfway, but still quite tangible. It picks up a bitter note near the end. I've been dumping it at around 40 minutes when the flavour is still mostly good (I'm an occasional pipesmoker and don't worry about getting every last drop). It turns starchy with fast puffing and goes bitter if you burn it hot.

Pipe Used: Ferndown, Ropp, Ashton, MM Cob, Brebbia.

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 year.

Purchased From: 4Noggins.com

Similar Blends: Any good VaPer with choice Orientals and Latakia. The flavour reminds me somewhat of Sutliff Elizabethan Match, only with more complexity, really I can't say I've tasted anything else quite like it.

Joaquim Pancho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joaquim Pancho (7)

This, in my opinion is the first, if not the only blend that mixes the viginias, latakia, orientals, turkish and perique, all together in a superb way, resulting in a nice cool smoke. Practically you can sense all the elements without having them in conflict. If you like English and oriental, or if you want to make a step in to English or Orientals, I recommend to start with this one.

Pipe Used: Jake Hackert

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: maybe Frog Morton on the Town.

CREED Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CREED (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Nice morning smoke.......mild and smooth. However, that is about it, anything after lunch and this is too mild of a smoke. Smoke it slow to try and get the taste. Like I wrote, after lunch you will be wanting more flavor! So, if you're new to the pipe, you just might get a lot out of Mississippi River! Enjoy

Pipe Used: Got the same taste in any size I smoked.

Age When Smoked: 5 weeks only....had to try it!

Purchased From: on-line

Similar Blends: Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding only milder .

curttuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
curttuck (12)

I struggled for a few weeks to properly understand the flavors of this tobacco. The flavors of Plum Pudding are a bit easier to pick out I think. Mississippi River has a sweet grassiness from the Virginias and Orientals, a smokiness from the Latakia, and a spiciness from the Perique, but what flavor stands out as unique, albeit in a subtle way, is a fishy, steak sauce-like umami flavor. It's somewhat of an anchovy or a lake fish gut smell and taste when, which sounds like a bad thing but is so subtle and well balanced that it works perfectly. It also has a hint of something like paper or cardboard, again which is a good thing in this blend. That fish-like character mixed with the taste that is like the smell of paper or cardboard was the thing that kept me from reviewing it earlier because it's kind of vague and hard to define exactly. The tobacco smokes slowly for a very long time. I find that while Plum Pudding is more complex, I'm not sure I can say one is better than the other.

Pipe Used: Tom Briar

Similar Blends: Plum Pudding.

Couldn't wait to try this blend but I wanted to finish the whole 2oz tin before my review. The tin note is musty and fruity with a mild ketchup twang. It is a beautiful dark mottled krumble kake that breaks up and packs very easily. A little drying time is all that's needed and away you go. The mild Virginias add a real honest natural sweetness to the smoke. High quality tobaccos are very evident in the blend. There is just the right amount spice that is not overwhelming. The nicotine level is slightly more than medium but not a head spinner. Overall a great tobacco that I enjoyed more after dinner than earlier in the day. Medium bodied but rich and mouth filling smoke. Highly recommended.

Otis56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Otis56 (31)

Joe Lankford is my hero. I have smoked all kinds of different blends of pipe tobaccos in my life time . That being said my 2 favorite blends are Ashton Artisian, and Robert Mconnell Oriental mixture. River is not even close in taste or aroma to either of the latter mixtures. But what a smoke. Wow what a suprise this mixture is. There is an amazing butter Carmel and chocolate taste and smell with a hint of Lakeland floral. It is sweet yet slightly smokey. Lights fairly easy. Is rich and creamy. And I truly have found my new favorite smoke. Kudos to Mr Lankford. Peace

Pipe Used: 60's Italian bent brandy

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Nothing I have come across..

Preacher PipeWeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Preacher PipeWeed (4)

Along with Plum Pudding (also by Seattle Pipe Club), this is my favorite non-aromatic blend. It also serves as a great way to cross over to pure tobacco if you are a dedicated aromatic smoker. The components of the blend marry well together. It does require some pre-smoke drying time. You can smoke it fresh out of the tin, but will struggle with re-lights (but who cares? This is awesome regardless). I have a half pound aging, as I suspect this blend will only get better with age. The amount of Perique is just perfect for me, as that particular leaf is often too much for my tongue. Somehow, they have achieved a perfect balance along with Latakia & Orientals. I normally smoke Black Gold on a daily basis (Hilands Cigars), which is an exquisite aromatic. However, Mississippi River and/or Plum Pudding have become a go-to smoke at least 3 or 4 times per week (if you prefer a bit more Latakia, then Plum Pudding is for you).

This blend has it all: the smokiness of Latakia, the pepper of Perigue, the carmalized sweetness of Virginia, and of course the spice of the Oriental. God gave us tobacco, but Joe Lankford blended it to near perfection.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I ordered this in bulk, and it arrived mostly in loose ribbon cuts with a few chunks of cake. It's way too moist to smoke straight out of the bag so I usually leave a pinch sitting out while I pour a cold one. I knew with my first charring light that I'd be keeping this one around forever. It tastes and smokes consistent down to the bottom of the bowl, and is just plain good. There's alot of big flavor in this blend for being so smooth. Happy Pipe Day !

Pipe Used: I've tried it in all my pipes at least once

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I just tried this for the first time after reading all the positive reviews I wanted to try it for myself. I ordered a couple ounces in bulk to see if i liked it. Upon opening the bag it smells of rich high quality virgina and slight latakia which coincidentally smells just like ketchup. The crumble cake packs nicely. At first light the latakia pops out a little up front but then blends nicely with the sweet virginia once it gets going. This blend is best sipped to appreciate the full flavor and it will burn cool for a very long time if done so, puff it too fast and it can get mean. All-in-all a good relaxing smoke. I am not a fan of straight virginas but if blended properly with other types and smoked with the right approach they can be quite enjoyable. I may keep some of this on hand due to the fact that it is always sold out and I would like to enjoy a bowl of it from time to time.

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

LargeDomePtomey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LargeDomePtomey (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

It is great stuff. It is as smooth as silk but has a distinct and unique flavor. It is hard to describe. Make sure to sit back and enjoy the whole bowl, the smoke is a journey through a number of different flavors. I get a buttery flavor through the whole bowl. I can't really add anything more to the deserved praise it has already received.

Pipe Used: Country Gentlemen, Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro

Epicurator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicurator (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Ah, Mississippi River.....what a beauty.

It's hard to add anything new to the near-eighty reviews which already abound this forum. Though I must add my approval.

A medium English for sure. A Red Virginia Showcase, if you will, with an artful addition of Perique and Cyprian Latakia in perfect proportions to just spice things up. In my estimation, all tobaccos used are of a high quality. Packs, lights, and smokes beautifully.

One interesting note is the alleged flavor-consistency difference between the tin, and the bulk. I have only ever purchased in bulk. Immediately transferring the 3/4 crumble-cake and 1/4 rubbed-out strands I receive to a hermetically-sealed jar. I'm interested to try the tinned blend to investigate any differences. Regardless of whether purchased in bulk or tin NO ONE has ever complained of dryness in this blend. There is just enough moisture in the cake to provide a consistent, slow-burning smoke with minimal relights.Towards the end of the bowl, there does tend to be a buildup in the bottom, though nothing detrimental, and easily managed with a pipe tool.

Great flavor, just enough spice to keep it interesting. The pouch aroma is incredibly strong, and also fresh, in my case. There is some casing but nothing which detracts, and in fact adds perfect sweetness. One downside is that you MIGHT have to take this blend outside to accommodate family and house guests. The room note is strong, smoky, and not favored by the ladies.

MR is revered by many, as are most of SPC's blends, for good reason. This is a must try for any English lover, or new pipe enthusiast looking to diverge from aromatics.

pauliepipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pauliepipes (3)

I learned about Mississippi River by watching you tube videos. I purchased this from Pipes&Cigars.com. At the same time I was smoking Frog Morton's Across the Pond. I found amazing similarities between the two. With both tobaccos I enjoyed them very much. I tasted a really nice tea like flavor on the tongue with a tad sweetness. These tobaccos were reminiscent a fine English teas.

One downside was that I purchased 4 oz bulk and did not see any real evidence of Krumble Kake. Maybe I will need to try a tin? Thumbs up to Joe Lankford the blender. Great job!

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Currently, my second favorite pipe tobacco. My initial purchase was an eight oz. bag, bought strictly from all the glowing praise by Youtube reviewers. They were not wrong!

This tobacco does everything well. It packs and lights easily. It exhibits a consistently wonderful rich flavor from the start to the end of the bowl. I find myself PUFFING this tobacco aggressively. Pleasant taste, enjoyable nose exhale, an even burn, plentiful smoke, nicotene buzz - you name it, this tobacco has everything needed to be great. Taste? Sweet Virginia, just the right amount of Latakia, Perique, and Oriental. The is a dessert smoke!

I pair this with a strong cup of coffee or an iced coffee. Puffed hard, this blend will put one back in their chair, with a moderate nicotene buzz. It reminds me a little of Dunhill Nightcap in that respect. I find it to be a very relaxing smoke, that burns well for over an hour, and always ends too soon. Only a white ash remains. A VERY rewarding smoke. HIGHLY recommended for English lovers beginner or veteran. 4 stars all day long.

Kevin Terrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevin Terrell (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I had high hopes for this tobacco. Everyone and there mom talks about it on YouTube. I had to try it!

From the moment i opened the bag to smell it I was blown away. I shoved some in my pipe. From charring to dumping the ash all my expectation where beyond surpassed a few times over. This is a wonderful and fantastic blend. Virginia's - This is a Virginia heavy blend. If you don't like virginia this might turn you off. For myself, I love me some virginia.

Latakia - Latakia, to be honest, indeterminate me. It's not my favorite by any means. But the way the latakia is blended is beautiful. It is a very intelligent contrast between the sweet and smokey. It really finds in well. Even if you hate Latakia you'll love this blend.

Perique - It isn't strong but's is not week either. I think it's is the perfect amount. It's just enough so there is there a slight, and very enjoyable spicy edge.

Oriental - I don't really know much about Oriental. I am assuming they are there for a good reason.

I really dig the Krumble Kake. It's different but in a good way. Rub a bit and you're good to go.

In summary, there isn't one thing I dislike about Mississippi River. This is by far my favorite tobacco. I can never get enough. If you're considering ordering some, do it!

larryjly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
larryjly (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Had a second bowl today, which was better than the first. This is a remarkable smoke for both veteran and novice pipe smokers. Like the Three Bears porridge this blend is not too hot, or too cold, but just right!

Neither the Latakia, or Perique is dominanat, but you can tell that they're there. For the novice smoker interested in English type blends, this is a good place to start. The krumble kake cut is also a nice intro to flake type tobacco without all the fuss and bother. The blend is a low maintenance smoke requiring few if any relights,and the flavor becomes more pronounced half way through the bowl with little bite or bitterness. Wonderful stuff, and a very comfortable smoke.

In my rotation at #5...glad I tried it.

Mentally Distubed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mentally Distubed (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

This is the best tobacco iv smoked its gust such a woundefull cocoa flaver.As long as you buy it by the tin.I'v tryed buying it in bulk fromand pipesandcigars.com and it's a gamble somtimes tasting terrable.

I LOVE this blend must try for ever pipe smoker.

smitty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smitty (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I use to smoke aromatics and was never fully satisfied. then I decided to get some of this highly talked about blend. I ventured my way into virginia's and loved them. I got my tin of mississippi river and smoked a bowl and I have never smoked such an amazing blend before. This blend features such an amazing balance of virginia's, latakia, oriental leaf, and perique tobacco. beyond it's smokey smell from it's tin, it has an amazing taste. it has a creamy smoke with no tongue bite what so ever. As you continue to smoke it you encounter a pleasant sweetness sweeping across your tongue. This blend also does not burn hot at all. This blend went form being one blend in my tobacco rotation to being the only tobacco I tend to smoke. I find my self always going to it for a great smoke and is always a great smoke for any mood or occasion. This blend makes great for an all day smoke and easily out does all of my other tobaccos. I highly recommend this blend to every pipe smoker. If you like virginia tobaccos and english blends then this blend should definitely amaze you.

Gehniss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gehniss (1)

This is my first venture into the crumble cake, I have been wanting to try blockade runner and so this was recommended by the gentleman at the Tacoma tinderbox. Please excuse the comments of this novice...

I found it to be a wonderful smoke. The overall taste seems very good however my palate is rather dull due to years of MREs and tobasco sauce. I have a partially functioning nose though, and this is where my appreciation came into play. As I develope a more knowledgable appreciation of the blend I hope to revisit this review.

Simply put, I have to ration this as I gave a fair amount to a coworker in china and there is no more to be purchased here for awhile. I do not believe it an appropriate choice for the novice, but if you're brave, give it a try.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (36)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I've given this a few days for my palette to adjust and the flavors really came through. This is a smoother, silkier version of C&D Mississippi Mud. The fruity chocolaty taste is there and I love it.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (109)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Somehow I find this blend much less than what I expected. The latakia is added so less that you can hardly make it out, and the main leading is virginia and some unknown additive casing. Good crumble flake presentation with excessive stiky moisture. When those different tobaccos mix together, this becomes a mess rather than in harmony. An overrated blend in my book. Worth a try but never get into my rotation.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Seattle Pipe Club - Mississippi River.

Another blend I acquired in a recent trade with Gentleman Zombie; Franck, you've made my day again! I haven't been as excited over opening a blend since I obtained Haunted Bookshop on a previous trade and I've not been as satisfied since my first bowl of Black Frigate; it's such a shame it's unavailable to us in the U.K!

I adore krumble Kakes, I love how tactile they are and this scores even higher marks than usual as it's not just one or two blocks in the tin, there's a mixture of big and small blocks with some of the blend being broken so it's loadable straight away. The colour's mainly dark brown, there are some light and dark specks but as a whole it's dark brown. Just the tin note alone hits the spot, it's very satisfying! Due to the tin being quite spacious my mixture's breathed a little and the room inside has aided some of the kake in breaking up to a smokeable texture, so lets move onto the actual smoke:

My, oh my; this is the apotheosis of satisfaction! There's masses of thick smoke with a deep, rich and buttery flavour; it's very luxurious. I simply love it! Unlike a few other folks I struggle to detect any form of topping, I get a slightly fruity, slightly woody, slightly grassy and slightly sweet taste but I'd expect all that to hail from the tobacco's used. The one expected flavour which eludes me is any smokiness from the Latakia, albeit it says it only includes a smidgen! The nicotine quantity is very agreeable, for me; just enough to be identified yet nowhere near enough to turn my guts! And finally, we have the burn: steady, cool, even and leaves a fine white ash; perfect.

I can't recommend this highly enough; this steals the crown of 'the worlds best tobacco' from Black Frigate for me!

Highly recommended

A million star blend!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Fuoco 320KS

Purchased From: A trade with Gentleman Zombie... THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (59)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is amongst the sweetest non-aromatics available. The Virginias are abundantly sweet and tangy. The Turkish leaf is woody and slightly sour. The Latakia and Perique are subtle but give smokey and fig flavors. Every component combines to create a sugary tart desert like smoke. Definitely worthy of a spot in the cellar.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (76)

Like Plum Pudding, Mississippi River is a nice crumble cake tobacco. The dominant tin aroma was rather vinegry with a sweet edge. Again, I believe there might be some sort of topping, but it is less evident than in PP. I have to be honest and admit that the vinegar note prevented me from being able to identify the other components. As the tobacco was fairly moist so I had to wait some before being able to smoke some. When smoking, I could tell I was dealing with virginias and some kind of topping but, if anything, I can't tell that there is Latakia or orientals in there. Or maybe there are there as, at times, I am not sure if I am smoking a virgina forward blend, or not. In summary, MR is something different, yes, but, because of what I perceive as a "confusion" of flavours, it is not positively different for me to want to buy more in the future.

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (27)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Remember that scene in Ratatouille in which Remy experiences mixing favors? This blend will make you feel like that. This is a delightful mix of various characters that creates something new and unique.

Producing plenty of creamy smoke right off the bat, Mississippi River constantly delivers a sweet and spicy mix with a nice finish, leaving you with a pleasant suggestion of berry flavor in your palate.

I sampled it at a Seattle Pipe Club meeting, where the tin had been open for a couple of hours. The tobacco seems to be a bit on the moist side, but presented no issues in keeping it lit. No bite either. Very easy to rub and pack.

Pipe Used: Peterson System 312

Purchased From: Seattle Pipe Club

Deckard Cain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deckard Cain (5)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

A can of this arrived in the mail this week. I've been very anxious to try it. I opened all my new can cans last night, and miss river definitely had the most pleasant note. (The others were Dubar, and Quiet nights. Both heavy lat blends.) The smell from the can is mild and fresh. Leathery , flora, and a little bit like something eatable . It was in slices the size of a silver dollar pancake. Very soft, moist, and crumbly, like perfect chocolate cake. I smoked a bowel today and liked it immensely. I read that it had the habit of turning to dust if rubbed out to much. Mine was moist enough that it was impossible. All loose pieces of shake could be picked up with fingers and returned to tin. Meaning ribbons are large and soft. It packed easily and stuck together well. Took 4 lights, a lot for me, but baccy was moist with no dry time. Also I tend to use a soft hand with the match. I hate burning extra baccy with a long and saturating flame, that brings out bad flavors by burning above necessary temps. Back to the miss river. Once lit, it stayed lit till bowel was complete . Did tamp once. The smoke is thick, perfect for smoke rings. It smells wonderful too. The room note is sweet and pleasing, but clearly not an aromatic. It also has a very nice musty smell that makes it seem old fashion. And any seasoned pipe smoker could smell the quality from across a room. This tobaccos room note seams to reveal a lot about the blend, which is not common. But not useful either.

This blend is rich. It has a creaminess that coats your tongue. It is warm and sweet, but also has a savory side like perfectly salted soup. You will taste it continually while it is on your pallet, but gone immediately when you blow the smoke out. The perike is noticeable and punctuates each puff. The latakia is more hidden, but comes out when you neglect your pipe. Set your pipe down for a minute, then do a few quick puffs to revive the burn. Thats when you'll the find the latakia. A tiny bit of incense, perfect. No tongue bit at all. A very easy tobacco to smoke and enjoy. But for anyone who looks a little deeper there is a ton of character to explore here. This is an all day smoke. I love the lat blends, and proper english. But I will ne adding this to my rotation.

Didn't notice much nicotine, but I never really do. Not even with heavy hitters like Nightcap. I do not inhale my pipe tobacco because its not enjoyable. I smoked cigs at one point in my life.

Update 4-16-16

Im still enjoying this baccy, but I think its really an aromatic. There is no nic here at all, and it should be remembered that nic is the most traditional reason to smoke a pipe. It seams heavily cased, and is super mild. This is an excellent beginners tobbaco. But calling it an english blend is kinda silly.

Pipe Used: New cob

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Frog morton.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (170)

I am finally finishing up this tin, and I must say, I think it gets better and better. Usually Lat blends of this genre don't benefit from aging, but this being a Va forward blend it has aged nicely. The Va's have become much sweeter and balanced with the Latakia. The Perique does make itself known when exhaling through the nose. I have always loved the sour/sweet Virginia tobaccos from McClelland, and this is what makes this blend so special. I like to smoke this as I ease out of the summer VaPer's and make my way into the fall English blend rotation. Pick up a tin, you wont be disappointed.

Pipe Used: several

Age When Smoked: 2013

Johnstraus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnstraus (1)
Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Absolutely awful. Tastes like perfume and very chemically.

Not something I can recommend.

I bought both the 2 oz tins and the 8 oz tins from every time it was produced in the past year and I always got the same results regardless of the pipe used.

0 out of 5 stars for me.

Pipe Used: All sorts.

Age When Smoked: Aged and fresh.

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

bobbysmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobbysmokes (15)

I first tried this at the 2015 Chicago Pipe Club and immediately fell in love. The part I liked the best about this smoke is the aftertaste is the best I have had to date. I did not find the latakia off putting as I have found with other blends but I do not have the advanced palate of others.

I plan on making this a top tobacco in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Danger Rhodesian Bulldog

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Sample at the Chicago Pipe Show from Seattle Pipe Club

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)

Ok ladies and gentleman SPC and Mississippi River are highly recommended by most. I recently just got two 2 oz tins of this from pipes and cigars and needless to say I should have bought more. This crumble mess is just such a great smooth and tasty smoke. The tobacco is actually fun to work with but does leave a little goop on your fingers. The light is pretty simple and after a false light stays lot very well. This is a very slow burning blend and will last you a good hour with a moderate bowl size. The taste of this tobacco is very sweet and about mid bowl you will notice a salty taste to this. I absolutely loved this blend so much it made my main 5 rotation. I say 5 stars for sure but 4 is all I got.

jifunkera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jifunkera (2)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Not much more needs to be said that hasnt been said about this tobacco already. It is amazing. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, particularly because I am a newbie.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

pipeguywes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeguywes (1)

I smoked this for the first time today. I am mostly an aromatic smoker. I like my black Cavendish but also like to try other tobacco's from time to time. the reviews on this one were so good that I bought two ounces. Upon lighting it I was surprised at how smooth it was. I liked it right from the beginning and felt very satisfied smoking it. It tasted the same to me from start to finish and burned like a charm in my older GBD. This tobacco lives up to the hype and I will be buying more right away. This tobacco will become part of my regular rotation along with by black Cavendish and my Lane1Q

Pipe Used: GBD

cavendishes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cavendishes (7)

This blend upon opening the tin reeked of bbq. It reminded me of a Kansas city bbq sauce actually. This was a bit off putting as i have never really smelled that in a blend before, but as you know, the tin note and flavor are often quite different. This aroma settled down after a day or two, and it smelled more like a sweet and smoky english blend.

My first attempt at this blend was after a bowl of McClelland's Balkan Blue, which I LOVE! This was a really bad decision, because all I could taste was Virginias after the Balkan. It was actually kinda gross and I was disappointed. I decided to try it again the next day on it's own, and I'm glad I did. The second time around was much more pleasant and worthwhile, though still not really what I was hoping for. It's still decidedly a Virginia forward blend as far as I can tell, but the Orientals and Latakia start to build around mid bowl and create a very interesting, sweet and smokey flavor that is quite complex and satisfying . . . for a Virginia. That being said, it's not really my favorite flavor profile as the Virginia's tend to dominate, at least to my palate.

Another downside to this blend for me is that it is quite wet, and does not dry out very readily. I let a bowl full sit out on the tin lid for 3 hours and it was still almost as moist as when I pulled it from the tin. It may have some propylene glycol or some other moisture preserver mixed in, I'm not sure, but I ended up zapping it in the micro for about 15 seconds to get it to the moisture level that I wanted, which worked like a champ.

It burns medium hot once dried, but it's still heavy on the Virginia, so I took it slow. It is not super strong in the nicotine department either, which is a plus for me.

All in all, not my cup of tea, but if you're a Virginia lover looking for something different, this may fit the bill for you. If you're like me and you love Balkans and fuller English blends, this may not be what you're looking for. I am going to cellar the tin I bought and let it mellow out for a few years before I crack it open again. I probably won't buy another tin either.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum straight Billiard

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)

Going through a 2oz bulk sample and I'm really enjoying it. I keep on craving more. The tin note is sweet and stout. The first light and 1st third of the bowl is sweet and savory, the flavor deepening as the bowl evolves. Wonderful changes of flavor from sweet to spicy to earthy and back. The moisture level is perfect fresh out of the bag, it packs and lights easily, nice mouthfeel and decent amount of smoke. I smoke at least a bowl a day of this till my bag is finished and I will definitely stock more of this blend. Five stars without a doubt.

Pipe Used: Group 5 size,all with 9mm filter

Purchased From: 4noggins

The Nothing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Nothing (4)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

having heard such good reviews for SPC Ms River, when I saw a jar of it at a B&M, I had to grab a couple ounces.

In bulk form, this is a mostly rubbed out kake. There are still many good sized chunks in the mix, though, and that gives me a good idea of how it comes in tin form. It smells of damp earth and sweet leather, with some initial smokiness from the Latakia. The weed color ranges from dark amber to almost black.

The first bowl was exquisite--sweet with a hint of spice. The flavors were mellow, but every sip off the pipe seemed to be a bit different. Dried apricot, plum, sugar cane, white pepper. It was ever evolving.

After that first bowl, others have been similar, but I seem to find it more and more disappointing. I wish this blend had more body, as I find it to be a fairly mild tasting blend. It's fine first thing in the morning, but fails to live-up later in the day when I need something a little more.

I will keep Mississippi River in rotation, but relegated to days that I've been without a pipe for awhile and I can enjoy the mellow flavors that this tobacco has to offer

Pipe Used: Cobs, Stanwell, Meers

Age When Smoked: 3mo

Purchased From: Tinder Box, Tacoma, WA

wmf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmf (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Solid 3.5 stars. Tin note and flavor for me are one in the same. Broad Virginia dynamic with a touch of spice and baking bread muddling through in a good way. Be careful not to rub it out too much and MR will carry you away. Natural sweetness, creamy flavor, and a great companion to my Rick Black poker. Buy the big tin!

Pipe Used: Rick Black poker

Aegis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aegis (2)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

When I first received Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River I had mixed feelings. The tobacco seemed "moist" and dense and I didn't know how it would smoke. After a few bowls and a little packing experimentation, I really began to enjoy the blend and found myself returning to it. It's a great tobacco if you want a long, slow smoke with a mild taste and a pleasant room note for a English blend. Be warned you will be doing a little more relighting than you might be used to, but it is worth it.

Pipe Used: Briar - Prince

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)

This is a krumble kake that breaks up very easily so don't let that stop you from trying it. It is absolutely a Virginia forward blend with all other components playing only a supporting role, at least to my taste. While Plum Pudding is Latakia forward here it plays a very small role as does the perique. It is very tasty without ever biting or turning sour. There is nicotine present but unless you get carried away with puffing it will not bother you.

Subtle sweetness with a dark chocolate overtone is present but does not strike me as artificial in anyway. A very enjoyable tobacco and ages well, that is if you have the will power to age. My tobacco ages from the first bowl to the last, however long that takes. I have no trouble smoking Mississippi River upon it's arrival. I first tried it tinned two or three years ago and now buy it bulk and transfer it to a jar.

Pipe Used: Tinsky Panel

Age When Smoked: fairly new

SmokeABowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeABowl (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There is nothing I can comment on that hasn't already been said. But, I am a big Frog Morton fan. and although this is a bit milder than most F.M. blends, I, like others, can't get enough of the stuff. This is my new go to tobacco. looking forward to trying Plumb Pudding.

Pipe Used: Vauen

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Frog Morton blends..

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I got this in bulk and I didn't think it was a crumble cake. It was well-rubbed out, or had crumbled into ribbons, when I got it from the jar. It has that unnatural waxy moisture that polyethylene glycol adds to a blend, and the sweetness that PG seems to add. The blend is cased more heavily than most of my usual smokes. Despite being very moist, it lights and burns easily.

The flavor is almost light-English, dominated by the Virginias. It is a little bitey. There is a medium-high dose of nicotine which was unexpected, and was present from the beginning. It is a pleasant smoke. I won't go out of my way to get it, but when I am in the Seattle area, I might pick up a couple of ounces.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great smoke, very flavorful, a worthy addition to the Balkan style blends on the market. It's a perfect example of a nice Balkan. I agree with Steelcowboy, it is best rubbed out and dried a bit. It smokes in a very well balanced manner with the Virginians, Orientals and Latakia on par. The Parique was alive but in the background.

Gripsholm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gripsholm (22)

Mississippi River is an auburn colored krumble kake with specs of tans and blacks. It’s soft and moist and crumbles very easily. I let it dry out a bit before I actually tried smoking it.

I have to agree with a lot of the other reviews in that the tin note is McKetchup. The ketchup aroma that I so often smell in the McCelland Virginia flakes.

Matured Red Virginias, Matured Red Virginias, Matured Red Virginias. For me this tobacco is all about the sweet slightly nutty flavor of the matured Red Virginias. The smokiness of the Latakia presented itself every once in awhile but was very mild and most of the time undetectable. The same is true for the tang of the Perique, very mild, every once in awhile, and mostly undetectable. Someone who doesn’t usually smoke English blends or VaPers might be able to detect the Latakia or Perique better than I could.

The sweet slightly nutty flavor of Mississippi River almost reminds me of some of the Burley blends that I’ve tried. I know it sounds a little odd comparing Mississippi River to Burley blends, but that is how it tasted for me. Just to be sure that I wasn’t being ghosted I tried several different pipes, even a bran spanking new corn cob, and for me the major flavor was pretty consistent, sweet and slightly nutty, very much like Burley.

Pipe Used: New Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year old tin

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars.com

Similar Blends: Burley blends or other blends where matured Red Virginias are dominant.

hiltanzil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hiltanzil (7)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Well i hate to say but i'm kind a dissapointed about this tobacco. The tin smells buttery, with hint of chocolate and a very slight of rum notes. For the first smoke until half of the tin left and a couple of pipe that i used, i still don't get it why this tobacco has a very good review. When i smoke this blend it taste very creamy, an artificial sweet with a slight of nic kick and no taste of tobacco at all. It taste so boring. After i reach the half of the bowl a slight note of chocolate has came out. It packs well and easy but it seems i cannot reach the dryness that i looking, maybe it has a PG in there. For most peoplw maybe this is a good tobacco but i'm very sorry this is not the blend that i looking for.

Pipe Used: savinelli primo fumo 626 and a gfb calabash pipe

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (23)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Another great tobacco, Tin note is a wonderful 'plummy' rich aroma, the cut I would describe more of a hot pressed cake than a crumble cake of which a lot of the cake had already separated without having to crumble, which was fine. the tin I opened was very moist and required a good bit of drying but none of these points derive anything from the fact this is a quality delightful smoke. Latakia is very much a back note to the blend with the dominant flavour being a wonderful rich fruity VaPer. Will become a regular in the rotation, for sure

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 1yr shelved

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Similar Blends: Old dark fired..

The Cardinal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Cardinal (4)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Got the label with Mark Twain on the front. Newer batch I reckon?

Either this is a disappointment or I'm an irredeemable 'Lat-Head'.

Well made. Needs drying. But I suspect I got the batch that has jumped the shark. To be determined.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: None

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Similar Blends: A richer more agreeable, less fussy Virginia Flake..

This turned out to be a much nicer blend than was my initial impression. With two weeks of breathing and a lot of drying, the blend turned out to be a somewhat mild, all day blend, very much in the style of a Peter Stokkebye or Sutliff bulk Balkan product . None of the components overpower, however, I do feel that my tin (not date stamped) requires about a year of additional aging . It's not overly complex ,but then again, it's not boring.

The Krumble Kake pressing, breaks apart with only a touch. This reveals a short shag cut that WILL be easy to over pack, especially from a new tin that has not had 24 hours to dry. DON'T try to smoke this damp, as it will "steam clean" your tongue !

Will I buy again ? Probably not, as the aging and drying time is more than I want to invest on a middle of the road blend ( 2 1/2 stars).

Pipe Used: cob & MM hardwood

Age When Smoked: fresh tin / 2 weeks open

Similar Blends: H&H Anniversary Kake.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (61)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow. There are times when I have a tough go of picking my next smoke, mainly between straight VA, a VaPer, or balkan/english. I love it all, and sometimes it all sounds good...how about a little of everything in one bowl? Enter Mississippi River. This seriously great tobacco, folks. At first smoke, MR catapulted to my top 5 list...if you haven't sampled yet, you should.

It's an attractive crumble flake that effortlessly crumbles to a evenly allocated ribbon cut. Give it 10 or 15 minutes to dry. It seems to taste and smoke great whether fully or partially rubbed out, traditionally packed or gravity filled.There's a wealth of flavors here that marry so seamlessly it's difficult to pick out component flavors. The latakia is so back-seat it's in the trunk, and I don't mind a bit. It gives just a dash of smokiness to the rich sweet and peppery concoction. I've been in the habit of adding a bit of latakia to AnniKake, with varying degrees of success. But SPC nailed it here. Nothing more to add...give it a try, it won't dissappoint.

Pipe Used: MM cobs & Stanwell HCA I

noquarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noquarter (21)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

When i am in the mood for a tobacco with a mild but smoky taste,i either reach out for this or the Frog Morton. I usually end up loading with the FM. I find it complex but wished it was monochromatic since the first third is just wonderful. Would probably be out of my rotation after i'm done with my stash.

PuffPuffKeep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffKeep (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Enough has been said about this blend. All the good is true. Medium in strength coupled with a sweet and smokey flavor make it an exceptional all day smoke. A 3.8 for Mississippi River. Puff ...puff ...keep!!!

Renar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Renar (9)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I was really intrigued to taste this tobacco and then... I'm kind of disappointed. It reminds me a lot of Shortcut to Mushrooms but a little more subtle on aroma. So for me this tobacco is definitely aromatic. And latakia aromatics are very special mixtures, they have to be just right otherwise they are terrible. This one is not terrible, but nothing special. I can feel chemical taste as well. So for me - just passable. Have a lot of more serious tobaccos.

Similar Blends: Just for him Shortcut to Mushrooms, Ruins of Isengard..

THE-GYPSY-SMOKER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THE-GYPSY-SMOKER (3)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

lets make this review simple... the tin not smells like a brand new leather jacket beef jerky ketchup mustard and bbq sauce. as i am smoking it now out of several different pipes the 1st pipe i tried it in was a mr brog lumber jack giant bowled nose warmer stubby poker i also tried it in a savinelli miele honey pipe the non bent version billiard type and a couple different style cobs and what ever you smoke this in you will get ghosting no matter what i tried it in. so i went out and grabbed me a cheap 25$ pipe either a grabo or a medico and this stuff smokes great! its a all day smoker don't listen to all thes other ppl online telling you it tastes like cookies its not a aromatic lol it tastes like...well tobacco its mellow woodsy earthy im not gonna lie every body tastes are different just because you watched reviewers on youtube like jayson dagner and aristocob etc. don't mean you will love it to its all apples and oranges it depends on what your into dunhills are a upper class english tastes the way mississippi river is your upper class redneck tastes with blends like dunhills you sit back infront of the fireplace with a good book and a churchwarden long stem pipe strong and suttle with mississippi river your by the campfire cleaning your mossburg shotgun ready for action smoking in your shorty clenched in your jaw i personally love em all. happy pipe smoking y'all side note all i gotta say is try a 1oz sample you might not be dissatisfied im guessing theres a big reason why its always sold out everywhere

Pipe Used: mr brog lumberjack savinelli miele

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: boswells northwoods.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)

Finally I got some. I had to try it after Joe Case said it was so good. I tried to get some for a while but it's always sold out. Nevertheless, I'm happy to add this to my library. I took it from the bag and jarred it right away. The "tin" note is interesting. Some report bbq, I smelled good old hienz ketchup. I like the chunkiness of this blend. Dark and crumbly. It's a pleasure to smoke. I find the balance of the smokiness goes very well with the sweetness of natural maturing.

I agree that there is a likeness to Caramelized sugar. I will definitely get a pound for aging. It can only be better with some maturing.

Pipe Used: Pete's, cobs, other briars

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (28)

Absolutely great smoke from the beginning to end. This one really lived up to the hype, and I can buy it in bulk. Happy piping!

gerryliao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gerryliao (4)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Not so bad as a VP blend. Smooth somehow bored. Can't taste Latakia, only slight hint. Very smoky. Left gunky things in the bowl. Highly casing of sugar?

Pipe Used: Ashton Pebble Grain

Age When Smoked: 45

Similar Blends: Orlik's Golden Sliced.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (163)

MR is a good English blend, but not one I will purchase again. The flavor is monochromatic and boring to me. The nicotine level is more than I can tolerate and there is a salty taste from start to finish. It deserves three stars for it's unique character and that's what I will give it.