Mississippi River is a smooth, medium blend of pressed red and stoved Virginia tobaccos with a unique balance of Louisiana Perique and Cyprian Latakia which makes this krumble kake tobacco a complex and rich smoke with a lovely sweet finish that lingers nicely on the palate. This Seattle Pipe Club Blend was created by our master blending guru, Joe Lankford, and is now being blended and offered for sale by our friends at pipesandcigars.com. A major hit with members who like Virginias and/or English blends - very gentle on the tongue for an all day smoke.

Notes: Smooth, creamy, rich, lightly smoky and appropriately sweet, with hints of dried fruits and a touch of dark chocolate.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Blended ByPipesandCigars.com (blend created by Joe Lankford)
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 or 8 oz tins - Also available in bulk.
Strength
Taste

mimefrog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mimefrog (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This review is from a purchase of Mississippi River in September 2013.

I bought 8oz in bulk to split with a friend and it came as 4 big speckled "brownies" with some shake that had fallen off in the plastic bag. I put my 4oz share into a mason jar.

It packs and lights really easily because the crumble cake breaks down into almost a chopped tobacco consistency, ranging from light brown, to auburn, to near black. At first, I didn't get what the fuss was all about ... it was so tasteless in my Sav pot (very wide not deep chamber), I thought maybe everyone who raves about this stuff was crazy or I had gotten a bum batch.

Then I tried it in a deep, narrow bowled Sasieni and it was a whole different thing altogether. Its still mild, body-wise, and its pretty much a morning/daytime smoke for me. But its got a lot going on in terms of flavor (in the right pipe). I occasionally have to keep myself from absentmindedly inhaling it because its just that easy smoking. That almost never happens with VA flake tobaccos I generally smoke.

Good stuff. Get it if you can because geez it sells out fast.

EDIT: smoking it a few months later a description came to mind to describe the sweetness ... its like the caramelized edge of a chocolate chip cookie. Yum.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (48)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a superb blend and a go to top shelfer for me. Love the balance in this blend. Absolute all dayer English blend. Just the right amount of spice from the orientals and enough smokiness from the Latikia to keep me interested but not so much that it extinguishes the sweetness of the Virginia's. If you're a new pipe smoker or new to English blends you should try this. This will always be a part of my rotation for sure!

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs dedicated to English blends

Purchased From: pipesandncigars.com

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is simply awesome! Not being a fan of Latakia, I shied away from this blend despite all the rave reviews of it. Finally giving in to peer pressure, I ordered a tin. Amazing... The Latakia smokiness is prominent at first light, but quickly fades into the background( which is great for me). What remains is a sweet, caramelized sugar flavor from the Virginias, with just a tiny hint of smoke. The only bad part of this blend was when I reached the bottom of the bowl and realized it was gone.

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Riff Raff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Riff Raff (2)

I was pleasantly surprised by this tobacco. I was expecting the typical english blend from the description on here. This rings more closely to a Va/Per. The spicey, sweet, cool smoke is intoxicating. The complexity of flavors changes throughout the bowl which makes this blend even more appealing to me. There is the underlying Latakia leathery and smokey notes, but you can't help but me enthralled with the spicey sweetness of the Virginias and Perique.

This is definately a must have for me.

Pipe Used: Mastro De Paja, Peterson, Nording, GBD

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Pilotpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilotpuffer (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Unnoticeable

This is my fist posting on this forum, however, I and my wife have enjoyed pipe smoking since 2002. We found ourselves getting back into pipe smoking in the last few months and this has been an interesting experience. During my quest to “get current” with the tobaccos blends and the general hobby/lifestyle, I started looking at YouTube and reading this forum, as well as cruising the internet and my chatting up my local B&M tobacconists. The Seattle Pipe Club blends have certainly received some nice write-ups and accolades, so I took a chance from Pipes and Cigars and ordered a sample of 4 oz.’s of MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

Ok, on to my notes concerning SPC Mississippi River -

Taste: Excellent flavor of the initial light and first few puffs. I could immediately taste the Latakia and the smooth VA and the Orientals. The Perique hid the back until about mid bowl and then I caught the taste in subtle manner. The Orientals seemed more pronounced to me than the Latakia throughout the bowl. All together I think it is a mild to medium English blend with some unusual spicy smoothness and a faint brandy note. This mix never had a bite and was consistent in taste. I just can’t figure out the secret flavor that makes this blend so unique tasting. Is it the pressing? Nice finish with no lingering unexpected flavors.

Mixture: The mixture was smooth and well balanced all the way to the dottle. I really appreciate the married flavors that did not compete with each other or change as the smoke progressed. Again, is it the pressing and resulting marriage of the components that adds this nice touch?

Texture; My sample came as a solid brick! There was “some assembly required” to get the weed in a smokable condition. Others have commented that there is no known casing, but the moisture content was high after breaking the cake. I let it dry for an hour or two on a clean poster board before placing in a glass air-tight jar. After that I’ve had no issues with the moisture content.

Smoking notes: I lit nicely and stayed lit with normal sipping. I didn’t have to honk on the mixture to keep it lit. As other have stated, it finishes in a nice white ash. Reminds me of EMP in that respect. Great smoke with limited aggravation to my nose.

Summation for the jury: I really like this blend and plan to keep it in my regular rotation I prefer English and Balkan mixtures in general, but this SPC blend stands apart from most all that I usually enjoy. I think it is the uncommon smoothness and unique flavor for this type of blend. Additionally, with my Dunhill favorites I do not have the added task of rubbing out the blend.

Recommended.

P.S. I have many blends that have been cellared for over ten years that I will be sampling in the coming months. Some of these well-known international blends are no longer being produced or distributed. Stay tuned.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Spigot - MAPS 2002 Pipe

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (36)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I had no idea what to expect with this one, especially after having just smoked a tin of it stable mate Plum Pudding. So, I popped the tin and saw a mélange of pieces of a rather dark and mottled tobacco that looked like an irregularly rubbed-out flake. My initial sniff test caused me to think - what? It smelled like several things all at the same time; but, mainly sweet and somewhat spicey and, yes, latakia. The semi-flakes rubbed out easily and the loading and lighting was also easy. The sweetness seemed subdued during smoking and the frequently encountered English pair of tobaccos, latakia and perique, played nicely together. All in all, a rather pleasant smoke that I enjoyed; however, I don't see it as a mainstay blend. I have been including it in my English microblends to great success and enjoyment.

What we have here is, in essence, an aromatic English. I have no problem recommending it to smokers for both smoking and blending. Three stars.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars ELX half bent cognac billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Pembroke, but much milder flavoring.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)

Nice, dark crumble cake with inviting tin notes of plum, leather, and a background aroma that would be familiar to Copenhagen dippers (although that last one dissipates with a little drying time).

Needs some tending and an occasional relight, but burns well overall.

Some nice spicy and earthy notes from the orientals, but the Virginias are still very much in front. Personally find them a little thin in the smoke and taste departments, and the flavor is a bit too much like a (quality!) cigarette.

Nicotine level is pretty solid.

Similar, but doesn't quite measure up, to Pebblecut or Tudor Castle, imo. (And those two are a lot easier to get your hands on!) But fans of these types of VA-oriental blends will almost certainly enjoy this. It's pretty damn good for the genre, just not my cup of tea.

Similar Blends: McClelland Ashton Revival Pebblecut, McClelland Tudor Castle.

robsm2013 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robsm2013 (6)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I know everyone raves about this one due to all the positive publicity on youtube, and it does have a nice flavor profile, however, I just find this one way too mild -

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Comparing this to Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, I would have to say that the presence of the Perique, for me, was the dominant factor. Also, if you like your tobacco salty, neither will disappoint.

The presentation in the tin was similar to Plum Pudding, but the tobacco was not as brick-like. It was much easier to prepare Mississippi River for smoking. I could not detect any aromatic presence once I opened the tin, nor could I detect the presence of the Latakia. I did detect the presence of the musty Perique, but during the smoke, none of the Perique's flavor - just salt. It took to the match with ease and I had no trouble keeping it lit. Not a hot smoke, and very nondescript. All I tasted was salt and no tobacco - something I certainly wasn't expecting after reading the other reviews. At times I did detected a mild sweetness, but none of the fruity presence mentioned in the above description. For me, the Perique was so dominant (more salt than pepper) that I could not honestly detect the taste of any of the other tobaccos said to be in this blend.

Nothing in this one for me to cry out about. I will finish my 2 ounce tin over time, but unless things change, I won't be revisiting it. I have been wanting to try it and I am glad I did, with perhaps a slight preference for Mississippi River over Plum Pudding. Neither will make it into my rotation. In both cases, I was actually looking for more of a fruity sweetness to go with the Latakia. I recommend it with 2 stars for what it is - a mild, sweet Virginia with a little spice.

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have ordered this tobacco several times. When I bought it in bulk it was almost a fully rubbed out kake, the 2oz tin was small pieces of kake, and the 8oz tin had two large beautiful chunks of kake. I much prefer the fully intact kake, if only for aesthetic reasons. This has become one of my favorite tobaccos. The Virginia is prominent, then perique, followed by the slightest hint of latakia. It burns cool and dry, which is always a plus. The room note does not linger which makes it one of my wife's favorites as well. An easy going all day smoke that an experienced smoker can appreciate and could serve as a good transition smokle for an OTC tobacco smoker to higher quality blends.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 1-2 years

Bulldog8483 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog8483 (5)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Strong

Upon opening the "bag" from Pipes and Cigars, it smells very strong and overwhelming in not a pleasant way. I actually did not care for that initial smell at all. However, while smoking it, that smell is completely overhthrown by the nice woodsy/smokey smell that it exudes. It is certainly a nice change of pace from when I switch between something like this and some of my favorite "go to" aromatic blends. It's not cheap (3 ounces for $20 with shipping) and I have a hard time buying a lot of it for that reason, but it is worth a try in my opinion given the smoothness of the it.

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog Amigo 51, MM Corn Cob and a Dr. Grabow

Age When Smoked: Bulk, directly from the bag

Similar Blends: Boswell's Northwoods.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Looks great smells great taste way to mild and gunk's my pipes up and never I repeat never dries out on the self in an open tin for over a year don't know what they case this stuff with but I think its what they use in most McClelland English blends because I have this problem with them too

Hook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hook (2)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am a Virginia smoker. I love a great Virginia. Of the three Seattle Club blends, this is my favorite. If you like a nice base of red Virginia, this should hit the spot. The slow burn of this tobacco keeps it nice and cool for a Virginia blend. Just enough Perique and Latakia to give it a touch of spice. Definitely not a mundane blend. For the Virginia smoker a must try.

Aegis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aegis (2)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

When I first received Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River I had mixed feelings. The tobacco seemed "moist" and dense and I didn't know how it would smoke. After a few bowls and a little packing experimentation, I really began to enjoy the blend and found myself returning to it. It's a great tobacco if you want a long, slow smoke with a mild taste and a pleasant room note for a English blend. Be warned you will be doing a little more relighting than you might be used to, but it is worth it.

Pipe Used: Briar - Prince

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

Yeah this is it, a smooth, mellow, and fragrant smoke finally I found it at this remarkable blend. It came with a bulk package on a huge flip plastic with a well printed sticker and when I open the flip the smell is very good, a slight virginia well mixed with perique, oriental and latakia it's smells very good. With a good moisture level and nice to pack it directly into the bowl without wind it up.

The first draw is excellent, smokey fragrant from the pine I guess came with a good peppery and spice fulfil my mouth and stick well in to the palate. The raisin and plum scene came very nice in to my tongue and the taste is sweet and mellow. Not a harsh kick or a quick bomb, it just a gentle increasing taste. It burns well at my pipe, not juicy and easy to keep the flame on. And at the half of the bowl, the taste and flavor are steady, slowly increase it taste to be a little bit stronger but still smooth and mellow. I really enjoy the journey with this blend untill finish, until I smoke it in to the bottom of the bowl of my pipe.

I had finished a bulk of this remarkable blend and sure want to buy this stuff again. There is no tongue bite even I smoke it 3 - 4 times a day and I smoke it every day untill I finish the whole bulk. Just love this blend very much want to make this blend as my daily smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Oscar Aged Briar 111 KS

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The first thing I noticed when I opened the bulk bag is the smell of a mild, sweet BBQ sauce. Similar to the McKetchup smell, but not the same. The sweet part of the smell was akin to molasses.

After lighting, the Virginias took the lead and held it for 2/3s of the bowl. The Latakia and Orientals were balanced in second place. The Perique was light but discernible. There's an extra bit of sweetness from a casing or topping. There are also some nice fruity notes. In the last third of the bowl the Latakia and Orientals achieve a balance with the Virginias providing a more "traditional" flavor profile which is held to the finish.

An excellent blend. A great, satisfying smoke. Mild to medium in body with medium flavors. Just a great all-around smoking experience. Loved it.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (8)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I ordered this in bulk, and it arrived mostly in loose ribbon cuts with a few chunks of cake. It's way too moist to smoke straight out of the bag so I usually leave a pinch sitting out while I pour a cold one. I knew with my first charring light that I'd be keeping this one around forever. It tastes and smokes consistent down to the bottom of the bowl, and is just plain good. There's alot of big flavor in this blend for being so smooth. Happy Pipe Day !

Pipe Used: I've tried it in all my pipes at least once

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

This is a krumble kake that breaks up very easily so don't let that stop you from trying it. It is absolutely a Virginia forward blend with all other components playing only a supporting role, at least to my taste. While Plum Pudding is Latakia forward here it plays a very small role as does the perique. It is very tasty without ever biting or turning sour. There is nicotine present but unless you get carried away with puffing it will not bother you.

Subtle sweetness with a dark chocolate overtone is present but does not strike me as artificial in anyway. A very enjoyable tobacco and ages well, that is if you have the will power to age. My tobacco ages from the first bowl to the last, however long that takes. I have no trouble smoking Mississippi River upon it's arrival. I first tried it tinned two or three years ago and now buy it bulk and transfer it to a jar.

Pipe Used: Tinsky Panel

Age When Smoked: fairly new

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I just tried this for the first time after reading all the positive reviews I wanted to try it for myself. I ordered a couple ounces in bulk to see if i liked it. Upon opening the bag it smells of rich high quality virgina and slight latakia which coincidentally smells just like ketchup. The crumble cake packs nicely. At first light the latakia pops out a little up front but then blends nicely with the sweet virginia once it gets going. This blend is best sipped to appreciate the full flavor and it will burn cool for a very long time if done so, puff it too fast and it can get mean. All-in-all a good relaxing smoke. I am not a fan of straight virginas but if blended properly with other types and smoked with the right approach they can be quite enjoyable. I may keep some of this on hand due to the fact that it is always sold out and I would like to enjoy a bowl of it from time to time.

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

LargeDomePtomey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LargeDomePtomey (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

It is great stuff. It is as smooth as silk but has a distinct and unique flavor. It is hard to describe. Make sure to sit back and enjoy the whole bowl, the smoke is a journey through a number of different flavors. I get a buttery flavor through the whole bowl. I can't really add anything more to the deserved praise it has already received.

Pipe Used: Country Gentlemen, Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro

Epicurator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicurator (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Ah, Mississippi River.....what a beauty.

It's hard to add anything new to the near-eighty reviews which already abound this forum. Though I must add my approval.

A medium English for sure. A Red Virginia Showcase, if you will, with an artful addition of Perique and Cyprian Latakia in perfect proportions to just spice things up. In my estimation, all tobaccos used are of a high quality. Packs, lights, and smokes beautifully.

One interesting note is the alleged flavor-consistency difference between the tin, and the bulk. I have only ever purchased in bulk. Immediately transferring the 3/4 crumble-cake and 1/4 rubbed-out strands I receive to a hermetically-sealed jar. I'm interested to try the tinned blend to investigate any differences. Regardless of whether purchased in bulk or tin NO ONE has ever complained of dryness in this blend. There is just enough moisture in the cake to provide a consistent, slow-burning smoke with minimal relights.Towards the end of the bowl, there does tend to be a buildup in the bottom, though nothing detrimental, and easily managed with a pipe tool.

Great flavor, just enough spice to keep it interesting. The pouch aroma is incredibly strong, and also fresh, in my case. There is some casing but nothing which detracts, and in fact adds perfect sweetness. One downside is that you MIGHT have to take this blend outside to accommodate family and house guests. The room note is strong, smoky, and not favored by the ladies.

MR is revered by many, as are most of SPC's blends, for good reason. This is a must try for any English lover, or new pipe enthusiast looking to diverge from aromatics.

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (35)

When I first opened this tobacco I really liked the smell. Super concentrated black tea and smoke. The taste is essentially the same and boy is there a lot of it depending on the pipe. Not a "smoke and don't think" blend, because your brain will be busy getting all the tiny flavor differences out of it. One of the best blends I have tried to date.

Pipe Used: Turck's Select Lovat

pauliepipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pauliepipes (3)

I learned about Mississippi River by watching you tube videos. I purchased this from Pipes&Cigars.com. At the same time I was smoking Frog Morton's Across the Pond. I found amazing similarities between the two. With both tobaccos I enjoyed them very much. I tasted a really nice tea like flavor on the tongue with a tad sweetness. These tobaccos were reminiscent a fine English teas.

One downside was that I purchased 4 oz bulk and did not see any real evidence of Krumble Kake. Maybe I will need to try a tin? Thumbs up to Joe Lankford the blender. Great job!

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Currently, my second favorite pipe tobacco. My initial purchase was an eight oz. bag, bought strictly from all the glowing praise by Youtube reviewers. They were not wrong!

This tobacco does everything well. It packs and lights easily. It exhibits a consistently wonderful rich flavor from the start to the end of the bowl. I find myself PUFFING this tobacco aggressively. Pleasant taste, enjoyable nose exhale, an even burn, plentiful smoke, nicotene buzz - you name it, this tobacco has everything needed to be great. Taste? Sweet Virginia, just the right amount of Latakia, Perique, and Oriental. The is a dessert smoke!

I pair this with a strong cup of coffee or an iced coffee. Puffed hard, this blend will put one back in their chair, with a moderate nicotene buzz. It reminds me a little of Dunhill Nightcap in that respect. I find it to be a very relaxing smoke, that burns well for over an hour, and always ends too soon. Only a white ash remains. A VERY rewarding smoke. HIGHLY recommended for English lovers beginner or veteran. 4 stars all day long.

Kevin Terrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevin Terrell (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I had high hopes for this tobacco. Everyone and there mom talks about it on YouTube. I had to try it!

From the moment i opened the bag to smell it I was blown away. I shoved some in my pipe. From charring to dumping the ash all my expectation where beyond surpassed a few times over. This is a wonderful and fantastic blend. Virginia's - This is a Virginia heavy blend. If you don't like virginia this might turn you off. For myself, I love me some virginia.

Latakia - Latakia, to be honest, indeterminate me. It's not my favorite by any means. But the way the latakia is blended is beautiful. It is a very intelligent contrast between the sweet and smokey. It really finds in well. Even if you hate Latakia you'll love this blend.

Perique - It isn't strong but's is not week either. I think it's is the perfect amount. It's just enough so there is there a slight, and very enjoyable spicy edge.

Oriental - I don't really know much about Oriental. I am assuming they are there for a good reason.

I really dig the Krumble Kake. It's different but in a good way. Rub a bit and you're good to go.

In summary, there isn't one thing I dislike about Mississippi River. This is by far my favorite tobacco. I can never get enough. If you're considering ordering some, do it!

larryjly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
larryjly (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Had a second bowl today, which was better than the first. This is a remarkable smoke for both veteran and novice pipe smokers. Like the Three Bears porridge this blend is not too hot, or too cold, but just right!

Neither the Latakia, or Perique is dominanat, but you can tell that they're there. For the novice smoker interested in English type blends, this is a good place to start. The krumble kake cut is also a nice intro to flake type tobacco without all the fuss and bother. The blend is a low maintenance smoke requiring few if any relights,and the flavor becomes more pronounced half way through the bowl with little bite or bitterness. Wonderful stuff, and a very comfortable smoke.

In my rotation at #5...glad I tried it.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I got this in bulk and I didn't think it was a crumble cake. It was well-rubbed out, or had crumbled into ribbons, when I got it from the jar. It has that unnatural waxy moisture that polyethylene glycol adds to a blend, and the sweetness that PG seems to add. The blend is cased more heavily than most of my usual smokes. Despite being very moist, it lights and burns easily.

The flavor is almost light-English, dominated by the Virginias. It is a little bitey. There is a medium-high dose of nicotine which was unexpected, and was present from the beginning. It is a pleasant smoke. I won't go out of my way to get it, but when I am in the Seattle area, I might pick up a couple of ounces.

Mentally Distubed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mentally Distubed (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

This is the best tobacco iv smoked its gust such a woundefull cocoa flaver.As long as you buy it by the tin.I'v tryed buying it in bulk fromand pipesandcigars.com and it's a gamble somtimes tasting terrable.

I LOVE this blend must try for ever pipe smoker.

smitty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smitty (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I use to smoke aromatics and was never fully satisfied. then I decided to get some of this highly talked about blend. I ventured my way into virginia's and loved them. I got my tin of mississippi river and smoked a bowl and I have never smoked such an amazing blend before. This blend features such an amazing balance of virginia's, latakia, oriental leaf, and perique tobacco. beyond it's smokey smell from it's tin, it has an amazing taste. it has a creamy smoke with no tongue bite what so ever. As you continue to smoke it you encounter a pleasant sweetness sweeping across your tongue. This blend also does not burn hot at all. This blend went form being one blend in my tobacco rotation to being the only tobacco I tend to smoke. I find my self always going to it for a great smoke and is always a great smoke for any mood or occasion. This blend makes great for an all day smoke and easily out does all of my other tobaccos. I highly recommend this blend to every pipe smoker. If you like virginia tobaccos and english blends then this blend should definitely amaze you.

Gehniss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gehniss (1)

This is my first venture into the crumble cake, I have been wanting to try blockade runner and so this was recommended by the gentleman at the Tacoma tinderbox. Please excuse the comments of this novice...

I found it to be a wonderful smoke. The overall taste seems very good however my palate is rather dull due to years of MREs and tobasco sauce. I have a partially functioning nose though, and this is where my appreciation came into play. As I develope a more knowledgable appreciation of the blend I hope to revisit this review.

Simply put, I have to ration this as I gave a fair amount to a coworker in china and there is no more to be purchased here for awhile. I do not believe it an appropriate choice for the novice, but if you're brave, give it a try.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great smoke, very flavorful, a worthy addition to the Balkan style blends on the market. It's a perfect example of a nice Balkan. I agree with Steelcowboy, it is best rubbed out and dried a bit. It smokes in a very well balanced manner with the Virginians, Orientals and Latakia on par. The Parique was alive but in the background.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)

Of the three Seattle Pipe Club blends this is my favorite.

Mississippi River, has a distinct balance and very intriguing nuance to my palate. The smokey Latakia, while ever present in flavor and aroma, subtly compliments the interplay of sweet Virginia and spice from the Oriental and Perique in a most wonderful way which is finished off, quite interestingly, with a smooth creamy dark Chocolate note that makes this one a truly unique smoke for me. Being a Krumble Kake, is an additional bonus. A "Treat" tobacco for me which I reach for on occasions when in the mood for a Latakia blend of medium body, yet rich in flavor with a little spice. A great change of pace offering.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A deep, rich looking Krumble Kake that begs to be smoked. I prefer to fully rub it out and let it dry. The Virginia's lead the show here. More sweet than sour, but not overly so. I prefer Plum Pudding by the same blender for a little more Latakia. English lovers that are fond of a stong Virginia component should give this one a try. Recommended.

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)

This blend, originally created by Joe Lankford of the Seattle Pipe Club, is a Krumble Kake and now produced by PipesandCigars.com for the Seattle Pipe Club. I find two rectangular Kakes when I open my 2oz tin, the tin aroma is Oriental/Virginia/Latakia. The flavor is Virginia forward, Oriental and Latakia next with Perique added for spice. This is a delightfully easy-going, all day smoke. The VAs are sweet with just enough Oriental and Latakia to keep me interested and at the end of my bowl longing for more. The Perique is lightly added and enhances the overall smoke. 9 out of 10 stars.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I've given this a few days for my palette to adjust and the flavors really came through. This is a smoother, silkier version of C&D Mississippi Mud. The fruity chocolaty taste is there and I love it.

wmf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmf (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Solid 3.5 stars. Tin note and flavor for me are one in the same. Broad Virginia dynamic with a touch of spice and baking bread muddling through in a good way. Be careful not to rub it out too much and MR will carry you away. Natural sweetness, creamy flavor, and a great companion to my Rick Black poker. Buy the big tin!

Pipe Used: Rick Black poker

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (7)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Absolutely great smoke from the beginning to end. This one really lived up to the hype, and I can buy it in bulk. Happy piping!

SmokeABowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeABowl (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There is nothing I can comment on that hasn't already been said. But, I am a big Frog Morton fan. and although this is a bit milder than most F.M. blends, I, like others, can't get enough of the stuff. This is my new go to tobacco. looking forward to trying Plumb Pudding.

Pipe Used: Vauen

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Frog Morton blends..

gerryliao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gerryliao (4)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Not so bad as a VP blend. Smooth somehow bored. Can't taste Latakia, only slight hint. Very smoky. Left gunky things in the bowl. Highly casing of sugar?

Pipe Used: Ashton Pebble Grain

Age When Smoked: 45

Similar Blends: Orlik's Golden Sliced.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (136)

MR is a good English blend, but not one I will purchase again. The flavor is monochromatic and boring to me. The nicotine level is more than I can tolerate and there is a salty taste from start to finish. It deserves three stars for it's unique character and that's what I will give it.