Extravagant is the right word to characterize this mixture. We have revolutionized the traditional old English art of blending. The main ingredient is the finest spicy smoky Latakia. By adding highly aromatic Black Cavendish, this blend becomes smoother. A small portion of Burley gives a slight toasted aroma, and a pinch of bright Virginia brings a subtle sweet note. Mellow, but yet full-bodied aromas of honey and fruit essences result in a unique flavor. This tobacco will surely be a delight.

BrandSillem's
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.4
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The best English/Aromatic I have ever smoked... hands down.

The tobacco nose from the tin is Latakia. The flavor at the match is robust, smokey and semi-sweet. I can readily taste the casing as well as the "campfire" flavor of the Latakia. Neither overwhelms and the "English" part of the flavor dominated... slightly.

The only drawback (and it is just a personal thing), is lack of strength. Still, for a fun, different and delightful smoke, Sillem's Black is just the ticket.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (37)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Delicious tin note - cherry, chocolate latakia. Like a rich chocolate cake. Slightly bitter smoke, can taste a hint of sweetness through the latakia. The latakia is mild tasting. Very enjoyable especially as a dessert smoke.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum eaton cob

Purchased From: Smoking pipe online

rimchar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rimchar (4)

Granted, latakia and berry casing aren't the most intuitive combination, but Sillem's has managed to work up a very satisfying blend. One that is evocative an old sort of store that carries really fine leather horse tack for English-style riding wherein is mingled the scents of sweet alfalfa hay and various aromatic liniments. Somehow Sillem's has translated this redolence into taste in a delicious, well-behaved and sophisticated aromatic.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There mere fact that this is a latakia based aromatic should tell you that you are in for something profoundly different. The latakia, as the blend notes above denote, is the predominate flavor, and it is wonderful. It looks like latakia and cavendish in the tin, and that is what it smells like, for the most part. The aromatic essence has more of a lakeland quality than anything to my nose, and smokes more "floral" than "berry." It is certainly not overbearing, and does not knock you over like some of the famous English Lakeland aromatics.

I have to disagree with the few reviewers who described this as having an artificial or chemical component. I, like them, can only speculate, but this does not behave like a tobacco which has been treated in that fashion. For one, it is not goopy, and dries very quickly when out of the tin. Second, it does not bite like many cheap aromatics do which have been loaded with sugar and flavors to make them taste like something other than lawn clippings.

It is a cool smoke, and takes a little effort to get it going. Once lit, it burns evenly, with few relights as long as you pay attention. The smoke is rich and voluminous. There is latakia up front, but also the cavendish and VA providing backbone, and that lovely casing which is there in the taste as well as the aroma. It really does not "taste" fruity to me, but that might just be due to the transformative aspects of fire on the blend.

Overall this is very unique, has fine burn qualities, and a wonderful rich flavor.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (132)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I saw this in my local B&M and decided to take a chance on a tin. The first thing I didn't like right after opening is the plastic bag the tobacco is in and the second is the tin doesn't come vacuum packed. So I was surprised when I lit this up and there was not an overpowering taste to it, in fact it is on the underpowering side (if there is such a place). There is no tongue bite and the taste and room note are quite pleasing for the smoker and those nearby. You should get some compliments from passersby. The combination of tobaccos is first rate and whatever they use for a flavoring is done with moderation. It lights and stays lit easily enough and there is a fine ash at the bottom of the pipe when you finish. Overall, recommended.

I don't smoke a lot of aromatics. I was a bit blown away when I tried Sillem's Copenhagen. I really like that one. Thought I'd try this one due to the high ratings and I'm very glad I did.

There is an underlying light English "flavor" that works as a base here. English blends are my favorite so that works well for me. The aromatic flavors are cherry, vanilla, honey, and some other things that I can't quite pick up on. The honey, as any good honey will, has a nice floral note. The sum total is delicious. Very pleasing and enjoyable.

Doesn't have to be dried, but it does burn just a bit better if you do. Mild in body. Mild to medium in taste. The added flavorings are also mild to medium.

As with Copenhagen, it can burn a little warm if you get carried away. I've been known to do that with blends that taste really good. This is a nice addition to my very small stash of aromatics. I'll always keep some of this around. 3+

Pipe Used: MM General

rick5iron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rick5iron (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Quite simply the best tobacco I've had in long time just great.. As others have stated though, put this in a jar because the tin is terrible to keep it in.

Hazzeyd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hazzeyd (6)

I am going to begin by saying I don't really enjoy aromatics, the artificial taste, the sugary sweetness, and those pungent floral scents are not really my cup of tea. I want to taste natural flavors when I smoke something, and aromatics always seem to have two layers to me, the actual tobacco taste and a superficial layer of whatever has been added.

However, as aromatics go this has a lot of flavor to it, a strong full bodied creaminess courtesy of the Latakia and a natural sweetness from the Cavendish, a truly bizarre medley but it seems to work here somehow.

The tin smell is still that ghastly waft you get from aromatics that reminds me of an air freshener in a public restroom, but it calms down and becomes pleasant and well mannered when you actually light it up.

It doesn't seem to burn as hot and definitely bites far less than its other fragrant cousins, and has a good tobacco flavoring. But most importantly, whatever was added to sweeten this manages to incorporate itself well and doesn't just sit on top like a candy crust.

This is still not something I will smoke often or am likely to purchase again, but it is excellent for what is and perhaps something for me to enjoy when I want something different.

This tobacco is different enough to justify trying once for any pipe smoker and a must try, I would imagine, for someone who enjoys Latakias and aromatics.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

FIrst off I am not a latakia fan, but after reading the reviews here decided to give this blend a shot. Like all the blends I have tried with latakia in it, its always overwhelming. Overall this is a pleasant smoke, no bite, burns well, and smells wonderful in the pouch as well as when burning. Well behaved tobacco and if you like latakia then you probably will enjoy this blend. I detected no floral taste, nor chemically taste of any sort. I will cellar this and smoke it on rare occasions when I want a change of pace.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As others have noted, the tin fragrance is similar to toasted marshmallows. The marshmallow taste is greatly diminished while smoking which gives it a subtle quality. Contrary to other reviewer's comments, I could not detect any hint of floral or soapy smell or taste. It is sweet but not cloying or artificial or chemical. This is a unique blend because. although it is sweet and it has latakia like MacBaren's Latakia, it has a delicate, smooth taste. The idea of lat combined with sweet Cavendish seems bizarre but Sillems somehow accomplished it. It can give a slight bite if multiple bowls are smoked continuously but, generally, it is a well behaved blend. Great stuff and deserving of 4 stars.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoked Peterson's Christmas Blend 2011 before this one, and the similarities are glaring. Same berry/fruit/spiced apple note, but Black carries an additional Latakia note that sits well with me, given what I usually smoke.

The Burley in the background can lend a slightly toasty flavor to those looking for it, but I don't detect the Virginia except to say that it is subtly sweet, which I suspect is what they intended.

For all it's nuance and complexity, it is still an aromatic, but a good one.

pipetips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetips (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

I've got it NOW!! For months I have been struggling to determine the predominant note in this tobacco and couldn't put my finger on it until today...its Frankenberry Cereal!! This is my all time favorite smoke, a PURE DELIGHT. It is UNLIKE ANY OTHER AROMATIC you will find. It also has hints of blueberry pop tarts and marshmallow! and A DESSERT TREAT that goes perfectly with a great cup of coffee. WOW! If you have not yet tried SB order a tin ASAP and get ready for something wonderfully DIFFERENT.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Hmm, what to say here...

This was one of the first blends I tried since I started up pipe-smoking again a few months ago. (I used to back in 2003, but very lightly. Now I'm into it full-bore.) At first, I really liked this. However, that was before I tried other English blends. Since then, I came to realize this was an English/Aromatic, and it almost seems like it's low quality tobacco with simply some sort of flavoring added.

Another reviewer mentioned a soapy taste (or smell?). I get this too, and even if I let it air out for a while, it's still there. The flavor of the blend is good, but I can't get past that soapy/floral thing. I gave the rest to a friend in case he likes it.

Pecci Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pecci (3)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Perfection! I love Latakia with Blk. Cav. and this is the best example. I wouldn't change a thing. The tin note is unique and this blend smokes as good as it smells.

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog Kentucky

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It's quite strange, a latakiya blend with strong aroma of cherry, makes this blend a smokey cherry aromatic. I really don't like the tin packaging, is not good. The smoke is great but must enjoy it slowly, must draw slowly and longer to get a good smoke.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild Extra Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is is an Aromatic. If you're a big fan of Latakia English blends and their Balkan, Oriental cousins this blend will not be for you. Not a crossover blend in my view.

The tin is not sealed, simply a cellophane bag closed with tape and placed inside the tin. A bit concerning since there must be a tonne of added humectants. First nose is massive amounts of cherry and vanilla, with zero Latakia. After emptying the bag into a mason jar the bag itself had a slight smokiness to it.

Packs well, lights well and burns to a nice clean powdery ash, not gooey nor wet. A fairly cool smoke; however, can bite if rushed; obviously quality leaf.

The blending is expertly done, huge amounts of cherry yet rather mellow. The best cherry blend I've had, not that I'm an aromatic connoisseur. Disappointingly the Latakia never does show-up, it's used to make the cherry deeper/broader and does add a bit of depth "smoking satisfaction". Unlike most Aromatics which are far too bland and cannot deliver apart from pleasant aromas. This blend is also low in nicotine, not that I care but others do.

It's recommended to either to use one of your aromatic briars or if this becomes a favourite dedicate a few. I would not use my English pipes, it ghosts a fair bit despite the well behaved nature of the casings.

Unfortunately, every-time I smoke it I end up with a headache due to the casing agents, humectants, and chemical additives, therefore I cannot recommend this blend.

bws2158 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bws2158 (5)

i liked this blend. i bought it as an alternative to "shortcut to mushrooms," and found the two pretty similar, but this blend had a little more bite to it. not too much, but enough to notice. it has a pleasant, unique taste to it.

i'd recommend it. only complaint is the packaging, which i thought was kind of goofy. i couldnt get the tin to close properly. maybe i'm missing something.

anyway, i enjoyed the tobacco itself.

Taerin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taerin (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

One of my favorites, this blend burns really well, bites a little but not too much, and has a lot of flavor. It smells great and tastes just as good, it satisfies my desire for a very full flavor with lower nicotine contents nicely.

Problematic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Problematic (8)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

There is quite a few reviews here that are calling this mild, lightly flavoured, mild to medium tastes. I really don't understand how.

This is strongly cased/topped tobacco that is latakia based. A good sniff into a newly opened tin will burn your nose. It smells good enough that you'll probably go back in for a second however lighter sniff. The first time I smoked it was a year or so ago and it was fresh out of the tin. I was intrigued but it was too much chemical. Overwhelming casing and oily mouth flavour that hung around all day. I let this one air out for a while in sorta sealed can for a few months. It mellowed out nicely.

I'm really impressed. It has a really nice aromatic type flavour with strong underlying natural nutty tobacco flavours. It's strong enough to taste good at the end of the day when other tobaccos might taste like hot air. I smoke it slow and dried to the point that a pinch just barely holds a clump, just before it gets crispy, and it behaves perfectly in the pipe.

I'm normally one to have a distaste for aromatic type blends. Heavy flavourings are usually there to mask the crappy tobacco underneath in my opinion. And why bother with tongue bite. This has none of those attributes and is smooth and comforting to me. It should be a must try for anyone. I'd recommend opening the tin and letting it get some air for a few weeks somehow for the best experience.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I concur fully with DrumsAndBeer's review. I didn't expect this to be so heavily cased, but I liked the room note and it was a nice change of pace. However, I don't think I will buy this again...at least for a few years.

Soli Deo gloria!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (78)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Strong

I made the mistake of purchasing this tobacco while under the impression that it was a lightly flavored latakia mixture. I guess I was also swayed by the ratings, which at the time were averaging four stars. As it turns out this is more of a heavily flavored albeit darker hued blend that just happens to a have “some” latakia in it, but probably not much.

To Sillem's credit, Black seems to be made from quality tobacco and I am sure this will appeal to some. On the other hand, I always worry when a manufacturer doesn't seal their foil bags or tins. To me this tends to speak to the use of a high amount of humectants in processing.

Overall, I am okay with the flavor of this blend which is slightly sweet with a bit of a zesty zing (latakia or chemical burn I am unsure). However, the aroma (both smoked and unsmoked) is reminiscent of bad frangipani incense. It's cloying and headache inducing.

No further purchases required.

RedMozi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RedMozi (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not my favorite baccy, but always good to have some on hand. A decent room note and clean burn.

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)

Take your tobacco from this poor quality non air sealed tin and jar it. Then enjoy a unique and brilliant presentation of smell and taste complexity. So why not four stars ? Because it tends to dry out fast and at some point this taste complexity becomes arti-chemi-ficial.. but to a very low level. Anyway, it's nice to have some at home.

Rewster66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rewster66 (15)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Simply put, this blend is exactly as described above.

I've never really smoked anything like it. Grand Slam!!!!

Devoto18 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devoto18 (4)
Medium to Strong Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It's an aromatic-englishy tobacco!! Ha ha. Seriously, this stuff is for the guy who likes to be social with aromatics, but doesn't get a lot of taste from the aromatic itself. This stuff smells wonderful to those around you, but also tastes better than most aromatics do on the tongue.

It smokes cool for me and never bites. No chemical taste like others have reported.

I smoke it in my Sillem's black onyx gentleman's pipe, so maybe I'm biased, but this is a great blend.

novell92 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
novell92 (1)
Mild Mild Mild Strong

I couldn't even really taste and smell the tobacco through the soapiness and I even worked my way through 2-3 bowls of it. As soon as I smelled the tobacco through the tin I knew I wasn't going to like it. It smelled STRONGLY of some kind of chemical to me, but it was kinda funny cause none of my friends could smell it. The only way I can explain this is that maybe I have some certain gene that allows me to smell this soapy substance.

Example: In 1931, a chemist named Arthur Fox was pouring some powdered PTC into a bottle. When some of the powder accidentally blew into the air, a colleague standing nearby complained that the dust tasted bitter. Fox tasted nothing at all. Curious how they could be tasting the chemical differently, they tasted it again. The results were the same. Fox had his friends and family try the chemical then describe how it tasted. Some people tasted nothing. Some found it intensely bitter, and still others thought it tasted only slightly bitter.

PipeGinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeGinger (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Not only was this my first tobacco, it still remains one of my all time favorites. To me its like a full blend on its own. but its like that something extra that dosnt over power and you dont have to meditate on to realize that its there. One of the best tobaccos I have ever smoked. Put it in your pipe and smoke it ! ! !

Zogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zogg (7)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell is almost that of potpourri, a unique smell that you just need to smell to understand. It's quite floral but with other smells as well. It tastes like it has a hint of latakia but definitely retains that English taste.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

The aroma out of the tin is quite intriguing. A mosaic of sharp Latakia, cherry, vanilla, baked goodies, and holiday spices. Warmly aromatic, no chemical odors, rich aromas from the tobaccos hold their own with the casing. I'm not a big aromatic smoker, I've had some bad experiences with bad flavored tobaccos. But this stuff smells so delicious, I can tell this is going to be different.

Coarse cut packs OK, slow to light but burns alright.

Well blended English mixture, sharp, smoky Latakia pulling most of the weight. The casing is very well done - contributes quite a bit of flavor, but doesn't overpower the tobacco flavors. Balanced, interesting, and really tasty. Cherry, chocolate, marshmallow, tart Virginia leaf, hops, dried beans, graham crackers, plum sauce, cherry cordial, distant smoke, almonds, popcorn, roasted grains, and prunes. Yet it never loses it's “English” tobacco character for even a minute.

Complex and delectable. Not at all artificial tasting, all aromatics should be this pleasant and flavorful. This stuff is amazing. Cool smoking and a nice room note.

4 Stars. It's rare for me to consider an aromatic for my favorites list, but this one made it.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

I tasted a bowl yesterday (as if takis, the big-spender, would give me a second one). I didn't like it at all and I surely wouldn't categorize it as a Latakia blend. Very strong aroma, probably flowers. A sense on the tongue and some stinging on the gums (I do not know how and if it can be explained) gave me the impression that it contains many chemical additives. All aromas disappeared after the middle of the bowl as well as the hint of Latakia, which means for me that all chemical additives evaporated. Maybe it could help those who are not fond of Latakia begin appreciating the potentially enormous enjoyment this specific tobacco variety could lead to.

The Dutchman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Dutchman (4)

I've had this a number of times now after purchasing a tin from Iwan Ries. Great tin design, and as soon as I opened it, the best smoke scented latakia that I've smelled rolled up out of the little black box. My friends agreed and found it pleasing on the nose as well. This was the first pipe I've smoked after years of keeping a humidor full of cigars. Thanks to this blend, I've been seduced into the world of pipes. The fruit that I detected was cherries or dates and it was outstanding combined with the smoky litakia. I also detected the "soapy" smell that others have described as well. However, as soon as I took it out of the bag and jarred it in glass, it disappeared. The intensity of the litakia also came down a little, but the result is a wonderfully tasting and smelling blend that has decent complexity and the perfect strength. Not too soft, but enough zing to keep me very interested. After trying several other blends, this has remained as one of my favorites. It will be my trusted closer coming out of the bullpen in the late innings if I'm in a jam. I know that I can count on it anytime in my litakia dedicated Stanwell Canadian.

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What a nice surprise, an aromatic, that doesn't taste like a 1960's drug store blend. This is a quality tobacco , yes, with just a touch of Latiakia. French inhale, exhale through the nose, side-stream, it's all good. There is a lot going on here, but the predominate flavor is that "Lane's, Peach Brandy John Rolfe". I hate to do that, compare the two, because this baccy is head and shoulders above JR ( last time I tried JR was 1960's). This tobacco comes damp so it needs to dry before smoking, (the poor closing tin will take care of that for you), it doesn't bite and flavor seems to last through the bowl. I think this has a little N kick also. What you don't get is that bitter/sour Burley taste, it's all good. Have a big pile of cash, because this one doesn't come cheap. I'll keep this around for when I want to impress guests. They will say " ooooh I love the smell of a pipe", my wife will say "not the crap he smokes" . I'll fire up some SB and she'll be wrong again!

conicallybored Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
conicallybored (13)

Sillem's Black looks like a Harley Davidson, smells like a high school prom queen and tastes like -- well, it tastes really good.

Update: The non-airtight tin and crackly plastic bag let the tobacco dry out rather quickly. I rehydrated a bowl's worth by wrapping it in a damp paper towel and microwaving it for 10 seconds. It smoked almost as good as new (downgraded from 4 to 3).

Update 2: My love affair with Sillem's Black did not last long. I couldn't tame the hot-burning aspect of this tobacco. The taste began to seem heavier and more artificial as I became more experienced. At this point I do not see myself ever buying tobacco from Sillem's again (downgraded from 3 to 2).

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

Black...WOW-WOW-WOW! I love this leaf/just put a pnd of it in the tobacco bar, air-pocket method pack for me gives me max-flavors on this wonderful blend...

just for sitting back sip'in with nothing on the mind....you will love it if enjoyed this way

MisterSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MisterSmith (8)

28th Jan 2011 - First smoke: Tin arrived this morning and I could not wait to get started on it. It was probably a mistake to start the day with it. I'll be perfectly frank - the overwhelming taste I got was of wax triggering unpleasant memories of 'dusty old churches'. I also took the pipe out with me and I fear I have abused this magnificent tobacco on its first outing by not giving it time and allowing it to burn too quickly outdoors. Even so, I was aware of a fascinating array of different rich and exotic tastes past the midway bowl point. Dull it most certainly isn't!! Extravagant really is the right word to describe the blend. I will try a second, more considered, smoke in the coming days and update this review.

Later the same day - Second Smoke - disaster. I either packed it too tightly or I packed it too directly from the tin not allowing it to dry out a little. Much wrestling with pipe tool, unpacking, repacking, went out constantly, very wet clump of steaming dottle that soured my pipe.

This may not be a beginners blend.

gandalf7531 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gandalf7531 (8)

Every now and again, there's a blend of tobacco that comes along that melds all the ingredients together into a superb smoking experience. Sillem's Black does just that.

First off, this blend has only a mild casing added to it. Mostly the flavors you taste are from the interplay of the four tobacco types placed into it. And how well these four play together! To my mind, this is a totally English blend that has also included Burley and Black Cavendish in perfect proportions to yield an exquisite smoke.

Upon first lighting up, there is an unmistakable aroma of marshmallows as the Black Cavendish mingles with the Virginians and Latakia. The burley soon follow with a hint of nuttiness. Finally, you taste the spiciness of the Latakia, blended in perfectly with the others.

What you end up with is a complex, intriguing smoke. There is nothing too heavy here, so those who enjoying smoking the strongest tasting blends might not agree with my assessment. However, I'd suspect that at least 80% of all pipe smokers would find this blend the perfect masterpiece of craftsmanship I did.

I plan on making this blend one of my few regular smokes. To have the smoke change substantially during a bowl is one of the most wonderful qualities about Sillem's Black. I doubt that I'd ever get tired of it and even on my mundane days, I know that Black will continue to bring something very unique to my smoking experience.

Highest recommendation possible. A masterpiece of blending.

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

Sillem's Black tin is a difficult tobacco to decipher. First off, there's not a word on the tin. Just a blue-studded iron cross on a solid black tin. Needless to say it's obvious that this is a rather German tobacco blend, and it would fit right in with the SS if you were going off of appearances alone. When I asked for a description from my tobacconist he said that it was a "full- flavored, sweet and spicy" leaf. "Spicy" is not a word I want to hear when it comes to tobacco. "Spicy" means there's Latakia in there. I'm not the biggest fan of Latakia, and it doesn't help that I don't know much about the staple tobacco in most English- style blends. It usually smokes hot, harsh, and too strong for my tastes, so I was a little discouraged to hear that such a wonderful smelling tobacco was tainted with the stuff. Sillem's Black however, is different. Sillem's Black is unlike any other tobacco I've tasted. Luxurious and decadent are just a couple words to describe its flavor. The tin note is absolutely incredible, smelling heavily of potpourri and incense. I noticed a rather striking scent of Pine, Jasmine and Patchoulli on top of the smooth, chocolaty Black Cavendish. There are also fruity notes from the Virginia blends as well. The Burley adds a nice creamy and toasty scent like roasted marshmallows, and the Latakia envelops it all under a smoky blanket. Although I could definitely distinguish what all was in this tin of beautifully cut leaf, I also noticed that it all smells very uniform. Nothing really jumps out at you, that is to say that it's rightly proportioned, and that's just how it tastes. The taste: Sweet and spicy, like a nice glass of dark rum, with just a little bit of a flowery, astringent flavor. As if it weren't complex enough, the prominent Latakia component adds a nice peppery bite to this blend. I wouldn't call this full bodied in the context that most smokers would, but I will call it full bodied in the context that there's a lot happening here. This blend is very tasty, with an unmistakable aroma and flavor that's sure to please any pipe smoker and any company he might have. A word of caution though; the nicotine content in this is higher than most aromatic tobacco, so don't smoke a whole bunch at once or you won't be able to walk right for a few minutes. In addition, make sure it stays well sealed. It smokes perfectly right out of the tin, so it's packed a little dryer than most hermetically-sealed tin tobacco. If you leave this stuff to dry it will lose its flavor, and its mellow notes and will burn rather hot and heavy instead. Keep it in the bag it comes in and make sure it's tightly sealed when you're done packing a bowl of Heaven, or it will make your tongue feel like Hell.

RC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RC (3)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Ahh Sillems Black. Its the secons blend of sillems Ive tried and am yet again very pleased. I wasnt sure at first and cation people not to let first impressions ruin this blend. The aroma when I first opened the tin was strange. I cant place it, almost soapy I almost put it down and walked away. The first bowl left a strange taste in my mouth. But I didnt give up. I left it open for a couple hours and the smell began to change. It sweetened and became more favorable. After a couple bowls it began to taste better. A little time in the open air does this blend well. It wasnt too wet but I think a little drying does help though I am now smoking right from the tin with no problems. I highly reccomend this tobacco but caution to not let the first bowl turn you away from it. Open it up and let it breath a while. Give it a few days after opening and give it a go.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)

Addition By Subtraction.....

This is mild English Blend with flavored black cav.

Nothing new there. The market it literally saturated with blends made with Vanilla Black Cavendish. And this blend can be reasonably duplicated by throwing a splash of BCA in your favorite English Blend

But, what separates Sillems Black from the stereotypical "aromatic" black cav blend is not what it has. It's what it doesn't have.

It's not soaked in propylene glycol.

Black Cavendish and especially its flavored derivatives gets a bad rap. IMO it's not the black cav. It's not the topping typically applied. It's the PG that makes most of them nearly unsmokable. That waxy tongue artificial taste thing. No surprise really you're basically smoking tobacco soaked with antifreeze.

All of that is why Sillems Black is an absolute home run. A very nice dose of latakia. Not heavy handed. Just right. And a very very interesting top flavor that clearly goes beyond plain old vanilla. I get a hint of berry or something. Don't know for sure. I'm a smoker not an aficionado. But whatever it is it's damned tasty.

And this is high quality leaf. It stores, dries, loads, lights and burns like your favorite non aromatic blend. If left exposed to the air it dries like tobacco is supposed to. It doesn't stay wet for months in the desert like the typical Hot Fudge Sundae Cream Surprise Aromatic from the like of Altadis or Lane.

It burns right. Will leave some scent but not heavy goop in your pipe. Altogether, this is a legit smoke with a nice flavoring that enhances instead of disguising the good weed underneath.

If your looking to bring a bit of frivolity to a staid rotation of English and VA blends, Sillems is your blend. Fits a nice niche and is worthy of a try for any discriminating piper. And if you like aromatics but have been smoking the goopy crap, you owe it to yourself to give this a try. Whole new world.

A NOTE: The tin is really cool,but not airtight. If you're going to keep this around you'll want to either jar it or keep the tin in an airtight bag or humidor.

SergentPepper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SergentPepper (5)

What a great smoking pleasure ! As soon as you open the tin, you clearly understand that it's gonna be something, boy... Perfect balance in the mixture of Latakia, Black Cavendish, Burley and Virginia. This tobacco is really... special and deserves to be smoked in a peaceful environment: doing nothing, watching nothing, earing nothing and, last but not least THINKING about nothing. Total exprerience :-) Very big stuff !

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (7)

A really nice tobacco that I'm delighted to be smoking. A really nice tin aroma, and just as nice when smoking. It relights easily, and there is very little tongue bite. It burns clean and is a pleasure to smoke all day. This is really good tobacco. Highly recommended.

NursDad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NursDad (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

One of my favorite tobaccos. Always a pleasure to smoke with no bite. Shows me something new each time I sit down and enjoy a bowl.

Justso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Justso (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Wow. I don't give 4 stars lightly, but this German-English blend absolutely will knock your socks off. Extravagant is the right description for this blend.

Tin aroma is definitely unique: the smoky spicy aroma of the Latakia is definitely the dominant part, but the sweet honey aroma of the black cavendish is the secondary subtle part. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't come vacuum sealed, but that's not a big issue. The tobacco is a bit wet anyhow, so if it dries out a bit, it's sure to improve the smoke. However, if you're planning on long term cellaring, put the pouch in a ziploc bag and place back into the tin.

From the first light, it became clear to me that Sillem's has taken this Latakia blend to aromatic levels that few other blends reach. The rich, creamy subtle spiciness is predominant early on. Others have described toasted marshmallows and I agree - definitely. There's a sweet nutiness to it that isn't overpowering and it's one of the few blends I've smoked that I could actually smell the room note and it is wonderful. The further into the bowl, the spicier it gets and I detected somewhat of a coffee bean flavor still mixed with toasted marshmallows. The bowl ended perfectly with nice white dottle and a very spicy finish.

One note about strength: this one is deceiving. It's stronger than you think. You'll get a nice nicotine buzz going about half way through the bowl and depending on the size of your bowl, it might grab you by the throat when you're done. It's definitely in the medium to strong range. I couldn't smoke this blend everyday, but it's a definite treat. It's a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for and this would be a welcome addition to anyone's stock.

A phenomenal blend.

NikolasZenHagakure Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NikolasZenHagakure (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild Unnoticeable

Very Very RARE........... The amazing is when i smoke it i feel in the top of my nose a basic element from the "White Musk" fragrance...

WOW...

No comments, Just TOP !

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Full Pleasant

It is an black canvendish tobacco with honey and lemon aromes. The latakia in this blend is a good quality tobacco. It's my 1st aromatic tobacco, and I like it, but I taste John Aylesbury Jubilee, and it's better one, cause of arome of fruit and cognac, that I prefer.

Enjoy it !

SakamotoFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SakamotoFan (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This tobacco has a strange smell in the tin. I could not recognize it, however someone else told me it smelled like potpourri. He was spot on. This tobacco has, by far, one of the weirdest tastes to it. Weird not in the sense that it tastes bad, but in the sense that the taste is something I couldn't recognize.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Strong Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

Wow...What can I say...Wow! A Neo-English indeed. The blenders found a way to compliment the Latakia in a way I never thought possible. The Black Cavendish truly makes this blend shine. This blend made it up in my top five within the second draw of the first bowl. This is a very sweet blend so if ya don't like the sweet with your smoke than stay clear but if you're a fan of the English blends and you're looking for something progressive and unique than dude, you gotta try this stuff! Well worth the price. I actually think this will appeal more to the younger generation of pipe smokers, for our numbers are growing. This hobby is coming back in a major way. Oh, and yes i can taste the toasted marshmallows! Essential.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I am not a true fan of Latakia blends, but as I read the composition of this tobacco I gave it a try. It is excellent. It is not a daily smoke, but it is deffinetly a special ocassion choice.

BerkleePipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BerkleePipester (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm certainly not an aromatic smoker but i do believe that this is a blend to have in your collection of tobacco. It's worth a try at least. It's a cool aromatic with a smooth flavor. The Latakia is mildly present in the tin aroma. When smoked, the Cavendish comes out with strength while the smokiness of the latakia takes the back seat. As an English/aromatic i think the proportions of flavor are exceptional. I would suggest this blend for the english smoker amongst intolerable company or the aromatic smoker looking for make the switch to english. 4 stars in this new reviewers book.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Sillem's Black is the best aromatic I've ever tried, hands down. This is the stuff that makes pipe-smoking one of the greatest pleasures in life.

The tin aroma is inviting with a prominent Latakia/floral smell, but once smoked the Latakia compliments the Black Cavendish wonderfully and is not overwhelming, but stimulating to the tongue. The flavours are complex yet subtle and intensifies as the bowl progresses. I experienced no tongue bite or fowl after-taste.

The quality of tobacco leafs are almost identical to the 2009/2010 Limited Editions blends from Peterson (which I enjoy). The tobacco burns slow & cool producing a fine, white ash and should be smoked at a glacial pace to appreciate the multitude of notes.

This comes highly recommended and would make for the ultimate special-occasion luxury smoke. I'm definitely going to stock up my tobacco bar with this heavenly tobacco.

Update: 12/12/2011 This used to be the best blend in the world for me, being new to latakia type blends. I'm losing favour with aromatic blends these days. Once you get used to decent latakia blends, you'll find the flavour of Sillem's Black to be saturated and dull.

roachman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roachman (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

This is one of the best tobaccos i have ever smoked , just finished my fist bowl...and WOW..its amazing. When i lit it i got the marshmallow flavour with the latakia background. I have been mixing my own strong latakia's and i must say this artful blending of the tobacco's are amazing. First time i finished a complete bowl and want some more directly after.Its amazing stuff. We have to import it here at a price, but my next order is definately underway. Well done sillems on an excellent smoke.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

I own and smoke all four of the Sillem's "colors" - Red, Green, Blue and Black and excellent as they all are, I have to say Sillem's Black outshines them all by a comfortable margin. This is reflected in the fact that more people have reviewed Sillem's Black on this board than the other three Sillem's combined! This is a truly unique tobacco - an English/Aromatic with incredible balance and subtlety. The Latakia is definitely there but certainly not alone. As the bowl progresses I taste the nutty Burleys and sweet Virginias weaving in and out. But the most remarkable aspect is the difficult to identify flavorings! Sometimes cherry, sometimes a toasted marshmallow, sometimes... don't know what! But overall it is far more than just Latakia. People who smell the room note ALWAYS comment on how delicious it is! That rarely happens when I smoke a typical Latakia blend. And never any bite, even when I push it hard.

I just finished a bowl of the Blue and enjoyed it but I find myself looking forward to the great pleasure and satisfaction I get with Sillem's Black.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)

Definitely an English/Aromatic. Not an aromatic. Which is fine. But I was a bit disappointed at how the Latakia simply seemed to overpower the smoking experience and bury the subtleties of the other ingredients. I really wanted to like it more, and it is truly excellent quality tobacco. I would rate it much more highly just as a strong Latakia dominated blend. I simply did not feel it was as well balanced as I would have hoped, based upon the tin description and my expectations of a more diverse, quasi-aromatic experience. What toasted marshmallow??? Huh? Latakia!! Fruit and nuts? Where? Latakia!!!! It is what it is. But just that. Excellent Latakia...I was also surprised by a little unexpected harshness and bite which none of the other Sillem's blends seem to exhibit. Seems to smoke a bit hot.

I vastly preferred the excellent Sillem's Blue which is rich, heady, mapley and flavorful, and on its heels, the lighter, slightly less interesting Green, then the very different but quite excellent, fruity Red. YMMV. Still great stuff no matter what your preferences, all of it, and Sillem's is top notch across the board. Try them all. But try black if what you want is....LATAKIA. Try the blue if you want a slightly more aromatic experience of the highest order.

fD Joe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fD Joe (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smooth, but intense tobacco. Don't let the "aromatic" descriptions fool you, this is an English. Very overwhelming at first, mellows out towards the middle, burns nicely.

One tin should do me fine for a while. I'm mostly an aromatic smoker, but this is a nice addition to my repertoire.

Recommended if you enjoy Englishes, somewhat recommended if you enjoy aromatics.

Very tough to get your hands on! I had to wait two weeks for it because it was on back order from cupojoes.

Angelos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Angelos (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It's a very interesting mixture which seems like an experiment between latakia, burley and aromatics.The final tin aroma is campfire(latakia) and plum.The smoke is extremely good for beginners,but as your tastes evolve,its fruitiness dominates the aroma of a good quality tobacco.But it remains a very pleasant "desert"...

If you dry this tobacco,you will be surprised about the depth in aroma it can reach!

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)

A smooth, easy going blend with a toasted marshmellow aroma. It burned easy with almost no bite. The latakia gives it a smoky body that lies under the sweetness of the cavendish. As others have said, a true English aromatic

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful. If you read my review of Iwan Ries' "Gourmet English," it applies to Sillem's Black as well - they are almost identical in appearance, taste, smokability and room-note, although Sillem's Black seems to have slightly more of whatever flavoring/scent added, which is more pronounced in the tin note as well. The tin description above is puzzling, and it is not printed on the actual tin I purchased. I detected no "fruit essences" whatsoever (and I am not a fan of "fruity" tasting tobacco).

It arrived a little over-moist in the tin, but rubbing out a portion and letting it air in the open tin before packing allowed it to smoke perfectly. If you drink a cup of coffee while smoking a bowl, you may notice that Sillem's Black leaves the same nuanced aftertaste as IR's Gourmet English on your palate, although Sillem's Black has perhaps a hint of a more licorice-like aftertaste. For this tobacco blend, I have nothing but the highest recommendation.

Now the critique - not of the tobacco, but the packaging and availability. While IR's Gourmet English is readily available in an airtight sealed two-ounce tin or in bulk, Sillem's Black only comes in a 100g tin. Although the tin is very aesthetically pleasing, and no doubt contributes to the higher price of the tobacco, unfortunately it does not provide an airtight seal so the tobacco dries out too quickly. The tobacco inside is packaged in a folded cellophane pouch which is taped shut, also not airtight. It helps to put a humidor disc in the tin if you are not going to smoke the entire tin soon. An airtight tin, or perhaps a resealable foil pouch inside, would be a huge improvement. It would be nice if it was available in bulk too, but it is not.

Right now, Sillem's Black is unavailable for purchase anywhere online that I know of. If someone comes across any website that actually has it in stock, please inform us. But until some more becomes available in the future, I recommend trying Iwan Ries Gourmet English, as it has almost identical qualities in every way, and it is available in bulk too.

[BTW: Stop whatever you are doing right now and call your representative in Congress. Tell him or her to vote NO on H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 which was introduced on January 13, 2010. If passed, it will raise the tax on pipe tobacco 775% - that's seven hundred seventy five percent - from $2.8311 to $24.78 per pound. At that rate, you'll see typical pipe tobacco retailing at $150 a pound - which will put a lot of local tobacconists out of business for good, which is the intent behind the legislation.]

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Received a tin for Christmas and was not disappointed! I had heard about this blend for quite a while, with various descriptions. I would have to call this a German English blend, because of the equal mixture of English flavors, with a unique and pleasant aromatic topping and just the right amount of sweetness for me! Cool smoking, I used it in a pipe my son bought me for Christmas as well, so I was able to enjoy it with no ghost flavors interfering. Complex, as the fruity nature of the tobacco mixes perfectly with the English. As I smoke more, I like it more, very well done and is becoming my new favorite! My tin came from Germany, not England, as the description states on this page hence, my previous categorization.

PoppinSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PoppinSmoke (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Strong latakia smell in the tin. You can smell this one across the room when packing your pipe. Is a little moist right out of the tin so I dryed mine a bit. Lights and burns easily. This is a 50/50 blend of latakia and black cavendish. I found it to be a little too much latakia for my taste. Mostly burnt rubber and licorish. It has some high notes and some low notes but nothing in the middle, which make for an unrounded flavor. A good smoke but will not get it again.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wow. This is awesome stuff!! The tin note is sublime but, it's hard to describe. Latakia with a slight berry topping perhaps. The moisture content is fine and the tobacco lights up right away and produces nice plumes of white tasty smoke. It burns down to a nice white ash. The room note is very pleasant. You just don't want to bowl to end. I enjoyed this tobacco very much. I experienced no bite at all. It kind of reminds me a milder version of GL Pease's Maltese Falcon with twist. Excellent. Well done!

I was gifted a generous portion of the this blend and I have to say i quite enjoyed it. Upon opening the baggie it was in, I was rewarded with a smoky sweetness that just begged to be put to the fire. It is a dark looking blend with a rough cut leaf composed of black and dark brown flakes that were of just the perfect moisture so Zi felt no drying time was needed. i don't know if the person that sent it to me had dried it or no. It loaded quite easily into my pipe, and lit up with one char and one full lighting. it burned quite well and provided right off the bat a nice sweet, creamy and smoky taste and aroma. This is for sure an English blend with the spicy taste of the Latakia, but the Black Cavendish content was there but in the background. it added a sweetness that was delightful, and it held this flavor all the way to the end. It never grew gruff or bitter and it never tried to bite me even when I pushed it. It burned cool in my pipe and burned down to a fine ash with no moisture or dottle in the bottom of my pipe and I smoked it in a large pot. I really like this blend for a Latakia smoke and I would highly recommend it to any one looking for a crossover English/Aromatic. I will buy more of this.

Crow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crow (7)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Aptly described as an English aromatic, this blend has quickly become one of my all time favorites. Enough latakia to satisfy ardent English blend smokers, but enough casing on the cavendish to make the room note fairly pleasant.

The only negative criticism I have about the blend is that it can smoke somewhat hot at times, giving a touch more bite than one might expect from a traditional English. That said, the bite/heat from Sillem's Black is nowhere near what one gets from most traditional aromatics.

4 out of 4 stars.

Nothingfancy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nothingfancy (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Good tobacco. I smoke this when I'm with people who don't smoke in general so I can smoke without being whined at (much unlike smoking Billy Budd). I am generally a sucker for Latakia, although it didn't hit quite as hard as I would have liked it to. Solid tobacco all the way around though.

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is the first aromatic that actually smokes as delicious as it smells in the tin, even better as far as I'm concerned. This stuff is absolutely scrumptious! One of the first to "burn to a fine gray ash without any bite". Don't pass this one up! One bowl last night and I'm gonna order several tins when I get my next paycheck. I can't really describe the taste except to compare it to drinking a really nice Amaretto such as DiSarrono or similar. Very rich and delicious. Get some!!!

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening a tin, scent is surprisingly strong - at least for "traditional English art of blending". Fortunately, during smoking this strong flavour is not so dominant and smoking is easy and constant.

To me, this is not "the best tobacco I've ever smoked" as someone said, but it is good aromatic. Very good for easygoing hot Summer days along Adriatic Coast.

My rate: 3.80.

Gun Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gun Smoke (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First let me say that this is simply the BEST SMELLING pipe tobacco that I have ever smelled. The aroma is fantastic! Reminiscent of smoky campfire marshmallows as others have noted.

This is no latakia lightweight; said weed is quite abundant in this blend and it is rather tasty. But the Virgina's are very young and bitey. Honestly, the Virginas seem a little "raw." It would have been like Heaven if Turkish Basma were used in place of the Virginas. With that said, I do think aging in a mason jar would mellow this blend significantly. As it is, Sillems's Black is a little rough around the edges.

This would be a very good dessert smoke, or those times when you have to have your Latakia kick but don't want to offend those around you. There is no question that even non-smokers will love the aroma, as it is very agreeable to the nose. I think beautiful women would find this blend comforting, soothing and sophisticated. Sillem's Black will remind them of Pappa.

k_pip_k Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k_pip_k (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wow, I'm hooked. I bought this not really thinking it would turn out to be a good or even great blend. But I figured if the manufacturers invested so much money and talent into a nice looking tin, then maybe they spent as much money and talent on blending the tobacco inside. Boy they sure did.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe the taste. Sort of like vanilla with hickory. The blend is reminiscent of an English, and yet it isn't. It tasted so good, I just kept wanting to smoke it.

The aroma upon opening the tin reminds you of other aromatic tobaccos, but it's not an aromatic. So don't get me wrong, I loved the smell, it's just deceiving. It burned nice, probably since I let it dry a bit. The taste was present all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

I'm getting a few more tins of these babies. I can't wait to try the other colors. I'll also keep this review up-to-date if anything changes over time.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

arrr me salty dog get ready for my leather boot to sink far into yrrr nether regions! This needs a latakia warning on the tin,it smells really great looks even better.You can smell the tobacco through these tins but I couldn't detect the taint, its been awhile since the last latakia attack. To me this had a medicine taste not unlike what mom gave you as a kid.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The description & other reviews do this fine blend justice. I'll update after many more bowls.

Bad Good = Excellent * Exceptional

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was everything described in the tobacco description. I was hesitant in trying this one as I am only an occasional smoker of Latakia blends. However, for me, it was just about right - not too strong and certainly not overpowering. Even though Latakia is the dominating factor, there is a certain something to it that I have never experienced with any other Latakia blend. I can taste what is called the "honey, fruit essence," the fruit being plum. It adds an underlying sweetness which is very complementary to the Latakia. Put the pipe down after smoking it a bit, leave the room, and re-enter a minute or two later - what a fantastic room note! It's a very unique Latakia blend. It may be a bit over the top for a handful of non-Latakia fans, but it is a very nicely blended tobacco. It does have a tendency to smoke a bit hot (even with sufficient drying), along with the nipping at the tongue that I experience with Latakia. I believe the majority of pipe smokers would appreciate its merits. Even though I am not a regular devotee of Latakia, I was pleasantly surprised enough to consider revisiting this blend on a regular basis.

scorpio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scorpio (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

To date this is one of the best aromatic blend, I have had. this blend is for everyone. non-aromatic smokers will like the fact that it has an English tone to it.the latakia really makes this blend work for me. the flavoring of all the tobacco blends together so well, an all around great smoke, I know I will keep some tins in my cellar.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

After 30 years of pipesmoking, just one word - best!

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Delicious smoke when Latakia is combined with black cavendish, you can get the same blend using 50% Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian with 50% Mac Baren Black Amrosia.

apostle228 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apostle228 (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

i love sillem's black! this is one of my all time favorites. like, top 5. the aroma and taste is exactly as the other reviewers said: its like marshmallows over a campfire. the taste is not too sweet at all, and the smell is just fantastic. great tobacco! the dash of virginia is perfect, and it has just the right amount of latakia. this definitly makes me want to try sillem's other blends.

nyelton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nyelton (2)

I like this one. It smells faintly like toasted marshmallows, but isn't too sweet. One of my new favorites. I think everyone should try this at least once.

Subotaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Subotaj (8)

The Dude! His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

the combination of smoky Latakia with aromatic black Cavendish reminds me marshmallow on campfire. I was also surprised by the kind of strange taste.. strange in a good way :)

Cyclebum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cyclebum (6)

By all means, this is a very classy tobacco. Its packed in a square, shiny black box with an ornate silver cross on the lid. Very nice! This aromatic tobacco doesn't overdo it on any level. It's not too strong, not too flavoured, not too sweet. It's a very balanced blend where not one of the four different tobaccos overrules the other. Veeeeery smooth! It's a real pleasure to smoke this. The humidity is perfect. You just have to put it in your pipe, light it and the blend almost smokes itself. The aroma? Well, I can't put my finger on it, to me it's just a very sophisticated smell, nothing artificial. Nothing but positive notes on this one, except that the tobacco is just a bit too mild for my taste. Only in the last quarter of the bowl it gets a bit more punch. All in all certainly a tobacco I can recommend.