A blend of Burley and Dark, Light & Black Cavendish tobaccos that, when combined, make a delightful aromatic with a hint of butterscotch in the background. Three Blind Moose could easily be an all day blend enjoyed in public while fending off comments from strangers, such as "What a lovely tobacco that is young man. What is it called?"

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish
FlavoringCaramel
Strength
Taste

3.4

Like many new pipe smokers I started with aromatics and TBM was one of my favorites. As time passed, and English blends and Vapers became the norm, I somehow forgot about TBM. I happened to come upon a small stash of this blend just as the chill returned to the New England air and I was reminded again of 4 Noggins great way with aromatics. TBM, like other 4 Noggin's aro's is mildly cased and compliments the tobacco without dominating it. The butterscotch is not sticky, but could use a little dry time. The smoke is nicely sweet but not overpowering. I seldom care about the room note, but this one leaves the house smelling like a cozy fall evening by the fireplace. Great Stuff!

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The burley is toasty, nutty with a little molasses and earth and is always noticeable, though it’s not a dominating component. The light and dark cavendishes offer a hint of grass, light citrus and a drop of honey, and also have a toasty quality. The black cavendish has a little brown sugar in a support role. The rich caramel topping sublimates the tobaccos a bit as a hint of butterscotch lurks in the back ground. The strength of the toppings are just a little closer to medium than they are to mild. The nic-hit is mild. Won’t bite. A little moist out of the pouch, but I saw no reason to dry it. Well blended, it burns very cool, clean, creamy, and very smooth with a consistent flavor that holds to the finish. Requires a few relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste and room note. An all day smoke.

Cairns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cairns (2)

The fact that I'm here writing this says a lot. I got this as a sampler included with my order from 4noggins several months ago and never tried it until this week, I wish I had tried it much sooner! This pairs so well with my morning espresso / coffee that it is becoming my choice for a morning smoke.

Possibly useful note: I kept this in its plastic bag for about 8 months without opening it once and it has stayed nicely moist and burns perfectly.

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (42)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Three Blind Moose has a delightful tin note. A really strong Carmel note. Upon lighting the tobacco butterscotch and carmel are present. A nice blend to start your day (pairs really well with coffee). I like to mix in some 5 brothers to give it some strength.

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Purchased From: 4noggins

Cellist0doom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cellist0doom (6)

I ordered 2 oz. of this with my last 4noggins order. I quickly became disappointed that I only ordered 2 oz. This blend is a great all day smoke. The butterscotch flavor is very much an element of the flavor as oposed to being totally in your face. I like that the blend is not heavily cased with flavoring. It has very consistant flavor all the way down the bowl without tasting ashy or chemically. This blend was obviously made with high quality leaf.

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (15)

I received this as a sample from Rich at 4Noggins... WOW... I had ordered some Storm Front.. Dark Horse... Bald Headed Teacher... and when I opened the box... I could smell something both sweet and captivating while not having an overpowering aroma. I quickly found my little pouch of 3 Blind Moose and stoved by GBD with it and immediately went out on the front porch with a nice cup of creamed coffee. WOW.... after a wonderful half hour of caramel enjoyment mixed with natural tobacco flavors... I came back inside and ordered a half pound of this blend... which is now turning into a full pound. As I have stated in other reviews.. I am not an Aro expert nor do I enjoy a lot of aro blends... but 3 Blind Moose is a home run out of the park with bases loaded. This IS my favorite Aro blend of them all. Well rounded.. nice smooth flavor that never bites, does not goop up... and still allows the wonderful tobacco blends to shine thru. This can easily be an all day blend... or leave it as something to look forward to after the days work is over and it is time to relax and put a happy smile on your face. Four Stars Across The Board. Happy Smoking Cheers Mike

Pipe Used: GBD Prehistoric Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 3 months old

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: Other blends try to be similar to this one!.

Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

IMO 4noggins flavored blends are criminally underrated as compared to P&W and Boswell. Three Blind Moose is a fine example of this - there's enough Burley in the mix to add a more robust flavor than a pure Cavendish, the tobacco is in excellent condition, not sticky with glycol, and it smokes clean all the way to the bottom. Add to that 4noggins incredible customer service and speedy shipping, and you've got a source for fantastic bulk blends.

If you like flavored tobacco, try this one!

freestroke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
freestroke (4)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Perhaps I'm partial to baked cookies, but for whatever reason, this is the best smelling tobacco I've ever smoked, both in the pouch and in the air. I can't get over how evenly and completely it burns, nothing but ash left, and no bite at all. Frankly, I've never had an aromatic that didn't bite at least a little!

History Nut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
History Nut (5)

I received a sample of this blend along with my order from 4 Noggins. The pouch aroma is excellent; smelling of caramel/butterscotch and tobacco. The room note is excellent with this blend, and smells almost exactly as it does in the pouch. The taste of butter scotch and caramel are definitely present while smoking, but the taste of real tobacco is present as well. I could pick out the burly in the blend all the way through the bowl. I enjoy English blends, but still enjoy good aromatics to mix it up a bit. This blend is a keeper in my book. If someone told me a blend was butter scotch, I probably wouldn't be inclined to try it. However, this blend packs enough true tobacco taste (and burly at that..yum) to keep me interested for the whole bowl. I recommend this blend, and am now looking forward to trying more of Rich's blends!

longbow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longbow (4)

I am not an aromatic smoker. Every one I've ever tried bit like a mad dog and tasted like I was trying to smoke a chocolate bar. But. I was recently given a couple ounces of this stuff by a fried.

I absolutely love it as an all day smoke. Fantastic tobacco. I am going to cellar a whole great whack of this.

R.Morris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.Morris (5)

Very good blend. My wife likes the smell better than my regular english blends. Burned fine for me in a cob. No gooey stuff left. Will now assign a old Kaywoodie bulldog to it and keep some cellared. Moisture level was just right. One match, no relights. As always the customer service from 4noggins is 5 star.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (61)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Another great aromatic from Rich at 4Noggins. Honestly I've not had a tobacco from 4N that I wouldn't give at least 3 stars. Their blends are fantastically well done, moisture content just about right, and any toppings judiciously applied. Anyhow, TBM didn't disappoint. Savory caramel with a hint of butterscotch. As others have mentioned, you do get some toasty nuttiness in there as well. It's reminiscent of Trout Stream, though heavier on the caramel and much lighter on the butterscotch. I love both flavors, and thus both blends, and each has become a mainstay in my aromatic rotation. It can get a little bitey if worked pretty hard, but that's nothing surprising in a cavendish blend. Slow your roll a little, don't over-puff looking for tobacco flavors, and try it in a cob if you are so inclined. I found the flavors and smokability much enhanced by doing so. Thanks to 4Noggins for another winner!

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, self-carved briar freehand

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Similar Blends: Trout Stream.

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (79)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Received as a free sample from 4N, so I had to try it right away. It’s delicious in the pouch and in the pipe, though the caramel in the pouch aroma is a little stronger than in the bowl or in the room note. Speaking of which, the room note is very pleasant. Some have noted that the tobacco needed drying time, but mine lit right up and burned to the bottom. I did not experience any bite. The smoke is thick and rich.

The flavor seems sometimes like caramel and sometimes more like butterscotch. I don’t smoke a lot of aromatics, but when I do I tend to like a high-quality black cav with cherry, chocolate or vanilla. Or any good tobacco with chocolate, actually. But this one is really good. Though not an aromatic guy, particularly, I have smoked dozens of good ones, and TBM is as good as any and better than most. I have tried a number of other caramels, with indifferent success. One of them, from Lane or Altadis (employees at the local B&M differ on the supplier), which the B&M labels as “Caramello,” is harsh, hot and bites like a junkyard dog. I note that Altadis/Consolidated has a brand named “Caramello,” and that B&M swears it uses the supplier’s name for their tobaccos instead of making up their own. So Altadis it must be. Such a nasty blend cannot be mentioned in the same breath with TBM, which except for also being a caramel is the polar opposite.

If you like an occasional aromatic and have no caramel prejudice, you’ve got to try TBM. It will be berry, berry good to you, I promise. Really delectable in a cob, by the way.

Pipe Used: Cob, Vauen

Similar Blends: In a league of its own..

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

A mixture of Burley, Dark, Light and Black Cavendish that can be very pleasantly smoked, all day I could relate this blend to Autumn Evening. It has a very distinctive caramel and maple flavor. With time, it becomes better and sweeter, because of the Cavendish. I have not discovered the “earthy” note of the Burley. The room note is very pleasant. I will smoke it again occasionally, but it can never overtake Autumn Evening's place.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (51)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The caramel/toffee/ note on this is just a little more than I prefer. It tends to overwhelm. Sort of reminds me of a bad homebrew. The base blend is rather nice however. It burns nice and cool; packs easily.

I'm hoping that letting this one sit for awhile in storage, the caramel will be more subdued.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is for me, a "linear" Tobacco, "flat", no flavour, no smell, similar to a very common cigarrete tobacco... I have in mind that it may be good for the neophites in the pipe, that wants an easy to smoke tobacco, that rassembles cigarrete tobaccos. Problably,Burley is the main component. I attribute 2 or 3 stars for this, since it have no high flavour, but is a good quality no flavour tobacco.

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)

This one smells delicious.Like a butter caramel with sugar on top. Ok the first puffs are great but later on the butter taste disappears and the caramel gets...torched! Oh well, at least the room note remains pleasant..!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (164)

Everything comes together nicely in this blend. It lights easily enough and stays lit all the way to the bottom. It leaves a nice ash and not a bit of anything resembling any form of bite. You will get compliments from passersby on the aroma coming out of your pipe. Highly recommended.

bdshepherd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bdshepherd (2)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

What you see is what you get: a Cavendish blend with some Burley to keep it from being flavorless. It's easy to light and smoke, with no bite to mention. When I smoked it, it started out tasting almost entirely of Cavendish (which I always think of as a weak, 'watery' sort of flavor) with a touch of something else in the background. A little further into the pipe the Burley starts to come forward, but never very far. Throughout there is the barest hint of the butterscotch that is so strong in the pouch.

Overall, a decent smoke, but not an interesting one. The tobacco seems to be of high quality, and it's a pleasant smoke, but that is all there is to it. If you're looking for something that smells good in the room and has just a bit more to it than a straight Cavendish blend, this will suit you.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I was looking forward to a nice, sweet, butterscotch blend after reading the description of this blend. What I got was a toasted cavendish flavor with butter scotch way in the background and not much else. While a pleasant enough blend, I did not experience anything speical in this one, no wow moments, no great smoking experience. This to me is very much like many of the jarred house blends available out there, a dime a dozen. The pouch aroma was very nice, the tobacco a medium to dark brown in a ribbon riff cut, and of a smokable smoking moisture. This blend did pack in my pipe easily and lit on first light, staying lit most of the way down with only one relite. It never did develope a stronger flavor as I smoked it down. This blend is bite free and I can understand it being an all day blend if one enjoys it. I was not impressed with this blend and would not order it, might be worth a try to some but i can't recommend it. Way to many blends out there that are better.

The_Phantom_Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Phantom_Piper (11)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I tried this blend on the recommendation of a friend, and I am quite pleased by the taste of caramel in this nice aromatic. While not a constant aromatic smoker, I intend on keeping a supply of this for a change of pace. Recommended.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)

A nice break from my usual diet of Balkans and other Latakia heavy stuff. Got this as a bonus on my latest order to 4noggins and as with every blend I have tried from Rich it is Quality Tobacco masterly blended. It has some 'aromatic' qualities without being an aromatic as the Burley is kept in control by the sweet Cavendish. A really good taste, without being cloying or too earthy as I sometimes find Burleys. Recommended!

skippy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skippy (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

full mouth feel overtones of toffee and caramel. sample i expereinced was a little moist and i found letting it breathe made for a better after dineer cooler experience. This blend is good for neighbors since it is pleasant without having the lingering who was smoking a pipe queries. i would recommend this as a afternoon early evening smoke it is not robust enough to carry an after dinner satisfaction but is a pleasant burn