4noggins.com

A blend of Burley and Dark, Light & Black Cavendish tobaccos that, when combined, make a delightful aromatic with a hint of butterscotch in the background. Three Blind Moose could easily be an all day blend enjoyed in public while fending off comments from strangers, such as "What a lovely tobacco that is young man. What is it called?"

Brand4noggins
Where to Buy 4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

3.2

Like many new pipe smokers I started with aromatics and TBM was one of my favorites. As time passed, and English blends and Vapers became the norm, I somehow forgot about TBM. I happened to come upon a small stash of this blend just as the chill returned to the New England air and I was reminded again of 4 Noggins great way with aromatics. TBM, like other 4 Noggin's aro's is mildly cased and compliments the tobacco without dominating it. The butterscotch is not sticky, but could use a little dry time. The smoke is nicely sweet but not overpowering. I seldom care about the room note, but this one leaves the house smelling like a cozy fall evening by the fireplace. Great Stuff!

Cairns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cairns (2)

The fact that I'm here writing this says a lot. I got this as a sampler included with my order from 4noggins several months ago and never tried it until this week, I wish I had tried it much sooner! This pairs so well with my morning espresso / coffee that it is becoming my choice for a morning smoke.

Possibly useful note: I kept this in its plastic bag for about 8 months without opening it once and it has stayed nicely moist and burns perfectly.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is for me, a "linear" Tobacco, "flat", no flavour, no smell, similar to a very common cigarrete tobacco... I have in mind that it may be good for the neophites in the pipe, that wants an easy to smoke tobacco, that rassembles cigarrete tobaccos. Problably,Burley is the main component. I attribute 2 or 3 stars for this, since it have no high flavour, but is a good quality no flavour tobacco.

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)

This one smells delicious.Like a butter caramel with sugar on top. Ok the first puffs are great but later on the butter taste disappears and the caramel gets...torched! Oh well, at least the room note remains pleasant..!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

Everything comes together nicely in this blend. It lights easily enough and stays lit all the way to the bottom. It leaves a nice ash and not a bit of anything resembling any form of bite. You will get compliments from passersby on the aroma coming out of your pipe. Highly recommended.

freestroke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
freestroke (4)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Perhaps I'm partial to baked cookies, but for whatever reason, this is the best smelling tobacco I've ever smoked, both in the pouch and in the air. I can't get over how evenly and completely it burns, nothing but ash left, and no bite at all. Frankly, I've never had an aromatic that didn't bite at least a little!

History Nut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
History Nut (5)

I received a sample of this blend along with my order from 4 Noggins. The pouch aroma is excellent; smelling of caramel/butterscotch and tobacco. The room note is excellent with this blend, and smells almost exactly as it does in the pouch. The taste of butter scotch and caramel are definitely present while smoking, but the taste of real tobacco is present as well. I could pick out the burly in the blend all the way through the bowl. I enjoy English blends, but still enjoy good aromatics to mix it up a bit. This blend is a keeper in my book. If someone told me a blend was butter scotch, I probably wouldn't be inclined to try it. However, this blend packs enough true tobacco taste (and burly at that..yum) to keep me interested for the whole bowl. I recommend this blend, and am now looking forward to trying more of Rich's blends!

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

A mixture of Burley, Dark, Light and Black Cavendish that can be very pleasantly smoked, all day I could relate this blend to Autumn Evening. It has a very distinctive caramel and maple flavor. With time, it becomes better and sweeter, because of the Cavendish. I have not discovered the “earthy” note of the Burley. The room note is very pleasant. I will smoke it again occasionally, but it can never overtake Autumn Evening's place.

bdshepherd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bdshepherd (2)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

What you see is what you get: a Cavendish blend with some Burley to keep it from being flavorless. It's easy to light and smoke, with no bite to mention. When I smoked it, it started out tasting almost entirely of Cavendish (which I always think of as a weak, 'watery' sort of flavor) with a touch of something else in the background. A little further into the pipe the Burley starts to come forward, but never very far. Throughout there is the barest hint of the butterscotch that is so strong in the pouch.

Overall, a decent smoke, but not an interesting one. The tobacco seems to be of high quality, and it's a pleasant smoke, but that is all there is to it. If you're looking for something that smells good in the room and has just a bit more to it than a straight Cavendish blend, this will suit you.

longbow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longbow (4)

I am not an aromatic smoker. Every one I've ever tried bit like a mad dog and tasted like I was trying to smoke a chocolate bar. But. I was recently given a couple ounces of this stuff by a fried.

I absolutely love it as an all day smoke. Fantastic tobacco. I am going to cellar a whole great whack of this.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I was looking forward to a nice, sweet, butterscotch blend after reading the description of this blend. What I got was a toasted cavendish flavor with butter scotch way in the background and not much else. While a pleasant enough blend, I did not experience anything speical in this one, no wow moments, no great smoking experience. This to me is very much like many of the jarred house blends available out there, a dime a dozen. The pouch aroma was very nice, the tobacco a medium to dark brown in a ribbon riff cut, and of a smokable smoking moisture. This blend did pack in my pipe easily and lit on first light, staying lit most of the way down with only one relite. It never did develope a stronger flavor as I smoked it down. This blend is bite free and I can understand it being an all day blend if one enjoys it. I was not impressed with this blend and would not order it, might be worth a try to some but i can't recommend it. Way to many blends out there that are better.

The_Phantom_Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Phantom_Piper (11)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I tried this blend on the recommendation of a friend, and I am quite pleased by the taste of caramel in this nice aromatic. While not a constant aromatic smoker, I intend on keeping a supply of this for a change of pace. Recommended.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)

A nice break from my usual diet of Balkans and other Latakia heavy stuff. Got this as a bonus on my latest order to 4noggins and as with every blend I have tried from Rich it is Quality Tobacco masterly blended. It has some 'aromatic' qualities without being an aromatic as the Burley is kept in control by the sweet Cavendish. A really good taste, without being cloying or too earthy as I sometimes find Burleys. Recommended!

skippy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skippy (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

full mouth feel overtones of toffee and caramel. sample i expereinced was a little moist and i found letting it breathe made for a better after dineer cooler experience. This blend is good for neighbors since it is pleasant without having the lingering who was smoking a pipe queries. i would recommend this as a afternoon early evening smoke it is not robust enough to carry an after dinner satisfaction but is a pleasant burn

Britannia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Britannia (34)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I see that I have the honor of being the first to review this outstanding blend from 4noggins. I will try to do it justice.

Let me preface this by saying I am by no means an aromatic smoker, but I do get a sweet tooth now and then.

This blend reminds me of Trout Stream because of the butterscotch undertones, but where I found Trout Stream lacking in tobacco character, Moose's burley's carry though. You don't feel as though your smoking a bowl of candy. The flavoring is subtle and melded well with the tobacco. It burns to a fine gray ash with little or no relights.

I bought this recently with four other blends, Otter Creek, Jesse's Own, Prairie Wind, and Bald Headed Teacher, and based on the quality of this blend I can't wait to try the others. I also want to state that this is the first time I got a personalized message from the merchant (Rich) thanking me for my business. It's that kind of personal touch that gets return business, and based on this blend and some initial bowls of Bald Headed Teacher, they'll be getting more of mine.

[Update] Rich was kind enough to send me a sampler when I did a recent order. This stuff is good from a non-aromatic standpoint. If you have swore off aromatics as a rule take a chance and try this and Covered Bridges. You will not be disappointed, my promise.

R.Morris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.Morris (5)

Very good blend. My wife likes the smell better than my regular english blends. Burned fine for me in a cob. No gooey stuff left. Will now assign a old Kaywoodie bulldog to it and keep some cellared. Moisture level was just right. One match, no relights. As always the customer service from 4noggins is 5 star.