Consists of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos from the best tobacco fields on three continents. The balanced Virginia tobaccos are blended with fermented Black Cavendish and premium Burly from the USA, Malawi and Mexico.

BrandW.O. Larsen
Blended ByOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Amaretto, Cocoa / Chocolate, Coffee, Fruit / Citrus, Orange, Whisky
Packaging50g Tin, 100g Tin.
Strength
Taste

3.1
JoPo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoPo (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Larson’s 1864 is my favorite aromatic thus far. It smokes dry, has a very pleasant side-stream and a sweetish flavor that highlights the sweetness and richness the leaf without overpowering it. I find that most aromatics smoke hot and this one will burn you if you puff too aggressively. Puff slowly then puff quickly and you'll notice the flavor and temperature of the smoke change from bland and ashy to hot and full of bite. Most importantly you find that rather broad range in between that will fill your mouth with comforting warm smoke and rich sweetish tobacco taste. It pairs well with bourbon, coffee, or cool water. 1864 is an all around great aromatic.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Colonial 56; Peterson Irish Harp 606

Similar Blends: Tinderbox Norse Gold.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This mixture has a very delicate taste. Although Orlik's description list orange, chocolate and whiskey among its flavors, the taste is too illusive for me to detect any of that. Maybe it's the combination of those things that make it difficult to readily discern any one of them. It is extremely mild and has a wonderful room note. IMHO, W.O. Larsen named it well - it is as close to perfect as I've found.

Similar Blends: Signature & Old Fashioned..

LarsFiskaren Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LarsFiskaren (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I've smoked a couple of bowls of this tobacco now and it was love at first smoke. The tin is beautiful and simple. It was a bit moist, so I had to let it dry for a day. The tin smells very nice. Chocolate, cream, nuts and something fresh, description says orange but I don't know about that. It smokes good, a little hot and bites a little but no more than normal for an aromatic. It's almost difficult to slow down because it tastes so good. The taste is about the same as the smell, a little spicy, wich is very pleasant. Flavors are constantly present, but without overpowering the natural taste of the tobacco. Room note is really nice. One of my favourite aromatics. Great after diner smoke, very nice with a glass of whisky, or a cup of coffee. I highly recommend this tobacco to aromatic smokers.

Pipe Used: BigBen, Corncob

Purchased From: De Oude Leeuw, The Netherlands

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Orange. spice, nutiness, earthiness and every nice! A refreshing find for this avid pipe smoker. It reminds me of Sail Regular, just a tad more spicy and smoother. Tends to burn fast but a tight packing and the occasional tamper will fix that. Mysterious room note but very pleasant. Can't quite put my finger on it. Works well in both a briar or a cob. I tend to taste a spicier note in the cob. Due to 1864's strength this blend may be better suited for the more seasoned smoker. Four stars in book.

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I've been looking for a tobacco of high quality and a touch of aromatic which would bring to mind some of the drugstore blends I smoked in the '60s. Although those tobaccos were pretty harsh I liked the burst of flavor in blends like Middleton's Cherry Blend and Mixture No. 79, and I enjoyed the aromas in the bag, kind of like a man's potpourri. There is almost no nicotine in this blend. I've never liked getting a nicotine buzz, so this also is good. It's hard to imagine that people who like strong tobaccos would like this blend.

1864 has an aroma in the tin which brings back some memories. The difference is that 1864 is subtle and the tobacco is fine quality. When I smoke it, and I smoke it slowly to avoid the pipe heating up, the flavorings drift in and out, sometimes tasting slightly like a liquor, sometimes nutty, and sometimes like something baking. It is incredibly diverse in the number of tastes experienced. The smell from the pipe is pleasant and has an old fashioned tobacco odor. I'm very happy that my wife likes it although I smoke outside with the windows closed. If there is a negative it would be the almost perfume-like scent left in my mustache afterward. When this becomes an irritation I switch to another tobacco in my rotation.

Part of my reason for trying 1864 out was that I needed a sweet fragrant tobacco to round out my rotation. It balances out some of my heavier blends, like MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fired, just fine.

Getting back to the tobacco, it comes in a beautiful tin. The moisture level is perfect, and the tin aroma will just knock you out - coconut, chocolate, nuttiness, liquors. Perfect. Since I don't smoke it hot it needs the occasional tamp and relight. An excellent choice for a mild aromatic on a lazy thoughtful day.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Grand Duke (small bowl)

Age When Smoked: fresh from the tin

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (11)

I really tried hard to like this particular blend but I am yet to feel the bliss. Definitely a case of tin aroma being way better than the taste. It improved with a bit of drying, but overall fails to deliver in terms of complexity. Not a disaster, just slightly underwhelming. Nowhere near the complex flavour of the sibling Signature blend by W.O Larsen. Edit: after six months of ageing I am pleased to report the blend has mellowed and lost the bite. The flavour has remained and developed certain complexity and sophistication. I am willing to give it an extra star by now. Persistence clearly pays off!

Pipe Used: Stanwell 88 with a 9mm filter

Age When Smoked: fresh from the tin (then again after 6 months)

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Covered Bridges by 4noggins, Red Mixture by Solani.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this tin in Estonia while on vacation at a small tobacco shop that had little selection. My goal on the cruise was to purchase as many blends as possible that I could not obtain in America. Well, I can get this in America, but bought it anyway as the other choices were not so good.

The first thing I noticed was that it is the most beautiful tin I have ever seen. Upon opening the tin the presentation continues to impress as you see a shimmering golden bag that made me think of the golden ticket in the Willy Wonka movie. It opened easily and I was immediately hit with a wonderful tin note and light colored leaf at the perfect moisture level for me. Which is to say that it was dry.

I don't naturally go for aromatics, but have found that I do enjoy some Danish varieties such as Davidoff's Danixh Mixture and Stokkebye's Mellow Mocha. I found this to be very similar to those Virginia dominated blends and like those blends, this is a tad bit bitey, but that is ok with me. I really don't know how to explain the topping as it mixes many sweet delights, but they come together in a good and non-cloying way. The bowl smoked pretty fast, likely due to the dryness. It didn't burn that hot.

Overall, this is not a goopy aromatic like many American aros tend to be. It is a fine tasting Virginia that has toppings added, but they, in no way dominate the underlying leaf. The burley is likely there rounding out the Va, but is certainly a minor player. I would not be surprised if the Cavendish is of the Virginia variety. I really did enjoy the blend.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Based on a 1 oz sample. For my generous friends who might be reading this, thanks for all the samples. My smoking room looked like a baggie factory for awhile! But this is the last one. Anyway, this golden brown ribbon had a glorious "baggie note" of exotic flavored coffees, such as hazelnut, caramel, butterscotch, etc. It was pretty dry and my experience is that they come dry in the tin, as they are wrapped in a non-airtight baggie within a beautifully appointed metal tin.

Flavor was very good but a bit too mild for my taste. The scents above came through in the taste buds as well. A hint of a tongue sizzle that had to be toned down with sipping, but nothing serious. From time to time, a slight alcohol flavor (rum, perhaps) came through, but all the flavors were light and airy. I found this one not as good as their Old Fashioned, which had more flavor. But this one was nice for the morning - perhaps not first thing but later morning before lunch, or as a light dessert blend. I did mix some heavy burley with this once to disastrous effect, but that was certainly more my fault than the blend's. Try this one if you like light aromatics where the flavoring doesn't overpower the underlying taste of tobacco and you don't want to go through a pack of pipe cleaners per bowl. Good, Danish-style aro. When it comes to this genre, the Americans could learn a thing or two from our European brothers on how not to strangle the tobacco with sauce.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

ffarouki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ffarouki (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not one for aromatics, so far liked all my English blends and threw away many aromatics after the first ball sadly enough.

But I wanted to like this one so much, partially because didn't want to throw anything else away and because the box was so beautiful.

When I opened the tin/bag I smelt something that reminded me with Erinmore. I was terrified, I hated that tobacco and it ghosted my pipe with a nauseous after taste for months.

Then I started detecting other aromas, walnut flowery scents.

I lit it up and things kept getting better. The room note was very pleasant. The taste not citrus/pineapple like Erinmore which scared me.

It reminds me of macadamia and hazelnut flavored drinks.

Not wet (which is great some people found it to be, but mine was somewhat dry), smokes warm and doesn't leave a mess.

I don't have experience to say more, but overall fine aromatic. If that's your thing then its recommended.

Nino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nino (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

We go way back. The first time I opened the black box I nearly wept. The room note is unmistakable, especially if your grandmother was Sicilian and made the worlds best Cuccidati. Fig, toasted nuts, chocolate, whiskey, amaretto and toasted tangerine peel.....and a shot of expresso afterwards. Sometimes you might get a little bite back, but that is what happens when you challenge Grams! I wouldn't trade this blend for anything else.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Delicate and pleasant tobacco. It is a good daily choice, but in my opinion this is not as good as WO Larsen Signature.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

The tin aroma is great. This is probably the best tin aroma for a cased tobacco that I have encountered. The tobacco is of a coarse cut.

It smokes very well and dry. The casing does not obstruct the tobacco taste.

What prevents me from giving it 3 stars is the mildness of it.

This is best suited for the amateur of medium cased tobaccos that are low in nicotine.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a classy light aromatic blend, with mainly burley tobacco that gives full nutty taste and chocolaty flavor, the smoke is Not sweet as for an aromatic, it is just well balanced, this tobacco is obviously much less sweetened and less cased than ?Signature Vintage? , there is some walnut and chocolate casing, but really not that much, the smoke is chocolaty and nutty because of the high amount of burley in the mix, this burley makes its presence well noticeable throughout the bowl, and as usual the room note is amazingly delightful.

This is not a heavy aromatic blend, I find it somehow similar to ?Old Fashioned? with more burley tobacco rather than Virginia, and if you like Old Fashioned, you should try this one.

pipeclubsi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeclubsi (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

One of my favourite tobaccos. Good nutty aroma, burns well, feels natural. Fantastic!

rhogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhogg (10)

I live in South Eastern Virginia, and we have a blender that owns multiple stores in the area (Emerson's Cigar). He must really know what he is doing because this expensive tinned aromatic does not do anything special for me. For the price I can get cheaper aromatics that are just as good and better.

The one thing I do like about it is that it smokes cool, and it doesn't taste too sugary. I'm not big on aromatic tobaccos and this one does not overdo it for me.

Nothing special here......

=== After a short hatred of all aros I decided to smoke a bowl of this tonight (16NOV2011), and I am enjoying this tobacco. Still a little bitey as I remember, but full of flavor. Upgraded to Reccomended from Somewhat Reccomended. ===

Dr. Hall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hall (15)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't normally smoke aromatics and have given up on most Danish blends altogether because they tend to bite my tongue, underwhelm on the strength, and smell a bit funky-stale after a bit in the room. This Larsen blend, however, is the tobacco I smoke when non-smoking company are about because it's got a nice nutty, vanilla, marshmellow-in-hot-cocoa aroma, and the flavor pretty much matches what you smell in the room and in the tin, not overly sweet, nor biting, and it doesn't get stale smelling. I do occasionally get a whiff of something slightly orange-liquor-like. This is the best aromatic I've ever smoked and one I can tolerate on a fairly regular basis even though I'm typically a latakia-oriental type. Just a comparative note: I did not like Larsen's Signature blend because of the overbearing berry flavor/aroma in that blend. 1864 is better to my tastes.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (12)

Aroma of chocolate, citrus, fig and raisins. Lights easily and stays lit. At first is somewhat of a dry taste with not a lot going on. Slowly sipping this one helps it improve throughout the bowl. Gets better and better with a nice, smooth light honey and tobacco flavor. It is a light aromatic and I mean light in that the room note is very nice. Not too sweet with a nice toasty note. The flavor is the same. Lightly sweet and a toasty flavor that is very nice. I don't detect any of the orange flavor, and just a very slight hint of chocolate.

I consider this aromatic for those not too fond of aromatics. If you like aromatics, you will enjoy it as well.

malakthebeast Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
malakthebeast (1)

I'm not going to go into details of it tasting like this or that which I believe is a bunch of hype. Oh it tastes like chocolate or what have you since I didn't pick up on anything like that at all I thought it had somewhat of a caramel, vanilla taste myself. I know I have to savor the scent on every opening of the tin. This is a delightful blend and I would highly recommend it to any smoker that wants to explore an aromatic blend that is a pleasant smoking experience.

Synthacus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Synthacus (6)

W.O. Larsen 1864 is amazing.

It is sweet; but not in the way that McClelland's mixes are sweet like too much ketchup and vinegar on your fish and chips. It is sweet like a Belgian waffle slightly toasted and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

1864 is sweet like a fine Italian asti spumante and not like a German eiswien.

This tobacco refuse to bite my very susceptible tongue. If you like a relaxing smoke with no worry about regret buy this and give it a try.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A smoke with a decent natural tobacco flavor. Very nice package, beautiful tin with gold foil pouch. Lots of yellow virginia leaf. Nice room note. Consistent flavor throughout bowl.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

A mostly bright mixture, on the broad cut side, mixed with a modest proportion of black cavendish. The casing aroma is delicious, on the milk chocolate side, very sweet without being overwhelming.

The casing does not impede on the tobacco taste. The Burleys definitively dominate this blend with their nuttiness. Because of the mixture of bright VAs with burleys, one cannot expect this blend to be significantly complex or rich. But it is not bland either, for the sweetness of the black cavendish will alternate with the nuttiness of the burleys.

The nicotine level, despite not being high, is not exactly inexistant either. A bit hard to get underway, this mixture smokes very well and even and smokes dry.

It might not be part of my regular rotation but I will definitively rebuy. This is obviously a high quality leaf.

Recommended (3.25 stars)

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As stated, it is mostly a blend of bright VAs, Burleys and Black CA. The B CA represents about one fifth of the total.

Rather mild at first, the nuttiness and creaminess of the burleys will build up progressively. Not a very complex tobacco in taste, it is still pleasant.

The casing reminds me of Calumé which I have tried ways back and enjoyed.

The nicotine level is low but the quality of the leaf compensates.

Jesla Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jesla (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very fine Virginia leaf carefully blended with a fermented Black Cavendish and the best Burleys from the America's cased with mysterious flavoring. The fermented Black Cavendish is considered, by some to be the Danish Perique only much milder. The Air Cured weed is a coarse cut and packed in a Gold foil/plastic bag and inserted into a Danish Contemporary style 100g tin.

Blended by Orlik for Larsen, 1864 is a modernized version of one of Larsen's early popular blends. This blend however closes, or not, the original can stand on its own which it does. This "Cougar" of an aromatic, has brought me back the aromatic world, and is now near the top of my rotation. W.O. Larsen's Old Fashioned and 1864 have both earned a place high in my top ten. 1864 is a true tobacco lovers leaf with a Chocolaty richness to be savored. As with Old Fashioned you get what you smell in the tin, that is to say; you taste what you smell. 1864 is one of the best in my new aromatic adventure.

It would be a waste of you time for me to do a long wordy description about the taste. If you like what you smell when you open a tin, then you are sure to like this smoke. The smoke is full bodied enough to compel and satisfy. Were it not for Old Fashioned then1864 would be my most favored aromatic. I can think of no more to say other than, if your feel an urge to retry a few aromatics or are trying them for the first time; do not pass this one by. But if you do pass it up that only leaves more for the rest of us.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)

This is a blend that comes very close to "old Fashioned" (same company) only it has more pronounced (mostly chocolate) aromas that make it slightly more heavy in terms of casing.

A fault that I found, was that as it aged (in proper conditions of course) its taste became more tangy and left an unpleasant bitterness on the palate. I find it unlikely that I shall return to it again (in light of having the option for "Old Fashioned") but it may offer nevertheless a decent aromatic smoke.

Caripu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Caripu (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A perfect balance between added aromas and the real taste of the excellent tobbacos contained.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Of all the aromatic tobaccos available on the market, this is one of the best. It is not too sweet so you don't have a reason to call this a powerful aromatic. The unlighted tobacco has a pleasant smell of walnuts but it is not overwhelming. Once you light it up, you can sense the flavor from this one: chocolate, walnuts and a slight hint of whiskey. It has one of the qualities for a good tobacco: it burns slow, easy, it smokes quite dry for an aromatic, it doesn't heat the pipe and it doesn't bite the tongue if smoked properly. The room smell is very enjoyable, so it is good to smoke in public, with your friends. It is not the best aromatic available but it is a good quality tobacco which has to be in every pipe smoker's collection, especially those who love aromatic tobaccos.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

I did not find 1864 to be the perfect mixture, but it was a rather pleasant, light aromatic with a touch of dark chocolate and a general flavor of wood smoke with a slight hint of peat.

I would smoke this again if given another sample, but it will not be a tobacco I purchase for myself, I would rather smoke Captain Black Blue, when I am in the mood for a woodsy aromatic, especially at the current cost of a tin of Larsens tobacco.

ringo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ringo (9)
Very Mild Strong Full Pleasant

ok it is a very fine expensive tobacco with no bite at all and pleasant aroma...BUT it tastes horribly, is extremely sweet with not tobacco taste. I smoked about 20 bowls in order to able to review it because I wanted to be sure about my review. It ruins my taste and it upstes my stomach. I really do not like this choco taste with irish cream. orange could not be found there. It is heavily cased, with no nicoteen at all

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

While I enjoy the occasional aromatic, I was still hesitant to approach this blend because I suspected a overly sweet taste and tongue bite from these Larsen Danish blends. My prejudice was unfounded.

I had no problems with the burning characteristics directly from the remarkably handsome packaging. Again, no bite, and I am suseptible to bite from Mac Baren products and many Virginias. With this blend I had no problems.

The tobacco taste is smooth, natural, and pleasant, albeit somewhat mild - the Virginias were most noticeable to my taste, followed by the cavendish and a hint of the burley.

The flavoring is restrained and balances nicely in strength with the base tobaccos. I taste orange and chocolate and maybe something else. The combination will likely be unlike anything else you've smoked.

Obviously, those who restrict themselves to the heaviest blends, or only those untainted by added flavorings will not name 1864 their desert island smoke, but should broaden their horizons some and give it a try none the less.

I highly recommend 1864 to those who enjoy aromatics.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If I was an aromatic smoker, I would smoke Larsen's tobaccos most of the time, and this would be one of them. The flavor is mild and peculiar, sort of a mix of chocolate, whiskey or rum and some citrus.

What I know is that flavoring is mild enough to let the underlying tobaccos shine through, and very fine tobaccos they are. Burley is in front, backed by Virginias and Cavendish, and they are all very enjoyable.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This review is based on a free trial sample of this blend I picked up at my local tobacconist.

General impression: Smells nutty and very sweet before being smoked. Not nearly as sweet when smoked, though, which came as a bit of a surprise. Overall, a pleasant blend that is made from quality tobaccos. Reminds me of a higher-class version of the many "standard" aromatics that are sold in bulk by Altadis or Lane. Can produce bite if you puff it too fast, but not any worse than your average Danish aromatic. Nice room note that will probably get you compliments. The tin is very attractive too.

Who should buy this stuff: You want an aromatic tobacco that does not have such cloying sweetness and does not have any weird, overly artificial-tasting casings.

Final notes: Although this is good stuff, I can't say I found it so amazingly delicious or unique that I was compelled to purchase some of it at its premium price. Its most original quality is its low sweetness. You could probably get a bulk aromatic from your local pipe shop for less with almost comparable taste.

Mahardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mahardy (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

IF one happens to buy this, they would do well to rub it and let it sit for at least a month. Then rub it again and let it air for about an hour or so before even thinking about smoking it. Otherwise you get an overly sharp, biting, candied taste that will put you off smoking for the rest of the day.

Let's go through this step by step. You buy the stuff, and assuming you like aromatics (I, for one, don't) you will probably greatly enjoy the candied fig/prune smell. Then you rub some of your newly purchased tobacco out, and let it dry for half an hour or so. Now you've packed your bowl and about to enjoy your first pipe of this stuff. It starts out mild enough, you rather enjoy the taste of it. Then you get to the 3/4 point and things start to go horridly wrong. It starts to feel as if you took briar shavings and started smoking them. It tastes horrid, it bites no matter how carefully you've backed it and how slowly you puff. If you, perchance, finish the bowl, then your mouth and throat feel as if you had been inhaling campfire smoke for the last hour or so.

No, let's set the date back a month or so from the date of purchase. You rub out enough for a bowl, and let it sit an hour or so. Pack the pipe, and start puffing away. It has a very pleasant, almost cool, taste. The room note is splendid especially for those who don't care for stronger pipe smoke. The taste does very as the bowl progresses, however it is far from unpleasant. Not something I'd care to smoke every day, but if you are smoking around those would would rather have you smoke out side in the snow rather than smell it, it will please both of you.

On the whole, a pleasant european aromatic blend. Very mild with a pleasant room note. This is my experience, so take from it what you will.