Cavendish blended with Black Vanilla Cavendish and Virginia to make an all day smoke.

Notes: First blended in 1975 by J.M. Boswell.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco

3.4
musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is an excellent blend. All of the Boswell tobaccos are excellent but this stands out as one of my favorites. The thing that I like most about Boswells Best is its unobtrusiveness. Not in a boring way, but in a great background note kind of way. This is a tobacco that I could see myself smoking all day long and never growing tired of.

This blend will not bite whatsoever. I smoked this blend while watching an action packed movie and at times found my puffing cadence rather aggressive at the exciting parts, where most blends would have punished me, this one just kept on putting out creamy smoke and great flavor.

Highly recommended.

Age When Smoked: Purchased 2008

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)

This is a very pleasant smoke for social gatherings and late afternoons, in my opinion. As a English blend smoker most of the time, I enjoy aromatics particularly when others are around - or when I have a "sweet tooth". Boswell aromatics are some of the best I've had. The Boswells staff seem to be genuinely nice people as well, which adds to the enjoyment of smoking their blends, odd as that may seem. Their attention to detail and lighthandedness in customer relations seem to flow into their custom blends. To put it another way, I've visited tobacco stores where the staff were nasty and harsh, and it seems their house blends were too. I received a sample of the Boswells family store blend "Boswells Best" when I purchased a pipe from their website (via phone order). Its a full Vanilla aromatic blend, and very pleasant. I personally appreciate complex tobacco flavors more than heavy toppings, but this aromatic isn't too heavy. It's good, and speaks well of the Boswell house. The Boswell pipe is quite nice too. I'm a fan, and I'll be purchasing more pipes and tobacco from them.

Pipe Used: Boswell freestyle Briar Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 2013

Purchased From: Boswells Pipes

Realmensmokepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Realmensmokepipe (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Pipers. If you have not ever tasted and seen (or smelled rather) the goodness of J.M. Boswell's handcrafted pipe tobacco, then your wanderings in the realm of fine tobacco have not been completed. Boswell's tobaccos are consistently of the highest quality, and in my short wanderings I have yet to find any brand worthy of the honors this man has earned my opinion. The quality of the tobacco and the expertise at which they are blended are superb. I have never met a Boswell I didn't enjoy.

This fine tobacco is no exception. A good friend and fellow piper delivered me a two ounce pouch of the stuff. He likes the stronger stuff, and has a taste for cigars as well, but said this light aromatic is his favorite blend. I wouldn't call it my favorite, but I will be repurchasing this blend in the future.

The description proclaims it cavendish through and through. Regular cavendish blended with black vanilla cavendish. Many of the cavendish blends I have lit up with over my last year of smoking pipe have certain sweet and brassy tang about them. This tobacco has its moments of such a taste, particularly on toasting and relights, but for the most part is pretty dark tasting. It's earthy and macho. A lot of aromatics seem to focus more on the aromatic flavoring than the tobacco. It's clear that Mr. Boswell isn't afraid to let the tobacco smoke for itself, and let whatever flavoring additives included only sing harmony. That's exactly what Boswell's Best does. Your taste buds are free to enjoy the taste of fine quality dark cavendish tobacco from lighting to ash, while your friends remark at how nice it smells.

My cousin, who never smoked anything but cheap cigars, had his first go at a corn cob with a bit of this blend. Even the beginner said "Oooo. That's nice" and "Why didn't I try this sooner?". This is great all around blend, and will likely become a old standby when I want something a little lighter than an full English, but something with character, that I wouldn't be ashamed to smoke with a real veteran in the room. This is a respectable smoke, one that should be included in your next order.

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I generally concur with the rave reviews this blend receives. It's almost a 4 star for me but there's just something missing in the taste and flavor. The room note is spectacular- similar to Captain Black as some have said. But it's MUCH better... not as dry and it's smoother. Unbelievably mild, no bite- certainly an all day smoke. A lot of times people will call something an all day smoke, but this is really an all day smoke.. even if you're a beginner.

Where it's lacking is in the flavor... The chocolate and vanilla are present.. vanilla more so in the flavor and chocolate more so in the room note. It's missing the fullness of a non-aromatic blend. I like to have the sweetness of the casing blend into the sweetness of the other tobaccos in the blend. This doesn't offer that. So for me it's a 3 of 4 stars... but that's more my taste than the blend itself. If you want that cool mild aromatic, this is a must try!! If you want a little more body (as I usually do) I recommend the Boswell's Sweet Tea which is my go to.

Pipe Used: Big Ben Stone

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Boswell's B+M visit

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This has become my go-to tobacco whenever I want a good solid smoke. The tobacco smells incredible and maintains a great mix of flavouring to natural tobacco smell. I find as seasons change so do my tastes in tobaccos, certain ones appeal to me more in cool weather as others do in warm weather. This tobacco appeals to me no matter what weather or mood. It's very calming and flavourful. It smokes cool and with never any tongue bite. I find with pretty much all the Boswell blends I've had that the flavour really comes out after about 10 minutes or so. A definite favorite of mine.

BRK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BRK (2)

Boswells Best is a very pleasant smoke - for a special occasion or as an all day smoke - it really doesn't matter! The taste is mild and pleasant with some nutty and vanilla notes on the palate. No tongue bite whatsoever. The room note is brillant, fullbodied and smooth.

If you are a fan of aromatics I cannot recommend the Boswells tobaccos enough! In my opinion they produce some of the best aromatics on the market.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (25)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As a person whom lives near, and conciders the Boswell family a VERY straight up-NON arrogant good all around HARD working people who simply love pipes, pipe tobacco, and those who CHERISH pipes, and pipe smoking I take great offense to some of the posts on the review of this blend. Its one thing to simply NOT like a blend, or brand, but to outright post attacks against these folks is PLAIN wrong. I recently decided to get 3 oz. of the Boswells best with my 14th boswell pipe. It is a simple, and subtle blend that I love as it does not overwhelm the palate, and I HIGHLY recommend it to the novice pipe smoker. It has a nice slightly vanilla yet nice rounded tobacco flavor that will not knock ones socks off with flavor, and strength. This is a blend that is nice for an all day smoke that for me fills in a gap of tobaccos that are of the English nature that I crave, and yet from time to time when I tell myself I do not want latakia blends, English, heavy aromatics, or many times I simply cannot make up my mind what I want to put in my pipe--this is it. It is a nice blend to pack up the pipe--sip a nice beverage, and watch the stars around a warm evening fire. I have yet to have ANY of my friends complain about its room note, as they say it smells subtle, and warm to the point they want to take a puff off of my pipe. This is one of the most subtle, over all warm, and inviting blends from those around me that do not smoke pipes. The over all smoking pleasure of this one is a SUPER nice break from heavier stuff that has left me keeping this blend in my rotation. I highly recommend this to anyone seeking a soft, subtle, and peaceful smoke that WILL NOT bite your tongue, and is a wonderful relaxing smoke.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Boswell's Best is like 1Q on steriods.

I keep smoking more and more of this and can't get over what a cool/dry smoke this is compared to other cavendish type blends. The true tobacco flavor shines through... not just the "goop" flavor of sugar casing, which is a real plus for me.

I have a big jar of this and would smoke it all day if I could. Only drawback is that is very mild and does not have much nicotine. That is good sometimes.

Highly Recommended.

Sumosized Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sumosized (7)

I have tried four of Boswell's tobaccos. Boswells best is just as the other three.... wonderful. I love the pouch aroma. It gives a sweet and subtle tickle to the nose. It lights nice, and burns very well. I have had zero tongue bite. I would highly suggest this tobacco if you are an occasional or full time aromatic smoker.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Lovely dessert smoke - pouch smell is sweet, fruity, slightly chocolatey. Smoking it you can taste mild vanilla, and slight cocoa. The room note is really good, pleasant, and sweet. Wasn't too moist out of the bag, but I did still let it dry for a bit. Smoked to a nice ash. No bite. Good for any time of day!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat

Purchased From: JM Boswell's

pennjersey83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pennjersey83 (11)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Boswell makes amazing aromatics and this one is no different. The vanilla comes through in smell and taste. It is a sweet and cool smoke which I enjoy. I will order more soon.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (21)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Opening a 1 year 7 month old jar revealed thin ribbons of tobacco in shades of creamy browns with black. There were smells of vanilla with a hint of cocoa present. The moisture level was just about right for me and a little on the dry side. An unlit sip after loading a bowl brought vanilla cream and a light milk chocolate flavor to my tongue.

On the initial light a very light vanilla cream taste was pretty consistent with this blend. Overall it tasted of vanilla cream with a light milk chocolate every now and then. At times a pronounced sour taste would appear after the sweetness dissipated. I thought it might just be a sour pipe at first, but it happened in several different briars, so I'm chalking it up to the tobacco. It wasn't a bad sour taste, just not something I cared for. All in all this blend was pretty bland to me. The room note was pleasant and toasty, and the finish left a musty and sour taste on the tongue for quite some time.

There was nothing at all wrong with this blend if you like vanilla aromatics, it just didn't ring any bells for me. I think if wasn't so burned out on the vanilla flavor I may have enjoyed it more since it did not seem to burn too hot with my smoking style. I would recommend Boswell's Best for anyone who likes a light vanilla aromatic that doesn't seem to overheat too easily.

ravkesef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ravkesef (10)

I must agree with Pipedoctor, and state that I, too, detect a strong topnote of chocolate rather than vanilla. But it doesn't matter what you call it, this is one fine tobacco. Everyone on both ends of the pipe, the smoker and those surrounding him or her, is likely to enjoy this blend. It offends no one, and is more than likely to delight everyone. SWMBO comments that this is “wonderful,” and it's hard to imagine anyone saying anything different.

Add to that what almost everyone who comments on Boswell has stated: this company is a pleasure to deal with. When I phone in, whoever answers the phone knows who I am, what my ordering history has been, is ready to offer good and valid suggestions for pipes and tobaccos, and if you buy or don't buy, they're just as nice and friendly. Do I ever get frustrated? Yes, if I'm not at the website at the stroke of 9:30 on a Thursday (or Wednesday) morning, to find the week's offering of pipes sold out. I'm the proud owner of three Boswell pipes, and if I had 30, I'd be even happier. Somehow the Boswells produce handmade pipes that are worth far more than they charge for them (don't let them know—we don't want to see the prices go up.) and tobaccos that are at the top of an art form, again reasonably priced.

Pipedoctor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedoctor (9)

Am I crazy, or does this blend taste of chocolate too? Actually, I barely get the vanilla, all I get is chocolate. Or maybe my taste buds are off idk.. I haven't tried 1Q but this reminds me a lot of captain black royal (which was one of my favorite blends at one point) only it's 10 times better. Burns slower, cooler, and it's a lot tastier! In love with this.

Also wanted to confirm what everyone says, the Boswells are just a pleasure to deal with. They are so friendly, they make you feel like you've been good friends with them for years, even if it's your first time calling. Love their pipes, and Tobacco. If you haven't dealt with them yet, you should start now.

wekers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wekers (14)

Have no anything special, It's Simple and Traditional tobacco, burn some hot, nice room note, very light flavor, in taste i see cavendish, some virginia and little burley. Remember Captain Black, but with more quality. Boswell is incredible, not bite tongue. It's for all day!

smokeymountainmike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeymountainmike (10)

I'm a Big fan of anything boswells, and this blend is at the top of my list. It's an all day blend that stays cool and has zero bite. The hint of vanilla adds just the right amount of sweetness without ruining the tobacco flavor. As with all of Boswells aromatics...Please allow some time for this blend to dry a bit before you smoke it. You will be rewarded with a nice mild smoke with just enough flavor to keep you smiling all day long.

smoke dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke dog (10)

i purchased 2 oz of this fine tobacco and smoked it out of my boswell i just bought. out of the bag it is very pleasant. it has a chocolate/nutty scent which is very nice. smokes cool but a bit moist. it gummed up my heel a bit but it wasnt a real issue. absolutly no tongue bite and the room note is great. another noble and masterful blend by the boswells.

Loser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loser (10)

this blend screams of cherry in the bag and in the pipe! i love the taste of the smoke and people around me love the smell. in one night i was standing outside having a bowl at work and everyone that walked past me complimented the flavor in the air.

my favorite compliment was:

"I don't know how your lungs are doing but you better keep smoking that cuz you're making everyone around you happy!"

darkmoto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
darkmoto (6)

Pretty easy to smoke light aromatic. I smoked through 4oz of the stuff and I honestly wont be getting it again but if you are looking for a mild allday blend this could be it

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Defending A. Morley might seem unpopular but that's what I was ready to do after a few bowls of this. Ok, not his attitude, but his comment that this was re-packaged 1-Q. It smells like 1Q in the pouch, it tasted like 1Q and the room aroma was like 1Q. That left me wondering if there was some truth to Morley's accusations. I mean, surely no one would defend a tobacconist taking credit for someone else's blend, right?

But the more I smoked, the more I thought something was different. I couldn't place it and I tried and tried. I ruled out the aroma right away as the difference. Having some 1Q on hand, I finally did two back-to-back comparisons. Sure enough, the Boswell's tasted like 1Q but there was something different. The Boswell's smoked... drier, somehow. I realized I had missed what should be obvious when smoking an aromatic - the number of pipecleaners one has to use during the smoke and the amount of wet goo in the heel of the pipe afterward.

So what did Boswell do to the moisture content??? The blend is nicely moist but smokes dry! How'd they do that??? Is it my imagination? I'll have to try some more and see. But if Captain Black Royal is the "pool" of 1Q and 1Q is drier but still a bit too moist, Boswell's Best is like your lawn 10 minutes after a gentle summer rain. The moisture got in and then got zapped out. But it's still IN there somehow; it just doesn't come out in the smoke. I repeat: How'd they DO that???

earlr1957 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earlr1957 (8)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

When I opened the bag notice a hint of vanilla. Moisture content perfect. Easy to light and stay lit. Has a good taste. Just a touch of casing flavor. Burns all the way down. Not making your pipe oily at bottom of bowl. You could smoke this all day, and as often as you would like. Aroma in room is not over powering, but noticeable. No one should complain of the pleasant aroma it produces. This is a keeper.

gorealestate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gorealestate (28)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

OK?..I SEE THIS BLEND REVIEW HAS HAD SOME HOT-HEADS VOICING THEIR OPINIONS OTHER THAN WHAT THIS SITE IS INTENDED FOR. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO PEOPLES OPINIONS, WE ARE REVIEWING THE BLEND, NOT THE FOLKS THAT MAKE IT OR HOW IT IS COMPARED TO OTHER BLENDS.

So?to review this BLEND (not the people that make it! That?s what we?re here for right?!) :-)

I ordered this blend based on the name so had to give it a try. The pouch aroma is very light with a very slight nutty scent. Upon lighting this up, I didn?t notice anything special that would make this Boswell?s ?best?. To me, it is a very basic flavor with not much going on with it. I guess it would be a good all-day smoke. For me, I like a bit more character in my smoke. Felt like smoking air. I didn't notice much of a difference if any with "Dan's Blend". If your looking for flavor, this one lacks it! Very boring.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

A. Morley is nothing but another one of those "Tobacco Snobs" that enjoys slandering and defaming people and there products/services on a forum with little to no supervision, where he knows he can get away with it. Listen Pal, take your attitude and your Pipe and expensive high end Tinned Tobacco and crawl back under your rock....The Boswell's are fine folks and their Pipes and Tobacco's are EXCELLENT...So, get over yourself!! ==UPDATE 5-30-08== This is definitely NOT 1Q! Smooth smoking with no bite, this is a great all day blend! Along with Sweet Tea, this is another FANTASTIC Blend from these fine folks!! Five Stars!!!!!

Mikey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikey (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

To A. Morley

This forum was craeted for the purpose of reviewing the quality and enjoyment associated with the art of smoking pipe tobacco. My 40 + years of pipe smoking has proven to me that taste perception is truly subjective. My favorite tobacco for over 30 years was Holiday, an English/American blend that is no longer available. Certainly it would be repulsive to many pipers. I am now a full English lover and devote my hobby to the blends I most enjoy. I have tried many blends in my attempt to find a close match to Holiday. I bought a fine pipe and bosley's burley and boswell's best from J.M. I am not a lover of aromatics or light aromatics. I found Bosley's best to be a delicious Burley based light aromatic with just the right touch of sweet black cavendi sh to fill out the blend. This was however was not what I was looking for. I do, however smoke this blend occasionally as a change of pace. I think the Bosley's are fine people. Their long success as pipe craftsmen and tobacconists is a testament that cannot be denied. My Father and his best friend Lud Dornik, both good and thoughtful men, introduced me to the great pleasures of pipe smoking. I take great offense at your vitriolic and mean spirited attack on the Boswell's. You are obviously inexperienced. Your angry narrative will only serve to hasten the death of one of life's true pleasures. Please limit your future posts to the purpose for which this forum was created. Express your personal and subjective reviews and ratings to the tobaccos you do or do not enjoy.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Ah, a little dissent in the ratings. Since A Morley smokes and highly rates Carter Hall and Price Albert along with many other blends he has recommended I couldn't really call him a pipe snob, but I wondered if he or Ben was correct about the House of Boswell. Sorry A M, I think Ben and all the others have a better grasp on this one. Boswell's Best is a classic smoke. Well rounded, no bite, and for lack of a better term, a thoughtful puffing tobacco. Of course taste is subjective, but you seem to have a wide palate range so maybe you just had a batch that hadn't been handled correctly, who knows? As for the Boswells, I guess I also am just a guffawing yokel because I like good friendly customer service, quality pipes (smoke better than any of my high end Peterson's)and value for my money. I give Boswell's Best 3 and 1/2 stars and that only because I like their Paradise blend just a bit more and I gave it 4 stars.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is 1-Q. 1-Q, do you hear me? 1-Q. That's all.

The Boswells are a lot of guffawing yokels who make, ugly, unwieldy pipes with poor grain and a host of other flaws. Worst of all the take some of the most common bulk aromatics out there and pawn them off on the unsuspecting as somehow being original. The best that I have ever known them to do is to take a few existing aromatics and blend those together. It's not hard to do, so get over it.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The vanilla in this aromatic is not for this reviewer the dominant theme, very smooth, mild, with a vanilla undertone down the entire bowl. Believe that in this blend I have reached my quest for an all day smoke vanilla blend, excellent in every regard.

DaveBL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveBL (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My favorite aromatic, I keep a pound or so here at all times. Smokes clean and dry, vanilla type aromatic that still has a good tobacco flavor. Great blend for beginning pipe smokers and still saitisfying enough for the more experienced esp when smoking in public as you will never be asked to put your pipe down

TOMMYBIRD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TOMMYBIRD (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is the definition of an 'all day smoke'.

Cavendish/Virgina/Burley all detected with a very, very light vanilla flavoring added.

This stuff burns really easy; normally just with one light (after the false light) for me. You don't have to think about smoking it while smoking it.

Strength is mild and would be appropriate for the morning and afternoon. Room note is not offensive.

Nothing really stands out about this blend...maybe that is why I like it so much.

bronxbill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bronxbill (10)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

If an aromatic cavendish is your thing, this is your blend. A nice sweetness along with a modest tobacco flavor highlights this blend. It smokes fairly dry although it does seem to contain a quantity of PG. I have no problem smoking this to the bottom of the bowl and it does not goop up the pipe. I would suggest using a pipe dedicated to aromatics or a cob when testing this tobacco because it does leave a ghost

Selly501USA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Selly501USA (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A pleasant, manly smoke.

To me this blend has a pouch fragrance of rich cavendished and sweet dark Virgina laced with vanilla and something akin to maple-caramel touched with dark chocolate. Beautiful clouds of creamy smoke throughout, cool-burning, with flavors of vanilla, maple, caramel, marshmallow and chocolate appearing and reappearing above the sweet taste of cavendish and Virginia from start to finish, an unusually consistent thing for an aromatic. I sensed a trace of simple burley goodness in the mix. It's like smoking a vanilla pancake with maple syrup, if possible, so much so that it's a shade sweet to me. The room note is a delight, but outdoors it has a commanding, majestic note: rich, elegant, a touch sophisticated, but unpretentious and clean; masculine and thoughtful. The phrase "restrained luxury" comes readily to mind. Just the faintest touch of moisture was left in the heel of my dedicated cob when finished. No ghosting. Boswell's Best does get better with a few months' age and the usual Mason jar TLC-treatment. As has been said so many times already by others, a top shelf, go-to, all day aromatic. Thank you for your time.

Pipe Used: MM General Filtered

Purchased From: J.M. Boswell and Son

Similar Blends: Lane Ltd. 1-Q, Captain Black Royal.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

Taste very mild, mostly Cav. Slight vanilla/chocolate mix. Halfway through, no flavor. Harsh, hot. Like a cigarette. No bad aftertaste, but I don't want any more of this blend.

FTF13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FTF13 (9)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very mild, cool all dayer & a keeper for me. Absolutely NO bite...None whatsoever...very, very mellow cool smoke with the perfect amount of vanilla & what I believe are hints of caramel. My # 2 blend behind Boswell Apple Strudel. Very enjoyable and smoooooth !

Devoto18 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devoto18 (4)
Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

A-MAZ-ING. This is probably the best aromatic blend I have ever had in my three or four years of pipe smoking. It almost actually tastes like the room note, which is pretty rare in my experience. I like most Boswell aromatics and their Northwoods, but I think this may be my new go to aromatic. If you haven't tired it, you owe it to yourself to experience an ounce or two.

castello man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
castello man (13)

I'm a fan of Boswell's tobaccos, but this isn't one my faves. It's a very light, easy going blend, but for me it's not,for lack of a better word, tasty enough. I personally prefer a more flavored smoke. The aroma is OK as well, but nothing special.

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)

Before I saw the reviews for Boswells Best, the number of stars I would of awarded would of been 3. Low and Behold I share something in common with other smokers. BB is a smooth smoke with a wonderful sweet aroma out of the bag. I could easily make this my everyday smoke and can see why this is a likable blend but for me it lacked something.I do recommend this however. Its not called Boswells Best for no reason. For me,3 stars.

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Not bad, but not spectacular. I prefer other boswell blends over this one.

Windstrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Windstrider (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

This is the first blend I tried from boswells and it did not dissappoint. It lights well, burns easy and unlike some other vanilla blended stuff i have tried, doesn't cook you from chin to nose. Although the base flavor is light and doesn't overwhelm the clean tobacco flavor, it does have subtle nuances of vanilla that show up throughout the course of a bowl. It could just be me but i also pick up a little bit of caramel. The room note is a sweet, clean smell that shouldn't offend anyone around, and several of my friends say it reminds them of a vanilla latte. Burns down to nice, fine ash and does not goop the bowl. As with all aromatics, smoke it in a dedicated pipe to get the most out of this blend. Its a great allday smoker and you can go through several bowls without burning or drying your mouth out.

kkgtyf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kkgtyf (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my all time favorite pipe tobacco. Others have said this is a copy of Lane 1Q. I notice a difference between the two. This have more taste and sweetness than 1Q. It tastes amazing, it smokes great, it smells great. I can smoke this for hours and not get tired of it.

In my opinion Boswell's have made a masterful blend here. I buy 4oz at a time of this stuff, and I usually buy 1-2oz at a time, so that's saying something.

I recommend this to any aromatic lover, you shouldn't be disappointed. The smell when opening the bag...my gosh!

Rev. Avery Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Avery (9)

I've not had 1Q so I can't speak to that issue. One day I will and then make my own comparison. I honestly don't believe Boswells would buy and sell it as their own. With that said ... I do like this one a lot and will be getting more of it. As always with Boswell this is quality.

smokeybandit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeybandit (12)

I must say this is not one of my favorites from the Boswell's. It's certainly not their "best" in my opinion. It is a very mild smoke with not much going on. Not bad, just nothing special.

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)

Well for being "Boswells Best"...I just had to try it. Besides the obvious things it has going for it such as smoking great, no bite, great aroma in the pouch and room note...etc, it just has nothing to offer my tastes. It's just too mild, all the way around. Mild, Mild, Mild...

There is a touch of vanilla in there and a zesty-ness from time to time throughout the bowl but I keep telling myself I won't be getting this again. It's labled as an all day smoke, so I guess it is just that...but really it doesn't do anything for me. Decent tobacco flavor and the pros I mention above but otherwise it comes off pretty flat to me.

mr.murphy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.murphy (1)

When I opened the bag of this particular tobacco, I was greeted with an almost raisin like scent with maybe a hint of vanilla. It has a quite sweet and pleasant smell. It had a desirable moisture content so it was easy to light and keep lit. The first flavors I tasted were quite similar to the smell of the tobacco with some vanilla and that warm raisiny scent. I would consider this a pretty mild aromatic, and it did have a good tobacco taste which I liked. I smoked it in my Boswell Classic Swirl and I would say it was a quite enjoyable smoke. I would recommend that you pick up an ounce or two and try it if you enjoy a mild aromatic.

smokey stover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey stover (11)

A nice all around tobacco. It smokes well-doesn't bite and has a pleasant aroma. You could easily make this your all day smoke.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I agree to many Tobacco snobs. Part of the fun about smoking a pipe is trying other blands when you get a chance. And as I said before not to compare them to your favorite blend. But rate them on their own merit. Now back to Boswell's best. This is actually much more of high grade burley with a dash of Cavendish added. The contents line should be corrected. A wonderful smooth blend. A nice aroma of nutty burley with vanilla. You could really smoke this one bowl after bowl and probally wouldn't get that tired of it. Great stuff for the Burley lover. A must for the Burley smoker. Another wondeful Boswell Blend. Please both the smoker and all those around.

Ankara_Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ankara_Dave (7)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Before leaving civilization for the wilds of Anatolia, I lived quite close to the Boswells. I must say their pipes that I bought are of good quality, smoke well, and are good looking. As for their "Best" blend, it's subtle, somewhat sweet, and not overly flavored. But as a testament to my fondness of this stuff, I always seem to have a pouch full of it despite living 5000 miles from Chambersburg.