Full and rich and superbly made with a cavendish blend, along with burley with a pinch of cherry. Bursting with rich flavors and smoothness. One of J.M.'s favorites to smoke, which he masterfully blended back when he was 20 years old.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
Blended ByJ.M. Boswell
ContentsBurley, Cavendish
FlavoringCherry, Cocoa / Chocolate
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This would be a great starter blend. The Boswells are deservedly famous for their aromatics, and this blend is no exception.

Pouch aroma is great. Not as much cherry as in their Cherry Smash, but enough to tell it's there. Stayed lit just fine.

Upon lighting, the cherry flavor was present, but certainly not overwhelming. Later in the bowl, the cherry topping seemed to wear off, and the nuttiness of the burley began to shine through.

Excellent quality tobacco, a superb choice for aro smokers, but just too mild for me.

*UPDATE: Went back to the bag, aging has not helped this blend. Now it tastes mostly of chemicals. The rich, nutty burley flavor is long gone. Still recommended, but smoke it fresh!

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Wow, was I surprised. I received this blend as a gift and when I opened the bag, I smell a deep cherry like aromatic and thought, well, I will try it and if I don't like it I will just dump it and move on. So in the pouch, besides the really sweet aroma, the tobacco was dark with a mix of black and brown tobacco in a ribbon cut. It was a little moist but not enough to stick together like a lot of aromatics do. i loaded easily into my pipe, a big pot, and I proceeded to light up. My first impression was that is was not anything like the pouch aroma in that it was very mild and non impressive. I stayed with it awhile and suddenly there was a burst of flavor that kept developing as I smoked on. After about a 1/4 bowl smoked, this stuff was intoxicating. I could not put it down. It was deep, and rich and the room note even while I was smoking it was simply wonderful. It is a cherry type blend but not the cheap lifesaver type of cherry. I could also taste tobacco and it just satisfied a sweet tooth that I did not know i had at the time. It stayed lit quite well too, and burned down nice and slow. I only had to relight one time. It burned down to the bottom of my pipe and left only a touch of moisture and little dottle and lots of grey fine ash. I am not usually a cherry lover but I just simply enjoyed this blend very much. I recommend this highly and do state to stay with it at first and you will be rewarded. A great aromatic blend for when you want something sweet.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Boswells' aromatics are fantastic. They do not mask inferior tobaccos with heavy casings. This blend has the aroma of a sweet cherry cordial. When I first opened the plastic back in which they sent it to me, I instinctively wanted to eat some of it as it reminded me of of those chocolate covered cherries with the liquid center. I love the beautiful coarse cut (very rustic), and it lights/burns beautifully. The sweet cherry flavor was most pronounced it the beginning, but was present throughout. The burley added some nice cocoa and nut flavors that complement the sweet black Cavendish and cherry flavors wonderfully. I sip it gently as it can get hot. It can also get a little gurgly which is the case with aromatics. It can also nip the tongue a bit, but with no real long-lasting discomfort. This is a favorite of mine in the aromatics category. It is the equivalent in culinary terms of a comfort food. Mmmmm...mmm.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Really enjoyed this. Smoked in a new handmade pipe, and it was sweet and delicious. Mild - not too over powering, slightly chocolatey with hints of cherry. Lasted a while, it was a little moist by the end - I could see moisture in the pipe at the heel. But I enjoyed it so much. Bag smell was SO good and tasty, and of course the room note was terrific - kind of like mildly toasted marshmallows.

Pipe Used: Handmade mini Poker by Prairie Piper

Purchased From: JM Boswell

Similar Blends: Boswell's No Bite De Lite.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I got an ounce of this great stuff free upon purchasing a pipe at Boswell's earlier this year. Much of what I said in Boswell's Paradise review holds true with this blend also—like Paradise, PDT is an additive stew, albeit a well-crafted one. As like many other reviewers, I'm not much for cherry blends. Most cherry blends fail to hide their craft, the cherry additive is too obvious, not so with PDT. The additive is blended, melded one could say, very harmoniously with the tobacco—well done! The taste is outstanding and the smoke is smooth and creamy. It also has a refreshingly cool side stream. For me, it's an every once and awhile smoke, as I generally find these type of concoctions too sweet (it's no different here). Still, if one is to smoke a cherry based blend, this is the one. As for PDT's aromatic qualities, I can't say, I usually smoke outside and, therefore, cannot register a room note. I would consider this a "cross-over" blend, half aromatic, half non-aromatic. Recommended.

Pipe Used: And again, another Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: ?

matthieuduquette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matthieuduquette (12)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

-After several more bowls I haven't changed my mind on the following review.

Pennsylvania Dutch Treat is so far my favorite offering from JM Boswell.

In the bag, this course cut tobacco has the aroma of a chocolate cherry cordial. The blend appears to be dominantly Cavendish with maybe 1/3 Burley. This aesthetic blend reinforces to me the look of a chocolate covered cherry. Dark and rich with a hint of bright sweetness.

One of the best overall smoking experiences I have had. Never needed a relight. Yielded about a 45 minute smoke and didn't burn hot. Just a little bite but very little. No gurgle. The taste is quite sweet. Tastes just like I described in the bag. Though less intense than the cherry. The chocolate flavor I detected in the bag does come through in the taste if you get the smoke to the right places in your mouth.

Room note is just as good as the rest of the experience. Best aromatic room note I have experienced so far.

Very much enjoyed this blend. It will likely become one of my standards.

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (20)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

While I have never been a fan of cherry tobaccos, this blend would be the exception. Don't think for a minute that this is sickeningly sweet and wet like Paladin, just the opposite. A very pleasant and mild cherry flavor with wonderful burning qualities, I would definitely recommend this blend. This is the only cherry flavored pipe tobacco in my rotation, and deservedly so.

wbradk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wbradk (5)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

One of my very favorite. Very pleasant taste and room note. Cherry notes, but so much more. Highest recommendation. So far, all of the blends that I have tried from this fine company have been very good, but this one is nothing short of spectacular.

Pipe Used: various

Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice blend. Majority of my tobaccos are English, so I prefer a fuller aromatic. This blend is wonderful I'd agree with a previous comment on the Cherry Pie flavor, there is something more than just Cherry so Cherry Pie seems fitting, and a nice flavor of chocolate as well.

I'd also say the NIC is stronger than Northwoods, it isn't an Old Joe Krants NIC but it's a little more than Northwoods which is a very nice plus with an aromatic for me. Definitely going to reserve a pipe just for this blend.

Pipe Used: Viprati

Jwr.nps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jwr.nps (6)
Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

Cherry Bubble-Yum, this is exactly what I remember it tasting like-and I hated it as gum and moreso as a tobacco. It doesn't bite and it's not painful to smoke, but is perfumed heavily with artificial cherry gum. I do like an aromatic and even enjoy some fruit flavored aro's, but I want to taste tobacco as well and I didn't get past the cherry gum in this. Dumped it mid-bowl and will be giving away the rest of the ounce I bought.

Pipe Used: Dunhill group 4 pot

Purchased From: Boswell's

Similar Blends: Cherry Bubble-Yum.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As cherry blends go, this is not a bad tobacco. Pleasant pouch and room note. But little too weak for my tastes and it got a little bitter toward the bottom of the bowl. Compared to the Paladin and Middleton my dad smoked, it is much better, but compared to most bulk cherry blends it is average, if not a little uninspired

Purchased From: Boswell

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Middleton's Cherry Blend right here, folks... even down to the coarse cut of the leaf. A very laid back blend with the cherry flavoring dealt with a restrained hand that kept the palate from being overwhelmed. No, not a lot of strength either. One thing this blend did do was leave a very strange sort of aftertaste in my mouth after consumption. Aromatic fans should like this one. And don't be put off by the cherry taste, it really wasn't anything like Luden's.

Retreiverguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Retreiverguy (2)
Very Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A very mild and sweet taste. Excellent room note. I smoke this once or twice every few months; it's a good break from my regulars. Seems to age well, I'm still working on a few ounces I bought 2 years ago and keep in my basement where it's cool and dry. Tobacco is in Mason jars and this one is very pleasant when the jar is opened.

Pipe Used: Peterson Shannon

Purchased From: Boswell Pipes, Chambersburg, PA

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The average rating on this blend is quite high. My take is different- this is rather pedestrian. Rather than read through and cloud my review I'll step right in and rate it and go back to see what I'm missing.

Among aromatics I would say cherry is probably my favorite, followed by straight vanillas. I picked this as my free ounce with my pipe order. There is a lot to recommend and admire with Boswell's; nice handcrafted pipes at a very affordable price point, great shop, focus on customer service, and a commitment to creating their own blends rather than renaming (or not for the uninspired) a big manufacturer's bulk. I suspect these incidentals are worth a star or two to many.

The appearance and pouch note are nice. I describe this as a kind of cube cut, and this is a clearly a blend with dark Cavendish with burleys and maybe Virginia from gold to dark brown. A sugary aroma predominates with a nice cherry note of moderate strength. It seems like it will be a real treat but my anticipation didn't match the experience. While it looks and smells better than most comparable blends it doesn't taste or act much different. The cherry flavor is mild, which is perfectly fine, but after 10% of the bowl it is a phantom. Counter to all my instincts, I wish it was more highly flavored or at least had some staying power. Basically most of the time it's a straight black Cavendish, and I am no great lover of these. That said its not bad as far as those go in that it isn't sickly sweet, but rather has a caramel taste that frequently blends to a vanilla component. What's disappointing in particular are those strong casings/humecants. Have a suspicion that a small shop crafting their own blends is going to take a lighter touch with those products? I did, and I was wrong. The old familiar synthetic burning aftertaste is there and can be quite strong and certainly no better than the largest mass market products in that respect. To its credit it wasn't sopping wet, the moisture was actually fine but it hasn't changed a lick in the 10 months I've had it in a zip lock.

The final verdict is as follows: it's an acceptable product, but I have reservations. For aromatic fans I think the rapid loss of the main aromatic component, cherry, is a problem. For those that are looking for a change of pace and occasional smoke of a subtler aromatic the use of humecants and that terrible burning plastic background are knocks.

footlooset Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
footlooset (23)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A pleasant mild light cherry flavor with no bite and a nice room note. No my favorite, I prefer, Christmas Cookie, Hunters Choice, and Pipers Pleasure. It is worth a try, you may like it.

Pipe Used: Trovato Pipa Pietro Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: fresh from Boswells

Purchased From: Boswellpipes.com

LuntingCelt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LuntingCelt (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is just another vanilla blend. Nothing unique or different really. Not bad. Not the best. Certainly not a stand out. I wouldn't buy it again as I'm not into basic vanilla blends. If you are looking for something vanilla, this will do the trick.

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

PA Dutch treat is a solid aromatic by boswells again. That is if you like cherry flavor tobacco. For myself I am not real big on cherry blends to begin with and have just had bad experiences with them. This blend has made me reconsider a bit because it really has been the first cherry blend that didn't bite nor burn too hot. So that being said that's a real positive if you want to try it or are into cherry blends. Now to the review upon opening this bag it was a very decent cherry scent with mild hints of vanilla (if your searching for it). The tobacco was easy to work with and upon being lit stayed lit well for a good 50 -55 minute smoke. For the room aroma it was once again very favorable and was enjoyed by non smokers, but that's what aromatics are designed for. The tobaccos taste wasn't actually an overpowering cherry but it had a good tobacco taste as well. So you know there were no mediocre tobaccos put into this mix. Overall I would recommend this to cherry addicts as well as people who are just starting into pipe smoking because aromatics is really where to start. I hope this helps people out and enjoy everyone!

Pipe Used: Meerschaum.

Purchased From: J.M Boswell Chambersburg Pa www.boswellpipes.com

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Wow... totally surprised by this blend. I'm not a typical cherry blend smoker, but this was REALLY tasty. I was almost afraid by the smell in the pouch... it almost smelled overly sweet and flowery. But I packed the pipe and drew through it to check my packing technique. It was already sweet and tasty and it wasn't even lit yet! Once I lit it- it got even better. Sweet but not overly so. The cherry flavor was perfectly balanced with the other Cavendish and burleys hidden under the sweetness. Room note is heavenly... great balance of the sweet and the rest of the tobacco scents. Between the sweetness in the air and on my tongue, I found myself puffing like a chimney. Unfortunately I think I burned the bottom of the bowl.. after I let it go out to cool, the relite was a little harsh and chemical tasting.. similar to other deep aromatics I've had. The sweetness was gone but the rest of the flavor is still there and just as nice. I'm blaming this on me though. I'll try again and try to hold back a little to see if it really was my fault or not. Either way this is an awesome, extremely mild smoke that really surprised me with its flavor and room note compared to the smell in the bag. I can see reaching for this over and over again!

Pipe Used: My very first briar-from 20 years ago

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Boswell's B+M visit

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)

Smoking Pennsylvania Dutch Treat has cleared for this smoker many of the misconceptions and prior experiences of what an aromatic can be. As a genre, our tales of scorched tongues and soggy pipes, and monotone flavors are the price to pay. This stuff has none of that.

Bag aroma is a delightful cherry pie filling. A little air time needed as this is a bit moist. An hour on a plate, or carry for a bit in your tobacco pouch and its perfect. After much experimentation, I have found this tobacco just phenomenal for me in a Brog pear wood pipe model called the Amigo.

Tobacco lights and burns well and leaves light colored ash. Able to consume a whole bowl with few relights. Flavor is more of a light cherry tartness. Not cloying to this smoker. The cavendish adds sweetness. The burley adds some depth but hard to discern as an individual component. This profile maintains through the bowl and you taste good tobacco. No dottle or sliminess.

Great when a change of pace is in order to refresh the taste buds or I can't figure out what I want to smoke every several days. Gonna order a pound to keep around in the rotation. Recommended.

wekers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wekers (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

it's a nice aromatic cherry tobacco and this no bite tongue, thats is amazing. at the same time is light and heavy. I'm a BIG fan of boswell blend's. only if you like of cherry, try it.

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (20)

While I'm not a cherry flavored tobacco enthusiast, this blend is THE cherry blend IMHO. Not too sweet or wet, pleasant flavor and aroma, if you do like cherry flavored pipe tobacco, you will certainly enjoy this blend.

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The first of the Boswell series that I tried around Christmas 2010-11. I didnt get the mild cherry sensation the first time I tried it and was unimpressed. The second go around, NICE! This is a really smooth smoke with no bite with a hint of cherry 1/4 down the bowl. And as many have stated before me the Boswells are first rate blenders and first rate people!Nice to work with! Highly recommended blend. Even if your not an aro smoker, this might get you started.

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (8)

This is excellent quality tobacco. In the pouch, it smells like something you'd want to eat, and while smoking the same flavours in the bag can be clearly identified. The taste of the tobacco is very sweet and satisfying. If smoked fast, it can get wet, but very measured puffs bring maximum enjoyment and the true character of this blend out. Again, the fine folks at Boswell's have done it again. I'm getting more of this!

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (27)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I am lucky enough to live very close to the Boswell store in Chambersburg, Pa. I now own 9 of their pipes, and will aquire more. The Pa. Dutch Treat is exceptional to say the least. The cherry flavoring is just right. This is as already stated the cherry type blend that in my humble opinion all other blends like it should be judged against. I like aromatics from time to time, and this is one that I HIGHLY score a SOLID 5 stars plus. The Boswells have some of the finest blends available today for the pipe smoker. I like many of their blends, but this review is solely for their Pa. Dutch Treat. May I suggest that if you are having doubts about trying it, and you are an aromatic lover, and have yet to try it---get some, and as J.M. Boswell would say load up your pipe, and "get-on-it". To J.M., Dan, and Gail along with Alex at Boswells---Great job.