Borkum Riff Vanilla Cavendish is a premium quality refined mix of dark Kentucky and Burley tobacco enhanced with the finest vanilla. The blend is heavily fermented to give a balanced, harmonious smoke with a fresh, accessible nature.

BrandBorkum Riff
1.5
ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (12)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Stay away from this one guys, It buns fast, it kills the tongue and tastes more ash than vanilla. The only positive comment I can give is that the room note is very pleasant. It is a better blend to smell rather than smoke.

They say one of the toppings is whiskey, but I only get an alcohol, chemical taste from that. The vanilla is watered down, no richness. A hint of Virginia arises if you smoke it slowly. And you'd better smoke it slowly, because it's bitey as BR products tend to be. It burns well and doesn't leave much moisture at the bottom of the bowl, but that's no reason to buy it. There are many vanilla flavored blends that give a richer, more pleasing experience, and I'd recommend almost all of them over this. I couldn't even say it's a good starter mixture in the genre. Look around for better. It won't be hard to do.

cpasco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cpasco (1)

I felt the vanilla only when I opened the pouch. The vanilla taste is not present on the smoke. Unfortunately bite the tongue like a hungry snake, from the start to the end!

Javierchu_cai Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Javierchu_cai (6)
Mild Very Strong Full Pleasant

Artificial flavor, bites and burns very hot with high humidity. Very bland, has in its favor as it has very good room note.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

its very good lend,,if u want to quit smoking indeed,,,first few puffs u get the vanilla n after tht comes the heavy casing which distort ur tongue,,nuthing bt the casing sweetness is there too many promises non fulfilled,,burn into white lumpy ashes,,constant tamping is required,,aroma is decent thu,,wont b on my list

Jose The Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jose The Bear (10)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

If you're looking for Vanilla flavor, go some where else buddy. Aroma like some candy stuff, easy bite. Please try it if your don't want to smoke pipe no more.

Burly based blend with slight vanilla topping, the black cavendish make it sweet and quit hot burning. require slow puffing to avoid bite. Try MB Vanilla Cream for a good vanilla blend

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

Smoking this I regretted the somewhat terse review I gave Mac Baren`s Vanilla Flake. This is also Danish made, and for all I know made by Mac Baren. Difficult to recommend, difficult to smoke, it is best avoided. Compared to this many aromatics - by Mac Baren, Davidoff, Larsen et al - are works of high art.

Valerio320 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valerio320 (12)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

In my opinion, this tobacco brings to the extreme all the features that I noticed in other Borkum Riff's reviews. Vanilla taste is not as strong as in its "brother" Mc Baren; you can rather feel a sweet-sugar taste as in a grandmother cake. The sweet smoke is always coupled with a rather bitter after-taste; that sometimes gets even stronger than the main bouquet. Burley is present and stingy to the point that sometimes the smokes becomes really unpleasant. This is one of the worst vanilla tobaccos I ever tried. Probably I wasn't able to understand it, but for sure I will not buy it again.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's been a while since I smoked some of this, but let's just say that I don't keep any fond memories of it, nor have I ever bought any more of this ever since. It's kind of dull and artificial tasting, the vanilla used here doesn't taste that great anyways. I've tried so many other vanilla cavendish type of tobaccos, and this one was one of the least impressive to put it mildly. Among its group, go for something like sweet vanilla by pete stokkebye or even Mac baren's vanilla cream, those are so much better tobaccos. maybe for the novice, but why bother when there are many better brands making better stuff. Even Captain black seems a more reasonable choice than this one.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Slight vanilla taste with tongue bite, my pipe smelled like cigarette ashtray after I smoked this. it has a bittersweet taste that feels artificial.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

I got several samples of Borkum Riff Vanilla Cavendish and Champagne from my tobacconist. It's pipe tobacco like this that gives all aromatics a bad reputation. It has a very synthetic smell out of the pouch and just seems to be a poor quality leaf that's mass produced.

I think Vanilla is one of the easiest flavors to do for pipe tobacco. Cap Black White, even the Pipa Vanilla Cavendish are leaps and bounds above this. But this cannot even do that correctly. It's a strong kick of unpleasantness. I tried to go as far down the bowl as I could but only made it half way. Tongue bite on top of a terrible flavor leaving a putrid room note. I will probably never buy this company's tobacco and now I don't know what to do with the Champagne.

Pipe Used: MM General

Purchased From: Free Samples

jlmdoval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlmdoval (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

A beginners choice since it is not expensive. A trampoline to other "expensive" vanilla aromatics in the market. Easy to smoke when drier.

Be careful: It bites and bites HARD.

Areen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Areen (1)

Well as a beginners pipe smoker i'm just tasting pipe tobaccos right now. I really recommend this to the beginners pipe smoker. Specially when u mix it by your own with Alsbo Vanilla and Gold.

Lebanese Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lebanese (2)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked it as I wanted to try it.I expected a strong vanilla taste of it but it gave no vanilla taste.It was a smell of vanilla with no taste.Not recommended and I will never smoke it again.

IODA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IODA (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Still wondering where the vanilla is. Maybe because I was expecting more ... I don't know. Easy to smoke and it did not bite the tongue.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (51)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I had left at home my tobacco pouch with some fine tobacco (one Peterson special reserve) so desesperate to get something I bought this Vanilla Cavendish without much advice. Too bad for me!

In the pouch there is a dominant smell of wax (we could say fine shoe polish). Smoking is disappointing, it bites the tongue without much enjoyment.

Some pipe smokers are reluctant to try an aromatic tobacco, fearing it would be too strong or too full of unusual aromas. They should not fear that one! The vanilla touch is fully unnoticeable!

So I join the other reviewers about all they wrote!

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (48)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This was my very first pipe tobacco, and if I thought all pipe tobacco tasted like this one, I would have thrown away my pipe! This tobacco has a nice smell, but that's about it. It bites like a snake, burns a bit unevenly, and tastes like a petrol product.

PS: Avoid Borkum Riff

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Between the Borkun Riffs, this is the one of best. I enjoy this and also the Cherry Cavendish and the Honey & Orange. The smokers that like Vanilla and Aromatics may be give to this blend a chance.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This bites, and bites hard. Tried in several pipes but keeps biting, a no-go from me.

vanadium Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vanadium (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

when I opened pouch, it's smell something like cheap vanilla extract. Smoking at first time it bite me like a monster. not recommended.

Dillinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dillinger (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

It says vanilla .....!!!!!!!!!!! the vanilla vanish in the 1st 3 pufs and then it is gone lots of tounge bites i believe if you have one dont get rid of it just blend it with some regular english tobacco it will become some how tolerable

mr Afo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr Afo (5)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I start with the smell in the pouch: Not what I had hoped for. Doesn´t smell much of vanilla! It´s not really a nice smell.

However, the room note is what I would say is the best about this blend, clearly vanilla.

It´s alot of bite, even if I did puff slowly.I guess it would be really bad if I smoked it without a filter.

I sure hope there are better vanilla blends out there, that smell nice in the tin, no tounge bite, nice room note. Need to say I only tried this once.

It´s 40g pouch, not 50g

------------------------

update -I change to not recomended. It´s not good!

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Yuk. No. Absolutely not. This is filthy stuff - don't waste your money on it. I haven't yet come across a Borkum Riff tobacco that wasn't loathsome. I wonder if it's just me? As far as I'm concerned, this horrible dreck is hot and tasteless and decidedly not recommended. Clearly there's a market out there for it, though; somebody must love it. I, however, would gnaw off my own fingers before smoking it again.

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Where is the vanilla? this one is as tasteless as a bad cigarette.

craig in cam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
craig in cam (1)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Living as I now do now in SA Asia and having been a user of English blends for many years I despaired of finding a decent smoke.This is very different to what I am used to and is a much slower smoke(to avoid bite) but having mastered it I would recommend it as a good daytime smoke as long as you are prepared to take you time

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This is a kind of tobacco that I usually recommend for beginners, and as I see it is heavily criticized, and so I wouldn't have bought it ever, although some one made me a present composed of 5 pouches of this stuff, I had to give it a try and so I did. I have to say that is not as worse as people say arround, if you like mac barren you just might like this, I got no tongue bite from it, but no great satisfaction either. I won't throw it away though, I'll keep it as reserve for harsh times :).

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was wondering why the guy at the counter had a smile on his face when I bought this. Perhaps I had the word sucker written on my forehead.

I tried one bowl of this and tossed it into the closet. I told my wife not to open the closet door because there was a monster in there that bites. I wasn't kidding.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I think this tobacco is atrocious. Very strong bite and burn, and after the first few minutes all flavor is completely gone and it feels like you're smoking an exhaust pipe.

FALCON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FALCON (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I like this is the best vanilla i smoked.(i like cavendish)its got real tobacco flavour and you can feel little bit sweet vanilla no bite gonna buy again.one of my favorites in the aromatic list.this tobacco always get bad ratings that i not agree whit(can it be becuse this is a pouch tobacco) this is much better than macbaren vanilla that gets god ratings that i not understand.

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Strong

The strength is not strong, but it's why I like in this tobacco. The taste is not strong either. I would recommend this tobacco to novice smokers.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoyed this tobacco very much. The aroma is great, burns well, delivers a good flavour and aroma throughout the whole bowl and burn to fine ashes... Nothing to complain about here. As a side note, it is one of my wifes favorite room notes as well...

Mick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mick (10)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This one is very mild in taste, with the vanilla being barely noticable but definately present. I would smoke this over any Mac Baren products any day. I know there are better smokes out there, but this isn't one of the worst I've tried.