A unique mixture of white burley (rough cut & short cut), Virginia, dark burley fine cut and latakia.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

The dry, earthy, woody, mildly nutty sharp white burley takes a light lead over the toasty, earthy, nutty, slightly molasses sweet dark burley. The grassy, citrusy Virginia plays a little more than a condimental role. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is far in the background. The strength level is a little closer to medium than it is to mild The nic-hit is mild to medium. Won’t bite, but fast puffing may get you a harsh note, and there are a couple rough edges. Burns clean at a slightly slow rate with a fairly consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Has a decent, lingering after taste, and stronger room note. Not an all day smoke.

This is another fine Amar pick-up and the Latakia and Burley perform wonders as the support for the Virginias. So much so that the tobacco has a nice little nic hit with every puff. Not a blend that I would smoke all day long, but certainly one that can be enjoyed often. Not heavy but not light and for some reason, it was the Burley that really stood out for me in this one.

Fun With C&D Samples, Vol II, #2.

Another probable Bob Runowski-inspired C&D blend. Another C&D blend with a cut all over the map that looks like some amateur (like me) put it together. Another excellent tasting blend that I know I could never create.

Medium brown chop/chunk cut of primarily burley flavor with barely a hint of latakia and even less of virginia. The flavor is mild but bold. I've said this about another C&D blend but I think it really pertains to this one: This seems like C&D's "Big-n-Burley's" little brother. I love BNB and it's one of my staples. Since I love its strength and assertiveness so much, this one toned that down and hence, I loved it but loved it less. Don't get me wrong - this is an excellent tobacco. It's just a milder version of BNB for those times I want something quieter but still full of flavor. C&D really do burley very well and this is definitely one to try if you love burley, a tobacco that is more and more becoming a staple in my diet.

I've also mixed a small amount of this with C&D's Kelly's Coin with excellent results. This tones down the robustness of KC without dumbing down the flavor. I prefer this alone to that mixture but I was satisfied with the results. By itself, this is a worthy blend and should absolutely be tried by anyone that loves burley. This would be a great morning blend for BNB lovers.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)

Another excellent burley blend from C&D, Barrister's tobaccos range in color from some light yellow, to many light and medium browns, and the near black of a very few pieces of Latakia. The pouch aroma is freshly mown hay with a soft smokey note. It serves to build the smoker's anticipation. For a burley fan, it serves to activate the salivary glands.

The cut lends itself to easy packing, easy lighting, and a trouble-free burn. I average a char plus two relights for a large bowl.

The flavor of quality burley jumps proudly out front, amply rewarding the lover of that leaf. Latakia is in the far, far distance from first puff to last. VA holds back until mid bowl, at which time its subtle sweetness becomes wonderfully supportive. Both the VA and the barely-present Latakia keep the smoking experience rounded until the bottom of the bowl.

Those fond of burley will not want to miss this blend. It is a remarkably cool smoke. I especially enjoy it when smoked slowly in my large-bowl meerschaum.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Pretty plain tobacco. This is essentially a burley tobacco with tiny amounts of virginia and latakia, which really don't add a whole lot. I prefer most other C & D blends to this one.\

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

SmokeKing David

12/6/2004

I can?t believe there are no reviews for this fine tobacco. I found this blend very similar to but more toned down than Morley?s Best. The components of each are basically the same so I suspect the proportions of these components vary somewhat. Morley?s has a sharper, more pronounced taste/flavor. Barrister has a less pronounced taste but it is flavorful nonetheless. This being the case, I will call Barrister ?Morley?s Best Light.? Barrister is another of C&D?s blends that is reminiscent of classic American burley blends and burley is the predominate taste. It does not bite. If you like Morley?s Best, I think you will enjoy Barrister.

I rate this tobacco 8.7 out of 10.