This very special blend of cavendish tobaccos and orientals is limited to a run of just 500 tins. X blend has been in the making for some years, conceived, blended and tinned long before its release.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blend TypeCavendish Based
ContentsCavendish, Oriental/Turkish
Packagingtin
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Full, Overwhelming
Tolerable, Strong
1.5
dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I too am disappointed with X Blend. I am a lover of orientals and I honestly thought that the combination of orientals and an aged cavendish sounded intriguing. I imagined the cavendish would add a bit of sweetness and a mellow aftertaste to balance some of the anticipated spiciness from the orientals. My tin, I should note, is number 290 of 500 produced and has been on my shelf unopened for about 2 years. I popped the tin just prior to a trip to PA and NY last week for Thanksgiving. I am currently half way through my first bowl and am terribly underwhelmed. I think the real mistake here may have been a too heavy percentage of the cavendish. This MAY be a salvageable blend if it was heavier on the orientals... I was really looking forward to trying this and now I'm sure I won't finish this tin. It's very mild tasting, not a hot-smoking blend at all, just sort of bland. I keep thinking of damp cardboard while I'm smoking it. Not a recommended sensation or blend. Sorry, Samuel Gawith, I tried to find some redeeming characteristic but it just escapes me.

dudesmith77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dudesmith77 (3)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco to me was pretty disappointing, as until now I've had nothing but positive experiences with SG blends. It seems maybe the aging has not been kind to the cavendish here - either that or it was crummy to begin with. The predominant flavor here is kinda like the burned fatty gristle on the edge of cheap steak. I think SG shoulda cracked a tin open and sampled it before releasing this funky baccy on the pipesmoking public. Yikers...

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Strong

Unfortunately, I received a very generous sample of this in an exchange with a fellow pipe smoker. X Blend is, thankfully, a limited-edition release. I should have taken that as a sign.

I couldn't quite wrap my head around how an Oriental/Cavendish blend might be tasty in the least, and my skepticism was justified when I set all good reason and judgment aside to try X Blend. I suspect that Gawith had some tobaccos sitting around, perhaps from other experiments, and, for the sake of a good joke at the expense of those who snap up anything limited edition, tossed these bottom-shelf weeds together and tinned them. Slapping a Limited Edition label on the tins was a slick way to move this foul stuff.

Ever wanted to taste heat, smoldering plastic, charred pork, acid, and all things bitter, burned, and sour at the same time? Pack your pipe with X Blend. Want to get back at that son-of-a-bitch brother-in-law of yours who has all the $2000 high-end pipes? Encourage him to fill his best bowls with X Blend. He'll be using his fancy Danish briars as kindling to start the grill at the next family cookout.

I'd sooner use my favorite pipe as an instrument to assess my dog's stools via combustion than punish the briar with a bowl of X Blend. In fact, I feel sorry for the landfill that must accommodate the rest of the sample I discarded.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Overwhelming Strong

My first review here, so keep that in mind. I generally like SG blends. In fact, they're some of my favorites. So I was eager to try this limited edition leaf. It's now up for trade or gifting to someone who might like it, because I certainly don't. Harsh to the tongue, offensive to the nose, and generally lacking in any taste to recommend it. Unless you like the aroma of grilled beef in your tobacco, then this might be just the ticket for you. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the idea that further aging might do the trick. But since it was tinned and aged before release, I don't hold out much hope.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

After ready the other reviews and then this came to me, i was somewhat hesitant about it. It smell like cigarette tobacco in the tin and had a little of the fine ribbon cavendish cut. It packed easily in the pipe and for me it took several relights though it was not wet and left no moisture in my pipe. But from the first puff to the last it had a nice, nutty smooth smoke with just a touch of the turkish sweetness. I thought the room note was great but I was alone at the time sodon't have another opinion but why anyone would not like this tobacco that likes English is beyond me. If it were not a limited production I might add this to my regulars in rotation. I really like the flavor from beginning to end and that is how I like my tobacco. Don't be afraid to try it.

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I must disagree with my predecessors' comments in their reviews, for I find this a very pleasing tobacco indeed.

This is quite a heady mix and, as such, is best appreciated smoked slowly in a smallish (group 3 perhaps?) bowl. Packed with a moderately firm touch, it takes light easily and settles down to producing copious billows of smooth, rich and very flavourful smoke. It can bite a little and even make the head spin if puffed too quickly and greedily, so it is best to settle back in a deep armchair and relax into a surprisingly long, pleasureable and satisfying smoke.

My only regret is that it is, as it says on the tin, a "Limited Edition".