A full strength Perique blend with a generous portion of stoved red Viginia, Latakia, Turkish and rough cut burley. A surprisingly cool smoke.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeScottish
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin, Bulk
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste
Full

2.9
ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I was inspired to try this tobacco after getting a smaple of Kajun Kake from C&D at the Chicago Pipe Show. I was really impressed with this tobacco, but at $30.00 for 8oz, I thought it was too epensive. After reviewing C&D tobaccos, I decided to try Bayou Night. I think this is the best tobacco I somked in the last 42 years! It is an amazing tobacco as other reviewers have descibed, with 50% perique. This is the best perique blend I have ever smoked. I have always liked perique, but in most blends found it too spicy. The perique in Bayou Night is smooth and fruity and burns very cool. The turkish, red VA, burley and latakia play very well in the background.

What I like most about this blend is the subtle flavor change in the tobbaco as the pipe is burns down. You can't really taste the latakia, but thats fine with me. One of the reasons I stayed away from English Blends is I don't really like alot of latakia. This is a great hybred of an English Blend.

Although not an all day smoke, it is great in the evening after work, especially with a vodka martini shaken, not stirred! I will definitly get this tobacco pressed next time I order. I think pressing will enhance the flaovors even better. Highly recommended!

11/7/06 UP DATE: I received my next order from C&D pressed about three weeks ago, and it is outstanding! The flavor is much deeper and fuller producing an excellent smoke. IMOP, C&D is one of the best tobacconist, and one of the few that you can have your blends pressed. It is worth the extra $3.00/lb. I will have all my blends from C&D pressed in the future.

Highly Recommended

Xeper71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xeper71 (2)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Extra Strong

"Fantastic" is how I would describe it. Very spicy like horseradish. So, so delicious. I had just cut up a large tree that fell over after some heavy rains. I loaded up my favorite Kirsten and after every long draw, I kept looking at the bowl and thinking, "man, I LOVE this $h!t." Mind you that I am a huge fan of C&D's Mississippi Mud as well. Bayou Night has a noticeably higher nicotine content, which for me is a good thing. Very relaxing, spicy, but well balanced mixture. I can taste every flavor from the various components and they harmonize beautifully. I can't recommend Bayou Night highly enough for the smoker that prefers stout, "manly" blends. Absolutely phenomenal. I purchased 4 oz from Smokingpipes.com who always has quick, impeccable service and I will be putting in for a pound next time around. Wow, what a treat this is.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum Bowl Kirsten

Similar Blends: Mississippi Mud, 967 Exclusive..

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (83)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

While generally a fan of C&D blends, this one just didn't impress me. Certainly not a VaPer, but rather a hybrid. That's fine- lots of great hybrids out there. Not sure, however, that this is one of them. My sample had some age on it and was well-dried.

The red Virginias are pronounced in this one, making for some bite, particularly in the first third of the bowl. As the reds settle down, the Latakia becomes more pronounced. But the harmony of this blend seems lacking. When compared to a Balkan with Perique (Frog Morton on the Bayou, SPC Plum Pudding), it falls short. When compared to a hybrid Va//Bur/Per such as Haddo's Delight or Acadian Perique, it falls short. Compared to a Va/Per/Oriental such as Cairo, it falls short. The only audience for this tobacco to which it could be recommended (and it's a stretch) would be lovers of H&H Freight Train who also want to taste some Latakia in the blend.

Contrary to the tin description, this blend smokes hot (especially in the first half of the bowl) and definitely needs to be sipped slowly. About mid-way through the bowl, the blend seems to gel a bit as the ingredient tobaccos struggle to reach some form of harmony. But it just doesn't come together for me until the bottom third of the bowl where some compromise among the tobaccos seems to be reached. But it's short-lived. The finish, around the final quarter or tenth of the bowl, is flat. Overall, I find the Latakia gets in the way of the Perique, to the detriment of both. So much so that I find it hard to believe this is a 50% Perique blend (according to a reviewer below).

For Latakia lovers, there are much better blends. For VaPer lovers seeking something extra, there are much better blends. Not sure what niche this blend is seeking to fill, but it seems a solution in search of a problem.

Two stars in deference to those who enjoy this type of in-your-face, red- forward, hot blend with a dash of Latakia.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

EXCELLENT. I received this gratis from Messrs Davidoff?Park Avenue, don't you know?who sell it in delicious-smelling bulk.

I confess that I am not at all well-acquainted with the newer American blenders (I have only tried a couple of G.L. Pease's creations) and I found this, well, a bit of all right! (I see that R.C. Hacker quite likes it as well.)

The semi-sweet-dry-biscuit red Virginny which constitutes the backdrop to this blend is as smooth and soul-satisfying as any I have tried. The Latakia (Cypriot, I'll bet) gives a flinty depth, expertly muffled with buttery Burley. Turkish refines the finish and aroma, and a whole load of delicious, sulfurous Périque creates what is, for a Périque lover like me, a fireworks symphony!

A false move with a mélange of this sort could easily become a nightmare, but whoever is responsible for BAYOU NIGHT struck a perfect balance: this composition is a delight; stimulating, original, cool-burning, scrumptious. And peppery comme la meilleure cuisine Créole! Cayenne, les garçons!

If anyone knows the name of the artist who created this, [s]he ought to post it above: the man deserves to take a bow.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is one of the more surprising blends that I have had. Surprising in that the number of flavors C&D crammed into this blend. The flavors are constantly changing as you smoke it, switching every few puffs. It has a darkly sweet, woody and spice smell out of the sample bag that I have. It was a little confusing to smoke because as soon as I got a handle on the flavor it shifted. Not big shifts usually, keeping the characteristics of the smell all the way through but changing enough to make it interesting. If you really want to appreciate this blend then time and concentration are your friends. Quantity is not. I was so busy with the flavors that I was surprised when I stood up and felt dizzy for a moment after such a little bowl. Doesn't make you nauseous like some strong blends can, but can make the room seem like it's moving. Even though it has the taste characteristics of a truly non-crowd pleasing blend I got good reactions from the people around me. They said that while it is a strong smell that was quite nice. Nicely done C&D!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Pony Express

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

My favorite blend. Rich and satisfying. Notes of chocolate and figs. A wonderful tanginess and very complex. I like to take a bite of chocolate after I finish a bowl. It makes me realize how much of that flavor this blend contains. Sounds crazy, but try it. This my desert island blend.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My initial trying of this blend did not give me good results. I put the 4oz I had in my cellar and came back to it 6 months later. What a difference! I find this blend can be finnicky in the pipe smoked. It smokes best for me in a tall narrow bowl. I now have a Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen fitted with the small stem dedicated to this blend. The taste is very full in this blend and it packs a hard nic hit. It smoke cool and dry and the flavors run in the darker range and at times leans towards cigarish like tones. The perique in this blend is the key player and I find the latakia very subdued. The burley and perique realy shine through. If you are a perique lover such as myself this is a must try. Highly recommended!

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

This reminds me of those extra, extra, extra, extra hot BBQ sauces that leave you barely able to taste the sauce and instead leave you begging for a glass of milk to relive the pain of the capsaicin. It is rather amazing that this blend is even smokable, seeing as it has so much perique.

The nicotine levels of this left me floored. The smoke left my throat irritated. The taste was mostly spice and reminded me of a harsh cigarette. This might be salvageable as a blending tobacco but I cannot see myself buying more than the 1-oz. sample I have. I usually like blends with a hefty amount of perique (Peterson Irish Oak comes to mind), but this takes it one notch to far.

If you are a cig smoker looking to switch to pipes bump this up one star - you MIGHT actually enjoy this due to the hefty nic-hit and the cig-like taste.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Another tobacco that screams for a 2 1/2 rating. I didn't find this quite good enough for a 3 rating but since it's a C&D made from high quality tobacco, I gave it a bump.

Nothing really wrong with this one. In fact, it's a stroke of genius to make a 50% perique blend that isn't overwhelming. The other tobaccos smooth out the flavor to the point where it doesn't seem as strong somehow. The taste is decent but it moves to the non-descript pretty easily and regularly as the bowl progresses. Just a trifle ill-formed. I basically enjoyed my time with it but won't buy more. It's even difficult to review - just can't find much to say about it, good or bad. It just sort of "is".

This ends my 9 blend C&D sampler pack, and it sure was a fun journey! C&D truly has something for everyone.

deluxestogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deluxestogie (3)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Back in the early 1970s, I purchased a tin of pure Louisiana Perique for doing some home blending. My impression at that time was that the "pouch" aroma of straight perique was that of slightly mellowed manure. Now, with decades more insight, I would identify the primay aroma of perique as that of well-fermented--though not fully composted--vegetation. There is a strong resemblance to maduro cigar leaf, and cigar leaf in general, in that they both require a fairly intense fermentation to develop their distinctive aromas and taste. That is also an explanation for the stinky next-day room note produced by cigars as well as perique.

A number of other reviewers of Bayou Night have commented on its apparently strong hit of nicotine. It's all in the pH. As with cigar smoke, the high pH (alkalinity) of perique smoke allows dramatically more nicotine absorption through oral and nasal membranes than would a more acidic smoke, such as that from stoved Virginias. At the same time, by neutralizing the acidic bite of the other ingredients in a perique blend, the overall sensation in the mouth is that it is cooler and smoother.

So...here we have a tasty, (naturally) slightly sweet and fruity heavy (50%?) perique blend that is wonderfully cool and smooth to the taste, that will make you quite aware of its nicotine, and that will leave a lingering pungency in the room.

I consider Bayou Night a superb perique blend, but one that carries such an intense nicotine punch that it should be smoked more slowly than its satin taste would indicate, and that should perhaps be limited to a smallish bowl. Its latakia remains way in the background. The Turkish is hard to identify, since its acidic edge has been neutered by the alkaline pH. BUT...the pouch aroma of this blend sends me into throes of giddy joy.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is Nightcap for Perique lovers. Basically a skewed English blend with some burley added but with the main plot twist that it's 50 percent "Perique" (not necessarily St James but it doesn't matter), in a kind of role reversal of the Nightcap formula. So, here, the latakia is the mysterious presence in the midst of a Mardi Gras of Perique. Lots of flashing lights and cajun food but with mystery and depth. It takes about 1/4 bowl to settle down a bit.

This is strong, piquant, rich and cool. It is unique.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Bayou Night is a tobacco that has intrigued me for a long time. I had heard the stories about the very high Perique content, and the strength of the blend. However, it seemed like every time I ordered a sampler from C&D, I'd forget to include B/N. I wasn't ready to commit to a whole pound, either.

Then several days ago a sampler pack arrived from a friend of mine in Arkansas, and included in it was a generous helping of B/N. Better yet, the tobacco had been aged for 1 1/2 years. C&D blends are known to ship right after blending, before the flavors have had a chance to meld. I wouldn't have that problem with this batch.

Bayou Night has a motley appearance in the pouch, with light and darker browns mixed in with black flecks. The cut is similar to a chopped ribbon, and packs well in the pipe. The moisture level is a little higher than I've come to expect from C&D, but just about perfect for this blend. Pouch aroma is dominated by the peppery sweet scent of the Perique.

Putting match to weed, I fully expected a frontal blast from the Perique, but such was not the case. Instead it smoked like a very good VA/PER blend. The Latakia, Turkish, and burley were support players to the two real stars of the show. As the smoke progressed, I waited for the onslaught of the Perique. Hadn't they said the Louisiana leaf was 50% of this blend? It began asserting itself more, but was still a very good companion to the Virginia. The only thing I could figure out was that the Latakia and Turkish were keeping a lid on the Perique pot.

As the smoke wound down, the peppery note of the Perique became more pronounced. It also became apparent that nicotinewise, this was a very strong tobacco. It's not often that a blend makes me sit up and take notice of this, but B/N did. It wasn't an entirely unpleasant feeling. The bowl finished with variegated ashes in the bottom.

In some ways, Bayou Night was a big surprise for me. It didn't prove to be the Perique dump I was expecting, but instead was a delightful VA/PER that packed a good nicotine wallop. I can possibly see a pressed pound of this in my future. C&D has been forced to raise their prices this year due to higher tobacco costs, but they still remain a very good buy for the quality you are getting.

And now the scores for Bayou Night; flavor- 17 out of 20 points; packing and lighting- 8 of 10; value- 8 of 10. That totals 33 out of a possible 40 and a ** for Bayou Night. Good work, Craig!

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful! (But I'll go on) So glad I tried this wonderful stuff. Bag note = chocolate covered raisins? Slightly moist high quality ingredients. Smokable in a hurry, but when properly dried, delivers a full flavored rich creamy smoke. Behaves nicely in the pipe as one would expect from a well balanced blend. Burley, Perique, Latakia, and Virginia are easy to detect as distinct flavors and come together as a sweet spicy, then smoky zing (Latakia is carefully kept under controll and doesn't dominate; something I especially appreciate. Turkish hides from me, but I often find this is the case. Not overpowering, but respectfully strong medium bowl for those who like N. I will surely stock this incredible blend! I'd like to try this with a shot of coffee liqueur, or better yet, Cream De Cacao.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

A real tongue tickler for me. The burley is kind of harsh and cigarette/cigar-like with little sweetness and nuttiness. The red Virginia is sweet and tangy, and compliments the woodsy latakia, which is a bass player for the blend. Nice Turkish/Oriental notes when you find them, but they are overpowered by the strong presence of the peppery, figgy, and prune flavor of the perique. I really recommend sipping this blend. I rate it as two and a half stars for my personal taste (two stars for the sake of the rating system), but as I wrote about C&D's Bayou Morning, it gets a higher rating for those who can handle the strong perique content.

parris001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parris001 (8)
Overwhelming None Detected Full Strong

Too strong and cheap tasting. Reminded me of old Winston reds. Perique is way too spicy, Vitamin N is over the top. I thought I was going to get sick! By far, my least favorite blend.

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a real man's tobacco. It's full flavor and full strength! Vitamin N knocks my socks off. I had thought that habanna daydream was my favorite but this one has replaced it. I get mine in bulk from smoking pipes. The bag aroma is smoky sweet, similar to habanna. At first light the virginias and latakia come thru. As I work my way down the first third of the bowl I get a full tobacco taste and aroma, with a slight dried prunes smell, clearly this is the perique. Every now and the I get a little smoky latakia aroma in there. As I work thru the bottom of the bowl the nic really kicks it in to high gear, now I'm in tobacco heaven! This is a great tobacco for the lovers of strong flavor and aroma. I think it would be good for most vaper lovers. Good value too, at 28 bucks a pound. C&D really knows how to make fine tobacco at a good price.

west77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
west77 (2)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Very Strong

I will start out by saying that I will likely revisit this review in a few months after a little ageing and trying it in another pipe. During the summer. Outdoors. I am left wondering if the difference in reviews is the age of the tobacco sampled. Mine was purchased bulk, and I assume it was recently produced. Usually I will fill one of the small pipes for my first sample of any tobacco. Having the time to relax tonight, and not having read the reviews, I filled a Barling ExExEl (extra, extra large) and settled in for an evening of Christmas reflection.

From the first light it had a taste of cigarettes. I have never smoked cigarettes and have no wish to begin. The flavor settled down, though it remained noticeably in the background for the bowl. A unique "nutty" note showed through for the first 1/3 of the bowl and there was an earthiness that remained accompanying and complementing the "cigarette" qualities.

The next 1/3 of the bowl became a sweeter, though less enjoyable smoke. I blame it on vitamin "N" as the nicotine became overwhelming at around the 1 hour mark. The last third was emptied into an ashtray. I love my full English blends as well as some Virginias and have never had any problem getting through any other tobacco: this is the first.

Upon reentering the house (the front door is at the opposite end from the den) I was immediately hit by a smell that I would describe as stale cigarette smoke. Usually I have to reach the end of the hall before I am able to smell even the stiffest English blend. This is the reason for the "room note" rating. If you don't mind that smell, it is not overwhelming. If you prefer the smell of a pipe- it is.

I can not imagine this as an "all day" smoke and unless something drastic changes when it is aged and placed in a much smaller bowl I will not be reordering this blend. It was my love of Frog Morton on the town and the bayou that had me experimenting with a few C+D blends. (Come to think of it, perhaps I will see what this is like with a little Cuban cigar shredded and added to it; this blend seems as though it might lend itself to a little "tweaking" with a cigar...)

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)

not much to add--all has been said before--this blend is tasty, smokes dry--burns evenly-

it did have a bit of heat and bite when i smoked it in a wide bowled pipe, but switching to a bulldog's conical bowl completely eliminated that problem-- seemed to get a fuller flavor in the 'dog also--a hint of nose tingle; a very earthy tobacco--believe i'll stash away a pound or two--

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Very smooth. Had trouble keeping it lit. Perique and burley take center stage with just a hint of latakia. Irritated my throat just a bit but good N kick. Over all a decent tobacco. I like the way it makes my pipes smell....

UPDATE at least I did when I smoked it a few times. After finishing the Tin, my pipe is very vinegarey and dull in smell. This tobacco actually bores me the more I smoked it. And the throat irritation never left. The burleys were a bit too much...as somebody else stated...it's similar to cigarettes...I couldn't agree more at this point. I won't be buying another tin or smoking again.

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (18)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Strong and flavorful. The more I smoke this blend from C & D the more I like it. A lot of perique flavor a nice touch of latakia makes it an enjoyable. Love the full nicotine. Not for the smoker who enjoys a mild smoke.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Similiar to its brother, Bayou Morning. This one seems to be a little tamer than BM. Peppery, smoky and sweet all at the same time makes for a more interesting and fully flavored smoke. I enjoyed this one moreso than BM because to me it seemed a little gentler in the strength department that didn't leave the back of my throat scorched along with a slight case of heartburn. I will need to get some more of this to have on hand. Good stuff.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (131)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the 4th in my sampler I purchased recently. I must admit to being disappointed with this offering from C&D. To me, this tastes like someone just cut up several packs of cigarettes and dumped the tobacco in the tin and discarded the wrappings. It is listed here as being a broken flake, but I have not found it in this form. It looks like it is a coarse cut tobacco,if anything. That is only a slight disappointment. The taste is on the harsh side once you get about 1/3 down the bowl and it doesn't improve much from there. There may very well be great tobaccos used in this mixture, but the cigarette aftertaste is just too overwhelming to tell for me. Of course, YMMV. I would only recommend this for someone who smokes cigarettes as well, possibly a stepping stone on their way to full time pipe smoking.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Interesting blend indeed! The perique is the main player, the burley provides the body and the scant amount of virginia and turkish provide the "condiment" note. The latakia is very present in the pouch scent, but while smoking, it rarely raises its head.

This blend takes well to certain pipes while in others it tends to be bland or bitey or just plain nasty. I have found it performs best in a tall (chimney), straight billiard. This tobacco is also quite picky about how you load your bowl. If you just "stuff it and puff it" you are not going to get a great smoke. If you take your time and dry it to perfection, rub it out well and uniformly then practice the Frank method it is worth the effort. The taste ranges from those found in a good Cuban cigar to figs and even burnt sugar.

This is a tobacco to savor with a stiff bourbon like Wild Turkey or Makers Mark. If you plan on just clenching and puffing, this ain't the stuff my friend. The nicotine kick is considerable even for die-hard pipers. DGT this a half-hour and you WILL get a nic-rush!

Component tobaccos are of good (not great) quality and the cut is a haphazard mixture so rubbing out to a uniform texture is logical.

All things considered, this is worth trying as all C&D tobaccos are, whether you like it is just a matter of personal taste.

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (9)
Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Like many of the C&D English blends, this needs to be smoked with respect. It has a real nicotine kick and smoked too quickly can be harsh. Not an all-day smoke in my opinion but to be sipped with a malt before bedtime.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is the first Latakia and Perique blend I've smoked. It has stroke me as absolutely different from everything I've tried before from the stronger blends (Peterson's 3P and Irish Flake). Even though when I first opened my 8oz can I thought I've made a big mistake when buying so much, from the first smoke I found that this might be one of my favorite tobaccos. This is the kind of tobacco that you smoke for your self and not for those around you.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

A full strength Perique blend? My tin sure was not.

The Latakia nor the Turkish ever made an appearance. In all honesty, this blend is flavorless, uneventful and well...boring. No detection of any nicotine at all. Literally, was like smoking air. Maybe I got a bad tin? While I really enjoy many C&D offerings, this is not one of them.

Armchair Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armchair (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

One of the top three in my rotation. If this burns hot, you're doing something wrong. Like all C&D blends (for me) this does best decanted from the can into a glass humidor. It gets even better with cellaring (again, as all C&D blends have done for me). Superb with a single malt or with Pussers rum. Five stars plus!

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Brutally nicotine-loaded. I can hardly smoke this stuff, it?s so powerful! Also, that dry nose-twitcher in there. And the chemically-cigarette-y bad-mouth smoke taste. C.

LorenG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LorenG (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'll have to echo Ducksbreath's review. It's right on for me. The analogy to Nightcap is perfect. I smoke this anytime during the day or night. My score for room note is a guess. I don't smoke indoors.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)

Beautifully presented when opening the tin. Full scent of perique and was the same out of the pipe. Tend to like more latakia and less perique but if you are in a full perique, this is a blend for you.

Updated: Find this blend boring and one dimensional. Not bad but I woundn't run out and buy another tin. Got this in a package of C&D English Blends...probably one of the least favorites. Reviewed in Hacker's book Pipesmoking and I agree it is mild. It must be the burley or the lack of latakia, but I don't find this blend anything special.

NouveauFumeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NouveauFumeur (1)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Echoing the sentiment provided in previous reviews, this blend packs a peppery taste with a cool feel. The opening note is earthy, with a hint of roasted pecans, and is a true pleasure to smoke. The burley balances the flavor quite nicely, and it is an excellent pipe for a relaxing evening. My first C and D, and I look forward to sampling future blends...and finishing the 063.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a nice, no fuss cool smoking tobacco. It does pack quite a punch though especially if you smoke it on an empty stomach (I'm still dizzy!!).

It is quite enjoyable.

garyh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garyh (3)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this tobacco again after almost a year. Delighted that I did. Noticed a mild vinegar odor to me when first opening the bag. Bayou night is listed as containing a lot of perique, 50% I believe. I sure do not notice a strong presence. A lot of perique many times will give me sneezing fits. This does not happen with Bayou Night. Just my line of thought I think of this tobacco as a Virginia blend even considering the list of components. Nicotine seems very strong to me. The comment of surprisingly cool smokes has been very true in my smoking. Very much enjoy this particular blend.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I recently got my first 8oz. can of Bayou Night. So far, I'm really enjoying it. At $14 it's quite a steal. My can is only a month old.

First popping the lid I smelled only one thing. Not perique, not even tobacco, but Peanuts. Yup Fresh roasted yummy peanuts. A tastey smell, but not what I expected. So, I figured it needed a little air time. I dumped it out on a dinner plate (two, actually) and was amazed by the quantity of tobacco. Fairly dry, as usual for C&D, I had before me two mountains of beautiful, wide short ribbon. Not broken flake, as mentioned in the above description.

Looking at the empty can I wondered how I was going to fit it all back in. After ten or fifteen minutes' air exposure, I stuffed it back in. (It took lots of stuffing, really).

Well, that was a week ago, and the perique aroma is strong now. This blend tastes great and makes stacks of clouds of smoke. Lovely. Nicotine is adequate. It tastes strong, of mostly nutty burley riding on smooth rails of spicey perique. The Turkish and Latakia are subdued and I don't taste or smell much virginia of any kind, especially not stoved. It's not the sort of thing I've always reached for, but as days go by, I smoke it more and more. Recommended. . .

Bayou Night gets only three stars because the morning after smoking multiple pipefuls inside, my living room greets me with all the wonderful aroma of a 1970's bowling alley. (And we keep our shoes outside!) Thank you for smoking.

Blueline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blueline (5)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Great taste and a little spicy. This blend can be peppery by about mid-bowl all the way to the finish. It is otherwise quite smooth and smokes cool. Bayou Night is easy to light and stays lit well. The room note is not especially enticing but certainly not objectionable. There are some pleasing, dark flavors that mix well with occasional light notes. A very nice smoke that does not go overboard one way or the other. Although some might find the Perique content a little strong, Bayou Night can be quite nice in the evening after supper. I would not consider it as a blend to use throughout the day.

dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

There are already a lot of great reviews here that describe the taste and smoking characteristics of Bayou Night, so I won't belabor the point. I really just want to say that this stuff is extremely tastey. I really didn't know how much I liked Perique until I smoked this blend. The predominant tastes are the Perique and the stoved red virginias. What a salty-sweet combination! I almost slurp this stuff it is so delicious. If you have enjoyed Va-Per blends or flakes in the past, you really should try this tobacco. It comes ready-to-smoke, right out of the tin (thanks, C&D!) and is available in 8oz tins at bulk pricing. Certainly not an all-day smoke, but a fantastic afternoon kick! I will be stocking this one forever!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Strong in nicotine and strong in taste. I could not taste the oriental components, but no doubt they are the coolants. Perique in the proportions alleged stays, surprisingly, tamed. An oddity. I enjoyed my tin but it is unlikely that I will go back to it.

If you have read any of my previous reviews, you will notice that Perique generally causes me allergic reactions. Well, in this blend it did so with a vengeance. I was only able to smoke two bowls before giving the rest away. It seems to be a high quality blend, but was too much for this piper. Old Joe Krantz seems to be the limit of how much Perique I can handle in a blend without having to go to Emergency... go figure. For you Periqueaholics, this may be "your" blend. Give it a shot.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Perique, first and foremost, with a cast of minor characters floating about in the background that twist and change the nature of the smoke in subtle ways as they ease into the foreground from time to time. The perique is constant, but slowly nuanced by the interplay of the other components.

The nicotine content is a little above "just right" for me personally, but Bayou Night certainly keeps an even keel and delivers solid, musty perique flavor without ever becoming harsh or biting.

Paul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend on first whiff (a habit of mine, I think I enjoy smelling tobacco almost as much as I do smoking it, sometimes more so) is rather stout and strangely sour. Has to be the perique content. I wonder if this is the genuine article in reguards to St. James Perique. Cirtainly I have not smelled others as noticable as this, but then again I am a relatively new piper.

However I do not find the aroma unpleasant, in fact it harkens back to the old days. Or at least what I tend to think of as old days, hot dry barns, rocking chairs, and honest sweat from a hard days work. Coming off as odd, but true. "Old" is the word I would use to describe it. I would also like to point out the room note is pretty similar.

Everything in this blend harkens me back to the word "Old" of my Uncle for one, for he smoked a pipe, and this smells similar to some of the blends he smoked.

I find the taste absolutely delicious, however my one complaint is it tends to burn a wee bit hot. Then again I am inpatient puffer so it is probably more me than anything. Other than the one quibble (that keeps me from smoking it all the time)I cannot find fault in this blend. It keeps the nostalgia factor up there, and packs a nice nicotine wallop that will please the most grizzly of smokers. This is a fantastic blend, and I could not recommend it enough for you gentle reader. I am unsure if it is a tinned blend as I found it in bulk and very reasonable at that. So give it a try.

The only reason I rated it 3 stars is the fact that it tends to roast my tongue a bit too much, but having said that, it is still a very worthy smoke and worth the slight discomfort associated with it.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one great smoke if you like perique. If you will permit ... this is like Dorisco Mixture with kick, and a delightfully tasteful kick. As Exedwardsguy noted ... you really don't want to smoke this first time out in a tapered bowl. The concentration in the last third may be a bit overwhelming and you'll miss a great deal on the maiden voyage - perhaps tainting your impression.

The strength of this tobacco, unlike some other delightful soapy English VA's, is not halting, but rather very enjoyable. A great full flavor that's complex and interesting. Of course, if one doesn't like perique as the star of a quintet but prefer it as a condiment you may not share my enthusiasm. Just like it's sibling, Mountain Camp, where the latakia is the star and the perique in the background, this is a substantial mixture that should be savored slowly or you'll miss a lot.

It packs easily and smokes to a clean dry light gray ash. Surprisingly despite the full flavor of the tobacco, it smokes to the bottom of the bowl very well behaved. Very impressive.

It's wonderful with a nice nut brown ale, stout or a big oaky California Chardonnay.

Cheers, VC

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

A full and rich smoke with a slight peppery note from the perique. No cigarish tones in this one. If you like a latakia blend with turkish and perique this one will please. A good smoke but certainely not a bell ringer.

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Having just enjoyed a brief sojourn to the once booming riverport town of Jefferson, Texas, and spending a good part of a Saturday night in some of the most remote swamps and slews of nearby Caddo Lake (which spans the Texas-Louisiana border), I was seeking a tobacco that might recall and act as a mnemonic of this almost mystical experience. Bayou Night serves perfectly in this capacity.

On opening the pouch, full of a really rather inconspicuous mélange of red, tan, and black tobaccos, one is greeted by the sudden rush of fermented leaf, similar to opening a cigar humidor. The perique is unquestionably the foundation of this blend. In my days blending for Edward's I was thoroughly familiar with the granulated form of perique, which is very potent and concentrated. If C&D had used this in such a high proportion, the mixture would have been unsmokable. I believe they are using here the lighter more expensive short thin ribbon cut variety, quite possibly the stuff grown in the dark alluvial soil of St. James Parish.

Packing is easy, and the charring light goes without a hitch, releasing an initial aroma that is both sweet and earthy, much like the fragrant smell of the lotus and water Lilly blossoms coupled with the natural decay prevalent in the cypress choked swamp of my recent visit.

My first bowl was smoked in a tapered Peterson Dublin, which I don't think I'll try again, as the shape tends to intensify the spice and strength too much once mid-bowl is passed. Later attempts in more round-bottomed bowls yielded wonderful subtleties in the first two thirds. The play of the red virginia and turkish against the bon tabac fermenté produced a nice variety of flavors ranging from sweet to flowery to earthy. The smoke is dense and satisfying. The ash is unusually fine and light gray. Since we have two tobaccos known for their cooling propensity - perique and latakia, the result is, well, cool smoking, though due to the cuts involved, not real slow burning. The last third is like having a bowl of gumbo with way too much filé in it: pleasant, but one-dimensional. That dimension - spice!

One can almost picture emerging slowly from behind the lovely thick fog this tobacco produces, the towering wall of dense cypress as one enters the cathedral like swamp with its soft gray curtains of Spanish moss for decoration. The hypnotic symphony of millions of frogs ? the basso of the bullfrog giving a random beat to the chirping, barking, and shrieking of the multitude of other frogs as the ghostly heron glides across the clear moon and stars from treetop to treetop? or is it just? too much perique. Top-notch tobacco from C&D! Only possible through the application of creativity and talent.

UPDATE: After sitting in my cellar for about a year, BN has become dry, yes, dry, but I loaded a bowl and smoked it anyway, expecting the worst. I got a surprise! Whatever ethereal hand forged this blend endowed it with the ability to weather the worst abuse! It is even better than before. The flavors have gotten even darker and richer. Beginning with a flood of sweet molasses flavors, lasting through the first two thirds, then morphing into a heady, unmistakably cigar-like mellowness and mouth deadening perique wallop at the last third, while maintaining a smooth, cool composure all the way... laissez les bon temps roulez!!!

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

All of the reviews above sum up the qualities of this tobacco very well. There isn't much to add as far as technical description but I will also also note that I was surprised at the smoothness and richness of this blend. The combination seems that it could easily be disasterous - but instead it is a nutty, smooth, smokey and sweet mixture complimented nicely by the earthy frutiness of the perique. This element is handled very adeptly - adding flavor and spice instead of the "raw heat" often associated with perique. This seems to hit the spot when I want a shot of latakia smoothness, yet a bit more spice and toasty flavor compliments of the Perique and Burley. Good with coffee in the afternoon. To date, the most nearly perfect cross over of traditional english components and traditional "americana" tobacco flavor I've tasted to date.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A very nice EM, with the right amount of Latakia but not too much. The deep rich sweetness of the Virginias perfectly balances the spice of Perique. Burley adds a lot of body, for a full and rich smoke: not to be smoked regularly, but for an evening relaxation bowl it's great. Luckily the bittery and musty cigarish note that sometimes poisons the non-cubed-cut burley from C&D is not overwhelming, contrarily to Yale Mixture. Quite a heavy mixture, and certainly not for the nicotine haters, but better and more tolerable than Dunhill Nightcap (at least the crap that Dunhill sells nowadays).

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I have to admit, I let this one sit for a while before I dared to try it. I thought 50% Perique was going to be way over the top.

When I finally got the courage, I loaded up a bowl and nervously lit it. I fully expected the Perique blast from hell? But no. It was so mild that at first I thought the bag may have been marked wrong. As the smoke progressed, it took on a slightly musty, smoky flavor. Not at all harsh with no real bite to it.

I have to wonder if this is actually St. James Parish Perique, or Perique flavoring. It just didn?t feel like the real deal to me. Not to say it wasn?t good?

This is a potent tobacco, both in the flavor and nicotine departments. The smoke is medium-bodied. It can be a bit hard to get lit at first, but once burning I found that it stayed lit easily. Not a bad smoke, but not something I would go out of my way for.

Aureliano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aureliano (5)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is my favorite blend. However, I cannot smoke this every day. This is a very relaxing and reliable smoke for me. I am always searching for other blends that give me the same satisfaction. So far, no other has been to my liking like this one has.

This blend has a rather rich taste which almost causes me to smoke it a little too hard at first, but once I get my rhythm going I always have a very relaxing smoke. It smokes very cool and the perique is surprisingly understated given its prevelance in the mixture.

I love this blend!!

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

The dancing bear is remarkable not for how well it dances, but that it dances at all. As earlier reviewers have said, it is amazing that this blend, with its large percentage of perique, is as smooth and smokable as it is. True, true. But, it does not mean that this is a particularly smooth tobacco in absolute terms. As noted, this is quality tobacco that smokes dry and quite cool with no bite from the Virginias. The perique gets overbearing for me by mid-pipe, though, and I cannot smoke this regularly. I normally like the spicy nip of perique, but this one was too much for me. There is also a firm nicotine kick here that prevents BN from being a regular smoke for me. A pouch of this is an interesting experience that I may decide to repeat some day. I will need a rest first, though.

alandp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alandp (5)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

One odd thing I have noticed about BN, and which sets it apart from most C&D blends, is that it seems to retain its moisture much better. The sample that I had of this, I smoked seldom--not because I didn't like it, but because I like it so much that it is a sort of special smoke, and I wanted to preserve it. However, even though I made no special precautions to keep it well sealed, it never seemed to need rehydrating.

The strong, fermented tang of Perique is noticeable almost before it's even fired up. This is one you will want to fill the room with, so even when you take the pipe away from your mouth for a second, you will be breathing this intoxicating smoke.

This tobacco is on the strong side, have no doubts, and some people experience some dizziness or "swimming head" until they build up a tolerance. I have never had any "tickling throat" problems like some of the other reviewers, but I do sometimes find myself snorting a little to get the thick fumes out of my nose.

Once when I was on the road I ran out of everything but Bayou, and I frequently smoked 4 or 5 bowls straight through an old Kaywoodie, sometimes without even letting the bowl cool. It's just that kind of tobacco. This one will also benefit greatly from the DGT technique. If you only manage to smoke half the bowl, just put it down and fire it up again a few hours later. Man oh man.

The old Kaywoodie is now dedicated solely to Bayou Night--I smoke nothing else in it.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I am told this is one of C&D's original flagship blends. It is very potent with lots of heavy Latakia and Perique. I sampled a couple of bowls from the tin I purchased, but cannot force myself to smoke another.

I gave some to a friend who loves Latakia/Perique mixtures. He loved the strong, smoky and spicy taste. We both agreed this one leaves the back of the throat tickled beyond pleasantness.

If you like a heavy brew, drink up, pardner!

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

Everything that the above reviewers have said is right on target. This blend is a very smooth Perique & Latakia mixture with the Virginia adding just the right amount of sweetness to balance it out.

Someone would have to prove to me that there's 50% Perique in this concoction. If so, the other ingredients have really wedded with it to calm it down!

The only real problem that I have with this blend, is that it has a tendency to give me dry throat. I'd smoke more of Bayou Night if it were not for this.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Bayou Night really seems at home with me. I have smoked it since its conception and never seem to tire of it. Considering its ingredients, one might think that it's almost unsmokeable! I mean really! 50% Perique? Surely this would be intolerable! However, just the opposite is the case here. It lights easily and burns very well. It is one of those tobaccos that has a combination of flavors that finds me closing my eyes in enjoyment. This is what pipe smoking is all about! Colors range from yellow to mostly black. As far as moisture goes, I find that it is anywhere from just right to just a tad on the moist side. After the charring light, it begins to settle down to a faint raisin flavor with a slightly nutty background. The natural sweetness of the Virginias come thru very nicely. I barely notice the latakia, which Mr. Tarler says is 5%. Bite is not here at all! This is a complex smoke to me. Near the bottom of the bowl I do find that it can be a bit much if smoked in a tall pipe. Several years ago I put 6 lbs back for aging. I recently tried a bit of it and, as one would expect, it is even more mellow. Unless one has a dislike for perique I highly recommend this one. If you are looking for an aromatic look elsewhere. Thank you C&D!