This classic blend brings together the finest mellow Georgian Virginias, Black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprus Latakia, while evoking an exotic flair uniquely its own. This distinctively non-aromatic blend produces an astonishing array of refined flavors ranging from mild to medium strength.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.2
bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Savor slowly...Contemplative smoke...Good starter for those transitioning from Aro's to English blends...With this blend patience is the key...Don't hurry...Will win you no friends amongst those who do not smoke pipes or who are averse to English blends...will buy again and again.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Like most of the reviews of this blend, I will concur with the strong depth of flavor it presents while remaining somewhat light on strength. Stokkebye is, by far, the finest Danish blender of English/Oriental style tobaccos (IMO, of course), and this is another bell ringer.

Although similar to Stokkebye English Opulence, the Oriental presence is certainly much stronger with the "English" presentation on the backburner. Not sure this is what I would call a true Oriental blend but it sure is good. I think the Burley and Cavendish additions make this one very unique.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (126)

Very pleasant, balanced blend. Nice spiciness on the retrohale. No one component dominates. Good blend that doesn't wear out, even when enjoying multiple bowls during the course of a day. Pleasant aftertaste, burns down well, without the need for multiple re-lights.

Pipe Used: Neerup, Karl Erik

Purchased From: CI

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a nice easy going Latakia blend. Probably best for the beginner venturing into this type of blend. It can be smoked mindlessly, but I would opt for something more complex for a contemplative smoke. It is very similar to its cousin, English Luxury Mixture, but where that has a sweet vanilla type of topping, this has a more exotic spicy sweetness to it. I believe it is due to a topping of some sort.

I personally prefer this to ELM and think this is a good one to have in the cellar. Like all of the PS bulks, it is offered at quite the bargain and it is a nice smooth lat, that is pretty well balanced. The Latakia is light, but noticeable. It can easily be smoked all day without leaving that overwhelming Campfire mouth that a couple of back to back bowls of Penzance or Odyssey will leave you.

Overall, recommended, but perhaps highly recommended to the beginner wanting to experience a Lat blend.

A nice mild intro blend for those exploring English blends for the first time or for those that just prefer milder tobaccos.

kingjj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kingjj (9)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I suppose it was bound to happen -- with something like 80 blends -- I was eventually going to run into a Stokkebye I didn't care for. However, that doesn't mean you'll feel the same.

The problem I have with English Oriental Supreme is that while it's a blend of four different tobaccos, all that really comes across is the Latakia, which completely over-powers the other three.

While I think Latakia -- with it's clove cigarette flavor -- can add some complexity in very small doses, the dose in English Oriental Supreme is far from very small. It's a bit of a shame, as you can taste a deep, rich, somewhat spicy blend somewhere far underneath, and the it certainly smokes well. But at about the mid-bowl point the Latakia begins to exhaust my taste buds.

Now with all that said, if you're a Latakia fan, English Oriental Supreme will give you a lot to cheer about. But personally, I feel a lighter touch in the blending would have made this as supreme as it's name.

UPDATE 9/27/13: I've began mixing this about 50/50 with the Stokkebye Virginia Long Cut, and am finding it pretty enjoyable. So while I can't recommend it on it's own, it does offer a full, rich, complex smoke with a somewhat neutral mixer.

Doc Waters Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Waters (5)

I love English blends. After trying many, I was surprised to find myself repeatedly measuring them against this inexpensive bulk blend. It has something about it that others just don't have, or fail to deliver as well. For me, this is as good as it gets. A smooth easy smoke, but with lots of character and delightful flavors in each bowl. IMHO, this English Oriental truly is Supreme. The fact that it is such a great value is just an added bonus! Way to go Peter Stokkebye.

Realmensmokepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Realmensmokepipe (5)

I found this blend and chose it from off the shelf by Divine Providence at one of my favorite pipe shops, Old Towne Tobacconists in Historic Downtown Fredericksburg, VA. As a Pennsylvanian relocated in Florida, this sits conveniently along the route I take home twice or thrice yearly, and is a real gem of a shop. Lovely Virginia has more of these shops than any other state I have ventured through, having a very rich tobacco heritage.

English Oriental Supreme is one of two Stokkebye blends I have smoked, the other being his Optimum, which I couldn't bring myself to finish an ounce of before it dried beyond use. Oriental Supreme has a similarly boastful title, but backs up it's pomposity with truth. This is a Supreme smoking mixture, one fit for royalty.

Being an experience novice, this is only my second English blend I have smoked, the other being the much milder Early Morning Pipe from Dunhill. This one, to my understanding, is closer to the classic English, though it includes both Black Cav and Burley, with are apparently not welcome to some.

This blend, to me, will be a repeat purchase. I will likely acquire 3-4 ounces on my next visit to Virginia over the Holiday season. The first description that comes to mind is 'smooth'. The complexity of it's contents makes for an ever expanding flavor experience, ranging from the smooth and nutty (from the burley), the decadently brassy (the Black Cav and the lovely lady Virginia) to the almost cinnamon spice of the Latakia. Having been smitten with Latakias fierce venom early in my smoking career, I am fearful of the flame, so to speak, concerning Latakia blends, which has slowed my introduction to English weeds. But the complexity of this blend keeps the fangs of the Orientals at bay, allowing for a very balanced and most enjoyable smoke.

I highly recommend this to anyone, but particularly to the new pipers out there, looking to experiment with a wide variety of fine toebaks with a goal to broaden ones palate. This one is sure to do the trick, and leave you with no regets, bowl after bowl.

Note: Smoke it slow. You can pound this one, since it will never once bite, but it's most enjoyable when sipped, and the flavors become new like the morning on each relight.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There are times when I love a strong English, with its strength of Latakia. And, there are times when I like a lighter English, or an English/Oriental blend like EMP. This blend, for me, is simply marvelous. I can't get enough of this. Smooth, rich, refined, and fairly complex. The Orientals take precedence over the Cyprian Latakia, but every leaf in the blend seems of high quality, and as it's a Stokkebye blend, it's extremely well done. I would give this to any newer piper for their introduction into Latakias. I have recommended it to seasoned vets. It's simply an all day blend for a lover of Orientals and Latakia. Never gives me the dreaded dry mouth effect, either. The Burley and Black Cav just smooth things out to a remarkable degree. Wonderful blend, and reasonable!

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I initially got this because I couldn't get a hold of some other superlative Oriental I had fallen in love with. First couple of bowls and I was like, hey - this is good! Couple of more bowls and I had built some familiarity...so much so that when I got my order of the Oriental I was waiting on, I found that the Stokkebye's was actually the better smoke!! I'm a little spoiled on this now. There's a couple of other reviews on this tobacco that say that they judge all other Orientals by the Stokkebye's and I'm going to have to concur. This really is an Oriental to use as a springboard to gauge all other Oriental blends! Truly, this is a classic. Classic.

Pipe Used: Laxey Meerschaums

Age When Smoked: Fresh; 9 months

Purchased From: Rain City Cigar, Seattle

Similar Blends: Beck's Old Limey Bastard.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

This is one of my favorite English orientals, while there is Latakia present, The oriental tobaccos shine through, there is just enough of latakia in this blend to let you know it's is in the english style, a great tobacco for when your in the mood for something not so english and not a VA

Pipe Used: CassanoCanadian, a Big Casino Cutty

Age When Smoked: all ages

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

SouthBound Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SouthBound (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

My overall impression is that English Oriental Supreme, fancy name aside, is a meat-and-potatoes tobacco. Just like Mama's pot roast, it doesn't challenge the palate, and it could be described as one- dimensional. However, that one dimension has a name, and it is spelled G-O-O-D. At the end of a hectic day, I'm not up for a challenge. I want pot roast that I can cut with a fork, and a tobacco that smokes easy and tastes good. When my wife learns how to cook like my mom, I'll have both. Until then, I'll settle for tobacco like English Oriental Supreme. It'll be part of my regular rotation.

Latakiafile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakiafile (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the best buys in Bulk English blends. The Latakia isn't overpowering but it makes itself known.English Oriental Supreme has a very smooth flavor. This blend isn't unlike Dunhill 965. Like many English blends I find that this blend is more enjoyable when smoked slowly. However, if you are prone to smoking fast this blend will not bite you even though the burley is there making this a perfect everyday smoke. For the price you can afford to keep this in your rotation. A very good smoke at a very good price.

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (14)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a well-balanced, very creamy English mixture; without any bite; good burning qualities. Echo sentiments of jmartindale. Pleasantly surprised to find this quality in a bulk blend.

Nonpareil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nonpareil (13)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a light English blend with excellent smoking characteristics. The flavor is light, even approaching bland with a slight preponderance of the orientals and little latakia contribution.

This may sound somewhat negative, but in fact I find this to be a very pleasant all day smoke. The blend burns very well, dry and cool with good smoke volume.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am pretty picky when it comes to the addition of Cavendish and/or burley to my English blends so considering EOS has both, it sat in a jar for a year before I brought myself to take it for a spin. EOS is very balanced and although a mild English, and not very complex, it's not lacking in flavor. EOS produces smooth billows of smoke and even the hardest puffers will find it not to bite. As the name suggests, it is an English oriental and the Orientals lead, but not by much. The Cavendish adds a touch of sweetness and richness to the blend. My only negative is that EOS stays pretty constant throughout and there isn't a lot of complexity here so it won't make the regular rotation. Sold in bulk, it does make for a great value. Recommended

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend is one of my favorite English/Oriental blends so far. The "tin" aroma (though I bought mine bulk in a bag) is musty & earthy, with a slightly sweet background. The moisture level is nice straight off, and the cut helps make it easy-packing.

The smoke upon lighting is cool and thick, fueled by the Latakia without being overpowering, and the Orientals (I guess in this case, the burley/cavendish mix) help give it a full-bodied character. The bowl smoked to the bottom with two relights, and left a fine medium-gray ash. I ended up filling my go-to jar with it.

In my experience, Stokkebye tobaccos are very high quality, and this is no exception. I have tried this and English Luxury from PS, and found that I tend to prefer this blend a bit more, probably because it is a little milder and more rounded in flavor than the Luxury, which is more Latakia-driven. That being said, I still would like to get my hands on some Bull's-Eye Flake in the near future to see how that stacks up.

-TonyC

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (50)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Excellent blend. Sweeter (hard to describe) than the Proper and Luxury English blends for P.S.. I love it though. The after smell is very aromatic and enjoyable.

It seems to be more musty, earthy, and a bit more 'spicy', if you will, than the other P.S. english blends. Has less Latakia than both proper and luxury but maintains a smokey flavor.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A nice light English. Maybe would qualify as Balkan Supreme light. Would recommend as a good choice for someone who is just starting out on English blends. As usual, another blend of fine tobaccos from PS.

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

A nice light English mixture. The pouch smells of latakia and other sweetness and that translates to the first light. From first light to the very end of the bowl you taste Latakia with a bit of Oriental spice and some Virginias coming in edgewise to say a word or two here and there.

Not a very complex smoke but if I'm looking for a standard English mixture taste, this is what I would consider.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

Pouch: Moderately moist. Smell latakia, some other pleasant fragrance, must be from the cavendish, either chocolate or vanilla.

Flame: Burns well, lots of medium body smooth dry smoke. No harshness, slight nose tingle. No tongue bite. Mild taste.

Side stream: Smooth, fragrant, but dry smoke. Slight nose tingle. Seems to have a slight floral smell.

Down Bowl: Stays dry, no bitterness. Subtle but sweet taste of the virginia and cavendish, floral overtone from the latakia that is refreshing, almost like a menthol cigarette. Chocolate overtones, similar to nugate with latakia added. Little wetness in pipe. Few relights necessary. Mild flavor for the morning. Need quite to enjoy the subtle flavor. Pipe was damp at end of bowl. NOT a smoke to rush. Nice room note. No tongue bite.

Aftertaste: Tingle of Latakia, slightly peppery. Astringent with a slight bitterness. Tongue bite if smoked day after day. Tobacco flavor on tongue. Flavor in nose is chocolate light tobacco. If it seems ashy clean your pipe.

Conclusion: Great light english with black cavendish sweetness. Smoke with a sweet coffee. This is mild, a morning relaxation smoke. Overall I find I prefer latakia with a virginia base but enjoy this in the Florida summer heat. Lighter in taste than Count Polaski or Squadren Leader.

09/10 UPDATE: I find this leaves a metalic aftertaste with an ashy pasty feel in my mouth (burly mouth). Will toss the remainder and not buy again.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

While this baccy does not smoke hot or bite and leaves no bad taste or odor in the pipe or mouth, I can't find any redeeming quality that makes it desirable or a stand out. It packs OK and lights OK, but the smoking is extremely one dimensional, becomes quite harsh toward the end of the bowl, and lacks any real flavor that makes it likable. Also has a humectant added that makes it impossible to dry out to any appreciable degree. Will not become a staple in my lineup and will not be reordered. Also, would not recommend for newbies.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (37)

Some English tobaccos are simply Latakia dumps. Some are produced with only the gentle palate in mind. English Oriental Supreme is none of the above. When you open the bag, the tobacco smells smoky and looks like any other English on the market. It is Cavendish cut and there are many different colors to enjoy. Because of the cut, I'd recommend the 3 stage packing style. That is, the first little bit is placed and packed softly in the bottom of the bowl as though a child were doing it. The second stage consists of a little more tobacco being placed and packed in the bowl with a little more force as though a woman were doing it. The final stage is where the bowl is filled as though a man were packing it. The final pack should be harder than the first two. Anyway, the packing is nice and the stuff takes to a light very well. I do confess, however, that I do occasionally have to tamp and re-light the tobacco. But when it's going there is no stopping it. The first thing to note is that the tobacco tastes of wood and not smoke like most Latakia based blends. I think that this is due to the mixture of Virginia and Cavendish tobaccos. The taste is unique within this genre. Don't get me wrong, there is a fair amount of smoky goodness in this stuff, but that taste only adds to the "wood" feel of the weed. This taste does not change much all the way down the bowl. Now, if you forget yourself and puff too vigorously, there will be the slightest of tongue-bite. When you slow back down, you can get back to business. The burn is cool and the room aroma is like a fireplace. Note that I said a fireplace and not a camp fire. A camp fire would imply more smokiness than found here. The wife hates this stuff as much as any other English, but any real pipe smoker will appreciate the unique aroma this one puts out for an English. The ash is evrything you've come to expect from a fine tobacco. The pipe is left clean and dry. I don't know how Peter Stokkebye does it, but even with all of the Burleys and Virginias, the Nicotine level seems pretty tame. And, a full pipe of this stuff can last up to an hour. If you have never smoked an English tobacco before, start here. And, if you are used to stout English blends, stop here for something unique in the genre. I will definitely purchase this again. All of this at a great price! Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!!

Tudval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudval (18)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is my favorite blend in the Stokkebye line. Very well balanced, natural, earthy and refined. The cavendish is just slightly noticeable and it works well in this blend, giving it a more round, mellow flavor. Really, a three and a half star blend for the aroma (or 9 out of 10). The mildness (no tongue bite) and the fact that it's available in bulk at a very reasonable price, earns it the extra half star.

toolman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toolman (2)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love the way this blend smells in the bag - smoky, earthy. I'm tempted to buy an extra 2 oz. bag to use as a sachet to throw under my pillow. I discovered this blend during a trip to my local tobacconist a few months ago. After sampling other blends I thought would be similar, such as Skiff Mixture and a few bulk offerings from McClelland's, I have returned to EOS to enjoy its mild, smoky flavor. I have enjoyed a couple of bowls of this tobacco this afternoon, and have decided this needs to be in my regular rotation. It is an excellent all day smoke, and a great value in bulk as well. Highly recommended.

TGA49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TGA49 (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

PS English Oriental Supreme is now my go to and favorite English blend. I have been searching for a smokable English and tried many different blends which include: Davidoff Royalty, Aston's Consummate Gentleman, McClelland's Full Dark English 5110, Sam Gawith's Squadron Leader,and Skiff Mix, Sam Gawith's Golden Glow (Broken Virginia Flakes) my only Virginia. However, it is Peter Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme that is my go to and favorite blend. It is mild w/o any tongue bite, and medium in strength. It is easily an all day smoke, has great flavor, and is extremely enjoyable. It is sold in bulk, and this does not diminish it's quality at all, rivaling any of the listed above tobacco's. Tongue bite is always a issue with me and PS English Oriental Supreme does not have any what so ever. Having smoked aromatic tobacco's most with tongue bite it is great to find a good English w/o this issue. A must try if you are smoking English or looking to begin. Packs easily, holds its flavor through out the bowl, and produces wonderful clouds of smoke, and has pleasant room note. Try and enjoy!

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is Stokkebye at its best. It comes retail quite young and aging adds a lot to this blend. This, IMHO, is the all round best english/balkan type blend on the market at this time. Highest quality tobaccos, excellent proportions of each type of leaf, great smoking qualities and value. When puchased in bulk it can had for as little as $15 a pound and at that price one can cellar quite a bit of it indeed.

A mellow, sweet and nicely balanced mixture that sometimes reminds me of My Mixture 965, although the taste is more uniform throughout the bowl (less complex), a bit milder overall, and more strong on Cavendish. Kinda monotone and too sweet to smoke all day, but not bad.

fredkao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fredkao (11)

Same as my review on Balkan Supreme, you can stay away. It bite and nothing wonderfull. I won't buy anymore PS even they are cheaper.

Pipe Used: Charatan, Peterson, ...

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Bluefox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluefox (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For the most part a good blend. Aroma and flavor is definately to my liking. Was just a little too spicy for my taste. I prefer cornell&diehl orient express as it has the same aroma and flavor just not as spicy.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is smooth, smoky, sometimes spicy. Puffing is ok as it just revs up the flavor and doesn't burn hot. One of my first English and very enjoyable.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

A medium-flavored blend with a pleasant leather spice on top. I can see where some detect a "soapy" flavor although to my mind it instead comes across as peppercorn. Overall this is an interesting, gentle, and cheap smoke. I will add though that the last quarter of the bowl can take on an ashy, pasty taste if you smoke it too quickly. At a moderate rate it tastes fine the whole way through and will burn down to ash.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice blend of Oriental and latakia tobaccos set off by the subtle sweetness of fine Virginias. Not extremely complex byt still a very satisfying smoke. Recommended

gj Michelob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gj Michelob (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this mundane a "bland-blend", for want of the flavor and fragrance one should expect. A dash too light a mixture, perhaps? After 10 tediously unending bowls, I tossed the balance in the nearest trash can, sadly wasting money and the hopes that it aroused. Back to my Balkan Sasieni, still a mild smoke after all, but –unlike this variety- richly rewarding.

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a excellent mellow English blend with a touch of sweetness. It reminds me of Black Mallory but it is much lighter in weight and character. The price is fantastic and it burns great (after drying out).

I can confidently recommend this blend to any beginning pipe smoker or aromatic smoker who wants to try a mild English-style mixture.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (89)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

If you're one of those guys that only likes tons of latakia in an english blend then go smoke C & D pirate cake . This blend to me is the perfect english style blend . Smokey , clean ,cool, flavorful and a little spice.It's fantastic and they sell it in 5 lb bags . The roomnote is better than most english blends , imo

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)

After trying PS Balkan Supreme and being very impressed with the taste and quality, and looking for something a bit lighter, I bought some EOS. I enjoy a lighter and spicier tobacco in the morning with my coffee. Man, did this hit the spot. I like it much better than EMP. In the bag it is dark brown, with many light multi-coloured speckles. When I smelled it in the bag I thought it was going to be more heavy on the latakia than is the case. The flavor is very complex. It packs and burns well, never getting hot. It smokes down to a a very fine white ash. I have tried it all of my pipes, and it just keeps getting better. The wow! factor for me is how something that starts out leathery and salty can end so sweet. Peter Stokkebye is putting out some fine weed.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

While I have not directly reviewed Stokkebye's English Luxury here, I did do so indirectly under Finck's English and Finck's Istanbul, both of which (at least right now) are Stokkebye's English Luxury. Yesterday I dropped into Jernigan's Tobacco Village in Mt. Lebanon, PA to look around and found some of this English Oriental Supreme. I bought a couple of ounces to try in my quest for a new, affordable everyday blend and to compare with the other from Stokkebye that I already own 2 pounds of. My impressions are in line with Deadmenspipes on this one. It is definitely better than English Luxury although at first light it has some of the astringent dryness of English Luxury. I too ran into a soapy taste about 1/3 into the bowl, but it disappeared after a short while. Last night I tried a second bowl...ditto report. This morning a third and found it a bit better - acceptable, but not great. Perhaps there were some residuals left in my pipe from the Luxury blend? Quest continues.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

After reading most of the reviews here, I decided to give this blend a try. The aroma seeping from the unopened bag was wonderful - and when I opened the bag, I let it stay open for awhile, just to fill the room with the marvelous, complex olfactory delight. There is little connection, however, between the aroma of the tobacco in the bag versus once it is burning in the pipe. It lights well and stays lit to the end of the bowl with minimal relighting (I used the 3-stage packing recommended by another reviewer). Nothing left but clean greyish-white ash at the end. The first word that popped into my mind when I took the first few puffs: "soapy." After reading all the glowing reviews here, I must say I was slightly disappointed. On the positive side, there is no bite, and the flavor did improve about halfway through the bowl; however, it was nothing to really get excited about. It is an okay smoke, and one I will probably have once in awhile until my supply is gone. You cannot complain about the price though - it is cheap enough. Who knows? Maybe I will grow to love it and reorder. I doubt it, though.

UPDATE: This one has grown on me. After trying several other "English" blends, I found myself appreciating this Stokkeby's blend more and more. A plus is that it costs much less than the others, although that has nothing to do with my increased regard for the blend. It is definitely better than many others in all categories, and I have increased my recommendation from two stars to three.

hrhf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hrhf (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

While tempted to previously place reviews in this wonderfully useful database, I've chosen -- until now -- to wait until I've developed further as a pipe smoker.

I'm still quite new to pipes, having smoked cigars on a regular basis the past three years up until about two months ago, when I rediscovered my pipe collection with heretofore unrealized fervor.

Anyhow, I picked my pipes back up as I'd left them: quite fond of English blends and not crazy about aromatics and "lighter" blends. And, as of this initial writing, I still favor more bold flavor and more nicotine kick. I managed to track down a local tobacconist with a little remaining Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap (Orlick, yes, but it still does the trick for me). Despite experimenting with other blends in the same ballpark -- Abingdon and Squadron Leader, most notably -- I remained true to EMP and Nightcap.

And then I picked up an ounce each of Stokkebye's Proper English and the subject of this review -- English Oriental Supreme -- at another local tobacconist. I found I immediately enjoy both immensely. But especially EOS.

As a recovering cigar hound, as previously stated, I'm more fond of bolder blends and with more depth of flavor. And this does the trick nicely. It successfully combines the traditional tobacco flavor profile with a nice, subtle sweetness. And, while I'm still too new at this to expound on the relative levels of the Latakia, Virginia and whatnot, I can certainly appreciate a quality flavor.

I've frankly struggled as of late to find a blend that provides the level of flavor, puff for puff, that I crave. So far, this is the best I've found. I'm very tempted to rush in and give this FOUR STARS, but -- once again -- being relatively new, I don't feel I should rate this one "top of the pops" just yet.

But it's currently tops with me.

Will it stay as such? Stay tuned...

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like this tobac!!Tastes are so subjective but sometimes a master blender hits the right notes and I am one happy camper. This blend is GREAT?? It is one of those that packs well,and is full of flavor but not a nicotine monster , and the price is very affordable. An all day smoke

qmechanics Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
qmechanics (7)

This is a truly remarkable English like blend, especially when you consider the price i.e. Peter Stokkebye at his best. A bit more complex than English luxury,Oriental Supreme has an interesting taste profile. Largely responsive to the interplay of the Georgian Vriginias and Latakia, the tobacco has a very oriental/english flavor as advertised. It is more complex than one might expect from such an inexpensive tobacco and a pleasure to smoke. I give this a 4 stars for both price and taste.

PS Considering the price, this is one of the better English LIKE blends on the market. The additional cavendish does not get in the way but adds a slight twist to the taste. Rest assured that this blend is more English than aromatic.

As far as Peter Stokkebye products I would say this is ssecond to Balkan Supreme but sometimes that depends on the time of the day.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (30)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

a good mild english blend with a good variety of flavors from the various tobaccos. the depth and strength make it a good smoke anytime of day.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on one bowl, my first.

The overall flavor is IMHO Squadron Leader "lite".

There is a very nice overall oriental tone to the smoke. It is ethereal, not heavy. The flavor does build a bit to the bottom of the bowl but never becomes overwhelming.

I did not notice any perceptible amount of nicotine.

I believe there is some flavoring to help tie everything together, but is not obvious, it stays in the deep background.

I give this three stars for now.

(My four star tobaccos are Squadron Leader, Westminster, Full Virginia Flake.)

pipinNfishin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipinNfishin (21)
Mild Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I bought this blend bulk. I did not buy much. I am glad. This blend is not for me. It does have some good points, but I am troubled by its faults. It does indeed smoke cool. It is smooth. The room note should not offend. However, the black cavendish does not work for me. The addition of this tobacco shrouds the other tobaccos in the blend. I also miss the presence of oriental tobacco.

If a mild cool blend is what you seek, try this. But if you are seeking a traditional english mixture, such as Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium, take a pass.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A very good Englihs Blend. The black cavendish doesn't show up in the flavor, but moderates the room not which is a big plus for me. The light is easy and it burns to the bottom of the bowl with a fine graty ash...A blend with quality way above it's cost....a big winner in my estimation...

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)

I like this one. Sweet, smokey and grassy. Very close to the 'campfire' smoke that I have been searching for. It's my favorite at the moment. My first English blend. Nice aroma in the pouch and burning. I'm looking forward to exploring the worlds of English, Latakia and Oriental blends further. I got a few ounces of Stokk's English Luxury at the same time this was obtained. They both seem very similiar to me. A solid 3 stars.

Stubshaft Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stubshaft (9)

One of my "go to" tobacco's. When I've had my fill of trying new blends. This is what I turn to. I experimented with 220/220 aging (2 hour and 20 minutes at 220deg). Gave it a much mellower and rich smoke and melded the flavors, much more evenly.

englishpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
englishpuffer (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have been smoking this blend for awhile now in fact this was my introduction to english blends. This is a very good blend as a bulk english blend you can't do much better. I have tried Dunhill 965 bulk and find it lacking compared to this. This is a very well rounded blend at a very good price and certainly well worth more than the $17.00 a pound I paid for it. I highly recomend this blend

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A superb and unique mixture of tobaccos has my mouth watering. I'm quite astonished at the complexity and sheer voracity this tobacco evokes when smoked.

I am reminded of savage mohawked indians rushing into battle against horribly outnumbered Spanish regiment on the dusty plains in the Texas panhandle on an overcast autumn day after a torrential downpour of rain.