An unusual base of light yet rich orientals serves as a backdrop to a real Perique presence, enveloping stoved red Virginias sweetened with a bit of black cavendish. Perfect with a cup of strong coffee or on a morning stroll.

Blended ByIra Stone / William Serad
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Medium, Medium to Full, Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
3.4

This is a blend I have liked enough to buy a pound of it. It presents in the pouch as a very dark, slightly moist blend that looks like stoved Va and black cavendish. Smoked, I get orientals, perique and a thick slightly sweet taste I attribute to the VA and cavendish. I don't note either of these two tobaccos on their own in the smoke, so they are truly "supporting role." I get best results from a dedicated pipe, and find the blend does not hit it's stride until you have smoked 3 or 4 bowls in the same pipe.

I smoked up a 4 oz sample and am maybe 5 oz into the pound. It has been a cool burning blend for me, and it leaves that characteristic oriental tingle and sweet in the mouth when the pipe is done.

It is good and works well for me. I prefer the Or Olam from this same series just a little for a slightly brighter taste, but the Boker Or makes for some variety, and it is a solid 3+. If the oriental/perique combo interests you, these two are really a "must try."

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

This is a decent Orientals based mixture. Good, but only Orientals are noted. I dont scent Virginia Cavendish or Perique, Not noted

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

This Blend has an duplicate entry. See my Review in the other Entry.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This a really interesting blend and one that I find I like a lot. It has the seet taste of the orientals and VA but with a bit of spiceyness from the perique. The smoke is very thick and mild, bite free in every way, yet the flavor somes through in a full, enjoyable way. In the pouch the aroma is very spicey and musky, and is composed of short strands of ribbon cut and flakes of all different colors from light khaki to a dark brown. The moisture content is perfect and it loads into a pipe very easy. It lights easy as well but I found that if I did not puff consistantly it would go out so requires relights. It does burn down to a light grey powdery ash and has no dottle at the bottom of the bowl. The room note is very spicey and the perique gives the aroma it's note, so some may not like it but I do. I could not get this blend to bite and I tried. It just burns at a nice slow rate and is a pleasure to smoke. I find this goes great with coffee or a red wine and once I have smoked a bowl, I want more of it. The aftertaste on the tongue is fantastic. It is a little light on the "N" factor but still satisfies. This blend will appeal to VaPer lovers and Oriental lovers but not those that have to have a strong lat fix. What you get is a sweet mild smoke that I highly recommend trying.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (56)

This is my second venture into C&D's Hebraic series and is a huge improvement over the Halav D'Vash that I had previously. I was looking for a change of pace from my usual Va/Pers and that is exactly what I got. I love non Latakia orientals so I decided to give this a try. The turkish type tobaccos certainly control this blend but do not wash out the others. Firstly, I love the smell of this stuff in the pouch. Heaven! The aroma while burning is almost as good. The Virginias weave in and out with their sweetness and the Perique is certainly present but only plays a support role to the Oriental tobacco. Over all I enjoy this blend quite a bit but mainly as an occasional change of pace and it is not going to replace any of my favorite Va/Pers anytime soon.I find the Turkish type tobaccos can be a bit cigarettish at times. That being said, it is sort of a genre all unto itself and fun just for that reason. Very enjoyable but not an earth shattering revelation.

I am Glad I ordered Boker Or but probably will not restock it after it is gone.Some of you might enjoy this blend even more than I and is definitely worth your consideration. Boker Or seems to me to be very pipe specific, so try it in a variety of different sized pipes to find the best smoke. It is also quite good in a Cob.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The orientals are the pronounce flavor on this one with the virginias adding sweetness follow by the perique coming in and out, this blend seems to be more refine than #837. this one is easy to keep lit it comes dry like most of C&D blends, the description of this blend is pretty much dead on, except for the part of the perique presence which i would say is there but not overwhelming, I recommend this but with caution you most really like orientals specially Izmir, if you are expecting Vaper blend this one is not it.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

UPDATE 4/11/09 Opened a tin of Boker Orr this week that was pressed by C&D three years ago. This is an extraordinary blend that has mellowed beyond my highest expectations. I cannot overstate the unique and exceptional flavor of this blend which deserves a good deal more attention.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 8/10/06 The particular combination of tobaccos in Boker Or is one that I've not seen elsewhere. The perique and orientals provide body to this somewhat sweet (but not cloyingly so) blend.

The tobacco arrives at the perfect moisture level and smokes cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl without a hint of bite.

I'm not sure I agree with the blender's comment "of a real perique presence;" the perique is there but it does play in the background.

Highly recommended for those who enjoy Virginia blends.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Another of the well made Hebraica series blends from C&D. What a lovely smoke. Quite unlike other Perique blends I've tried. This is a great Perique-laden tobacco which I recommend to all Perique lovers. Not so much like a VaPer plend, since the Virginia doesn't take the drivers seat. Moisture content is on the drier side but perfect. In a small bowl, can likely finish with a only a couple lights. Very satisfying, and rich in flavour. The orientals and perique complement each other very well. The cavendish adds volume and a very subtle but balanced sweetness.