This Black Cavendish Aromatic is a selection of matured Virginia tobaccos from Brazil and Africa blended with a loose cut mellow Black Cavendish. A tasteful flavour consisting of Vanilla, Walnut and Honey has been added.

BrandPeterson
Strength
Taste

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)

A long-time aromatic smoker, this one is not overpowering in any sense. You can taste the VA and Cavendish and a hint of the walnut actually makes itself gently felt throughout the bowl. The honey is definitely there, but the vanilla is very light indeed. A very mild smoke, it lights well and burns to a clean ash.

Wife rates it as very pleasant and smells like someone has been baking something - but not a sweet, overpowering room note.

Not my favorite Peterson, but a very pleasant smoke. I will keep this on in my rotation.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

Generally I like light aromatic tobaccos (which would be called 'classic Danish'). De Luxe is one of those 'classic Danish' Peterson aromatics, which has a brilliant chocolate-roasted hazelnut-wafer tin aroma, with loads of Black Cavendish - no "broken flakes" as the blurb says, but a well-conditioned ribbon mix. The smoke is comparably unspectacular, a bit more flavoured than Larsen's No. 32, similar to Sweet Killarney, but less cased than Sunset Breeze or Connoisseurs Choice. Very low nicotine level, at least for me as ex-cigarette smoker. No tongue-bite, but some condensation. This seems to be an optimal morning-coffee smoke, as it is very decent, quite sweet, and leaves a pleasant room note. It burns down perfectly, keeps the walnut-honey taste throughout the whole bowl. Not much punch here, this is a soft, round, creamy, warm and sweet-fragrant smoking experience which I recommend to smokers who don't want to pay much attention to the smoking process, but enjoy a bowl with a cup of coffee and a newspaper. The underlying tobaccos are first class, this is a balanced, unobtrusive composition. I give it 4 out of 5 points!

Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

Peterson De Luxe mixture ...De Luxe is a very fitting name for it as it tastes sublime ! It is not at all overly omnipotent in the aromatic department but for my pallet just right . The honey is the most pre-eminent additive but you still get a nice "hint" of the others in it . It has a very auspicious sweetness to it which does not overpower the wonderful Cavendish and Virginia flavours . I don't get any tongue bite from it and if inhaled I find the nicotine to be at a good balance . The closest match I can think of is Sam Gawith Black Forest .I will be sure to keep some of this close to hand !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith Black Forest.

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am very picky about aromatic blends and I do like this one a lot. The flavor of the topping remind me much of Captain Black Royal, but the quality of the leaf and absence of excessive humectants elevate this to another level. To me the level is the top of the chart. Not my favorite aromatic, but four aromatic stars for this one.

Purchased From: local B & M

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This was one of my first ventures into the Peterson line. A nice little aromatic that can be enjoyed right out of the tin without waiting for it to dry. Of course YMMV. Leaves a nice room note during and after smoking this nice blend. Recommended.

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Peterson's got a lot of great tobacco, a few nasty ones, and then there's this. I can't decide if I really like it or not. It's very middle of the road. However, I am optimistic and will recommend this to anyone looking for a spicy, sweet, winter blend. This one is like a spice cake, or gingerbread. Some love it, but for most of us, it's something we like, but don't go crazy for, even if we only get it once a year. For starters, the tin note is very prominently cased smelling. It has a familiar sweet scent belonging to our humble, sweet chum, Black Cavendish, and a very prominent anise like smell. Although I'm not the biggest fan of anise, I'm sure someone out there is. Regardless, the smoking quality could be better. It's rather wet and sticky, so let this one dry as it is heavily cased. That being said, it isn't a casing that's nasty, like Captain Black's Cherry. This one is done right. Cased aromatics, no matter how finely crafted, are going to taste/smell like cased aromatics any way you slice them, but I digress; De Luxe is sweet, full, creamy, and toasty, but you'll soon realize that the amaretto scent/taste is not easily suppressed. When burned, it tastes like anise, and it's very noticeable. No subtlety with that baking spice flavor. Pumpkin spice, Nutmeg, Ginger and Anise are all flavors that can be found in this blend. Despite its claim to feature Vanilla as its main staple, that flavor kind of takes the back seat during this ride. It's there, but its not singing along with the radio up in front. It's back there playing GameBoy, only periodically raising its head to ask, "Are we there yet?" Although this may sound negative, I will say it again, I can really see how someone could love this, it's just not my cup of tea. Word of caution though, it smokes hot, as is characteristic of cased aromatics. However, smoke this stuff slow, and it tastes just like those spicy cookies your grandmother makes every year. You look forward to them, realize after going a year without them, there's always something charmingly off about them. But that's why you like them. They're not your favorite, but you can't imagine Christmas without them. This blend is good when there's snow on the ground, and the smell and delightful flavor will distract you from Jack Frost nipping at your toes. I recommend pairing this with a mulled wine, hot cider or even some egg nog.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

A cliché schlurpy aromatic, like there are 9000 in the market, oozing with fake, chemical vanilla. What, for heaven's sake, is the point??

If you like a decisively aromatic blend with a luxurious high taste, try BLUE NOTE.

sge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sge (1)

A pleasant but subtle aromatic, strong vanilla notes with some nutty after taste. Burns well. Neither unpleasant or particularly memorable. Having said that, I do not usually smoke aromatics, so perhaps I am being unfair. And I have only smoked a couple of bowls so maybe it's a grower.

Room note is wonderful.

Purchased From: Peterson shop, Dublin

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (25)

Ok, I taste walnut and honey but where's the vanilla ? I don't know what to say about this blend ? Its cool, smokes nice, smells good, but lacks taste ? Old School Captain Black from the late 70s was better than this ! Its not a bad tobacco I just wish it had more flavor? Can't rate it bad though Because a newbie would enjoy it. I gotta try smoking this for my first pipe of the day, maybe I'll appreciate it more. Until then, I probably wouldn't buy it again unless I was stuck. I'd rather smoke Troost than this !

Gave it a try for my first pipe of the day and it was better. My tin seemed dry though, last time I smoked a Peterson blend it was Irish oak and it too was dry. Its a quick tobacco in fact too quick ! Lasts about 30 min. Stanwells melange is a better blend by far ! The aroma was nice with this, my wife calls it cakey! Its okay but I don't think I'd buy it again.

Umlilo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Umlilo (5)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I'm fairly new to pipe smoking and have now tried quite a few blends. I was started on some fairly sickly aromatics that fried my tongue even when smoking lightly. I then tried this and found it just right, the quality of the tobacco seems good and I find I can smoke a bowl on one light or two with some tactful tamping leaving a clean ash in the bottom with no gloop.

The tobacco is very mild and having tried some stronger blends I found I was sucking on this when I came back to it to get some nicotine and the chilled feeling only to heat it up too much. That said it didn't frazzle my tongue like some of the heavily flavoured aromatics I tried before.

The smoke produced seems quite thin if that makes sense - fine for smoking in the car - I can still see out of the windows! The aroma in confined spaces is pleasant. I think I have found stronger blends now which I prefer but would say as a new pipe smoker that this kept me on the road to try more after having some bad experiences. I'd recommend this to a new smoker.

jlmdoval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlmdoval (11)

Not bad. I was a bit disappointed for the vanilla flavour is unnoticeable. Walnut is much more present there. There was a little tongue bite (which I take the blame for it). Great smoke and even burning from beginning to the end of the bowl.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

A nice aromatic, suitable for the smoker willing to have a try with aromatics, but not on the level of other aromatics from the brand. The blend of the tobaccos is fine in itself but the aromas are a little weak. The 'nutty mixture' from the brand is more remarquable.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have found out that I am not a big fan of aromatics or black Cavendish but I had never tried an aromatic Peterson, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Upon opening the tin, the smell is sweet but tangy and overpowering. It needs to be smelled from afar I guess.

Packing, lighting are quite easy, it's ribbon cut and not broken flake as the description suggested on the site (not on the tin).

The first few draws are cool and a sweet vanilla flavour tickles the buds and a little bit of walnut taste as well. No honey until mid bowl maybe, but I would characterise the taste more as "mapley".

It gives a slight tongue bite, just so very slight, as I have noticed with most black Cavendish tobaccos (some give worse tongue bites than others). The Virginia here mellows the taste a bit. Mid to end of bowl, the smoke becomes hot, and no one really likes that, right?

I think this could be better smoked in a briar pipe, as the wood might retain some of the tastes I dislike. I will give it a go and update my review if I find anything different.

A bit disappointed I have to say after I had great expectations from this tobacco.

The room note is a bit strong for non smokers and I got a complaint from it!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Update: In my Peterson system pipe, this blend was a completely different experience for me. It was a very VERY cool smoke, no tongue bite, albeit too sweet for my taste. But seriously, it turns out this a good aromatic pipe tobacco.

Is it because of the pipe that I like this tobacco now? Or maybe it is because the tobacco was allowed to aerate and "breathe" a bit? I don't know... Moving it from 2 to 3 stars!

Grandad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grandad (8)

I find the quality of this aromatic varies from tin to tin. Sometimes it's strong in smell and flavour, sometimes in strong in smell and weak in flavour, sometimes it's weak in smell and strong in flavour and sometimes it's weak in smell and flavour.

I am quickly learning that aromatics are not necessarily so, for the pleasure of tasting what it says on the tin but merely for the smell it leaves in your surroundings. If the missus hates the smell of your non aromatic tobacco, she'll definately like the smell of your aromatics.

If your tastebuds have died due to age or the constant use of strong tobacco's, this isn't going to satisfy your palate. You can taste a little nutiness and, depending on the tin, you'll definately start to salivate a little from the honey, even though you won't taste the sweet. Even though you may not be able to smell or taste the vanilla, those around you will. You'll notice it more if you smoke indoors and come back into the room at a later time. It'll smell a lot better and a little more subtle than those plug-ins the missus likes to put in every room.

In my opinion, this is a nice tobacco to have when switching for a change between tobacco's... It's a nice smoke but not one that I would personally smoke everyday, yet one I will come back to.

Grizzly1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grizzly1911 (7)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

Was looking forward to this, but it disappointed in every way. Has a very odd chemical taste to it. The wife doesn't like the room not either. I will typically finish a tin I don't care for because I don't have a lot of money to throw away; this though I think I am going to toss.

Carbon cake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carbon cake (9)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This blend was very cool smoking and it had no bite at all. It had a very sweet nutty smell as I smoked it and left a nice taste in my mouth. It did not burn to hot and was a very nice smoke after a night of drinking. I will keep a tin or two of this around

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Was given a tin as winnings in a wager...So, my comments are already biased that I should like this. But, in fact I do. Tinned tobacc's are always a "gamble" for me. Some are very nice but more so I have been disappointed. Not here. A nice tweener smoke for a change of pace. Nice room note and will return to it again. If you're a Latikia fiend don't bother here...but may I say even a novice would enjoy this.

smokeymountainmike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeymountainmike (10)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Take the $10 you were planning on spending for this blend and smoke that in your pipe instead. I'm sure there would be more flavor to it than this stuff. Don't know how they can claim it tastes like anything but air.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Pretty tasteless. The walnut really struggles despite being given centre stage. If the honey and vanilla had been allowed to do their job or the walnut propped up then this could have been smokable.

The etymologist in me is also slightly puzzled that Peterson have "De Luxe" and "Luxury" mixtures, but I'd overlook that branding tautology if the tobacco had some flavour.

Try luxury blend instead.

mr Afo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr Afo (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In the hunt for a really mild tobacco I carefully choose this after reading the reviews.

Not really what I was looking for. I can taste walnuts. But do I like nutty tasting tobacco? No, not really. Do I taste/smell Vanilla? Not much, just faintly. Honey? I couldn´t tell... It´s somewhat cool to smoke.

Not the worst, not the best. Maybe I can trade this with some of my friends? Or I just have to use it a bit more frequent?

---------------------

Update: I really want something new now. This is boring to smoke. I would say my rating is only 2,5 stars but I give 2 stars. The only good thing about this is it´s mildeness. That Only.

Desperately thinking about ordering from Germany, something much better.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)

Tastes very 'nutty', the amaretto flavour is pretty pronounced. I didn't mind this one, but there's better out there, got a bit boring towards the end of the tin. Don't buy more

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (45)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Popped a tin of this open a few weeks ago. It lit well and burned fairly cool and evenly to the bottom. I did notice though that the walnut and honey flavor, which seemed to be to the forefront with the vanilla being in the background, gave me the feeling that this blend felt more of a winter/Christmas time blend. The rich walnut aroma and flavor had me wishing I was in front of a fireplace watching Bing Crosby's "White Christmas". All in all another great smoke from Peterson, but one I might smoke more in the winter time.

Church Warden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Church Warden (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

An incredible aromatic blend. You can taste the walnut at the beginning of the draw; and it ends with the ``essence`` of vanilla rather than the taste of vanilla; which is actually quite nice.

A great quick packing tobacco that you should keep on hand as a nice afternoon or early evening bowl.

adjman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adjman (7)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A delightful tobacco with all the flavour I was hoping for. After reading the reviews here it does not fail to please, very impressed.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)

Had I noticed this blend was walnut flavored I would not have tried it. However I was very pleasantly surprised at the taste. The honey and walnut casing is subtle and it actually compliments the taste of the leaf. There is no chemical or artificial flavor at all. There are hints of walnut in the first third of the bowl then the vanilla takes over in a very delicate way. The last third of the bowl is pure baccy taste and it has a nice, satisfying flavor to (sadly) end the experience. It takes a lot of self restraint to resist firing up another pipefull immediately afterwards.

Room note is pleasant and there are no sickeningly sweet incense characteristics. Obviously, quality leaf was used and I can't think of anything negative to say about the blend. Great stuff!

dima.sh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dima.sh (1)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

very good tobacco , i very enjoy to smoke this tobacco , not strong can smoke big full bowl , and the taste is fantastic.

Smokabowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokabowl (3)

As an aromatic lover, and according to my palette: this tobacco sports a brilliant tin note, made my mouth water upon tasting the wonderfully sweet but not overwhelming flavor, produced a pleasant room note, and made me want to refill my bowl. A sweet sensation lingered in my palette when finished, underscored by lightly roasted tobacco. I walked away with no tongue bite.

The tobacco lit well and burned to the bottom of the bowl just fine, leaving a nice, grayish-white ash. At the time of this writing, De Luxe Mixture has proven itself to be my favorite aromatic. I tried Peterson's ever-popular Sunset Breeze the same day, and I still prefer the De Luxe Mixture. Smoked down to the last Virginia flake in my Peterson's Killarney Dublin.

This tobacco goes well with Tom Petty's Highway Companion album.

UncleDoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleDoc (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I`ve tested 7-8 blends from different companies.Honestly this is the best one so far.I really LOVE the essence,aroma and taste of this tobacco.It has a fantastic room note and even my non-smoker neighbor loves it!thanks to Peterson. Very good choice for beginners or veterans.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This became my favourite baccy as soon as I lit it. It's the only aromatic I've encountered which smells just as nice when smoking as it does in the tin - if not nicer. I was wafting the smoke towards my nose to breath the lovely aroma in the first time I smoked it. Real presence of vanilla, but there's enough tobacco to satisfy a cigar smoker like myself, too.

This tobacco doesn't deserve the rather low rating it has - put it this way: if you don't like aromatics, you won't like it; if you do, then come on in, the water's fine!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Though I am primarily a latakia/oriental and virginia smoker I have no a priori objection to aromatics. I enjoy,amongst others, Mac Baren`s Navy Flake, Plumcake , Scottish Mixture; Larsen`s Flake cut, Dan Tobacco`s Da Vinci and - dare I say it? - Haddo`s Delight. In fact, if one defines aromatic tobaccos to be those which are not merely heated, pressed or fermented but which have been infused with matter other than tobacco, should not latakia also count as an aromatic since it is scented with the smoke of herbs and fragrant woods?

The pleasure of smoking a pipe is on the tongue and the nose - taste and aroma. I have no problems if fruit, flowers or spirits are used to provide a pleasant aroma. I do not consider gin to be a spirit inferior to vodka merely because it has been flavoured with botanicals. I wonder when some intrepid manufacturer will produce an aromatic scented with that most masculine of perfumes - sandalwood. The crux of the matter is whether the additions to tobacco work or not. And while degustibus non disputandum etc etc, it is possible to distinguish between the quality of aromatics on a variety of factors, most of all the quality of tobacco: no matter how treated, one does put tobacco into one`s pipes and not other substances.

De Luxe Mixture has a rather nice, subdued aroma, rich in the heavier notes. Vanilla can cloy, and it has been tamed. The mixture is an attractive melange of blacks and tans, and burns slowly in the pipe. It would be three star stuff but there is something wanting in the basic tobaccos. Davidoff`s Scottish, by way of comparison, has superior tobaccos. Still, not a bad smoke.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

I see this tobacco as quite mild and very pleasant, although you have to maintain it has a moderate humidity, once it dries it is plain as paper, even though it still smells nice.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I would first like to state that I will review this tobacco as what it was created as; an aromatic. I am also a homebrewer as well as a beer judge. Now my favourite style of beer happens to be very big and hoppy IPA's and American Pale Ales. However, that does not mean that while judging an American Lagger, I dock it points because it is not my favorite style. I judge beers for how well they fit within a certain style and how well they are crafted. I feel the same should be done for tobaccos as well.

With that being said I decided to pick up a tin of this simply because my pipe collection is largely Peterson pipes, and yet I had never tried a Peterson tobacco. I bought about six different tins of different types of Peterson's tobaccos, and this one happened to be in the mix.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a very pleasent nutty almost buttery aromoa. The moister was just about right, and with a couple weeks on the rack the tobacco was perfectly dried for my taste.

I loaded up a large bowl Peterson Billiard pipe with this, and decided, though it had been quite a while since last I smoked an aromatic, I should dedicate some time to this as to not have it nip at the tongue.

This blend took a charring light quite well, and with minimal tamping, was extremely well behaved.

After the first two lights, I could defiantly smell the sweet nutty casing burning off, but that was not at all unpleasant. This was a well balanced blend of VA and Cavendish from what I could tell. The casing actually lended something interesting and positive to this tobacco. Unlike too many aromatics, this was good quality tobacco which had a nice sweet casing added to it to enhace the sweet balance; not hide the poor choice in leaf.

The aroma was almost intoxicating. I sat under the big covered porch, and simply enjoyed the cloud of nuts and berries swirling around my head.

This blend is pretty mild on the nicotine, and defiantly not an everyday smoke for me. I find this to be enjoyable while out in public or out for a walk with the pup. It does not offend those around you, however it does not offend the smoker either.

I was surprised to find this to burn down to a nice white ash, and leave no gooey messes in the bottoms of my pipes.

I try to keep a tin of this on hand for when we are out amongst the general population. It brings in quite a few complements from almost anyone nearby.

I would easily pair this with a low gravity stout. This is a great tobacco to smoke while sitting out on the patio at your favourite pub.

If you are either an occasional aromatic smoker, or an exclusive aromatic smoker, I would recommend you give this treat a whirl.

This is one of the best aromatics I've tried, and maybe the mildest in flavoring. In fact, it's one of the few aromatics in which you can actually taste de base tobaccos, and those Virginias and Cavendish are a pleasure to savor.

The subtle flavoring, the mix of honey and vanilla (I can barely taste walnuts here) is pretty unique, and the tobacco burns easily with no tongue bite whatsoever.

It's 3/4 only because there are similar tobaccos at much lower price.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like this blend and I don't understand the amount of negative reviews this has gotten. If you don't like aromatics, then why review one and give it a horrible score? Makes no sense to me.

Letting this blend breathe out for a bit will make it 10 times better, from my experience. The smell and flavor comes out a lot more natural once it is aired out. Packing and lighting is easy. I just light, tamp, relight and forget about it.

Yes it's light, but you can still taste the tobacco in there, and it tastes, in my opinion, really good. The flavoring is also very nice - not too strong, not too light. Just the right amount of balance.

Recommended.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This blend is nicely done, the vanilla is not sickly sweet or cloying and compliments the stronger walnut. I was unable to detect the honey in it and every tin I have bought is on the dry side, but it humidifies easily.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Another tasteless smoke from Peterson.

Looks and smells great in the tin. Tried making cigarettes from it in the end.

Don't bust a gut to try this one.

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I am glad I did not read the reviews on this tobacco before I purchase - I might not have bought this one. After years of smoking MB Burley London I have finally branched out to trying other tobaccos - thanks in most part to the guys on Pipe Smokers Forum. I purchased a tin of this while on a recent trip to Philadelphia. I generally try to smoke a sample bowl are two of a tobacco before purchasing but bought this one without.

I liked the smell when opening the tin - reminded me of MB Black Ambrosia of which I have smoked one tin. This tobacco was slightly dryer than I like upon opening. The smell of honey and Vanilla was nice. I did not get the "soapy" smell that others have mentioned.

This tobacco packed well into my Dunhill Cumberland and I packed it a little tighter than normal based on the feel of the tobacco. Easy to light it burned almost to the bottom of the bowl without a relight. Definately a light smoke. It took a few minutes for the vanilla and honey flavors to register. I doubt you could make this bite unless you really tried.

=Update= After putting this aside for a couple of weeks I smoked some more. The more of if I smoke the more I like it. I have upgraded my recommendation and have decided to keep some of this in my regular rotation.

I agree that it was very very light on the tobacco taste but I found this a nice change. Overall taste was mild to very mild. It did not produce a thick smoke that I like in some other honey flavored tobaccos I smoke, but was very pleasant. I think this would be a great tobacco for a new pipe smoker and also makes a good morning smoke with a cup of coffee.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

It exasperates me as to why people who hate aro's even bother reviewing an aro tobacco?!?!?!? Some of the negative views of this are from people who end up saying "...I prefer latakia, or full virginia's..etc..etc..." before giving the blend a slating, or 1 out of 4........WTF?!?!

I hate motor sport, but do you see me forcing myself to go and watch the dull, repetative noisy crap that I think it is?? Of course not! Anyway I digress....

DLM.... A 'fruit free' version of it's stablemate (and another Peterson aro that I enjoy) 'Connoissours Choice'. DLM has mild, soft vanilla overtones, with a hint of nutty tobacco. This one strengthens towards the end of the bowl as some of the flavours make way for the baccy. So far this blend just edges Connoissours into second place for my favourite Peterson aro..

A quality mild vanilla blend, that ABSOLUTELY doesn't deserve the hard time it's getting here. Try it through your own mouth though, instead of from the 'black and white' lyrical waxing's of others..

I like...A lot.

wad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wad (1)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

What a wonderful blend ! Wonderful smell, wonderful smoking. I like the taste of walnut. An indispensable tobacco in my reserve.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

NOTE: This type of blend takes time/bowls to appreciate which I think accounts for the disparity of the reviews on this page. I started out wanting to give a rating of 1 because the blend seemed to be so mild it was unsatisfying.

However, good number of bowls in I really started enjoying the subtle flavor of the tobaccos. The first several bowls tasted like I was smoking air. I think this is due to it being a very light aromatic. It's not a "candy vanilla" smoke. Just a hint of vanilla. Eventually I started to really enjoy the taste of the Virginias. Mild tobacco and vanilla flavor. Basically, a mild aromatic and a great blend for the neophyte.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This could be one of those instances where a reviewer is giving an unfair review to a blend because it's not a genre he knows well or enjoys much. But I don't think so.

Though apprehensive, I've recently decided to venture into new territories beyond my usual english/balkans and stoved virginias, so I started giving aromatics a try. The first aromatic I tried, which I enjoyed more than I expected to, was Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice. So my first dip of the toe in aromatic waters promised new vistas of smoking pleasure. (Yeah, I know, mixed metaphor -- so shoot me.) So I figured if Peterson got one aromatic blend right, perhaps I should try their De Luxe Mixture, even though I was a bit wary because of all the negative reviews here, and besides which I think their Sherlock Holmes blend is mediocre at best; but for some all-too-human reason I decided that perhaps the reviewers were being unfairly harsh, and so I persuaded myself to ignore their prudent advice and give it a try.

So I tried a bowl. Then I tried another, 'cause I wasn't sure if I was "getting" it. My third bowl I started wondering if aromatics should taste like this or not. So I tried a fourth. The thing is, I wanted to like it, I tried to like it -- primarily because I didn't want to feel foolish for willfully ignoring the negative reviews and spend all that money I was ambivalent about spending in the first place on this blend.

I have decided that, aromatic or not, tobacco shouldn't taste like this. Indeed, I didn't taste any tobacco. Others here have commented on the chemical, artifical taste. I don't know that I'd agree with them -- I think the flavor was more metallic or industrial, with some notes I tried to convince myself were vaguely vanilla-like emerging into the foreground, steaming up from a substratum of burning mud. (I am being only somewhat hyperbolic...)

Ok, so it didn't have any bite, but it still smoked hot. And it didn't even taste like quality tobacco to start with that was polluted by the casing. The only positive thing about this smoke is that the room note was ok, but not good enough to put up with all the negatives. The only reason I don't hate this blend is because it's not worth the bother.

I'm sorry I didn't listen to the sage advice of the negatives on this one. I want my $24.50 back! (Yes, that's the amount I threw down the toilet in Canada for this.)

Run -- do not walk -- away from this "tobacco".

Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Excellent aromatic blend of Vanilla, Walnut and Honey with the usual Peterson tobacco quality. The flavor is similar to MB vanilla cream.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

firsy of it is peterson we are talking about now and no dust over their shoulder as far as i am concerned. its a recommended tobacco indeed but for light aromatic as it isnt as heavily cased moist blends out there ,,its a spring to summer blend very light burns very well to white ash and it have a vanilla/fruity touch to it,virginia and burly make it into the play ground interchangebly,and its a definite crowd pleaser!

Notanuftime Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Notanuftime (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

For me, this is what an aromatic should be. Aromatherapuetic...if that is a word. Mild and pleasing to the smoker and those in the vacinity. True, there's no tobacco flavor here, but it's certainly not an unpleasant experience. Highly recommended as a first tobacco for a new pipe smoker or the seasoned piper that can't tolerate the normal aromatic fare. Listen, if I wanted to smoke apples or cherries, I'd dry some and stick 'em in my pipe. A respectable aromatic from Peterson.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Guys and gals, I've only one to say on this one. They sell five times more of this tobacco than any other, in their shop in Dublin. Knowing this I tried it. This is a good vanilla aro. Countless Dublin men can't be wrong. So what does that say about our reviews here? Try it, give it a chance. It is what is say on the tin, vanilla, honey and walnut, it is good quality as most peterson tobacco's are. Mac barens vanilla will always be a winner, but if its just to much vanilla and tongue bite for you try this. As I said, all those old dubliner's can't be that wrong.

EDIT2: After beginning a second tin, I have to mark it down, frankly, this blend is just to soapy and two wet, I guess my tastes have mature some what, it is a nice nutty vanilla baccy, but to conclude, maybe it sells so well in their Dublin shop because a lot of toursists buy it. Just say no to soap.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was in Miami for a week and ran out of tobacco, it was hard to find a smoke shop and I was excited to find this one. They only had peterson in tins, and since I had never smoked peterson I started looking at the tobacco descriptions. The description on the can made my mouth water, but it stops there. This stuff smokes like a rancid old shoe, it leaves a nasty bitter goop in your pipe that spoils the next few bowls of other tobaccos.

Stay away from this stuff

Javelin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Javelin (8)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

De Luxe Mixture disappoints on just about every level. It is, as has already been noted, very boring to smoke. The taste of this is so mild I could hardly detect it! To be honest I threw the last third of my tin away! Fortunately, Sunset Breeze from the same Peterson stable affords those who enjoy an aromatic tobacco a much better experience. Stay away from De Luxe Mixture!

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

From a purely aesthetic point of view this is a wonderful tobacco. Jet black Cavendish intermingled with golden strands and reddish leaf, not only elegant, but visually very enticing. There is Peterson quality here alright. Short ribbon cut and tightly pressed, I was surprised to find this is a tobacco with lower moisture content than Irish Oak or Old Dublin.

Tin aroma is very sweet, in a nauseating-borderline-kind of way. It is not Captain Black Royal, but there is no mistaking as to the deep cased nature of this mixture: virtually no real tobacco smell, the basic impression is that of a heavily vanilla cased leaf, with some other sweetening ingredients added (presumably, a very muted honey and walnut essence).

Flavour wise, you really have to be an aromatic lover to enjoy this mixture. It is exceedingly sweet (albeit not in a goopy or steamy form) from the moment you light it up to the last strand in the bowl. Though less aggressively, it does remind me of Captain Black and Middleton's Sweet NuttyVanilla, two mixtures I have smoked in the past due to the scarcity of other blends. However, the added honey/walnut essence tends to temper the excessive sweetness, and somewhere near the mid bowl mark I am able to taste an ever so mild tobacco flavour that almost makes the experience worthwhile. But no sooner do I taste it than the vanilla flavour settles down again, unfortunately ruining the whole thing.

Due to its low moisture content, this tobacco smokes rather dry (not cool), and it should be noted that it does have the virtue of not biting, unless you puff enthusiastically. This is certainly a crowd pleaser, as the room aroma seems to have a hypnotic effect on those around you. The ladies don't seem to mind it, to the point that they may even look your way, with a smile and wink. Other than that, I would not recommend this blend except as a beginners' tobacco or to those who have yet to experience the heavenly simplicity of a pure Virginia flake or the earthly grandeur of Latakia-Oriental mixtures.