An excellent mixture made up of Latakia (40%), Perique (15%), Cavendish (5%) Kentucky (5%), Oriental (10%), and three different sorts of Virginia (25%). A tobacco for the smoker who wants a dark, rather heavy tobacco with a lot of "body" in it.

BrandPaul Olsen
Blended ByMichael Mortensen
ContentsCavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Pleasant, Strong

Adam S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam S (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I purchased this tobbaco from Danish Pipe Shop during my visit to Copenhagen and I am happy that I did! I was offered about six different latakia blends, but this one was just outstanding.The tin aroma is really amazing. It just makes you want to try it. From the smell latakia is not dominant, rather the perique and orientals. The aroma is hard to describe, but I would call it rich and promising. I was warned by the shop staff that it was a strong tobacco no matter how lovely it smells. It made me even more curious. Then I lit my first bowl of Blue Queen and it was better than I had expected. It is a concert of tastes. The blend has a wonderful balance. There are too many blends containing similar components. Some of them are good, some less, but this will keep your attention throughout the whole bowl. I offered Blue Queen to a colleague at pipe club, who smokes mostly latakia and tried almost every blend. His quote was: "After smoking and trying latakia for forty years I thought that nothing could surprise me. But this is unique." Next day he ordered his supply. Another thing is that when I smoke this blend in public places I often hear comments like "what a nice smelling tobacco you smoke" which is definitely not common for English blends. It packs and lights easily and burns down to grey ash. Only puffing fast may harm the taste. You may think that I am writing in too many superlatives. Well, get yourself a sample and see yourself. I give this the highest recommendation.

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is absolutely fantastic tobacco with an entire concert of flavor and complexity. Where the Latakian and Perique stands for the base line and are accompanied incredible well and fine tuned of Orintal and virginia tobacco. This is a tobacco that directly climb up my personal top 5 list

Pipe Used: Pipes with slightly larger bowl´s

Purchased From: The Danish pipeshop

BigBadWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBadWolf (3)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I can only approve of the notes made by my predecessors. This is a tobacco which makes you forget any other mixture. I was notified by a friend of mine; I am fortunate to live in Copenhagen where this excellent mixture is produced, so it's easy for me to purchase it. I usually smoke it in the afternoons and in the evenings, it is too strong for me in the morning. It is a mixture weith Greek and Turkish Orientals to make it an unusually well tasting tobacco. Beware of too large fillings. It's a FULL tobacco. BigBadWolf.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This was a difficult tobacco to get hold of, and I had to buy a fairly good amount of it in order for the vendor to get it for me. I am glad I did. I have been smoking this for about six months, and it is a late evening smoke I look forward to. This is a Balkan style blend. The latakia dominates but there is plenty of perique and oriental to make this a unique and interesting smoke. You do not get the latakia blast you get from Olsen's Kong Frederick or #7000. I cannot pick up the flavor of the cavendish, but the Virginia is smooth and first rate. I like to smoke this before or after Haddos Delight; it is fun to fool around with that perique thing. Most highly recommended for the Balkan lover who must have perique to make it perfect. Paddy.

bumbum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bumbum (20)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This tobacco has every chance to become one of your personal favorties, if you like the traditional English mixture!

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Paul Olsen-Blue Queen.

The aroma from the tin is one of the strongest, rawest, natural and classic ones I have had yet. If you like a true/full aroma from your tins then this is guaranteed to be satisfying for you!

The blend looks like it's more of a mixture instead straight ribbon cut. It is prominently ribbons but there are quite a few broken flake pieces. They aren't big enough to need rubbing but are without a doubt broken flakes.

The tin is literally full to the brim. For this reason the blend hasn't had any room to breathe so it would benefit from a short airing.

This is simple to get lit. A short char and then 'full blast' gets a good burn going. Once lit it's a good and consistent burn too.

The smokes taste? Absolutely superb.

The flavour I get is lead by the Latakia but it tastes less acrid than I often find with Latakia blends. It has a smokiness to it but not a massive blast of bitter smoky flavour. There's also a sort of cedar quality from the Latakia.

To me the Perique isn't as strong. It's present but I find if I retro-hale then it is somewhat easier to taste.

The Kentucky works well with the Latakia's smokiness. The flavour from this adds a sort of smoky Burley nuttiness to the mix.

The Virginia and Cavendish bring the least flavours to Blue Queen. I think the Virginia gives body whilst the Cavendish abates any harshness from the Perique and Latakia.

The nicotine is quite strong. Not stupidly so but I think it would please N smokers.

This is a great blend. Slightly different and unique!

Highly recommended.