Paul Olsen Blue Queen

(3.73)
An excellent mixture made up of latakia (40%), perique (15%), cavendish (5%) Kentucky (5%), Oriental (10%), and three different sorts of Virginia (25%). A tobacco for the smoker who wants a dark, rather heavy tobacco with a lot of "body" in it.

Details

Packaging 100 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste
Full

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.73 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 Reviews
May 18, 2012 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant
I purchased this tobbaco from Danish Pipe Shop during my visit to Copenhagen and I am happy that I did! I was offered about six different latakia blends, but this one was just outstanding.The tin aroma is really amazing. It just makes you want to try it. From the smell latakia is not dominant, rather the perique and orientals. The aroma is hard to describe, but I would call it rich and promising. I was warned by the shop staff that it was a strong tobacco no matter how lovely it smells. It made me even more curious. Then I lit my first bowl of Blue Queen and it was better than I had expected. It is a concert of tastes. The blend has a wonderful balance. There are too many blends containing similar components. Some of them are good, some less, but this will keep your attention throughout the whole bowl. I offered Blue Queen to a colleague at pipe club, who smokes mostly latakia and tried almost every blend. His quote was: "After smoking and trying latakia for forty years I thought that nothing could surprise me. But this is unique." Next day he ordered his supply. Another thing is that when I smoke this blend in public places I often hear comments like "what a nice smelling tobacco you smoke" which is definitely not common for English blends. It packs and lights easily and burns down to grey ash. Only puffing fast may harm the taste. You may think that I am writing in too many superlatives. Well, get yourself a sample and see yourself. I give this the highest recommendation.
Feb 15, 2014 Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
This is absolutely fantastic tobacco with an entire concert of flavor and complexity. Where the Latakian and Perique stands for the base line and are accompanied incredible well and fine tuned of Orintal and virginia tobacco. This is a tobacco that directly climb up my personal top 5 list
Pipe Used: Pipes with slightly larger bowl´s
PurchasedFrom: The Danish pipeshop
Mar 23, 2016 Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I have fallen in love with the Blue Queen.

This is a really big blend. Cool, spicy, sweet, leathery and smoky. No one ingredient dominates the blend, but everything is there in perfect harmony and turned up to eleven. Thick clouds of blue smoke I can almost chew. I love it.

After a small bowl of this I’m definitely dancing with Lady N, and after a big bowl I’m kneeling before the blue queen. Excellent stuff. Will buy again and again and again.

I would have called this blend the blue goddess. Get some and try it, it’s simply divine.
Pipe Used: Various Briar
PurchasedFrom: The Danish Pipe Shop
Nov 15, 2015 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant
Paul Olsen-Blue Queen.

The aroma from the tin is one of the strongest, rawest, natural and classic ones I have had yet. If you like a true/full aroma from your tins then this is guaranteed to be satisfying for you!

The blend looks like it's more of a mixture instead straight ribbon cut. It is prominently ribbons but there are quite a few broken flake pieces. They aren't big enough to need rubbing but are without a doubt broken flakes.

The tin is literally full to the brim. For this reason the blend hasn't had any room to breathe so it would benefit from a short airing.

This is simple to get lit. A short char and then 'full blast' gets a good burn going. Once lit it's a good and consistent burn too.

The smokes taste? Absolutely superb.

The flavour I get is lead by the Latakia but it tastes less acrid than I often find with Latakia blends. It has a smokiness to it but not a massive blast of bitter smoky flavour. There's also a sort of cedar quality from the Latakia.

To me the Perique isn't as strong. It's present but I find if I retro-hale then it is somewhat easier to taste.

The Kentucky works well with the Latakia's smokiness. The flavour from this adds a sort of smoky Burley nuttiness to the mix.

The Virginia and Cavendish bring the least flavours to Blue Queen. I think the Virginia gives body whilst the Cavendish abates any harshness from the Perique and Latakia.

The nicotine is quite strong. Not stupidly so but I think it would please N smokers.

This is a great blend. Slightly different and unique!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Ramazan Baglan Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: The Danish Pipe Shop
May 22, 2009 Strong None Detected Full Strong
I can only approve of the notes made by my predecessors. This is a tobacco which makes you forget any other mixture. I was notified by a friend of mine; I am fortunate to live in Copenhagen where this excellent mixture is produced, so it's easy for me to purchase it. I usually smoke it in the afternoons and in the evenings, it is too strong for me in the morning. It is a mixture weith Greek and Turkish Orientals to make it an unusually well tasting tobacco. Beware of too large fillings. It's a FULL tobacco. BigBadWolf.
Aug 27, 2004 Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
This was a difficult tobacco to get hold of, and I had to buy a fairly good amount of it in order for the vendor to get it for me. I am glad I did. I have been smoking this for about six months, and it is a late evening smoke I look forward to. This is a Balkan style blend. The latakia dominates but there is plenty of perique and oriental to make this a unique and interesting smoke. You do not get the latakia blast you get from Olsen's Kong Frederick or #7000. I cannot pick up the flavor of the cavendish, but the Virginia is smooth and first rate. I like to smoke this before or after Haddos Delight; it is fun to fool around with that perique thing. Most highly recommended for the Balkan lover who must have perique to make it perfect. Paddy.
Apr 10, 2003 Strong None Detected Full Strong
This tobacco has every chance to become one of your personal favorties, if you like the traditional English mixture!
Lee
Jul 11, 2023 Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
For my 2nd review I’ve chosen another MOB offering, (I live in Denmark, so their tobacco is easy to get.) With Blue Queen, Michael Mortensen has managed to blend: “latakia (40%), perique (15%), cavendish (5%) Kentucky (5%), Oriental (10%), and three different sorts of Virginia (25%)” in perfect harmony. Of course, it’s all high grade leaf, blended to produce a rich combination of flavours that ebb and flow around the dominant, (yet not overpowering), latakia. It’s a blend I intend keeping well-stocked 😊 Simply superb!
Pipe Used: Several
PurchasedFrom: TDPS
Age When Smoked: Freshly stored in airtight jars a month or so ago.
Jan 14, 2017 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is an outstanding blend. You have to get it from Denmark on line and shipping takes about a month. Believe me it's worth it! This is one tasty blend.
Pipe Used: Poul Winslow