A very strong, very cool tobacco from South Africa. This tobacco should be approached with respect.

BrandLeonard Dingler LTD
Packaging25g Pouch
CountryZA
Strength
Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full, Very Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted some South African Blends while visiting a pipe store in Rogers, Arkansas by a forum buddy. I like them, I could live on them and would smoke more of them if they were available to me. Boxer is a strong blend but it is also a kitten as it does not bite. It is very full bodied and has a burley like nutty sweet taste even though it is listed as a VA blend. It comes in an orange celophane pouch, quite large in quantitiy and it is a brown ribbon but that has been pressed to a degree, looks like cavendish. It is dry enough to smoke right out of the pouch and it packs and lights wuite easily and well, though I did have to relight it several times shile smoking it. It burns down to a dust in the pipe a black and grey color. The aroma in the pouch is sweet and not haylike and seems to have a light topping of something though one does not taste the topping while smoking it. The room note is strong and full, but has the pipe aroma of a burley. The "N" factor is there, after finishing a bowl I am quite satified for awhile. If the opportunity to smoke this comes your way, I do recommend trying it, it is a very pleasant smoke. This cowboy has no trouble with it, I wish i had more to smoke.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This tabac is to be approached with caution due to its strength.

I find it to be a very easy tobacco to smoke and enjoy it from time to time. Not a premium product like Rattrays of Petersons but a very good strong old fashioned blend.

Pipmanuk my email addy has changed to Helderberg40@gmail.com. I need to chat to you and lost your addy when my old one went bye bye. Please mail me when you can please.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

As a very lucky recipient of gift of this from Mo, I am reviewing it at his request.

This is a naturally dryish presented tobacco, ribbon cut of at least 4 different constituents, quite rough and twiggy. Has a completely natural scent...there is nothing here but tobacco of African origin...I would guess mainly Zimbabwean.

I see that Pipestud rehydrated his a little when he tried it last year but as Mo tells me that its supposed to be smoked in its natural dryness, I have gone ahead, packed a Group 4 Apple from Dunhill and am smoking as I type.

My first impression is that the previous comparison to Gold Block is very apt indeed. It burns hot and dry on the mouth with no taste much at all. It delivers a satisfying amount of Vitamin N for sure, but it's not particularly strong...I've been happily blowing it through the nose with no effects at all. In strength its not a patch on G & H Rum Twist for example or Jock (also from Africa). These American cowboys fall off their horse at any excuse!

Nothing much changes through the bowl, the strength slowly grows a little, but it succeeds as a good quality basic smoke. If you want complexity this is not a tobacco that offers you much. I will review Jock just as soon as its posted up on this site, but it gets my vote over this. If you liked Gold Block as it used to be, then Boxer is your tobacco. You will enjoy it for sure. Don't try it if you are entering a smoking competition though...it don't last too long.

Lastly I would like to offer my appreciation o the kindness and all good round decent chap-ness of Mo in kindly supplying this very appreciative pipe smoker with a variety of African samples.

Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Many thanks to my fellow reviewer Mo for sending me a sample of Boxer. As a fan of strong, full flavored tobaccos, I was eager to try this South African mainstay.

It arrived somewhat dry, so I re-humidified it by first packing a bowl, and then covering the top of the bowl with my mouth and blowing slowly. I repeated the trick by blowing slowly through the stem. I find that this method of re-hydration is perfect.

Boxer hit me with the first puff. Lot's of strength. As I blew smoke through my nose, the tobacco spice really exploded and I think I lost a few nose hairs.

It smokes very cool and provided a very unique flavor that was not nearly as powerful as the strength of the blend. Being the curious sort of cowboy, I decided to inhale a puff. I can't quite recall what that was like because I immediately fell off my horse.