A fine ready rubbed blend of selected bright and sweet Virginia leaf delicately scented with smooth vanilla.

Notes: Description straight from German pouch

Taste

Lingo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lingo (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

What a lovely one! After getting sick of aromatics, this is still one of my favs. One tin is always there for the morning, better in good weather. Vanilla is huge, but somehow never overtaking. I love the way it leaves your mouth, with a mixture of gentle sweetness BUT with a good and honest (dark?)virginia note on the bottom of it, and it's lovely. Absolute party winner for the roomnote, not too moisty, super easy to smoke.

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo - Obi One

Age When Smoked: new tin

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This has to be taken for what it is: a ready rubbed Virginia with a strong Vanilla pudding casing. It is a welcome change to the millions of Black Cavendish based aromatics. Due to the VA base, it has to be smoked extra slowly, or it will bite. The Vanilla flavor stays nearly until the end of the bowl, where you get a hint of the VAs, which seem to be Dan's standard Mysore type. It will ghost a pipe, so dedicate one, or more, to it, if you want to add it to your rotation.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

When I look to satisfy a sweet tooth, Dan aromatics are hard to beat. The quality is outstanding--not your average cheap cut Burley sauced in buckets of chemicals to mask poor tobacco from the consumer. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Mixture 79, Captain Black, and Three Star Blue.

Still, using finer tobacco varieties can prove problematic. Virginias are considered by many to be poor choices for aromatics due to their high sugar count..which may yield a nasty, hot smoke with an applied casing.

And if you're going to smoke a quality blend, you normally don't opt for a sugar coating. You want to taste the natural flavor of the tobacco. So I guess that's why I like this aromatic series by Dan. It's unconventional. It satisfies my need for a classic taste with a twist.

So I appear to get along fine with Dan blends, and I've tried quite a few--Honeydew, Da Vinci, and that other one that seems to spark a lot of controversy, Blue Note. I like them all.

Now don't misunderstand. These are not regular, everyday smokes. But they're handy to have around when you need a break from the serious tobacco.

"Sweet Honeydew" pretty much hits the mark straight on. The flavor of the blend instantly invokes its name. My only complaint is the rather weak nature of the blend. It's not tame, but I like to add Perique to bolster the strength. Call it a sugar Vaper or something. I don't know, but it works.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This blend has a split personality. Multi. In the pouch, is smells wonderful. So fragrant I could smell it in a sealed package that came in the mail. It smelled of a very perfumed vanilla and the ribbon cut was dark brown with some strands still pressed and needing rubbed out. It packed easily though a touch damp for my taste. It did light up on first light with quite a bit of rise so needed tamping back down from the start. Right off, I found it to unspectacular, almost bland and flat and thought this might not make it a full bowl. But after five minutes, it burst with flavor and taste and the aroma was incredible. The vanilla casing on a very sweet smoking virginia leaf is not overwhelming but is there and delicious. It also had a perfumed taste to it which I guess is the honeydew flavor. Somewhat honey like but to me a little like peach but not always there. It flitted in and out of the vanilla taste. It did heat my pipe up almost too hot, and it seemed a little hot on my tongue but it never caused any tongue bite or burn at all. The second half the smoke was rich and strong and very enjoyable. By the bottom of the bowl, most of the flavor was burned off and the taste of the virginia was dominant. It did require a few relights but burned all the way down to a gray ash with little leaf dottle. The bottom of my bowl was a little damp but no goop.

I was mixed between 3 and 4 stars as there are aros I like better like Pipeworks and Wilke #191 but I got so much enjoyment in my several pipefuls that I had to go 4 star. This one grows on you. I am going to order more of this in the future as just the room note and the middle of the smoke are incredible. This is a great Dan tobacco and worth buying in bulk.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I'm an avowed aromatic smoker so I had high expectations for this tobaccoand it did not disappoint. The smell of the toppings makes me think that this tobacco is one branch removed on CAO's family tree from Blue Note (in a positive Darwinian direction). The tin aroma is certainly indicative of it's relationship but is a more coherent vanilla instead of the rather schizoid vanilla-fruit-whatever of that blend.

Many aromatics seem to use the topping to hide low-grade tobacco. Not so in this case. This may well be a prototypical vanilla aromatic but CAO's use of high-quality tobaccos and subsequent attention to detail during it's blending elevate it high above the competition. The tobacco maintains a pronounced Virginia taste and sometimes lets you know that it's stronger than you may have initially thought.

Despite being fairly moist in the tin, it lights easily and burns evenly throughout the bowl. The finish is surprisingly dry given how moist the tobacco is. I haven't experienced the tongue burn potential that other reviewers mention, and I'm prone to it due to occasional poor smoking form.

In closing, this tobacco is highly recommended if you have any love of sweet aromatic tobaccos. I've finished my first tin and am beginning to stockpile it for the upcoming Y3K crisis.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (25)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Basically a Virginia with vanilla flavoring added. This is a good tobacco. Sweet, creamy, medium mild in strength and a good vitamin N kick. The aroma is very nice, I call it old school pipey! Some complain about bite on this but all Virginia will bite due to the high sugar content that naturally occurs. This has a non sweetened vanilla flavor because it smokes cool. Another scourge of many virginia tobacco if smoked too fast. This actually reminds me more of a Dutch aromatic or an old school Danish that's not confection sweet. This is good ! If you like sweet that's clean and with a little kick, this will do you well.

Pipe Used: La Rocca Due, German No name.

Purchased From: WV. Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Ashton Va. , Mac Baren Symphony..

stephano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stephano (3)
Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

I understand why some shy away from the aromatic blends. To those people, I would humbly submit that SVH is worth at least a try. While it is an aromatic at its base, I posit that those aromatics whose tobacco is of a high quality can compare admirably to the purest of mixtures. SVH is a perfect example of this quality. While the first few puffs are strongly scented, that flavor gradually backs away and leaves only a trace for the second half of the bowl. The creamy sweetness is almost forgotten by the end of the bowl, and you would be hard pressed (no pun intended) to find a better Virginia than the one found at the core of this thick ribbon cut baccy.

Pipe Used: BP Jum

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: Dan Tobacco - Milonga.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

Ok. This is a very sweet tasting, great room smoke. Even my mother in law likes the room of this. My wife thought I had lost my mind when I lit this, asking why it smelled so good. Refreshing on smell and taste, this is a fine smoke for those who prefer a sweeter, more delicte taste. I like this as a change of pace, but my tastes arent so "vanilla" or sweet. I prefer a more citrus-y tatse in my aro's.

Update: traded this tin to a friend and he is now a convert. word is, his girlfriend may make this his only blend.... I have tried this again after a stint of VaPers and burleys, and it is too sweet. Light airy but too sweet. Tastes change...

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I traded with a friend for a sample of SVH, and boy am I glad I did! It now ranks at the top of the few aromatics that I enjoy smoking!

SVH uses Virginias rather than burleys as its main constituent. Which means that it tastes like tobacco, which is more than I can say for some other aromatics (Captain Black comes to mind). The virginia has it's own natural sweetness that comes through despite the casing. The honey/vanilla flavor and aroma is phenomenal. It's sweet, but not too sweet.

Packing and lighting is a breeze. I had no issue with tongue bite even when smoking at a "medium" pace. It smokes dry, and doesn't leave any dottle behind, which is great since it's an aromatic.

I will definitely purchase more of this in the future, and will probably age a couple tins for 1 year and 5 years respectively to see how the blend reacts. The virginias will hopefully only get better!

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

On the strong recommendation of an old friend who started out smoking pipes around the same time I did (and who actually for a while was a tobacconist), I ordered SVH as part of my most recent package from DanPipe.

I had been completely off vanilla-flavoured blends for a long time, and only got myself into this because of this strong recommendation.

The pouch I got contained a nice, ready-rubbed leaf that indeed smelled strongly of vanilla; it was a little moist at first. After drying out for a bit, it would fill easily and burn down nicely, and since it is based on VA instead of Burley, I could even make out some real tobacco during the smoke.

For a vanilla aromatic, this is top notch. You like vanilla, buy it. Highly recommended for the vanilla aromatic afficionado!

For me personally, while there is more strength in there than in most aromatics (particularly vanillas), this blend does not satisfy. I cannot put my finger on the exact point where it fails me; it does have some strength, it is never nasty in any way; just something seems to be lacking for me to recommend it with a clean conscience. This is totally subjective -- just my personal point of view and experience -- but there you are. I'm handing the remaining tobacco over to the person who recommended it to me; these days, I guess, it just is not what turns me on.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is without a doubt the best vanilla blend on the market. Your wife will beg you to smoke it in the house. Heck, your kids may even try to eat it so keep it in a safe place. Please do not mistake this for a blend soley for perfume puffers. Everyone who enjoys fine tobacco IMHO will love this. Nuff said.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Dan tobacco has only enhanced my love for this hobby. Their tobacco is some of the best money can buy(and smoke!)

For Vanilla Honeydew, it is the same story. I love it. Great Virginia topped with delicious flavoring. I would recommend ANY Dan Tobacco. Neither English,Virginia, or aromatic has disappointed me. I tend to hate many English blends but Dan Tobacco does not disappoint!! 5/4 stars.

1/3 bowl is pure,sweet flavor of Vanilla and maybe a caramel undertone.

2/3 is a little flavor and alot of Fire cured Virginia reminiscent of McClelland style Virginia's.

The last part of the bowl is very sweet and very cool to the tongue.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very nice aromatic and an example of why European aromatics are much more enjoyable than American. Sweet Vanilla Honeydew is flavored, but not too flavored so that the natural sweetness of the tobacco can shine through.

This blend packs easily and smokes well. It can use some drying as the more moist bowls of this can become a bit nippy on the tongue. The smoke produces a cool, sweet, vanilla flavor with some nice natural sweetness from the Virginia. It maintains a nice flavor throughout the bowl, although the last third of the bowl loses some sweetness. The room note left by this blend is wonderful and I find it to be delicious.

If you are a dedicate aromatic/sweet blend pipe smoker, this is certainly a good blend for you. I enjoy some aromatics and lighter blends to change it up between bowls of English blends. This is definitely a very nice tobacco that fits the bill when I want something sweet on my tongue and sweet for my lady.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent in every way.I am a true aromatic smoker and this is my absolute favorite tobacco period to this date.Makes me want to smoke bowl after bowl and doesnt bite my tongue,but I smoke slow.I think all tobaccos will bite if puffed like a train,but if smoked like a pipe should be,you cant go wrong here.Absolutely the best if you like sweet aromatics as I do.

Artemus_Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Artemus_Ward (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

You know those marshmallows that are covered with toasted coconut? Well, if you melted one of those over a fire, you'd have the general ambience of this tobacco. That flavoring is not that obvious to me in the tin. The tin aroma is kind of like dried fruit. The toasted coconut/marshmallow flavor and aroma is very evident as soon as the match hits the leaf. Smoke it slowly and pay attention and there is a melony taste in the background.

This was my first experience with this type of aromatic and, from a freshly-openened tin, it was a bit overwhelming. Even though I liked the taste and smell, it was just too much. It also has a tendency to bite if smoked too vigorously. Back off a little and that problem goes away. I put this tobacco away for a few months and found that a little age and a little drying mellows it out considerably.

The room note is a winner with the non-smokers I've smoked around. It also gives you a nice aroma to carry around with you on your clothes after smoking.

I couldn't see making this an all-day or even an every-day smoke but, once in a while, as with those coconut marshmallows, it's nice to have a taste.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

I taste coconut macaroons more than vanilla.

This is a quality aromatic blend and well above average in that regard.

If I was forced to smoke aromatics, this would be in my top three. It does have a significant bite though and that keeps me from rating it any higher. I'll bet that a lot of people will like this though. I may try this again down the road.

Mild to Medium Extra Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As "KISS" said in their famous song about a lady of the evening in the 1970's - "She looked good, She was hotter than hell". That pretty much describes this tobacco.Smells great but could weld steel from the heat and bite.Pass.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've never smoked sulphuric acid but can imagine it must taste like Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

I've tried this in several pipes with the same result. A bitter and acidic taste takes center stage here. It's absolutely horrible.

Maybe I got a bad tin or maybe it's just my system but this was the single most unpleasant smoking experience in 17 years of piping.

DrJohnNash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrJohnNash (9)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Like ?Da Vinci,? his is one of the first tins of tobacco I ever smoked. It was a pleasure until I smoked my way through the second half of the second tin. Then, as with ?Da Vinci,? I just felt like I needed something a little more notably tobacco than noticeably aromatic. Something for the beginner to try, if so inclined, and not at all unpleasant for the aromatic smoker making his way through that area of the tobacco spectrum.

michaelbevilacqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelbevilacqua (9)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The fragrance and presentation of this tobacco is stunning. Hearty, high quality virginia flakes make this blend worth enjoying. Lights with a stroke of a match but will bite just as easily. The room fills with a sweet nectar aroma. This is a quality aromatic.

Ravenwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ravenwood (4)

Wow, coconut on opening the tin.

Two-match light; practically undetectable vanilla; slightly more detectable melon; slight hint of coconut and base VA comes through mid-bowl; surprisingly, not too sweet.

~~~ Worthwhile whim investment.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I've never been overly fond of what I call "blatant" aromatics, but 'Sweet Vanilla Honeydew' is a pleasant surprise. The aroma seems to indicate that the flavour of the tobacco is sweeter than it is. I can taste quality Virginias in this mixture, with only a slight element of sweetness present. The room aroma, however, led a friend of mine who visited me shortly after I had had a bowl of 'Sweet Vanilla Honeydew' to ask what I had been baking.

Good stuff! If I ever become primarily an aromatics fan, I'll upgrade my rating.

------------------------- Edit: 12/09/2004

I have downgraded my recommendation to "Might try it again, but will not keep it on hand". I still think this is a fine tobacco, but I have come to realise precisely why I don't care for aromatics that much...and this is the epitome of an aromatic.

Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

One of the best aromatics I have ever tried: not my favourite kind of tobacco, but certainly a top quality stuff. The tin aroma is EXTREMELY sweet, like candy: caramel, vanilla, honey, coconut. The positive thing is that it smells like real good additives, not the chemical, unnatural smell of many other aromatics (including Planta Danish Black Vanilla). The look is of a ready rubbed-orange colored virginia: an unusual choice, since most aromatics rely on cavendish, and a good one. This is one of the few aromatics in which you still can feel some tobacco in it, and the natural sweetness of Virginia is ideally complemented by the casing. Upon firing, the taste is not as sweet and dominated by vanilla as one might expect from the tin aroma. It isn't nauseating at all, unlike Danish Black Vanilla. The taste is a careful balance between the virginia tobacco, the vanilla, and a hint of something that may remind of anise. It burns fine, with some wetness but not much sticky goop. Really, I don't like aromatics but this one can't seem to have any real negative points to complain about, unless of course my lack of passion for aromatics. It is also one of the very few blends that my female colleagues at work appreciate, so for someone this might be an added value. But, after all, CAO is always a guarantee for decent tobaccos of any kind... If you like the genre, you can boost my rating to three stars.

OlFacty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OlFacty (11)

I had very high expectations for this blend. The reviews sounded wonderful and I was ready for a great aromatic.

The tin aroma was sweet, but not overly topped.

The variation in the ribbon cut between tins seemed to be almost as if they were two different blends, one tin had ribbons about 2 inches long, caked about ½ thick. Once prepared packing was very nice. The tobacco held a light nicely and smoked straight through the bowl leaving a light-gray ash.

I think if my expectations would not have been so high, I may have enjoyed this more, but since I was looking for the perfect dessert blend, I left disappointed.

This still was a very nice tobacco.

So far, I have not received any comments on the room note but from what I noticed the aroma was wonderfully sweet.

I would recommend this to all, but due to the tin variations do not let the previous reviews get you too excited.

TnT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnT (7)

A mild and smooth aromatic blend that has quality tobacco as its base. Not over-cased, this tobacco burns clean and dry.

Probably a great choice for lovers of aromatics, but for me, not one that I'm likely to purchase again - when spending this much for a tobacco, I'm much more inclined to buy a virginia flake.

Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This is another one of those "Babe Magnet" blends. Light up a bowl in public and the women come running because they love the smell. It was way too sweet for me though, and I had to work hard to finish the bowl.

This blend does reek of quality, from the leaf to the top coating. It smoked mostly dry, and very cool considering the amount of casing.

If you are an aromatic fan, and want to try a cased virginia (rather than the usual cased burley blends) then cash in on this one.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This blend had a lot of potential. With an amazing room note and taste I liked it for a while. The wife found it very pleasant and basically asked for it to be smoked once in a while.

Like other tobaccos in my opinion it was over cased and bit too much. The taste did have vanilla in it, which is difficult to achieve, kudos.

In the end it was an awesome blend to try, but not one I'd keep. I would however recommend it to an aromatic smoker.

Pipe Used: Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Smokedale Tobacco MN

scoho7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scoho7 (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I absolutely enjoy this Sweet Vanilla Honeydew tobacco from Dan Tobacco. I've recently tried other vanillas but none were able to match their smell. The pouch smells just as the name states, but the smell actually translates to the taste. It is a smooth, mild smoke, burns just right, and leaves a pleasant taste in the air and mouth. One of my new favorites.

Egalitarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Egalitarian (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I both the new tin last week. I thought this could be one of my favorite. Upon finishing 3 bowls, I could not stand not to write this review. This is the worst aromatic I have ever experienced and There is nothing you can detect so called sweet, and vanilla. It left me so bitter and sour though I smoke very gentle with my fresh pipe. The room note is horrible. I threw it to dust bin. Stay away from this overrated tobacco.

Bridgedweller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bridgedweller (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I'm a new pipe smoker...but PastorPipe has given what I would call a very accurate review as I concur with his words almost exactly. Nice tin note...the tobacco appeared to come out of the tin ready to smoke without any drying required. The smoke did give a pleasant room note but I was hard pressed to taste any vanilla of any kind. After about a quarter of the bowl I did start to get other subtle tastes from the various tobaccos. The end result I find is a decent tobacco to smoke with little taste for those smokers who have interest in smoking an aromatic without the noticeable flavors of anything added to the tobacco!! I'll give it a 2...and I'm sure I won't buy again as I'm looking for something with more flavor. I'll finish the tin but I'll treat it as a regular tobacco rather than an aromatic with regard to how it tastes rather than how it "should" taste and smell!!

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I grew up on vanilla-flavored aromatics. Even today 1Q and BCA hold a special place in my heart, and I smoke them on rare occasions. I like this one better. For years I silently hoped for someone to figure out a way to make a vanilla aromatic taste like vanilla AND tobacco all down the bowl, and smoke dry. Hope fulfilled.

I got this as a sample from a pipe buddy - perhaps about 2 oz. It wasn't the typical ribbon aromatic cut, looks like it may have started life as a broken flake. I did have to rub it out somewhat. Nice mahogany color and an overabundance of aroma. I was not hopeful. But the flavor was both heavier on the vanilla than the Lane's blends as well as more tobacco-y. It was still more vanilla than tobacco, but I got the impression that this was what Mac Baren was trying to accomplish with their Vanilla Creme, and they failed miserably. I found this one to be an exceptional vanilla aromatic. For those that enjoy this type of blend, wait no longer - jump on this one. Smokes very dry, very tasty and full of vanilla flavor, and the flavor doesn't go awol on me at half-bowl. Someone finally conquered the venerable vanilla aromatic - it's about time!

I reviewed 2 tobaccos today and gave the aromatic a higher rating than the latakia blend. So far the sky is not falling but it may yet!

kanular Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kanular (8)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

You will never feel alone with this one, you could whatch the most beautifull girl in the world without paying attention. If you have a wife, wait she's not home to smoke this one she could be jalous, and open the window before she comes back she may think an other girl was there and be jalous also :)

"Happy puffin"

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

As close to vanilla as you can get.Sometimes the taste gets overwhelming for me and i can't smoke it all day, but for the aromatic fan this is a must try blend.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco has an unusual aroma...a bit sour...kind of artificial and not what I would call honeydew..vanilla very low note. This is another one that I'm going to let sit and revisit. There is something about it that reminds me of my travels to the far east ..I can't quite figure out why. I'm hoping it improves with age. I would recommend asking someone for a pinch to try but if you are expecting true vanilla and sweet honeydew melon you might be disappointed. Will update in a few months.

Afraz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Afraz (14)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I like this more than other dan tobacco aromatics. Good smell good taste good room note. I ll buy it again.

pjxii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pjxii (4)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This blend must have been made with regard only for those around the person smoking it, as it is quite mild but gets rave reviews about how great it smells when it's in my pipe. That's not a bad thing, especially if your significant other doesn't like "tobacco smell." Unfortunately the aroma enjoyed by the room doesn't come through for the person actually smoking the bowl, and though I like to have SVH on hand for those around me, it's not one that I actually get much from. Be aware that this stuff DOES BITE unless smoked slowly.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I love aromatics and test them all. Then I came back to SWH, and smoke a full tin in a few days. This blend is very well balanced without exceeding with vanilla, and fall into mac barens and other brand's sickness. Honey is dominant over vanilla here, and the room note reminds of candies. Not like with danish blends, but quite almost. I am very sorry for those that cannot enjoy a tin of Sweet vanilla Honeydew, because they are missing an experience. Just like the Da Vinci from Dan, the Blue Note, the Autumn Evening, the W.O. Larsen Vintage, and all the rest of first class aromatics, this blend is top quality. Expensive, unfortunately. Not too mild in strength.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (22)

I just ordered Vanilla Cream by Mac Barens but company had mistake and send this brand to me, its half flake, very dry and hard to burn. I believe it's not best Vanilla tobacco but not to bad :)

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Let me first say that I love all things vanilla. The tin aroma of this tobacco is wonderful-- like the smell of vanilla-sented Yankee Candle. However, this pleasant vanilla aroma does not translate to the flavor, which is honestly quite boring and even unpleasant at times. I am not at all biased against aromatics. I like many different kinds of blends depending on what I'm in the mood for. I have tried Sweet Vanilla Honeydew enough times now to know with certainty that to me it is a big disappointment. There is little to no vanilla flavor. There is occasional sweetness from the Virginas, but that's about it. If I want a nice sweet Virginia, I can get a nice sweet Virgina anytime. I was hoping the vanilla would add something very special. It didn't--just less than satisfying Virgina tobaccos that bit my tongue, smoked hot, gurgled, and left a lot of wetness in my pipe, even after some drying time. At times the flavor was bitter and unpleasant, although as I smoked on, the pipe yielded a few nice puffs. Actually, I didn't really puff, but sipped ever so gently, and still I got tongue bite. Happily, the tongue bite didn't last too long after the pipe was finished.

Sure I'll finish the tin, because I'm cheap and hate to waste money. However, I'll never buy another tin. I gave it two stars because the tin aroma is really lovely and the room note is nice. The flavor wasn't awful (except for the occasional bitterness), just disappointing and unmemorable. I didn't give it one star because a pipe tobacco has to be pretty foul for me to give it one star. This isn't foul, just uninteresting in terms of flavor. I don't know, maybe I got an 'off' tin.

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

If you like MacB's vanilla creme you will love this stuff.

This is a quality broken flake VA and tastes like one, the vanilla casing is very well applied and balanced. For a VA it barley bites at all! Good stuff!

Its hard to find an aromatic that tastes like tobacco first and flavoring second, and even harder to find one that has enough vitamin N to satisfy. I thought Mac-B's vanilla creme was the best in that category, but I was mistaken.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

a nice virgina lightely flavored with vanilla. a lite smoke and flavoring i find make it a very plesant blend. i am a fan of stright viriginas and this does not dissapoint

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)

Nice smoke and a great honey/vanilla finish! I found that it likes to be smoked very slow, but in turn will give you a room of thick rich smoke. It certainly is a classic well crafted Dan tobbacco, and will make my rotation when I'm having that sweet tooth craving after dinner.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (26)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Finally I found what I think is the best aro in stores, even if some more tries await for me..I'm not in these kind of tobacco that much, I smoke pure Virginia or EMs most of the time, alternating some Burley based blend, but Vanilla has always been queen of my taste, in food & stuff, and tobacco too! What makes me fond of this blend from the first puffs is that there's a true, selected virginia base....Honey & Vanilla scent, delightful and prominent on openin' the tin, becomes then less important, leaving natural Virginia sweetness to come out and play a beautiful battle! I'd rate it more if it only had a lil' more punch on the Nico Side ( that's why I sometimes blend it with some Italian Kentucky or - and this maybe a crime for some experts - a little amount of Full Virginia Flake) Recommended!

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)

My experience with this blend has been unusual, if not unique.

I purchased it because of it's excellent reputation as a quality aro. When I opened the tin a strong, lovely aroma of something pleasantly sweet greeted me: a quality virginia with lots of vanilla, sugar cookies, honey and maybe tropical fruit. I was not disappointed when I lit that first bowl -- it was really very delicious, a quality vanilla virginia aro with hints of honey and some sweet fruit like peaches or honeydew that were at times more prominent than the vanilla. The point is, it was a very nice, delicious, satisfying smoke that lived up to its reputation. I was glad to have found another aro to add to my rotation.

Now normally, the more I get to know a blend the better I like it. This is probably the only time when the reverse has been true for me -- the more I got to know this blend, the less I liked it. A lot less. What had been a delightful smoke -- smooth and sweet -- ended up tasting like smoldering cigarette ashes: hot and bitey and tasteless, generally quite unpleasant.

Were my pipes dirty? No... Had the blend aged very poorly in a short time? Maybe, I don't know. But I never had a blend start off with such promise and end with such disappointment.

I give it two stars to average out my experience with it -- my first few smokes were a solid 3.5 stars. Then there were some solid 2 star smokes. My last few were 1 star.

It's definitely worth a try, though mileage may vary pretty wildly for no accountable reason (as the variety of reviews for this blend seem to attest -- my experience seemed to run the gamut of them). If you try it I hope you experience it at its best, which is very good indeed.

Magebear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magebear (1)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Very strong Vanilla/Honey smell out of the can, not as much while smoking it. Enjoyable!

First tobacco to give me tongue bite though.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

This is not my cup of tea, but it is still a great cup. An exceptional aromatic with great taste and quality virginias. It burns cool and sweet to the bottom of the bowl. I may visit this one on occasion, when I crave something sweet or in the company of non-smokers. Another Dan good blend.

Update: I rubbed this out completely and added 5% perique. Voila! It's now a 3star blend.

Update2: Try mixing this 50-50 with Tordenskjold Virginia slices. Rub both out well. The slices are a little fuller and have a light chocolate casing. Excellent blend. Tones down the vanilla and produces a cooler slightly fuller smoke with a suble chocolate undertone and a smidge of perique. A wonderful any time of day blend for aromatic lovers, with restraint.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

It was quite long ago, since the times of my review to Admiral's Flake (which I liked very much), that I haven't dedicated any pipeful to a vanilla-flavoured blend.

The Christmas period seemed to be the right one for a new vanilla experience, so I grabbed a tin of this SVH - one of the most expensive blend by Dan (here in Italy, I mean)- due to the favourable reviews in the TR community.

SVH is a blonde Virginia-based ready rubbed, the tin aroma very appealing indeed. Mild in strength, it burns cool and velvety, with no bite at all even if pushed. The casing imparts what is supposed to do but in a "transparent" way, leaving the quality virginia weed some place to display its herbal/fruity tone. The burning qualities are optimal, absolutely dry with no gurgle and no goop, and not leaving the pipe insanely hot like many Virginias do.

Regarding me, I could rate this four * if only the strength/body were a wee bit more pronounced, like Admiral's do in force of the B/Ky reinforcements.

All in all, SVH is a blend of good qualities, and confirms the good job Dan is doing in the Virginia department.

kukulis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kukulis (12)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Update:

The previous notes was made after smoking this tobacco using a pipe with a filter. Yesterday I tried it without filter. The taste is realy realy sweet. So I change the taste rank, but the recomendation rank remains the same.

---

The description says that it is very sweet aromatic tobacco, but I think it is quite mild indeed. Burns very stable and cool. No bite at all. The body is very mild, and if you try to draw hard trying get more nicotine, the smoke becomes a bit more hot.

I did not feel a vanilla smell, but honey smell is noticeable. Taste is very gentile and the aroma is very nice to me, but my boss told it stinks, so either she was in a bad mood or the tobacco is not so pleasant for no smokers.

I give 3 solid stars. Because this tobacco taste and aroma are too simple. Sometimes it is a good side of course. I think I will buy a new tin when finished current.

tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)

Super blend...my tin took a nice burn after just a moment. May need to rub it a little more but a wad poked in the pipe with a pocket below works well. Nice taste, no bite and no gurgle. A quality aromatic so I expect many will reject it out of hand. More the fool they.

smokeybandit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeybandit (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I picked up a tin of this the other day and was pleasantly suprised by how good it was. It's a virginia tobacco which would not be my first choice, but it turned out to be a very good blend.

The sweetness of the Virginias is very good, then there's a nice touch of vanilla that comes through. This is one that you can force to bite if your a fast smoker, but it can be smoked cool too if you slow down.

Had no problems lighting and almost always finish the bowl without having to relight, but I must say that when I did have to relight the taste was very good right away, which is usually not the case.

I give it 3 solid stars because 4 stars are reserved for my favorite blends, but it is a solid smoke.

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is for the sweet tooth times for sure. It is very sweet and pleasant to smoke. Bites a tad but not where it cant be controlled with small samplings from the stem. I really do enjoy the flavorings in this one. Both are rather strong and stand out with every draw. Tends to favor the honey side but not by much. If you want a sweet tooth craving satisfier then this will fit the ticket. Burns down to a fine ash too. Most aromatics dont. It does leave a wet bottom in the bowl. A good Virginia follow up will remedy the situation.

Sonaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sonaris (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is probably as good as it can get in the sphere of aromatics. The warmth of absolutely ravishing vanilla blended with sweet notes of Honey are indeed a delight. If you are ready to start exploring aromatics, this is the pinnacle in the arsenal of Dan Tobacco. The room note is excellent, and will certainly motivate some interesting conversation - especially amongst the non-smokers. Furthermore, as the room note is so unobtrusive, one can hardly find any complaints even from the most committed non-smokers. As one opens the tins, a whiff of sweet honey/vanilla rises into the olfactory tracts. And believe me its description/name proficiently describes what is in the tin. A must have for any aromatic lover.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is the best Vanilla tobacco I have ever tasted. To start with, the scent that comes off when you open the box is beautiful. The Virginia base is a good smoke, and this it one of the strong points of this tobacco. The base does not alter nor is covered by the honey taste of vanilla. It is easily lit, does not cause any tongue biting and it burns nicely until the end. It does not retain its aroma until the end, but I don?t think any aromatic can do that.

I will surely buy it again for a very nice break between the Orientals I some these days.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Like the name says: sweet. Vanilla/Honey casing.

I don't usually smoke aromatics but this is a fine specimen. Once can taste the tender Virginia cavendish under the casing, which is a quality flavouring discreetly applied. The result is as light as a soufflé flambé and should please young men and their significant others/sames.

It burns surprisingly dry in a medium-sized Charatan. Very nice.

Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I absolutely love this aromatic, the aroma/flavor is delicious, sweet honey/vanilla/flowers, feminine, smell similar to casharel perfume for girls and taste as good as my girlfriend leap steak!, the casing/flavoring seems to be natural without chemical after taste, the tobacco is good quality and easy to pack/smoke, I ordered this in bulk of 8oz pack and for sure I will be ordering more.

Tongue bite is not an issue if it is packed properly and smoked slowly.

Many anti aromatic smokers are negatively reviewing aromatic blends, I find this is nonsense; this is one of the best vanilla blend out there, taste tobacco, smell wonderful for vanilla lovers without any bite. Give it a try!

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Tongue bite is not an issue if it is packed properly and smoked slowly.

Gran Grifón Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gran Grifón (9)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Pleasant

This is a strong aromatic mixture. It smells great, true vanilla and coconut. But don´t trust this light appareance, this blend bites like anyone. Not only tongue and mouth, but lips even!! It doesn´t matter if you smoke slow. If you can support the bitting it´s a true candy but not for me.

rx2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rx2010 (3)

I got a couple tins of this in recently, I should have ordered more.

I decided I needed to dive into some of my new baccy, and I was in the mood for something sweet. I popped open the tin and was greeted by a delicious tin scent. It almost smelled like strawberries (althought he baccy didn't taste like that at all).

I filled my new Savinelli Roma to the brim. It is somewhere between a ready rubbed and a ribbon. Had a good moisture content, but wasn't wet at all.

I didn't get much flavor right at first, but after about 5-10 minutes or so it picked up nicely. You could taste the natural sweetness of the virginias (and the VA flavor held out all the way down). And then, in addition to that, there was also a nice sweet, not overpowering vanilla flavor. For reference, if the vanilla presence in MB Vanilla Cream is a 6, this is a 3-4.

and then for the honeydew, I did not taste this while smoking, but I took a few draws after it had gone out (as I set it down a few times to do other things) and there was a definite honeydew melon taste, it was quite interesting.

All in all, I really enjoyed this tobacco. I smoked it all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. I've read on here that a lot of people had issues with tongue bite. I did not experience any at all, but I wasn't smoking fast. Just a nice relaxed pace, it never got hot, and it lit and stayed lit very easily.

If you like aros, or sweet VAs, I'd recommend this to you. I give it an 9/10 (4 stars).

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Very Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoy aromatics by Dan Tobacco,they make some of the most tastiest aromatics around.But this blend is very tasty,the sweet vanilla is superb on this blend but this aromatic burns my mouth hotter than the fires of hell!I recieved this as a sample and after a few puffs I almost gave in to buying a tin but when the casing set my tongue on fire more than anything I ever experienced in aromatics I decided it simply wasn't worth it.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Heavily cased. The tin aroma and room note are excellent. However, like most cased tobacco, it carries a sour flavor when it gets too hot. Keeping it cool AND lit is a problem. It requires too much attention for what I get out of it.

If you're smoking for the aroma and the folks around you, this is it. I'll finish the tin, but that's enough for me.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you can stand the heat the flavor is good. I could not take the searing so I cannot give it a thumbs up.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I think this blend description is wrong - they are using white BURLEY here, NOT Virginias.

The tobacco taste and aroma in this one are identical to the drug store burleys I have smoked. In fact, when I first lit this one, I immediately thought "Hmmmmm, a nice staright burley".

Yes, I've read the description here and re-read the description on the tin,,,, But,,,, sorry, I don't buy it. This is NOT a VA, it is a burley cut and dried;)

Top note you say? Yes, it has one but it is my least favorite among the vanillas I have tried - and I like vanilla blends as a rule. This is the first one I have not recommended (one star). The "honeydew" part of the name (I suspect) is due to the sourness of the burley that overpowers my taste-buds. Vanilla? barely detectable after the first few puffs.

This is a high quality burley and if it had been marketed as such I would have given it at least 2 stars for the honesty.

But, such as it is, I only grant one star.

Try some from a friend (for free);) before you buy this porker.

Not recommended Vanilla / VA fans.

Good draw to You!

Ethan "Glorfindel" Dickey

PS: Why is this blend listed twice in the database?????????? Shot who with a what now?

gorealestate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gorealestate (28)

Not overwhelming in vanilla like I anticipated but a nice ?sweet? vanilla as it?s title states. The statement in CaptnDan?s review about Blue Note sneaking up once in a while is right on. It seams that throughout the smoke, the flavor sort of wavers in and out with bites of the sweet vanilla. Before smoking this fine blend, I was curious of how the honeydew would come out as a flavor in pipe tobacco and yes, the honeydew flavor is there, but only as a backdrop which is a great addition to the sweet vanilla and Virginias. Will bite if smoked fast, but if smoked slow (the way it should be!), you will no doubt be pleased. I would not say this is a hot smoke or excessively bites. I don?t think that this blend can get any better. The tastes are very even and not overwhelming or weak. The room aroma is pleasing and sweet nectar smelling. Looking forward to smoking this on the patio on a summer night. Hell, I might even use this as a humming bird attractant! One of my favorites next to Blue Note.

gorealestate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gorealestate (28)

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Its an aromatic and is hot, gets acidic occasionally, not being and aromatic smoker, this is one of the best Ive smoked and is better than boutique styles.

thedstinguishdgntlmn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedstinguishdgntlmn (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like Karl Erik's No 16 Cherry blend you will like this. This would be th vanilla version of that. It can be a little hot though. I blended one third McClelland's Blending Orientals in this and it slowed the burn, cooled the pipe, and cut the sweetness. It is very European in flavor. I liked it. 3 of 4 aromatic stars. P.S. It is rather sweet.

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a quality cut aromatic, with only high grade virginias lightly cased with (what I feel is mostly coconut). Wonderful aroma. This will bite especially on relight. It burns evenly, leaving a little goop at the bottom, but not much. I will buy more.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Paitence, friends, this is loooooong winded

First two things first. ok, three really.(plus a fourth, then the review) 1. this review is for my wife. this is her all time favorite. 2. Strength is relative, she mostly smokes light smokes. 3. Room note is Very Pleasant,(this site always gets this wrong) and I agree. So, my wonderful wife depends on me sometimes to express herself. I say sometimes because she is an English shy woman. Her tounge is Austrian. She is also a little afraid to be seen smoking a pipe in public, a problem that says much about stereotypes in the collective us, whatever country. Yes, though, she tokes, and she loves the smell of Black Mallory (smoked and un) although she's afraid to smoke it. Review. We first tasted this in Italy. I found a pipe shop in Fierenze(sp) (Florence) and spent 40? on some Rattray's 7 reserve, Peterson's Dublin and Whiskey, and Sweet vanilla Honeydew. That's all the good stuff I could find. (the are two of DAN SVH listed here, I picked the underdog). Never had we smelled anything so tastey, in a pipe or tin. In fact, it was that evening that my wife smoked her fist pipeful. She now owns two pipes. (please don't tell her friends) he he he My thoughts--Though this has great aroma and flavor, for me it has no nicotine and bites worse than any Mac Baren. thanks for your time. . . .smoke it if you got it.;-}

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

First of all, I am not a fan of aromatics. I used to be, but no more. So why did I smoke this blend? Because others who are not fans of aromatics said it was good. Ya know what? They were right.

The vanilla is done nicely, not over the top at all. The melon flavor was a fleeting thing, peeking out once in a while. The Virginia base is decent tobacco.

I did notice too that sometimes it tastes like you're on the verge of tasting Blue Note, but it never comes out all the way.

If you like aromatics, try this. If you don't like aromatics, try it anyway - you might be surprised. I know I was.

Joseph Durham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joseph Durham (16)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, is a little bit more than the title states. Upon opening the tin the aroma is much like that of Blue Note with a little coconut.

The taste of the tobacco is a combination of Virginians, coconut, vanilla, and there seems to be a little cincinnamon mixed in the blend. However, the cincinnamon may just be the effect from the Virginia, coconut, and vanilla.

At first there seems to be a little trouble getting the tobacco to light, but once you get it to light, it emits a wonderful odor. While burning the ribbons turn a wonderful white color.

Everyone in the room or anywhere near you will have a smile on their face as they enjoy the aroma coming from your pipe.

This tobacco is a wonderful break from English blends or Latika's. I recommed this to anyone wanting to enjoy a good aromatic tobacco.

This will not be a constant tobacco, but one to look forward to.

Navy Chief Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Navy Chief (3)

I find this to be a wonderful smoke when I am in the mood for an aromatic. There is a slight hint of coconut along with the expected vanilla upon opening the tin. Lites well with 2 matches, one for char, one after tamp and burns nicely all the way down to the bottom of the bowl without leaving a goopy mess. There are some interesting flavors in the course of smoking this, you can catch the vanilla of course, maybe a hint of coconut at the very beginning of the bowl, and I guess what must be honeydew adding a nice light fruit flavor. The flavors very slowly taper off through the course of the bowl and it ends nicely with some good tobacco flavor with just barely a hint of the topping.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It's... not that bad! I can no longer smoke many of the aromatics I previously enjoyed, notably MacBarens Vanilla Cream (too fruity), but I came across this in my cellar and re-tried it. Sweet and vanilla-y and surprisingly enjoyable as a change of pace.

The cut is very fine ribbons which makes for easy loading and minimal relights. No propylene glycol, no goop. The taste is simply Virginia tobacco and vanilla, no more nor less. No cavendish or seemingly artificial flavoring, no caramel, apricot, "gangrenous horse meat", just vanilla and not all that overpowering (in a year-opened tin, anyway). Some reviewers detected coconut, I cannot.

Of course, one should use a dedicated pipe for aromatics; I suspect it leaves a mark.

The room note is definitely social, as one would expect.

If you need a break from Penzance or Nightcap, this is about as opposite as you can get. For those who just want a tad of vanilla top note, use it as a condiment with your usual Virginia.

Certainly a must-try for the aromatic smoker and the former Captain Black smokers. I won't smoke this all the time, but it will definitely displace a couple other aromatics when I'm looking for a change. High class stuff here.

jetstream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jetstream (10)

I'm a real beliver in if you smoke, smoke quality. Especially if you're an aromatic smoker you need to smoke blends with quality ingredients. This blend is quality. Good tobacco with a good casing to compliment. The tin aroma is very pleasing. On first light, the top note is... coconut? Reminded me of a Peter Stokeby blend I used to smoke 25 years ago. The burn is even and not too hot, but not as cool as I like. As for flavor it's good, but not one that really grabs me. It's like a bag of chips, there's all kinds of flavors. Some you like anytime, some you only want occasionally. This is one of those times. It's closes match is MacBaren' Vanilla Creme, and some of the Gawith blends. It's a good blend that I'll smoke as a change of pace.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

My first encounter with this blend was a bit overwhelming. The smoke really improved as I worked my way down the bowl. This has the same distinct flavoring system as Blue Note without what others have referred to as a "bubble gum" flavor. I think this tobacco will improve as the strength of the topping evaporates somewhat. If it doesn't lessen over time, this will be an occasional change-of-pace. A quality tobac that burns quite a long time for an Aromatic.

thedigger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedigger (17)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Pleasant

SWEET, SWEET, SWEET! Another great smelling tin by C.A.O.; but also another C.A.O. aromatic that was too sweet for me (like Blue Note). This smells like a flavored, fruity desert and more like vanilla extract than vanilla scented tobacco. The smell was great; the smoke was not. This is what I think it would taste like to pack sugar and vanilla extract into my favorite pipe and light it up.

Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This one surprised me!

08-24-04 Appearance and Tin Aroma: Sweet Vanilla and something else? Coconilla? Nice golden VA rubbed out flake.

Packing and Lighting: the flakes are broken, but still a little stubborn to pack. Lighting was typical two-three lights.

Initial Flavor: Strong casing at first!

Mid-Bowl: VA starts to assert itself, casing mellows.

Bottom of bowl: A slight build up of strength, casing is still strong, can get a little ashy flavored at times.

Overall: This is a nice VA aromatic, sure to quench the sweet-tooth from time to time. I still prefer MC Clelland's 221b Honeydew over this one though. That one is smoother and not quite as sweet, with the leaf a little more noticable in the flavor.I think a get a few tins and age and see what happens in a few years. BTW this finishes dry, but will flavor your pipe, dedicate a pipe to it!

Rating 3.75 out of 5 points.

p.smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.smoker (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

i really like this tobacco.i love aromatic blends and this one is a good one.to me the tin smell is a chocolate,vanilla mix.while smoking it i can taste a little chocolate every now and then.it burns great and burns to a nice white ash.the room note is very pleasant.a light vanilla scent was how my family describes it. i really enjoy mac barens vanilla cream.this blend doesnt have the bite that mac barens does.it burns cool and sweet.if your looking for a great tasting and smelling aromatic tobacco give this one a try.if you dont like it send it to me!

p.smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.smoker (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

i bought this tobacco after already smoking mac barens vanilla cream.i really dont notice that much vanilla.the can aroma is nice and the room note is pleasent.i just dont think its as flavorful as mac barens.its alittle bit more expensive too.it has a little bite to it if not smoked slow.i`m not sure if i`ll order another tin.

primekart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
primekart (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

When I read the reviews on Blue Note, I tried to put my hands on the tobacco, but could not find it in Israel. The Importer of Dan Tobacco in Israel did not import it because Dan Tobacco did not export it in 50 Gr. packs but only in tins. Since the demand in Israel for Drugstore tobacco in tins is negligible, he refrained from importing it. So I was introduced to Sweet Vanilla Honeydew which became my main regular smoke. Even though it might become a bit harsh under a fast smoke, I find it very pleasant to smoke and very ?politically correct? with non-smoking friends and family. Now that the Importer in Israel has started to import Blue Note in 50 Gr. Packs, I share my smoking between the 2 blends.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

My local Tobacco Shop keeps this on hand, I believe just for me, but I'm not sure. I enjoy a good tasting aromatic tobacco and this one has it all, I just cannot make a steady diet of Sweet Vanilla Honeydew or I would not be able to smoke my other tobaccos. If you enjoy a good aromatic this is a good one to try.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I normally smoke burley blends and virginia flake and perique blends. So needless to say I was looking for a wife pleaser and I believe to have found it. This weed is top quality and pretty delicious. My Peterson system pipes took to this blend very well. Very delightful makes me and the wife smile. Also keeps me indoors, it won't replace my virginia/perique blends but a couple of times a week sounds good. I highly recommend this to aromatic smokers looking to get away from the drugstore blends.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Seeing flint's review of Sweet Vanilla Honeydew reminded me of the time I purchased a tin. It's been more than two years ago, but I well remember the shock of not having the smell match the flavor.

Upon opening the tin, I discovered an absolutely beautiful, mostly rubbed out bright Virginia leaf that smelled heavenly. That is usually my first indication that, at the match, I won't like it. This was different though. I tasted a quality Virginia that was only lightly artifically sweetened. Despite the casing, it did not burn hot unless I puffed too agressivly.

Although I did smoke a few bowls just for fun, it will not make my regular rotation. I probably won't even buy another tin in my lifetime (which, unfortunately, gets shorter by the moment!) But, if you are a fan of aromatics and want to taste tobacco as you smoke, you could sure do worse than this stuff.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Strong

In my experience, one of the problems with aromatics is the difference between what they promise and what they deliver.If you are an aromatic smoker this one delivers. The taste stays throughout the bowl. I notice a slight sourness about 1/2 way through (might be the tobacco intensifying) but it smooths out and burns fairly clean to the bottom. You can definitely taste the virginia in this blend, so unlike some aromatics that contain burley, this one commands respect. All in all, a good quality tobacco and a pleasant experience.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

the first thing that will grab your attention about this blend is the tin aroma. it is very strong when first opened, so much so that you may be hesitant to fill your pipe if you are not a big aromatic fan. once packed and lit, however, it's not nearly as strong as you might have imagined. the vanilla flavoring is well balanced by the virginias in this blend. i'm not a regular aromatic smoker, but i do like this one at times after a big meal, in lieu of dessert. the burn is very good for an aromatic, and it smokes fairly dry, with no "gurgle" problems that plague so many other of its' ilk. IMHO, the most outstanding characteristic of this blend is it's room note. this one will definitely make friends for both you and your pipe. 30 years ago, in my young single days, i smoked a lot of aromatics to please the young ladies. if this one had been available then, i would probably have kept several tins on hand. 3 stars.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Distributed in the USA by C.A.O. Hard to locate @ my local shops but an easy find on the net. Delightful aroma in both the tin and the room but not heavily cased as a true aromatic would be. No syrupy goo in the bowl although the taste lingers in the pipe used. I clean before changing tobaccos. One of the few that my wife compliments even indoors. It has been pressed as a flake but rubbed out quite evenly. I normally smoke straight VA flakes and must be carefull or this blend will get slightly hot. I prefer a smaller bowl pipe to avoid the wettness I experienced in my large Charatans. Even flavor from start to finish and uniform ash. However, I taste more of the VA tobacco than the hint of vanilla. This one is too expensive for me to be an everday smoke but I really enjoy it as a treat.

matjasko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matjasko (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Definitely, this is for the aromatic tobaccos lovers. When I first tried it, it was a real treat, a difference to the other aromatics I've tried. When correctly packed (!), it gives a very delightfuly sweet taste and aroma and has an excellent room note, which I guess most of the non-smokers would appreciate. Maybe, it is somewhat to sweet to be an every-day or all-day tobacco, but once (or twice) in a week sounds quite good.