Haddo's Delight is a stout blend of several Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut Perique. Unflavored Green River black Cavendish and a little air-cured white Burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength. Finally, an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit. The flavor is full on the palate, earthy, slightly sweet and intriguingly piquant, with overtones of figs and raisins. A wonderful blend for the Perique lover!

Notes: Haddo's Delight was introduced in August, 2000.

BrandG. L. Pease
Taste

3.1
Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Haddo House is the stately home of the Marquess of Aberdeen, designed in 1730 by William Adams, at Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It is also the name of a lake and mountain in British Columbia. Finally, Oliver Haddo is the name of the necromancer in W. Somerset Maugham's novel THE MAGICIAN(1907), a character inspired by Maugham's acquaintance with the notorious British occultist, Aleister Crowley (1875-1947).

Just a bit of Magick! [note the spelling] is how G. L. Pease characterises this mélange, and whether it conjures up the gracious living of one of the loveliest houses in Scotland, or the transfigured beauty of the Canadian West, or merely the thelemic prestidigitations of an illusionist, you will agree that, when he gets around to choosing allusive titles, Mr Pease doesn't kid around.

We all know the great Virginia/Périque mixtures: Escudo, Three Nuns, Saint Bruno, possibly Dunhill's Elizabethan. HADDO's DELIGHT now joins them. It is very much final proof of G.L.'s mastery at taking up something old, and making it new and delightful.

The savoury sweetness of Virginia is the basis of this composition, yet the plain-spoken burley, subtly flavoured, never lets it grow wearing. Cavendish prevents bite, and puts velvet on the smokiness. But the greatness here is in the use of Périque: it gives the whole composition a heady liveliness, an air-borne edge, that makes the whole thing stimulating and fun. I put this in a Dunhill prince, sat in the balcony, and gave God thanks that, when he created the Manhattan skyline, he also created pipes and Périque.

Dare we now hope for a DIANE de ROUGY companion mixture?

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of those tobaccos that I knew from the first couple of puffs would become a favorite. The tin aroma reminded me of the brandy flavoring in Barbary Coast, which I enjoyed. It should be noted that I rated this as "mild to medium" in the flavoring category but to be truthful, the nose of it was mild to medium. This flavor came out in the smoke but was on the mild side.

The perique "feel" is strong, in that it definitely tickles the nose and the back of the throat, but the perique flavor is a simple enhancer. The virginias played the lead role to my taste and the perique and brandy (or rum or whatever) were vocal backseat drivers. Excellent body to this one and it was just a "fun" smoke, as long as I didn't overdo it, as the nicotine could be just a bit over the top in the large bowls I favor. The flavors did a lot of dancing and were brazen almost to the point of haughtiness. But it was all in fun. A complex smoke, this can also be smoked as a dessert blend to relax me after a tough day. As much as I enjoyed Barbary Coast, this variation on that theme struck me as superior, and I immediately bought a 16 oz tin. The only downside to this is that it willfully smote any attempts at DGT. It simply didn't like being extinguished and relit hours later. But that's ok - I don't often DGT.

Yes, this could be considered an aromatic by some people, and there's nothing wrong with that. Highly recommended as something different and... yes... fun!

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias are very slightly grassy with needed earthiness and some citrus and dark fruit. The dry, woody white burley provides a slight sharpness and strength in a minor role. The unsweetened black cavendish is a little noticeable, and helps smooth out the mix with some sugar. The cocoa notes are extremely mild, but I catch a hint of it here and there. There's a decent amount of plumy, raisiny, figgy and peppery perique that consistently perks up the experience from beginning to end, and is an important secondary player. The sweet rum is mildly applied, works well with the tobaccos, and doesn't tone down them down much at all. Lots of nicotine here. Won't bite or get harsh. It may need a little dry time, but leave some moisture or risk losing some of what makes this a very complex tasting product with a mild aromatic feel. Has a mostly consistent flavor. Requires a few relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. Not really an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Three and a half stars.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Haddo's Delight has ignominiously ended my long-running streak of 4 star blends from Greg L. Pease. I gave it a last, college try this morning, then I unwound with a bowl of Sextant, which is a proper booze-laced GLP blend, IMO. Adding injury to insult, HD ghosted 4 of my pipes, bad, and it stunk up my clothes; and it's not even strong!

Popping a young tin quickly tells you most of what you need to know about smoking it as all else is obscured by the rising scent of plum brandy. No figs, and no "fruit" (fruit, schmoot...), just the plum brandy. Only after a period of acclimation could I barely discern the tobacco. The lot is deep, rich and pungent, all at once, but I'm hard pressed to say particularly and exactly what I smell (apart from the brandy...). If there's anything fermented in there (apart from the brandy...), I've missed it.

HD's rough, chunky ribbons have perfect, minimal water content in the tin, and they are easy to rough up, load and light. At first, given the strong tin note (and all the talk about it), I was surprised that the flavor (apart from the plum brandy...) took so long to arrive. Initially, there is - nothing. In view of the Perique, I would not puff hard, but the flavor picked up after the first 1/4. The Cavendish is almost tasteless vs. the Perique; ditto, the burly. The VAs finally arrive past 3/4, too little and too late, for my money. The Perique is another matter. It's first on the scene (after the plum brandy...), and it quickly snowballs. Fast, and/or strong puffers will get righteously "spiced", and how, and this may well be at the root of most of the complaints about HD's excessive "strength".

Revisiting the "strength" issue, I rate HD at just over "medium". If you think HD is strong, I recommend you be careful with many Pease blends, especially Triple Play and JackKnife Plug. OTOH, if you want something that is actually (quite) strong, with great, strong tastes, try Sillem's Commodore Flake.

All in all, if you really, really like Perique, and you love plum brandy, you might possibly like Haddo's Delight. And who knows, perhaps long aging can redeem this problematic blend. I'm not holding my breath.

Update: At 15 mos. the brandy is, IMO, the best part of the smoke, lending a nice aromatic quality to the initial "flavorless" period. After that, it's still just too much Perique, and not enough else, as before. While I like Perique, this "blend" is still lost on me.

Update: after almost 4 years rest in a Mason jar HD is finally ready for smoking! If you can find some that's been so aged, and you are good with plenty of Perique, I heartily recommend you smoke it. The alcohol is gone, settled into a rich, sweet plum that imbues and enhances the generally "fruity' smoke. There is not much in the way of the usual pepper, but there are very intense, Middle Eastern dessert spices that most will want to smoke slowly and snork gently. The VAs are still mostly subsumed, and the lot is well-melded. The white Burley puts a slight, bracing, bitter edge on it that I quite like. In brief, it's still "too much Perique", but now it "works", and all's well that ends well. I'm glad I hung onto my stash.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: 3 months to rested 4 years

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Fig Newtons? Pavlovian response? After reading the above review, I don't know what old Howie's been smoking, but I don't think it was Haddo's Delight!

All joking aside, this is not bad stuff. In fact, I call it a dose of heaven on earth. I have had a love affair with Haddo's ever since it hit the market back in 2002 (I think that's when God gave Pease the ingredients for this manna). The bowl I just finished was from some 2004 vintage Haddo's and was it ever goooooood! If you have not tried this blend and enjoy complexity with strength, then you owe it to yourself to partake of this weed. It contains several varieties of strong and well aged Virginia leaf along with a nice helping of true St. James Parish Perique, white Burley and some Black Cavendish. It leaves a tobacco aftertaste in your mouth that is just this side of heaven. I prefer to smoke Haddo's in the evenings either just after a workout or just after dinner. This blend deserves attention and that's why it needs to be savored slowly (sipped rather than puffed). Truly one of the all-time great blends (IMO, of course).

idbowman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
idbowman (26)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Haddo's is another winner from the Greg Pease. One thing that intrigues me is just how much this blend changes as it has time to age. I've been lucky enough to try it fresh, aged 10 years, and a number of points in between. Regardless of the age, a few things seem consistent:

The tin note is a combination of tangy tobacco with a plum brandy topping. The combination of the topping and the perique give the tin note a little something reminiscent to chocolate covered raisins. The smoke and mouthfeel are also very consistent - heavy-bodied, quite a bit of smoke, and a fair bit of nicotine strength from the white burley and perique.

Otherwise, when it comes to describing the taste of the smoke, itself, I think it's necessary to break it down into a few different ages categories:

**1. Fresh --Fresh from the tin, Haddo's is loud, bold, and brash. The Virginia is still a little rough around the edges, but not too sharp as its nicely rounded by the cavendish. The topping is more apparent here then in older versions, and the plum/brandy taste is easily found in the first half of the bowl. I wouldn't go as far as to call it truly an "aromatic," but the younger the blend is, the closer it gets. Also of note is that the perique is very peppery at this stage, and goes a long way to clearing out the sinuses!

**2. Moderately aged (2-6 years) --The topping begins to fade into the background, but it is still detectable. With it being less dominant, you get a better sense of the VA and Burley leaf in the blend, and you taste those tobacco components more than in the fresh version. Here, something magical starts to happen between the topping and the leaf - the subdued flavor of the topping really complements the natural characteristics of the tobacco, and it's a match made in heaven. The perique at this point is still very peppery,but has begun to take on the characteristics of dark fruit.

I think this is really something special. The topping of dark fruit and sweet alcohol diminishes in its own right but goes a long to support the increasing natural sweetness and dark fruit qualities that result from the aging of the leaves in the blend. WHAT A TREAT!!!

**3. Well-Aged (7+ years) --The topping is barely detectable. In fact, in samples aged 9 and 10 years old I haven't been able to taste it all except, perhaps, in the very first lighting of the bowl. What remains is an excellent quality blend, tasting nothing but the sweetness of well aged Virginia with a bit of the burley to carry it along. The perique has now lost a lot of its peppery quality and instead lends its characteristic "dark fruit" qualities to the blend. With this much aged, it has very little in common with its fresh form, but is a top-tier VaPer in its own right.

So, to sum up, the older the blend gets the more sweetness is owed to the aged VA rather than the topping, and the more the perique offers "dark fruitiness" as opposed to peppery-ness.

For my money, Haddo's is best between 4 and 6 years old. It is at that point that you can still taste the plum brandy topping, but in a way that fully supports and complements all of the component tobaccos but doesn't stand out in the crowd. As a perique lover, this is where you find the best combination of pepper and fig/raisin, as well.

Bottom line: I call this a 3-star blend for the purposes of this site, but because age plays such a huge role, I would break it down as:

Fresh/Young: 2.5 Stars Moderately Aged: 4 Stars Well Aged: 3-3.5 Stars

Age When Smoked: Various

Similar Blends: .

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I a writing this review after finishing a 2 oz tin. My first impression was that this was a little harsh and disappointing. I smoked it in the same Peterson 999 and then switched to a GBD pot, and I will say that I acquired a taste for it. I think this blend benefits from a dedicated pipe, and this may explain part of the improved experience. For me, it smoked better in the larger bowl, and I picked up more of the flavors.

There is a subtle quality to this blend despite a solid dose of perique and a little more nicotine than most things I smoke. You can pick up the sweet Virginias and a slight topping that is hard to identify. It almost seemed like banana. It was not much like the things I usually smoke, and it made a nice change for pace. I was sorry when the tin was done, but I did not order more.

This tobacco left a somewhat pleasant ghost in the two main pipes I used with it. I would pick up just a trace of the perique and the fruit in the next couple of bowls after it was gone.

Pipe Used: Peterson 999, GBD pot

Age When Smoked: fresh from the tin

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a review of Haddo's Delight with 9 years of age on it.

Charring light is lovely and a forward sweetness hits the tongue along with the undeniable bold perique pepperiness. A tangy wine like flavor is immediately noticeable and intertwines perfectly with the sweet round bottom note. The beginning bowl shares a somewhat similar flavor profile to Peterson's Irish Oak, however Haddo's is much more refined. There seems to be some sort of topping at play here, perhaps brandy/rum. Whatever it is, I do believe that it plays an important role in enhancing my enjoyment of this blend. It deftly softens the smoke, enhances the room note and adds a buoyancy to the chutney like sweetness of the perique.

The flavors and strength build quite nicely down the bowl. By mid-bowl a slight bitterness comes forth and as the sweetness deepens a harmony is struck that both softens and elevates the spice kick like no other perique forward blend on the market with exception of perhaps Escudo. End bowl flavors are sharp yet symmetrical, intense, briny, complexly layered, voluminous and extremely satisfying.

This is a sweet, stout, spicy mixture. I would call it spirited and I am not just referring to the topping. However having sampled both fresh and aged versions, I can confidently say without any doubt that age dramatically tames the rowdy acerbity that I experienced in a fresh tin. I think a few years of age pushes Haddo's out of the "For Perique Lover's Only" realm and into that of the piper who enjoys a rich, strong smoke regardless of a mixture's components.

This is one of the few blends that has left me feeling pretty woozy. I enjoy it after a good meal and because I eat lightly during the day, I reserve this blend for the evening after dinner.

Obviously a few more tins for the cellar are required.

Pipe Used: Parker

Age When Smoked: 9

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah, Haddo's Delight.  A masterpiece.

A truly unique tobacco and among my all-time favorites.

Tin note is of liqueur topping, similar but lighter to that of Barbary Coast. A brandy note, with a touch of rum.  I find this a variation on a theme of toppings shared by Haddo's, Barbary Coast, and Cairo.  Beyond this initial note are the expected aromas of dried fruits: figs, dates, raisins. But in Haddo's the dried fruit flavors are more pronounced than the average plum-sided VaPer. After all, Haddo's Delight is not truly a VaPer, but rather a hybrid - I suggest it is the King of Hybrids.

While Haddo's ages divinely, it is smokable right out of a fresh tin. Presentation is ribbon cut, so minimal dry time is needed: maybe 10-15 minutes prior to packing. Takes a match well and, once going, requires very few relights.

The initial flavor is dominated by the topping, but this soon gives way to the most amazing VaBurPer flavors out there today. Rich, thick, creamy clouds of smoke as the bowl progresses with a delicious and copious Perique of the stewed fruit persuasion. The Virginias are soft and biteless, the burley provides a solid foundation to it all, and there is a hint of sweet, natural Cavendish making periodic appearances.

Once deep into the first third of the bowl, approaching mid-bowl, the deep, dried fruit flavors assert with an amazing interplay of slightly sweeter stewed fruit. But the sweetness here is anything but cloying. It's a deep, rich, refined and natural sweetness, held in check by a touch of burley and an array of Virginias that simply could not be more smooth-smoking.

After mid-bowl, an amazing transformation takes place: the plummy-side Perique flavors begin to yield to a more savory note. The dried fruits are still there in the background, but the peppery side of Perique shows its face.  This is the real treat for Perique lovers as this is the only blend I'm aware of that demonstrates both sides of glorious Perique tobacco - and shows each side in all its glory.

To my palette, this blend is a symphony of flavors masterfully blended: balanced, nuanced, deep, contemplative, and simply unique even among celebrated tobacco blends. I simply cannot say enough good about this blend - and I'm not the only one: odes, websites, and many a pipe has been dedicated to it. Very creamy mouthfeel and a surprisingly cool burn when sipped.

I can't give five stars, so I'm going with four.

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Barbary Coast (Original Mixtures), G. L. Pease - Cairo (Original Mixtures).

The only way I can somewhat enjoy this blend is to sip it slowly. That goes against my nature and ruins the experience. Gets harsh and nasty if I smoke it like I usually do. Having said that, I can see where others may like it. Somewhat recommended.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: Somewhat random cut, consisting of about 60% reddish leaf, and 40% darker. I could not separate the perique from the cavendish by eye.

Aroma: A definite perique presence tingles the nostrils, adding a slightly sour note to the sweet and earthy aroma of the blend. There seems to be an additive, or special process here.

Packing: Packs easily into small and medium size pipes. With this much perique present, I did not try any large bowls. I like perique, but prefer moderate amounts.

Lighting: Lighting is about average for a va/perique blend, neither too slow to cach, nor too quick.

Initial flavor: Wow, it?s in you face. Big red virginia flavor, nutty cavendish background, and the raisin/fig taste of perique. There is something slightly sweet in the Cavendish, but it?s identity is elusive.

Mid-bowl: Everything settles down into a lovely melange with layers of taste. There is a substantial fullness to the smoke with just a touch of tingle. Puffing too fast increases the tingle, so slow puffing is definitely in order. Moisture is sometimes present, but not excessive.

Finish: Like many perique blends, this finishes a little bit stronger than the middle but not unpleasantly so. Ash is dark gray, and there is little or no dottle.

Summary: An excellent blend for the va/perique fanatics, and I will return to it periodically. It may be too rich for an all-day smoke, but one bowl satisfies your craving for quite a while. Wonderfully rewarding for evening relaxation.

Particularly liked: Richness and flavor.

Particularly disliked: For me, just a bit too much perique. YMMV

PuffPuffLive Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffLive (17)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I wanted to love this blend, but it was a little too much for me.

The topping is very fruity and alchololic, like rum soaked prunes. This flavor, combined with the heavy dose of figgy Perique, resulted in a very dark, spicy, and one-dimensional smoke.

I love what artisional blenders like Mr. Pease are doing to expand the enjoyment of our hobby, but this blend was just too Perique and booze forward for my tastebuds. Perhaps it will settle down a bit with age (I refuse to give up on a tin).

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: None.

Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

G. L. Pease - Haddo's Delight (Original Mixtures).

The tin-note's lovely: alcoholic, fruity, and sprightly. Although it's badged ribbon there are a few different shapes and cuts in there, and sadly this includes a couple of twigs. The appearance suggests a lesser amount of Black Cavendish in comparison to the other varieties of tobacco.

I note how the popular opinion on the added flavour is mild, but I can't say the same. It's not overwhelming, but to my tastes it's quite strong: the combination of alcohol and fruit makes for a sweet liqueur type flavour. The main tobacco taste is unequivocally the Perique, and this is reflected in the quantity of nicotine: medium to strong. I struggle to get much flavour from the others, they have quite a formidable force to contend with regarding the Perique. The burn from Haddo's Delight is steady, and it has a medium speed.

I'll finish on the point I don't like: it bites.

This would be a good blend for those who like aromatics but get fed up with the constant weakness and want more N. But I can't say I'm mad about it, I'm not saying it's bad, but it doesn't earn any more than two stars from me.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Chacom

Age When Smoked: Six months

Purchased From: Gauntleys Nottingham

OziFlyer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OziFlyer (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I am fairly new to pipe smoking, so I won't embarass myself or insult others by trying to adequately describe this tobacco. Suffice to say after trying a few of Mr. Pease's offerings, he may well be a genius. This one makes me wonder if he is master of some black art to which few are privy. It's wonderfully interesting.

Pipe Used: Weber bulldog

BurghBelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurghBelly (6)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After hemming and hawing for a while I cracked open an aged (5 yrs.) tin of this and I couldn't be happier. Flavorful, well burning, good strength, lovely complexity, not too much, not too little.

The plum smell is there at the beginning and calms down as the Perique takes over but never enough to overswhelm it's basic flavors. "Stout" is a nice adjective -- you've been enjoying a pipe, no doubt about that with the room note and taste, and are completely satisfied after a good size bowl. I've been smoking this in a bigger Radice, and love it at nightwhen the world calms down.

Pipe Used: Radice Bent

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant

BOLD, almost intense, full-flavored tobacco with strong Perique presence—bittersweet, dark and peppery with a little fruit and some nuts, and the suggestion of some spirit sauce.

The flavor is very complex displaying a broad spectrum of variations. STRONG—plenty of nicotine—as strong as anything sourced on this side of the pond.

Haddo’s Delight is UNIQUE—there’s nothing else quite like it, though there is a bit of a country cousin relationship with Barbary Coast!

Similar Blends: Nothing.

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

What moniker said below. I'll add that the room note is really very enjoyable, everyone liked it. But I kept tasting this constantly for four days after smoking it. I give it one star for my personal enjoyment. Others really, really like this tobacco; since it's GL Pease it's no doubt 4 stars for quality. But if you're not a fan of perique to the point of fantasizing about smoking it straight, I'd skip this one.

Jared Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jared (6)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Haddo's Delight is a sweet, caleidoscopic, spicy blend. The Louisiana Perique is abundant, generous with beautiful taste of dried fruits. Liquorous aroma is intense but noble. Satisfaction is great. I consider it a meditation tobacco, esoteric in a sense.

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I am not a fan of Pease's virginia blends in general, but this one is quite good. A dash of added flavour adds a complexity and richness his other blends tend to lack. There are levels though, this is not up there with Peterson and Gawith; it is too thin flavourwise and leaves an ashy note on my tongue. Want something light and salty that is far from full, by all means try this. I can't see myself revisiting it though.

Taste: First light reveals a slight sweetness from the virginia just below the flavour of the topping; mainly alcohol (more rum than brandy and not so much of the plum). The perique grows more noticeable towards the end half of the bowl, as the spiciness continuously grows and intensifies. The topping strikes me as a tad bit peculiar, as it really is quite loud and present throughout the entire smoke. I am certain that it is the alcohol that plays the leading role, but it does not taste like any brandy or rum that I have ever imbibed - rather it reminds me of a crossover between the brandy in Barbary coast and the miscellaneous topping (I really have no idea what it is comprised of) of Samuel Gawith's Kendal Cream. Does it work? Well, I think so - it is unique and adds a character to the leaf in the blend. Now let us talk about the mentioned leaf. It is my opinion and belief that Mr Pease and the gentlemen at Cornell & Diehl have poor virginias to play with; their virginia blends always come across as a bit bland to me (whereas I love their burley ones). This actually plays in favour of the topping, as it is allowed to be dominant and take charge without me grieving the masking of the natural virginia taste. Now, though the topping is rather forward this is not an aromatic like, say, Autumn Evening by C&D - there is a balance that allows for a prominently salty side of the tobacco to play alongside the added flavours. They kind of have each other's backs. I still find the overall sensation somewhat thin, underwhelming, as it is quite cautious and never really grabs a hold of me.

Mechanics: Rough cut, a bit moist out of the tin, easy to pack. No bite, medium nicotine. Burns just fine but a moist smoke that will require some pipe cleaners.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Pease virginias overall, no surprises there..

Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

I was surprised how much I disliked this one. Surprised because it was one of those that I was sure I would enjoy. I tend to enjoy the VaBurPer blends and I also love GL Pease Blends. This was not what I expected. It is like smoking an aromatic Va Per. I don't know what the topping would be, but it felt like someone soaked this quality leaf in a cheap grape soda.

It was horrible and a one star to my personal tastes, but as I do know a few people who enjoy it and it was possible to finish a bowl of this in a cob or a Meerschaum, I will give it two stars. It also packs a decent nic hit if you can bear to get through a bowl.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

There’s a new bricks and mortar tobacconist in town and it carries a nice collection of tinned tobacco, or at least, its purveyor had sense enough not to mimic its competition. Anyhow it carries a reasonable selection of G.L. Pease tobaccos. So I gave Haddo’s Delight a whirl. I fancy most of its component tobaccos and its noted strength piqued my interest too. Is it a VaPer or not? For me it’s more than a VaPer, and yet I can’t effectively describe it.

Now I’m no tobacconist or blender but I’ve smoked long enough to recognize certain traits of a blend, so I don’t suggest that I’m the equivalent of an oenophile of tobacco. It’s my opinion that Mr. Pease went whole hog on casing and topping the tobaccos, yet with great finesse and forethought. Everything just clicks in this creation. For example, I can’t say exactly what the unflavored Black Cavendish does for this blend, but it is a mighty fine smoke. In fact, I’ve been smoking this tobacco at anytime time of the day, it’s that versatile. The tin note has a scent of some spirit, say a fruit brandy. I presently have a sweetness remaining on my palate that I recognize as being influenced by the Perique, from my lunch smoke. With some VaPers I can get bored with the flavor by the sharp Virginian brightness and flimsy strength, but not Haddo. Maybe the Burley has some play there- Pease knows. By summer’s heat I can’t smoke English or Oriental blends, yet I still favor fullness of a smoke just minus the Latakia and Orientals. Did I tell you the stuff just smokes effortlessly? I’m quite tolerant of nicotine, so I don’t find it head jarring. This blend seems like it could have been in production for a hundred years, so keenly blended it has appeal to so many folks and maybe even generations.

Pipe Used: V&N

Lyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lyle (30)
Very Strong Strong Medium Pleasant

This review is based on smoking two 50g tins of this tobacco. One fresh and one aged for a year.

The tin aroma is fruity and boozy. A straight-forward smoke (unlike other GLP blends), but with a very noticeable nicotine content. There is a consistent "spicy" flavor, which may be from the Perique or from the strength of the blend.

I really liked this blend fresh, and was excited to return to it after aging it for a year. My expectations were sky high, and this fell a little short. However, this is an excellent and unique blend that I will continue to cellar and experience as it ages.

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

LSU Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSU Tiger (13)

I recieved a tin of Haddo's as a gift from a friend. Aged about three years, the smell of figs, plums, and rasins greeted me upon opening.

Packing was easy, a charring light, and off to the races. Flavor starts light, but increases as the smoke continues. The perique makes it presence known with a spicey sweetness throughout the bowl. I can't help but think of the taste of fruit cake or spice cake.

Ageing does wonders for this blend. I have a tin dated 2009 that should be a sublime.

While Haddo's isn't a daily smoke for me, I do keep it on hand at all times.

This is a nice blend as a change of pace. The topping is whiskey/rum , I believe, and it is done well. It gives the blend a nice scent and a sour fruity flavor along with the Perique. I really can't believe this doesn't contain Latakia, because to me , it is smokey. The burley stays in the background.

Just a quick comparison of Pease Blends: Haddo's Delight- whiskey topped , light smokey flavor, fruity (2), Chelsea Morning- Light latakia, fruity (4), Meridian- Medium Latakia, creamy bacon Oriental flavor (4), Lagonda-Medium Latakia- Campfire flavor, light Oriental (2), Quite Nights- Heavy Latakia- Campfire flavor with Creamy Orientals (4), Odyssey- Heavy Latakia- Campfire flavor dominates , light orientals(3), I would say all of these are 3 & 4 star blends, the numbers (#'s)after the blend indicate my personal preferences when compared to "only" these 6 blends

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: May, 2010

Appearance: Mostly light- to medium-brown bits with a good amount of black chunks, presumably the Cavendish and Perique.

Tin Aroma: My first impression was of chocolate-covered cherries. Then the acidic tinge of some kind of topping, that chemically aroma that normally turns me off.

Flavor: Sometimes I taste the sea – the west coast…that cold, salty, briny air washing over the tidepools. I certainly taste the Perique, and feel it at the back of my throat although it's not nearly as strong as I had expected. The topping does affect the taste, at least for the first half of the bowl, and I don't really like it. The burley comes through much more than the tin description hints (“a little air- cured white burley ribbon…”). There seems to be enough in there to affect the flavor quite strongly, too much in fact for my taste as that ashy flavor seems to become too prominent at times.

During the second half of the bowl all the ingredients seem to meld and it becomes a much better smoke. The topping never really disappears but it becomes much less noticeable, and the richness from the Virginias and perique make for a very nice flavor. But I'm afraid it's too little too late. In every pipe, it takes a half-bowl to get to the good part, and even then it's just good, not great. Would love to try this blend exactly as it is but without the topping.

I am not an aromatic fan, and I just have to categorize this as an aromatic, at least as close as the Pease lineup gets to aromatic (after Barbary Coast that is). Can't really muster more than two stars for this one. No reason for me to buy more with all the other excellent blends out there, including many of Greg's.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Haddo's, much like Barbary Coast is a blend that I really wanted to like. Fantastic aroma from the tin, regardless of what others have said there simply must be some sort of alcoholic beverage infusion here. That aroma can not be achieved from Perique alone. But unlike B.C. I have found a way to thoroughly enjoy Haddo's Delight. Unlike B.C., Haddo's takes to the match very nicely but my first few bowls were harsh and hot. I tried a Radice twin bore pipe, and still harsh and hot, but far from veil as one of our brothers has noted. Then I pulled out an old Peterson churchwarden and ah ya, I mean oooo ya, thats the ticket! It all came together, the sweet, the spicy, the pungent flavors, cocoa, figs, raisins, it all came together just as advertised. The harshness turned into fullness and the heat turned into flavor. Thanks to the Churchwarden.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Where I have chosen to live even pipe cleaners are difficult to find, and good tobaccos almost impossible. But the reviews on this site had piqued my curiosity, and I wondered if the blend would be a hate-it or love-it tobacco like Erinmore Flake or Royal Yacht. It took a major effort and considerable patience to acquire a quantity of Haddo`s Delight.

On opening the tin the aroma reminded me strongly of Momoyama and Dunbar. There was the same winey and fruity redolence which I rather like. In the pipe HD showed impeccable manners. It is easy to fill, burns sweetly and consistently without gurgle or bite. The taste is consistent with the tin aroma, and I can best describe it as Dunbar Plus.

Until now Dunbar was my preferred virginia-perique mixture. HD is a trifle more intense, and I rather think I like the extra intensity. Strongly recommended, especially to those who have enjoyed Momoyama or Dunbar.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The is a mixture ranging the full spectrum of brown comprised of short ribbon cuts, rubbed out Va. flake, dark brown pieces of black cavendish and bits of Perique. The aroma is as the manufacturer describes. I detect a cocoa or even a chocolatey essence, fermented apples and a faint figginess and the esters of some sort of exotic liquor. The blend is not too moist, but it is a tad fluffy to pack. I was aware that I should give the ribbon a firm pack, but was concerned about the chunks of Va. and cavendish plugging up the works. It took two charring lights and tamps and a finishing light and it was on its way. The initial taste sensation is of unsweetened black cavendish ala Cornell & Diehl Blockade Runner which I, on rare occasions, smoke straight and which can be relentlessly astringent. Almost immediately it settles down to reveal the sweetness of the Virginias riding lightly atop the black cavendish. And then the Perique emerges, but very judiciously. To my taste the black cavendish dominates with the Virginia and Perique offering subtlety, sweetness and nuance. I sense that the burley must be there to provide body to the blend, but I cannot taste burley. This a smooth smoke with not even a hint of a bite. The flavor is very full so that I want to take the smoke in small sips. I am aware of an expert blender putting this mixture together. All the elements are in harmony. There are no artificial flavors just a fabulous unsweetened black cavendish, lightly sweet Virginia and the spicey playfulness of Perique. And of course the burley must provide a certain element too subtle for the inexpert like myself to detect. A wonderful treatment of straight tobacco flavors. Highly recommended. Paddy.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

This is an old favorite. It helped forge the path that I am on now by making me realize the possibilities outside the realm of Latakia mixtures. It took some time to understand and can actually be unforgiving if smoked in the wrong pipe but if you are patient and find a pipe that smoke Haddo's well you will be greatly rewarded. It's a very complex smoke so I like to smoke this one when I have nothing else to do but concentrate on the plethora of woven flavors that delight my palate. I haven't smoked this mixture in years but I have a large tin in my cellar and I'll be popping the lid when it reaches 10 years of age. I've had this one fresh and with several years of age one it and it smokes great either way but I do prefer at least 6 months in the tin to let the flavors marry a bit before I lock and load. The room note is nice but non-smokers will probably still give ya the stink eye if you're smoking this near them. The nicotine is in the "just right" park (medium) and makes for a good, satisfying smoke any time of the day but I usually enjoy it most on a nice and cool evening. This one never fails to take me to that special place. One of my favorite Pease mixtures, no doubt.

Essential.

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (32)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Yo-ho, this was an interesting smoke, to say the least. Great "stewed" aroma upon opening the tin. I needed to dry out the tobacco a bit before lighting, but once I got started it was a taste extravaganza. If I smoked this stuff too fast, it got to me, and upset my stomach. Fast puffers beware....this may not allow you to stoke the fire as much as you like....that is, unless you WANT to see little green men in spacesuits. It's strong...at least for me, and I will not smoke it regularly, BUT I will always have some stored away somewhere for that special occasion

Pipe Used: Briar, meerschaum, clay, cob

Age When Smoked: About four years old

Purchased From: Jon's Pipe Shop

Similar Blends: Haunted Bookshop.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Very Strong Strong Full Pleasant

Opened this tin tonight after a year. Upon smelling its contents I wondered what I got myself into - thought it smelled overpowering and nasty. But, I didn't give up on it and couldn't resist smelling the open tin over and over. My initial thoughts completely changed. The more I smelled it, the better it got and the more I appreciated this unique blend. I was now curious on what experience was to come. I must say, upon lighting my pipe I again didn't know how to process the experience. This blend is totally different from any I've had before. Then as I was putting down a healthy bowl, this blend was like a roller coaster of experiences - the brandy, to a slight sweetness, to almost a cigar effect at one point. I didn't know where the hell I was on my pipe smoking adventure. Very intriguing and quite cool as I tried to figure this one out. This blend is truly unique and worth the experience alone. I am sure the more seasoned pipers know or can figure out where this one is going. I look forward to revisiting it again another day to do so myself. This isn't an every day smoke for me. And, it's quite strong and put me on my heels a bit. Truly a unique blend with some varyng qualities. Challenging! Hats off for such an unusual blend. Everyone should experience a tin of this at least once.

Pipe Used: La Strada Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 1 yr

Purchased From: P&C

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

Haddo's is a milder version of tobacco remake. I cellar this and the longer it sits the better it gets. My oldest tastes the best. The newest just smells. I smoke this in mer. Lined pipes it saves the harsh after smell and pipe re sweetening that seems to come from this blend. It needs to dry and breath for a good smoke. I keep it out for at least 4 hours. It ruined one of my clay pipes so I have two peterson pipes just for this. This chars fast and gives off a very strong room note. Everyone will know what you have. I have brought it to my pipe club and it had very mixed reviews. It smokes steady and a little hot. Adding some extra Virgina will tone this down. Use extra pipe cleaners here. It leaves black soup in the pipe. Taste really does not hit until 10 minutes in. In all I hope in five years this really comes into its own.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: bulk in jars over 5 years

Purchased From: LA -CA

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was a blend I had wanted to try for some time. It wasn't at all what I expected, but became everything I wanted.

When I first popped the tin I dug my beak in and buried it in the tobacco. I thought of honeydew melon immediately. The colors were mostly dark brown, some terra cotta red accompanied by some strips of black (cavendish). Each time I opened the tin that melon scent turned more into a bread and raisin.

I can't help but feel this is the reverse of most multiple course meals. With the dessert (sweet plum/sweet bread notes) coming first and the end is where we get into the meat of the blend. Despite being heralded as a VaPer, it is very much a VaBurPer.

The first 1/4 or so is sweet and soft having the Virginias, Cavendish and topping play the main roles while the Perique adds a slight zest. The Burley follows suit and mosts supports the VA while adding a slight amount of rustic baked bread and a hint of earthiness.

Further down the bowl the sweet VAs, Cavendish and topping begin to dwindle opening the curtains for the Perique and Burley. An almost complete 180 is made and what was soft sweet becomes piquant tangy, what was subtle becomes robust and assertive. The latter half of the bowl reminds me of a leveled out Burley Flake #3 with a very slight topping. It's delicious.

In my experience, this blends needs at least an inch and a half of bowl to slowly work it's magic. Too small of a bowl and it doesn't get the proper time to develop and has some acrid moments. Again, for pure VaPer lovers this probably won't satisfy; if not potentially repulse. After all, this is made with C&D tobaccos and it's extremely apparent in the last stanza. But anyone who enjoys their burleys and is looking for a bit of a zesty kick with some sweetness on top, this is the one.

I found this most enjoyable in my briars over meers and mortas. Well done Mr. Pease.

Pipe Used: Briars, Meers and Mortas

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (23)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Oliver Haddo! The Great Wild Caricature of Aleister Crowley, makes an appearance in name only on the tin label of Pease's Haddo's Delight. Wow, To Mega Therion would've been proud. (Probably) Crowley was known to have smoked rum soaked Perique. I would assume that the rum tamed the Beast, so to speak, Or there was a blend from a local blender that that soaked Virginia, burley and a High percentage of Perique in rum. I'm going with the latter, as Crowley never stated that he blended his own tobacco. I've never come across it in his Magickal Diaries.

The tin note of Haddo's Delight is Chocolate covered Cherries. Exquisite! The heavy handed perique really comes out in delicate prunes and fig. I have been on the fence of whether it is topped with brandy or rum. I decided when I opened a tin of Barbary Coast, that Haddos was topped with brandy. Now Im not to sure. It may indeed be rum.

The perique is strong and spicey with hints of chocolate and dried fruits. The cavendish? It may mellow the mixture a bit. The Virginias and burley really marry well with the perique, making for a fine stout smoke. Very complex blend that changes throughout the bowl.

This Beast is a Va/per lovers dream come true.

:Update: While dropping in on a popular pipe forum, I had a chance to ask Pease what topping is used on Haddo's Delight. His answer...dark rum. So no plum brandy involved with this blend. The tobaccos and rum are giving you that lovely smell. Recently I opened a 3 1/2 year old tin, I thought I discovered some mold. With close inspection I discovered the shinny crystals of plume. This blend ages exceptionally well, notes of raisins and figs, stewed fruits and rum. Yum. The cavendish adds a brown sugar note that throws this tobacco over the top. Usually the cavendish shows itself around mid bowl. I don't know if age has brought out the cavendish or it's a more experienced palate. Probably both. Each bowl is different, because you get more perique sometimes and when it's less perique it falls a bit flat. The perique is the star of the show, so finding the correct pack is important. That's been my experience with this Beast. Others may not find this to be the case, and tins may vary. We are taking small batch pipe tobacco, here. I'm interested in tasting a 5 and 10 year old tin now.

Love is the Law, Love under Will,

Perdurabo

Pipe Used: Various Briars

Age When Smoked: Gone

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Barbary Coast and Old Joe Krantz.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I got this bc they were out of exhausted rooster. I thought the sounded interesting and I wanted to expand my experience with va/per blends. Having my first blend of such being deluxe navy rolls I believe I may have have spoiled my palate. I do like this tobacco, and would recommend it to a friend or other. My time with this blend has been an unexpected joy, and something of a let down at the same time. Overall it has been a learning experience that has broadened my view of the range of these blends.

In the tin it looks fairly normal. With exception of the varied colors, it could be a drugstore or house blend you get from any where. I am partial to the dunhill line, and the standard of presentation they maintain is significantly higher than a lot of other blenders. You can definitely see the Virginias in some shades of gold and mustard hues. Some cavendish in various finishes of black. Some flat, some shiny. The tin note to me is a full slap in the mouth of rum raisin ice cream. Has a strong reminiscence of liquor and maybe plums. Like a traditional Xmas pudding. (My wife is Irish, I've eaten the flaming treat a few times). The smell from the tin may be a bit of a shock to newer smokers, as it not much like tobacco is expected to smell.

This bland packs and lights like a drugstore blend. Easy as pie that is. The charring light is quite sweet to me. As well as the first third of the bowl. I generally type as I write and my pipe goes out on me. I'm smoking this now, and have just now noticed the sweetness dies down on the relight. I may double char this next time to see if it works better for my tastes. It is much better now to me. Hmm, took a good 12 pipes of this to notice that...

Having just hit the halfway point now, it is behaving much as it normally does. The slight gurgle has died down and the smoke is more of a dark sweet like extra dark chocolate with a touch of raisins. Slightly sour. Delicious however burning very cool with a silky mouth feel to the smoke.

Moving into the last quarter it is starting to pick up the pace. Slight nic buzz starting to hit me, so I would say it is a solid medium to full strength blend. It's leaving a pleasant taste on my lips and teeth. I think this goes well after dinner, but maybe not if I've had dessert.

It seems to have reached its end now. Bit of a sizzle as a drop of juice hits the cherry in the bottom of my peterson 01. Not worth the risk a bite so I'm going to let it go. That being said, very little dottle left. I think the sizzle may have killed the last of the bowl. I would recommend keeping a pipe cleaner nearby if you lean towards faster smoking, as I can gurgle in the pipe. The nic content may be a bit much for anyone sensitive to high nicotine content. Otherwise it is very good in its own right. I don't think I will buy more more after this tin is finished, as I would like to try more of the gl pease line. And I may let the remainder set awhile longer to see how it developed with a bit of time. Try this one if you're looking for a different experience from perique, it can surprise you. Happy puffing

Pipe Used: MM diplomat, Peterson 01

Age When Smoked: New, left to set a few weeks

Purchased From: Just for him

Similar Blends: Old Toby middle earth series from just for him..

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This has moved into my top 3 Va/Pers. This is an extremely satisfying and tasty smoke. I love the plum and spice in the tin aroma. It packs and lights perfectly. Just enough perique and not overbearing. I usually would not prefer this much flavoring in a tobacco, but with this one it works. This is in my permanent rotation and I love it in the morning when I can sneak it in. Packs a punch, but again its not too heavy handed. If you love Va/Pers and you are looking to expand your rotation, definitely give this one a try.

Age When Smoked: <1 yr

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Having read somewhere that Aleister Crowley smoked rum soaked but otherwise pure perique and given it a go with some intriguing results (herein my interest in Crowley ends), I thought I would give this offering that is named after a character inspired by him a go.

The tin aroma reminds me somewhat of fresh Carter Hall, a little sweet perhaps with hints of something from a tin of Quality Street, only a lot nicer. The colours of the tobacco are rich, as with all GL Pease's offerings, with a lot of rich earthy browns and some darker ribbons included. It was quite moist but this doesn't effect the lighting any but the length of some of the ribbons makes them clump up a little making the packing a little but not too tricky. The smoke itself is delightful as those sweet Carter Hall like flavours come through. As it progresses, the perique begins to rears it's head and, while not overwhelming, adds a dark but pleasurable addition to the smoke as the tobacco underneath begin to shine. There is a bit of roughness at the bottom of the bowl though, even when smoked gently which takes the shine off it a little. Also, I found this to be tremendously strong, certainly more than any other Pease tobacco that I've smoked. Thankfully, I've smoked this in a pipe with quite a small bowl so it does not become an issue.

This is a tremendously gorgeous pipe tobacco that I'd be happy to smoke more regularly save for the roughness and the strength, and possibly the price too. Maybe it improves with aging - sadly I am smoking it young as I don't have the wallet to cellar to any great length - but as it stands, this tobacco is pure concentrated evil and I swear the most miniscule ribbon could turn us all into hermit crabs. I cannot, in all good consciousness, give this four stars but it is so darned close but, in the meantime, I'd give it 3.75. The one thing about evil when it does it's job properly though, it's so darn tempting.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Belami Sablee 110

Age When Smoked: 3 Months

Purchased From: Gauntley's of Nottingham

Latakiafile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakiafile (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This Va/Per blend from Mr. Pease is fantastic. When I opened the tin I was greeted by something more than what i've come to expect from a Va/Per blend it was very close to Dunhill NightCap when I opened the tin so this was an unexpected suprise. Very smooth and satisfying the the Virginias came through first with the nuttiness of the burleys making themselves known followed by the Perique with the Black Cavendish smoothing things out. This is a VERY good offering from Mr. Pease, One which is now a member of my regular rotation and therefore higly recommended.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not really my cup of tea. I like my blends with more recognizable nuances. This is a whole different monster and its also kind of a "grandpa smoke". I don't like it.

Update: I picked this up again after a month and it's more tolerable now that the moisture level has waned. It does smoke nice. There is a load of perique in this guy, which is not for everybody, but the fruity notes work OK (is that the perique?). One could envision Bilbo Baggins puffing on this in his churchwarden, but I find it a bit too odd. Upgrade to two stars.

11/22/12 Update: I recently ran into and smoked a five year old tin of HD. My initial impressions were not so favorable, as you can see. Now, I can hardly say enough good things. It's WAAAAY different than before. Five years of aging on this perique laden beaut takes this blend to a different level. When fresh, the chaos is at volume ten. Now, I have the ability to "see" what is going on. It is full in taste, has the strength of an pit bull and is unlike anything else I have ever smoked...in a class of it's own. I know and have read that Pease designs his blends with aging in mind so buy his blends with years on them, if you can. Four stars.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (30)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

A very rich flavor. Volumous smoke and pleasant room note. . It's the most interesting Virginia / Perique out there and hands down worth a try.

The Perique is peppery from the beginning and the sweet virginias add everything else.

Many say it knocks them down from nicotine, but I suspect it's really more the perique doing the job. This blend is quite perique heavy. I don't find it to be all that powerful in terms of nicotine kick, but for those not used to heavy perique, you are going to feel a bit swimmy!

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I reluctantly sampled Haddo's on the advice of a fellow pipe-smoker. I didn't think that this tobacco would really have anything that interested me other than the Virginia and Perique component. My preconceptions were thrown for a loop when I tried it. It was much smoother and tastier than expected.

Yes, the Rum casing is a bit over the top, both in the tin note and in the smoke, but Haddo's is a very fine tobacco with a lot of flavor. The overpowering rum flavor dissipates after a few days and becomes a bit more tame, anyway. It's not an everyday smoke, but when I want something that's a little different, this is it.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have to admit, when I tried this at first, I just did not like this blend. It tasted green and overbearing to me and as I did not want to slam Greg, I just resealed it and put it to the back of my opened tins chest. It has been many months now, and I mved into a new home recently and I found this blend and thought what the heck, I will give it another try. Oh what a difference a few months makes! I am finding I like it a lot now. I think this blend just needs more time to mature to become a nice blend.

In the tin, it is very peat like and tart smelling, composed of the spectrum of colors and in a ribbon/rough cut. It is very easy to load in the pipe and quite easy to lite. Once lit it burns nice and slow and emits a strong, sharp room note very typical of VaPers. When my wife complained about the aroma, I knew I was going to enjoy it this time. I love perique and this contains a great deal of it. The mixture of Virginias along with the perique make for a not so subtle, rich, creamy, spicy smoke. It has non of the haylike sweetness of a lot of VA based blends, it is deep and flavorful and very rich in taste right from the start, yet it produces no tongue bite at all. It smokes great with coffee or a beer and could easily be an all day blend for those that like strong tobaccos. It burns down to a dark grey ash with a little dottle at the bottom of the pipe. I have smoked 10 bowls of this in two days now and the more i smoke it the more I am liking it, in fact I just ordered another 8oz tin of it. So I have moved from unimpressed to recommending it now. For perique lovers, it is a must try.

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (29)
Very Strong Very Mild Very Full Strong

This blend presents me with a serious problem... I enjoy the flavor immensely, but find this stuff to be so damned strong!

The tin aroma is striking... it's got all the figgy, raisin-y goodness of Perique... on steroids. It smells so concentrated, almost like candy. Amarena cherries come to mind - which perhaps gives credence to the notion that there IS an alcoholic topping on this (the so-called "exclusive process"). But if this is a topping, then I really don't mind... it complimented the blend nicely without overshadowing the individual characters of the constituent tobaccoes.

This gives rise to what I truly enjoy about HD. This blend let's all of it's players be heard clearly and in harmony. Another Perique blend I enjoy, MacBaren Arcadian Perique, is so dense in its flavor. It's like the Wagner of tobacco... complex, blustery, great thick walls of texture. Haddo's is more like Bach - equally complex but in a more orderly, methodical way. The parts were all heard clearly and in good measure. I enjoy both, but in entirely different ways.

The downside for me is the wretched nicotine buzz I got after smoking this. I was thoroughly dizzy... much like when I smoke an entire, high-quality cigar. In fact, the pungent, rich flavors of this tobacco made me feel like I was smoking a cigar - not literally, but the overall experience was similar.

Sadly, I won't be indulging in HD regularly, I guess I'm a nicotine wimp. But I do like it. Anyone looking for a unique and challenging tobacco should try this.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes. It is good! This is an excellent tobacco blend that provides nothing but straight-up tobacco flavor with a good burning quality. Perique is dominant initially but later, the tobaccos meld into an enjoyable smoking experience.

This concoction provided plenty of Vitamin N...something I seek out in pipe tobaccos. Not really fond of the wimpy blends but indulge in them on occasion.

I'll be smoking this again some day. Sampled in a size two Dunhill Shell Briar.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)

=UPDATE #3= I must have had a bad batch or bad tin for my first initial review (If it didn't tell you how disappointed I was then I'm telling you now). A friend of mine allowed me to sample a tin of this stuff that he had just purchased. I figured, let's give it another shot. Upon opening the tin it smelled of the normal VaPER scents but also of cheese, CHEESE...not in a bad way. It smoked with the same flavors that one could detect with the nose, plum, fig, hay, and then of course cheese (a rich goat cheese I might add). It was surprisingly delightful. Consequently, a different buddy of mine that was smoking with us also had a tin which smelled the same as the tin I was now smoking from. It does seem my tin did not share the same qualities as theirs.

I'll be sampling a few other Pease blends in the future, but will make sure to allow them to age a bit.

OLDI was truly disappointed that I didn't find something more appealing here. Reading reviews and descriptions of this tobacco I thought for sure I was going to love this.

I picked up a tin. Upon opening it the smell of raisins and sweetness filled my nose. I was excited. Lit up a bowl and nothing... flat... No taste, except, and sorry to use the term, smoke. I thought I was smoking cardboard with pieces of tire chips in it. I've tried it a few times with the same result. Maybe I got a bad tin of it?? Maybe I need to let it sit.

I did and it was better, but the UPDATE 3 review says it all. This blend is one I enjoy quite a bit with friends.

Pipe Used: Bent Billard, Dublin, Egg, Acorn

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-5 years

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

For the longest time I stayed away from tobaccos blended by the Dark Lord. I would never argue that he's not an expert of tobaccos, but his blends, most being latakia/oriental blends, didn't appeal to me. Then along came Cumberland, which I simply had to try. It was so good that I decided to re-examine his other offerings. For me, Haddo's Delight, a Virginia/perique, was the obvious place to start.

The blend is made of several Virginias and what Pease describes as a "generous measure" of perique, with unflavored black cavendish and white burley added to round out the flavor and add more strength. This is a beautiful tobacco to look at, with rich, deep golds, browns, and black. I popped open my tin of it as soon as I got to the car, and treated my nose to the rich aroma of fresh coffee and raisins. My daughters were in the car with me, and both remarked that, unlike most tobacos, the tin aroma of Haddo's Delight was pleasant, and both remarked on the smell of raisins. One mentioned Haroset, a fruity Jewish Passover treat. The moisture level of the tobacco is, to my smoking technique, just right. When you buy a Pease tobacco you pay for tobacco rather than added moisture.

Arriving home, I immediately loaded my first bowl of the blend, then set fire to it. The burst of flavor was wonderful, and very smooth. Tamped down, relit, and off I went, into what I can only describe as an extremely pleasant smoking experience. Often, perique blends hit my tongue like wolverines, but Haddo's Delight provides the deep and spicy richness of perique without the bite. The burley and cavendish bring some nice richness and body to the blend, but neither overwhelm the tang and taste of the perique. The Virginia provides a nice sweetness, but is tempered by the other tobaccos. The taste left in my mouth after finishing the smoke, though, is a pleasant sweetness, like a memory of a sunny afternoon. The word "complex" comes to mind to describe this blend; it's strong without being dizzying, full of flavor without being overpowering. Deeper into the bowl, especially the last third of it, the flavor and characteristics of the blend change subtly, taking on a bit more of an earthiness. But the tobacco is never unsettling, never bitter or rancid. There are more undertones than overtones, nuttiness, tang, sweet, fruity, rich.

I so enjoyed the first bowl of Haddo's Delight that I immediately loaded a second. It's very rare that I don't wait a couple of hours after a smoke to have another, but couldn't resist. I've interspersed bowls of it since, between bowls of favorite Virginias, Cumberland, and another Virginia/perique blend. Each time I come back to Haddo's I receive the same pleasant surprise, the same, well, delight.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have strongly desidered to taste Haddo's, believe me beloved Fellows of the TR Community!

Oh, dear Lord, Haddo's is really weird smelling in the tin. My first thought was that the weed has been literally soaked into a liquor (I know it's rhum, but regarding me it could even be cognac...).

Haddo's lights and burns easy. The liquor topping affects a bit heavily the first third of the bowl. The smoke starts mild, sweet and liqueurish. A VaB thing, at this stage I'm not able to detect any of the Perique which should be added in "generous" measure. Smooth, very smooth indeed. Reaching the second third, the topping has gradully disappeared, leaving room to strenght and body. At this stage I clearly feel the VaBPer combination, and should start slowing down my sipping speed to avoid a slightly ashy feeling. Notes of stewed fruits but not much pepper... The last third is where the smoke is going be masculine, still sweet but earthy, of ripe fruits, traces of smokiness a-la fired Kentucky... and here the pepper tingling my nose.

A nice trip, and very uncommon experience in evolution of strength, flavours and body. Haddo's delighting me.

Ehi, the driest smoke and ashes ever ! Plus: the only non-aromatic tobacco whose room aroma pleases my wife, and that's absolutely wonderful.

Well done, dear Greg.

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend has always amazed me. Here we have both Burley Cavendish, White Burley and Perique to fill out this Virginia blend, and then it's not stronger than any ol' average VaPer? I guess it's the casing that tames it. 'Cause down past midbowl the strength sneaks up on you. And when the blend has had time to breath, it gets more like...real strong Perique'ish (uhm)

I never get used to the stench upon opening this (as with many of Pease's), a very full Cognac-like flavour hits your nostrils, and either you love it or you instantly feel physically ill.

But the bacco by no means tastes like it smells, thank God, and it turns out to be a very decent VaPer blend.

I am a long time Perique lover, and set up against other VaPer's out there, it lands way above average. VaPer's doesn't have to be complex (like HH Acadian), nor can't they all be 'down to earth' perfection (like Orlik's Bulls Eye). But this actually goes into my top-five of all time greatest Virginia/Perique's.

Way better than average in almost every aspect. The heavy flavouring annoys me though, and makes it somewhat of an aromatic in my book. But then again, it would most definitely be in my top-three of all time aromatics ;) And the room note is one of the most pleasant I've ever come across containing this much Perique (I belive at least 10%)

Cut to the chase.. I recommend this blend to all VaPer lovers. Tastes above average, burns above average and all in all a good place to start if you plan on moving in on the exciting Perique territory.

If you read this far, you probably wonder why I call this a VaPer, when it's technically not. It's just that the complimentary ingredients of other baccos are just that - helpful but very discreet.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Haddo's reputation is such that one can't help being a little underwhelmed. Don't expect as much as some claim for this blend, and it might end up one of your favorites.

Further reflections, 10/05/10:

The topping or casing (I don't know which it is.) varies from tin to tin. Some tins have quite a bit of added flavoring, some very little. In general, the flavor is exactly that of a candy I enjoyed as a child: Brach's Milk Maid Royals Raspberry chews. The flavor stays with you until the last few puffs of the bowl. And the tin note can be somewhat nauseating.

I'm not a fan of aromatics, and this is the most heavily flavored tobacco I keep around. Except for the flavoring, it is a fairly full Virginia Perique blend.

Not Pease's best effort, but an interesting and enjoyable diversion. Three stars only because of the inconsistent levels of added flavoring, and the strongly aromatic nature of the blend will not appeal to all. But for some reason, I keep buying it, and I keep smoking it.

Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Ahhhh, Haddo's! So unique, it's almost impossible to describe. The best I can come with it's a full bodied VaPer with a wonderful and very mild cocoa, plums and figs flavoring, but that description falls short. I could also compare it to Anniversary Kake as they are both cocoa-flavored VaPers, but Haddo's is much more than that. Not necessarily better, just more complex. Its only minor drawback is a mouth drying effect.

If you're into VaPers and you haven't tried this one, you're missing something big. I wish my grandfather would have lived long enough to do it.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This one baffles me. I have smoked it for going on two weeks, one bowl a day. Sunday I rubbed out several coins of Escudo. Escudo is bliss. On the heels of the Escudo, the HD tonight was near-revolting. I thought please make it stop! I cannot finish this. I just bought a pound of this stuff. What will I do with it? The perique rush was disturbing. Then came a wave of very bland cavendish blah, ugh. I thought, VA, burley where are you? And then mid-bowl the HD morphed, or did I? I cannot describe this wonderful, exotic experience in tobacco terms. Aberlour A'Bunadh? Woody, sherry, dried fruit. If Escudo was vaper bliss on Sunday, the HD was a slice of Speyside-like heaven tonight. It has been an hour, and I am still enjoying the finish. Your mileage may vary.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The blend stars off peppery but quickly settles down into a smooth taste. It retains the pepper overtone throughout the bowl but the stewed fruit flavors normally associated with the perique build towards mid bowl.

I can't say I'm thrilled with the way my clothes and surroundings smell after a smoke but it tastes very good.

The blend might not be my favorite but it is very solid and as another review mentioned "serviceable". The tobacco leaves a fine salt and pepper ash. Also burns pretty cool. No bite here- but I have never found bite in any Pease blend.

I will use this mainly for a change of pace blend. I normally go for the G.L. Pease Caravan (which can not be praised enough), but this is a nice way to mix it up. With some age this might become a 4 star.

If you like or love perique give this a try,

Good stuff, but then again I have not tried one of Greg's blends that was not at least a 3 star.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Haddo's Delight seems to be quite the controversial tobacco. I am giving it four stars because when it is "on" it is "killer."

It isn't on all the time though. I believe Haddo's is very sensitive to moisture level in the tin. The first time I tried it, it knocked me out with the pleasant nose bite, strength, tin aroma and the faint taste of cocoa. I immediately purchased another half dozen tins and some bulk tins.

Upon opening subsequent tins, I thought that the blend did not taste the same. But 30 days or so after the initial opening, it would settle down considerably. I think it tastes best slightly on the dry side. Some reviewers complain that C&D and Pease tobaccos are inconsistently blended, so maybe that is an issue.

I am waiting to see how well this ages. It could turn out to be sublime with five or so years of age. I also look forward to trying it in some larger pipes.

topdogue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
topdogue (13)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Reviewing tobacco mixtures can be a very challenging effort. HD is a very strong in the nicotine sense, so strong i can't smoke more than a half bowl before my head gets the swimmers. It has a very full feel in the mouth and fantastic flavour that builds until the very end. This one of Greg's finest achievements and does not fit into a tidy little niche, like a Burley mixture or a VAPER (that is truly dumb tobacco slang. My great grandmother had the vapers). It is in a class of its own and should not be compared to a Virgina-Perique mixture like Three Nuns or McClelland 2015. Comparing Haddo's to a Burley blend or a VA-Perique and being dissatisfied is like comparing a Ferrari F40 to a Silverado and concluding the Silverado is a much better vehicle because is has a much higher towing capacity. That is what makes tobacco reviewing a challenge. I have a very low tolerance for nicotine, but i am not going to downgrade this fine mixture because of that. Before i get dizzy, this is one the finest full flavoured mixtures i have smoked from the standpoint of burning cool and dry, and having a very complex, engaging flavour unlike any other mixture. Will I buy it again? Nope, too much nicotine. Do i think it is one of the best mixtures for those who tolerate nicotine and prefer a very full bodied and flavoured complex smoke, absolutely. Give it an honest 2 ounces to try, but don't compare it to something it is not. It is better!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a classic, as so many other reviewers have pointed out --a benchmark for what a great tobacco blend can be. This is not really a VA/Per, as the burley and canvendish are as obvious as the virginias or perique. What Pease has managed to do is combine these leafs in such a way as to produce a 100 percent original flavor, something that doesn't even remind me of anything else. It's sweet, tangy, and rich with countless subtle undertones (chocolate, honey) that wax and wane as the bowl progresses. This blend is clearly topped with something, and I think it's also likely been stoved somewhere in the blending process (but that's just a guess). Three caveats here, for those who've not tried this one yet. First, make sure you allow it to age for at least one year before smoking. I've never come across a blend that is so dramatically affected by age, and you probably won't enjoy it if you open it too quickly. Second, this one can bite your tongue, so smoke it slowly. Third, there's a lot of nicotine in this blend, enough to make you sick if you rush it. HIGHLY recommended

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)

I realize that I've given virtually every tobacco I've reviewed high ratings. Well, frankly, I know what I like and pursue that stuff with zeal.

Though more of a latakia lover, perique is another dear friend.

I bought a can of Haddo's back in August 2006 from my local tobacconist. It was stamped 6/20/06. I held off on smoking it until January.

Upon opening... whoah!!! What a fragrance... chocolate, rum, cherries... brings back memories of some tobacco my uncle smoked when I was a small child.

I can detect the black cavendish and here it is used sparingly, as it should be. I cannot, however, detect the burley. I can visually, but in the taste and aroma, I can't. I'm not a burley hater by any means, but I am typically indifferent.

The VAs and periques, though, are superb. This smoke along with Fillmore has the correct amount of perique. I'll always keep these two on hand for those times I need a dose of the Louisiana manna.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an outstanding blend of tobaccos. I first tried this when I began smoking pipes and it was too strong for me. Now, I can't put it down. It is the sweetest tobacco from Pease that I have tried, yet also one of the spiciest. It burns perfectly, smokes very cool, and may be my favorite va/per on the market.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I do tend to give very positive reviews or none at all, and my tastes do change. Up until a kind person gave me a 5 year old tin of this I did not like HD, finding it sharp and unbalanced. But I didn't give it a fair shake years ago.

Now it is my favorite morning smoke. Not strong to me but I regularly smoke Lakeland flakes and Nightcap etc., and compared to those HD is a "medium". A tobacco with a very broad appeal, obviously, with something for almost everyone.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

As Nightcap pleases the Latakia lover to no avail, so too Haddo's Delight is the equivalent for those favoring Perique. If you should find yourself wondering exactly what Perique may be, and why all the fuss, this is your most invaluable resource. I can't quite say I've ever found another blend in such generous proportion of Perique as this, which is welcomed beyond belief.

My initial reaction was unfavorable, but only because I had tasted Perique in limited quantities, and was not prepared for the full assault. To compare with other VA/Perique blends, I tried both Bayou Morning Flake from C&D and the popular Escudo. I enjoyed both, but they differ significantly from this offering...especially Escudo, which finds the straightforward and almost dry path.

Yes it is strong, and yes you should respect its capacity to put you in your place, but don't shy away. It lights and burns beautifully and won't bother you with inconsistencies. When the pipe is put away, the lingering aroma will remind you of the good times.

Enjoy.

Baltimore Pipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baltimore Pipester (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is truly a unique smoking experience. The best Virginia/Perique blend on the market. A wonderful blend of colors greets you upon opening the tin and the aroma is fantastic. Lots of raisin and stewed fruit flavor with a hint of cocoa and maybe a mild rum scent. I know Haddo's doesn't have a rum topping but the aroma is sure there. It packs best in medium to large bowls. I have been smoking this daily for the last month in everything from group 4 Dunhills to a G sized Becker to a Savinelli Autograph 5 with a 3" deep and an inch and a quarter wide tobacco chamber. This blend has smoked terrific in all of them. The flavor starts out light and sweet and gets progressively deeper and stronger down the bowl. Mid-way through the smoke the flavor really intensifies with the strongest Perique flavor kicking in at the last third of the bowl. The Virginia leaf is always present, wafting in and out with a superb sweetness. The Black Cavendish and Air-cured Leaf really smooth out the blend. I prefer to smoke this in the afternoon or evening with a nice cup of coffee or tea, but it could also be an all day smoke for the Perique lovers out there. It is that smooth and flavorful. It leaves the bowl dry all the way down and all that is left is a fine gray ash. No matter what sized bowl you smoke this in the end always comes too soon. Another grand slam from Greg Pease.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As the saying goes, "You can please some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." It seems Mr. Pease has pleased most of the reviewers here but not all. I will dissent. With all of the euphoria about this blend, my expectations were high when I first tried it six months ago and again this past week. I wasn?t impressed either time and likened this experience to rave movie reviews given by friends only to be disappointed when I saw the movie that left me wondering what they saw in the movie that I didn?t. What I didn?t find in this tobacco is a taste I liked. I also found it pretty much one-dimensional. I did find too much strength, nicotine and perique that didn?t sit well with me. You can?t please all of the people all of the time and that is why blenders offer myriad blends to choose from and try. Finding the blend(s) you like is the adventure.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 5.5 out of 10.

prestonmarkstone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prestonmarkstone (3)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've recently returned to pipe smoking after a long hiatus, and one of the first blends I wanted to try again was Haddo's Delight. I remembered it being something of an acquired taste; it's unremarkable at first, but it grows on you quickly.

I was surprised to find, after smoking it for a few days, that Haddo's Delight is consistently pleasurable and pleasant. The blend consists of alternating blonde and dark ribbon with a bit of bright burley thrown in. It feels moist to the touch (a little too moist for my taste) and has a striking nutty-fruity tin aroma that makes me think of Christmas for some reason. It's mouth-watering without being cloying.

Upon first light, there's a definite tobacco-like flavor with a hint of something nutty; this settles down into a smooth smoke with a savory toasted flavor, reminiscent (to me) of pie crust. I found it difficult to smoke consistently; Haddo's Delight tends to burn a little hot. The flavor is exceedingly delicate, and smoking this blend in a clean pipe makes a huge difference.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (33)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I'll eschew my normal review criteria, since Colonel Panic's able review hit all of the points I discovered about this tobacco. I only have a few points to add:

I found myself needing a 9mm charcoal filter to attenuate the harsh peppery assault on the back of my throat. Other than this, I found the smoke to be uncomplicated, but full and genuine. I'm going to cellar this one for a month or so and hope that the peppery effect lessens to the point where it blends more with the smoothness of the rest of the tobacco.

This is a fine blend, if a bit strong on the nicotine side.* I'm going to give this an occasional try and I expect it to age well and fulfill my hopes for what is a very well-blended creation.

Overall Recommendation: If you are a dedicated aromatic smoker, this might be good for an occasional smoke to remind you of what a solid non-aromatic is. If you're a big Virginia fan, this might hold something for you, too. I recommend getting it as part of a sampler and going ahead and seeing what this tobacco can really do for you as a pipe smoker. This seems to be something that can fill a niche for any level of pipe smoker.

*This tobacco will beat you like you owe it money if you do not smoke it well and if you inhale it. The nicotine wallop is as quick as lighting and as noticeable as a brick to the skull.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with everything positive said above and will not try to add anything. I right this review for one reason only and that is because I feel I have some beneficial advise. I recommend that anyone who enjoyed the taste of Haddo's but was put off by the nicotine strength try it in a meerschaum pipe. Due to the porous nature of meerschaum it tends to filter more of the nicotine than briar. I too felt this was a little strong for regular smoking, however, when I tried it in a meer. my experience was much more pleasant. One of my favorite va/p smokes.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me begin by saying that I am totally devoted to GLP blends. Every one I've tried is good and most are excellent.

I adore this tobacco in the same way I adore spicy food; on occasion. The perique is strong, the nicotine is definitely in your face, and there are times that this fits the bill perfectly.

Like the other GLP blend I've tried, this is exactly what is promised and the promise is realized in this sublime tobacco. Absolutely wonderful.......

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Strong

I have to go with hornsmoker on this review, Haddo's is the most overhyped VA blend in existance. I don't know that I can even call it a VA blend now that I think of it. There is a lot of Cavendish in this blend, along with Perique. I'm not a Cavendish fan...what can I say? I think many of Greg's blends are wonderful, but this one didn't do it for me. I'm anxiously awaiting his TRUE Virginia/Perique blend coming out this summer (2003). As for those of you who like the fig smell, get a fruitcake! ;-)

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After recovering from the effects that escudo had on me, I was very hesitant to try another Virginia/Perique blend. This one , though was a very pleasant surprise. It smelled wonderful in the tin and developed a very complex taste as smoked down the bowl. It smoked down to a white ash with just a touch of dottle. I have discovered that I may be allergic to Perique because I felt as if I had a cold after smoking this blend . This was my experience after two tins over two months time, so for me this is an occassional change of pace smoke.

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I noticed this tobacco caused quite a commotion on alt.smokers.pipes a while back when it was lauched, with generallt glowing reviews. Alas I could not try it as I live in Ireland where it is not sold, however I was able to obtain a tin via a trade and I am writing my review based on finishing off that tin.

The aroma of the tobacco is very fruity and flowery, its a very natural aroma, you can tell no nasty additives are in use here. The cut is quite rought, but packs very nicely indeed.

The smoke itself is very flavousome, the with the perique dominating, albeit with a fruityness laced with it. The first half of the bowl is quite smooth for a perique blend, in the second half the flavours seem to move up a notch and it becomes a much more intense smoke. If you like perique blends youu will like this, it stands out from the standard perique blends such as Escudo or Three Nuns by having delicate flavours added to it which gives the blend a whole new dimension. It also has a nictotine hit which gives it a bot of oomph. I really like this tobacco, I just wish it was sold in Europe.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

When I first smoked this my palate swelled and I couldn,t see straight. I was really disappointed because I really wanted to like this. I smoked it right when I opened the tin I put it away for a week tried it again much better. The more I smoke this and the more it ages the better it gets. I have a Savinelli canadian and an apple shaped Karl Eric that love this stuff. My first mistake was trying it in a pipe not fully broken in. It is definately complex and flavorful. DO NOT smoke this on an empty stomach or else you will die. Took a little effort to get lit but once it does it's an engaging smoke. What else can I say that hasn't already been said. You must like perique or you won't like this at all. Not an all day smoke but definately in my line up. Wimps need not apply...

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I rarely smoke blends with burley in them as so many of them seem to have a non descriptive flavor. The presence of figs and rains is pronounce the peri questions is properly proportioned as a condiment should be. All in all, this is a very satisfying smoke.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a very intriguing blend and one I find myself smoking more than I first thought I would. The plum (if thats what it is) is mild but noticeable -- although the overall impression is one that is closer to a good V/per. The burley is sharp and the Virginias are tasteful and rich. And then the Perique. There is a lot of perique. But its a mellower perique than one finds in some blends. All that said this is a full and rather sharp blend. Thats not a complaint at all. The nic hit is medium and a touch more perhaps. It reminds me of hal o the wynd with a mild casing added. It also reminds me a bit of War Horse. All told its good stuff.

I should add that it says ribbon cut, but its not really a ribbon cut, its more a rough cut or even a broad cut.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I don't know who Haddo was, but if he found delight in this he was probably a man to stand aside from.

Description has it a Va/Per, but it's much closer to a Per/Va; the Perique is absolutely overwhelming. To be fair, they're upfront about it on the tin, "for the Perique lover." Take that seriously. If you're sensitive to Perique or just don't like it, you aren't going to like Haddo's.

You get some sweet breadiness from the Virginias, but the Perique is front and center with a pleasant plum taste, but also a huge dose of pepperiness. The taste is pleasant and full, but there's just too much Perique for me (is there such a thing as a Perique bomb?). Nicotine strength is on the strong side of medium, though if you have low tolerance you'll probably find Haddo's firmly in the strong ranking.

My unbiased rating for Haddo's is 3, maybe 3.5 stars. It's a quality blend. But for my personal taste, 1 star or less.

Pipe Used: variety of briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: tin fresh

Purchased From: SPC

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Wonderful stuff! from the tin I got an explosion of so many good flavors in which the dominant one is the brandy liquor, while smoking it, the taste and smell are like smoking an aromatic, but good aromatic with high nicotine dose, I would highly recommend this blend to those looking for a good quality aromatic tobacco.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: 3 years 8oz tin

Similar Blends: Barbary coast.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Just to start off....I'm cellaring two tins, one to try in a year and another in 5 years. I really like this blend but it is very difficult to explain why. All the components make it very complex. The Virginias are the stars, but are well supported by the rest of the cast. This is my first foray into the original mixtures from GL Pease, but I may be getting further into the line after this experience. Two thumbs up!

Pipe Used: Falcon Billiard

Purchased From: smoking pipes

erkantural Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erkantural (10)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Haddo's Delight is an interesting blend. It has that sour-sweet aroma of the plum and brandy in the tin, could be overwhelming sometimes. On the other hand it's stronger than it smells. I didn't believe it would be strong enough until I try. I was wrong, Haddo punched me bad.

It's spicy as if i'm chewing a handful of dry clove buds. I don't say it's bad, just not my treat. Maybe I can't get along with Perique, I don't know.

I would like to try it again, in some distant future. Then maybe I can criticize it more objectively.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I got a ten year old sample of this in the mail recently. I had smoked a few odd bowls of it years back, but this was totally different. The bottom is sort of square, which reminds me of old Lombard that I've smoked. That makes me think it comes from the burley and perique that they share in common. The topping seems to fill in gaps rather than be its own note. It's strong, so I smoked half bowls, or ate before smoking.

Overall, I'm a big fan of this at ten years old. Not something I'm going to rush to put in my rotation, but if I buy the odd tin and forget about it for a decade, I'll have a nice smoke.

Pipe Used: A Savinelli second

fmjiii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fmjiii (16)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Haddo's Delight is a masterpiece of blending. The tin note is a combination of tangy tobacco with a plum brandy topping. The combination of the topping and the perique give the tin note a little something reminiscent to chocolate covered raisins. The perique is strong but the flavor is an enhancer. The flavors and strength build quite nicely down the bowl. This is a sweet, stout, spicy mixture. The Virginia is always present, wafting in and out with a superb sweetness. The Black Cavendish and Air-cured Leaf really smooth out the blend. You need to be patient because it's like nothing else available on the market and redefines the smoker's conceptions of pipe tobaccos. Lastly, the relatively high nicotine content of Haddo’s Delight tends to cause an unpleasant sensation. I'm a little drunk right now. But I still love Haddo’s Delight.

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Haddo's is very similar to U.S.S Mason by C&D as to the taste and incorporates the same Brandy topping. This is a blend that is a true velvet hammer, goes down easy and very tasty and then halfway through the nicotine hits you like a shovel. Haddo's is not a favorite but is certainly delicious and I will keep some on hand when I want something very different. Absolutley needs to be tried by every piper since it is that unusual.

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - U.S.S. Mason.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)

Haddo was just a little too out of balance for me. Yup, the perique was just over powering, simply put. I love perique, but it has to be done correctly, or maybe its me. Whatever the case may be I can whole heartedly recommend this to the perique freaks out there. Otherwise exercise caution :) BTW, this lit well, behaved in the bowl and yielded a moderate amount of smoke, so the basics are there and that's a good thing!! PJ

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Take a great VaPer with a good nic hit and add some type of slight topping and what do you get? Heaven. This is an awesome blend. It's a regular.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

A blend that pleasantly tingles the palate. Full flavor, for sure. Into the bowl the Virginias and Perique can be clearly identified. The raisinesque top notes come out, particularly on the retrohale. I also get a flavor that is like cigar leaf coming through at times. Pleasant for me, as I'm also a gar guy. Further in the taste gets a bit sharp and edgy. Overall, a good, full-flavored experience. 3+.

Pipe Used: Italian Basket 35+ years old, Stanwell

Age When Smoked: Tin 19-JUN-2013

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

Dude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dude (9)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have been sampling a tin of Haddos for the last 3 years. It rests in a mason jar currently.

First sample with no age was very young tobacco , which i think is representative of a lot of C&D produced blends. Strong tin note - fruit and grand marnier. Perique blast but other tobaccos are all mis matched so I let age.

After sampling over the last few years i can say the age improves Haddos.

But for me this bend consistently fades out after the mid bowl point where the taste becomes bland , flat and a little bitter.

I give two stars for the first half of the bowl and for the unique flavor it provides ( maybe a mix between Royal Yacht and Stonehaven? )

Age When Smoked: fresh tin to 3 yrs old

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I would describe this blend as thin and sharp. I tried it in multiple pipes and at different moisture levels. No matter what I did this blend always bit my tongue. I'll try aging the remainder of the tin and revisit at a later date.

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (18)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I have read that Pease blends improve significantly with age and maybe that is true with this one.

I have smoked 4 bowls of this and haven't particularly enjoyed any of them. I think this would be better smoked in the winter. I smoked a bowl of this when it was about 90 degrees outside and felt like I was about to pass out. It was very harsh and it left me with an upset stomach.

I like a little Perique (Irish Oak is one of my favorite tobaccos) but this one has been too much for me.

Maybe I am just not man enough for it. I will try and give an update in the fall/winter when it has had some time to age.

EDIT: 9/7/13

I just jarred most of what I had left of my 2oz. tin. I smoked another bowl (in the cool of the morning this time) and was again disappointed. It was characterized by burning in the back of the throat (I like spicy, this is just harsh) and an upset stomach. I couldn't even finish the bowl.

I can smell the raisins that people consistently comment on but it is overpowered (to my taste) by the perique. I had the opened tin in a container (to keep the smell from bothering my wife) with 9 pipes and two other opened tins of tobacco and when I open the container all I can smell is the friggin' Haddo's!

'Gonna let this joker chill for a year or two before I try again. Maybe I'll get some Irish Oak in the meantime.

UPDATE2: 04-2014

Okay, now that this tin has gotten some age one it I am rereviewing it. When I opened the jar I still got the familiar cloying scent from this. I was sure I was not going to enjoy it. I went outside with a bowl of this and some hot black coffee. Man, what a difference! The sweetness, with a slight pepperiness. That cloying aroma gives way to a very nice smoke.

I will say, I've had several bowls of this since reopening the jar and it seems to smoke completely different outside than it does indoors (my truck counts as indoors right?). It seems to loose that subtle sweetness and I think a nice cool breeze does wonders for the peppery Perique. If you are just getting into Va/Per's I would suggest going with something a bit more mild (like PS Bullseye Flake).

All in all (sorry for the long review) I give this 4 stars AS LONG AS: you let it get a bit of age; smoke it slow; enjoy on a nice cool/cold morning. That's a lot of conditions so I can't give this more than 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran 05; T. Polinski Bent Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Peter Stokebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Not bad, but not memorable either. Smells and tastes like some rum flavoured blends from C&D . The C&D AfterHours is better. Tobacco is too dry, difficult to keep lighted, and it releases moisture. Will not buy again.

MyPipeAndBook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MyPipeAndBook (9)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I read a lot of reviews about this Blend, so I finally bought a tin of it. When I opened the Tin....The first thing I noticed was the tobacco was very dry. Not happy! Anyways, I loaded it into a brand new unsmoked Radice pipe I was saving for the occasion. As I lit the pipe, I got nothing. Hmmm?? So I tamped it a bit and lit it again. Still nothing....Just like air! Well...I smoked the bowl down past the half way mark with little change so I dumped it out and that was that. Very disappointed with this Blend. Unless I got a bad tin? I will try and hydrate it a little and give it another shot but as it is now....It's tasteless.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Every good thing that has been said about this blend is true. A masterpice!!!!

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (33)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My first bowl review of Haddo's. At first I was unsure of this blend. At the beginning of the toke I was feeling a little too heavy on spicyness/pepperiness. Perhaps i just pulled too hard or fast on it. Also, had a slight issue with moisture coming up through the stem. Maybe needs to dry out a bit. This smoke really grew on me throughout the bowl. I see this is a sign of a real quality blend. In the middle it was very earthy. It almost tasted like I had broken up a cigar and dropped it in the bowl. Perhaps that was from the Burley element, which is my first experience. Towards the end the earthiness really mellowed out, easing slowly into a nice smooth flavor on the palate. I found myself wishing that the bowl was not finished, yearning for more. I did feel the nicotine hit, but was not overpowered by it as some were. My rating: Very enjoyable. May turn to 4 stars upon further review.

A nice VaPer, with the added cav and burley not really evident to me as separate notes. The perique sensative may find that element a bit too strong, but a nice stout smoke all-in-all. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is probably not.

Scottgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottgun (11)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Should be called Haddo's Nicotine Punch in the Face. I enjoyed smoking it, but I can't finish a bowl before the room is spinning. While I'm not a tough guy when it comes to nicotice, I'm not a wimp either, and what makes this blend so insidious is that it sneaks up on you. One minute I'm enjoying (in all fairness) a tasty smoke, the next I'm lying on a bed for two hours sweating in a 65-degree house. You have been warned.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend makes me feel like the last kid picked in dodge ball. I can taste the flavors, and I can absolutely understand how some people would find this taste to be nirvana, but I am just not sure it is for me. I feel like I am the uninvited nerd to the Haddo's Delight party.

When it comes to quality it is a well known fact that Mr. Pease produces some of the finest product to ever grace the briar. If Mr. Pease released a blend called Pigeon Crap I would buy a couple tins to cellar, just because I know if he makes it, quality it will be.

This blend is very good, but it just does not stun me like others. I can tell why others love it, but it just is not for me. There is a definite dark, raisin, dried fruit, spice cake type of flavor here, and a meerschaum really brings out the nuances.

Give it a shot, for you it may be utopia in a bowl. I will stick to my other Pease Favorites.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Great stuff. You'll probably either love it or hate it. Give it some time though as the strong waft of overripe bannanas and flavour takes a little getting used to at first. I must admit that while i enjoy this straight, i mostly smoke it 50/50 with Union Square which is sublime. As always with GLP, the tobaccos are first class. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a competitor or a newb.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well....sadly...Boring. I was disappointed with this one. I'll put it in the cellar and try again after it ages.

UPDATE 11/19: Wow, what a change with a little age. I Smoked several more bowls over the last week and really enjoyed them. This is how I like my VaPers, with a bit of perique but the main flavor is the virginia. I fully agree with DK (see below). He gives the best review of this blend. Bowl size matters on this one. The nic hit can be a whammy.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Opening this six month old tin of Haddo's Delight revealed loose varied cut ribbons in different shades of brown, black, and orange. The tin aroma was of figs, raisins, and chocolate covered cherries. It had a good moisture level and was clean to the touch.

An unlit sip brought the raisin and fig taste to my palate. Overall the raisin and fig tastes seemed to dominate. I could also grasp the brandy flavor that other reviews I have read have mentioned. It was very full bodied with a wicked hit of nicotine. This blend burned to a dry gray ash, leaving a nice room note, and a short finish.

This blend may have been too complex for me to give an adequate review. I have been used to smoking more straightforward tobaccos of late, and I was not ready for what this blend had to offer. I enjoyed the nice sweet flavors I could detect, and the cool burning of this blend. I wouldn't smoke this blend on an empty stomach. I tried it once, and it left me feeling queasy. I think this would be a great after lunch smoke to carry one through to the end of the work day. I also think anyone who enjoys a full bodied, high nicotine blend with perique will enjoy this smoke. I have another tin in my cellar I'm going to let sit for a few years, and then tackle this one again.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Well, the tin note promised an interesting aromatic but it did not deliver. It was rather confusing, in fact, as it didn't seem to stick to particular flavor. At first it was peppery and but that didn't last and it moved to bland and then it was just "smoke". G.L. Pease said he blends all of his tobacco with aging in mind so I will age this one a bit and try again in a year or so. For now, a huge "meh".

Edit: I tried it again on 7/17/2012. This wasn't bad at all. It's not one of my favorites, but it certainly had a really pleasant sweetness along with some spice!

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

whew! a bit strong on the cavendish and rum or brandy.. but otherwise a quality va/per.. and the first pease blend i actually sort of like.. recommended but it is more for someone who likes a strange cavendish heavy va/per.

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

I wanted to like this blend, it has so many qualities I normally enjoy in my baccys. I just couldn't do it though. I tried it a couple times when I first got it and it gave me tongue burn. I set it aside and thought I'd give it some time. Came back to it a month later and tried it a couple more times. While it didn't give me tongue burn the second go around, I just didn't enjoy the flavor or the burning quality. It reminded me of a strong cigar and I had to keep relighting it. Im going to set this one aside for a year or so and give it one last try, but as of now, not something I would highly recommend.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

Haddo's Delight is a fine burley, cavendish, Virginia, perique combination. I recently finished an '06 tin and will order more. HD, if sufficiently dry, will have excellent burning characteristics, a fine room note, and an interesting fig/raisin flavor. Although I primarily smoke English and Balkan blends, HD is increasingly a favorite. Recommended.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Like every Pease tobacco's, this is a high quality one. But, at the end..... it's unsmokable: raw, crude,inelegant, boorish. And Pease is a sort of illiterate blender. This cook uses quality and tastefull ingredients, but definitly he's inapt to assemble and amalgamate the ingredients. The result is......raw. Sorry Pease, you are discharged. You can smoke a Pease's blend a time a week.....and is very good. You smoke a Pease's blend two time a week.....and is goog. You smoke a Pease's blend a time in a day.....and is unpleasant. you smoke a Pease's blend all the day....and is nauseating. So.....if you are looking for an occasional good tobacco: try it. But if you are looking for a trusty partner....just flee from Pease!!!!

I open a tin aged 6 years to try it again: horrid ! And the age turn it very very very SIGARETTISH !

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An unusual blend with an unusual topping. Even though I have to call the topping mild, it is unique and you will notice it! It may just be as simple a thing as rum or brandy (I'm not completely sure which) interacting with Perique, but it makes its presence known. I first purchased a young tin, and the topping was really out there. Next, I found a five-year-old tin on Ebay. This was milder. So much milder, that I decided to mix the two vintages. The resulting amalgam has a flavor I find tolerable. The tobaccos in Haddo's Delight are first rate. The topping is, well, there's the rub. To me, it's a little strange, not overwhelmingly strong, but strange. But then, my next tobacco to review is Murray's production Erinmore Mixture! I find the topping in Haddo's is tamed by certain pipes, like this unmarked handcarved billiard I am smoking it in right now, or a small-bowled pipe. I am duly impressed with the quality of the Virginias, and by the Perique (or Green River Cavendish) content. I can't smoke this all the time, so my 3.5 ounces of blended vintages should hold me for a while. Don't get me wrong, I almost went to four stars on this. The quality is there. That topping, or juice, just gives it somewhat of a freakish quality. I'm sure Haddo would agree.

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (20)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant

Hado's Delight form G.L. Pease. What can I say that hasn't been said already...I do about 3 bowls a day, that way it remains special. I alternate with Escudo sometimes, although the two are very different. Westminster is my mainstay these days, especially when driving. Hado's is really a supreme example of tobacco blending. A delightful bouquet of raisins and dried figs from the tin. Packs and lights easily. Can be smoked with one post-charing light. This is a sipping tobacco, not one for pulling hard on. The Louisiana Perique forces you to go slowly (...remember the "gentle art of pipe smoking"), but provides excellent overtones, especially in the second half of the bowl. The Virginias and unflavored Black Cavendish provide body and sweetness. This is REALLY a delightful and almost magical blend, for any time of the day, but especially as a break from whatever your main smoke of the day happens to be. Stocked up the basement for aging purposes. Cheers, and happy smoking!

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)

Haddos is just what it is advertised to be. A good honest smoke with a little topping that is very light. Great Va. here as well as plenty of perique. The cavendish helps to keep the peace among the components. I'm sure the burley is there, but you only feel it in the strength, not in the flavor much.

I have to say this is not one of my favorites. It's good and the remaining tins in my cellar will be smoked with pleasure. As far as buying more? Well, that will be determined later. I can recommend this to fellow pipers because I think it will please enough people with it's profile to be in the market place for a long time to come. Just sorry it isn't a bell ringer for me.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Haddo's Delight very nice tobacco...at first light you find this mixture quite spicy..After a couple of draws,once Bowl is fully-even burn;this mixture settles right down.The perique is in the background singing Harmony;through this fine piece of music. I find this mixture smokes best in a small-medium bowl/Do not get in a hurry,"Pease-Blends"tend to be very complex;don't try to seek them out,Let Them Find You AND Enjoy ! :+)

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Strong Very Mild Overwhelming Tolerable

Well, I can't seem to enjoy Perique. I respect this blend for its quality in that it burns well, smells just fine (both in the tin and whilst smoking it), and the flavor....EXCEPT for the peppery sensation of DOOM. If your a Perique lover, then this blend is for you.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I love and mostly smoke perique blends, I found that the flavoring in this blend was too overpowering and detracted from the tobacco's natural flavors.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of those tobaccos that lately can do no right. So much has been written about it that new smokers seem to get upset when the face of God doesn't appear in the first puff of smoke. "Hey, I just smoked my first bowl of Haddo's and my underpants are dry as a twenty year old pouch. What a rip-off." I hear you.

Oh well.

I've been enjoying Haddo's for some time now and I find it a perfectly serviceable blend. The tobacco quality is excellent, after all. In the tin it's all butterscotchy but in the pipe it behaves like a mid-weight VaPer with a twist. It's neither impressively intense nor disappointingly bland. It's just good.

The way I see it, Haddo's doesn't have a thing to apologize for. It's the authors of all those hyperbolic 4-star reviews who should be held accountable. Haha.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After a lot of encouragement I finally tried Haddo's. The blend turned out to be a positive experience. Love the perique, love the viginina, but there is a complexity to this smoke that just makes it enjoyable all the way down the bowl. It may also be that touch of Cavendish that adds the burley tingle to it.

I doesn't light as easily as some blends, but once lit it burns nice and clean. Recommended in the medium to larger bowls; it doesn't seem to develop if packed tightly into a small bowl. Now I don't smoke it regularly as it fuller flavored than I like so I experimented and found that 1/2 Haddo's and 1/2 Cumberland make for a really great smoke not as full as Haddo's and more interesting than plain Cumberland. The topping/casing is the same so it blends perfectly.

I have enjoyed it in Danish, English and meerschaum bowls with good success.

z_evil_genius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
z_evil_genius (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I really tried to like Haddo's considering that it is so well rated. But it just turns out that I am more of a Latakia fan than a virginia fan. So I advise that most people take this with a grain of salt. Read my other reviews to see what my other tastes are. If you don't like Latakia, then you might like Haddo's, but for me it just doesn't work. I can't even describe the taste. It simply doesn't set well with me. So, if you really like Latakia, such as Penzance or My MixIure 965, then you might feel as I do, that Haddo's isn't your style. It isn't a bad tobacco, seems to burn to a white ash and is decent in most respects. I just don't like the flavor or aftertaste. I'm hoping my opinion will change by the end of the tin, but I doubt it.

[Edit] It's been a while, but after finishing the tin, I still feel the same about it. It just doesn't work for me, although my tastes have changed a bit from the strict Latakia blends I was smoking.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

A nice VA/perq, a bit too vinegary, too moist in the tin, but it has a nice malty balsamic taste that puts it in a league of its own. A nice natural earthy flavor.

EDIT: this ages well and gets less vinegary as time passes, the cavendish and rum pops out more too, hence I up it too four star.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not impressed with this blend. OK, it is not bad, but I expected more from Perique. To me, taste is to flat without any thrill.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I first tried this about 6 months ago and waited to try it again before doing a review. I was expecting to like Haddo's based on review by some of the guys who seem to have some of the same favorites that I do but alas, I can't wrap my taste buds around this one.

My taste isn't sophisticated enough to tell you what it is that I don't like, I just know that it totally missed the mark for me.

As much as I love Odyssey and Charing Cross, I don't even like Haddo's Delight enough to finish the tin - I will give it to a friend of mine who does like it.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

This is a fine tobacco with rich,robust flavor.It is slightly moist upon opening.Their is no need for drying or rubbing.Haddo burns fine ash and stays lite.It has good nicotine content.I have noticed others getting hung up on the name of this tobak.Haddo could be called Charles Manson Delight and I would still smoke it as a daily.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first slight disappointment with Greg's tobaccos, and many other smokers' favorite (so I'll shock someone here). The smell of the unburnt tobacco is nice: if you let the tin open for a while, you can get some chocolatey notes under the sharp perique notes and the alcoholic topping (the intensity of which seems to vary slightly according to the tin: as a matter of fact, Greg has confessed that an ingredient of the top secret processing to produce this tobacco is rum!). When smoking, however, the rum is almost not perceivable: the taste is of a typical Virginia/Perique blend. The burley and cavendish contribution explicit themselves in a very subtle way, almost ghost-like. What puzzles me about the rave reviews of Haddo's is that I can't seem to get much taste out of it... I am not a fan of Va/perique mixtures, but some of them are really good and I love them a lot. This one, instead, has a blander taste which I find a bit lacking in the sweet notes department. Certainly this is too subtle a tobacco for my unsophisticated taste, but I prefer sweeter and simpler blends. It doesn't bite too much, but I find it to be rather strong nicotine-wise and gives me headaches: if you want a earthy and complex virginia/perique blend rich in citrusy sour notes, full with perique and with a toasty quality that reminds a bit of Tribute (which I like better), this might be a great choice for you anyway.

2012 Update: I raised my rating for this blend... The trick was simple: let it age A LOT. My current tin is 7 years old, and it has developed a wonderful complexity, a rich sweetness and a earthy/dried fruit aroma which makes for a memorable smoking experience. The Perique has become less evident, and it is much better integrated. A much more flavorful smoke than from fresh tins! If I have to be nitpicking, it STILL is a bit astringent/drying on the back of the palate (makes me thirsty, and I have to smoke it slowly and occasionally, otherwise I end up with a sore throat), but it is delicious. Like Barbary Coast's bigger and more flamboyant brother. Good stuff.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

I love burely tobacco but this one just didnt make the grade. To strong even for me. Could not realy get to the Perique. To much Virgina in this blend

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Very Strong

Packs a wallop! Generally, this Burley-based mixture is strong for me, but I can handle it once in a blue moon.

It's an excellent concoction that calls to mind midwinter spice foods, like a Christmas fruitcake (the good kind, not the kind you mail to your aunt this year and she mails back next year) or a mincemeat spice pie. But it's a lot less sweet than those foods. And it's got a "salty" undertone, too, which the manufacturer labels as "intriguingly piquant" but which I'd call nearly tangy. I swear there's some Oriental in this tobacco, but the tin label claims not.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I popped the top to this tin the aroma made me think of a nicee hot rum toddy on a cool autumn evening. I also was very pleased with the eye appeal of this weed, dark and light browns to smokey reds and yellows.

Packing this blend was rather straight forward due to the types of cuts, broken flake to ribbon to almost curly cut(from my understanding this is a trademark of Pease Tobaccos). The light up was nice and rich. Flavors ranging from dark sun dried fruits to sweet rum. It has a nice degree of complexity for an aromatic and I like that in a tobacco. You can enjoy this weed around most people and not offend. Toward the next third of the bowl ahh the Perique chimes in nicely giving way to a subtle nutty sweetness. At this stage of the game my nic-addiction was definitely satisfied. The finish was quite deep and rich as well still carrying the overtones of perique with the satisfying nutty sweetness of Virginia. The knock out only left me with a pile of ash and a smile!

I definitely rate this tobacco among the top as far as aromatics go. I wouldn't smoke it all day but sure will put it in my after steak dinner line up. Dark Lord, War Lord who cares he makes some very satisfying tobacco blends. A little pricey but well worth it! Hats off to G.L. Pease.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Haddo's is true enjoyment. The can bouquet, taste, and room note all hint at the same robust 'figs and raisins' flavor with a little Perique tartness. The perique never oversteps its bounds in this mixture. If that is the grail you seek, look no further.

For me, no evening is complete w/o Haddo's but it is not the most consistent product from the get go. I opened the 1st can and this stuff was wetter than Captain Black. 2nd can smoked was only slightly less wet. It's quality stuff, but needs air. I put in a tobacco jar with a loose fitting lid for a week.

Once the mositure issue is dealt with, this weed won't work in a little 3/4" size 4. A 6 is best IMHO. Lots of orange glow and lot of smoke afforded by a big pipe works best.

I won't write poetry about Haddo's, but I like it so much that there are 3 size 6 Cherrywood shaped sitters on my rack devoted to this blend to keep a wide, dry pipe in the rotation each night.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

I enjoyed this blend. It was very good. I like burley and perique blends and this one is certainly very fine. My problem is simply that I was let down a little. I don?t know what I expected but after reading all of the reviews and articles about this blend I expected to be enraptured immediately to pipe smoking heaven and that didn?t happen. I almost wish I had smoked it first without reading about how awesome it was going to be. I much prefer Barbary Coast to this or maybe even Stratford.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I gave this tobacco more chances than any blend I have ever tried. With so many positive reviews I kept trying to find a way to love this tobacco, but I could not. This is quality leaf to be sure, like the other Pease blends I have tried, but the flavor was flat and dull in every pipe I tried. I tried small bowls and large bowls, regular length and churchwardens, in briar, meerschaum and clay, all to no avail. I kept getting a flat, slightly sweet fruit and smokey flavor. I find Dorisco Mixture to be a far better Virginia/Perique blend.

rosczich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rosczich (10)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

as the variety of pros and cons of other reviewers show its a hate or like it tobacco.i like it very much after tasting it in a lot of different pipes. i find the weed smoke best in a smaller sized group 4 bowl. once lightened it goes down to the bowl burning well but increasing an larger amount of nicotine. so i need to smoke it in the evening. best thing is to do nothing else.(as i always do with all of my pipes and tobaccos).tastes a bit like cocoa and dried fruit.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

A friend of mine recommended that I try Haddo's about a year ago. Here we are and I am working on tin # 2. As noted in the thirty-plus other reviews, this one is for the perique lover. I enjoy perique in an understated sort of way; however, Haddo's is too much for me. I do like the kick this leaf has, but I feel that it is too heavy handed. Perhaps it would benefit from some time in the cellar, but as it stands I can't put it in the rotation. NB-I find the room note much more appealing than the tobacco itself. September/04-Of the original 4 tins I purchased in 2002, I smoked 2, traded one and gave the last one to a friend who passed it over to the local pipe club. Last time I attended, it was still there, 2/3 full and not very popular. Doesn't ring my bell, nor those of the pipers I encounter. Enthusiastically overrated.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My first impression was the taste of "grape" on my tongue. I can even taste the sweetness on my gums! I taste an occasional chocolate tone just barely coming through and the perique is there as well. I love the flavor of Haddo's Delight. Alas, I need my beany cap to smoke it as I go flying from the nicotine! I wish I could smoke it more often.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (18)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I can't review this any better than has already been done--just wanted to add a word of warning: although this tobacco is smooth and nuanced like no other, it is also the pangalactic gargleblaster of tobaccos. The aftereffect is truly like being hit with a gold brick wrapped in a lemon.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a great blend from Mr. Pease. I love Va/P's any way, but this took the category to a new height. It has rich dark Va's and a goodly amount of Perique. What really makes this blend a soon to be classic, is the Green River Cav. This stuff is potent. It really adds a depth to the flavor while delivering a nicotene wallop for those of us who enjoy this sort of thing. I can see how this could be too much for a rookie, but it's right up my alley. The perique is intense, so you better really like the stuff or it'll do you in. All in all this will be a baccy I will keep on hand, although I smoke it only occasionally.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

I think this is a fine tobacco to smoke. I do not believe for me it is an everyday smoke, but I enjoyed it very much. My wife thought is was a nice smelling tobacco. It was a little stronger than I thought (that being the reason it isnt an everyday smoke) I will definatley smoke this again.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Has any other blend on tr.c received more reviews than Haddo's? Since it has been reviewed ad nauseum, I will try and keep my notes to a minimum:

While I do like this blend and smoke it on occasion, I don't understand the wildly over-the-top rave by many Haddophiles regarding this stuff. Haddo's is a very good V/P blend, although not usually my first choice in that genre (think 2015).

Positives are a good Virginia flavor, quality leaf and cut (as is always delivered by GLP) and a remarkable consitancy from batch to batch (a very underrated comodity, IMHO).

As many have noted, I do find that this blend is quite unforgiving if not smoked carefully; otherwise a charred tongue and a nicotine-induced buzz can result.

If you haven't tried Haddo's Delight yet (anyone?), by all means do; it is a quality smoke. But do try some of the other outstanding V/P blends as well.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable

"SORRY" Haddo's Delight (Did not delight me) Upon opening the tin I was hit with a very strange odour that reminded me of vinegar.(FOUL AT THAT)It took three light's to get it fired up & then the taste was like vinegar as well! After that passed my nose & throat started to really tickle by the 'very peppery'Perique I would imagine,at this stage I wanted to quit.(Plus now I was sneezing) "No tobacco has had this effect on me before".More than half way through the bowl,I was really asking myself "What all the fuss was about" My tongue felt as though it had an ounce of extremely hot pepper bored into it.All up I have now given tobacco more than a fair trial,by smoking at least five to six bowl's in various pipe's,& my opinion has not altered.I'm very disappointed after hearing so much about Haddo's Delight,but I can't lie.Hope your experience will be more positive.