Specially selected red Virginias from the Old belt and ripe, bright Virginias, sweetened with Louisiana Perique build up this masterpiece of tobacco blending. Flake slices.

BrandSolani

3.4
carolina kid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
carolina kid (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of the best VA-Per flakes on the market. Presentation is lovely and the tin note is to die for -- delicate, ripe and fruity in the way that only pure, natural Virginias can be.

The smoke is smooth and complex. The ripe, fruity tin note actually comes through in the smoke and predominates the flavor. Compared to Escudo, for instance, Solani 633 is fresher, sweeter, a little zesty and more fruit-forward. Solani 633 has some of the cedar and wood-like notes of Escudo, but these are more subdued, adding a bit of complexity to the ripe taste of the Virginia. These notes grow stronger toward the end of the bowl.

Out of the tin the flakes are supple, but not too damp and rub out easily. Well behaved, burns nicely.

A little spendy, but any Virginia lover will enjoy this flake.

Every so often I feel the need to offer a split review of a blend and 633 is one of those blends. First, a new tin greets the nose with the usual plums, figs etc. I really enjoy it because it does have a bit more spice than some other vapers and a bit more "grass like" than Escudo. 633 may be a little too spicy for some vapor lovers. I enjoy these perfectly cut flakes right out of the tin, and like all the Solani tobaccos, it is of high quality leaf. My need for the second part of the review is because for me, hands down, when aged, this becomes one of the best vapors on the market today. The perique mellows quite a bit and the Virginia's become sugary sweet and tangy. It burns slowly and the sweetness is there from beginning to end. It is a total transformation from good to great, really great! Highly, highly recommended!

Update: one important point should be made if you are planning to age this blend. The 100g tins have the tobacco inside of a bag. While it can keep the tobacco from drying for several years, it doesn't age as nearly as well as in the 50g tins. If you love the taste of a well aged VaPer, I would strongly suggest spending a little more for the 50g tins or removing the tobacco in the 100g tin to Mason jars for the best result.

ahmadyuzamir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ahmadyuzamir (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This would be my 4th tin since trying this excellent blend a year ago. What can I say? It is one of the best Va flake available in the market today. Now I know a lot of the nay sayers are going to go bonkers with my claim, but hear or read me out first.

According to the tin description, this is a Va/Per blend and after researching this tobacco I have come to learn that it has been cased in honey. Now for the die-hard Perique fans, the piquant taste that Perique is well known for is somewhat subdued in this blend. On my palette, I can tell that there is Perique added, but in miniscule amounts. Not the type to please fans of SG St James Flake.

Now that i have got the Perique issue out of the way, this blend smokes extremely well. it has the sweetness of the Va amplified by the honey casing. Upon cracking the tin open I am able to detect raisins, figs and off course the honey aroma. Whilst strong contenders like the SG FVF and BBF holds the reigns when it comes to Va sweetness, this blend definitely gives the other two a run for their money.

The plus factor that Solani has nailed on this blend in comparison to the afforementioned SG's is the packaging part. The Flakes are uniformly cut and presented to you at a excellent moisture level. Drying out is optional with this blend, unlike the FVF and BBF.

Within my rotation, opened tins usually last for 2-3 months. By the end of that period, the tobacco smokes perfectly leaving me wanting to stock up on more.

Pipe Used: Pete System, Johnson OSL, Brebbia, Chacom

Purchased From: Kamelah Tobacco House

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (52)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

One of the best presentations to date in a baccy, all three dimensions symmetrical between flakes. Flakes more lemon yellow in color than light brown. I detect a "brighter" hayish tin note than say Dunhill LF, no hint of honey to me anywhere in this blend. Superb quality is evident in the construction of this Solani blend. I cellared tbis tin 9-12 months, vacuum was present, yet the moisture level was dryer than [all] other flakes I've tried. No more than two lights were ever required throughout any bowl, and the baccy burned to ash, without bite.

My only beef(s) with 633 are that first- I taste very little perique anywhere during the smoking of any bowl. Secondly, to me its dainty in the Vit N dept; my preference of Va/PerBur blends of any type are for early morning, in part for the stimulation derived thereof.

Not much help from 633 in that venue.

I would highly recommend this blend to pipers with refined palates, straight Virginia lovers or VaPer enthusiasts adverse to too much spice, and newbs wanting to ease into this genre.

Pipe Used: Meer, Savenelli dedicated to Virginia blends

Age When Smoked: 9-12 months

Purchased From: P & C.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill Light Flake ?.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Tin: From a tin that had been stored for eight months. The hinged, square tin is unique and does not form a vacuum seal. The tobacco is in a plastic bag that is held wrapped with an aggravating sticker that has to be cut. The tobacco is sealed in a bag which is pealed open-unique. The bag was pealed apart and tore-another aggravation. This leaves no way to reseal the tobacco. So it was put in a mason jar.

Tin Aroma: Mixture of bread, hay or cereal.

Appearance: Looks just like Samuel Gawith's FVF. Dark brown, mottled with blonde. A pressed flake in the form of two sets of 1-inch belts that are wound up into two flat coils. Straight out of the tin, it is mostly dry.

Packing: Easily rubs out into small splinters, though which pack readily.

Taste & Aroma: Not really like a strong Vaper, but somewhat bland; somewhat weak musty Perique aroma; close to just a pedestrian VA. Not sour, but not sweet.

In comparison to other VAPERs, the aroma is a mild musty sauteed poblano.

Strength: Certainly not a overly strong Vaper experience at all.

Overall: Packaging was so annoying. 633 provides a cross between a VA and a Vaper profile.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)

Nice tin note. Light colored flakes alternating between streaks of brown and beige. Gravity feed, char, tamp and light gives a nice mellow and deliscious smoke. Beautiful taste when drawn through the nose. The ash is nice and white showing the purity of pure leaf without artificial additives. The perique is there...but not as upfront and centre as I like but it is there. An enjoyable and nice tasting flake.

Pipe Used: Several Peterson's & Missouri Meerschaums

Age When Smoked: 1-2 years jarred and aged

Purchased From: Jades smokers corner

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Last month I cracked my first 150g tin of this. I've had a few tins of the smaller size & found them very good, high-quality leaf, ready to smoke right out of the cans (when aged 2 or 3 yrs). The bag was another animal altogether. Straight off, it was a bit harsh & bity unlike the other tins I'd smoked. They were just a bit sweet, just a hint of Perique spiciness, a nice medium bodied VaPer, altho a bit light on the "Per" side for my taste. The bag, however, was flat & sharp tasting. It was 2 years in the tin, so aging wasn't a problem. What was? I put it in a Ziploc freezer bag & opened it for an hour or so to sniff every now & then for three weeks (I must admit that the sniffing told me nothing at all...). When I finally lit it up after this air time, I was thoroughly delighted to find that it had attained that fine blend of slight sweet grassiness & light spice that the smaller tins had. It has virtually no bite when smoked slowly, and a nice medium-full flavor & aroma that go well with anything from a good book and/or a double espresso, to a fly rod. Well recommended as an intro to the VaPer world for anyone.

Pipe Used: Nice clean clay, meers, Dunnies

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs

Purchased From: JR

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (12)

I scored a tin of 633 at the CORP Expo in Richmond yesterday and cant for the life of me seem to stay away from it. This is a fine VaPer flake. There is just the right amount sweet & spice that just makes this a comfortable all around smoke for me. Dont get me wrong I still like my Escudo which has more of a spicy kick that I like than 633. Both are excellent smokes, but 633 seems to be more refined IMHO.It has behaved well in my Briarbird Hatfield Cutty no matter what method I use either rubbed out or just a smiple fold & stuff it delivers both ways. If your a VaPer fan as I am treat yourself to a tin the next time your at your local Tobac shop or place an on-line order, you will not be disappointed.

Your Brother in Smoke

5/5 Stars

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you enjoy VAPers you should try 633. For me, it's not bad, but not good enough to keep around. I put this one in the same category as Orlik's Golden Sliced and Reiner's 71.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

This is a fine Va/Per. I'd give it four stars but I'm stubborn, and found myself handing out four stars for everything I like. Solani, of course, uses quality tobacco, the flakes lay nice in the tin, have that nice figgy smell when you open it, nice peppery perique, it's all splitting hairs after that. It's a little spendy, but c'mon, you've been lying to your friends and family and string of significant others about what you spend on this “hobby” since you first dropped more than three figures on a pipe, and if you haven't, you better lie to the rest of us because we will cuss the day of your birth. If you love Va/Pers and want a variety of colorful cans on your shelf, this one will not disappoint you. Tell your wife(s) or buddies or mom and dad it was a free sampler that came with that ten dollar S. Bang you had shipped free from Denmark. Aw, what the hell, four stars.

J0r3n Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J0r3n (2)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A little too mild in the flavor section for me. Burns very smooth to a gray ash. I've noticed as this tin dries out it becomes less and less flavorful. I found no sweetness in my batch.

Recommended to try. Probably will not return to it though.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

As the name states, the tobacco comes as a flake, and is a blend of bright Virginia and perique. Perique is an interesting tobacco, with a rich and deep aroma on its own, and blends nicely with Virginias. I'm probably wrong, but everything about this blend reminds me of Mac Baren. The immediate tin aroma was of fermented fruits and fermented Virginia, and the tin looks very much like the tin in which Mac Baren's Navy Flake is sold. Initially, the tin aroma actually threw me a bit.

Forging ahead, I took out the tobacco, which almost looked more like a cake than flakes. This tobacco is very moist, making the flakes a bit difficult to separate. They sort of peel apart in strips. However, once removed they rub out nicely into a sort of ribbon-cut appearance. Because of the moisture content I packed the first pipe a bit more loosely than I usually do, and I think that was a good idea. The draw felt just right when I first set flame to the tobacco.

My first thought when I had it lit? Wow! I wasn't really expecting too much, in part because I didn't want to be disappointed and in part because I bought the tobacco having not heard of this particular blend. I found a nice, rich, sweet taste from the Virginia, and the perique added a sort of fruitiness reminiscent of a stoved Virginia and a spiciness reminiscent of McClelland's 2035. Several people who were around me during the first bowl commented on the pleasant aroma of the tobacco. The main flavor is dry and sweet, and the spicy and fruity undertones are exceptionally pleasant and smooth.

Several subsequent smokes have confirmed to me that this tobacco is a keeper. It DGTs well, smokes surprisingly dry for as moist as it is in the tin, and provides a smoking flavor and experience that rates up there with my favorites.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

Throughout my perils in search of the perfect mixture (meaning the one blend that I must always have on stock) I have encountered this fine tobacco, and so, I must say this is The One. When it comes to exciting my taste and smell I am a spice addict. I've tried to Irish Oak and thought "good, but there must be something better", I've made my own perique blends, but without great success. Conclusion: this tobacco is excellent, tobaccoey taste with just enough spice to make it perfect. Burns great, no tongue bite, white ashes for long lasting smoking pleasure.

NOTE: goes great with coffee (I'll try it also with black tea and I will let you know)

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

633 is a beautiful experience. Perfectly rectangular pressed flakes. It's a uniform, clean, and tidy presentation.

It rubs out easily and quickly, and the moisture content is almost perfect straight from the tin. One flake, rubbed out and dried to your taste, gives the perfect amount of tobacco for a ninety minute smoke. It needs to be kept in an airtight container, or with some foil under the lid, to keep it from drying out too much.

The Virginia dominates the first third of the bowl, with the Perique coming in a little later, but the Perique is not overly heavy. The nicotine content is medium, not too strong. 633 tastes great, not as full as some VaPers. It burns down to a fine white ash.

If there is a downside, it is a mild medicinal odor that it shares with Reiner's Long Golden Flake, both from the same blender. Some might say that it is a very consistent smoke, almost always the same from pipe to pipe. Others might say it is blandly predictable. For these reasons, it is NOT in my regular rotation, but I recognize that it is a favorite of many others.

It is best in large bowled pipes, and it must be smoked very slowly, or you lose the sweetness of the Virginias. Good with coffee in the a.m. on the porch in the sunshine. My wife loves the smell of it!

A good tobacco, worth a try maybe, but only two stars from me for its somewhat bland taste, and the casing.

DocAlamo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DocAlamo (2)

This is my first review of a tobacco on TR. I have been reading the reviews forever, but finally decided to join in and put in my two cents. I chose one of my most favorite tobaccos ... Solani 633.

I smoke primarily Virginia and VaPers with at least one bowl a day of a fine English. All my pipes are dedicated to certain types of tobacco. For this review, I chose a RQ small billard that is about a group 3 in size ... just right for me to smoke a flake. First of all, this is one of a few tobaccos that is just right out of the tin (100g tin is what I buy). The moisture is perfect. I folded the flake just enough to fit in the pipe and leave a little room at the top for some rubbed out to assist in lighting.

This is a most delicious VaPer. While Escudo, another one of my all time favorites, is more "peppery" this one is more "spicy" in nature. The virginias dominate in the beginning, with the perique taking play in and out for the first 2/3 of the bowl. However, towards the end, for me at least, the perique really jumps into the front. I sip this blend to enjoy every bit of the tobacco and allow the flavors to entice me at every turn. What a marvelous tobacco. The tobacco burns very cool, and so incredibly dry. There is a richness to this smoke that is hard to put into words adequately. It is one of the few tobaccos that I absolutely love each and every time I fire it up in a bowl. This great tobacco is why I smoke a pipe!

I guess, if forced to choose between Escudo and Solani 633, I would have to opt for this champagne of VaPers; but, I hope I am never forced to make that choice. I have plenty of both on hand and will never anticipate running out of either.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This flake and St. James Woods were my foray a decade ago into what are now regularly referred to as VAPER blends. It has no deficits and ages grand. One flake lasts easily over an hour for me and oh the joy that 633 comes as full flakes. Why package tobacco as broken flake, when whole flakes are possible and breaking flake is so easy for those who wish for that form?

To my nose, there seems some sort of treatment to the leaf, but not artificially flavored or noticeably sweetened. There are solid Virginia flavors and a nice spice from the Perique, with enough complexity and flavor migration to keep me interested until it is dry ash. I note a touch of that fermented aroma when opening the tin akin to what many associate with vinegar or ketchup in McClelland's Virginia offerings.

I have come to enjoy this more than R. Will's Long Golden Flake, his other VAPER, which happens to have a touch of white burley and seems heavier in casing and is a touch flavored to my nose. LGF also bites me a bit. I like the balance and traditional character in 633.

My go-to VAPER flakes are Escudo, Fillmore, Three Nuns, St. James Woods and 633. My only complaint with them all is that they cannot be purchased in bulk for savings, except for Fillmore's 8oz. & 16oz. tins.

633 is sweeter on the spectrum than say Fillmore, not as much as Escudo or Three Nuns and closest to SJW. As to the Perique, 633 probably has less than my aforementioned VAPER favorites and more than Stokkebye's LNF and LBF.

Rudiger L. Will is Germany's Pease and is far and away the most adept blender on the European continent.

HoopleHead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HoopleHead (11)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my absolute favorite blend, though I'm pretty fickle on that count. I like periques and also highly enjoy H&H Anniversary Kake. Others I smoke fairly regularly are Louisiana Red and Sunza Bitches also by H&H, as well as Pease's Fillmore. I smoke a single bowl of 633 around 9 each evening and that satisfies me more than any other tobacco... though I do often finish the night off a few hours later with a great Wills pipe filled with Larry's Blend cut 25% with a secret mix I add and age.

The Solani 633 is heavenly for me. I light it when I am ready to concentrate on the pleasure of the best smoke of the day, saving it like I would save a special dessert for just the right moment.

It rubs out very easily and packs nicely and consistently. I've never tried to dry it out other than just the natural drying that happens in the tin once the original seal is broken. I light it then tamp the crown and relight... then it burns clear to the bottom unless I lay the pipe down for some reason. As it burns I enjoy tastes and scent whiffs that just blow me away, especially the top third of the bowl. Then the VA and nicotine kick in and the remaining 2/3 of the bowl is simple ecstasy... literally a trip. I have no way to describe this exquisite feeling other than saying it lifts me out of my mood and swirls me into oblivion. I love it. Smoked in a Bari Ruby, very very slowly, allowing the smoke to simply breath in with a loose seal between lips and stem, so some air enters... it swirls around my tongue and then escapes slowly to be sniffed in and inhaled through my nose... and relished.

From Utopia, TX ... havagoodun!

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

This tobacco is one of my favorite Vapers. While others find it too sweet I think it?s just right, and while maybe it doesn?t quite reach the level of true Vaper classics such as Bell?s 3 Nuns or Cope?s Escudo, it is still a very fine mixture.

Appearance: This is one of the more beautiful tobaccos I?ve ever seen. Very finely cut flakes pressed into a very tight cake which appeals to the senses visually and tactilely as one rubs it out, which I seldom do to any great extent.

Tin aroma: Initially, I smell very ?bright? Virginias, and citrus, followed by deeper caramel and earthy tones. There is the quality of freshly mown hay, and a deep stewed fig kind of a smell I associate with perique.

This tobacco is very easy to rub out, though lately I find myself only rarely rubbing out a flake tobacco mixture. I find for me, I simply roll flakes up and gently inserting them works better, giving a longer more even burn. Some times I rub a small portion out for the ?top portion? to facilitate even lighting.

Lighting usually is a single match affair, though once in awhile if I pause or just let the pipe go out, I might have to re-light it. This is a very easy going easy burning tobacco that almost smokes itself if packed correctly. The initial flavor is very hay like and somewhat light almost giving me the impression that it?s going to be too light for my smoking preferences. The flavors build slowly and the brightness of high grade Virginia tobaccos are joined in wider and wider circles of flavor with perique peeking in from time to time. Though not what I would call a complex taste, there are subtle changes from time to time to keep things interesting. I begin to catch some of the coming depth of flavors; this is not a monochromatic blend at all.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the brightness is joined by deepening tones, earthy and full. If exhaled nasally the brightness is still very much there, when inhaled, tones of caramel and figs are present (the best inhaling method being the ?French curve? out of the mouth and gently inhaled side stream through the nose). There is a very mild (natural) sweetness to the blend, a sweetness like molasses or raw honey, which is only ?just there? barely perceptible. While this mixture is pretty mild to me, there is strength to it, and the volume of smoke it produces even when sipped carefully is quite full. This is the kind of smoke which makes me put my feet up and hold the smoke in my mouth letting its buttery silkiness dance around my pallet.

Home Stretch: All of the starting elements are still there; the Virginia richness and the subtle amount of perique adding it pepper and spice in one of the gentlest and well behaved of all offerings in the Vaper category. This often smokes down to very little dottle leaving fine ?salt and pepper? ash. While #633 never really develops into a complex masterpiece like Escudo, or 3 Nuns, it deepens nicely to a very dry smoking winy goodness one expects from fine Virginia tobacco.

Supplemental Notes: This is becoming one of my more often reached for Vapers. For those interested in numbers **

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

"Nectar of the gods"..."God, I love Périque!"...I can fully echo these sentiments, and cherish this V & P flake accordingly. Sweet, spicy, heady...SOLANI 633 is almost pornographically good! (And like many violent pleasures, it can do things to you, if you really overindulge.)

Taste it slowly and deeply, like a good boy.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Note: I have been smoking this consistently and concomitantly with REINER LONG GOLDEN FLAKE, another memorable creation by Herr Will. Excellent as this is, LONG GOLDEN has a subtle richness and roundness that mark it as the choice between the two. This one has, NOT coincidentally...MORE PERIQUE. Lovelay.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

Im a fan of VaPer so i like this blend too. This blend is kind a different with other VaPer that i usually smokes, the tin notes is similar with chinese green tea leaves that i usually bought. Came in slices flakes the tobacco is not too difficult to pack and doesnt need to rub it anymore, just make a tiny ball and then pack it firmly in to my pipe.

To maintain light this blend is quite difficult, need a good cherring light and several relight at first 3 minutes. I must light it carefull and prevalent to ensure that the tobacco surface had burnt well and i can draw and puff it easily. And i must tell you, this tobacco has a bite potential so must draw it carefull and smoke it slowly, if not it will harm your tongue.

After 3 minutes, the pleasant journey is starting. Great smokes with a mature virginia taste came and fulfill my mouth. A medium citrus like scent taste very good at my tongue and the smell is quite pleasant for me. And for good, the green tea flavor is come again, following the sweetness of the virginia. i dont know if this blend had flavor added or not but this taste is new for me since im a fan of Vaper. Peppery taste came quite stronger when i draw it little bit hard to get a great smokes but i can enjoy it well and very like it.

With all afford to enjoy this blend, i still highly recommend this blend. i really like the taste of this blend. The nic kick is not too strong, with a medium taste. And i have feeling if i got another tin and keep it for aging i sure this blend will be more great.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bamboo

TattooGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TattooGuy (9)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a fine VaPer. Very nice presentation and aromas from the tin. Great virginia taste with more sweetness and something spicy from the perique that makes this blend very satisfying. Great quality tobaccos. 3.5 stars

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (30)

This is a very good blend.

Something between VA and VA/Per. VAs are sweet as candy, and "Per" part is a little bit low, although it pinches your nose when you french inhale. I've smoked better VA/Pers in my life, but all of them are unique in their own way, this one too. There's something very unique and interesting in it, the sweetness and that strange sensation of nostril tickling makes it adorable. I bought a 100g tin, which is not vacuum sealed. Nor is the plastic bag inside, so I've put it in a jar and aged it for a month. It gets better and sweeter with ageing, you can tell by only a month of "jaring" it. Room note is awesome, my wife nearly liked it, so I put "pleasant" for the fist time for non aromatic tobacco. Someone may find the fact that it doesn't change it's aroma pattern much through the bowl a boring thing, but that "steadiness" here is a good thing. It doesn't get darker as it advances to the bottom, it stays sweet and tasty. Highly recommended

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: 1 month after arriving

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

As someone who occasionally likes a dash of this and that on a good Virginia base, I am often disappointed by a single element overwhelming the flavour. This seems to happen particularly with Va/Per and Va/Bur blends, I speak for my taste only, of course, others enjoy a substantial helping of these other components and that of course is just fine.

But then sometimes I come across a blend which, to my mind, gets it just so, namely the underlying Virginia is of quality and shines through, whilst the other elements contribute their specialism in the background. This is just such a blend.

A beautifully prepared flake greets the eye and then the tin note gives you a classic damp, grassy, ever-so-slightly honeyed aroma on the nose. The moisture level in my example was just about spot on, leading to an easy rub out, a few minutes left aside and the broken flake slipped easily through the fingers and packed without issue.

On lighting, the Virginia makes its sweet presence felt, the mouth feel can only be described as soft. Joining the party is a delicate hint of spice, not so as to punish the snork though as can happen with this type of mixture. A mellow and balanced smoke.

Some hardened Perique lovers may regard this as a bit namby-pamby for their tastes. Conversely, those who sometimes crave a little something extra with their Va, but have been put off by overpowering experiences in the past, may just find something they like here. Me? I love it!

Highly recommended.

The Virginias are rather complex with some citrus, hay and grass notes, and are a little tangy, too. The perique is at a near perfect level with some spice, fig, and light raisin flavors. It burns cool and slow, but loses a bit of the taste if it's dry, so I recommend leaving it a little moist. It's gentler than some of the VaPers I like, which I consider to be a great plus. I can smoke it several times a day without tiring of it. A world class blend with high quality tobaccos. It ages very well, becoming even more sublime. It may be a little pricey, but it's worth it.

NJA62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NJA62 (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I did not experience any sweetness or fruitiness as described by others. Pepper came through enough to be noticable but not overbearing. Stays lit (rubbed out flake) leaving a nice white ash to the end of the bowl. 633 smokes cool and even all the way through. Mellows towatds the end, and i actually enjoyed it better. For me, its a little bit of a flat tasting blend, aside from the perique. I have a whole tin and will smoke a few more bowls. The end of the bowl may have granted a stay for this tin. I do prefer araomatics, but have other non aros that i turn to now and again. I will smoke a few more bowls and update this review if anything should change. Oh, my Lady did not care for the room note.

Taraban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taraban (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant

Awful, never again! // I can smoke it, I won't buy it // = Quite good, worth trying // * Must-have, I'm happy

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

From an aged (11 year) sample -- I don't find the sweetness others mention. but this is a really well-balanced VaPer. If you like your VaPers on the strongish but not overly-powerful side, this is the flake to try!

edit: based a sealed non-hinged tin (see the above review)aged at least one year. The hint of sweetness was in this tin, but just a whisper. I'll take their word it was honey.

Old-China-Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old-China-Pipe (3)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I love this blend. 633 is strong (nicotine) without being rich/complex. Exhaled through the nose reveals the slight spice of the perique and direct from the bowl comes beautiful sweet musty nose. (I only rated the Room Note as "Tolerable to Strong" based on the wife's comments - I personally love it).

Art Pagano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Art Pagano (6)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a surprising find. Every time I smoke a bowl of this blend, I think to myself, what a wonderful smoke...sweet and spicy. I would highly recommend you try a bowl. You won't be disappointed.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first tried Solani 633 back in 2007 and was pleasently surprised with what was a wonderful high quality sweet virginia flake with just the right amount of perique. It burned beautifully all the way to a fine grey ash with rich smooth lightly sweet smoke and not a hint of tongue bite. This was one tobacco I stocked up on just in case it disappeared off the market or changed in some way as often happens in the tobacco world. Of course my supply ran out all too soon and 5 years later I picked up another 3 tins while on holiday in Malaysia. I must say I don't know if Solani 633 has changed or simply I have been spoilt for so long with other quality offerings, but it simply is not as good as I remember it. That's not to say I was disappointed, it just seemed a little less sweet, smooth and well balanced. Overall, it's still a great tobacco and perhaps it's that consistency between batches that is the main issue. Definitely recommneded.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

I think this is one of the finest VaPers available.

The quality of the product in the tin is unmistakable. No shake, no stems, just carefully produced consistent flakes.

With aging, this stuff gets really really lovely... the brashness of the perique mellows down a bit so the whole ensemble is a bit more harmonious. The virginias are top notch. I am part way through a bowl of a small sample that was 10+ years old, and it's absolutely wonderful.

The virginias are fairly light and bright, not stoved, and offset by a moderate amount of perique. (Similar in style to Escudo or PS LNF.)

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I concur with 'SteelCowboy' (below) concerning the aging. You'd do well to try and keep your hands off it for 6-12 months (or more) before you open it. It does transform it into an otherwordly blend, and the more you age it, the more rewarded you will be. For sure one of the best vaper's I've smoked.

When fresh, it can be like some of the other reviewers suggest; harsh, bitter, etc., and over-the-top with the perique. But a little time really does make all the difference. Very flavourfull, sweet, tart and silky on the tongue and palate. Really really good stuff. I have no other choice than to give it four stars.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First impression was poor, but after letting it air out it became a perfect VAPer, highly recommended.

Bike Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bike Pipes (10)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginia Flake (VF) stands well on its own and doesn't remark to being compared against Escudo or Hal O'the Wynd, notwithstanding that I don't think this was Solani's intention either. The tin presentation is that of very neatly cut and placed flakes of identical shape and size, the aroma exuded by these flakes is pleasant; vaguely reminiscent of dry grass and not sharp or citrus-like.

The flavors imparted by flame are smooth and rich, straightforward VA with a noticeable dose of perique. Smoke perception on the tongue is not at all spicy, nor is it bland but an occasional nasal exhale will remind you that there is perique is the blend. Having smoked this in large and small bowls the flavor is quite uniform, a personal indication of a quality blend. The amount of nicotine absorbed into the bloodstream is more than mild, but unlikely to knock you of your feet. As for room note, it's just straight forward tobacco, no scents or toppings linger in the air.

I recommend this for VaPer fans, it is definitely up there with Escudo and HOTW; albeit, not to be directly compared.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)

I love Solani 633. I love Escudo. If I had to pick between the two (God forbid) I think I'd go with Solani 633. It's just a matter of personal taste. For me 633 is just a little better behaved in the pipe than Escudo. I find it to be a bit sweeter and smoother for a fast smoker like myself. I have never roasted my tounge with 633 and the mellow, grassy, citrus flavor remains for the entire bowl. I don't detect any topping but thats not to say none is there. Tin aroma is a crazy reason for loving a blend but I swear I this is the finest I've run across. I could spend an evening just sitting around huffing a freshly popped tin! Solani 633 is certianly one of my favorites and IMHO a very underated tobacco. I urge you give it a try.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma suggests a mild topping. I can't describe what it might be. It smokes mild & cool with an initial sweet flavor that subsides as the bowl progresses. Stays mild, smokes cool & doesn't get harsh at the end.

This is a good VA/Per blend but I found myself drawing too hard for more tobacco strength & flavor which also seemed to dissipate after about half way down...became rather bland...a little "wimpy", as it were. I prefer at least a medium strength in this genre of blends. I have always enjoyed smoking a good VA/Per. However...

This was reminiscent of Long Golden Flake, also blended by R. L. Will. I prefer Escudo over either for the same reasons. For greater strength and more tobacco flavor, try Escudo or maybe some Marlin Flake, C & D Perique blends, McClellands & a few other brands that are a far better choice, IMHO, of course! Escudo was one of my firsts into a forray of VA/Per blends. I intend to always have aged Escudo & other Perique blends stashed in a section of my modest cellar.

633 is not a bad smoke in this genre. Certainly better than others but it did not make my top twenty...or thirty & doubt I'll purchase another. Always a pleasure to try something new though, if nothing else but to make comparisons. Therefore, IMHO, Solani 633 Blend merits three stars.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A true flake in a flat tin - always perks up the excitement for me. Mostly light in color, the flakes stay "flakey" in the tin. I preferred this one at tin moisture, which is weird for me with flakes. But the more I dried this one, the less flavorful it became.

I can best describe the taste of this one as Orliks Golden Sliced with the addition of perique. There was a very noticeable citrus flavor but, whereas I found it wearing over time with the GS, the perique in this blend made it work wonderfully. The perique's zestiness and piquancy offset the VA's sweetness with an excellent balance as the result. This blend exhibited no aberrations such as tongue bite, excessive relights, heaviness in the throat or tobacco infighting. It was far from complex but just a good, non-threatening smoke. I don't consider this one of the worlds great VaPers, but it was a pleasant smoke and one I'll come back to from time to time. I tend to prefer a little "darkness" in my blends, and this one was a bit too steered toward the lighter flavors. But anyone who prefers that taste should absolutely buy some of this and it could become a compelling favorite.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

FIRSTLY; Do NOT BE Affraid 2Try this TOB...A lot of Smoker's(Me included,see PERIQUE in the ingredients)won't try a Mix that has PeriQue...Unless Someone gives me a Free Bowl! This is a"Very-Mild"Virginia Mix...with Very-Little-Perique...In my opinion(I don't Know why,they even list Perique,as an Ingredient)I find this Tobacco Almost a Close Cousin2 DAN-TOB`s(Limerick) RECOMMENDED !

221B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221B (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been trying Virginia tobaccos now for around two years and this is my first VaPer. I must say, it is quite nice! I think I prefer the addition of Perique to the mix. I took a nice slice out of the tin yesterday and rubbed it out onto my bar. I then let it dry for about an hour before putting it into my pouch.

I decided to go sporting clay shooting yesterday as well, so I took along a medium bowl rustic Stanwell. This blend smoked well in there and I think the nicotine level is a little higher than most blends I am used to. It was a pleasant buzz however and I enjoyed it.

A nice walk through the woods, shooting a fine over n under 20 gauge, and this nice new blend (new for me). Its a keeper!

japanpipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
japanpipeman (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Beautiful presentation and really nice to work with! The taste is great too, especially with the zesty perique. I'm a slight man, so I can't take the dose of nicotine from a full flake, but the flakes are so nicely made that they're easy to cut down to a more manageable size for me. This is wonderful tobacco. I'm only giving it three stars because latakia and orientals are more to my taste. If you like virginia and perique, this is definitely four stars.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The flakes are compressed and hard. The tin aroma is fantastic. After airing these flakes they pack and burn better.

It smokes cool and slow. The sweet Virginias are rounded well with spicy Perique. If you love the Va-Per blends this one may be one of your favorites. Be careful with your puffing cadence, it may bite and the Perique may become harshful.

Even though it is a strong tobacco, can be smoked all day by those who love Va-Per blends..

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is high quality tobacco. Solani 633 comes in rather large precise flakes assorted very neatly in the tin (pretty much the opposite from a sam gawith presentation). they have a pretty straight forward smell in the tin - the usual hay and figs.. I find half a flake easily fills the bowl of my small peterson barrel pipe. smoking qualities: very easy flake to smoke.. not much relighting required.. smokes fairly cool at a slow pace. one of my best flake experiences overall. tobacco qualities: mellow yet flavorful.. this is a great combination of virginia and perique. a little more spicy than escudo.. but it has some of the same characteristics.. very nice and earthy. there is a pleasant mustiness that reminds me a little of old gowrie.. oddly pleasant dusty attic kind of thing (hard to put into words) dried fruit comes to mind. The most addictive of the recent vapors i have tried (dorchester, st james, escudo, scottish cake) overall, this could be my new favorite. 633 gets some mixed reviews but for me it is well worth the price.. maybe not as complex as escudo.. but equally as satisfying - and with a certain flavor that i find very interesting.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another masterpiece from the folks at Solani! Balance is the name of the game here. The VAs and the Perique don't fight for dominance, but are both very vocal....I guess that makes sense! As usual I get the best out of my flakes by rubbing them out rather than the old fold and stuff. I just prefer the easier smoke and the lack of relights. Tin moisture is right where I like it, it smells heavenly with that tangy Perique woven into the rather large flakes that take up half the tin. I don't know about you, but this is in the desert island cellar with 4 or 5 other classics.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Isn't it amazing that all these VA/Per blends are basically the same, but always taste different? No two VA/pers you try will ever taste alike. We all have taste receptors that respond differently to certain blends because most every blend has a flavor enhancement additive, even though you may not detect it. The topping in this blend wasn't to my liking & tasted better after most of it had burned off. Just because I wasn't crazy about the flavor means nothing. I'm sure it will appeal to many, just as the taste of say...Three Nuns, Escudo or Sunday Picnic appeals to me more than #633 or Reiner's LGF, although they are all fine tobaccos.

I've noticed that many quality blends get the occassional "uno" star simply because someone's taste receptors were used for rating the flavoring instead of judging the quality of the tobacco & its smoking characteristics. Whatever, this is a good presentation & much better after a little airing. Extra wide, mottled flakes are neatly & evenly packed to precisely fit the tin dimensions.

This is a very smooth and weightless smoke without harshness or bite that can be smoked right out of the tin, or dried a little, depending on one's smoking preference. The tobacco flavor becomes more prevalent about mid bowl. I feel this is a good value in that there is very little moisture contained therein. This blend is a pretty good VA/Per & IMHO, Solani's Virginia Flake w/Perique, Blend #633 merits three s*s!!

DrFretboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrFretboard (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco is the first Perique blend I've tasted and for me it's a keeper. The Perique adds a wonderful herbal or spicey character to the otherwise somewhat neutral tobacco flavor.

The smell from the tin reminds me mostly of (frysian) rye bread. I tend to think that in the distant background there's a hint of oak in the smell, reminding me of whiskey.

To me the taste resembles more that of a good hot meal with great spices than a sweet snack.

I tend to pluck flakes apart and fill the pipe that way, which makes it easy to keep the pipe lit, so a bowl burns to the bottom really easy for me.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This blend of Virginias and Perique is bright, sweet, and spicy. It can make my nose itch to almost a sneeze at first lighting, yet the blend is not overly peppery. The taste of the Virginias is balanced with the Perique so that one does not dominate the other. The aroma in the tin is wonderful. The flakes are neatly stacked inside the tin and the moisture level is just right. I would compare this blend to Astley #2, Three Nuns, and Escudo. At present I place the Solani slightly in the lead. It is an excellent blend and when I get a taste for it nothing else will do.

Pipe Lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Lover (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I generally don't smoke Virgina's, but once I smoked a few bowls of Solani 633...I was in love. I enjoy blends with Perique, so I figured this was going to be a nice blend.

This blend is a cool and smooth smoke. I was a bit afraid of the Virginia, since they tend to smoke hot for me. However, this was not the case for Solani 633. Give it a try!

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)

This is truly an excellent VaPer...in truth, IMO, the best of this genre. The Perique is quite pronounced, and exquisitely more unto black pepper than a spice. Mild to medium sweetness eluded by the Virginias. This easily shames the current Escudo that is in the marketplace.

Highest recommendation.

A companion infusion: a Rhône Syrah with its essence of raspberry, blackcurrant and pepper.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

Well, I also got a couple of 50grms tins of this from Amsterdam. Now that the first is about to finish - and the second will stay in my cabined for aging - it's time to review.

Nice square and flat tin, of the like of the current UF by Peterson or Scottish Flake by McConnell. The tin aroma is inequivocably VaPer, in the sense of hayish bright Va's plus the raisiny-vinegarish note of Per. I don't detect any topping, it's all very much natural. A dozens - or bit more - of well separate flakes are stacked in two rows. They are more dry than wet, coming from a very "compressed" cake, mixing colours from the brightest Virginia to the deep dark brown of the Perique.

I have wasted my time to study over this by a couple of Mastro (a straight apple and a quarter-bent Woodstock) which I had back restored, before understanding they were not the right pipes... My half-bent rhodesian rusticated Brebbia is now giving me the best idea of how 633 smokes (at 1/5 the price of each the other two). One flake properly rubbed, stuffed not much loose, and here we go. Needs a couple of light & tamps, then it proceeds very steady giving a mixed salt & pepper dry ash.

633 delivers a smoke in the perfect tradition of VaPer's, something very close to Escudo, just a bit "drier" aroma of natural Va and condimental Per. This sweet and peppery combination is remarkably smooth and medium, without any aggressive tang. A perfect all-day (who cares ?) smoke, and even a better one as first pipe of the day (my reviews started at 08:30AM and will end in a hour and half, this is how long a flake is smoking). To the nose notes of biscuit, the ones which I like so much. The room note is something I appreciate when I'm back from an unsmoked room, but being the wife's rating...

My throat tell me that strength builds up from medium-mild to medium-strong.

Airing of the tin, in the sense that the best from 633 comes after the tin stays unsealed a month before use, is a strong reccomendation.

Very nice smoke, hope to get more tins to age.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I initially wrote in to include this on the review as I thought it was called Virgina Flake. After reading reviews, I noticed it was called 633 and already included in the reviewed tobacco. So much for white print on a yellow background. A beautiful flake when opening the tin. Rubs out perfectly and burns slowly leaving a nice ash. I initially thought this blend was quite strong. Although I usually don't like a blend lacking latakia, this was a nice change of pace. The perique was perfect and added that extra tang. I do not think it is an everyday smoke though as it is quite strong. I initially smoked it in a medium sized Gepetto Italian briar and it was the perfect size for such a blend...at least for me. Given the strength, a large bowl would be too much Virginan but that is from someone who usually always smokes something with at least a bit of latakia in the blend. A nice sour note on the taste buds. The room note was very pleasant expecially if there are folks in the room who are opposed to latakia. I will continue to review to see how the blend fares at different times of day with a different pipe. Now, and only after one pipe, I rate it only a two star but then that first pipe was after a few others and late in the evening so my taste buds could have been burnt out. More or the review to come later.

Update: I initially gave this a 2 star but after smoking other Virginan's this is nice. Now about six months later than my original post, going through my 3rd tin and find this one of my favorite VS/Perique blends. The presentation in the tin is beautiful with beautiful pressed flake. Prepared it by cutting into small cubes with a scissors and but into a #3 Dunhill White Dot Billard. What a nice smoke! Cool, balenced and leaving a beautiful white ash. I have dedicated this pipe to this blend as the small bowl is a nice way to capture the nuances of both the sweet Va and the perique. Like this after a big Sunday breakfast...robust enough to get me to lunch. Will buy a few tins and store it as I do think it will age well.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

Update on 6/5/2008

I just have to bump this a star since it was noticeably better (sweeter and less hay-like) after I let it sit on the shelf for a couple of months. I'll pick up another tin sometime and let it age about 6 months before I open it and I suspect this will get even better.

Original Review on 3/11/2008 Follows

A low grade Virginia that I only managed to smoke due to the nice shot of Perique. A real disappointment from the company that makes one of the best blends ever - Luxury English Mixture (779). Go try Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Old Gowrie or even McClelland's 2015 to move up a few stars.

Because this blend has received so many favorable reviews, I decided to give it a try even though I'm not a perique fan. I find the Louisiana leaf (which has to be molested almost beyond belief before it is considered smokeable) to detract rather than add to most blends.

Having said the above, 633 really is interesting. It is spicy, strong and very flavorful. Each puff gives you an added feature. I did need to keep my puffing cadence down to prevent harshness and a nip to the tongue from developing.

I smoked just one bowl from the tin, and will probably not smoke another, so, the tobacco bar at my pipe club will gain a new member this month.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)

I took a chance on this one, since I don't normally smoke vapers. The tobacco seem to be a good quality and the flakes are easily manageable. The moisture content was right on target when you pop open the tin. It does seem to dry out very quickly, at least with the tin I got anyway. Because of this I dropped it down from a 3 star to a 2 star rating. Otherwise, this seems to be a very good blend. As others have stated previously, there doesn't seem to be too much perique in this, but the virginias seem to pick up the slack somewhat with its sweet taste. The nicotine level is a bit on the low end for me. It does smoke down to a nice ash at the bottom of the pipe. Overall, I would recommend this if you want to give a vaper a go.

mskywalker2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mskywalker2000 (11)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Adstringent, bitter and lacking flavor. Like smoking extra dry hay sprinkled with cracked black pepper.

vonveress Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vonveress (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Treat this tobacco with the respect it deserves and smoke it gently, you'll find a true treasure.

Very relaxing and inspiring.

epicouros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
epicouros (1)

Very classy tobacco. Easy burning, deep and intense taste, smooth smoke. Its a premium tobacco.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

I don't know if it is the type of Perique used, but my tastebuds did not agree with this offering.

Again, the quality is obvious, but there was something in the taste that I did not like.

It happens...Nothing I can do about it!

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I love the roofing tile flakes! What a terrific presentation!

Each flake is a tender slab of VaPer goodness. This is the first VaPer I've tried that opened the door for me to appreciating this wonderful genre. The Perique here seems to me applied truly as a condiment that complements while bringing out the predominantly grassy, creamy virginia.

Not a regular in my rotation, but a very nice flake that I will revisit every so often.

Aesthete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aesthete (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My first introduction to VaPers and still my favorite. Quality Virginia and Perique which burns well and smokes with a sweet, peppery flavor and no tongue bite. IMHO, this is what a VaPer should be. My only regret is that it costs a little more.

Mendon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mendon (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am new to pipe smoking- quitting cigarettes for the briar- and tobaccos like Solani blend 633 are why I switched. This tobacco has been great in teaching me smoking patience- it will burn hot and wet if you try to smoke it too quickly. The tin smells nice- like very fresh hay- and looks classy. Room note is a bit strong to smoke it in my small apartment. I highly recommend this tobacco to fans of perique and virginias, and be sure to smoke it to the end. Spicy, full, and (in my opinion) delicious.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very pleasant, nice smell off the tin. Smokes well, lots of flavor. Topped with honey, considered a classic Danish tobacco by the company who makes it. Peppery and sweet, it carries a nicotine punch if smoked fast. One of the best Va/Per flake around and yet a surprisingly unassuming tobacco.

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)

A bench mark vaper. love it, have about thirty tins aging. expensive but worth it. best in a smaller pipe and with a little air time. on hot summer days i taste chocolate cake with a raspberry wisp. sometimes i swear i taste buttered broccoli. i love the interplay between sweet and vegetal. one of the best out there.

Brakepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brakepipe (5)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sold to me on recommendation while buying FVF. Being from Louisiana and having cut my teeth on Perique in the form of "Picayune" cigarettes I can attest that this blend contains the "real thing", and a fair amount of it. Light years beyond Fillmore in flavorful perique, rich VA and ease of smoking. The presentation is exquisite. Smoked as a flake broken in thirds and stuffed into a medium bowl with medium lighting difficulty.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Half way through my tin of this, opened it about three weeks ago and it's hitting perfect smoking pitch now...a no-nonsense mature VA flake, not overly bitey or sweet...the Perq sits very much in the background, barely noticeable. It is quality for sure but it does miss a "WOW" factor, that said, that's also its strong point...recommended...maybe a 3.5 stars but I don't see it worthy of a four...but if you like an honest VA flake and a wee pinch of Perq, you will not be unhappy with your thinner wallet.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Althouth I like Va/per tobaccos, this one has a little more perique than I enjoy. Nonetheless a quality product with a beautiful presentation.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A wonderful high grade Virginia /Perique blend. I do not like Latakia, but I've grown quite fond of Perique blends. Here, you have the sweetness of Virginia with the body and slightly spicy undertaste of Perique. I give this Va/Per tobacco an "A".

bigdummy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigdummy (6)

I've been bouncing between 633 and Escudo for about a month now in my Vaper rotation and working in a little PS Bullseye Flake and some Stratford to keep me grounded. I have come to the conclusion that this is my personal fave Vaper at the moment (Filmore doesn't really count - it's in another class altogether). There is quite a bit of Perique in this blend, as in Escudo, but the Virginias in 633 seem more inclined to play along with the Perique instead of playing in counterpoint as in Escudo (and Stratford for that matter) without being as sweet as the PSBF. This is not a heavy sweetness like the stoved Virginia base of 2015 or Dunbar either - these are red and lemon Virginias that are quite simply and perfectly processed with the Perique then cut into long flakes that are folded into the tin. The tin aroma took quite a while to get past - once I cut the foil pouch open I just sat there with my eyes closed and my nose stuck in the bag - it smells heavenly! If you like Perique you have to at least try this wonderful weed.

lisztman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lisztman (15)

I've stricken an unusual note here in that I've given this blend four stars and am only moderately likely to order another tin of it.

This offering presents a magnificent quality Virginia flake, clean, pure, perfectly processed. No excessive moisture, but not dried-out, either. This means a nicely dry bowl and stem, and minimal change across the day when I only have one pipe with me at work.

Not the slightest hint of burn or harshness, and I smoked this blend exclusively for two days. The only reason I will shy from it is that the Perique content is slightly higher than I prefer. But that is purely a matter of personal taste in the flavoring -- and it still does not possess the bite that Perique often adds. For a lover of Virginia/Perique combos (with enough of the Perique to make it an issue), this is, by far, the best I've smoked, and I'd give it five stars if I could.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Another first-time foray. 633 enjoys a stellar reputation among the va/per lovers, of which I would include myself. That said, this blend causes me consternation in that it is simply inconsistent. Fresh from the tin, the flavor is sharp and one-dimensional, the perique comes and goes and the base of virginia masquerades as a bitter burley. A weeks drying time helps immeasurably, and lulls one into a false sense of triumph over a finicky blend. No sooner had I enjoyed a good smoke (not phenomenal) than I loaded up another bowl and barely recognised the creature in my pipe. Further, what is the rationale behind the German obsession with casing any blend they produce? Most exasperating. Yet, I do see glimmers of hope for 633 and I. It has (at times) a completeness of flavor that leaves North American offerings behind. In the interest of good tobacciana, I shall persevere. More to follow... 09/2006 I smoked 633 off and on, most of this past summer, and a few months in a canning jar certainly settles its flighty nature down. Tasty and serviceable. 3 stars.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

The superior grades of Virginia leaf used by Solani is tantamount to their blend's elevation above the competition. Certainly, they age well but they also are great from a freshly opened tin. For me, the pinacle of light Virginia/Periques is Escudo, but that does not discount my feelings about this blend. The character is bolder with a slightly higher nicotine content. Comparison is difficult because the character of the Virginia is different and the Perique ratio is a little higher in the Solani. This Virginia is the cornerstone of their blends and mixes well with other tobacs that are present in them. I seem to have a tin of this and Escudo open pretty much all of the time. I have little discipline in this habit of keeping a number of tins open. I would suggest smoking this in the slice. It's a little pricey but then again I've had blends that cost as much with nowhere near the complexity of this fine blend.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Smooth Cherrywood Style Poker

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

633 is a stellar blend, with Solani showing artful restraint in this particular use of the often volatile Perique. Upon opening the charmingly colonial tin and unfolding the oil stained paper, one is greeted with a small, densely pressed brick of medium colored flakes. The flakes crumble and light well and the Perique dances around the slightly sweet Virgina leaf from the begining without overpowering it in the slightest. It smokes well to the end, and the interplay between the two tobaccos shifts and shuffles intriguingly along the way. A very contemplative blend this is, and I enjoy smoking it around mid- evening, before I get to my English or Balkan blends. 633 has done much to increase my interest in Perique, and I look forward to smoking more of this and other VA/Perique blends.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Satisfying virginia with a little too little perique. Reminds me a little of Petersn Irish Oak. I enjoyed this in a small Savinelli bulldog, fully rubbed and a little dried out. Best after it hits the zone, and good to the end. I think this would be better in a bigger bowl. Can't confirm if it's actually cased as some suggest. Not a particularly social blend, but good for me. By the end of the bowl, sufficient nicotine to ease me into bed.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Nice sweet VAPER. The virginias are first class but I yearn (did I say "yearn"?) for a little more perique here. I have added my own but my impatience leads to poor melding of flavors. If you like sweet virginias with only a touch of casing and no bite, you have 633. Other reviewers have noted that drying out this tobac seems to bring out more flavor. I tend to agree and I look forward to trying an aged tin.

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I can see where others might appreciate this. I think Escudo is a better rounded combo of these tobacco types. I never found a groove that might lead to a craving. But, perique is not really my cup of tea in most circumstances, so take that into consideration with my rating.

Not a miracle but at least an honest tobacco. The casing, if any, just sweetens up the virginias, while the perique is there in little quantity, just to spice it up a little bit. If you leave it dry for a while it will smoke enough cool and won't be too wet. Good tobacco, but nothing to remember.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't add anything to what has already been said about this fine blend except to say this is GOOD STUFF! The only negative is that it is a bit pricey (but worth it).

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.8 out of 10.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Now here is a great vaper! Until now, Haunted Bookshop and McClellands 2015 ruled the roost. Complex and well rounded, this flake is just tasty and satisfying. It Lights easy, a one match smoke, burns clean and even to the bottom of the bowl. If this came in bulk, I'd never smoke any other vaper blend again. A must try for vaper fans! 8)

Diogenes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Diogenes (12)

I never quite understood the facination some people have with Perique but after smoking this wonderful blend, I understand. I can't say enough in it's favor. I have not experienced any bite from the VA but the Perique adds a pleasurable spiciness in relation to the sweetness of the VA. I found the flavor to ebb in character between spicy and sweet throughout the bowl, each taking it's turn at coming to the forefront in alternating waves.

This is one of my faves, even though it doesn't contain Burley... WOW!

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

If this isn't already a classic, I'll bet my pipe collection that it will be! I haven't had a pipe tobacco this good since I tried Reiner's Long Gold Flake. Come to think of it, I hadn't had a tobacco that good since I had experienced Escudo before that! LGF, Escudo, and this heavenly tobacco occupy a special place in my heart known as the Holy Trinity of Va/P's. I love Haddo's, Stratford, 2015, St. James, Elizabethan, and even 3 Nuns, but none of them come close to these veritable weeds. While Escudo is darker and sweeter (i.e. stoved) than the other two, and LGF is grassier and smokes cooler (thanks to a nice burley kick), neither are as complex and well rounded as 633. While hard to keep lit during the first 1/3rd of the bowl, after you reach this point its smooth sailing. This baccy builds up some nice sweetness and strength towards the end and leaves no dottle in my pipes. It does need some drying time and I strongly reccomend opening the tin and letting it sit for a week or two in a mason jar. Rich indeed!

Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

A bit watery and too delicate when freshly opened, this traditional flake actually improves after opening, gaining some strength and taste. It's a grassy bright virginia with a moderate amount of perique (quite tolerable even if you can't stand the Louisiana leaf) and some notes which can make you think of a very small dose of burley. A decent, well-burning flake... but nothing particular to recommend.

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Trevert wrote: "The Perique really livens the blend up and gives it some added interest over the various pure Virginia blends of this sort. It's very bright and clear, and would be well-suited to an air-cured Italian pipe. "

I have been smoking this and continue to smoke this in air-cured Italian pipes. Over time, the flakes get darker and better. Also, after dedicating a pipe to it the "roundness" and "fullness" of this blend is all the better.

Edited on 8-15-04: 9 out of 10 on the VA/P strength scale, but 7 out of 10 on the taste scale. As I finish this, my 3rd tin, I have decide that I like most of my tobaccos bone dry. I have dried this perticular a bowl at a time to various degrees, but only today after leaving this out in the sun for what I thought was a tad too long, I have nailed it. Dry, dry, dry and the taste and smoothness is there and no bite -- excellent!

I'll cellar some, and visit it occasionally (after a significant drying), but I think I still prefer Black Parrot or St. James Woods.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

As Howie said above, "......... While the first bowl had a spicy tartness to it that reminded me of Escudo, subsequent bowls were fuller and broader in flavor with a more satisfying full virginia sense. This is exceptionally smooth at first light, without any bite or nasal burn. ............Overall: strong, spicy with sufficient breadth of flavor to maintain interest, but somewhat limited in complexity."

I'd smoke this more if I hadn't stockpiled the Escudo.

It might be better.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Wonderful Virginia leaf pressed with spicey Perique. A naturally sweet Virginia flake that can be an all day puff if you choose. The perique adds a zesty-ness and high flavour curve to the one dimensional Virginia.Highly recomended.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

I enjoyed this blend. It did not jump out at me but was enjoyable. The virginia and perique both seem to be of good quality and the blending seems to be done well. This smokes very cool for a blend of this genre and is a very forgiving blend. This is pretty tastey but not quite as full in flavor as escudo which I prefer. I would recommend this to anyone who likes virginia perique blends especially those who are new to this genre of blend.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As much as I wanted to really like this, I didn't. I love VA/Ps. This had the unfortunate characteristics of that Danish-type liqueuer smell combined with tongue-scorching heat. I can take some heat if the flavor is rewarding, but this smoked similarly to MacBaren Virginia No. 1, which is not a positive experience in my book.

I tried four bowls of this, then traded it. I have tried it another three times at pipe shows. I give up.

PaulB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PaulB (1)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

My tobacconist reccomended this after I raved about Haddo's Delight (my other favorite VA/Perique.) The beautiful flake rubs out easily and smokes great right from the tin. Pouching several rubbed out flakes, allowing the tobacco to dry, changes the character and smoking qualities only making this blend more interesting. The Perique is blended perfectly to enhance the quality VA and kicks in during the last 1/3 of the bowl. If you are a VA/Perique lover, don't pass this high quality tobacco up.

David Cimino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David Cimino (18)

I refer to this Virgina flake as the Champagne of Virginias. A friend recommended this blend and I now smoke it regularly. It burns cool with no tounge bite, even though I tend to be a huffer. There's just enough Perique to add a bit of spice to the taste. The flavor is full and it smokes very smooth. The tobacco has a gorgeous color in the tin and it smells good enough to eat. This blend really combines all the elements I look for in a Virginia -- full flavor, cool smoke and a bit of spice. This is really a plush Virginia.

update 12/19/03

Lately, I have been taking thin strips of this blend, rolling them up, rubbing them slightly between my thumb and forefinger and packing the bowl medium to firm. This has provided a long, cool, slow burning smoke. This technique has given me excellent smoking qualities in a variety of pipes.

subagent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
subagent (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

633, Virginia Flake with Perique. If you've decided to give it whirl because you are interested in a strong (i.e. high nicotine content), full flavored Virginia with a nice dose of Perique, then allow me to offer some tips for maximizing the experience.

If your tin is fresh from the tobacconist's latest stock, you may find the first smoke a bit thin and temperamental. Do not despair! Set the tin down for a few weeks. A little time will dry it, as well as (for whatever reason) giving it a fuller, rounder, and altogether more satisfying quality in the smoking.

While there are certainly benefits to be had from smoking a flake intact (otherwise, why not market it rubbed out?), don't hesitate to rub this one out. For me, it does best as a broken flake-- 3/4" X 1/4" approx-- packed loosely and topped by dried crumbs.

Dry is not all that bad, by the way. I left (well...lost, really) a tin for nearly a year without touching it. Bone dry, it was, and crumbled to little chunks upon handling. Nevertheless, it delivered a satisfying (and really easy to light!) smoke.

Finally if, after checking out that first tin, you feel that this blend offers something, I encourage you to pick up five or ten tins if possible. Give them a year at least of shelf time, and you will be richly rewarded! My current tin was laid down exactly two years ago. The flakes have darkened beautifully, and the smoke is ever so much richer, fuller and more satisfying.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Solani 633 is one fine Va/P! Since several others have written at length about this fine flake, I will keep my comments brief.

First, this smokes quice cool for a Va. THis can be a liability since it is easy to really puff away, and this blend has a sizable nicotine content. I have found myself a bit dizzy when finishing a bowl while distracted by other things, like typing on the 'puter.

633 has great sweetness to it, a combiniation IMO of the Va. sugars and the high perique content. The perique is there from the git-go, and stays around throughout the bowl. Still, the blend is well balanced, yet very complex.

633 is a must try flake for any serious Va/P fan. I just wish it was available in bulk at a lower price...

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)

My tobacconist reccomended this one to me since he knows that I enjoy my Virginias and on occasion a Virginia Perique, Plus I mentioned to him in the past that I really enjoyed Reiner Long Golden Flake. The tobacco rubbed out well and was easy to pack. You could really taste both the Virgina and the Perique on the inital light. The sugar content of the Virginia seemed to be a bit lower than what I'm use to, but that could also have to do with the strong Perique presence in the bowl. Nonetheless the Virginia does add a nice sweet flavour to the tobacco and smooths out the spicyness from the Perique. The smoke was smooth and pleasant getting stronger towards the bottom of the bowl. The nicotine content was not what I'd describe as strong and I don't consider myself a heavyweight when it comes to Nicotine. The tobacco smoked quite cool for a Virginia and burned easily right to the heel of the pipe. I've been told that this tobacco improves with age I think I'll put some aside and see how it tastes in a couple of months. The rest I'm going to smoke immediatley. A good all around tobacco.

Nimrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nimrod (29)
Medium None Detected Full Unnoticeable

I tried a couple of bowls of this from a tin that someone happened by with. This is the second VA-Perique blend that I've tried, the first being Esoterica's Dorchester.

This Solani 633 isn't bad, but for me it just seems to lack any special character. It tastes about like what I expected, just more boring than I expected. In the tin it has sort of a tangy lemon sort of smell, a bit of which comes out when smoked. Mostly it just tastes like VA with a touch of Perique.

Like I say, not bad... but it's just uninspiring and lacking in complexity. It's like someone found some decent quality tobacco and blended something which is essentially just the sum of its parts and no more than that.

Bilbo Baggins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bilbo Baggins (2)

Solani 633 was the first Va/Perique blend I can truthfully say that I really liked. Perique has been a real trouble spot for me in my tobacco rotation. While I can smoke straight Virginias with almost zero tongue bite, I've always had to tiptoe around any Perique blend. Not so this 633 from Solani.

The tin aroma is somewhat hard for me to describe. It has the fruity, figgy, dense aroma of a mature Virginia and the spicy/sour notes of the Perique, yet it also has a sweet smell that I've not noticed in other Perique blends. At least to my nose. I will not detail the color/texture of the blend as that has been well covered in the other reviews.

Upon first lighting the blend I am immediately aware that I do not get the mouth burn I usually associate other Perique blends I've tried. Even after letting the blend settle and relighting I'm usually hit with a lot of spice/heat in the mouth feel department. I do not get this sensation with this blend. It is sweet yet has a very mild spicy undertone to it. The Virginias and the Perique seem to be about equal in proportion to my tastebuds in the first 1/2 of the bowl. When we get to the bottom 1/3 of the bowl is when this blend really richens up. Very intense flavor yet not overwhelming, still no tongue bite and no gurgling. This blend smokes well right down to the bottom of the bowl.

I heartily recommend this blend to anyone who likes Va/Periques, or more importantly, to those who have never really liked Perique blends becuase of the tongue burn factor. I will definately revisit this blend.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

Solani 633 is a great version of Va/'perique blend. It is very tasty and some pepperiness that builds. However as much as I like this blend and it is very very good it is not quite in the same league as Dunhill Deluxe Navy rolls. This blend is easier to get in the USA. However my only complaint is that I had to relight several times the first few times I had a bowlful, yet it did not seem overly moist. I am letting it air a bit now and will give another go soon. 4 stars

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

My first foray into the RL Will blends. Whie having doubts about hte Germans on their use of humicants, I was put off on this blend. A most unusual blend, in the cutting thick flakes, compaed to those of use you have smoked English flakes. These flakes are bright in the colour, blond shreds with the usual brown. The tin nose emits a strong tobacco, but the packing is easy, with a knife. Smokes well all the way down, with the perique rising when needed. An all around good smoke, burns clean to the bottom, and would be expected, the nicotine increases during the venture. 9 out of 10.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first bowl was from a tin open for only a few days and the character changed after 3 weeks of airing. While the first bowl had a spicy tartness to it that reminded me of Escudo, subsequent bowls were fuller and broader in flavor with a more satisfying full virginia sense. This is exceptionally smooth at first light, without any bite or nasal burn. Subsequent development as the bowl is smoked is noticeably spicier, with a continued smoothness of smoking character and a strengthening of nicotine late in the bowl, although not overwhelming. Complexity is moderate with the spiciness the chief characteristic after the first third of the bowl. This is a keeper.

October 2002

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

After reading the excellent reviews on this blend I ordered some from Cupojoes, NY. This review is the result of smoking the first of three tins. The initial impression regarding the tin aroma is it resembled that of Dunhill?s Light Flake: sweet natural Virginias, lovely pressed, spicy and exciting, but with a notch of Tabasco sauce! 633 comes very tightly packed, and it is still lighter in colour than DLF. Peeling off the individual flakes was a tricky business. Once done, the flakes are easy to rub out, pack in and light up.

The first few puffs continue to ring a DLF bell: the Virginias are smooth, quiet, elegant and slightly sugary, perhaps not as rounded or deep, yet full of body and character. But the resemblance ends there, for almost immediately the sacred weed from Louisiana asserts its presence, demanding immediate attention. Now the whole structure of the blend has changed, providing a unique layer of flavours. Without entirely receding to the background, the initial Virginian harmony becomes gradually encircled by the Perique?s piquant/peppery melody, construing a most intriguing dialogue of tastes: at times sinfully sharp and tangy, at times smooth and elusive, but keeping always a very peculiar density that lingers on well after the bowl is over.

For me this is a tobacco that does not burn hot, but I wouldn?t go to the extent of classifying it as a cool smoke. Absolutely no tongue bite, the blend seems to be designed to entice your senses by making your palate travel through a very spicy ?tastescape?, never tiresome, never dull. I think I still need to experience more of 633 before properly judging if it will become a regular smoke. So far, however, it has been a unique encounter, quite unlike any other tobacco with similar components I have previously tried (e.g., Stokkebye?s Navy Cut, currently a favourite of mine, though it doesn?t have the same Perique intensity as Solani?s flake), and definitely a top quality smoke.

Traeldor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traeldor (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Date 9/25/2002 tobacco Name Solani 633 Virginia with Perique package 50g tin rectangle with pic of Boats landing and people marching Color Brass tint, Yellow banner with clear letters smell from pkg Raisin Bran with 2% milk Cut of tobacco Long flake 2 inches tall with 1/2 inch flakes packed on side color in tin Golden Brown, with white spots intermittent Pipe Used Fresh cleaned Barling Rusticated Meer. Reserved VA/P pipe Moisture Content Perfect moisture level. Not dry, not wet Rub out? Rubs out easily into long ribbon leaf for quick packing lighting easy or hard Lights easy with charring crumbs. Very little rise lighting insrument Strike on box wooden matches Initial taste Virginia Sweetness. Very little Perique Amount of smoke Normal for typical VA First third of bowl 50/50 VA and Perique marriage Middle third of bowl Mainly VA with occasional kick of Perique bottom third of bowl Perique on top with VA fighting for recognition Heel condition Moist with some Dottle, but I was rushed for time Color of Ash Light gray smoked hot or cool Tended to get hot if pulled to hard, otherwise nice and cool for a VA Aftertaste Peppery Perique married to VA sweetness lingering repeat smokeablility Yes, definitely will smoke again today Overall opinion Quite enjoyable. The flavors varied back and forth, with a pleasant aftertaste Notes/Thoughts nice smoke, I'm looking forward to seeing how this will age.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I would like to start out by saying that I am an english fancier, and seldom have room in my rotation for VA or VA/Perique blends. However, I occasionally MAKE room in the rotation for this fabulous smoke. Like mentioned above, I only smoke this one in the summer months, which is the only time I ever smoke a tobacco of this variety. 633 has to be the most forgiving tobacco or this type. I find that this never bites for me, which makes it stand in a class of its own IMHO. The taste is quite sweet, with the spiciness of the perique giving it just the right amount of kick. When I'm looking for a change of pace around the summer months, I find myself reaching for this quite frequently. Highly recommended.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

This mix of light to darker brown tobaccos arrives as a block in a rectangular tin. I've never experienced a flake that had been compressed so hard and/or aged to the point that the layers couldn't be peeled apart. No harm though, I just cut or pull pieces and don't even rub them out before packing. The result is a cool, slow burning smoke with just the right balance between the VAs and Perique. Sweetness from the VAs but occasional spicy undertones from the Perique result in an interesting and enjoyable smoke. Even though this is a comparatively strong tobacco, I can smoke it all day in varied pipe bowl sizes without a hint of bite. A winner for a VA/Perique blend.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

633 resembles Orlik Golden Slices in its cut--pretty medium and light-brown flakes that you peel like you'd peel a Post-It note. My wife says it smells "nasty" in the tin, which for the pipe smoker is a pretty good recommendation as what she's smelling is first quality Virginias blended with a big hit of that nasty-smelling nectar of the gods, perique tobacco. This tobacco has a rich, full, natural taste that I am very fond of. No bitterness as with many Virginias, and often a nice sweet undertone to the smoke. Although this tobacco can bite, even a bit of technique will calm it right down. I can even smoke this tobacco in pipes that aren't broken in without too much trouble. This is a fairly strong mixture, and if you are really sensitive to nicotine you may want to go slow with it. I find I can smoke it just about all the time, even on an empty stomach, but every once in a while, the fullness can reach out and grab you. I like this best at night as it is a little full for morning in my estimation. On the whole, this is a wonderful blend that I would recommend wholeheartedly to the Virginia smoker, and even the Virginia novice who wants a full flavor without losing a tongue in the process.

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I'm not much of a virginia smoker, but this is one of my favorite virginia blends. It's as easy to smoke as Hamborger Veermeister, with no bite, but a rich taste (much richer than Veermeister). My Virginia pipes tend to be oil-cured Ashtons for some reason, which I find mitigates the sweetness of the virginia leaf somewhat. Probably because of this, and unlike some of the other reviewers, I find the flavor of this flake to be more on the sour side of the scale, balanced with a little sweetness. The sweetness does tend to build towards the bottom of the bowl. Good stuff for when I'm in the mood.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This fantastic blend has increasingly become one of my favorite tobaccos. I'm a perrenial fan of Va/Perique blends, smoking Haddo's Delight and Escudo more frequently than anything else.

Lately though, I've turned to this superb blend more and more. It really has become a regular evening smoke for me-- it's a little too full for a morning smoke, but fantastic after a day of warming up my tastebuds.

The tobacco is beautiful-- light Virginias combine with red and brown Virginas and dark, almost purpleish Perique makes for a very pretty tobacco.

The tin aroma is pleasant with distinct sweetness from the Virginias and a pleasant piquante nose from the Perique.

The flavor is both full and complex. Often, I find that if a blend is full, I have trouble picking up nuance-- not so in this case. The sweetness from the Virginias provide an excellent bed for the Perique (God, I love Perique...) which adds a very pleasant spiciness (Perique is the Tabasco of the tobacco world, no?). A slight fruitiness-- perhaps fig or raisin-- is apparant from time to time during the smoke also. Superb stuff on the whole.

linuxconf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
linuxconf (11)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is definately one of my favorite VA Perique blends. It starts with the slices. One slice is large enough for the large bowl that I favor. It is also VERY easy to rub out. The flavor is smooth throughout the entire bowl, but most intense during the first quarter. It is relatively sweet, with some sour undertones. The ash is a fine white. I prefer to smoke this right from the tin, and I find that if it is left to dry a bit then there is some tongue bite.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

General Notes: For me, this is strictly a warm-weather tobacco. I can barely stand it during the cooler months. Something about the colder air outdoors enhances the spiciness of the perique to the point where it is almost unbearable to me. I agree with Trever (below) that this is best in my Italian pipes. They really bring out the high notes in this blend, without being so spicy as to overpower the rest of the taste.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This one is a sweet Virginia/Perique flake. Unlike many blends of this sort, it has little bite to it and is a pretty friendly Virginia tobacco though it can still get you if you're not careful. The Perique really livens the blend up and gives it some added interest over the various pure Virginia blends of this sort. It's very bright and clear, and would be well-suited to an air-cured Italian pipe.