Sail regular is a well balanced blend. Burley and Virginia tobaccos in perfect harmony are the basis, enriched by a selection of Oriental and Brazilian tobaccos.

BrandSail
Blended ByTheodorus Niemeyer Co.
ContentsCavendish

2.5
Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

For a blend that I never see on the shelf in the local stores I'm suprised by the number of reviews. Recently purchased three 1.5 oz pouches from P&C. A lot different in taste then what I remember. It seems the 7 oz tin has a far better flavor. Speaking of which why is it that the 7 oz tin of SAIL is no longer available? But I digress. SY I find to be best suited for the more seasoned pipe smoker, especially if you enjoy a more earthy, natural cavendish. In a cob, the blend tends to get watery, almost sour (problem seems to be with the pouch it's stored in but not the tin). If you let SY dry out an hour before smoking it, it's a lot smoother and has a nice spicy overtone. Taste like you've biten into a spicy tangerine, slightly creamy-very rewarding smoke. Haven't quite pinned downed the room note, but I like it. Works best in a briar. Caution if you use a paper filter as it causes somewhat of a bite. If there was a "juicy fruit" of pipe tobacco this would be it. So remember these two things w/ SY: let 'er dry out for an hour and this blend's made for sipping by the more experienced smoker. A must in one's rotation.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Of all the Sail offerings, I find "Yellow" to be the most balanced and pleasant.

As where "Green" has absolutely NO tobacco taste -or taste at all, in fact- and "Natural" bites, bites, bites, "Yellow" displays some tobacco taste which will either be spicy, very lightly sweet and a little something else hard to describe. It does not really taste what the pouch aroma forecasts.

I waited 3 weeks after opening the pouch, making sure the humidity was minimal. When I felt dry tobacco, that is when I started smoking "Yellow". It smokes very well and leaves a nice bunch of grey ash on the bottom.

This is one I will definitively rebuy to accompany my Cob pipes whenever I go for a stroll outside the house.

Pilotpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilotpuffer (6)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

When I am ready to enjoy a simple pipe of tobacco without having to worry about room note or flavorings, Sail has been a good choice. I did not try this blend prior to its production by Orlik. Just a nice smooth blend with the burleys taking charge with a hint of VA flavor. Pleasantly sweet with no bite experienced. Also, this blend smokes smooth right down to the bottom of the bowl. No dottle, just a nice fine gray ash. Recommended for a mellow all-day smoke.

Pipe Used: 1950s unknown Algerian briar

Purchased From: John B. Hayes, Tobacconist - Winchester VA

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I didn't expect to like this very much, but I did. The burleys, cavendish, and Virginias all work well together, but what made this blend for me was the spice from the Orientals. The Orientals transform the other components into a tasteful smoke. Without it, I imagine this would be just a regular drugstore product, but as it is, it's a welcome change from other OTCs, especially if you need a spice hit from your tobacco. The one drawback is that if you are a constant, heavy puffer, you may find it burning your mouth just a little. Smoke slowly, and it'll work better for you.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Sail Yellow… I smoked my share of this stuff, back when… somewhere around the late 60's and 70's, and always found Sail Yellow (and Amphora) very enjoyable. When available both were regulars, along with several other so-called drug store blends. But after reading some of these reviews, it looks like the new product has changed enough to warrant a revisit of a old friend. So the following is my experiences with the latest SY product.

Pouch (42g) aroma for what it's worth, is a very mild cherry / tobacco scent, with maybe only a ghost of noticeable Orientals in the aroma or taste during the smoke. As I like my tobacco on the dry side, I put some out to dry, which it did nicely, (IMO) a good sign. The added drying also helps with bowl packing, as this stuff is so finely rubbed out, packing a damper tobacco can be easily overdone, and end up to tight in the bowl for a good draw. Hate that! Easy light up and plenty of tasty smoke followed, thankfully the strength increased as the bowl burned down, as it is a little too mild at startup, and still remained smooth and without any tongue bite. Very pleasant. Taste wise, I found this blend somewhat similar to a weak “Golden Slice” (flake, with a touch of anise) also an Orlik product. As far as blend changes over the years goes, who knows, but as it stands today, this is a excellent all day mild and well mannered smoke, well worth a try, in a briar or cob. For its intended niche 3 stars. My personal rating 4.5/5

I like this one. It's a very unassuming and mild tobacco that doesn't try to do too much. A nice pleasant honey flavoring has been added (to my taste) but it doesn't overpower the light burley/virginia tobacco. The room note is very nice but not even approaching the overblown character of your basic aromatic.

This has much less flavor than Skandinavik Regular or Full Aroma and is therefore a bit easier to smoke, if the smoker was an "all day" kind of guy. I got nothing approaching a bite from this - very mild and inoffensive. This is good enough to stock up on for those times I want something mild tasting, pleasing in aroma to those around me, and when my mind is on something other than my tobacco. Try this one if you're tired of overflavored or overly powerful nicotine tobaccos. This would be great while on a hammock on the beach in Fiji with some rum. :)

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Now made by Orlik in Denmark. I find no orientals in this. Mostly coarse cut Burley. This tobacco has no aroma other than natural tobacco. Very coarse cut in long shreds. fairly moist...let it air out a bit and it packs nicely. Lights easily and with a bit of tamping at the start will keep it lit all the way down.

This is a smooth but boring smoke. No taste I can detect and the aroma is that of burning tobacco. It is hard to make it bite, though until near the end of the bowl where it gets steamy and harsh. Some gurgle at this point as well.

I love to use this tobacco for smoothing out the rough edges in my CB Royal. Mixed 50/50 with CB Royal, it makes a beautiful aroma and a pleasant smoking experience.

For the beginner I recommend this straight out of the pouch after some air time. But if you love the aroma of Lane aromatics but hate the bite, try this as a mix. Great!

English Bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
English Bulldog (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Upon opening the pouch one is greeted with a partly rubbed-out tobacco exuding a sweet, hay-like aroma, slightly grassy accompanied by hints of black tea as well. Although my packet describes the contents as a 'mild cavendish' I would have thought it was more of a burley blend as there is no black cavendish to be found. I must say that if the exotic tobaccos mentioned above are present, they must be so in small doses.

I gently rubbed out the tobacco (it comes rather dry) a little more to pack the pipe (a cob) and topped the bowl with some smaller crumbs for an easy light. I used two matches but potentially could have settled with only one.

I found that the pouch aroma translated itself into the smoke, which was thin and white. Mid bowl the flavour develops more body, it is not acrid with no gurgle. A nutty undertone comes to the fore as the bowl progresses without any of the nasty bitterness/ammonia than can develop with burley tobaccos and there was no bite present.

The bowl did heat up somewhat as the tobacco burns easily and only required one relight. Near the end a bitter taste does make itself known but it is not overwhelming at all, the taste also becomes slightly ashy. The smoke is slightly monochromatic but that does not make it any less enjoyable. After finishing a pleasant aftertaste is left. I did end up with a small amount of juice in the stem after awhile, but this was nothing a pipe cleaner could not deal with. As far as roomnote goes I found it to be pleasant and inoffensive, others about should not find it too objectionable and may even enjoy the gentle, sweet smell.

To conclude I think this would make a good tobacco for a hot summer day when something lighter is in order, or while in the garden/hobby room as no hard concentration is needed to smoke this. I would like to buy some more pouches, with age it should improve nicely and become a bit 'rounder' over time. Not too bad at all, 3 stars out of 5.

Back in the day, I smoked a lot of this. I bought the 12 oz tins and saved a bunch of them to store hardware, etc. I am guessing I have smoked over 15 lbs of this. When you could no longer get it in the US, I found other things to smoke, but I missed Sail Yellow.

A friend of mine mentioned on a forum that he had a tin, and he thought he might send out samples to people interested in trying it. I was eager to try it again. The tin had been in storage since the 80's.

I liked this more than I remembered. It is mild with great tobacco flavor. It is slightly sweet with no citrus or identifiable honey flavor. There is a mild spicy quality when exhaled through the nose. I wish this were still an OTC option!

Age When Smoked: yes

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Back in the day (1970's), I'd buy a pouch of Sail once in a while. I got a free sample a few weeks ago, and really looked forward to a trip back in time. I smoked it in a vintage Kaywoodie relief grain. I noticed almost no room note and the flavor was non existent. It packed and burned nicely ,with a dry ash and no goop in the bowl, however. Very mild smoke, almost like smoking air.

I'll try it in a cob next. Cobs bring out the best in any tobacco, but I have to say, I'll probably never buy it. It's a nice gesture that the manufacturer offered a full size sample free of charge. For that, they are to be commended.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

This was such a nice surprise, much less scented than I was expecting. Easily available, it will be a regular burley va in my cellar.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Probably the mildest of the Sail varieties.

Not very cased, it tasted like pure tobacco.

Nothing distinctive.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Reminds me of Fyling Dutchman, although much milder. It can bite if smoked too fast/hard, but otherwise its a good reliable blend.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Hard to taste the Orientals in this Burley mixture, but it is indeed well balanced with sweet Virginias. This is half-way in quality between Sail Natural and Sail Green, lacking the horrid tongue bite of the former and the mellow and sweet taste of the latter.

Not the best, but not a bad drugstore tobacco at all.

An old patient of mine smoked nothing but Sail Regular. I made house calls to him on a regular basis as he was an invalid. His den always smelled of this wonderful blend. The anise was very noticeable in the room note (and always in the pouch) and added to the "old world" pipey smell. This fellow always gave me a pouch whenever I came to visit him. I thoroughly enjoyed Sail Regular each and every time I smoked it. It had a tendency to smoke hot, but once tamed, was always pleasurable. I haven't smoked it in a while and am told that Orlik is the new producer of this. It is sad to read the many reviews of the newer concoction that are so negative. I will have to revisit this and conclude for myself. As for the original Sail Regular - 3 solid stars for a good, honest, and basic pipe tobacco.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Looking at the older posts for this tobacco I must conclude this is a different blend than it was at its inception. There is absolutely no anise aroma and all I smell is the natural sweetness of the Virginias and/or any mild topping applied. There was some tongue bite upon lighting this up but it settled down somewhat rather quickly. This is primarily a Virginia-Burley blend and of quite good quality for a "drug-store mixture." The volume of smoke was moderate, the aroma was very nice and the taste left my palate feeling quite clean. I wish this was a bit stronger and more full bodied but I enjoyed sailing off tonight and will probably take it out again until the pouch is gone. My next taste test will be the Sail aromatic (Green pouch).

Samurai Barry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Samurai Barry (6)

Like the other Sail blends, you know exactly what you're smoking. A nice mild flavor with a very agreeable room note. Quite pleasant. However, it does burn hot, so smoke it slow to minimize the bite. It is not my favorite Sail blend. That is (was) Sail red, which isn't available anymore. A pity, as it was a very distinctive smoke...must have been the camel dung fires drying the tobaccos.

ironjammer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ironjammer (5)

I bought a pouch of this at the discount tobacco store when I had a craving for a natural unflavoured baccy. A nice, simple, enjoyable smoke. A little hard to keep lit, but I enjoyed the simple flavour. Overall, I would say this is a nice change of pace. Recommended.

mortal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mortal (3)

This is my favourite tobacco so far.I really like the licorice-nut flavour.At least that's how I would describe it.Not an overly strong room note but I find that it has a fairly pleasant smell. It burns pretty well and my mouth is not singed by this yellow gold either. I will give this tobacco three stars for it's taste and pipe friendly manner.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I started smoking this when they stopped importing Amphora to the USA. It smokes cool,sweet, and relatively dry. Has a natural cavendish taste and aroma. Tastes mostly of burley with a hint of VA. and oriental. The oriental peeks through on occasion. I like this and Sail Green. This is sweeter and more peppery, the Green is more smooth and chocolaty. This tends to be drier out of the pouch than Sail Green is but it's still sweet and fresh! I enjoy both depending on what mood im in. The Yellow has a tendancy to bite if smoked too quickly, as all Dutch blends do. From what im hearing, the tins are being discontinued. Although a local shop by me can get the tins! All Sail blends only come in pouches now. I don't know if thats good or bad? I kind of liked the traditional packed tin, which is rarely seen these days, but I'll take what I could get! My local shop had a two for one deal on this. {Buy one regular, get one aromatic free} Well, I bought up all he had which came to 14 pouches total, and I had him order me two more 5 packs. One Yellow, one Green.

UPDATE! After two pouches of Yellow my toungue is scorched! I called my local shop and had him cancel the yellow for another 5 pack of Green.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I have been away from the pipe for a spell and this spring decided to take my old friend back up again. Stopped by a small tobacco shop a friend told me about and picked up a couple of cobs and a tin of Sail. It seemed to be the highest quality pipe tobacco on the shelf (I had hopped for some finer brands)and was very pleased when I opened the tin and found what looked like rubbed virgina tobacco strands. The tin mentioned Latakia however I could not decect it. Packed in my new cob I found the tobacco very easy to light and smoke and found it very enjoyable. Very much on the burley and virgina side of things, very good summer time smoke. Now that I am back on the pipe I will have to give Craig Tarler a call though.........

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was a bit of a surprise. It is a nice anise scented tobacco that does not bite and can be smoked all day. I often found myself reaching for it over much more expensive blends. It is brownish fine strands and burns to a white ash. I like the aroma which I found pretty good in my car but upon getting to work people said I smelled like cigs so I will knock it down one star because yeah the smell seems to kling to me and I did not care for that. Well worth trying if you drive with the window down.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

On the same theme as Sail green, but without any aroma. The sweet aroma is just the natural sweetness of the leaves.

A nice tobacco, that behaves well, but is way too mild for my liking.

However, despite being a drugstore blend, superior to the average one.

Really suited for a beginner that wants to explore the more natural bakkies.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (60)

I started pipe smoking when I was 17, and the so-called drug store blends were all that I could afford (beer money being a priority). Happily, theis blend seems to have survived pretty much intact over the years if my memory does not mislead me. Anyway, Sail Regular (Yellow) still comes a little too dry in the pouch, but that's easily remedied. It smokes cool (and dry), having a fairly pleasant (i.e., the wife approves) aroma. A good, no-frills blend that, while a tad pricey, makes for a pleasant, albeit unremarkable, smoke.

scotty815 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotty815 (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I used to smoke this on occasion back in the 1980s A couple days ago i found a pouch of this at one of those cigar outlets that carry a few pipe tobaccos. Since finding this site I am buying more of my old blends to see what they are like now. This one for the high price is not a great value. But this is one of those tobaccos that are bound to get mixed ratings. It seems to still smoke fairly well. One trait I cannot stand is its tendency to burn a spot in my throat that has not bothered me since I quit smoking pot. as well as my nose when i blow jets. It is probably the topping, as the tobacco seems to be of a good quality.

Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I'm not quite sure how fair this review will be since I was able to smoke just one bowl of Sail Yellow which a friend had brought to one of our pipe club meetings. The pouch hailed from from a local pipe shop that had just gotten in a batch, and I was eager to try it.

I never tasted the anise topping described by another reviewer. Rather, I tasted a typical light Dutch offering of sweetened Burley with just a smidgen of Virginia thrown in for good measure.

The cut was very fine and not too stringy. It burned easily and fast. Quite simply, this is just a very flavorless Dutch cav that I found inoffensive and unremarkable.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)

You'd think after 30 years of (mostly on) pipesmoking I would've tried this blend, but I didn't until recently. I had a very fresh sample of this and the green pouch.

After 8 bowls I decided I can't smoke this or its green pouched variant without getting bitten. And this from a person who smokes Symphony regularly, though infrequently. And it would seem Symphony is a somewhat similar blend.

I love the anise and honey taste of Sail and also the Burley kick, but I have a feeling a burning accelerent is added. Sail invariably leaves its skid marks all over my palate, no matter how careful I am. I wish someone would tell me how to smoke this stuff because I do enjoy what flavor is there.

This was once readily available in supermarkets and drug stores in Florida, it is now long gone...

It is an elegant, and mild blend, with a chimerical flavor profile. The burley is dominant, the Virginia lends the faintest sweetness. The casing has a floral and fruity aroma in the pouch. This gently comes through in the taste while smoking. The room aroma is fruity and floral as well, with hints of what remind me of shaving soap.

As pouch blends go this is very classy, and the quality is much better than its peers by Lane or Middleton. Amphora and Skandanavik are in the same league. Could make a nice change of pace, but will not be a regular for me.

It was a bit moist, but once lit, burned cool and dry. Not bad.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)

Cavendish is to high end pipe tobacco as KFC is to chicken, yet, for some reason, this blend has never offended me. Sure, it's a tad on the bland side, but it is perhaps the least disagreeable of the readily available pouch blends I've encountered. I have been revisiting many of the "classics", and I would love to report that this is yet another distasteful packet of yuck, but I can't.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

I smoked Sail Regular for a few years in the early 70's, very enjoyable tobacco, now it has taken on a whole different taste than I rember it or should I say what I thought it should be like today

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

This is another one of those blends that I "inherited" from my father in my early pipe smoking days back in the late seventies.

A pleasant smoke that never seems to offend those around, and light enough to let you know it is there in an unobtrusive manner.

Nothing great here, just a blend that does not demand attention and burns cool and dry, with some taste to it. Ironically, this was usually the blend that my Dad and I smoked when we were sailing, (guess the marketing guys got us, huh?)

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

When this blend used to be available down here I would smoke it on a regular basis, most of the time in a Peterson system 309, which really brought out the flavours on the lower registers, making it smoke clean, cool and dry. Blended by the same house that makes Clan, I always found a strong resemblance between Sail Yellow and the original D&E Amphora regular. The latter seemed slightly smoother and refined, whilst the former was tastier and livelier. I don?t think neither had Latakia, but if Sail Yellow did it was very subdued and not of the fire-cured/smoked type.

A little on the mild side, it takes some time before the multidimensional taste of this tobacco becomes apparent and fully evolves. If from the beginning it is smoked hastily, it will produce tongue bite and its flavours will clamp in, making it taste rather harsh and sharp. If puffed slowly, the different elements that go into Sail Yellow will gradually settle down and eventually reveal a very rich, yet delicate and natural taste, surprisingly cool for a Dutch blend. Because it is was easy to pack and relatively easy to light, I used to carry the pouch around, and smoke it outdoors or in a restaurant without major consequences. The aroma was quite fresh and amicable, and it really didn?t demand a lot of effort or concentration to smoke it. My tinned tobaccos I would leave home.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Sail yellow was one of the first tobaccos I tried that was not a heavy aromatic. It is a basic Dutch Cavendish, almost shag cut, medium in color, with moderate casing. I never found any Oriental leaf in the blend, which smokes somewhat on the bland side with minimal aromatic tendencies. Cool enough, fairly dry, but not compelling. Just anoher mosly Burley Dutch blend, good in a pinch, but never my first choice.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A quintessential example of Dutch blending art, from the Royal Theodorus Niemeyer Co., Groningen, The Netherlands.

The gently sweetened burley lends this mélange surprising body, the Turkish leaf a silken, nutty quality that plays well with the mellow Virginia, and the Cavendish adds a velvety finish.

As an habitual latakia fancier, I find this elegant, supple mixture a wonderful change-of-pace bonne bouche, especially in the morning. It burns cool and dry.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco seems to get better as you approach the bottom of the bowl, but all in all, there's not much in here to focus on.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This smelled heavily of anise to me. I enjoy licorice, so I had high hopes for this dutch blend. When first lit, a cloud of licorice scented smoke filled the air, I guess all the flavor went up there and then. After about two good puffs this tasted plain and boring. I expected the flavor to last until at least halfway down the bowl. I agree with SopwithCamel, in that this is very much in the same league as Skandanavik, I would not buy this again.

Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This smelled nice in the pouch and that's about it. Way too light for my tastes. Smoked dry and had a good volume of smoke, but there wasn't much substance behind it. Time for this ship to sail into the abyss of vapid tobaccos.

Smoke in peace.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Just got a free sample of this, and was really looking forward to seeing if it was as good as I remembered from back in the seventies. It wasn't. Nothing to write home about here. I won't be buying any, and I'm not sure that I'll even smoke another pipe of it.