An aromatic blend of choice tobaccos superbly prepared for the utmost in smoking pleasure.

BrandHouse of Windsor
Strength
Taste
2.1
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This blend was fairly soapy and even more perfumy with an anise/licorice topping. While it lingered to the end, it became less intense by the half way point, and a nutty, earthy burley became more prominent, though still a bit sublimated. I barely noticed the black and gold cavendish outside of a hint of vanilla. The Virginia notes were few and far between, except for a little grassiness. There was a light maple flavor here, too. Had a mild nic-hit. Burned pretty warm and rough at a moderate pace. Left little moisture in the bowl, and needed an average number of relights. Because it fell just short of the tongue bite stage, sipping it produced better results. Had a decent after taste, and was not quite an all day smoke.

Continuing my recent trek down memory lane, the latest stop was with Field & Stream. As OSR mentioned, William Serad recently reviewed these House of Windsor blends in P&T magazine. Like Sir William, I did not taste licorice as I smoked a few pipefuls of F&S. Unlike Sir William, I found F&S to be ordinary although I agree it is unique. Typical of most "less expensive" Burley blends, this one got a tad bitter as I completed the bowl. Though an aromatic, it never tasted particularly sweet either. I appreciated the true tobacco taste and heavier than normal nicotine content.

The pouch contained leaf just as OSR described, and I'll add that mine was quite dry. The blend also smoked on the warm side, which is unusual for a Burley. Hope I don't wake up with tongue bite!

I doubt I'll finish the pouch because this one didn't ring my chimes. I will enjoy another bowl or two before moving on. I will not, however, be smoking it to the bitter end!

Old Cuss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Cuss (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I remember this stuff from the '70's, tasted odd, sort of like it might be GOOD for you ! ! Because it reminded me of a Cough Medicine !! The Licorice/Anise smell-taste is there to a degree, but this pipe tobacco always sent my tongue " out to pasture " every time I tried to get along with it. I recall trying mixing it up with ' Sugar Barrel ' and got absolutely/positively NOWHERE !! !! I think my next stop after this was ' Borkum Riff ' or maybe ' Amphora '.

Pipe Used: Don't Recall

Age When Smoked: Unsure

Purchased From: Probably a drug store joint.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)

What a delightful surprise!!

A problem I (meaning my tongue) have with many of the American "drug store" blends is the cut of the tobacco. Wee flakes which burn quite rapidly leaving me often liking the flavour but unable to withstand the heat. And I'm sure that the sensation isn't helped by whatever chemicals are often added for moisture control and taste.

I'm presuming that this is a fairly long-standing problem which lead to the profusion of system and filter pipes in the bygone days.

Such measures are not needed for Field and Stream.

The tobacco is presented in a rather unique cut, I betray my inexperience by being unable to name it; perhaps "cube cut" would do, although there are a profusion of the little flakes. The taste of the tobacco is there, not overwhelming, but not shy either. The aromatic additive is quite like the one applied to Mixture 79. If you like Mixture 79 but had found it to be too hot to handle, here's your answer.

I believe I'll be stepping up from the 39 gram package (Shame about that! It really should be 1 1/2 ounces!) to the "bucket" size. I really am quite happy I gave this one a try!

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Found a 2 oz tin of this and jumped on it, as it is one of those old HOW blends that often produce hits. This one was mostly a walnut-brown colored crimp cut, close to a cube. Tin aroma was mostly licorice with a strong hint of mustiness.

Properly dried out, this is kind of a Mixture #79-lite blend. The perfuminess was diminished and the flavor was a relaxed kind of licorice/maple. Sounds weirder than it tasted. Sort of non-commital, but definitely preferable to moist out of the tin, where the taste was profoundly soapy. The best part about this one was the room aroma which all 3 of my kids described independently as like cookies. Indeed, there was a pleasant, homey sort of smell to it in the room. Nothing special, this one, but I didn't find it as bad as a lot of people. Worth a try if you can find it and you're curious about these old-timey OTC blends. For me, decent but not repeatable.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am sure your parents, like mine, always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. Well, I always assumed they were referring to people, not tobacco. I ordered a 2 ounce tin of this from Iwan Ries back in August of 06. I went on some sort of drugstore tobacco spree, trying out the old "classics". First impression of this tin was someone spilled Palmolive soap in this tin. Throwing caution into the wind, I packed it in a cob (no way I am taking chances in a briar) and proceeded to set fire.... I felt like Ralphie from "The Christmas Story" after dropping the "F" bomb. That is really all I remembered, was soap.

Now, July 2nd 2009, I decided to visit the tin again. I opened it up, and the contents were BONE dry, almost powder. The soap subsided, and once again, packed into a cob and lit her up. Not nearly as bad as the last episode, no more soap, and no tongue bite. Decent room note too! But the only reason I fail to rate this any higher is tobacco should be ready to smoke out of the package, not after two years of dry storage. It also leaves a funny cigarette ash feeling/taste in my mouth I do not care for.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

I am hesitant to throw in my 2 cents worth for a tobacco I don't like, but I guess I'll kick a man while he's down. Little chunks of tobacco reminding me of the texture of Edgeworth Ready Rub, smells like soapy perfume, tastes the same. A bit of tongue bite as well. I love the tin art though, and I recognize that this may be an acquired taste. I wonder if this would be better in a pipe well caked with only this tobacco? I will never know. I love old school stuff though, which is why it's hard for me to do this review without feeling like I just yelled at an old man in front of his wife. If you like Mixture 79 this would be a nice addition to your rotation.

wmjotten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmjotten (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Of the five different HOW blends I've tried, Field & Stream was perhaps the toughest to deal with. Was I smoking road kill from the Field or dead fish from the Stream? Take your pick, there was little I liked about this blend. For that matter, none of the HOW blends I tried really grabbed me. This blend may have some history about it, having been around a long time, although it escapes me how. Perhaps it was 'state of the art' in blending at some time, but thankfully times have changed for the better. There is little to recommend here...maybe just saying that it burned in a pipe is enough. Even the Country Doctor can't (or shouldn't) save this blend from a flat taste, so-so room note and overall disappointment. I tossed what I didn't smoke of this, not even thinking about possibly ageing it or blending it with something else. Why ruin another blend mixing this in?

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

As much as I'd like to enjoy this old classic I cannot. This blend taste like licorice perfume. It taste's foul, will foul your pipe, and is probably the nastiest tasting blend I have ever had. That said aromatic fans and licorice lovers will probably LOVE this blend and should completely disregard my review. Had I known of the licorice/soap/perfume combo ahead of time I wouldn't have bothered. Sorry HOW 12/25/04 Merry Xmas!

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Frankly, I don't understand the hate for this. If you like Lakeland tobacco and other strong flavors F & S is not so strange. I really like anise/licorice and maybe that's the reason I enjoy this tobacco. It reminds me of Avanti cigars, which are another favorite of mine. This has become my usual "fishing smoke," and I bought a few tins right after it went out of production. I find the licorice and maple flavorings delicious, and while not a complex smoke by any means it is a great outdoor tobacco due to its partial cube cut and refreshing taste. If you don't like licorice or highly flavored aromatics stay away from F & S; if you want to enjoy a great old classic I recommend this one.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow

Purchased From: Little Bown Smoke Shack

Similar Blends: Uhle's #255. Scented Lakelands..

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I guess if I was on a desert island and this was the only pipe tobacco, It would probably make do. But, in the real world with so many blends to choose from, Field and Stream falls into my mediocre/boring column. I smoked it once and threw the rest away. Life is too short to waste on a mediocre smoke.

Pipe Used: Lasse Skovgaard

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Man o man I loved this blend when it came in the big royal blue tub. It was such a chunky blend that reeked of licorice but in a good way. Burned cool and the room note was fantastic. Even the tub was so sturdy, nothing like todays tubs. Then came HOW version which was good too, different, smaller cut and different topping but still delicious. I have tried the Sutliff Great Outdoors and it is similar to the HOW offering but nowhere near the original F&S. I search Ebay monthly and never see an original tin and its heartbreaking but the HOW pops up time to time so I am content to buy that.

Pipe Used: cob, briar, meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Everything from aged to fresh

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Great Outdoors (Sutliff Private Stock).

Timonh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timonh (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a can of this stuff because some one had told me it was Gerald Fords favorite tobacco and I thought, "if its good enough for a president"; I was wrong there are presidents who do not have a taste for a good smoke. I thought that it might have been the worst stuff that I ever had; not trying to be a wise guy, I just didn't like the tobacco. I normally don't smoke aromatics but even so it was a very unpleasant experience. Guess that is why there is chocolate and vanilla. Sorry Gerry

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the things I like about aromatic tobaccos is that they take me on a trip down memory lane. They say that smell is the strongest trigger of memory. In the case of this tobacco I certainly found that to be the case, though I can't say it was a great memory trip. The pouch aroma of the blend is quite pleasant. The color of the tobacco ranges from a golden brown to a deep brown, though the overall look is pretty consistent. In appearance, the tobacco is somewhere between a cube cut and a rubbed out cube cut. Though I found my sample to be slightly dry, it was not overly so, and packs nicely into a pipe. The first memories brought up by the blend hit me with the charring light, and remained as I got into the smoke. I was taken back to my days in college, when I had a roommate who almost constantly burned incense. The taste I was hit with was exactly what I would have expected his incense to taste like. And I asked him to not burn the stuff when I was in the building. Not the room, anywhere in the building. A second memory came to me deeper into the bowl, taking me back further into my childhood. It was the memory of the smell of the plastic that the old G. I. Joe's were made of. Again, what I tasted seemed like what that plastic probably would have tasted like. And then I thought of an album I had, vinyl, of course, which would have fit the tobacco – Frank Zappa's "Weasels Ripped My Flesh." Except, of course, I liked the album. By the end of the bowl the flavor was becoming acrid, as some aromatics are prone to doing. I am a great admirer of William Serad, and both envy his job and admire his ability to review tobaccos. However, if memory serves he spoke reasonably well of this blend. I wish I could agree with him. House of Windsor deserves our support, and this blend has some fans. Unfortunately, for me it simply doesn't work.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This is a relatively highly flavored cube cut burly. Unlike many aromatics it is not doused with artificial moisteners, it is dry out of the can or pouch. It burns cool with no bite. Many reviewers have compared this to the much maligned Mixture 79, there are similarities but also critical differences. As with Mixture 79 at first light there is an initial explosion of flavor, but as the bowl progresses this fades and the burly comes to the front. Personally I find the flavor (most often described as licorice, which works for me) pleasant indeed. This blend will certainly ?ghost? a briar, which since I much enjoy the flavor is not a problem for this piper. I smoked this years ago when offered by Phillip Morris, and find the House of Windsor version to be faithful to its heritage. As I work through my stash will have to seek out one of the ?matches?.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

when I first tried this blend (from the pouch) a few months ago, the "old lady perfume" smell was a huge let down, especially with the great picture on the box. I stuck it away and didnt even think about it, until an older fellow told me to rub it completely out, and use a cob...well I took his advise and I can say its allot better. the casing is less pronounced and the burly leaf comes through well. Overall I sort of like Field and Stream now, for a change of pace, and the fact that its the only HOW blend that acually has nicotine in it, Im sold...Two stars says I...and perhaps I'll even finish the pouch!!

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

It took me a while to get hang of this blend. While FS is Sweet it is yet very smokey. Sort of like a drugstore Cigar with the wrapper being sweet but the cigar smoke itself being harsh,very 1940's Americana. Now once you relize this approach you will then understand this pipe tobacco better. Years ago a man smoked cigarettes Daily, Cigars for special occasions(or a night out with the fellas), and pipes on the weekends or after work to relax. All their tobacco needs were purchased at a local 5 & dime or candy store. The smokes were generally very close in taste. As to not sway you away from one or the other. Now as for FS the taste is close to a sweet cotton candy or sweet cream corn. FS burns fast no matter how slow you smoke it. You can go through a bowl quickly. The room note is alright but the aroma is closer to a sweet mildew aroma. A Good smoke to think about life during the old days. The one thing that I really like about this blend is the cut of the tobacco. Very easy to fill a bowl no matter how much falls on the floor.

porterman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porterman (5)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Ok, so this review may be a bit biased. I have to admit to loving this tobacco since childhood...No I didn't smoke it..I remember seeing the ads in Field and Stream, Sports Afield, and Outdoor life, and thinking wow....that looks cool, a man's smoke. I have wanted to try Field and stream since then. And after taking up the pipe again after a 15 year hiatus, was pleased to see that HOW brought this old time classic back. (When I smoked before in the late eighties, F&S was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND), Well got my 2oz sampler on Monday and since then have smoked three bowls. WOW, it is so nice in life when our expectations and hopes match reality....I love this baccy, the licorice flavor is right up my alley, I love the fact that this burns so dry and cool and the flavor lasts through the bowl. I can see where this would not be for everyone, but for me...its my new favorite.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

07/19/2004 This one I didn't like initially. It tasted like soap the first time I smoked it. I put it in the "to give away" area of my various blends. A later encounter with this pouch found the soap taste barely noticable. In fact, I started to like this tobacco! Now when I light this blend it tastes like an honest smooth rich cubed Burley. I had no problems with tongue bite, maybe because it is strong enough flavored to not require any heavy puffing. Update 11/06/2006: No longer smoking this very often. Have found better Burley blends and have had some issues with consistency. Still a better than average "drug store" Burley.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Decent Burley, with a strong licorice topping. Not destined to be one of my favorites, but not bad. (Unless of course you hate licorice) It can be tough to light at times.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco (to me) is what I call a 'classic cut' in that it's not really a cube, definitely not a ribbon (as is stated in the description above) but is more of a plug cut in style.

The tobacco in the pouch smells "different" in a Gawith and Hoggarth way and is the perfect humidity to fill and light.

For about 10 years I was a tobacconist. The old men used to come in with their pouches of "drug-store" tobacco and would not really tamp the tobacco into the bowl; They would literally dip the pipe into the pouch and let the tobacco fill the bowl and dip the pipe again until the bowl was full; then they'd take their finger and gently press the tobacco down, light up, tamp again and smile. A true gravity fill?. This is how I fill a pipe with Field and Stream for best results.

The tobacco, upon lighting, has an aromatic quality but not in the way we think of aromatics in general. This is more of a G&H type of aromatic. The predominant flavor that I get out of this blend is licorice..and plenty of it!

F&S is medium in strength, enough to fulfull my taste for stronger tobaccos. The tobacco stays lit well and smokes pretty darn consistently all the way down. Nothing complicated and somehow charming in that "old school" sort of way.

If you are looking for natural tobacco then this isn't for you. Mostly Burley but the flavoring is going to be one of those things that you either like or hate. Thoroughly enjoyable but not recommended to those who don't like licorice! Fortunately I do.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

Well first of all, the obvious. The tobacco description listed in the heading isn't even close. If you go to the HOW website, they describe F&S as "100% rectangular-cut burley blend with a traditional maple, licorice and other flavorings".

That out of the way: this is a nice, smooth, cool burning all burley smoke that is about as retro as it gets. There are those who are put off by the licorice flavoring, which for me tends to burn into a somewhat floral note. In this blend it's not over the top and it's actually nicely balanced by the barely discernable maple (and apparently "other") flavors. A few minutes into each bowl I find the flavors settling down and the slow burning burley comes into it's own. It smokes down to the nubs without any souring or bite at all. Makes a great "puttering in the shop" kind of tobacco, with enough flavor to remind you of why you took up the pipe in the first place. The room note is very agreeable.

I recommend you avoid the pouch (which other's have noted tends to be too dry) and buy one of the 2 or 4 oz. tins: they come with just the right moisture and seem to be fresher.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I truly have enjoyed many of the H.O.W. blends but I have had a hard time getting this one to grow on me. The only problem I seem to have with it is the cut. The tin I had was cut much finer than say the Bourbon Street I tried and therefore burned hotter. I think the flavor is very comparable to Bourbon Steet, which I do like, however I will not re-order this blend.

Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one is another winner from the House of Windsor. It is the only pipe tobacco I ever smoked that seemed to be mentholated and I liked the effect more than I would have normally thought. It did remind me of Bourbon Street which I didn't care for one bit. This ,however, has a delicious tobacco taste underneath all of the topping. A very unique tobacco I will come back to in the future!

Oldman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldman (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This re-issue from House of Windsor is very welcome to this old-timer. The dryness was ideal for me, and the pipe stays lit very,very well. My daughter and her children came into my den and she says "that smells nice, you should smoke it more often!"

After a charring light and then lighting it fully, it burned evenly to the bottom of the bowl with no re-light. No bite and very good taste. Try it!!