A cache of dark Burley enriched by a bounty of bright Virginia flake, black Cavendish, Turkish leaf, and hearty Cyprian Latakia, Sea Dog is sure to keep you on an even keel when you're caught in the doldrums.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging2oz, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Pappyjoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pappyjoe (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I opened my tin of Sea Dog in January and have less than half a jar left. When I open the jar, I smell a wonderful aroma of a sweet, smoky tobacco with just a hint of grassiness. If not for the Latakia, to my nose, it’s reminiscent of Amphora (without the topping) or Prince Albert. Then again, if you take out the burley you have something very close to Rattray’s Red Rapparee which is a Scottish blend.

Sea Dog is a good ribbon cut that I have no problem packing into a bowl. The first couple of puffs upon lighting is the smoky Latakia floating on top of the burley and black Cavendish. The Oriental/Turkish is barely there to me, sort of like putting a half teaspoon of sugar into a cup of black coffee. The Virginias appears as a slight sourness at the backend of the puff.

I didn’t notice enough of a change in flavor or aroma in the top 2/3rds of the bowl, but I do get something different from the bottom third. The first time, I thought it was turning ashy but the more I smoke it, the more I start thinking of a good Connecticut wrapper cigar.

Pipe Used: Briar, clay, Meerschaum, Cob