Not a pressed tobacco, but 'double fermented'. The advantage of this process is that the tobacco is very smooth and mild, together with a pleasant aroma. South American, Zimbabwe and U.S. flue-cured tobacco together with Burley and Malawi dark-fired tobacco.

BrandDanske Club
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Strong
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Very Mild
1.9
Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (20)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I am quite surprised, that this tobacco hasn't gotten better reviews. I hadn't smoked Black Luxury for quite a while, but had good memories of this weed. So, while visiting my local tobacconist, I picked up a 50 g pouch in order to base my review on recent experience.

Upon opening the pouch, the sweet and slightly pungent scent of the double fermented contents pleasantly filled the room. The tobacco is very moist, which explains the problems some have described in keeping their pipe lit. My recommendation is to leave the pouch open for a day or two. The coarsely cut tobacco has the color of roasted arabica coffee beans. The cut and moisture content make packing your pipe a little tricky.

I usually need only 2 matches to light my pipe, but as I already mentioned, this was too moist for that, so it took me 4 matches to get a proper light. Once lit, you have to draw frequently to keep it going, again due to the moisture. This entails the danger of tongue bite, if you're not careful. This, again, is the reason I recommend drying the tobacco somewhat, which alleviates the problem, making packing, lighting and smoking much easier. It does burn all the way down without leaving a dottle.

Black Luxury offers the smoker a pleasantly sweet and full bodied aroma, rather reminiscent of Bailey's Irish Cream with just a hint of cinnamon, that is not at all overpowering. My wife commented that she really enjoys the room note. I do not notice any nicotine kick or buzz, which is why I rate the strength as mild to medium.

If you are not a full fledged lover of aromatics, then stay away from BL! This is a classic Danish aromatic, and in my opinion a very pleasurable smoke. I would recommend it for a cold winter's day or an evening with company, as the room note will definitely please the crowd.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Is kind of pleasant in a church warden pipe and with a little bit of care but when I changed in a typical Peterson pipe was like a struggle to keep it burn. Anyway the taste is good enough, flav kind of pleasant, the rest average. If you have nothing better than this one is enjoyable enough for you and people around. Try it for a change...

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild Strong Mild Tolerable to Strong

A typical "Over the Counter" baccy in Germany. Smells and tastes like toffee, vanilla and caramel (burned sugar, that is). Gurgles in bent pipes, simply too much sauce that causes condensation. Try mixing it with other 'straight' tobaccos, maybe you'll feel happy with it. I won't buy it again. 2 of 5 stars (for the room note)

Arctic Briarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arctic Briarian (6)
Very Mild Very Strong Very Mild Tolerable

Perhaps for people who love vanilla (in their pipe that is) I could somewhat recommend this. However, if it is just sweetness you are after, you can easily find something better.

The flavor, although overwhelming, is not even so bad. My main problem with this blend was that I found it a very wet smoke which didn't burn well, needed constant attention and was always gurgling with condensation. When your pipe feels like a drinking straw in charred vanilla juice and you no longer seem to be smoking tobacco, no matter how hard you work to keep it going - you find yourself in an altogether unsatisfying pipe experience.

boyenne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boyenne (6)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Strong

When opening the pouch, the smell of the tobacco is quiete nice, and at the same time the smell of the flavoring is a little overwhelming. There's no pure tobacco smell of any kind.

The packing goes easy. The lightning a little less easy. It burns well when smoking slow but it needs attention.

The taste is mild and the smoker does not taste tobacco, but the pure flavoring. The same goes for the room note.

A little too much flavoring in my opinion, but recommended for those who like heavy flavored tobaccos.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

A good / average black cavendish with a mocca / toffee casing. Burns cool and delivers good taste and aroma.

Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Strong

As a beginner who had been bitten by a few tobaccos, I succumbed to the Black Cavendishes for a while. I'll say this in its favour: I tried several pouches before finally giving up on it.

Of the large number of vanilla-flavoured BCs out there at the time, Black Luxury was one of the best, together with Black Diamond. Which does not say very much, really, because BD contains generous amounts of VA.

Out of the fresh pouch or tin, this tobacco is soggy and hard to light. The tin aroma is delicious, though. The vanilla sauce gives it a strong (and pleasant!) room note, but for the smoker, this one offers a choice between two hells: fresh, it goes out every few sips and attempts to drown the smoker with condensation. Dried even a little, it'll burn like Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD, and still flood your pipe, and most of the flavour will have gone where the woodbine twineth to boot.

If this were the last tobacco blend on earth, I'd give up smoking.

Amordad12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amordad12 (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

very mild and very dry and you have to use lightr more than usal but the flavoring in very mild i like this tobacco and i use it

atman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atman (7)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Fill my list of tested blends. I tasted this once... don't like aromatic blends.

(Please correct the following problems: my review must be at least 25 words long)

Marco1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marco1982 (6)
Very Mild Strong Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I had a few bowls of this and I can't say I enjoyed it much. It's sweet, it's vanilla, but it's just too sweet and too vanilla. However, I mixed it with some cherry ambrosia (macbarens) and it was quite interesting. 1/3 black luxury (max. otherwise all you taste is the vanilla) and 2/3 (min.) cherry ambrosia and you get a nice fruity, vanilla-based tobacco.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Overall this is decent. It comes as an interesting surprise that everything is black. Black pouch, black leaves etc. It is quite smooth and not so hot when you smoke it.

You can smoke it as it is - but the resulting experience is very much One-dimensional. Probably you will not be able to stand it for long due to shear boredom. The resulting room note is quite strong and sweet - perhaps even sickening in its sweetness.

I thoroughly agree that this performs much better if mixed with something else. I did have a no-name strong aromatic which was bought in Russia. If I had understood correctly at the time this was also intended to be used for making your own blends. The pouch aroma was something between herbal tea and tangerine - and I could not really stand it. It also burned quite hot...

So, I mixed the two up and the result was quite agreeable and did not get excessively hot.

Arun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arun (7)

If you like sweet tobacco, I recommend Black Luxury. It is really very smooth. However, I admit that this is not suitable for all day smoking.

Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This tobacco may be produced with mildness and smoothness in mind, but the fact remains it will parch your tongue and impair both your pipe and your taste buds (at least for a week!). Out of a whim, I bought a 50 g. pouch once, in a rather cold and windy day while living in the East Anglia corner of Britain, and I could never finish it.

I don't mean to say this is an awful tobacco, but it is rather similar to Borkum Riff's Black Cavendish: excessively cased (vanilla and some other sweet agent), inevitably goopy and far too enervating to be enjoyable. I do enjoy a good aromatic every once in awhile, but this stuff is just too much for me. Absolutely no tobacco taste and so sweet I can't taste the flavors of anything else for weeks!

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is 100% sweet Danish Cavendish. The same thing as that used in Sweet Dublin from Orlik. For me, this is a blending tobacco and it should not be smoked as it is. Who would want to smoke pure Perique or pure Latakia?

I guess if you like the taste of classic Danish Cavendish, and would like to add a little extra to a boring aromatic, this might be the thing for you. I'll just steer clear and stick to my VA-flakes....

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)
Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Like the reviewer above, I got my hands on this tobacco in the "Smoker's Cocktail" pipe tobacco collection. My Father was visiting relations in Britain when the clerk at the duty free talked him out of buying the Dunhill variety pack for the variety package containing Black Luxury, Mixture, Sail, Clan and Capt. Black. I'd like to take this opportunity to wish the clerk at Manchester airport duty free a case of incapaciating flatulance.

Upon opening the package the first thing I noticed was the complete lack of tobacco smell. Instead I noticed a sweet, molasses syrupy kind of smell. Hmmm, not a good start. I chose a clay pipe to smoke the stuff in so at least I'd be able to burn out the smell if it smoked like what it smelled. It did, but worse. The material in the package (I can't call it tobacco) packed easily and lit with no problem. The flavour was mostly absent, tissue paper soaked in honey would have had more tobacco flavour. The room note reminded me of the smell of a pot left unattended on the stove buring a combinationn of perfume and carmel. The tobacco burned very hot, though on the bright side it wasn't as moist as other aromatics I've smoked in the past. However, it did leave a lovely layer of goop on the sides of the pipe bowl and I'd imagine if someone had the misfortune to smoke this travesty in a brair, meer or corncob they'd have to be tasting sweet perfume for a good long while after.

If someone offers you this tobacco, ball up your fist, hit them and run.

Jumbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jumbo (12)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This came in a "Smoker's Cocktail" my wife brought back from Europe. (The "Cocktail" included Sail Yellow, Clan, Erinmore Mixture and CBW...a nice sampler.) I'd never seen it before, and selected a smallish no-name Canadian I keep for test-driving unknown aromatics. The pouch contains a somewhat dry, uniformly jet-black broken flake, smelling strongly of vanilla. The flake packs well and crowns nicely to the charring light, producing a cloud of medium-dense smoke which my wife immediately praises. (She likes this better than CBW.) It's a little light on smoke for my taste, though. I like a thick, dense cloud. Taste...what taste? I can barely taste any tobacco at all. There is nothing here. Some vanilla, sure, but otherwise nothing. This tobacco is so heavily cased that, despite its dryness out of the pouch, it's impossible to keep lit. I'll finish this pouch, to please my wife, who after all was a sweetie-pie to buy it for me. I don't dislike it...I just don't like it.