From P&C's website: Previously only available from Dunhill stores, My Mixture 221B Baker Street makes a triumphant return after a long hiatus. This is a Virginia/Burley blend with a subtle top note in a similar vein to Royal Yacht and 3 Year Matured Virginia, but not quite as intense. Top quality leaf is cut into a fine ribbon and produces a relatively mellow flavor and aroma, but make no mistake, this is a robust blend with plenty of strength. 221B Baker Street is strong enough to delight the Great Detective himself.

BrandDunhill
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

2.9
JimInks (2040)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias are a little grassy with some citrus and dark fruit, along with a touch of smokey wood, floral and earth. The nutty, molasses sweet, lightly woody, toasty burleys play an important supporting role. There is some dark fired Kentucky present, which has hardly any spice. I can’t precisely define what the toppings are, but I get a light plum, raisin, citrus and fruit (apricot?) with a slight alcohol base, which is not distracting. The toppings are in the same family as the Dunhill’s Royal Yacht and Three Year Matured blends; in between both regarding strength and effect as well as having a little flavor variation by comparison to the aforementioned Dunhill blends. The strength is a step over the medium level, while the taste falls just shy of that. The nic-hit is almost medium, though it, along with the strength and taste positions gather a little more potency as you go along. Won’t bite, and I experienced no harsh or dull moments. Burns at a slightly more than moderate pace, cool and clean with a very consistent taste. Requires few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. The pleasant after taste and room note linger for a short while. Almost an all day smoke for the experienced smoker, and not quite one for the novice.

It compares very favorably to the original, and in back to back comparison, I note few differences, except the older version has a slightly more fermented taste, and is a little smoother. The older version has a little more potent nicotine and taste level, the latter being a little richer, deeper than this new release.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (113)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I like this tobacco. The combination of Virginia and Burley leaf is quite balanced, but I am not sure it's got any Dark Fired in it. There is this subdued sweetness that comes and goes which I find quite interesting. I am getting grassy/earthy undertones from the Virginia whereas the Burley leaf sort of adds a toasty or darker dimension to it. I am finding this tobacco pretty much in line with Ye Olde Signe in some respects, but not as strong and full. The blend seems to gravitate more onto the Virginia side of the argument, but the Burley leaf will pick every now and then without quite dominating. All and all it is a very nice smoke I would like to recommend for a change of pace.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Dunhill - My Mixture 221B Baker Street (Re-release).

There isn't any chunks or un-rubbed pieces in the blend, it's all slight ribbons. Mainly the blend comprises medium and dark browns but there are a few flecks of lighter leaf in there. 221B doesn't need any airing from the fresh tin, it can be smoked imminently; well, mine could.

I quite enjoyed the first quarter of a bowl, but then it drifted downhil. The topping seems to me to hail from some form of liqueur. The alcoholic sharpness is easily obtained and there's an exotic fruitiness; apricot brandy maybe? The only tobacco taste I get is the Burley, I don't get any grass or hay from the Virginia. 221B burns well, gives a coolish smoke, and doesn't bite me at any point. To me, the flavour gets stronger as the bowl burns: what begins as a gentle embellishment, takes on too much of a harsh aromatic trait.... and ruins things.

I don't like the room-note, and the nicotine's medium.

My expectations for this were FAR too high. Very disappointing.

Not recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Founders Edition

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (175)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the classy designed tin I got greeted by a somewhat nutty-sweet, almost chocoalty scent. Raisin I can also pick up, along with some typical dark fired smokiness in the back. Hard to find words for the tin-smell, this is as good as I can define it. Very reminiscent of Peterson's Irish Whiskey tin-note (which also is a Va/Bu/df-Ky mixture), but 221b Baker Street's tin note seems less sweet and a tad more natural to me.

The fine cut ribbons inside the tin look tempting with a evenly ratio of black, brown and orange-yellow ribbons. You can clearly distinguish the three leafs contained - Virginia, Burley, dark fired Kentucky. Firmly pressed into the tin, a tad too moist for my gusto, so I prefer at least 30 mins. of drying time for a freshly cracked tin.

I prefer airing the whole tin out for several hours, not because of the moisture, but because of the top-flavouring, which fades a bit when airing out. Fresh out of the tin I found the tobacco to be too much subdued by the top-flavour. Airing it out brings up the tobacco-y qualities a lot more.

The flavor-profile is rich, full-bodied, yet rather simple. A nutty-sweet aroma is the star player, underscored by a slight, but everpresent woody-smokiness, that's not too spicy tho. It also holds a decently earhy quality in the back. The added flavoring seems to give mild notes of raisins and nuts as well as something reminiscent of hop or malt. Slightly alcoholish touch to it, yet bareable even for me, who doesn't like nor drink alcohol drinks. Spicy, but not overwhelmingly. Sweet, but not too sweet. A dark, Burley-ish character, that's not offering too much variation, yet the flavors that are there, are of delightful taste.

Medium+ in strenght, both nicotine and tastewise, whilst the taste is a tad stronger than the actual nic-hit. Consistent flavor, with no dull spots. Doesn't bite, and no harsh moments, if smoked moderately.

I was expecting this to be a "cousin" of Peterson's 3Ps, and in a way it is. It's like the "darker"-toned pendant to 3Ps. Yet to my personal taste, 3Ps is light-years ahead of 221b Baker Street. Doesn't mean 221b is bad - it just means (t me) 3Ps is unrivaled in "Old English Style"-smokes.

I find the flavoring to be subduing the tobacco a bit too much, especially when cracking a fresh tin. Airing it out helps tho!

Clearly a at least 3-star worthy classic(al) blend in old english manner, which was exactly what I was looking for. For some this may be 4-star, yet it's surely beaten by 3Ps, so I'll stick to 3(.5) stars! ;-)

221b Baker was a pleasant insight in the world of Dunhill blends, and I recommend it to anyone who likes blends in the fashion of Petersons 3Ps, Burley-forward lovers and I can also see this being a choice for English smokers who want a change of pace.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Churchwarden

Similar Blends: Peterson - Irish Whiskey , and in the same manner of mildly flavored "english style" blends like,, Peterson - Peterson's Perfect Plug.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (126)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Took me some time to find this blend and i was very happy to receive it.once you pop the tin a sweet floral smell comes out.then you get a second deeper smell a plum smell also comes out,though very light.the tin moisture is perfect packs ok(despite some chunks included) lights easy and needs some relights.while smoking there is a complexity.virginias are the main player.they are the same as 3 year old matured but tonned down.grass,citrus,lots of dark fruits and floral essenses are the main flavours wich are combined very well with the burleys wich are sweet,earthy and spicy.this combination is unique i could say!burns medium hot without creating moisture.the nicotine level is almost medium and the room note tolerable.this blend differs from other Dunhill blends and definitelly it's worthy trying.it can be an all day smoke for some.

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

I bought this one at the same time as I got my first tin of Ye Olde Signe as I was struggle to decide what to buy. Much like that one it took me a while to resolve the flavour but I think I got there in the end.

The tin note is very mild, possible sweet and woody, while the colour is dark with a multitude of medium brown flecks. It lights and packs easily, inspite of what others may say is a damp tobacco. I haven't picked up anything sweet or citrus as described in other reviews, but I picked up hints of hay and nuts and a decent wallop of oak with a nice undertone of earth. I could swear there is a hint of kentucky in here.

This seems to be a lighter version of of what I would consider to be heavier tobaccos such as Old Dark Fired or 3Ps, but without the sweetness or frutiness that either of them may possess. It seems to me to be a good smoke for after a stout evening meal as one settles in for putting one's feet up after a sterling day's work. It is becoming a firm favourite and has joined that very small yet slowly growing club of tobaccos where I have gone out and bought a second tin straight after finishing the first. Thank you Dunhill and please keep up the good work.

Pipe Used: Cuban Cigar Club Billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Cuban Cigar Club

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A pleasant, almost mellow blend of VAs with Burleys (maybe just a hint of Dark Fired VA?) A bit on the fast-burning side due to the thin short ribbon cut, the top note is just a hint of dark fruit. If a new pipe smoker wanted to try their first non-aromatic which was well-balanced, and not 'too much' anything (to much VA or Burley, too strong a topping, etc.) but just a nice straightforward mixture, this could be a good one to try.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: 3 months after purchase

Purchased From: Danish Pipe Shop

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

VA with Dark Fired and Sun-Cured, the tin label says. OK, got to try, since with Dunhill, Dark Fired usually means KY, which I like.

Opening the tin, the note is sweet-ish, with a very solid whiff of the mentioned DFK, and just a touch of chocolate -- probably suncured Burley, which would make sense in a blend like this. The ribbon is about 1/3rd bright (the VA), a goodly amount of medium to dark brown (Burley) and almost black, which I figure is the KY.

As with most Dunhill ribbons, stuffing and lighting is easy, as is maintenance. The flavour comes out sweet at first, with the KY spice settling in soon enough. Some fruity flavours in there, which I attribute to the matured VA and the Burley included in this blend. There may be a citrus flavouring on the VA component.

At the end, nothing but ashes is left in the bowl for me. A satisfying smoke, and despite the lack of Latakia, this is a fine example of a traditional English blend which I may well come back to. Not much variation in flavour, but overall quite satisfying.

Pipe Used: db Mayflower series

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin; 5 months

Purchased From: DanPipe, Lauenburg, Germany

Similar Blends: Kapt'n Bester - Dark Fired Pipe Blend.

Smokeandbehappy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeandbehappy (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

When i opened the tin I was really turned off by the smell, I have to say the smell told me to throw it away. But of course I didn't. It was a little wet so I layed it to dry for a little while. And when it have had a little dry time it was perfectly smokable. I'm glad I didn't throw it away, cause it is pretty good. After smoking it I was craving the taste of it after a couple of hours. It was a nice addition to the tobacco collection. I will def grab this from time to time. It's not one I will smoke on the regular, but a nice smoke to enjoy once in a while. It's not so strong and I sense a little topping of some sort. This is not aromatic, it's simply a unique smoky tobacco.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 106