Iwan Ries

3.4
BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based:

In 1969, on the 2nd weekend in August, 500,000 kids gathered in the rain at the previously unknown farm of Max Yasgur in up state New York for a little fun. Afterwards, Max's farm would forever be referred to as Woodstock. Subsequent polling, many years later, had over 5 million respondents claim they were at Woodstock on that weekend.

I am reminded of Balkan Sobranie.

Why do we chase ghosts? It certainly must be disheartening to the new smokers here, for they will surely come to conclude that they missed out on the great tobaccos of yester-year and they've nothing left to smoke but wannabe leftovers. Like a painter who dies, a vanished tobacco takes on mythical qualities unachievable by todays blenders.

Drivel!

I, who lost my beloved SSM (superior to Balkan Sobranie IMHO), still see a bright future for tobacco.

For I have smoked Samuel Gawiths Skiff Mixture.

It has been quite an odyssey for me, all of these tasting and reviews. For I am a private and simple man. Not for me to have a rotation of tobaccos. No, I have always been content with one tobacco, when I knew it to be the best. Early on there were others sampled, not because variety tempted me, but because I worried I might not be smoking the best. But I was. To me, finding the right tobacco was akin to a happy marriage: contentment & fulfillment. Others need not apply.

But then they took it away from me.

In hindsight, seeking to replace the standard of all English tobaccos, it would have been logical to look to an English blender first. I failed to, and it took me a lot of different tins to get here. But here I am, and once more, I am contented. There are 3 or so more blends in the drawer yet to be tried (and a few from Comptons ordered over a month ago, paid for, but not yet shipped...), but its all right if they amount to less.

This tobacco is complex, but not in the typical sense of flavor. What is complex, or complicated (as it surely must be because it is so rare), about this tobacco, and SSM, is how much it develops as you progress down through the bowl. Initially you might light up, take a few puffs, and wonder about my 4 stars. I'll give you that. Patience my boy! For both SMM & Skiff have perfected the sneak attack. With the vast majority of all of these tobaccos I have tried, they grew worse as the bowl went down and when it ended there was always a feeling that it was time. Not so Skiff! Most of the time when I am about half-way through something magical happens, just like the old SMM. and you won't want it to end. It begins to beg your indulgence. It inspires an appreciation that compels one to suddenly take notice, - to slow down-, to savor, to abandon greed and to forget haste. To wish that it would never end...

Aye, this is the Magic of pipe tobacco.

Skiff is rich and smooth, but even so, strong enough to leave an experienced smoker satisfied. There is no harshness here, but no weakness either. The boys in the heather cry Soap! and Menthol! But I detect neither of these. There is a flavoring here that is unusual, but after several tins it still strikes me as neither good nor bad, and certainly not the main part of the experience: a perfect balance of the only tobaccos of consequence, Virginia, Oriental, & Latakia. Which ones are favored and how are the cured? I havent a clue. I only know that when they put these three together in the correct proportions and with the correct processes, we have a term for the result: English Tobacco.

And Skiff is currently wearing the crown of Best English Tobacco That Is Readily Available. (And -shish- it's dirt-cheap!). And Samuel Gawith ( and sister company Gawith Hoggart) are without a doubt the finest producers of pipe tobacco in existence today.

Years from now, hopefully after I have expired, Samuel Gawith will be no more, just as all companies sooner or later run out. And then the reviews will begin of the incredible brown & black ribbons that were good enough to eat, but even better to smoke. The claims by other tobaccos will begin, asserting to be the legitimate (but always lacking) heir. And the new smokers will consume all this information, lament their unprovoked loss, and the cycle will begin again...

Oh well: Hodiernum vive diem! And: Smoke Skiff Mixture!

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I am not usually a huge fan of Gawith's tobaccos, but this one is a sleeper.

It's one of the very few PERFECT English mixtures left today, a masterpiece of subtlety, richness and complexity. One of the few tobaccos that smell and taste "like they used to". While absolutely not in-your-face as some other excellent Latakia blends, while not as immediately stunning as some of GLPease's tobaccos, it has an indescribable charm of its own.

It's quintessential in its "medium" style, a style you can't grow tired of. The same style the Dunhill blends of old like Standard Mixture or London Mixture had. Balanced, not too heavy, perfect for all day smoking, tasty but with no excesses, complex, refined.

Its tin aroma betrays its complexity, with its leathery, slightly putrid, organic, darkly sweet character. Yes, very few blends (even excellent ones) still have this "old" smell when opening a tin.

Maybe slightly moist in a fresh tin, it nevertheless burns fine, cool and regularly, with a slow taste development that's one of its great assets. Never monochromatic, on the contrary subtle and always changing nuances. Not a Latakia monster, but a feast of Virginia, excellent Orientals and the right amount of Latakia.

Together with Squadron Leader, Pelican, Westminster, Caravan, Maltese Falcon, Charing Cross and few others, one of the rare blends which still evoke old fashioned pipe smoking and can rival with the lamented "missing" masterpieces of decades ago.

Give it a try, by all means!

Sandy and black mottled color with a standard ribbon cut. Tin nose of sour and tangy orientals with latakia riding shotgun.

I've owned this tin for nearly two years but put off smoking it. I'm guessing that not only did other blends get in the way, but I've never been too enamored of SG or G&H latakia blends for the most part, and I expected this to be more of the same middle of the road affair. I was quite surprised. This is not a powerful smoke but it's highly flavorful. Orientals are well in the lead, with latakia and virginia alternating as the sidekick. For some reason I was thinking this one might be a lat bomb, but clearly it is not. While this does not possess the baldfaced "wow" factor of many GLP blends, lovers of those should definitely find something to like here. Not as much complexity as most GLP's but I get the impression Greg would enjoy this blend. Reminded me a bit of Samarra in taste, but didn't have that one's sneaky complexity and sense of restrained power. Skiff seemed more of a steady eddie, but still a very nice smoke. 4 stars for this, although for my personal taste, it misses greatness by the narrowest of margins. But if you're a Balkan lover (and if that designation is at all meaningful to you), you definitely need to try this one. I'm going to grab a few more tins, just for fun.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (42)

No doubt in my mind that Skiff Mixture is an "English" blend, although it is "brighter" than the usual fare due to leaf selection and flue curing. In the tin, the variegated assortment of tobaccos ranges from pale yellow to dark, dark brown, even black ribbons, and the tin note well reflects the constituent tobaccos. There seems to be just a little casing, but all I smell is tobacco in the tin, and this also translates to aromas and tastes once the smoke is underway, from the first puff to the last. Tin moisture is fine, and SM can be stuffed and smoked straightaway, which is how I prefer to approach it. While one might at any time become more or less conscious of one or the other tobacco varietals, SM's genius is its remarkably well balanced and civilized blend. The VAs underpin this mixture without fuss, nor do they interfere with the full development of the rich-but-light, not-too-spicy Orientals/Turkish leaf. The Latakia also does its part like a professional, without calling undue attention to itself. The "sandalwood" here is (mercifully) kept in check, and the Lat's net effect is just a little "smoke" and that smooth/sour depth that the best Lat can bring. The lot is neither sweet nor sour, really, as the blend works ensemble to set up and deliver the fragrant, delicious Turkish leaf to best advantage. SM lights easily enough and burns right down to a fine gray ash. In fact, watch the stoking, or some fine ash may influence the taste and/or aftertaste in the end. Strength is medium. Tastes are medium. There is plenty of smoke. Aftertaste is fairly brief, of the Turkish ilk; likewise the room note.

Skiff Mixture is all about understated quality and balance, and a comfortable smoke, reminiscent in this way of premium blends that are lost in fog to us now. It achieves its 4 star rating with quality and competence rather than drama.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: no way to know; fresh to me

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

DoomDealer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoomDealer (9)

After reading most of the reviews on here I thought I'd give this a shot. I had my mind on a solid, tasty, medium-strength English and this sounded about right.

First let me say, this is by no means a bad tobacco! This is well blended and of very good quality. The tin note is great, a classic Oriental/ English smell and it promised a fantastic smoke. Upon lighting, however, I was a little perplexed. I had somehow expected ... well ... more. Yes, it's a well-behaved, medium-strength, solid smoke but to my mind a bit bland. It's boring. For me, this blend is missing something ...

I smoke a lot of HH Old Dark Fired, Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture and occasionally Germain's Plum Cake, and even compared to just those three I can say with some confidence that there's not a lot going on in Skiff Mixture. It's a bit like managing to pull a real stunner down the pub on a Saturday night and then finding out that she's utter rubbish in bed. OK, perhaps a bit extreme as an example but you get the idea. SM is certainly NOT utter rubbish, but then it's not something that grabs you by the chanters and makes you whistle a tune either. It's the sort of thing I would smoke while I'm cutting the hedge. You're not really missing out on anything, so you may as well concentrate on other stuff while you're smoking this. It's good, but it's not earth-shattering. Let me put it another way: after every bowl I felt I should've smoked something else.

Initially I thought, perhaps I need to give it a few more bowls, different pipes, dry it out a bit, but even after half a tin ... still nothing. I did (or thought I did) detect an ever so slight hint of soap (as a few others have described) and I found the smoke to be quite creamy (again, others have noted this as well). Doubtlessly, these two are interconnected.

I admit, I'm a bit spoilt having discovered HH Old Dark Fired and being besotted with this stuff, so it's very difficult for anything else to compete with it (I don't deny secretly comparing every tobacco to it even if it's not necessarily fair or justified. HHODF is my personal Holy Grail of pipe tobacco), but on a whole Skiff leaves me pretty cold. I get more excitement out of smoking B&H's Mellow Virginia even if it's largely just because of the TB. Ultimately it's all down to personal taste. Will I buy it again? Probably not, but don't let that put you off.

UPDATE: I'm sorry to say that I've really gone off this blend. The more I smoked this the more I disliked it. With every bowl the soapy taste was more and more noticeable. I maintain that this is quality tobacco (4 stars over all say enough), but this blend is absolutely not my cup of tea. I had to throw the rest out ... horrible.

Pipe Used: Aldo Morelli, Ermanno Elite, Peterson Churchwarden

Purchased From: Brucciani Ltd

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (62)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an absolutely wonderful smoke. As the summer months come I like to have a few mild to medium blends on hand and picked up 4 oz. of this with my usual stuff. I was expecting a much smaller flavor profile than this! It is creamy, smoky, sweet, notes of leather and wood and the orientals provide a floral sweet/bitterness note that only a Balkan can provide. This is deep, rich, flavor that interchanges between the orientals and the lat. and then the VA's. It changes enough that I never get board with it and it always makes me want another bowl. About mid-bowl I also get an iron/iodine taste that is a little medicinal but in a very good way that is found in the finish. It is very good in group 3 bowls but it sings in my group 5's. A broader chamber really makes this come alive. There maybe a topping on this one as it is sweeter than most and the sweetness lingers on the palate more so than many others. However, if it is topped my best guess would be a simple sugar water nothing more than that and it is so slight it does not add or detract from the flavor at all. This is an absolutely outstanding blend that should age well. I would like to try to do that but all 4 oz. are gone now so I will have to order some more ASAP.

This could be an all day smoke the Nic hit is not really noticeable to me and I find myself smoking several bowls of this every day. It will find a place in my rotation during the summer months and maybe year around. When you wake up wanting a bowl you know it is good!

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (32)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Took me a long time to decide between this or Squadron Leader, the latter being the more talked about in most circles I frequent.

I pulled the trigger and bought SM.

Opening the tin you're greeted with a beautiful ribbon cut with colors ranging from the dark latakias to the brown VAs all the way to the yellow and green orientals. It is a little moist and could due some drying out. Maybe about 10 minutes and you should be ready to pack.

The quality of the leaves are wonderful as I have yet to find a stem or anything other than pure tobacco leaf. I find this universal for most Gawith blends.

I know this isn't the most complex English/Oriental that you're going to smoke so don't expect a cornucopia of flavors. But do expect a wonderful balanced (which is the key word) smoke. It's not a giant orchestra but rather a four man jazz band that's hitting all the right notes. The orientals are present and have a wonderful give and take with the sweet VAs. I didn't find this to be too heavy on the Latakia and it was just enough to kind of fill in the voids left by the former two.

I have C&D Star of the East (bulk) and while I enjoy that blend, I find the orientals to be too sharp. SM on the other hand has wonderfully rounded flavorings and leaves a creamy sweet flavor on your taste buds while SOTE also embodies the creamy flavor but something closer to a tangy cheesecake and has more potential to bite or whip the tongue.

I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in trying an oriental tobacco. It has just the right balance but in no way dominates in any area. Maybe, the orientals come out the most while smoking.

I will definitely be guying another tin of this wonderful tobacco.

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 066: Star of the East (Less heavy on the orientals).

Dietl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dietl (8)

I first picked up a can of Skiff when I visited a local B&M tobacconist and just wanted to give him a sale. Despite my small purchase, he's since gone out of business, but so have most of them in my area.

I had no idea what Skiff was other than that it was a Samuel Gawith blend. Squadron Leader is one of my favorite English blends along with Penzance. The can I bought seemed fairly old, having some discoloration and staining of the can and label. However, I thought that might be a good sign that the can was well 'aged.'

Upon opening, the tobacco seemed rather moist, but had a nice English aroma. The 'smokey' smell typical of these blends was present, but much lighter than my favorites above. My tin did have a few stems in it but not an objectionable amount. After loading it into one of my pipes dedicated to tobaccos with Latikia, I found that it lit easily and burned well as long as I periodically tamped it lightly as it burned down.

I was very pleasantly surprised. I found it milder than SL or Penzance and a real treat of a smoke. I experienced no bite, but then I often smoke Virginias as a counterpoint to my English blends (hence I tend to draw lightly). It has more of what I'd describe as a pure 'tobacco' taste (the Virginia?) than the other two, but with a nice light balance of Latakia to give just that hint of zest. After a full bowl I sensed the presence of vitamin N, but not in an overwhelming way. Altogether, I think this one will be one of my go-to's when I want an English without the heavy Latakia flavor. I was undecided whether to give this a three or four star rating but settled on the four to counter some of the ratings below. This is NOT a one star tobacco nor a two star for that matter. I personally feel that anyone that does not like this blend really just doesn't like English blends.

I like the blend so much that I've bought it in bulk and have stored most of it in 4 oz. Bell jars. It's stored with my bulk Penzance and SL. I smoked a bowl today after lunch and found that I did not find a significant difference in it from that sold in the tin. However, I have dedicated a rusticated Savinelli with a nice military bit for this blend as I'm sure the Latakia will remain with the pipe as most English blends do.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

When I'm not smoking a matured virginia plug, I like the English and Balkan flakes/plugs and while I do like a heavy latika tobacco, I am very impressed with this mixture. I wasn't prepared to be and really thought it was too light for my taste. It is lighter than many in this style, but oh what a surprise!

I buy this by the pound but I also have some tins that date back to 95 and while the "new" is wonderful, I open a tin every 6 months or so, and the creamy smoke and marriage of flavors, is quite wonderful and truly delictable.

I smoke this in a group 5 size straight billiard and enjoy it any time of day or evening. Excellent with hot tea, or a fine single malt.

...a pipe is to be savored.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Samuel Gawith's Skiff is what Flying Dutchman OUGHT to be. I freely admit this statement is made from perceptions thirty-five years apart. But in the era of the Euro, what the heck?

The names and logos of both conjure sailing ships (as does Sail) and both blends claim Latakia as a component. Though Flying Dutchman is Danish and Skiff is British, they are alike in appearance, cut, and character. The difference is in the smokability. Flying Dutchman, as I recall, had a delectable sidestream aroma--but seered two layers of oral mucosa with each bowlful. Skiff has nary a bite; it is one of the smoothest tobaccos I have ever smoked.

That is not to say Skiff is one of the best. It is an acceptable smoke. There is not much flavor to be had; no definable taste to be detected. Samuel Gawith is a venerable and respected blender; there is no reason to doubt their word as to the ingredients in Skiff. To me, however, there is just not much taste.

If one wants a smoldering pipe in his mouth, irrespective of flavor, Skiff is the blend to go to. It will neither offend nor disappoint anyone. But if one is seeking a bracing tobacco to stand up to a strong headwind...look elsewhere.

**Though I cannot give Skiff Mixture another star, experience with this blend has illuminated some of the qualities others have found so enjoyable. Skiff takes time to appreciate for those not accoustomed to this type of tobacco.

The charms of this blend become more apparent the more it is smoked. It will never be a powerhouse of flavor or strength, but it might make a good all-day smoke for those who appreciate the more delicate tastes of a light English. It is unusual...but tasty.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (64)

Very interesting.

This is almost an oriental blend, the Latakia is very much in the background and playing a supporting role. The orientals are top class, very spicy and deep, very prominent. and the interplay between these and the sweetness of the VA's is a glorious, sweet and sour combine into a wondrous cocktail.

High quality, beautiful aroma, easy to live with and light and keep going, doesn't take much maintenance.

The Lat comes through and adds a rich creaminess. Its a little inconsistent, the lat comes through as smoky here and there, and is in the background for the most part, but it can be a little inconsistent.

I like this. Sip and don't plough through it, enjoy the nuances.

Pipe Used: Bulldog briar

Similar Blends: McClelland Orientals, McClelland Yenijde Highlander.

littlefield Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
littlefield (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This tobacco is a mild but not a boring smoke. Smoked in the early part of a Summer day, on the lanai in Waikiki. It was not out of place, performed the role well of a summer daytime smoke, not overpowering, light and easy with character. Picture a duet of oriental as vocalist and virginia as supporting pianist. I bought a 1oz sample online and packed my pipe right out of the "pouch" (i.e. Ziplock bag) it was mailed in, so I can't comment on the issue of the tin quality not being up to snuff. I'm looking forward to smoking the 1-ouncer again and procuring the charming looking tin in a future order.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Sam Gawith Skiff Mixture . I have been really looking forward to this one and it more than met my expectations ! The first good point to enumerate is the unlit Aroma , it is a very "raw" one with a great leathery scent to it , so enthralling it makes my mouth water ! Is it too wet or dehydrated ?... No , it's perfect . It appears to be a uniform dissemination of the different tobaccos , it isn't a mix that is selfishly overruled by one type . This a simple blend to ignite and the actual burn is great in its continuity . I rarely have to re-light mine and as it burns down it leaves behind a perfect White ash . The smoke now , WOW ! All along the temperature is superb as is the Nicotine amount , about Commonwealth strength and if you smoke for N it can be easily inhaled effortlessly . Although this has Latakia in it by no means is it a "Lat Bomb" , you get abreast the Latakia a fantastic Virginia Hay flavour with a pleasing Oriental sourness too . The room note is a positive one in the fact it is quite light and the smoking of this doesn't cause the atmosphere to resemble fog either . This is a blend I would be contented to smoke all day , I best stock up !!

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Very Pleasant

I bought this one just to try. Also the result was a pleasant surprise for me, as it is not mentioned too much. It does not have too much nicotine but not so little either. You can inhale it or blow from your nose. Either way the result will be pleasant. It has a distinctive aroma and taste. From ligthing the pipe, to the end owl the bowl, the taste stays the same. Nice ash. Does not burn too hot or quick. No tongue bite. What else would you like in a pipe tobacco... I think it is all there... Try it, you will not be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Various

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Seems like Skiff and Squadron Leader get mentioned together quite a bit on here. I have been smoking Skiff for quite some time, but just began to explore SL. So, I cant give an educated thoughtful dissertation on the differences or pros and cons of each. This review is just for Skiff. And it will be short and sweet. Not much to say that hasn't been said. It is classic, timeless, delicious, satisfying and never disappoints. I even love the tin. Its a work of art and if you tend toward English or Orientals, this will become a favorite in your rotation. After I get some more experience with SL, I will update this review with a comparison. But for now, just go get some Skiff. Its not expensive, you don't have to wait for months to find it, and its consistently fantastic. Cheers!

An outstanding Balkan. The Latakia and the sweet Virginias are in just the right proportions. The Orientals are superb. Very smooth, but not perfectly so. A little bit of an edge to them. That's just the way I like them. Buttery and creamy. Downright divine. Medium bodied with medium flavors. Not my favorite, but one of the best. Cellar worthy. I'll be stashing a few jars.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (38)

I had to write this one as a result of a mistake. I filled a small meer last night with Skiff, put it in my pocket, and forgot it. I've always LIKED this stuff for just what everyone else says: medium, light, steady, no attention needed, satisfying. BUT - since I usually dry this for maybe a half-hour - this bowl dried overnight in the pipe was almost a different smoke. I LOVED it. Started out just a bit sweeter than usual, but darkened steadily down the bowl to a surprisingly full richness at the end. Recommended to any piper as a good intro to Oriental blends. Edit: I just finished another tin only three months from purchase. Upgrading to 4 stars on grounds of good price & GREAT quality.

Pipe Used: small meer, large meer

Age When Smoked: I'm 70; the tin was 5.

Purchased From: J&R

The Happy Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Happy Piper (14)

Skiff is something of an enigma to me- it is a mild yet tasty and satisfying blend. I tend to prefer tobaccos which are far more robust than SKiff, but the sheer quality and naturalness of the leaf won me over. This is something one can smoke often without getting tired, without getting a headache or destroying your taste-buds- perfect for a first smoke when one wants to enjoy several different bowls over a nice bottle or long movie/chat/poker game. I would class it as a complex Va/Orntl, since the latakia is a mere suggestion, but if one adds some Frog Morton, Skiff has the backbone to lay a solid fundation for the tasty Lat wihout producing a nicotine-bomb. A very well-made blend indeed.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (66)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

While Squadron Leader did not give me any particular pleasure, the Skiff really surprised me. This is so good! It is not the latakia, giving the peppery.. The turkish is perfect here. I will buy again and again. This is like an aged Bordeaux, complex and satisfactory to the last sip. Burns to ashes, and you are ready for another bowl. Just a bit too mild for my personal preferences.

latakiaowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
latakiaowl (4)

SKiff Mixture was for some reason ( still unknown to me) my last try in the Samuel Gawith brand pout-pourri. I had smoked plenty of Commonwealth, Squadron Leader, Balkan, Navy mixtures but not the Skiff. Then I tried it by chance and went through the roof. As a lover of the now disappeared Balkan Sobranie the very first word which came to my mouth after puffing on the pipe was: "There it is, i've found it again". In my opinion, if you add just a pinch of Syrian Latakia this is the good old white tin BS. The cure of the tobaccco is different, I know: what used to be is no longer possible. But i simply LOVE this mix. It's like finding the twin sister of a woman you once loved.......... I've seen some reviewers finding it similar to Squadron Leader: no way, imho. SL is as flat as my wife's ironing board, while Skiff is pleasantly complex and plays in totally another league....

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (24)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I gotta try this one again. I bought an ounce from a tobacconist and I swear this stuff may have been sitting on the shelf for decades. Drier than a popcorn fart it was. It's a light English blend and very good. My ounce had a very short ribbon cut with a lot of fines. No bite, one match, and a light amount of nicotine for your after lunch and back to work puff. Latakia is the main player here but all of the players are lightweights. Nice and smokey, but not powerful. I'm going to order up a fresh tin of this one of these days to give the skiff another go. As it stands I prefer John Bull to the skiffer.

Pipe Used: Grabow Briar, MMHardwood, cob

Age When Smoked: ?????????????????

Purchased From: Smoker Club Mt Pleasant MI

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (89)

Every few years I find an English blend I really enjoy . I loved the old Dunhill Std mix med , IRC Royale , PS EOS and this year I found this Skiff Blend . It's a medium blend all the way and wont make your head swim or lat bomb you at all .

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Very Mild Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

On opening the tobacco was not extremely damp and not dry as a desert bush. Knowing the consistency of SG it's already good news. The smell in the tin is of Tommy Atkins boots. Smokes lightly, mildly, oriental is the only taste.

Throwing out the tin.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Beautiful balance and great presentation. This could be the best Turkish combination available. Like an earlier review stated it is very similar to London Mixture, but Skiff mixture takes the edge with its unique smoothness. I can truely say I love both LM and SM and as long as I can keep my hands on both mixuters I will be a happy smoker! ;)

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Upon lighting, I had this urge to sing "God Save the Queen".. then it occured to me it's the Turkish leaf making the difference :P It's one of the smoothest TR leaf I've tasted. curious about the source since we can't find that good leaf in Turkiye for ourselves.

Skiff is similar to Dunhill London mixture (not as much pungent as LM) which I had previously described as "the most harmonious blend I've ever smoked".. Move over LM, SM is in the house and it lip syncs to several national anthems all at once.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

The "wilder" little brother of Squadron Leader which has a pinch more of that Oriental spiciness and a bit less roasted sesame/incense fragrance. No Lakeland aromas detected. It has a bit more punch (both in taste and Nico-level) than Dunhill's EMP and is less Oriental-sour. Smells, packs and burns down like a dream. It is definitely a high quality tobacco and I'd give it 4.75 of 5 stars! Found it to be too moist straight from the tin though I can't wait to smoke another bowl. I usually like light aromatics, but this one is - along with Squad' Leader, London Mixture and Black Mallory - absolutely top notch.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

Of the accolades poured on Full Virginia Flake and a similar, though not as fervent following for Squadron Leader, Skiff seems to receive little recognition from the masses. It's common now to have the load of a Sam Gawith shipment disappear in just a few hours, and generally, Skiff remains on the shelf longer than most of the line. It's an unjust reputation, to be so popular yet still so unrecognized! But I'm fine with that, because Skiff comes out on top for me, even ahead of Squadron Leader.

For me, the problem with Squadron Leader is its ordinariness (is that a word?). It's sometimes described as an Oriental mix, but that's being generous. In my opinion, it's always smoked as a pure English, with a slightly increased Oriental ratio...which is nothing unique. You can find hundreds of mixes falling somewhere between an English and a Balkan. Squadron Leader's real popularity feels a product of the Sam Gawith shortage persistence. In today's mindset, everything originating from the blending house must be a masterpiece. Can you argue with Perfection?

Skiff Mixture reminds me much of Margate and London Mixture, very Oriental heavy, more so than London Mixture, and a bit less than Margate. It sits in the middle, perfectly balanced and ever friendly, ready to smoke all day, any time you like. The Virginias bring a bit of sweetness that Margate lacks and it's tamer in strength than London Mixture. I find all three more interesting than your standard Virginia dominated Latakia mixes. They are spicy, and invite one to puff while thoughtfully picking through the components, whereas standard Latakia mixes are all about the smokiness of the Latakia, stronger and sweeter Virginias, and less pronounced Oriental leaf.

Now, I need to say this, because it's infuriating. After opening a Sam Gawith tin, it's absolutely worthless. You'd better smoke that tobacco in three days, or you'll be met with rock hard, crispy leaf that breaks apart into dust. I had to rehydrate my Skiff, and it's entirely unnecessary. Of every tobacco manufacturer, Sam Gawith puts out the worst tins, by far. Seriously, take all that huge money you've been raking in lately, invest in some better tins and maybe, just maybe, buy a few more machines to satisfy demand. I'll smoke to that!

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (21)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I got this blend with the intention of finding another English/Balkan to provide a contrast to my current tin of Pease's Charing Cross (which I love). In my mind (and in my pipe), it does just that.

The latakia is present, but the orientals in this mixture definitely leave their mark. It's mild enough to smoke all day, whereas CC usually does me in after one bowl. This is very balanced, but characterful enough to hold its own in my memory. Also, having done some reading online and in forums about the "lakeland" scent, I have to say - it doesn't seem so gross and soapy in Skiff. In fact, I think the slightly floral topping adds nicely to this blend. It provides an excellent counterpoint to the punky latakia and highlights the Oriental notes. But I can see where some might find this annoying, intrusive or flat-out disgusting. It seems that certain mixtures by Gawith and other Lakeland co's are definitely stronger in this area.

All in all, Skiff hits the right note with me. I enjoy this tobacco in the morning on the patio... cool smoking and easily packed/lit, tasty all the way down.

While it doesn't blow me out of the water, so to speak, I would highly recommend this blend for someone looking for a solid, flavorful English that won't bowl them over. 3 strong stars in my book of taste, 4 stars in terms of Gawith's execution of creating a superb blend.

Update 4/7/11- I love this stuff... it's consistency, it's flavor, everything. It seems that every other tobacco I've smoked since buying a tin somehow makes me wish I'd just had a bowl o' Skiff. While my experience as apipe smoker is somewhat limited, as is my breadth of tobaccoes, I'm confident that Skiff has earned a permanent place in my stable! 4-stars, full-on. No reservations.

Rodrigo de Xerez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodrigo de Xerez (16)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE (after many tins): Clearly one of my three top tobaccos. Regular, consistent and absolutely delicious. Not soapy at all and quite complex.

Rdx score: up to 92.95.

My dear friends: I love this one.

I am very big fan of Orientals, and as Pipestud noted: "If you are in search of something mild, semi-sweet with lots of Oriental flavor and just a hint of Latakia, this is it" (I always orient my searchings with Pipestud remarks because he describes tobaccos perfectly well... even considering my tastes are quite different)

Not overwhelming but subtle Latakia in right proportions, nice Virginias (with very little Lakeland soaping)and gorgeous Orientals which are present the whole smoking experience.

As a matter of fact, I do prefer this one to Squadron Leader (against the most common opinions)Like Quick_nick, I find this one "much more complex and interesting" than the SL. Of course, it is just a matter of personal taste.

RdX score: 90.9 (obtained after smoking in 10 different pipes)

Stevethesuperhero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stevethesuperhero (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I have heard people say that Skiff mixture is similar to early morning pipe. I would disagree. EMP has more sharp, spicy orientals to it. But it does work as an early morning smoke.

Subtle complexity, gentle strength yet fullness of flavour is what marks out skiff, and in my opinion, makes it stand out from the crowd. Cool as a sea breeze is the strap-line on the tin and it describes it perfectly.

What it doesn't mention is the subtle sweetness. This tobacco has a mild sweetness to it. this might either be a very light topping of something like vanilla, or just sweet virginias. But whatever it is, working together with a mere sprinkling of latakia somehow allow for the orientals to shine forth in all their gentle, full fragrance.

Skiff is a perfect smoke for the first pipe of the day. For me, EMP was too overpowering for this, tending to sear the pallet first thing, but Skiff gets it just right. For veteran smokers who require a little more punch, or for those later pipes of the day, Skiff may not hit the spot. But neither does it intend to. It seems that many tobaccos will be complex and strong, but this is the first tobacco I have found that is complex and interesting, and yet mild. Towards the end of the bowl the tobaccos really seem to synthesize and grow in character. The flavour grows fuller and a little more strength seems to be apparent, but this in many ways parallels what one would hope for in a first pipe of the day - a growing strength to welcome the sunrise!

If I was starting someone on the pipe, I may well buy them a tin of Skiff. Skiff can be happily smoked while working, causing no distractions, and smoked very well straight out of the tin.

A beautiful, light, interesting smoke. I happily give it 4 stars.

Update: April 2010 Still smoking this and really enjoying it. There are plenty of good "mixtures" on the market, but after going around sampling plenty, I truly believe this to be amongst the best. Simply stunning. 4 Stars is not enough.

kenneth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kenneth (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think the journey is over. Nirvana attained. Skiff Mixture Mild from the legendary Samuel Gawith stable of fine tobaccos has transcended me to new heights of smoking pleasure. This mixture has everything I sought from a tobacco. Suitable for every occasion from on the hills to by the fireside, morning, noon and night. My wife is still not happy with it but there again I have come to realise that she would not be happy with any blend and that only cessation of the activity would resolve the situation. Highly recommended mixture- try it. Other tobaccos explored which brought me to this point- Dunhill 965- Rattray's Black Mallory- 7 Reserve- Old Gowrie- Highland Targue-Red Rapperee- Peterson's University Flake- Old Dublin plus many others but this one really hits the mark

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (139)

A few months ago I had my first bowl of Squadron Leader. I was disappointed. Yesterday, I had my first bowl of Skiff Mixture Mild. I was very pleased. SL is heavier on the Latakia and lighter on the Orientals. Skiff Mixture is lighter on the Latakia and heavier on the Orientals. Just my cup of tea. Surprisingly, few reviewers share my preference. Maybe Skiff is not as readily available as it's stable mate. But that's what makes a horse race. It's now part of my stable of preferred blends.

Twenty-four hours later and I have changed my mind. I'm downgrading this mixture to two stars.

Update: It's been a few years since I last visited this blend. I'm raising my rating to 3 stars. This blend is very tasty, although a little light for everyday smoking. The orientals are delicious, offering a nice spicy taste. I may keep a tin around for social occasions. This blend must be smoked dry. If not, the orientals will be tasteless and the tobaccos will burn hot and taste harsh. Drying out thoroughly really changes this blend dramatically for the better. Virtually eliminating bite and providing a smooth and delicious smoke.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

I was surprised by Skiff. I normally would not try a latakia blend labelled Mild, but read one of the above reviews and gave it a try. Skiff is a somewhat mild, but still spicy Balkan that I found to be quite likeable. It is not as strong as Balkan Sasieni or as spicy or complex as some of the Pease blends, but is a pleasant change of pace. Skiff comes pressed in a rectangular tin at just the right moisture level for me. I found it better to break down some of the longer ribbons, but that is common for me.

Skiff will not be one of my regulars, but is a nice change of pace and will suit many who want some Balkan spiciness without the heavy latakia. The room note is far less offensive to others than Balkan Sasieni.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (89)

Quite pleasant and easy to smoke. Did'nt blow me away but the tin did go reasonably quickly. See other reviews for the full skinny. Not to wet like other SG's thank goodness.

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (19)

Took a while to favour these blend over the more popular Squadron Leader! The quality of the leaves are wonderful as I have yet to find a stem or anything other than pure tobacco leaf.

It's a nice light smoke that could be great to start your day or a wonderful post meal smoke. I will definitely be guying another tin of this wonderful tobacco.

Pipe Used: 4

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)

First of all I have to revise my review and bump it to 4 stars. The reason is because I've been enjoying the bulk version of Skiff Mix so much. So Ill forget about the soggy tins and move on. Some folks notice a mystery flavor in Skiff Mix and I think it's nutmeg. Certainly can't prove it, but I've been smoking the stuff every morning for awhile now. But basically, on my tobacco shelf, there used to be three jars of Dunhill blends; EMP, 965, and Nightcap sort of arranged in order of intensity. Along comes Skiff Mix in bulk form and instead lf trying to decide between smoking EMP or 965, I find myself going for Skif Mix. There are so many great reviews on Skif Mix and I really don't have much to add. But I am very appreciative that we can get high quality tobaccos from the Lakeland.

Pipe Used: cob

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

What should I say in addition to previous reviews? Nothing as it is one of the best English blends I have smoked. More Latakia than with Squadron Leader but SL doest not advertise to have much. Perfect balance and satisfactory smoke all along. Some SG tobaccos are damp and not easy to smoke: not that one, perfect from the first smoke when opening the tin. So my review is to share my enthusiasm with other smokers.

Pipe Used: Peterson's

Purchased From: La civette, Paris

Similar Blends: William P. Solomon - Presbyterian Mixture, Robert Lewis - Tree Mixture.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (127)

Latakia dominates in the beginning, closely followed up by the Orientals. "...full, round taste." noted in descriptor pretty well hits the mark. More full than Squadron Leader, with a different overall flavor profile. Tangy pepper note on retrohale. Burns well through the bowl. 3+ stars.

Pipe Used: Stanwell, MM

Age When Smoked: undated; bought 3 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Okemos, MI

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (36)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First English mixture tried, and loved it! When you open, the tin is a little bit humid, so I kept open for one day than tried out. The flavour is very good and pleasant, it’s better if you had a large breakfast/lunch/dinner before smoke it, it is perfect digestive. The room note it is pleasant and remind me my pipe shop, so is a big surplus. If you want to try out your first English mixture, I suggest beginning with this one.

2014-20-2 Second Tined Smoked

I would say it is a good tobacco but after a while the "cigarette" part comes up. Still a must have.

Simon&his dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simon&his dog (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lovely! Looking forward to my next bowl full. Something with enough about it to make you take notice but it does not grab you and overpower you. Highly recommended.

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)

Having just returned to pipe smoking after a hiatus of several years I was interested in trying something different from Squadron Leader, an English Blend I had smoked and loved before. Skiff Mixture has some mixed reviews but let me say that it is a solid English. Not as much Latakia as SL but this is made up with the addition of oriental leaf. I'm rather impressed in this reintroduction to English Blends and look forward to enjoying further bowls of this paired with a glass of good rye whiskey.

Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a nice blend. Very mild and lightly soothing to the palate. Floral notes, smokey. A solid, light oriental, not the usual fare from these guys, but most certainly nice to have around.

Smoke in peace, brothers and sisters of the leaf.

Charlie Allnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charlie Allnut (16)

Heaven is a good boat, a beautiful woman, good booze, and a pipe full of Skiff.

This ain't Squadron Leader. Less Latakia than SL, and the smoky stuff stays well in the background. Turkish and Oriental are the captain and first mate. The perfect mild English.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have to agree with many of the previous reviews: a pleasant English blend. Latakia is the main player in the mixture, but it is very much at medium strength. Those seeking a blend with more Latakia than blends like Squadron Leader, but not a Lat-bomb, should consider this.

I enjoyed this. It is a nice reliable english very similar to Squadron Leader. The only thing holding me back from a fourth star is the fact that I prefer SL over this one and will likely only be carrying SL in my rotation for that very same reason. YMMV

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (97)

This is what I would describe as a “serviceable” mild latakia mixture. In other words this is a blend that one could easily smoke all day and suffer absolutely zero ill affects from. No tongue bite or fatigue, no wooziness, no problemo. However this comes with a bit of a price. Skiff mixture is well balanced but somewhat light in flavor. It's got a nice sweet smoky aroma, but it's not incredibly complex. It has a slight piquant spiciness but very little character. Let's just say that in my humble opinion it's mostly devoid of any hallmark personality. However this blend does a nice job filling the Mild/Medium English role. Yes, Skiff Mixture is serviceable. It's a good, well behaved & mild mannered mixture. This is a good thing.

Personally I prefer blends with a bit more Oomph. However, this would be an excellent blend for all the purposes stated above and for anyone looking to segue into the world of quality latakia mixtures.

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I can't decide what EM is better between the SG Skiff mixture and the Commonwealth. Anyway they are both amazing EM, full in taste, smoky, classic and sincere. The Skiff mixture in particular is very well balanced, probably my first choice in a EM. The touch of burley mixed with a fine and soft turkish gives a round & smooth flavour effect. Despite the important presence of latakia is no pointy at all, instead gain a sort of leather and wheat taste that you can also smell when you open a fresh tin. Aristocratic and all but nauseating, you can smoke it all day long. Very super hyper highly recommended!

Type: English mixture ; Contents: Virginia flue cured, burley, turkish, latakia (Syrian probably) ; Cut: Ribbon ; Humidity: Wet and long time drying, but is better in this way ; Lighting: Simple and pretty constant burning, maybe a couple of re-lighting needed ; Pipe recommended: Medium bowl like the most of the EM, bent & half- bent in my preference but is very good also with a straight one.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (112)
Medium Medium Medium Strong

Now I had a tin in my cabinet for years. I really forgot all about it. Now for english belnds I prefer London Mix by Dunhill. but it hasnt been the same for a long while. I would recomend for LM smoker to try Skiff. It is a good replacment. good Nicotine level,Nice amt of latakia. and the Turkish comes in somehwere in the background to star and is then right up front 1/2 throught the bowl marrying nicely with the Latakia.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (113)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I bought this one under the mistaken impression it was a flake, obviously must have had a blond moment, quite a rare treat these days given my follicular challenged status. Never mind, I was pretty sure this one was still going to satisfy, given my appreciation for the SG leaf.

Was relatively happy with the tin aroma, not the kind of stuff to inspire sonnets but did it's job well. The lighting and packing were in much the same manner. The Latakia does come through well, it might be a little stronger than Squadron Leader, but given my liking for smoking it pure, it's not really an issue for me. The only real problem for me it is a little on the, well, not the dull side per se but it does get a little samy, the smokey, tarry taste continues throughout the smoke without the virginia or turkish popping up to say hello. As for tonguebite, there's a little at the start of the tin and it hits the roof of the mouth a bit but these seemed to disappear about a third of the way through, not a major issue though.

I sound like I'm having a bit of a downer on this stuff, but I hope I'm not, it's actually quite a good tobacco but, unlike Squadron Leader seems have different tastes popping up through each smoke, this tends to be humming the same note through out. I'm sure Katherine Jenkins still sounds good of she just kept up belting out a C all the time, but we'd still all rather she belted out an aria or two. So I'll resist my SG fanboy urge and give this three stars - a well sung monotone tobacco that's more like a microphone test than one of SG's performances at the Royal Albert.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Skiff: Cut from the same cloth as Squadron Leader, but a bit more pepper. Like SL, fairly one dimensional. A bit too spicy for all day, but a bit too blah for sit-down, contemplative. Needs drying, even though my sample is over six months old. More strength than SL, enough to make my palms sweat. Won't buy it again. I prefer Larry's Blend.

Two and a half stars.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (60)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Orientals, orientals, Virginia, Latakia, etc, etc, I won't bored with another review of skiff plenty of other smokers have already review this to death, excellent blend, no matter how you pack it or in what pipe you smoked it skiff always deliver, be careful thought the Virginia tends to bite if pushed, for some reason I have always imagine this to be dr watson's go to blend. The reason I'm not giving it 4 stars is because it has become a pain in the bud to find it.

Mark Devall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Devall (9)

When you open the tin it smells of Wrights Coal Tar Soap, it's like Squadron Leader but spicier. It's not better than SL and it's not worse. It's different that's all.

The tobacco in the tin is moist and needs a little drying but great quality tobacco. This is everything that you thought pipe smoking would be. Costs the same as Gold Block, St Bruno, Clan; no comparison.

Get some!

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (25)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried squadron leader and this one as well. Both of them are beautiful, but skiff mix is better suited to my taste. It gave me the wise smiling face, which is caused by the knowledge of that this 'secret' experience is given only to us, to the pipesmokers. So I'll keep this one in my cellar. 4 stars of course.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

There is no mention of Perique in SG's description of ingredients but it seems there is a peppery spicyness to the blend as though a pinch of Perique had been added. As others have remarked, Skiff tastes very similar to Squadron Leader. The only difference I could detect was the bit of spicey taste that SL lacks. It has become one of my favs and I will keep it in rotation if I can ever find more of it.

Aussie-man-die-as Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aussie-man-die-as (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Like many, I started with Squadron Leader and then tried Skiff, due to the reviews on this site. I definitely prefer Skiff. The strong, pungent Turkish tobaccos dominate for me, with the Virginia and Latakia blending in in the background. I did not expect to like it so much, but this is a winner.

Slightly damp in the tin, it dries out soon enough and then the ribbons are easy to pack, light and smoke to the bottom. It has a lovely, strong Oriental tin note that I come back to again and again. Many a time I have just opened the tin just for a sniff, and put it away again.

I find it very similar to Larry's Blend, perhaps a little less strong but similar in flavor. Highly recommended unless you do not like orientals with a pungent, sharp character and a delicious taste.

This too shall pass.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild English, with just a touch of Latakia, with Turkish leaf and Virginia providing most of the taste. If this description appeals to you then you will like Skiff. The ribbon cut makes the tobacco easy to pack and light. The moisture level is just about right. As some other writers have already said, Dunill London Mixture and Standard Mixture Medium were two of my favorite blends. When Murray stopped making Dunhill tobaccos I began my search for replacements. Squadron Leader became one of them. When I first tried Skiff I was not impressed, but with repeated tries along with my continued exploration of Current English blends Skiff was winning me over. I will be adding more Skiff to my tobacco cellar because I think Skiff is worth having at the ready.

vintagevacuumtube Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vintagevacuumtube (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A winner!!! That's my idea of how old English mixtures should be... Latakia is there, but you won't be overhelmed by it and will be free to enjoy sweet virginias and spicy and subtle orientals... pure delight!

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

This is an excellent Balkan blend that is well-balanced, rich and flavorful, yet fairly light and approachable. These days, it seems as if blends rely on ponderous doses of Latakia to achieve a sense of fullness. Not so Skiff. Orientals take the central role, which is increasingly my preference, and here the Turkish adds depth and intensity from charring light to last puff. I think zulujerk's review below captures the essence of this tobacco blend well. (I often concur with his take on Balkans.)

You can't ignore the two hundred years of history behind this legendary blender -- or BriarPatch's saga to replace his beloved SMM with this suitable alternative. I have found only one Gawith blend that I didn't like, and it was an impulse buy (Celtic Talisman). I highly recommend Skiff, and all the other Gawith mixtures, but also ardently hope that you don't read these reviews or buy any, so I can procure a sustainable supply for myself going forward.

If you prefer a bit more Latakia in your bowl, then look to its stablemate, Squadron Leader, which to me is the archetypal Balkan.

Classic English mixture that won't surprise nor dissapoint any serious smoker. If you enjoy this kind of tobaccos, Skiff Mixture is bound to please you every time, but unlikely to get you into zone.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

The adjective `full' does, I think, double duty in the discourse on pipe tobaccos. The gradations of Dunhill's Standard Mixture as mild, medium and full denote the increasing proportions of latakia in the blends. But full, in Full Virginia Flake, denotes the richness of the taste. I begin with this somewhat pedantic distinction because while Skiff does not contain as much Latakia as Squadron Leader, it is nevertheless richer in taste.

I don't know why I took so long to try Skiff. Perhaps somewhere at the back of my mind there was an equation between a small ship and a small flavour. Well, I was happily wrong. Skiff is not heavy in Latakia but is rich, or full if you prefer, in the same way as Margate is rich, or Durbar is (was?) rich, or Royalty is rich.

With increasing age I find that my appetite for extreme sensations and tastes is diminishing. For a contemplative drink I turn to a delicate Highland single malt rather than to an Islay malt. Skiff satisfies in the same way. Highly recommended.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Full disclosure: My first tin, and only tin thus far, was said to be "at least" five years old. When opened, the vacuum seal was tight, but it looked much older than five years. The inside of the lid was rusty and ringed with mold. The tobacco was protected by an oily wax paper, and it was just a hair on the dry side of perfect.

All I really need to say: I have never finished a tin so quickly. Except for a couple of bedtime bowls of Penzance, Skiff was truly an all-day smoke and constant companion.

From the first puff, it was a pipe smoker's nirvana, an epiphany of taste and aroma. Nothing mild about it.

Pipepundit expresses my views perfectly. I should perhaps have written simply: See Pipepundit's review.

Update, 24 October 2011: Now having moved on to the fresh 'green' stuff, I can report that Skiff is just as great in a shiny new tin. Yes, the aged stuff has a more mellow smoothness. I'll put away some tins to come back to in five or ten years. But it's just great now: a classic all-day English.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

What can I say... Just good, old style English Latakia blend. If you like Dunhill London Mixture, Early Morning Pipe, Standard Mixture - you'll also like this one. It can be an all-time tobacco.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (85)

I found Skiff to be nothing short of excellent. I bought the tin in March of 2009 and cellared it until August of 2011. This is what I'd call a light latakia blend. The latikia is wonderfully balanced with the orientals providing a smooth, tasty smoke throughout. Excellent.

This is the kind of blend that makes me wonder why I keep smoking some of the other English blends out there. I started pipe smoking in 2008 and have been on a mission to sample blends from all over. Skiff is definitely on my list of "just have to smoke it again!"

I should also note that when I purchased Skiff in 2009 it was going for $6 a tin. This was obviously before word got out about the quality of SG blends.

Opening the tin, only a few weeks after first having made the acquaintance of J.F. Germain's Special Latakia Flake, I felt like I must have missed something in over 20 years of pipe smoking. Because the tin aroma of SG's Skiff Mixture reminds me quite a bit of that J.F.Germain's blend, which until then had thought to be practically unique. Guess I'll have to add another category to describe this sort of blend with some Latakia, some VA and lots of Turkish.

The tobacco comes in long ribbons, stuffs easily and lights easily. The taste has little sweetness, some nuttiness and smokiness and spice; I happen to like it that way. The room note is quite good, a nice, spicy fragrance.

What more to say? Nothing really. This blend burns down to nothing but ashes, is easy enough to maintain, but it doesn't quite make me jump up and down with glee, so 3 1/4 stars.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Appearance is a mix of light and medium brown ribbons. Tin smells of light smoke, spices, and iodine. Oriental taste, but little else.

I like chips. Certainly they're bland. We add salt, or vinegar, or tomato sauce/ketchup, giving the dish some flavour.

Skiff is trying to make the meal of the sauce. While it is made of decent, but not excellent, orientals, it's all condiment and little meal. Two stars as one may use it as a blending ingredient.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

If the rate at which you get through a tin is an indicator of how much you like a baccy then this one gets four stars from me. Spicy, smoky and fruity, and cool smoking into the bargain.

Dr. Grabowski Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Grabowski (4)

The only other English blend I have tried was Presbyterian Blend and I hated it. The main reason was how hot it burned, plus I thought it smelled putrid. I bought some Skiff on a whim and love it. It may be the coolest burning blend I've tried, and the taste is wonderful. If you're mainly an aromatic guy like me I would urge you to try this one.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)

Smooth, silky, slightly sweet, this has become one of my favorite oriental blends! It doesn't hurt that it's easy to smoke too.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)

Back in pre internet days when my range of tobaccos consisted of Condor, Walnut Flake, St Julien and St Bruno, my local tobacconist introduced me to Mr Samuel Gawith, not literally ofcourse, but his beautiful unequalled range of tobaccos and I have never looked back. So much has already been said about this blend that I feel I have very little to add, suffice to say that anyone who is looking for a mild to medium English oriental with lots of flavour, a healthy level of latakia and a quality not to be beaten need look no further than Skiff Mixture. No matter how many blends from any number of blending houses one may explore, the quality and uniqueness of Sam Gawith tobaccos will always remain at a ridiculously high level. Tongue bite? Whats that then? It just doesnt happen no matter what blend you try from the SG house and Skiff is one of the very top blends from their range. Four stars only because I can't give more.

soul2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
soul2 (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

my taste buds were calling for something other than an aromatic. so i took the plunge and bought a tin of skiff mixture, i have to say, looking for something a spicy, strong i could not have done better (as far as my knowledge is concerned. It reminded me of winter rambles in Epping Forest, earthy, leafy smells and tastes, guy forks night. if you have wanted to be able to turn the subtle smell of a wood fire into a tobacco, and smoke it, this is it. loved it. Smoke it gently, after a few bowls was not concerned about bite, nicotine was a bit week bey hey, don't smoke pipe for a nicotine hit. enjoy.

conicallybored Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
conicallybored (13)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture is an excellent mild aromatic similar in many respects to Grousemoor, but with a different taste. My tin from Mr. Snuff was apparently aged: caved in, paper well-stained, tobacco shrunken and at perfect moisture level. A solid blend, one which seems like it will make a good summertime smoke.

Update: I'm not sure what made me characterize Skiff Mixture as an aromatic my first time out. I think I smoked it very gently and mostly experienced Samuel Gawith's signature underlying aromas. I smoked Skiff Mixture in a bigger bowl pipe, Savinelli 320ex, using tugboat puffs, and the taste changed significantly. I'm not sure how to characterize it--a light English with prominent Oriental overtones? It tasted stronger, with a good spiciness on nasal exhales.

With FVF and Squadron Leader in the Gawith line up, I think that this little sleeper often gets overlooked. A solid English blend with quality Orientals taking the lead. Skiff packs well, burns clean, and at a lower price point than most tinned English blends it worth keeping some around the cellar. Recommended.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Skiff is the blend having the great merit to have moved me closed with the English mixtures again.

It's the medium English made the old way, probably the closest to Standard Medium of old. The Orientals are way the best I remember in contemporary blends. The interplay between Virginias and Orientals is gorgeous, Latakia is added in perfect measure.

Stuffs and burns easy, leaving fluffy ashes and very small dottle or none. The coolest burning tobacco I've ever tasted.

More on the medium side of strength than mild. It offers a super balanced flavour, very much satisfying, and leaves the palate sweet and clean. Skiff is very soft and unbiting, a perfect all-day smoke for the smoker committed to the VOL blends.

Four full stars, I would rate it five if possible.

Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Just purchased this in bulk. It was too damp to smoke, so I allowed about 20 minutes to dry, I think it needs to be dryer to burn correctly. I found the Orientals were cut like "fish food" while the Latakia was left in thick rubbed flakes. This created a problem in lighting the damper Latakia and keeping this tobacco burning evenly among the components ( Margate also has a problem with uneven cut, but much worse). Besides this problem, the tobacco was superb. I enjoy a tobacco where the Orientals are out front with the Latakia in support. I would put this between Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe and Esoterica's Margate. Absolutely no bite ( there is some spice ), unlike Margate that has a little nip if you smoke it fast. The tobacco has that sweet lemon taste of EMP in the background, while a nice hint of smoke from the latakia.Ok, I'm thinking smoked bacon topped with parmagiano reggiano flavor for the Turkish.I could smoke this all day long if I could get the burn rate correct. One good point was when smoked outside in a slight breeze, the tobacco performed perfectly. I will be buying more ,if the " Sammy G. Smoke God" will be so kind to produce more!

Update: I smoked this out on the golf coarse. It performed great, I did relite about 4 times but that was more due to inattention. I overheard the guys in the other cart say, " doesn't that pipe smell great". Wow, a shocker, but they were old farts over 60 like me.

Update 10/3/12 I still really like this blend , but it is spicy, I couldn't smoke this all day. I have a few other 4 star blends that I like better, so this is a 3-1/2 star for me. I think I would like to try this back to back against Rattrays Red Rap., I think they maybe close. This is not as smooth as EMP.

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (15)

Was going to wait until the end of my first tin of this blend before reviewing, but am so confident it is in my rotation for keeps I simply couldn't wait.

After maybe a dozen bowls, am getting the hang of drying, packing and puffing it, and finding it to be drop-dead gorgeous.

Would agree with other reviewers that this needs drying well out of the tin. I find it best lightly packed in my small briar, maybe tamped a bit during the smoke. Cool, easy to keep lit, well tasty right to the end. Good to enjoy at any time of the day. Even the aftertaste is pleasant.

My experience of English blends is limited. Also, am still learning about flavours and how to spot particular tobaccos, but whatever SG uses to make this blend, it does it for me. Some reviewers use the word "creamy" to describe Skiff's smoke, and am finding this is oddly appropriate, in spite of the Oriental spiciness. Delicious!

Four stars.

Update: Although my review stands, I have to agree with other SG reviewers who complain about the tins. Why can't they be airtight? Come on, Sam, it's about time.

Tairusu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tairusu (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

It's not SL, but what is? I ordered Skiff when I waited too long to order my baccy and there was no squadron leader left. However, after finishing the tin almost too quickly, I was highly satisfied with this mix which is milder than SL, but makes up for it with a slightly spicy, slightly smokey flavor. I was entirely satisfied with this blend and will order it again, even if my beloved SL is in stock.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (139)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Another good solid blend from Samuel Gawith. It is just a shame that they produce such limited quantities of their blends. Everything comes together nicely in this blend, the tin presentation is as always very good. The aroma out of the tine is very good. The room note seems at least pleasing, since I have had no complaints about it. It lights and burns great and it produces a good amount of smoke. It provides a decent amount of Vitamin N. I would definitely recommend this whenever it is available.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (86)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Cool, mild and tasty.

Nice and enjoyable even in these hot days.

Howlin' Wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Howlin' Wolf (10)

I detect no flavoring in this tobacco, albeit it has the cardamom/cumin flavor profile characteristic of Oriental tobaccos.

It is reminiscent of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe but ...bigger. Bigger flavor, richer, thicker smoke, etc. Not a nic bomb, not a lat bomb. Comparing a tobacco to EMP is about the highest praise I can bestow on it. I am a big time EMP fan, and Skiff has been keeping me from dipping into my treasure trove of EMP for months now.

Anyone who enjoys the flavor of Oriental tobacco will very likely enjoy Skiff.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

My palate say it's very similar to SL but milder in strenght and fuller in taste.

A good english-balkan but too mild for my craving of nicotine .

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Beautiful smoke.

Mild but very flavorful. Smoky, sweet, and cool. 'Cool as a Sea Breeze,' reads the tin, and I won't pretend I can improve on that description. Smells peaty; tastes of figs and dark fruit. Cool and easy.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Love it! Reading the reviews I expected to like Squadron Leader more, but for me this is the better of the siblings.

Pity it comes so wet in the tin, but when on the road and transferred to my leather pouch, it quickly has the right moisture, so ok then... 'Every disadvantage has its advantage' as Johan Cruyff puts it.

Allthough the oblong SG tins are much less airtight then my favourite Dunhill round tins, these are actually much easier to transport in my document case or coatpocket... Johan's right again.

Absolute classic must-try!

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

The King is dead, long live the King.

I so tire of hearing of the great blends of the past, especially from smokers whose reviews show they are so old or hardened they could not possibly remember where their car keys are, no less what a tobacco tasted like 10, 15 or twenty years ago.

I love being a beginner, because I still have the taste buds to enjoy a mild smoke. In fact, I hope I never have to "move up", "graduate", become "more sophisticated", etc. bla, bla, bla. I just want to be able to enjoy a tobacco like Skiff forever.

Read BriarPatch since he exemplifies how I feel about Skiff and life in general. And thanks Pipestud, your review and 2 stars let me know this was just what I wanted.

Skiff is a good virginia based mild english. The tin note is delightfully smokey, the taste is sweet and floral (some might say soapy) with a citrus note. The taste is full but shallow, the various mild flavors mixing well but none predominating. The latakia smokiness is evident, without a great deal of spiciness or pepper zing. The turkish seems to blur the taste while making it smoother. Overall a pleasant sweet virginia flavor, with none of the dullness evident in the burly based latakia blends. Dry it out before using.

It will not bite, the smoke is light bodied and mild in strength, with no harshness or rough edges. Aftertaste is tobacco , agreeable if a bit astringent. For me a once a month smoke. More often I smoke SL. If you get canker sores or your lips swell and tingle, don't smoke so often. Try it, it may not be what you are ultimately looking for, but it is not something you will likely throw away.

PS: Use a big rubber band to keep the tin airtight. Also, I know this is heresy but it is great mixed 50/50 with Squadron Leader. Smoke it fast, it dries out quickly and will bite mildly.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)

I'm fairly new to the whole Latakia experience, though I've tried a few blends now and getting some idea of the latitude open to it in its deployment, ahem. I've yet to be disappointed with Samual Gawith. I just think they make a superior product and I think that they are often tarred with the same analysis that befalls the Gawith and Hoggarth tobaccos. Still yet to find any soapy flavours in them (though I haven't tried Grousemoor for instance), whereas the G&H stuff can be a full on soap experience. I suspect that the origins of the two houses might have been accompanied by artistic differences that have resulted in quite different strains. Whatever.

Skiff smells old, full, natural. It smokes well. It's dead good.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (37)

My standard of an English/Balkan that fulfills without defiling the senses. Like Squadron Leader, Skiff requires dehumidification and some airing before all the flavor potential unpacks. Turkish and Latakia are prominent, flue cured supporting. Squadron Leader remains my most favored blend with Latakia, as the flue cured leaf is exquisite and just seasoned with Oriental leaf, inverse to Skiff. Skiff is for special moments when a masterful use of forward condiment reaches for me.

Mr.Dark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Dark (9)

I followed BriarPatch's quest a while back and finally got around to trying his final selection. I must say, I too am blown away. As many reviewers have noted, this is a near perfect english blend and has now become one of two favorites. The balance is impeccable and and a delight to the senses.

Thanks BriarPatch.

beren911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beren911 (5)
Medium Strong Full Strong

2009-11-02 The skiff mixture is an excellent tobacco. Beware tough, that tobacco need to have a pipe dedicated to Latakia or you will risk to contaminate the flavor. Just by opening the tin, you can smell the smokey odor, and the thing definitly taste the way it smells. And damn the taste is strong, I smoked aromatics that had a lot less ''aroma'' in it. I give it a 3 star only because of the room note that is not as pleasant as virginias. It is my first Latakia tobacco i tasted, and will definitly stay as one of my favourite.

2009-11-03 Just smoked another bowl with some friends who all tought that this tobacco was too strong and that the taste was off a little bit (I made them smoke virginia a couple of time before), so i tought they probably been caught off guard by the strenght of the Lakatia aroma. Seriously, this thing is getting better each time I fill a bowl with it.

2009-11-04 Just smoked my third bowl during my 1 hour break at the office. This thing is just getting better and better. The smokey flavour is just awesome. It's almost as if you were able to taste the spice that the arabs use when they cook. Strong flavour, the cake is getting bigger and taste better after each time. I look forward to the fifth bowl where the cake should have the best ''taste''.

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)

I was gifted a sample of Skiff when I first picked up the pipe. I smoked it and remember liking it somewhat, but I must rather sheepishly admit that I didn't give it the attention it deserved mainly because the tin used to proudly proclaim the blend "Mild." With the benefit of hindsight, I realize now that I incorrectly interpreted the world "mild" to mean "bland," and never bothered to try it again.

I have been gravitating toward blends that are lighter on the Latakia in the past year and was intrigued when I saw a tin of Skiff in my local B&M without the "Mild" stamp. I thought it to be a new blend; possibly a slightly more full version of Skiff Mild, and that seemed just about right for what I was looking for.

I was wrong in one regard. Skiff Mixture and Skiff Mixture Mild are in fact the same blend. This has since been directly confirmed by an email from Sam Gawith Company. But I was correct in thinking that this might just be the tobacco I was looking for. Boy howdy, is it ever! I've just finished my second tin in a month and I'm pretty seriously considering making this the only Latakia blend I smoke for the rest of my life. Every time I smoke another English or Balkan, I feel vaguely disappointed and find myself thinking, "Dang, I could have just had Skiff instead." In fact, if it wasn't for Dark Birdseye, Brown Bogie, Revor Plug and St. James flake, I think I could quite happily make this the only blend of any kind I smoke for the rest of my life. But that's neither here nor there, and doesn't say much about the blend to anyone who isn't me.

The components are pretty familiar: Latakia, Turkish, and Virginia. Nothing too surprising there. Not being a master blender, I couldn't even begin to guess the proportions, and other than to say that some of the tobaccos are flue cured, Samuel Gawith offers little in the way of clarification. In whatever amount, the Turkish seems to be the balance/center of the blend, and the latakia and virginia are in a proportion that allows each to be distinctly present in every puff, but never in the forefront. Another reviewer pointed out what makes Skiff really shine. Of the latakia blends I have tried that I would classify as "pretty good," the vast majority start out fairly tasty. Some have been great, and some have even been spectacular. But no matter how good they start, they almost always deteriorate as the bowl progresses; some becoming bitter, others, monotonous. But Skiff always gets better, more flavorful, and more interesting as the bowl progresses. All the way down to the bottom. Every time.

In terms of fullness, the closest thing that comes to mind is Bohemian Scandal. And, while I know that such a comparison is inviting folly, I do detect a small amount of flavor overlap between the two despite the differing ingredients. Don't be confused though. I'm not to saying that if you are looking for a replacement for Bohemian Scandal that Skiff is it (although, who knows, maybe it might be for you), but rather that in some ways they have similar qualities. Bohemian Scandal does have that je ne sais quoi, but that doesn't make Skiff any less charming. And if Bohemian Scandal is Greg Pease's personal arcadia, then Skiff Mixture is probably mine. Four stars.

stanwell30 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stanwell30 (3)

It is currently August down here in southern New Mexico, and while not as hot as some places, such as our neighbors in Arizona, the high temperature each day, over the last 6 weeks, has been 95 or higher on all but 4 of those days. (They were 92+.) With 18 of those days over 100. It has been a long, hot summer. In weather like this, the big tobaccos are too much, even as later-evening, contemplative bowls, when it's 85 degrees outside at 11 pm.

And this hasn't been that atypical a summer.

Given that, one thing I always want to have around, is a lighter, milder, flavorful, and not overly strong blend. In the past, Dunhill Early Morning was best for this; Standard Mild was OK too, but a bit stronger. Nowadays, since I can't get either of those, it's Skiff. The flavor is nicely dry, with a hint of mild, nutty flavor. It's not big and spicy, it's not full, rich, and smoky; this isn't an Armani suit or a Hugo Boss leather jacket, it's that favorite pair of jeans that slip right on like a second skin. It burns smoothly with very little tendency to bite, which makes it a great alternater with, say, Christmas Cheer during that season when the weather can justify something a tad stronger, and smokes very cleanly. I think it's probably best in a small-er billiard or dublin, where there's more focus than in a pot, or even a large billiard with a wider bowl.

Boswell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boswell (7)

Skiff Mixture is a delicious English blend. It has a lower proportion of Latakia than Squadron Leader, which to me makes for a more interesting interplay between the Virgina and Oriental flavours. I prefer it to Squadron Leader (although to be honest I haven't had any SL for a while -- might be time to try another tin...!)

It smokes cool and is very smooth and flavoursome, with a delicious (to me) side-stream smoke. I'm lucky in that my other half particularly likes the smell of Oriental tobaccos, including Latakia. But I think the room-note of this is probably a little easier than that of SL for non-smokers to tolerate. In fact a couple of times when I've been smoking this in pub beer gardens recently, people have asked what I was smoking, commenting on how nice it smells!

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a high quality tobacco from one of the old companies that continues to deliver a superior product. If you would like a tobacco that has taste but won't overwhelm you with any one component then this could be for you. If you prefer Oriental's even occasionally this will become a favorite. The new tin does not say mild on it but is the same tobacco that it has always been. If you like Skiff try Squadron Leader equally as good but quite different, they compliment each other in the rotation very nicely IMO.

RxMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RxMan (17)

Just when I thought I'd found my "favorites" for a steady but smaller rotation, I have to go and try Skiff (and later Squadron Leader). I have smoked other blends from SG, and liked them (The Kendal Series, Grousemoor-not too much, CF, Dixie Pride, etc.) and have reordered on several occasions over 40 years of smoking pipes, but was determined to limit my blends to ten or so, and to regularly stock up on them. NOW, Skiff enters the competition, and HOW! What a wonderful blend, mild yet flavorful, distinctive yet not dominate, in each tobacco's contribution to this incomparable blend, by master crafters of 200 years duration. If Squadron Leader turns out to be any way near as delicious as Skiff, I'll probably have to expand my rotation. Highly recommended to any pipe smoker for a non-paralleled smoking experience.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Quite simply, Skiff is absolutely delicious. I like it better than Squadron Leader and perhaps better than 965. It is easily among my top three English/Oriental blends.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

Skiff has a beautifully delicate tin aroma when first opened; after a few hours of breathing, the bouquet of this blend becomes even more subtle. My smoking experience duplicates the above. Skiff is an extemely mild English, with hints of Oriental overtones (should I write 'undertones'?). This is not a mixture to be be puffed impatiently while reflecting about one's various miseries, as such treatment is liable to scare the timid flavour of this blend to far off and away. A gentle draw with an unsullied pipe pipe brings the best out of Skiff, and it responds well with some time and attention to devote. On the whole, I prefer Squadron Leader, but Skiff is certainly worth a look, especially if one enjoys the company of tobaccos that are less aggressive and more demure.

BrantlyMedders Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrantlyMedders (7)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Having fallen in love with Squadron Leader and thinking that English mixtures could not get any better, I suppose I purchased a tin of Skiff mixture on a whim. Since I enjoyed FVF and SL, certainly Skiff Mixture must be worth a try?

Needless to say I am very glad I did. Although I still prefer the extra strength of SL, Skiff strikes me as a softer, perhaps more reserved blend. The Virginias seem to take the dominate position, while the Latakia provides body and flavor and the Turkish seems nigh undetectable. What makes this tobacco truly worth smoking, however, is how consistent and pleasant it is throughout the entire bowl. Even the last few puffs are quite enjoyable.

While I do not smoke it every day, I have dedicated a pipe to Skiff mixture (and find myself reaching for that pipe several times throughout the week). It is certainly worth a try for any fan of English mixtures.

Nachman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nachman (13)

Skiff Mixture is a straight English blend of medium strength, which is the kind of tobacco I smoke the most. I like this tobacco and smoke it when I have to smoke indoors because of inclement weather. The room note is more tolerable than those which have more Turkish and Orientals, but that is what is missing IMO to make this a four star tobacco. Sam Gawith also makes Squadron leader which is a similar blend but has that little extra punch and flavour which make it better.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Mild None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

After i cracked the tin and took a whiff my first thought was how long has it been dead. The upfront nastiness is unreal- taste like burning dirt,sticks and random plant stems. The actual tobacco taste is like smoking a light natural wrapper of a cigar. Burns good,so does gas,this gives me a gravely feeling in the back of my thought I didn't notice any tongue bite surprisingly. Trail your neighbors dog for an afternoon if you want smoke like this.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

SG makes fine tobaccos. While I'd prefer SL as an lighter English from them, Skiff has a refreshing quality that is a nice change of pace.

strawalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
strawalker (14)

If you can get through the first half of the bowl with enough patience and your tongue intacked, then your blessed with a good quality Oriental smoke with hardly a hint of mild Latakia. It is (IMHO) nothing too special. No dry time required, ribbon cut packs easily and burns well.

Tabakabouter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tabakabouter (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the Latakia blend I like most. Interesting mix of aromatic notes. Hardly noticeable soapy taste. The L. is not overwhelming and accentuates the blend with the different other tobaccos nice in balance .

rocket_man77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rocket_man77 (10)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

{UPDATE} as with all Samuel Gawith I have tried you need to dry it out of the tin. I opened mine into a jar and left the lid open for 24 hours. This was where I made my initial report from. However I keep a few bowles worth in the tin to carry with me and decided to leave the lid off another hour prior to packing the pipe. Much happier mouth feel in this round. More pronounced Oriental flavor like Squadron Leader but not enough to make me change my initial impression apart from saying try it out and remember to dry out your Samuel Gawith till you think it's good and then perhaps a touch more! Original Skiff was related to me, and here in these posts as a kin to Squadron Leader and I bought a tin to see if perhaps it was an older brother. I?m coming to the conclusion that it is a first cousin but not a sibling. Skiff is a nice alternative to Squadron Leader but I?m finding it less exciting a smoke. I?ve also found it to be a darker rich smoke and as an oriental containing a similar complement of flavors but with the bass turned up so much I?m missing the treble side of the music. In the future I might return to Skiff as a break up the routing alternative without giving up on a Lakeland flavor that I enjoy but I expect I?ll remain loyal to Squadron Leader?s more exciting palate.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This full-bodied blend is excellent for regular rotation.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Skiff Mixture may be my favorite English/Oriental blend. I like ti much more than Squadron Leader and find it a shame the Squadron gets so much more praise. It seems to be that Skiff is largely overlooked and overshadowed by Squadron leader but having smoked quite a bit of both I find Skiff much more complex and interesting. This is not meant to bash SL because it is also a very good smoke.

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)

I must say that I do like this blend. I've been searching for a rotation tobacco to fill in for my go-to lighter Balkan/English blend which is currently Smoker's Haven Exotique Mixture. Whether Skiff is English or Balkan in nature (I don't know the percentage of Orientals to Latakia in Skiff), it doesn't matter since it appears to me to be a milder smoke. It meets all the qualifications of a good tobacco. Packs well, few or no stems, few lights and re-lights, burns fairly cool, not too wet in the tin and no unnatural flavoring. All the aromas intertwine very well without one stepping over the other. Its sweeter side is a bit unusual but pleasing at the same time and there's still the pungent aroma of the latakia. I can even pick up the hints of soap as others have mentioned in the Lake District blends which does not bother me in the least. Samuel Gawith tobaccos are top quality blends and are reasonably priced (they're even sold more reasonably priced in bulk). My rating is based on a tin blend though. This is a very good tobacco but whether this becomes a fill-in for my lighter Balkan/English blend category is yet to be determined.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I really don?t have much to add, this is a fine, mild, light on latakia English blend. I?m partial to the Lakeland blends, and, like many fellow reviewers on this page I agree that it compares favorably to the milder Dunhill blends. What I would like to add that doesn?t seem to be mentioned here, is how well priced it is in bulk. I haven?t seen this offered in tins, but up at my local tobacconist, it was 4.50 for two ounces, given the outrageous tobacco tax in Oregon, that?s pretty dang inexpensive. There really isn?t anything in that price range that competes with the quality of this blend. Three stars for being a solid if mild English blend, one more star for appealing to my sense of frugality.

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)

I'm very fond of this tobacco and smoke it regularly. A good all-day blend for me in bowls large and small, satisfying and refreshing.

Whilst I don't have much to add to the praise it has already been given, I do agree with other reviewers about the slight hint of menthol in the overall flavour.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

If you are lamenting the loss of EMP, fear not, for Skiff is at hand to save the day, perhaps a little more stronger than EMP, but what I would consider the same basic components, Skiff is a nice easy start to the day for Latakia fans who don't want to be slapped over the head with a Cricket Bat in order to start the day.

A fine compilation of quality tobaccos, give a fine easy going smooth smoke, easy to light straight from the tin, no drying time required and low maintenance. At the end of the bowl, just ash no dottle = no wasted tobacco.

I enjoy Latakia in the colder weather and Skiff along with Squadron Leader for the daytime, and perhaps Perfection for the evening could well see EMP 965 and Nightcap fans satisfied, at least to some degree.

For myself, Skiff will help to start the day nicely with Squadron Leader, on the beach, dog at the side and bitter Nor Westerlies blowing. Love it.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been casting about for a replacement for my beloved Dunhill's London Mixture, and I believe that I have found it in Skiff.

Squadron Leader has its adherents, with good reason, but I prefer Skiff's rounder, darker notes to Squadron Leader's tangy sharpness.

If you enjoy Dunhill's London Mixture or Germain's King Charles Mixture, you'll be right at home.

Highly recommended to the oriental lover.

toolman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toolman (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have recently returned to the world of pipe smoking after a 20 year hiatus, and have been looking for a mild, any time of day, smoke. This is it. The flue cured Virginia tobaccos present a mild base for this very pleasant blend, and there are just enough Latakia and Oriental tobaccos to give it character. Skiff Mixture came a bit moist in the tin, but dried easily and quickly to give an effortless light. I do appreciate the lack of artificial flavorings, and the ribbon cut allows for easy packing in the bowl. If you are in search of a mild to medium English blend that can be enjoyed any time of day, this is an excellent choice.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a good oriental blend, mild and flavorful. Nothing really exceptional, I find it a little shy, it doesn?t have the power and the presence of squadron Leader.

I like and I may buy another tin in the future, but I prefer much better squadron Leader.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)

This is an english blend that works very well for me. I can't say it is as full or heavy as the desription suggests but seems to me to be a medium blend on the lighter side. It is well balanced with the turkish-oriental component leading, rounded out by the virginias and a backdrop of latakia... very harmonious. Similar to Germain's King Charles and Duhill's Standard Mixture blends without the earthy tones that both exhibit which I do not paticularly like. In fact, in the spectrum of english blends it is best described situated between Dunhill's Standard Mixture Mild and Medium blends. On the other hand, what I didn't like is it came a little too moist with a slightly alcoholic bouquet from the tin so it had to be dried out. I wish Samuel Gawith would lighten up on this sort of thing; Their blends that I have buying by the tin recently all seem to similarly suffer this sort of treatment. Oh well, it's worth the slight incovenience since this tobacco hits a paticular niche with me. This is a great lighter middle of the road honest english blend and all those that have a fondness for turkish-oriental tobaccos should try this.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)

Somewhere near to Peterson's Old Dublin, Samuel Gawith's Skiff is a mild to medium VA+Turkish+Latakia mixture with a slight touch of Latakia and predominant VA and Oriental character. Like many reviewers have commented, the leaf is really high-quality (which is in my opinion not so with the mentioned offering by Peterson, i.e. currently by Kohlhase&Kopp). However, top quality does not always equal an interesting smoke, and this is the case with Skiff.

It's a good weed to start your way into the English group of tobaccos (better than Old Dublin anyway). For a more experienced palate this is rather one of the many mild English type mixtures, and not something outstanding. Might be good as an all-day smoke if you're an all-day smoker, though I'd prefer Squadron Leader in this case. And as I am making my pipe sessions fewer to appreciate an inspiring smoke, Skiff is slowly drifting away from me, leaving me with SG Balkan Flake - which is a better company.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

You can smoke Skiff for the rest of your life and you will be a very happy pipe-smoker. High quality virginia in the center, good orientals and a pinch of latakia in the background. Round, tasty, medium strenght and medium to full body. A high class tobacco. Highly reccomended !

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Top quality leaf, expertly blended and packaged. I've renamed it "Skip" in my rotation, but give it three stars for those that like a high quality mild English blend. It is most definitely that. My personal preferences are for something a bit stronger in nicotine and flavor. I find myself playing tug o' war with my pipe trying to get more flavor/nicotine and consider this a sign of disrespect for the blend and blender. It is what it is and what it is supposed to be: Mild. Who am I to attempt to make it something else?

Very good tobacco.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)

This is the first tin of a Lakeland tour for me. I wasn't expecting to like this as much as the others in the lineup, and perhaps I won't. But I was surprised at how much I did like it.

It comes much drier than the virginia flakes by this company, and therefore there is much more volume of tobacco resulting in a significant increase in number of smokes, despite the fact that I had to throw out a few medium-sized pipes worth of tobacco at the end because it was just dust. This is not a criticism of the flakes, just an observation. Thirty minutes to an hour is enough drying time. The cut is chunky, which means it is a bit difficult to get going, but once it is lit it burns cool and steady, even outside in the wind, with minimal relights.

The flavor and aroma is of a slightly aromatic english mixture. I don't know if I can verify the menthol claims of other reviewers, but there was definitely a little something extra in there, reminiscent of vanilla (whatever it actually was). There is definitely plenty of natural tobacco flavor as well, mind you. Sometimes this gets in a zone late in the smoke where I'm reminded of the flavor and aroma of a nice maduro cigar. Those were my favorite times smoking this, but they were relatively rare. Usually you just get a smoky, perfumey, slightly sweet smoke that is unremarkable but pleasant. I don't know if I will buy this again, mostly because with so many great blends a moderately pleasant one is not something I look for. But there's really nothing bad to say about this, and if you like other Lakeland latakia mixtures you will probably like this one.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a bad smoke but it's very mild. I wonder if some perique would help, well it needs something else to move it up a few stars. Anyway try this if you want a mild smoke.

UPDATE 11/2/07 - I'm changing my assessment on this one. The rest of the tin was stronger for some reason and I found this one really growing on me. It's definitely a nice one that I could easily buy again.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)

I was quite pleased with Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture. While I certainly prefer the higher Latakia content of Squadron Leader to this mixture, this provides a well balanced smoke that is not overwhelmed by either Latakia, Virginia or Orientals.

The Latakia seems to fade somewhat after the halfway point, but the flipside to this is that this brings out the orientals even more.

To me, this is what a great morning smoke should be-simple, warm and understated and not apt to ruin your tastebuds for further pleasures in the day.

Good job Sam!

I am upgrading this to 4 stars. After smoking it when in many different moods, I realize that while different in its Virginia, Latakia, Oriental mixture, this is nonetheless a star at what it is meant to be!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I cannot really concur with SG's description of Skiff Mixture Mild on their website: "Another Samuel Gawith original, Skiff is for the pipe smoker who appreciates the fuller flavour of an oriental blend. Blending a variety of different styles of flue-cured tobaccos gives Skiff its characteristic yellow and brown features. Its real identity comes with the addition of Turkish and a beautiful black Cyprus Latakia giving the blend its full, round taste." The copy on the tin is just right:

"Cool as a Sea Breeze For the Outdoor Man."

Naturally sweet Virginia leaf (as in MVF), a modicum of Latakia and deeply seasoned with Turkish tobaccos of the lighter variety, flavor profiles Skiff for me.

The Turkish leaf visually appears and tastes steamed, different from the toasting process Dunhill prescribed for EMP. Skiff is lighter in flavor and body than EMP and Campanile, and much easier on the system early in the day. Less overtly Turkish in character than Orcilla, though minus the Latakia in Skiff, Orcilla would be close cousin.

My palate and pipe bowl are quite clean and refreshed after smoking Skiff. A white, dry ash tells me Skiff is prepared from properly processed and well-aged leaf, without added sweeteners or topping.

Here's a light English without suffering sauced, sugared blends loaded with Cavendish from northern EU blenders.

Good light English mixture, balanced towards the oriental leaf. Upon opening the tin I thought it was slightly cased, but I couldn't detect any flavour but tobacco during the smoke. This could be both an introduction to the EM world for a beginner or a fine all day smoke for the experienced smoker. The blend, as usual for Samuel Gawith, is damp in the tin but if you have the patience to leave it on air for a while the smoke will proceed even and dry, absolutely biteless.

Alouette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alouette (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Skiff is the kind of blend that gives mediocrity a good name. I loved my first tin, at least after getting over the oddity of the mentholated topping that comes through upon lighting. Whatever the topping really is, it withdraws almost immediately and the orientals play against a light background of latakia. Now, after four tins over the last year, I can?t remember why I loved that first tin. Skiff is a slightly bland, everyday tobacco that is easy to smoke. It does have the charm of a casual acquaintance, but it left me longing for a true companion.

The_Phantom_Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Phantom_Piper (11)

I have been a long time lover of Samuel Gawith blends, and Skiff Mixture is yet another that I will be keeping in my rotation.

Skiff is quite easy to pack & stays lit, but I do agree with letting the tin sit open for a good few hours as this is packed very moist within the tin. Once at the proper moisture level, you will enjoy a delightful smoke from this English blend.

My first bowl of this was smoked in a Jobey Stromboli Bent Bulldog, which I have dedicated to only English blends. Upon getting the full light after charring the tobacco, I was very pleased to find the Turkish & Latakia coming through in a wonderful marriage of taste. I myself found that the Latakia flavor lasted until the last 3rd of the bowl, which was a surprise since I have found other blends in this same style did not include a sufficient portion of Latakia for my tastes.

Skiff Mixture burned slowly with no bite or roughness, and a pleasant room note according to my wife to be. From the tin, Skiff has a nice aroma of what I can only describe as "Springtime at my favorite fishing spot", and yet has no detectable casing or flavoring.

If you are looking for a nice everyday blend that will make smokers & non-smokers alike pleased, try Skiff Mixture Mild, you won't be disappointed.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (63)

Previous reviews of this blend are all over the board, more a comment on our tastes/preferences than the blend itself, IMHO.

As a devotee of Gawith's Squadron Leader and Commonwealth blends (both having a significant Latakia presence), my initial thought was that Skiff Mixture would be a "weak sister" in taste and strength. I was pleasantly surprised with Skiff Mixture's balance. The VA/Turkish/Orientals predominate, but the Latakia makes its appearance early on in the smoke, complimenting the taste quite nicely without taking over. There is a pleasant after-taste that I can't identify, but it adds to the smoking experience. This is a fine, enjoyable English blend suitable for all-day smoking.

If your sample is too moist out of the tin, simply leave the tin open for an hour or two: the moisture level tones down quite nicely.

Merple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merple (15)

Shopping in San Francisco I came across one of the last traditional tobacconists in the city. Englishman owns the shop and has some good English blends in stock. I had previously mail ordered Squadron Leader and Perfection - I was not too impressed with SL - bitey and damp in the tin. Skiff Mixture Mild makes for a pleasant bowl, again a little damp in the tin and needs some air. Packs and smokes well - very easy burn. Orientals are pleasant and dominant with a nice latakia kicking in the background. Mild, peaceful smoke that I much enjoyed whilst wandering San Francisco on a sunny day in June.

LearnedHandsome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LearnedHandsome (10)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Skiff mixture is one of my most frequent smokes. The flavor is excellent and works in almost every situation.

Skiff usually comes with higher moisture content than I like. It is densely packed and just an hour or so out of the tin brings the moisture down. The tobaccos are bright and beautiful and the tin is stylish. The aroma is only slightly smoky, hinting at the low portion of latakia. I think it is less than 10% but I am not certain. It definitely seems lower than EMP.

Skiff tastes similar to Dunhill EMP but it is less smoky. The Virginias are brighter than EMP and nearly any English I have smoked. The burn is excellent and the flavor stays mild the whole way down the bowl.

Skiff is one of, if not my favorite English blend generally speaking. There are tobaccos I prefer in specific scenarios, but none are as versatile. On a cold night I would prefer nightcap or 965. On a hot day I might prefer a straight VA or maybe even an aromatic. Skiff works well in every situation and does not clash with most drinks I like.

Skiff is an all around blend that does not wear out the palate and can be smoked continuously without overdosing on nicotine.

rlaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rlaw (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This is one of those blends that is ok. Not great but ok, and certainly not bad. I liked it but found nothing to really get excited about.

This is a great early morning [pipe] smoke, not as light as Dunhill's EMP, it is both mellow and very flavorful. Medium ribbon cut with long, light and dark strands and also some Latakia mixed in, it packs and lights perfectly. My wife finds the room note tolerable though I find the aroma quite nice. I detect no added flavorings just fine grade tobacco; the nicotine kick is very light. I haven't a Skiff to test it out on (as the tin art suggests) but I enjoy this while on my morning hikes on Beach or Bluff and also in the Mountains. 10 out of 10 stars.

RochesterPipeWorks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RochesterPipeWorks (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I came to this after a tin of London Mixture,so would have to call this mild. Which is no bad thing on occasion. Certainly the other half has less objections to this than most others in my cellar. A good quality 'social' English blend that won't leave you in the dog-house, or out on the porch !

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (75)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This burned well and tasted of must and the typical Lake District Floral Soap Tobacco thing. Try others.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a very ordinary (IMO) Oriental/English type blend. It is at the right moisture content and stayed lit well from top to bottom. I tasted some sort of casing, but cannot begin to identify it.

If you are in search of nicotine, forget this one.

If you are in search of a full flavored English, forget this one.

If you are in search of something mild, semi-sweet with lots of Oriental flavor and just a hint of Latakia, this is it.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

The label on the tin says "mild", but that means mild in the English sense of the word.

The flavor is grand, light on latakia, hearty but not as heavy as some other English blends. The musty-herbal oriental taste is offset by a touch of tangy fruitiness from the Virginia, for a flavor that I have enjoyed over the warm weather months. The course ribbony cut packs and lights easily, but requires a couple of re-lights during its course. There was never any harshness or bite.

For me Skiff became a great blend for sitting on the porch on a summer evening with a glass of iced tea, but I expect it will go just as nicely in the cooler days of autumn as well.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Medium width ribbons, browns, yellows, and specks of darker leaf interspersed here and there. Smells like the orientals are in the forefront.

Packing and Lighting: Tin is packed tightly, but once you remove the blend for packing, is easy to pack. Moisture is perfect out of the tin and lit without a fuss.

Initial Flavor: I was correct, orientals are the main theme here. This blend reminds me of Pease's Cairo, but without the wicked weed of St. James' parish.

Mid-Bowl: Very fragrant, sort of a perfume, floral flavor from the orientals. Smooth, but not really keeping my interest.

Bottom of Bowl: A slight increase of strength. The latakia pops its head a little so that the finish is more "English" in flavor. Ash that is left is mottled and dry.

Overall: This is a high quality blend that really did not keep me interested. All the components mixed well together, but I prefer "King Charles" or "Exotique" over this in the "oriental" category. Thankfully there are other SG blends that I really enjoy.

purpleronald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
purpleronald (16)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I like the strong stuff ie. latakia english/balkan blends and periques... Skiff is 'okay' - not bad but not great. It has a faint hint of menthol sting that 1/3 of the bowl gives way to a very delicate 'dark charred' taste of a 'Chesterfield Cigarette'. It is a very dry and cool smoke. It burns well. It's a nice passive smoke. However, it doesn't distract me with pleasure the way some more potent and flavorful english/balkan blends do! It's a nice change of pace...but I prefer to be more distracted by flavor than to be left searching for it. Skiff is a fine change of pace and the quality is top notch. It does not billow clouds of steamy smoke like some other blends. In fact, the lack of 'smoke' is noticable. I like it, but it's just not my favorite.

4 Dot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
4 Dot (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Some time ago when I was unable to buy Sasieni, I had tried quite a few other blends. Skiff provided a pleasant change of pace. Upon opening the tin, as is my practice, I'll take a full whiff, hoping for a full rich tobacco note. In this regard, I am greeted with a pleasant somewhat under-whelming tobacco with a distinct perfume-like scent! Unmistakable and persistent; a scent, mind you, more akin to Chanel No. 5 (argh) than a fruity flavoring. This essence, which I believe to have a slight menthol-like quality to it, carries forward, very lightly, throughout the smoke. I don't find it so objectionable as one might; were it a heavy topping or flavoring. It is certainly not the gooey kids' stuff found in other blends. I am quite surprised, too, that, in reading the reviews of others (far more experienced than I): no one else had mentioned the "scenting" that I find in this tobacco.

(Testing for menthol: while smoking 1.Empty mouth of smoke 2.Draw a deep breath through pursed lips Then if you feel an unusual coolness it's? mentholated )

Still, I have tried several tins of this blend and will from time to time enjoy this smoke, as I am presently. It smokes very nicely, burning evenly and cleanly without adversely tainting my English/Balkan Bred Pipes. Toward the final third of the bowl the "cool scent" yields to a spicy element that leaves a tingle to the tongue, quite nice! I view this as an occasional "change of pace" smoke, good for any time of day?Mind you I'll have my aforementioned Old Standard at 7 AM.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Skiff, though too mild to be among my group of "favorites", is well deserving of the positive and accurate praises posted above. It's an easy-going English that doesn't demand much and would add to any pleasant day. The good quality of the tobaccos alone makes it worth a try and anyone liking lighter smokes that still produce respectable taste would find Skiff an admirable blend to associate with. Seems to me a good place to start for an aromatic fan wanting to stray into Latakia-land without being accosted by the Latakia Border Guard. Skiff, though willowy, is good stuff and can fill the the "light English" niche with quiet quality and style. Three stars from me is easy.

Tiger

This would actually rate four stars for someone seeking a beginner English or a lighter smoke. The flavor is quite pleasant a bit spicy and has a tolerable room note for an English type blend. Burns steady and smooth, only one pipe cleaner needed toward the end. The Latakia is tasty but subdued compared with Squadron Leader which is one of my favorites. Sometimes a lighter English is just what you want.

Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffer (9)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I first tried this blend expecting a "little brother" to Squadron Leader, one of my favorites. There is Latakia, Turkish, and Virginia, but the whole experience is different. This is not a "weaker" SL. The tin aroma is crisp and herbal, with a hint of citrus thrown in. When adequately aired out (all Samuel Gawith tobaccos are heavy on the moisture as they come from the tin) it takes the first match readily and burns smoothly all the way down without relighting. Smoke is cool and dry. The taste is sharp and zesty rather than smooth and nutty. The orientals come through most of all, with the Latakia in the background. The Virginia base is smooth and light, with a trace of astringency.

When smoked outdoors on a breezy day, the smoke expands in the most satisfying curls, leaving a light, refreshing aroma. I've never tried this on a skiff in the middle of a lake, but I believe it would be most satisfying. Highly recommended as a first introduction to Latakia or for the seasoned smoker looking for a lighter change of pace from traditional English blends.

A nice nice comfortable blend in the same vein as Dunhill's EMP and Pease's Samarra. Although I like the other two better, I find this blend to be fine indeed. The orientals in this blend are nice if not terribly complex. There is almost no bite and the flavor is nice and rich, especially with coffee in the morning. Normally I don't give middle of the road blends this high a score, especially when there are so many blends out there-period. This one is as confortable as an old friend however, and I have to give it the rating it deserves.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I came across this one in that seemingly endless search for a medium strength, flavoursome, yet tolerable Latakia-Turkish-Virignia smoke. Where I come from it is difficult to find Dunhills?, Rattrays? or G.L Pease?s creations (i.e., one can only get them via international mail order, and then fight for them at customs), so one has to do with whatever is available. Some of Gawith?s and Davidoff?s blends have of recent become regularly available. I like Davidoff?s Royalty very much, but it is not an economical smoke by any means, so why not give Gawith?s a try? I have tried the four Latakia based mixtures, Perfection included (though will not try it again). Skiff is the mildest, the other two being Squadron Leader (medium) and KBE (aka Commonwealth--full!). Skiff smokes very nicely.

It is mild, but flavoursome, and has that unmistakeable Latakia aroma that seems to split smokers and non smokers down the middle. My SLW, unfortunately, cannot tolerate the stuff (she keeps on asking me if its legal), and I have to retreat to the garden studio to enjoy any Latakia mixture. However, more than Latakia, what I really like about Skiff is the tangy predominance of the Turkish tobaccos. They add a very stimulating substance to the flavour, making it for me especially enjoyable. Indeed, Skiff is very mild and easy to smoke (packing is quick and lightening is no problem), but the extra Turkish gives the aroma perhaps a rather more pungent quality than SL or KBE (very much like Black Mallory and Red Raparee, in which being the former stronger, the latter is far more pungent). I find it a good option both to get acquainted with oriental mixtures, or as a change of pace when not in the mood for full bodied Latkia blends. In any case, it is an excellent companion when reading, say, Agatha Crhistie.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Skiff Mixture Mild is another of those tobaccos with a sailboat on the tin top. In this case, I suspect the sailboat is used part-time to ferry old smokers across the river Styx because this tobacco has no more substance than a will o' the wisp. Wraithlike, insubstantial, vaporous, airy, etheral, decarnate. It smells like tobacco, it looks like tobacco, but when you puff it, it vanishes. Bring poor Tiresias his libation of blood--and a decent tobacco. I shudder to think this pale spirit may once again haunt my humble abode.

Volvo 164 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Volvo 164 (4)

Nice, pleasant, easy-going and simple. This is how I would describe the Skiff mixture. Great for an afternoon smoke. At the end of the day I would opt for something richer and more complex.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is an excellent light/medium Latakia mélange, classically English. The Virginia base gives it a velvety herbal airiness, the Orientals a nutty tangibility, a silken briskness. Nifty!

The Latakia?Cyprus, probably?has been subtly applied; it gives the whole composition depth and ampleur, without bitterness. The start is a little austere perhaps, but when everything gets going, this is a wonderfully meditative tobacco; gentle, but not bland. Heartlily recommended as an introduction to Latakia, or as a subtly Balkanic change-of-pace mixture for discerning aromatophiles.