A traditional tobacco containing Old Belt Virginia, cool and slow burning, with a very distinctive mahogany aroma, which non pipe smokers find particularly attractive.

Notes: Also available in flake form.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Packaging50 grams tin, bulk
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.5
JimInks (2042)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As I discern no differences between this and the flake version, I’m essentially repeating that review here.The old belt Virginia provides a lot of dark fruit and earth, some wood, with a little vegetative grass. The floralness is very obvious, but loses a little strength in the last half of the experience. I also get a hint of Lakeland. It also has a light perfume among the sweet. The very woody, sour and sweet mahogany topping tones down the tobaccos a bit. Won’t bite or get harsh, but does sport a rough edge here and there. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Burns cool, clean, and a little slow as broken flakes will with a mostly consistent flavor. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. Has a lingering sour/sweet and floral after taste, and the room note is a little stronger. Not quite an all day smoke.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Gawith Hoggarth - Mellow Mahogany.

I opened this up, not knowing what I'd get; the pouch said broken flake and this site said ready rubbed so I wasn't sure. Once opened, the pouch revealed some slightly broken flakes; nothing like I'd describe as 'ready rubbed', to be fair it's closer to being what I'd class as a Flake instead of a Broken Flake.

The pouch gave a slightly woody/floral smell and this comes over in the smoke; however, the smoke tastes a lot more woody than floral. As well as this flavour, I also get a kind of dark fruit sweetness from the smoke; this is nowhere near as prominent as the woody note but noticeable nonetheless.

I love the room note from this blend, it's one of the woodiest I've experienced! There's also an extra bonus; even though the note's quite full there's not a great deal of actual smoke in the room.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this; it's a very enjoyable smoke, it falls just short of full marks!

Recommended.