Forums

What was your bigge...

Notifications
Clear all

What was your biggest blending mistake?

RonBohr
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Let me tell you mine because I doubt you can top it. 

I already have (had) a big jar 3/4 full of a Velvet/Paladin combo which I used to enjoy. I wasn't impressed with Sutliffe Apple 208 after a few fair tries so I grabbed the 2 oz bag and began mixing it in with the V/P. Why not, I figured. The apple is (to me) so barely there that the megaton of cherry will consume it. 

Then I looked at the empty bag and saw I grabbed the Father Dempsey, one the worst possible mixing errors I can imagine.

I'm too afraid to try the result. 

21 Replies
Nick R
Noble Member

I have only started to tinker with blends in the last few months. The only big oopsie I have made was RO Firestorm with some Creme Brulè. Yuck!

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I haven’t had any notable blending mistakes, never even thought about it. Now thanks to you guys I’m feeling a little paranoid about my next blending session 😜.

1 Reply
Relight

Prominent Member

Try it blindfolded, just for sport. 

Relight
Prominent Member

I had about a pound and a half of 2010 Luxury Bullseye Flake. I liked it but didn't love it. So I kept a half pound and rubbed the rest out, mixed about 40/60 with PS burley and jarred it. It's fine. I'm using it as a blending case. But that LBE became magical in 24 years and I pretty much ruined it by blending it. 

Relight
Prominent Member

Ron mybe you've invented the next great blend. 

People will be 4 starting Bohr's Best left and right. 

1 Reply
RonBohr

Trusted Member

Only if you try it first. 

RonBohr
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Jars been sitting sealed for an hour. Opened it and it doesn't exactly reek... 

ATW
Reputable Member

Not a blending mistake but a stoving mistake. This was about 10 years ago.

I didn't like HH vintage Syrian so I decided to stove it for a few minutes, which turned into 4 hours because I forgot I had it in the oven and went out to eat dinner with my dad and wife. When we came back, I kept getting a wiff of a burnt smokey smell and that's when I realized what it did. Stoving latakia for 4 hours is probably the worst smell I've ever dealt with when it come to tobacco.

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

This is not a mistake but more like an adventurous style of blending.

A great friend of mine used to blend all, I mean ALL the rests of the differents mixtures he smoked, a majority of heavy black cavendish and perfumed aromatic that smelled like a panettone or, I don't know, christmas pudding for the anglophones...

A big pot of everything and "let's see what happens" 🤣 

Sometimes I try it, just not to throw away old tobacco crumbles, but it's rarely good, even though I never smoke aromatics.

But it's fun to do a mess sometimes...

nach0
Noble Member

Once i had the ends of a pure burley that i tried to "improve" a vanila-chocate aromatic with some 'body and nicotine' ... simply gross hauahauahau since them i don't mix aromatics anymore only the ends of english mixtures.

3 Replies
RonBohr

Trusted Member

That sounds like it should have worked okay! 

nach0

Noble Member

Yeah but i was totally wrong hahahaha

Talking about only aromatics i've had some good experiences mixing tobaccos with same profile casing and topping. I wouldn't be afraid of mixing some ends of Hill of Slane with Eyleens Dream. 

pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

Personally I banned the aromatics years ago, and I don't miss them. Maybe one day I'll try one 😉 

Joseph
Prominent Member

@RonBohr, Can’t top that… You win 🤠…although I may surpassed you in repeated micro-failures. For instance, I recently smoked much of a 2oz tin of a particular popular blend, which had a disgusting barnyard funk (and shall remain nameless) - by “blending” it with various combinations of stuff I love - hoping to find a passable combo. Maybe a dozen single-bowl “fails” before I gave up. Barnyard funk just doesn’t go away. 😐

RonBohr
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Almost 24 hours later and I'm sacrificing a cob to see how bad it is. It's not great but not too very terrible. Maybe it'll improve with age. For now, it's a true Desert Island tobacco: if this was the only thing you had, would it be smokable? Well, yeah, but nowhere near the top 25 you'd prefer. Not even top 50.

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

My mistake it's more like a "cellaring disaster".

I wanted to store some kentucky to age for some years, and I read, years ago, in an old italian pipe blog, that it was fun to put the tobacco in a jar and cook it to make it vacuum-packed. It worked with a batch, but the second was bad closed, so now i have like 80 grams of very humid kentucky 🤣 

1715185571-20240506_142444.jpg
RonBohr
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Can it be dried out again? 

3 Replies
pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

I let that take some air, it will take some time, I put it in my new special tobacco jar for humid tobaccos, a teapot 🤗 

1715186310-20240506_154146.jpg
Relight

Prominent Member

This is the kind of ingenuity I can get behind. 

Bravo! 

pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

And I take it out once a day also, so it won't go moldy

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

50:50, Virginia Goldleaf and HH Rustica. What was I thinking?! 😞 

target="_blank"