Peterson's Luxury B...

Notifications
Clear all

Peterson's Luxury Blend clone?

Awfers
Topic starter
Estimable Member

Hello everyone!

Back before Peterson took over the Dunhill tobaccos, they used to make an aromatic called Luxury Blend. This was one of my favourite aromatics, but it has been out of production since around 2018.

What I have been able to find out about it is that the tobaccos are Orange and Golden Virginia, Black Cavendish and some Burley. It is list it as being topped with Honey and Vanilla. Tasting note was slight citrus (maybe from using orange blossom honey?), honey and a light vanilla, room note was not dissimilar.

Does anyone know of a clone that exists for this ?

Thanks!

28 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Hello from Michigan and welcome to the forum!

I don’t know of a clone of that tobacco, since I never smoked it, but it is possible that it may be re-issued if there is enough interest. The former Dunhill blends, now Peterson, only changed branding. They are made at the same factory by the same people. I suspect that some of the poorer performing blends were shelved due to profitability issues. It is certainly possible that more will be put into production again. 

From the description of it, you may want to try some of the Mac Baren blends. The flavor profile sounds similar to a number of them. 

8 Replies
Relight

Prominent Member

Scottish mixture, maybe?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Possibly, I was trying to nail down a few suggestions, but it’s difficult since I never smoked the tobacco he’s looking for, but a slight fruity and vanilla sounds like a Mac Baren staple. I would say Classic Amber, which sounds like it, but it’s not sold in the US. 

I do suspect from @Awfers description though that a new favorite could be found with Mac Baren. 

Estimable Member

The Peterson blends made by Kohlhase& Kopp (Luxury Blend is one of them ) are now sold under the Rattrays Aromatic Line. You just have to compare the flavourings and used tobaccos here on TR and you have youe beloved Luxury Blend. Wait I do it for you....semms to be Royal Albert even the description of Royal Albert meantiones orange too

Relight

Prominent Member

Pipey duck is a hero! 

Estimable Member

Too much honor but sometimer I think the same 🤣 

Awfers

Estimable Member

Thank you sir! I will be ordering this today and will report back.

Awfers

Estimable Member

Thank you sir! I will be ordering this soon and report back 😀 

nach0

Noble Member

wow.... nice to know it!

Awfers
Topic starter
Estimable Member

Wow, thanks everyone!

10 Replies

Estimable Member

To be honest, I do not smoke them myself. But a friend of me who runs a tobacco shop here in Hamburg is really close to Kohlhase &Kopp (now Kopp) . It was no secret that the company was not amused to loose the production to Mac Baren that time and started the Rattray Aromaticc And also the British Line. Since they still had the recipes they go one selling the former Peterson blends under this flag. You sure have realized the same or quite similiar descricption of Wallace Flake and University Flake and also Stirllng Flake and Irish Flake. TR mentioned what I write here at their Wallace Falke entry. 

Ironicaly I find no identical description for Luxury Flake. The other aromatics you will find easily by comparing the description at TR.

Hope everybody find their beloved tobacco 

Awfers

Estimable Member

Ok, so was K&K making Peterson up until the brand switched to the Dunhill blends, around 2018?

I can image there is a lot of back-stabbing in this industry. To be honest, I have not had any of the recent Peterson iterations of the old Dunhill blends (Victorian Mixture was one of my favourites, but since the demise of the Dunhill brand and the absence from the market, I moved onto other brands and types of tobacco).

Estimable Member

No, their loose their rights on peterson much earlier. At least 10 years ago. And Mac Baren was the succsessor. 

Some years later the production moved to STG. And STG bought some years ago the rights on Dunhill  recipes and produces their blends under the Peterson Flag. Because Dunhill will not appear as aproducer of pipe tobacco.

Only Dunhill knows the reason why,since they still make cigarettes 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Dunhill hasn’t actually made any tobaccos in decades, and in fact hasn’t even been an actual business since the 1980’s. The name only exists as a brand with rights to use that brand owned by others who do the manufacturing. The original Dunhill tobacco company was bought by the parent company that also owned Murray’s in the late 1980’s if I remember correctly. Murrays’s had already been their tobacco supplier prior to that and was already manufacturing some of their blends. Murray’s then started producing all of the Dunhill blends. When that company folded in 1999 I believe, the rights to the brand were broken up and sold off to different companies again. 

Awfers

Estimable Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Indeed, currently the brand is part of the Richemont luxury conglomerate.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Yes, but even that was a split up. When they acquired the Dunhill brand, it was rumored that the company (Dunhill) was far into the red and that the tobacco blends/brands would be sold separately since they were the most valuable assets to raise money. The piece that remained with Richemont was only the “luxury goods” aspect of the company. I never really did hear who got the pipe making part of it all or how that’s currently working. I really miss the old Murray’s era tobaccos. Everything done since in their name pales in comparison. 

Estimable Member

On the german site cigarworld.de is a travel report to the recently Dunhill workshop in London if I remeber correctly. There were many rumors these years ,Dunhill produce in Italy now or elsewhere,and the autor wants to counteract  them. But it is in german of course

Estimable Member

And Murrays make an excelent job by the way. The Light Flake was a benchmark for virginia flakes . It had a scent the recently do not have anymore. Also the latakia blends had more depth . It is my humble opinion and others say STG make a great job and they do  regarding quality of the leaf. But the characterristics of Murrays made them really special

Estimable Member

The shutdown of Murrays was as sadly as the closure of Mc Clelland to me. Maybe even more to me as a german smoker who had big difficulties getting tobacco from US

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Same with the cigarettes by the way, Dunhill doesn’t make them, the company that bought the rights to use the name and recipe does. 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

STG makes the now Peterson Elizabethan, the same company and factory that made the Dunhill branded Elizabethan. It’s the same tobacco, there was no change to it. 

nach0
Noble Member

I would recommend you to try MacBaren original choice, Vanilla cream Flake and Vanilla loose cut.

1 Reply
Awfers

Estimable Member

Thanks, I actually already have some Vanilla Cream and their Original Choice. OC I find nice for every day, but the Vanilla Dream is a bit heavy.

Recently, I've been smoking Westminster, a blend only available in Switzerland. It is essentially a rather mild English with an OK flavour and is happily rather inexpensive.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

By the way, I just put together that you are from Switzerland. My ex wife and still my best friend is from Riggisberg, Canton Bern. In fact I’m going with her to Switzerland in August. Even though I grew up speaking High German as a second language, I never could quite wrap my head around Schweizerdeutsch. I never got farther than understanding what she was saying but being unable to reply. She still asks me to say “cheese pie” occasionally just so she can laugh at me, I think. 😃

1 Reply
Awfers

Estimable Member

Ah, yes, the Hinterlands around Bern have some rather interesting accents. Most Swiss German dialects from the different regions use different /shortened words compared to Hochdeutsch (Mini Schwiiz being an example). It's not too dissimilar to parts of Bavaria, especially in small villages in the Franken region, and let's not forget Plattdeutsch.

Still, you can answer in Hochdeutsch, it is taught in the schools here and just about every Swiss German will understand, or maybe even make an effort to speak in Hochdeutsch so you can understand better.

Same thing can sort of be said for the French used in parts of Valais and upper Vaud, compared to the that used nearer Lausanne / Geneva.

Wishing you a pleasant trip in August !

Awfers
Topic starter
Estimable Member

Ok, ordered a tin of Rattray's Royal Albert, it arrived today. Tin note is very similar to Luxury Blend. In the bowl it's almost 100% identical.

Thanks again @pipey duck !

2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

I've smoked the Luxury Blend i it was really good. Nice to know about the Royal Albert.

Estimable Member

That sounds good. I am really glad you to help. Enjoy

target="_blank"