Any opinions on C&D...

Notifications
Clear all

Any opinions on C&D’s Bijou?

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

I’ve been eyeing it for a while, but it’s not straightforward to get, for me. So, do you think it’s worth the extra effort?

7 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I’m curious to hear what people say about this blend. I’ve never tried it. Virginia/Oriental blends are definitely in my interest range, but from reading the reviews on it I couldn’t see anything that made me feel like I need to try it. That whole “cellar series” thing that C&D did turned me off a bit, selling blends that are supposed to be at their best in ten to fifteen years of waiting just seems wrong to me somehow. “Hey, buy this tobacco! It’s not that great right now but if you wait fifteen years to open it, it will be fantastic!” elicits a response from me that I shouldn’t type here. 

3 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Yes, that caught my notice! 😄 However, there are some people in the reviews who think it’s pretty good now. I’m definitely in two minds whether to bother with the extra effort for this blend

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Hopefully someone chimes in with real experience, maybe I’ll add a can to my next order since it’s not quite like running a gauntlet for me to get it like it may be for you. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Who knows were we will be in ten to fifteen years... 

ATW
Reputable Member

I've been thru a few tins of bijou over the years. It's dark, sweet, slightly spicy. The honey casing is not obvious but it does help add to the dark sweetness. And it adds to that oriental "funk" that Katerini has. It's a very nice mature tasting blend straight from the tin. My last batch is from 2019 and it mellows over time. I recommend everyone try it at least once.

Ithian
Estimable Member

I would describe Bijou as a Straight Virginia "Plus". That's how it feels, that's how it smokes. It's exactly the kind of Oriental that I like (Katerini) added to already delightful Virginias. Light, citrussy, sweet, floral, herbal. Perfect summer blend.

Bijou is the blend that I pack in my deepest bowls because you can just enjoy it for a long time without you or your palate getting tired of it. Some complexity to keep you engaged but not too much that it would feel like a sacrilege smoking it while doing other things. 

There's only one thing with it: Smoking it I often find myself "searching" for some Perique. It's hard to describe but somewhere far in the background, my tastebuds seem to be missing something. And I think a small doze of Perique or Kentucky would satisfy that itch.

If you like straight Virginias, you'll definitely find Bijou a very pleasant change and addition.

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

I mistakenly opened Bourbon Bleu from the Cellar Series after only a year of aging. I really enjoyed the tart sweet flavour the ripe Virginias have. I smoked a lot of it before I put the rest of it away to age in a jar. Of course tobacco is better aged, but some young tobacco once in a while is a nice change of pace. 

target="_blank"