Forums

Pipe acquisition sy...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Pipe acquisition syndrome support

Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

Help!  I keep going back to look at this Upshall.

I get it has no collector value, with a replacement stem and that marker? on the rim. I think I could get that off, BTW. But when am I going to ever own an Upshall, even a Tilsbury? I mean $80? That grain. 

Talk me down. 😂

https://www.pulverspriorbriar.com/english/james-upshall-p-32124-2780

1715015257-IMG_007280.jpeg
42 Replies
1 Reply
Purple Potato

Eminent Member

Posted by: Relight

https://www.pulverspriorbriar.com/english/james-upshall-p-32124-2780

Cool shop, I will bookmark it.

I really wish he'd take the "SOLD" pipes down though. I've never understood the point of that. Advertising somehow? I don't know. But the first four or five I thought, "okay I like the look of tha... oh, it's sold. Never mind".

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Kind of hard to raise any negatives that aren’t already mentioned. That is pretty wood. 

2 Replies

Estimable Member

I had a look on their website; they are dirt cheap!! I had only a look at their englisch pipes, but I have enough comparisons to say they are cheap. Especialy the Comoys and even the Charatans which I collect in a humble way

Relight

Prominent Member

Marty is a really good guy too. I mean he talked me out of a sale. 

And he truly knows pipes. They've been his life. 

All of my production pipes are estates I bought from him over the years.

When I first started smoking and buying pipes I started with his estate bundles of 4 or 5 pipes. It was a great way to learn and build a collection. I still have a couple Baris I got from his bundles and kept because they smoke so good. 

Joseph
Prominent Member

…the first thing I thought was …there’s plenty of room on your “door-rack”. 😃 …the second was, “and even if it gets a ding or stem damage, it won’t be the first one it ever saw. 😬 Now I’m just wondering - with such an amazing fanned straight-grain - how amazing is the birdseye on the crown of the bowl? 🤠

(not much help “talking you down”, huh?)

1 Reply
Relight

Prominent Member

You nailed it though, Joseph. It's my kind of pipe. We've established I'm not the careful sort. So good smoking pope's that are fun to look at despite their flaws is right up my alley.

I emailed Marty to ask his thoughts. I'm shopping for a birthday gift for myself. We'll see what he says. 

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

I was about to try to talk you down but, I mean, the passion for pipes, in my opinion, it's a bit irrational, and that's why it is so fun.

If a pipe chooses you it's difficult to say: "Nay, you shan't come with me!" 🤣 

3 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

You nailed it. "If a pipe choses you". The secondary effects of this are: ansiety, the mind is invaded by the image of the pipe, wake up suddenly in the middle of the night, and many others. The treatment is very simple, buy the pipe.

nach0

Noble Member

Everyone here gonna face it for the rest of ours lifes. Hahahaha 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

It would be nice all the things had a so easy solution.

Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

Well. Marty talked me down. He was very honest and said he didn't thing the pipe was comfortable. Too big. Too square in the front. 

He recommended a Savenelli Punto Oro. 

Maybe all for the best. I have a winning bid on ebay that might hold. I'll know in 20 minutes.

I might be happy. 

Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

I won! 

I'm 99% sure This Cammineto Business 198 has a replacement lucite stem. I can't see a mustache anywhere in the pics.

That's perfect for me. I don't care and it kept the collectors away. 

Always wanted a pick axe and this one looks quite comfortable. 

1715042375-Screenshot_20240506_183520_Chrome.jpg
4 Replies
pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

Very nice! Looks like the artisans from Caminetto got a bit of inspiration from the Kriswill style...

Relight

Prominent Member

They got direct inspiration from Costello. Radice and Ascorti left Costello to start Caminetto as a competitor to Costello. I saw in an old thread on another forum that TRs own own JimInks is a Caminetto fan. Maybe I'll taste all those things he does. 🤣

I dig Italian pipes. Not just Italian. But moreso than others.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Caminetto#:~:text=Caminett o's%20history%20started%20in%201959,regained%20glory%20for%20Italian%20pipemaking.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I have seen Camineto pipes virtually identical than Castello 32 and 33 and the price is also similar

Relight

Prominent Member

Ha. I just reread this. 

I wonder if Abbot makes pipes too. 😂

We need a special pipe autocorrect dictionary. 

Awfers
Estimable Member

Both of those are very nice... Congrats on winning that one!

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

But I can talk you down about buying a lot of pipes...

Years ago Mr Fincato, the proprietor of the excellent and beautiful pipe store in Rome, told me: "Buy one pipe a year, one that really is special". It wasn't easy to stay zen, it's still not simple today (thanks to the internet!) but I'm following his suggestion and I only buy in a shop where I know the owner and I have a good connection with them, so not only this particular pipe will be special because I waited a lot to take it, but it will carry also that experience, that morning or afternoon talking with the pipe retailer, the moment of thrill when I decide to do this crazy thing and spend some money on an object that will be special to me and only me.

There aren't retailers that sell good pipes around me, so that helps with standing by the zen style, but I always do an exception for 2nd hand pipes I find in flea markets, cause hunting pipes on the week-end is always fun 🤠 

2 Replies
Relight

Prominent Member

I've been buying pipes a long time. I have relatively few.

I haven't bought a pipe in over 10 years. 

pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

Well go nuts then!!!  😀 

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

Castello really are beauties, handmade with love in northern Italy.

Another really great brand  from Italy it's Rinaldo, it's two artisans from Pesaro, and also another great it's Musicò.

Enjoy the new Caminetto!

8 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I’ve wanted several Castellos I’ve seen, but they don’t make pipes with filters (that I’ve seen).

Relight

Prominent Member

Yeah. Not that I'm aware of.

I agree, Lee.  The esthetic of Castello just works for me. I've never owned one. I got into Savenellisbecause of similarities to Castellos. You might stumble on something that moves you. Lots of filtered options. I've not used their balsa filters but hear good things.

Have you used them? 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Yeah, I own a few Savinellis, with 6 & 9mm filter capacities and without. I use different types of filter, depending on the tobacco, what I’ve eaten and the state of my tongue 😊 Balsa wood allows most flavour to pass through, but isn’t that effective dealing with moisture and tars. They don’t protect my tongue as effectively as carbon filters, for example, which is especially noticeable if my tongue is sensitive. But, what carbon filters gain on protection, they lose on allowing flavour pass-through. Having said that, I’d rather smoke with a carbon-filter and enjoy it, than without and suffer tongue-bite.

Rene12

Honorable Member

I was in a pipe shop in italy looking at castello's first one I saw the drilling was way off centre, second one had quite a blemish on the smooth surface(black dot that really stood out) so I opted not to get one. For a pipe with a price tag like that I want perfection. That's just my experience off course might just have been bad luck. I got an ill ceppo instead and it's one of my best smokers for less than half the price! And off course now I have two of them😅 and I would never trade them in for a single castello!

Relight

Prominent Member

I agree, Rene. Castellos are good eye candy. But old Savenellis are the same briar and the craftsmanship is at least equal imo. I can afford Castellos. But I'm a cheap bastard at heart and get more joy from a great smoking old pipe I feel like I got a deal on.

However, did you say ill ceppo? I keep going back to check this one. I hope somebody buys it soon before I can no longer control myself. 

1715269276-Screenshot_20240509_092918_Chrome.jpg
Rene12

Honorable Member

That's a great deal! Original price seems a bit steep though. Great looking pipe. I'm sure somebody will buy it pretty soon. If that somebody turns out to be you I'd like to hear how well you like it.

Relight

Prominent Member

I'd love to have it. But my PAD has finally subsided. I went on a bender. Nothing pricey. But I'm pretty enthused about the Orlik Corona I just bought last night. I'm now back to thinking it's pre Cadogan. And the little Royal Danish Ukelele has me rechecking delivery status hourly. 

Oh and my meerschaum should arrive today. 😁

I think I'll spend the hundred and a half on tobacco. 

Rene12

Honorable Member

Right you are! pipes are a lot less fun without tobacco 😉 

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

Ok I need help. I always say that I only buy a pipe a year and only in shops I know and like. Now I was bored and I'm on the website of one of these shops, and well, there's this beauty...

1715860268-Screenshot_20240516-134719_Chrome.jpg
8 Replies
pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

A 2nd hand Dunhill Cumberland, quite pricey for me (around 280€ with shipping), but still difficult to resist... 😥 

pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

And I didn't buy a pipe this year 😱 

pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

So my girlfriend did a good talk down 🤣 

pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

Bankrupt avoided 😜 

Relight

Prominent Member

Boooooooo.

Buy the pipe 🤣

nach0

Noble Member

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

AHAHAH

Purple Potato

Eminent Member

That looks like something Gandalf would smoke.

Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

Pretty good deal on an old, all original, relatively pristine Castello. 

1715904481-Screenshot_20240516_153925_Chrome.jpg
Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

I missed this by 3 minutes. 

1716082724-Screenshot_20240518_193721_Chrome.jpg
1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Relight
Topic starter