Forums

Hello from the wild...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello from the wild lands of DEATH METAL

DeathMetal.org
Topic starter
Estimable Member

I enjoy a good pipe along with a solid slab of apocalyptic metal like Carnage "Dark Recollections" or Sepultura "Morbid Visions." Somehow, they work together... for me. Your mileage may vary! I am a writer and editor from Texas who goes nuts for just about anything with dark fired Kentucky Burley in it.

22 Replies
CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

More of a Virginia guy, but I do not mind a good dark fired blend. Smoking some right now. Welcome.

6 Replies
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

I can go nuts for some Virginia blends too. "Royal Yacht" may be my favorite of all time, and if anyone breaks out Gawith Hoggarth stuff I tend to get all sweaty and buggy eyed. Their "Brown Twist Sliced" is going to be an eternal favorite, although it keeps getting prohibitively pricey.

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

I keep a jar of Royal Yacht around most of the time. Really unique experience. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

A vintage Royal Yacht or the Peterson version?

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

Still working on some Dunhill, but the Peterson version is from the same recipe and factory. 

DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

I noticed some differences and chronicled them in a blog post. I am not saying that anyone is incorrect in their public statements, only that maybe some things were not documented or had to change owing to availability of raw leaf.

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

That is a possibility, but that could simply be a tin to tin difference, not a brand thing.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Hello from Michigan! I find Opeth goes well with contemplative blends. 

5 Replies
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

For some reason, "Old Joe Krantz" and Skepticism are working for me today. Not sure where this one came from, but it helped me hear the lurking Bathory influence. I was never really an Opeth fan, but I liked all those experimental Nordic bands like Cemetary, At the Gates, and Cadaver. Some fascinating musicians come from that area.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I can’t say that I’m a big fan of Opeth, or progressive death metal in general, but I do have a few of their albums. Their style transitions are a bit jarring for me, but combined with a tobacco I want to think about, they can work. 

Just last week I was playing this, Heretic, it was still out next to my turntable. Morbid Angel was my real introduction to death metal, I bought Altars of Madness when it first came out and I still play them often. I’m actually more of a heavy metal fan when it comes to “harder” music, Judas Priest Painkiller was spinning last night, but as it’s said, it’s all good!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Forgot to attach the pic

1692841129-IMG_5041.jpeg
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

"Painkiller" is an absolute classic. Like Judas Priest taking inspiration from Slayer and the rising death metal movement at the time. Morbid Angel is another classic, although I sort of faded out of paying attention after "Covenant."

ATW

Reputable Member

Watershed is my favorite opeth album

Old Tom
Trusted Member

Greetings from a fellow metalhead!

2 Replies
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

Greetings! What are your favorite metal/tobacco pairings?

Old Tom

Trusted Member

I've found that English blends compliment old school black metal quite well (as well as dungeon synth).

ATW
Reputable Member

I'm more on the black metal side. Blut aus nord, watain, convulsing. But I've been listening to a bit of Necrophagist lately.

3 Replies
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

New Sammath is quite good, in my view. There's some black metal coming back.

ATW

Reputable Member

I'll have to check it out. Here lately I've been stuck on Abigors, Fractal Possessions. I've found alot of high potential BM bands over the last couple of years, but my issue is it's becoming likely anything else. It's all cookie cutter bands.

DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

Looking at the review queue for today... I heartily agree. This process began back in 1996. There are a few worthy standouts, like Demoncy, that came about after that time, and some current bands that have enough of their own personality to get past the question of originality of style. The genre still seems stuck in the third Darkthrone album.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I'm mostly an outdoor smoker and just listen the noises around me. when I smoke, I like to concentrate in the smoke. I smoke alone, and don't do any distracting thing.

1 Reply
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

This is also something I enjoy. Lately I have been pairing doom metal with lengthy smokes, specifically the first few Skepticism albums.

target="_blank"