Notifications
Clear all

53 year old baby pipe smoker

Erik
 Erik
Topic starter
Estimable Member

Hello everyone,

Just a brief introduction.  I’ve been lurking for a while but figured I’d step forward finally. 

I’m 53, and smoking a pipe for the first time. I fell upon the idea while researching mindfulness and relaxation. I found that pipes do in fact, “…keep your hands busy and your mouth shut.”  Wonderfully calming. 

I grew up surrounded by German immigrants who were never without a pipe and a spirited discussion while smoking them (and schnapps).  The pipes bring warm, nostalgic memories.

So, now I’m here to navigate the forums and videos to start learning my tobaccos, my pipes, my techniques and general wisdom shared by others. Thanks to all of you in advance!

-Erik

14 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Hi Erik and welcome from Michigan! When I read the title of your introduction, I was wondering, “baby pipe smoker”? Babies don’t smoke pipes, maybe he means he likes little tiny pipes? Or he’s a 53 year old baby? I was confused until I read your intro 🤪😂😂

Anyway, I’m just joking around. Glad you’re here!

1 Reply
Erik
 Erik

Estimable Member

Thanks Ted.

I suppose you’re right: the Subject line I used will probably cause consternation among some Google searchers out there. 😏 

Joseph
Noble Member

Hello Erik! and welcome aboard from Sacramento, CA 🖐️ 🤠  ...never too old to be a "baby" pipe smoker. gotta start somewhere if you're gonna start at all.

1 Reply
Erik
 Erik

Estimable Member

Thanks Joseph.  And to your point, being older grants me the patience to take small steps that I couldn’t have done when younger.  25 years ago, I would’ve quit after that first tongue bite! 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Hello Erik!. Welcome on board from Spain. Never is late to start smoking pipes. Hope you enjoy very much. Happy smoking!

Nick R
Noble Member

Welcome from Colorado! Lots of great folks here to guide you.

nach0
Famed Member

Hello from Brazil. You just arrive in the best place on internet to learn about tobacco and pipe smoking. Feel welcome here and don't feel shy to ask anything you need. The community is really nice and happy to help each other. 🍻 

1 Reply
Erik
 Erik

Estimable Member

I appreciate it! 🙂 

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Welcome aboard from Canada. Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here. Enjoy!

1 Reply
Erik
 Erik

Estimable Member

I’m fascinated with how this forum has members from all over the globe…even Canada!! 😜 

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

Hi Erik! Welcome to the forum!

I started smoking a pipe over a year ago and I can honestly say it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I needed some pleasure in my life and I found endless amounts in this wonderful activity. It never gets boring, for me. There’s always something new to explore. Even smoking familiar blends can provide me with new experiences and I still find it interesting how they change from day to day. That’s why I recommend having a wide selection to choose from. I propose it’s a skill, even an art, to choose the right tobacco at the right time. Something I’ve got much better at over time.

Anyway, I look forward to reading about your progress!

1 Reply
Erik
 Erik

Estimable Member

Wonderful. There’s hope that I’ll make some progress in a year. 

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

Welcome from New Jersey. Glad you're here. 😁

1 Reply
Erik
 Erik

Estimable Member

Thank you.  It’s appreciated. 

target="_blank"