Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Driftwood Finish

CRASHtheGREY
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Frequently a well guarded secret by only a handful of pipe makers, this is a chemical finish involving bleach and an acid. Of course, that means filling a space with chlorine gas, so I recommend good ventilation and not suing me. It takes days.

1691205073-20230721_152638.jpg
34 Replies
CRASHtheGREY
Topic starter
Reputable Member

One finished product, before buffing and sealing. 

1691205150-20230726_211640.jpg
4 Replies

Any hints on the type of chemicals, or ratios? I tried for years to replicate the Driftwood finish, Walle style, before retiring from the pipe making game--but I'm still curious for my own pipes. Every six months or so, I search for answers, and this is as close as I've come.

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

Bleach and oxalic acid.

Any chance you could help us out with more information to keep us safe? ratios of acid to bleach?

I'd rather not just dive in and start experimenting but I will if I don't have another option.

Cheers!

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

I mentioned below that it is a scoop. No great measurements because I adapt based on how many pipes I am doing at a time. Really, it takes some practice. If doing one pipe, figure out how much bleach will cover it and do a reasonable scoop based on that. As long as you mix it outside and let it off gas from a distance, you will be fine. When the foaming stops you are fine to be near it. The gas is heavier than air so it will not blast you in the face after that.

Trusted Member
  1. For some reason I can't see the attachments. But I'm very intrigued by a driftwood finish.
1 Reply
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

@wm_malone3yahoo-com I'll figure out why they aren't showing and get them up.

1691264476-20230726_211653.jpg
MattRVA
Eminent Member

Very cool 

BriarBerg

That's so cool. Is that something Kaywoodie has a history of?

1 Reply
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

@gregrtobaccopipes-com Kaywoodie has never done it. Something I reached out to a friend so I could do some Greywoodie versions.

CRASHtheGREY
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Bath.

1691265610-received_981596866426310.jpeg
MONT3M

Beautiful! What a unique looking finish!

Does the bleach/acid bath do anything to the integrity of the briar?

1 Reply
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

@mont3m it softens the briar during the baths. If you touch it at this point it will ruin the whole finish. But once it dries it is back to solid. I have one many years old from the guy who taught me this and it has held up like any other briar. It is pretty neat.

CRASHtheGREY
Topic starter
Reputable Member

The pictures do show up if you scroll down when the screen goes grey. Just figured this out.

Really cool - I gotta try this on an old estate pipe!

How do you get rid of the bleach and chemicals after bathing it for a few days?

1 Reply
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

It's only on the outside, you plug the bowl and airway. It also evaporates right off. No smell whatsoever by the time it is dry.

CRASHtheGREY
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Just need to buff them now.

1691972986-20230813_190804.jpg
Trusted Member

Great looking poker!

Nicely understated and elegant.

1 Reply
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

Thank you! 

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

This is fantastic, I really want one

1 Reply
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

I have them available. 

Hi,

gerat pics - would you mind sharing with us an approximate ratio of the bath?

I have an old Brulor Bulldogg that would be neat for this kind of treatment - but I am hesitant to just bath it in pure chloride and experiment with acids afterwords.....

3 Replies
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

A small scopp of oxalic acid in enough bleach to cover the pipe. Mis the bath outside. It makes mustard gas. Do not breathe it.

thanks a lot - I got enough oxalix acid at hand due to my beekeeping 🙂
Do you use chloride bleach or hydroperoxide?

And of course I ll mix it in the garden - as I m not a chemist I ll also wear glasses and gloves as I hate chemicals hahahaha but the look is really neat.

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

I use what I can find. Usually chlorox but the higher priced pure one without the extra nonsense. 

CRASHtheGREY
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Sorry all. I got super busy preparing for Capitaland Pipe Show and could not get on for a bit. I have answered all of your questions now.

Silver Sharktooth
Trusted Member

I learned from an accident, my pipe was left in my cargo shorts and it went to the washer machine with Oxyclean (Vanish), the briar came out all natural colour after it dries out, it smoked perfect.

Relight
Noble Member

I just saw this thread and then checked out the Greywoodie site. So damned cool. I'm probably at least gonna need a goat Tshirt and since I'm buying.... 

5 Replies
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

Thank you, man! I really appreciate the kind words!

Relight

Noble Member

What's the word on new Kaywoodie stock?  New stuff coming? I'll be honest I got one in an estate lot years ago. It had a stinger and I hated it. I think I threw it away (Oops). I Kinda just tuned Kaywoodie out after that. 

I love that they've been making modern high quality pipes. Now I want one. 😂

And your stuff is flat beautiful. I do have a soft spot for pokers. 

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

If you missed the big news, I bought Kaywoodie. The first inventory I finished sold out but I'll have more within a month. I am balancing moving the equipment, setting up the new space, and still making the pipes. 

Relight

Noble Member

Oh wow. I didn't put the pieces together. Now I really want one. I'll watch the site. 

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

No worries. I trained under Bill a long time as his main, and later only, retailer. He personally asked me to take over after his illness. Greywoodie pipes were as much practice to make Kaywoodie pipes as they were their own line, but we were using the same briar and similar equipment. Sign up for emails and you'll be the first to know about new inventory. I rarely send any email that does not include new inventory, and then I wait a day to post to social media. 

Relight
Noble Member

Done 

target="_blank"