Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Stingers

Silver Sharktooth
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Hello, does anyone

could tell me please what is the advantage of some pipes having a long stinger, kind of a medical needle that goes from the mouthpiece thru the shank?

I cannot figure it out and I never tried one, but some Dunhill states I have been looking for have it.

1712506618-IMG_0423.jpeg
4 Replies
Reputable Member

A metal stinger is supposed to condense the moisture out of the smoke and in theory help eliminate, or slowdown, the moisture from going up the pipe stem and into your mouth. I’ve had several pipes with stingers in them. Some work better than others, but all of them only work up to a point.

The disadvantage of stingers and also the alternative is that stingers won’t allow you to shove a pipe cleaner into the stem and preferably all the way into the bowl to wick the moisture out that pools up at the bottom the bowl.

I usually pull the stingers out and don't use them. I prefer shoving a pipe cleaner into the stem when necessary. 

1 Reply
Silver Sharktooth

Trusted Member

Thank you

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I think @Gripsholm covered it, I have always removed them myself. I haven’t had notable benefits from using them. One other thing I would add is that some of them really restrict the airflow more than I like, some prefer their airflow more restricted. Has a lot to do with how you smoke. For example, breath method vs puffer. Overall I would say there’s a valid reason they are really uncommon in pipes these days. 

1 Reply
Silver Sharktooth

Trusted Member

Thank you, I guess you hit main point, it should be a reason why the system did not gain too many adepts, thank you!

target="_blank"