Butera Dark Stoved

(2.91)
For the connoisseur who appreciates and enjoys the tangy, fragrant aromas, and sweet, rich tastes of well-seasoned, dark stoved tobaccos. A single zesty lemon Virginia leaf, picked at its peak, aged to perfection, carefully slow-stoved under pressure until the cakes turn to beautiful chocolate brown. Cut to flake form, Dark Stoved offers a maze of diverse tastes, with a mysterious flavor curve ranging from tart and spicy, through smooth and mellow... The perfect after-dinner, evening smoke... Cool and slow burning from top to bottom.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.91 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 40 of 43 Reviews
Sep 03, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
On the plus side, if you think you might enjoy dark stoved VAs, this might be a good one for many to try. Milder, even a bit generic, than many other similar blends and fairly uncomplex, this could give the smoker a sense of what dark stoved are like without being overwhelming. On the other hand, this tobacco bit me hard, which is rare for any VA. The generic uncomplexity might have had me wavering between a 2 and a 3, but the bite brings it easily down to a 2 for me.
Pipe Used: various briars & cobs
PurchasedFrom: pipes & cigars
Sep 19, 2012 Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This morning I woke up at 4:30 in the morning and could not sleep. I read a lot in the forums and got my kids off to school at 6:40. I came home feeling adventurous. Having been gifted 14 tins of tobacco yesterday, I had a whole new world of tobacco to choose from so I looked the tins over and saw this one: Butera's Royal Vintage Dark Stoved. Never heard of the brand. Upon further investigation I discovered it to be made by The McClelland Tobacco Company. It sounded interesting.

Pickled tobacco??? This I had to try, so I cracked the tin to find It full of 1x2", slightly broken slices of dark reddish black flake. The smell was that of Perique on steroids. Way more of a vinegary, Ketchup smell, yet appealing. I pulled 2 of the slices out and prepared them in the cube cut method and loaded my Savinell Long John. It took 3 char lights to get it ready for the true light and you could very much taste the ketchup flavor come through but it was smokey and nice.

True light: Very much the same as the char light only very heavy with a tangy, almost Perique note as the main component. There was also a slight sweetness that came through. Maybe a hint of leather too. As I got into the heart of the bowl the sweetness came out more and more but was far from sweet like the typical Virginia. The tangy flavor still took center stage and continued to take center stage throughout the whole bowl.. I wish I could be more descriptive but it is certainly its own flavor. I can't think of anything to compare it to other than A really strong Perique but a lot more sour and tangy and less spicy. You could tell you were smoking a Virginia, but it was way in the background. You could also tell it was a Virginia in a subtle way by the way the smoke felt on your tongue. It was making my mouth water excessively. I had to stop smoking several times to wipe my stem.lol

The end of the bowl took on a little different flavor. The components all kind of ran together. It was more mild on the tang and you could tell you were smoking a Virginia even more except it was still not very sweet. It calmed down and finished a lot like most other Virginias I have smoked. I was surprised that it smoked really cool and dry. I am going to cellar the remainder of the tin till I get a more refined taste. It was enjoyable, but in the same way an amusement park is enjoyable. Its great to go to every once in awhile, but not an every day thing. I would recommend it as something to at least try.

I know this has been a bit of a confusing review, but its a very complex smoke and I'm a very new smoker. Happy smoking!!
Jun 14, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
Comprised of light black to very dark brown shiny broken flakes, the tin nose is sharp with the signature McClelland aroma of vinegar with sweet and woody undertones. Thick, leathery, and none too pliable the flakes are tinned quite moist and require careful preparation. Something of a chore to pack and light, in the the bowl Dark Stoved offers an overall sweet smoke with occasional notes of fig, dark chocolate, and wood. A bit of tangy sourness appears now and again as does some spice. Mild to medium bodied, the finish is short and dry.

As far as American stoved Virginias go, Butera's Royal Vintage Dark Stoved is an offering in the same vein as McClelland's Dark Star, although much lighter and less complex. The sample on which this review is based was tinned about three years prior to opening. While not unpleasant Dark Stoved is certainly not among the best in class nor is it a particularly noteworthy smoking tobacco in general.
Aug 15, 2008 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
A solid Virginia flake similar to Dark Star. The flavor is deep and complex. I will be smoking more of this for sure.
May 23, 2005 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I was enticed by the tin description, and it was the last tin at the shop where I bought it. In a word: horrible! It's especially hard to imagine because this is a Butera/McClelland collaboration. (I know you're gloating, but shut up, Miciu!) The flakes, black as pitch, do not have any of the characteristic sweetness and complexity of McC's Dark Star. The slices are hard to rub out and they're slick and even a bit soggy, like damp leather. You have to wind up cutting the flakes into little cubes or strips. It's impossible to light this stuff and even more impossible to stay lit; I went through a half book of matches. A 'multi-dimensional array of flavors?' Give me a break; the taste was hot, burned my tongue immediately and was gummy in the bowl. I believe this stuff wasn't cured, it was boiled like pasta. I wound up emptying the bowl and throwing this crap out. I can't even describe the flavor or the lack thereof. It's just hot, stoved exhaust. I'll try drying this out for a few days, though I doubt it will help. This is a bad item that Butera should have enough sense to no longer market. I suppose we're all entitled to a flop. Try the other Buteras, such as Latakia 1 or 2, his Esoterica line, or go for McC's Dark Star if you want a heavily blackened dark Virginia flake with multi-dimensional flavor and bouquet. Avoid Dark Stoved at all cost. I agree with Pipestud on this one: yechhhhhhhh!

Zero of Five stars
Apr 07, 2005 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant
Dark Star is a favorite of mine. Even though I don't always have a tin of it open, there's always some in the cellar. However, Dark Star is not always the appropriate choice for me when it comes to stoved VAs. The flake can come off a little too bold, too zesty or tangy -- a little overbearing in the flavor department. This of course depends on my mood, time fo day, what I've eaten, the pipe it's in, and other variables that are unique to the smoker.

When the mood calls for a silky, buttery finish but with just a little less in the all-out flavor and mouthfeel adventure that is Dark Star, Butera Royal Vintage Dark Stoved is the ticket. Butera's flake is just toned down a bit. It's an excellent, breezy smoke that is still full of flavor and interest.

When you feel like Dark Star might be a bit much, reach for this instead. Save the Dark Star for a more suitable moment.
Oct 29, 2004 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This was recommended to me by someone who knows that McClelland Dark Star is one of my all-time favorites. Unfortunately, it isn't in the same league.

As Beer says, this is obviously a McClelland product. But the beauty of Dark Star is the combination of zesty/tangy, leathery, sweet, savory, caramel/toasty and rich elements, all combined in perfect balance. Dark Stoved lacks this balance, having none of the darker tones. Like a tannic red wine with no follow-through. There is no pay-off. It also bites the tongue. With Dark Star, Blackwoods Flake and 2035 available, I don't see any need to keep this around.
JSB
Apr 21, 2004 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
When I first opened the tin of this tobacco the sour aroma was overwhelming but this aroma did not overpower the flavor .this was one of the coolest smoking tobaccos I have tried in a long time. There was only a slight sour taste and aroma wile smoking. The flavor was consistent throughout the entire bowl, this has quickly become one of my favorite blends and I highly recommend this one.
Mar 17, 2002 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I've only had one bowl of this so far and that was in a Castello that seems to like any Virginia but if first impressions mean anything this is one pleasant blend.

The flake texture reminds one of Dark Star or 2035. That is to say the flake could be used to repair worn shoe soles. Upon rubbing out and lighting the taste is very refined for a Va. This is something that could be smoked with very little thought but doing so is going to mean that one misses a lot of subtle tastes. All in all this is a great choice to introduce someone to Va. blends or for the seasoned smoker looking for an all around good smoke.
Feb 11, 2019 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The flake are broken and chunky (and quite hard too), and quite moist, but beautifully dark. The smell is like dried fruit, vinegar-like, and sweet. It doesn't have that ketchup smell most people talk about, to me.

It doesn't take the flame that easily, needs quite a few relights, which I find, makes you eventually burn out the taste of the tobacco because you just have to keep subjecting the tobacco to so much heat. The flakes are so chunky, and trying to rub it out leaves you with something that isn't flexible to be packed and burned easily. They're like chips and chunks. The flavor I did manage to get leaned on fruit notes, bread notes, and vinegar- very fermented. I know the Virginias are stoved, and I am not a fan. To me, it removes the character of the taste and mouthfeel of the Virginias, and I just feel like I am smoking something airy and rather hollow. This is my opinion with many of McClelland Virginias. However, if you enjoy McClelland's Virginias, I think you may like this blend. I gave the rating of 'somewhat recommended' because of the packing issues and consistency of the tobacco. My rating is not a reflection of the taste or quality of the tobacco. There are enjoyable notes. It's just not a tobacco for me.

I found the nicotine level is mild. Same with the strength and taste.

If you like many of the other McClelland Virginias, especially the ones containing stoved Virginias, then I recommend this blend.
Pipe Used: Various briars
PurchasedFrom: brick and mortar shop in NYC
Apr 30, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The tin scent of Dark Stoved is typical of McClelland made Virginia blends. It takes forever to dry to the consistency that I prefer to smoke their Virginias. In the pipe, my preferred way to smoke this is with fairly large pieces (not quite fold and stuff) and a little fully rubbed out at top of the bowl. I also made sure to not pack it too tightly to get the most out of it. I have noticed that there are a lot of comparisons to Dark Star, so here’s my two cents. It isn’t Dark Star any more than Deluxe Navy Rolls is Escudo although the appearance to Dark Star is very similar. This is tangy, but for my taste buds, (for what it’s worth) I find Dark Star tangier. I find this to offer a little more complex flavor than Dark Star too. It is sugary and smooth. There are a fair number of high notes, and no dull spots, although it seems to burn a little less sweet with differing cadences. There is a lot of fruitiness to this blend too. It never burns hot, even when pushed and in mainly mild in strength only jumping toward medium in the late stages of the bowl. I didn’t experience some of the issues that others have mentioned concerning relights, but I dried it, like I do with many McClelland flakes, to the point of almost brittle (barely pliable). Red & Black has become my new standard by which I now compare all McClelland Virginia’s and this won’t replace that, but as straight stoved Virginia’s go, this is a very good choice.
Mar 17, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I am not the biggest fan of Dark Stoved Virginia's but I do enjoy a bowl here or there such as Dark Star, the preparation, difficulty in rubbing out and drying time usually outweighs the delicious flavor for me (YMMV) and I usually prefer the brightness of orange, red and lemon leaf. Very mild in nicotine and as usual with Butera and McClelland, wonderful leaf is used. I am giving it 3 stars as I believe Stoved VIrginia lovers will enjoy DS immensely and I do recommend it but for me it's really a 2 and a half star blend just as a personal preference. Va's stoved this much can be a hot air and tasteless experience but DS does at times have a tasty sweet and sour tangy flavor that when in the zone can be very enjoyable.
Sep 10, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Jet black broken flakes with an aroma of dried citrus peel and something musty. Mushroom perhaps, damp earth...something in that spectrum. The flakes are quite moist, a little greasy almost, and tough.

This is not an easy tobacco. It lights well enough but then burns at a smoulder, always on the brink of extinction. At times it gets a full burn with lovely plumes of smoke, but this is a false hope, and the tobacco soon returns to its minimal burn.

At first light the virginia origins are clear as a bell, with vibrant lemon scents. This never abates. But five or ten minute into the smoke there is a dramatic shift and smoky, mushroom notes emerge.

This tobacco is both sweet and sour. There is some pepper on the tongue. It burns just on the acceptable side of hot and produces some wetness.

This is not a tobacco for tyros and I believe to get the best of this baccy one will need to be really on one's game. One of the few tobaccos I have had that did better in briar than clay.

Nov 30, 2011 Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Dark Stoved is mild but interesting stuff. It's a black broken flake with a few little lighter strands evident when it gets rubbed out. The tin aroma combines the familiar high-toned sourness of a McClelland Virginia with some very appealing Christmas cake scents—dried fruits, spiced plums, that kind of thing. I'm a sucker for those nostalgia-inducing smells, by the way, so whatever positive comments emerge from this review may be have been twisted out of me by that collection of aromas.

When Dark Stoved is good, it's very good. The tin aromas come through nicely in the smoke and I'm reminded of plum pudding with brandy-spiked hard sauce. That's a pretty impressive aromatic complex for a tobacco that claims to be pure, stoved Virginia.

But this is also a fussy tobacco. The first bowl I smoked wasn't dry enough and I was left with a hot, tasteless smoke that almost had me throwing in the towel. Slower smoking and proper drying are essential for all Virginias, but I think Dark Stoved could act as the yardstick for that advice. Throw this at a new smoker interested in Virginias and tell him to come back when he's getting nice smokes from it. I completely understand those reviewers who complain that this is nothing but hot air or that it's tasteless. I had a few smokes that confirmed those comments.

But I've also had some very nice smokes, especially toward the bottom of the tin I jarred up a couple of years ago. Consistency is important, of course. But I'm going to rate this based on the best bowls it gave me, not on the worst.
Sep 25, 2011 Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable
Strange blend. First - it is black like a devil. Second - it smells like spoiled fruit jam. Third - it is sticky and far too humid. Directly from the tin it is unsmokable, because of its humidity. It needs at least one day of drying in room temperature. Through this process, this tobacco fills the room with its mysterious aroma, easy to confuse with smell of rotten apples. When more or less dry, it is easier to smoke, but still difficult to fill the pipe, because previously too wet flakes now are, well, too hard. It is certainly not EASY tobacco. Generally, I consider this blend rather strange than pleasant. Butera or not, it is most McClelland's blend, which I've ever tried. If somebody like fruit vinegar in big quantities, it is his choice. I am not fully convinced.
Jan 10, 2011 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I found this tobacco tasteless. I expected some rich sweet and spicy flavors from this stoved tobacco. But it could not satisfy my needs. It is stoved too much! I don't know how to finish this little tin as I hate to throw away tobaccos.
Dec 21, 2005 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
This is a nice stoved Virginia. A little nicer than 5105 but not perfect. It is good enough that I keep a tin of it around all the time. It is nice outside in the winter. It has a nice sweetness to it. And an unusual dryness to it as well.
May 23, 2005 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Emmbee's review came in a week too late for me. Being a fan of Dark Star and 2035, I looked forward to a change of pace.

How the makers of the excellent blends above can create, much less market Dark Stoved is beyond me.

Avoid this blend at all costs. Just awful.
Dec 18, 2004 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Butera?s Royal Vintage Dark Stoved tobacco is the product of a collaboration between pipe carver Michael Butera and the McClelland Tobacco Company.

The initial tin aroma has an acidic characteristic that is a good indication that this blend was indeed produced by McClelland. The aroma in itself is dark and tangy with a spicy background. This blend is simply a deeply stoved lemon Virginia leaf. The basic color of this tobacco is dark with lighter shades distributed randomly throughout. The tobacco contains a fairly large amount of sugar crystals.

The cut of Dark Stoved is a rather ragged medium-thick flake cut. Dark Stoved tends to rub out easier than its flake counterparts such as Dark Star. No real tearing is needed. The initial moisture is medium-high and removal of some of this moisture improves the qualities of the smoke.

If dried properly, Royal Vintage Dark Stoved lights fairly well and has a slow, consistent, and mostly complete burn. The burn spreads quite well. The room note is similar in many respects to the average dark stoved Virginia blend in that it is strong but pleasant.

The taste of Dark Stoved is dark, tangy, and slightly spicy. This flavor becomes less tart, sweeter, and creamier as the smoke progresses. The bite can be considerable but if the flakes are brought to the correct moisture level, and the blend is smoked slow and smoothly, than the bite can be minimized a good deal. The smoke given off is smooth and medium thick.

Butera?s Royal Vintage Dark Stoved is very similar to McClelland?s Dark Star although it seems slightly less refined and not as complex in flavor. Dark Stoved is of a high quality tobacco and is a pleasant rendition of a stoved Virginia blend.
Sep 01, 2004 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
Well, well, you can't even remotely think that this isn't a McClelland, from the tin shape to the smell after opening (dried plums with some of that "vinegary" trace). This one is very similar to Dark Star, but a bit less dark and leathery, more chocolatey. The slices of flake rub out quite easily, and exhibit some moisture (nothing to worry about, though). Taste is quite consistent from beginning to end: a subtle, dark, slightly fruity experience which requires calm and patience. First, not to be scorched, but also to appreciate all the nuances: it is not a very strong blend (neither taste-wise nor nicotine-wise). To my taste is similar to a cross between Dark Star and Orlick Dark Strong Kentucky. Towards the end some very pleasant chocolate notes start to become more and more evident. A very fine tobacco, ideal for an evening smoke: a group 5 bowl of this can last me 75-80 minutes.

target="_blank"