Mac Baren Virginia No. 1

(2.78)
In 1955 Virginia No. 1 was introduced to the world’s pipe smokers, and today Virginia No. 1 is one of the Mac Baren Classics. The natural sweetness from the carefully selected Virginia tobaccos, are to be enjoyed every time you light up this magnificent blend. In addition to a slow, cool smoke this ready rubbed blend gives you the slightly sweet smoke. Try the Virginia No. 1 and find out for yourself why Virginia No. 1 is reckoned as a Mac Baren Classic Blend.
Notes: Introduced in 1957, according to Mac Baren's website. Introduced in 1955, according to the tin description.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.78 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 261 - 270 of 271 Reviews
Apr 19, 2008 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is one of my favorite Virginia blends. In the can it has that ?barn? smell that many Virginia?s have. Burning in the pipe, it has a nice, subtle, and natural sweetness. Can it bite? Indeed, which is why I gave three stars rather than four, but if you sip, it can be a wonderfully relaxing experience. I find myself grabbing this tin when I get back to my office after lunch with a nice cup of tea as I ease back into the grind. I wish the folks at McB could figure out how to make this (and nearly all their other tobaccos) a little less "bitey."
Apr 11, 2008 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I purchased a few oz. of this from my local tobacconist's bulk bins just to try it out. It has some bite like most VAs, but good technique will help eliminate this problem.

The flavor has some depth thanks to the variety of VA used in this blend, and it smokes easily down to a fine gray ash. The taste is much improved by rubbing it out a bit more than I usually prefer.

As a VA this is pretty good and I think it stands up there with other straight VA blends I have tried and it is not very pricey. I will buy more of it, and so I give it 3 stars. (I prefer Gawith's Best Brown, for frame of reference.)
Jan 25, 2008 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
After reading other reviews here I thought I was in for a real let down with this blend...Not so. My tin was at the perfect moisture level and lit with one match. I found a mild,sweet, Virginia taste which was there right to the bottom of the bowl. There was no bite and I didn't find this to smoke hot, although I smoked it slow. I'll definitely buy another tin of this in the future.
Nov 27, 2007 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
Im just getting away from aromatics after coming back to the pipe about 2 months ago. I explained to my tobacco guy what I wanted out of a smoke and he gave me some suggestions. This was one of them, and I have been thanking him for it.

All my pipes are small to medium bowls, so my smoking experience is based on that.

Lights and Burns great.

The intial light can be a little harsh on the mouth if you go crazy puffin to get her lit, but after that, ohh... yummy is all I can say.

For being new to Virginias, this experience will keep me with them. Naturally sweet without any goopy casing... and it changes on each area of the tounge. No bite here, but Im a slooowww puffer. If you savor this tobacco, she will be nice to your stamp licker. Room note is odd, and my better half compared it to burning leaves, so unfortunatley, this cannot be a regular in the house.

All in all... I love this blend. It will no doubt be in my regular lineup and lead me to try additional Virginias.

Enjoyed a bowl of this while refinishing a fine side table I got at an antique store for $5. Great while working.

9 out of 10 here.

***UPDATE 11/27/07 I have had several more bowls of this, and almost finished the ounce I have purchased. It can definetly be a tounge biter, even for a slow puffer. It seems the first 1/3 of the bowl is destined to be hell, after that, not bad. Im gonna have to down this to 8 out of 10 and 3 stars.
Aug 25, 2007 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
Another beautiful tobacco from MacBaren. This a ready rubbed VA with big flakes. The smell is nice and full, just a tiny sweet, the tobacco all golden.

But it's an all VA that didn't age much, so yes, you can expect a tongue bitting tobacco that will go flat after a while, quite quickly to be frank. But you can't expect miracles from a straight young VA with no Périque, latakia or turkish tobaccos to complement it.

If you're kind of experienced, you will like the tobacco, but not the smoke. Way too mild! BUT for anybody starting off, this will prove rather tasty, until you get higher in the smoking league.
Jun 23, 2007 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Its funny, but we all in life are taken by pretense from time to time, and in the case of MB's Virginia #1 the facade got me. From the attractive large, substantially weighted, attractive tin to the beautiful reddish virginia that lie therein...I was taken. This stuff burns hotter then any other tobacco to which I have set flame.

One of the kind reviewers had mentioned INCENDIARY with regard to either this blend or another MB, and I must agree.

I really wanted to like this one...it looked so good and smelled even better. But as I lie here with a morphine drip to help squelch the pain I simply cannot recommend this tobacco unless you have a fiberglass tongue....well Im off to the hyperbaric chamber to start rehab.
Mar 02, 2007 Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I like a simple smoke and this certainly is simple. While I lean toward crisper burley blends, this very sweet Virginian is a nice change of pace. I like the slow burning nature of this smoke which I find true of many Mac Baren blends. It works great as a mixer with other tobacco, but I only want to buy it for that purpose if I can get it cheap. I guess that actually sums up my feelings about this blend, it is not worth going out of my way for but I will buy it whenever I find a bargain on it.
Apr 13, 2006 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I could smoke this morning, noon and night. It's mild, unobtrusive and just a nice smoke. It has the honey sweetness to it, as others have mentioned many times before. As much as I love Rattray's Red Raparee or spicier blends, I appreciate the simpler smokes as well. There is nothing fancy about VA No 1, which is part of its charm to me. You want Virginia, you got Virginia.

Bite? What bite? I believe bite is caused by chemical reactions that we have different reactions to. Me, I can puff this just about however I want to and never get bitten. The same goes for all of the MacBaren offerings. They all behave nicely. In fact, the only time I got bitten, was when I started smoking the pipe. I don't think it has anything to do with mastering the draw. I believe it's biology through and through.

To VA lovers, go ahead and give this a go. You might like it, you might not. Personally I will be having a lbs or two in storage for those simple days.
Feb 24, 2005 Medium Medium Mild Pleasant
This one is the first virginia I ever smoked. The first time it gives me very much tongue bite. Normaly I am a fast puffer but that is not done with this blend. After smoking a few bowls an slowing down my puffing speed I found it a nice sweet tobacco. I rub it out a bit more for easier packing and lighting. I smoke it in a big bowl with slow pufs. The first minutes after lighting it is sharp to the tongue but more towards the bottom I really enjoy it. There I didn't always have a opened tin I say it is an occasional smoke for me.
Sep 06, 2004 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I found this to be a tolerable Virginia. It starts off well, but as the bowl progresses, I start to notice a sweetness that was not of 'natural origin'? It just didn?t seem to belong. I think the quality of the leaf was fine, but if they wanted to add something, it should have been some other form of Va, rather than the casing they opted for. Once that flavoring takes over, it's relentless.

It may be MacBarens? No. 1, but it isn?t my first choice.

target="_blank"