Notes: Special Virginia tobacco from South America is fermented for many hours to create this dark black cavendish. A light caramel mixed with sweet fruit flavors gives this blend a round and mild aroma.

BrandNewminster
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.2
StevieB (1911)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Newminster - No. 47 Danish Black.

I bought from bulk to try and avoid too much moisture from a sealed tin and it paid off: perfect. It's coarse enough to warrant the name Coarse but not too much so as to cause implications. The aroma from the pouch is quite sweet and the mix is jet black.

47 lights easily, it only takes a fast touch. The smoke which follows is pleasant enough, albeit, nothing extraordinary. I'm not too sure what fruits, exactly, have been used, but I'd be inclined to sway toward berries of some sort. The caramel's a consistent addition, from beginning to end. 47 gives a stable burn, not requiring much attention, producing a cool smoke.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: pleasant.

Newminster No. 47? Sure, it's a pleasant smoke, but no better than two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday pipe

meermortal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meermortal (1)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

This one certainly isn't going to offend anyone - in fact they might not know you're smoking it, YOU might not even know you're smoking it ! One of my fav aros is 50/50 Lanes RLP-6 and McClellands VBC - I tried replacing the VBC with the Danish Black but it just doesn't cut it. Very little, if any, flavor IMO, burns well, doesn't bite, but I'll take a pass on buying it again. It will leave you wanting more - more strength, more flavor, more taste.

Pipe Used: Peterson system 314, jobey stromoli

Age When Smoked: when purchased

Similar Blends: Lanes BC-A, McClelland VBC.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

I ordered 8 oz.s of No. 47 Danish Black from the fine folks at Pipes and Cigars. I saw this in a B&M and gave it a whiff, ran it through my fingers, and it seemed like a good Black Cav. Something I could smoke inside without the smell bothering the wife and kids. Got it today. after a couple of bowls, I am pleasantly surprised. Smells great in the bag, and after I loaded my Viking and puffing without a light, I knew this would taste really good. A vanilla, rum smell. The taste lit is even better, but the thing I like best about this blend is that it does not set my tongue on fire like some Danish blends. Not as heavily cased as, say Lane BCA. It smoked down to a clean ash, and does not gurgle. Have had many compliments on the smell. Even in public, which in this climate of PC is a shock. Overall, a very good smoke. The price is nice as well.

Similar Blends: Lane BCA. Peter Stokkebye Black Danske..

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (46)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Nice little pay-no-mind black Cavendish with fruit and caramel casing...Casing, as in most black cavendishes overwhelms the taste of the tobacco...But, you don't smoke black Cavendish for the tobacco...You smoke for the casing(s) and for the fact that the wife doesn't run your butt out of the house when you light up...Pleasant change from the ubiquitous vanilla flavoring.

Pipe Used: various in testing

Age When Smoked: purchased within the week

Similar Blends: any other non-descript black Cavendish which is heavily cased..

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (247)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well I must be a freak, since I really enjoyed this low scoring tobacco. In fact, I've had good luck with almost every Newminster blend I've picked up.

The jet black Cavendish reminded me of Mac Baren's 7 Seas Black shredded rubber, but with even more mouth watering aroma. The Vanilla had the additional hook of 'something' fruity - without the smog of some overly topped, ghost laden, Cherry - akin to a lower proof flavored rum.

The thin cut was moist, free of unruly bits, yet more rubbery than damp. It fired up well enough, and did a great job smoldering. All the while pumping out a deep velvety smoke that was light on nicotine/bite, yet full of rich flavor. This wasn't an overly sweet Vanilla, but certainly passed for candy, and left a sugary film in the mouth.

Not the kind of blend you will get much in the way of natural tobacco taste, but easily one of my favorite lower priced bulk Aromatics I will be reordering, simply for the great job of translating smell-to-smoke.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (58)

Not impressed with this variety enough to consider reordering it. No bite. No nicotine. A bit of a problem to keep lit. I guess this was just to mild.

Pipe Used: cob with filter